Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Let's Unbox Boxes in Wasteland 2! (The End)

I love how, step by step, RK-san is revealing to us his past and current life, his hopes, dreams and deepest regrets. I teared up more than once while reading this. Very touching.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I love how, step by step, RK-san is revealing to us his past and current life, his hopes, dreams and deepest regrets. I teared up more than once while reading this. Very touching.
Who knew one could ever so effortlessly capture the very essence of what it means to be human?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
yeah man
2014-08-21%2011.54.32.jpg

yerli.png

kfc.jpg

sochi-bear-crying.gif

RK47

Patron
guo00.jpg

guo01.jpg

guo02.jpg

01.jpg

There is no escaping the tower's range. The attacker do have a pick of where they want to die, though.
They can either die below the walls, or across the river.
In desperation, one of the attacking officers hurled insult at Cao Ren.

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

This act of provocation has the undesired effect of officers lose sight of the big picture. Cao Ren refuses to take order until Chen Deng is defeated.

It took him 3 days of battle to realize they're both azns and therefore have small penis.

05.jpg

Elsewhere, Xiahou Yuan is just massacring the attackers without so much of a resistance.

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Everything's going so well, until...
09.jpg

rk.jpg
Damn it! They're attacking two separate cities at once?!
zhang.jpg
Difen, focus on the current battle!
rk.jpg
Yes, once we've dealt with the loyalists here, we'll move out to Wan! Men! Pick up the pace!
10.jpg

yuan.jpg
Xiahou Yuan hears your command! Unleash fury!
11.jpg

12.jpg

Four thousand men died in that volley.
The cowering men refused to cross the river, begging their commander to let them retreat.

rk.jpg
If they're so hesitant in advancing, then we'll do it instead! Towers! Disassemble and advance!

13.jpg

rk.jpg
Set up towers and target the forces deep across the river!
14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

heavy-arms-gundam-o.gif

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

rk.jpg
Milord, this is no time to celebrate! I have to go to Wan!
zhang.jpg
Go, Divine General. Heavens be with you.
rk.jpg
Men! With me!
20.jpg

I can only hope we're not too late for the 11,000 defenders in the city.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Flame cannons = siege towers > ram > catapult

And that's way too much chicken for a single man. :what:

RK47

Patron
21.jpg

Are we gonna make it in time?
22.jpg

rk.jpg
Just in time!
23.jpg

24.jpg

rk.jpg
Less than ten thousand defenders left. Just in time!

I love the dynamic army movement - that 'attack-in-the-middle-of-attack' is a first for me in RTK series but this reinforcements system is too simplistic. The army positions are reset, attackers are back to where they started, and the defenders gained back their defensive advantage.

rk.jpg
Assemble the towers! Let's destroy them!
25.jpg

One offensive cavalry is dumb enough to advance.

26.jpg

Right onto my path. :smug:

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

Wow. Killed 2,000. Delicious. But that's just the starter...

31.jpg

Look at those scrumptious army marching in the open...

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

Didn't even scratch the gate.
A week passed, the defenders are about to call this siege a bust.

36.jpg

37.jpg

They lasted another week.

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

Those towers are just so good. 50,000 of them were wiped out with barely a thousand loss on our side.

41.jpg

42.jpg

rk.jpg
Time to head back home.
guo.jpg
Did the siege tower satisfy you?
rk.jpg
I think for the very first time, I'm confident we can take Luo Yang.
43.jpg

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's like asking whether Crusader Kings or Hearts of Iron is better.

RK47

Patron
Is X or XI better?

Honestly? Both have up and downs.
X is probably a decent attempt at RPG/TBS hybrid.
+ The whole Vassal - Prefect - Viceroy - Sovereign rank management advances was interesting to experience.
+ Wide skill repertoire that doesn't make a single officer stuck at a single niche. A few of them are highly talented at multiple disciplines.
+ Distinction between War & Leadership. The former assists in duels and fortifying defenses, while the latter boosts army effectiveness.
+ Wide array of tactics and skills - you have weather wizards, direct commands, trap building, ambushers.

However, the whole battle aspect is let down by poor AI. A lot of times, I seem to have the advantage, only to watch my liege AI throwing it all away in a series of questionable battle tactics.
And the relationship system isn't as deep as it seems. You simply spam interaction until they like you enough to join.
Finally, the tedium of managing an empire will get to you eventually especially when you wonder why no matter who's in charge a of city, be it Zhou Yu or Lei Bo, they seem to suffer from a severe case of stupid.

XI is a departure from those tedious man to man management & vassal rank advancements, it tries to go back to its root: Combat Combat Combat Combat and more Combat.
+ They threw away the multi-skill learning - and gave good officers a unique niche ability. This makes most battles somewhat a predictable affair. Lu Bu is near unstoppable unless stopped by equally talented generals. Zhuge Liang strategies never fail. All in a all, good change but too easily broken.
+ Deputies and 2nd Deputy system allows the dreaded 'Ultra Combo' of Super Strategist team of Zhuge Liang / Ma Su or Unstoppable Majestic Cavalry of Lu Bu / Lu Lingqi / Zhang Liao. None of them took any brains to form. And they break the game.

The biggest downside of XI is that they gave a lot of players overpowered options but the AI wasn't designed to take advantage of this. I've seen Cao Cao sending his mistress to push the ram, and leaving the stupid Xu Zhu alone, without a deputy to cover for his intellect deficiency. If XI had good AI and a deeper Diplomacy system it would've been perfect.
Campaign maps could've been done better to portray sieges as a massive siege endeavor. All city siege are just about putting a siege tower within striking distance while your army mow down anyone that comes close. Too simple, and too effective.

Now suppose if both side have their AI aspect perfected I'd say RTK X would be the clear winner in my book. It's just an interesting concept to play under famous figures like Liu Bei the underdog, Sun Ce the Conqueror and watch as your side grow from something small as a mere vassal and rose eventually to become a Sovereign.

You cannot have that in RTK XI. The moment your last city is captured, it's game over. In RTK X, you can go rogue and roam the land, capture another city or serve another lord, bide your time and revolt.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I think the biggest difference is just that X is heavily focused on the character level, while XI and XII, like most of the previous entries, stays on the factional level. You can think of 7, 8 and 10 like Taikou Risshiden, ROTK version. It all depends on your preference, really.

RK47

Patron
I think the biggest difference is just that X is heavily focused on the character level, while XI and XII, like most of the previous entries, stays on the factional level. You can think of 7, 8 and 10 like Taikou Risshiden, ROTK version.

I believe that is a good direction to take, but I gotta say KOEI is really guilty of discarding previous installments ideas, whether they are good or bad.
Starting a new game development every goddamn time a sequel is announced is a waste of ideas, not to mention introducing new flaws and bugs in the mechanics with AI incapable of taking advantage of the new mechanics effectively. C'mon Paradox knew how to do this, why can't you learn?!

Hence, I'm surprised they blamed declining sales as the ending of RTK series.
FFS, who could blame your customers when you kept dishing out crap?
Even the combat is real time in RTK12 - WTF, KOEI?
And to hear them introduce CHARACTER PORTRAIT DLC for RTK12 is just hilarious.

This is Lu Bu in RTK12
Lubu-online-rotk12.jpg

This is Lu Bu after you spend more money - he finally shuts his mouth.

L%C3%BC_Bu_-_RTKXII_TB.jpg

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I believe that is a good direction to take, but I gotta say KOEI is really guilty of discarding previous installments ideas, whether they are good or bad.
Starting a new game development every goddamn time a sequel is announced is a waste of ideas, not to mention introducing new flaws and bugs in the mechanics with AI incapable of taking advantage of the new mechanics effectively. C'mon Paradox knew how to do this, why can't you learn?!

They somehow managed to improve management system from 7 to 8 but did a hackjob on the battle system at the same time. They went back to old grounds in 9 for some reason, then just as quickly changed course for 10, which had potential but they went full aspie with the management.

It just feels like their direction for RoTK games was driven by the whims and ideas of the lead producer rather than any actual market feedback, to be honest.

RK47

Patron
KICKSTARTER LAH
Anyway , how to get RTK8 - you said it's the most polished, gotta take a look at it.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, I backtracked on that because I played the expansion ver on PC, as I always do for RoTK games. They're the definitive version. The original versions always lack polish, so I can't say whether ori 8 is as well-crafted as I remember. RoTK X expansion allows you to marry created waifu officers and continue as your kid, for example. Not sure about PS2 though.

RK47

Patron
Hm. PS2 - ver lacks PUK patch, hence no waifu.
But that's OK, I don't wanna get married anyway.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
They usually have AI improvements and other gameplay tweaks too. If you can manage the wall of Chinese/Japanese texts, I'd always recommend the PC versions first and foremost.

RK47

Patron
01.jpg

Looks like everybody did their work while I was gone.

02.jpg

Let's resume normal business hours...

03.jpg

More spying. And I want more towers.

04.jpg

With that done, it's time to finish my training.

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Yes, at higher fame level, you can do quests for items. It's pretty good to devote your time to collect a few items that may help with your skills.

12.jpg

Shang Dang is the third loyalist stronghold that is very close to Luo Yang and He Fei. Another 100k garrison to wipe when the time comes. While far to the west lies their city of Chang An, facing Dong Zhuo's territory.

13.jpg

Let's inspect that city as well, plant a spy network.

14.jpg

What the spy network actually does is give an early warning system whenever they march out for battle - like this one.

15.jpg

16.jpg

This is bigger than last time. If I don't go, they're probably done for.
It's a good thing most of my talented officers have finished their assignments.

17.jpg

rk.jpg
Summon the officers to the war council!
guard.jpg
At once!
rk.jpg
Men! The enemy is once again at the gates of Xu Chang. Our scouts have reported a force of 180,000 have started their siege on Xu Chang.
18.jpg

rk.jpg
I'm assembling a relief force to Xu Chang, step forward and receive your command when your name is called upon! Xiahou Yuan, Cao Ren, Man Chong and Ji Ling! Assume command and march!
19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

ren.jpg
Commander, it looks like we're not too late.
22.jpg

23.jpg

rk.jpg
A hundred seventy thousand corpses to bury.
yuan.jpg
Guo Jia will be pleased.
chong.jpg
Commander, we're in position and ready to deploy.
rk.jpg
Xiahou Yuan! BURN!
24.jpg

guard.jpg
Oh god, it's those siege towers! Aieeeee!
tumblr_mkwo3a22wt1s34tygo1_500.gif

25.jpg

yuan.jpg
That fire will spread quickly. If only we have the perfect wind...
rk.jpg
That can be arranged.
26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

yuan.jpg
Fantastic!
30.jpg

31.jpg

He Jin's forces suddenly lost the will to advance, caught by the blaze on the shore, while forward lies the killing field. It was going so well until the siege towers arrive. Even the defenders have rediscovered their courage and started crossing the stream to attack.

32.jpg

A more puzzling development is the sudden shift of wind once the fire started. A deadly coincidence.

37.jpg

As thousands of his troops flee in disarray, he could make out several more thousand flaming barrage incoming. There was no place to run.

38.jpg

jin.jpg
Curse the very heavens...
39.jpg

Even the troops that made it to the shore were victims of ambush upon immediately landing.

40.jpg

41.jpg

jin.jpg
They didn't fight like this, 6 years ago. Until...

His thoughts were interrupted as the gates burst open and a charge by the defending cavalry routed another unit that made it to the shore.

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

jin.jpg
Fools! Do not stay in the open! BREAK DOWN THE GATES!
46.jpg

47.jpg

jin.jpg
This is hopeless! RAAAAARGHHH! Damn you!
48.jpg

49.jpg

rk.jpg
Not so fast!
50.jpg

51.jpg

rk.jpg
Take him away! Resume ambush positions!

The defenses were impenetrable.
For another week, the attackers threw themselves into the