Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play: Rule The Waves

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Balance budget, balance tension, maximize prestige. Bully Nippon.

And gimme a battleship, name it HyperWeapon.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Maximize prestige. Maximize budget. Balance tension until some other power pisses us off. Then the bear claws come out.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Maximise Prestige
Maximise Budget
Balance Tension

Gimme an armoured cruiser and call it Kalinin, Pacific Fleet.

:hero:

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
The great Dreaad wants to go to the pacific. Can you attack merchant vessels or something? :lol: If not that's okay, I can wait for real targets.

Maximise Prestige
Tension against those squid eating heathens.
And who needs a budget when you have the five year plan!

:avatard:

Dayyālu

Arcane
The great Dreaad wants to go to the pacific. Can you attack merchant vessels or something? :lol: If not that's okay, I can wait for real targets.

You can do that in three ways, in fact.

First, you can set your ships to Raid. Light Cruisers are good for that, but you can use CA or even battleships. Armed Merchant cruisers are built for that shit. The Raid order will set your ship to automatically sink and harass the enemy shipping, gaining you Victory Points in the case of war. The enemy will do the same, and protecting your shipping lanes is important.

Second, you can get merchant ships on Cruiser raid missions or in Base raid missions, on the tactical battles. You can sink them, and in some tactical mission getting 2 or more is a requisite.

Third, Subs. Subs will automatically harass enemy shipping, and you can set the pace and the freedom of their attacks. But subs, being the only "borderline" unit simulated in RTW, have special rules attached to them and we can't control them directly.

Names have been registered, the Light Cruisers are still free. The fleet naming conventions are now mostly a disgrace, and that fills me with pride.

And everyone seems to be keen to be fucked by the Nipponese, guys, it's not like they'll get a surprise torped attack on the first month and sink three of our battleships....

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
E2qI0qb.jpg

By Nicholas' brofist!

Kontr-admiral Iyul Chetverti signing for duty. I take the other heavy cruiser and christen it Quad Bless.

edit: Europe and Baltic sound good. (Why no Black Sea fleet?)

another edit: light cruiser will do, if heavies are gone.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Our Overall Naval Policy until changed (maybe I'll ask for review every five years, the Glorious Five Years Plan for the Navy):

Maximise Prestige
Maximise Tension (Target: Japan)
Maximise Budget Expense

This gonna be so good, guys. So good.

rOnfN28.gif

Let's form the great Pacific Fleet, then! Those heroes will fight for Mother Russia on the shores of the other ocean, against yellow monkeys, arrogant Anglos and the random German colony.

iyMv5hp.gif

The desire to fuck Japan was kinda strong with the audience (I don't know why) so here we see their line-up from the Almanac. Three Battleships, six cruisers and 13 Destroyers. Not a lot, but enough to give our Pacific Fleet a bloody nose is we don't act wisely. Let's roll in with the turns.

As we want to maximise expense, I design and order two new Light Cruisers as they are always useful for something. And I order to get bigger docks. If I leave those sad bastards of the private industry to develop them I'll still have 15k tons docks in 1990. I max research also, my scientists need all the vodka I can provide.

Let's keep the months rolling. Our Pacific Fleet keeps travelling, but....

zQsZfq5.gif

This is an example of a random event. One of our cruisers was helping our magnificent Intelligence Ops around Korea or Mexico or some non-entity nation and it encountered some problems. Well, our Naval Policy is to go full "Fuck you" so we send a strong group of ships, and we get our Cruiser back without expense. Britain, and all the other powers, don't take this well (even if we gain Prestige).

Kc0xjLN.gif

As we truck on, we get another Event, this one directly related to our Autocratic form of government. The Steel industry, without doubt controlled by the Germans, want to increase Naval Expenditure. All the results would be positive for us, but we uphold the Dignity of the Navy (and Prestige is our main target) and we tell them to fuck off. The Navy is for the Glory of the Czar of all the Russkies, not for an overly elaborate Military-Industrial complex.

MVbbwEU.gif

5zSol6y.gif

Our scientists, fuelled by alcohol and by the Grace of God, start making progress. Those are incremental breakthroughs, they let us improve the standard stats of our ships and improve the newly built models.

ECWd1V1.gif

This is an example of a standard turn message report. Our CL of Vesta class has been delayed, Germany, France and the US commission new Cruisers and those subhuman Austrians and Japs fail to grasp basic research concepts. How inferior is their intelligentsia to our finest minds!
GU5f6Nl.gif

New docks ready and built. We can now design and build domestically up to 17k tons ships. Yeeeeh!

And then, after a quiet year, we reach January.

RL3iEKK.gif

HOLY SHIT BRITAIN WANTS TO KILL US

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

War with Britain would be a disaster. We can try to fight, but their numerical advantage is big and they have excellent research and crew quality.

I ask my Naval Cabinet: DO WE TRY TO LESSEN TENSION WITH BRITAIN or WE KEEP THE USUAL NAVAL POLICY, WAR BE DAMNED?

4-7-inch-gunzzz.jpg

The Britons are out to get us! (a 5 inch gun in British colonial service)

I'll make a post later (or tomorrow) to detail Ship Design&Building. It's kind of an important part, and I want my faithful deranged comrades to have a say on that. For now, your call. And yes, peace turns without design are quiet, as you can see.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Try and increase prestige but beat azn as soon as you can. Just beware of Pantsu-class battlecruisers and insidious Futamarines.

This post has resulted in a search. There is, in fact, art of both of that. Thanks, Matalarata.

Thanks.

Beats me. The Black Sea itself is not simulated, a weird design choice indeed.

i wana ship too

name it "толстый трансвестит"

I discovered that the game does not accepts Cyrillic. "Tolstoy Tranvestit"?

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
The desire to fuck Japan was kinda strong with the audience (I don't know why)

Japan doesn't stand a chance. They were lucky once (close call), but now the war genius of Admiral Dayyalu stands on our side. Surely we can do better.

DO WE TRY TO LESSEN TENSION WITH BRITAIN or WE KEEP THE USUAL NAVAL POLICY, WAR BE DAMNED?

Give them one chance to reconsider. Use threats and military show-off. Remind them who got the bigger balls. Throw in some bluffing too, just in case. If everything else fails, gotta fight on two fronts for the glory of Czar.

It's usually spelled as Tsar or Tzar, but who cares

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, try to appease the english somewhat for now. We can tango with them later. Right now, we need to teach some manners to the rice-eaters.

tindrli

Arcane
Try and increase prestige but beat azn as soon as you can. Just beware of Pantsu-class battlecruisers and insidious Futamarines.

This post has resulted in a search. There is, in fact, art of both of that. Thanks, Matalarata.

Thanks.

Beats me. The Black Sea itself is not simulated, a weird design choice indeed.

i wana ship too

name it "толстый трансвестит"

I discovered that the game does not accepts Cyrillic. "Tolstoy Tranvestit"?

fine by me bro, beside i wanted to name it "FAT TRANNY" but google translate seems to deliver as usual

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
Is maximizing tension a general policy of simply pissing other countries off, or do you have any say in which country you raise tension with?

In case of the latter, make the Brits calm their tits. If the former, well, just keep on antagonizing everyone.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Is maximizing tension a general policy of simply pissing other countries off, or do you have any say in which country you raise tension with?

Both. Tension hits are always a bet, but you are sometimes blessed by your diplomats to choose the target of your warmongering. Not in this case.

In this case, the Tension hits favoured Britain greatly (see for example how the US instead has lowered Tension). I do not know if it's automatic or RNG-derived.

With a bit of luck, our diplomats will work on lessening the friction. I'll remember that we do not have direct control of the diplomatic situation: we can suggest and influence through events, but never direct. Think of us as the equivalent of the AI Admiral that you can set up in a Paradox game.

As a small note, here I'll admit the worst problem of RTW: AI nations, if they are not allied with you, never fight between each other. I mean, NEVER. If we get an alliance with France against Britain the French fleet will help with Victory Points and both sink or lose ships, but if left alone the AI will only research, build and scrap ships, waiting for us to get into the maw.

I'll get the Design post tomorrow.

...I feel dirty inside now.

Such is the wage of all sins.

It's usually spelled as Tsar or Tzar, but who cares

:negative:

In our tongue, it's "Zar". And Czar sounded a little like the Latin Ke-sar. Languages are difficult, men

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Those British bastards!

$(KGrHqN,!i0E1NUp0BpVBNe9jcg36Q~~_1.JPG

The Tsar is crying. Why do you post treacherous propaganda from regimes that can happen in game if we fuck up hard enough that will never exist because everyone loves our Little Father? Are you a treacherous lover of Lutherans Anglicans and Asians, Dreaad? Do you entertain sympathies with the Maori subjects of the British crown?

If you know anything about the Jap side on the Russo-Japanese war or about Jap ships, pliz post. More history and less animu would be great. And I don't know a thing, bar Internet resources.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I believe lack of coaling/maintenance facilities between the Atlantic and Pacific contributed to the Russian trouncing. Ships arrived late and in poor condition to fight.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
The Tsar is crying. Why do you post treacherous propaganda from regimes that can happen in game if we fuck up hard enough that will never exist because everyone loves our Little Father? Are you a treacherous lover of Lutherans Anglicans and Asians, Dreaad? Do you entertain sympathies with the Maori subjects of the British crown?
I'm a nationalist! I couldn't care less if the person in charge is the Tzar, a random dictator or Satan himself :lol:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Actually more humiliating than loss of southern Sakhalin was the Wapanese occupation of Siberia

lHnDMT4.jpg

RjHjCAY.jpg

:russia:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom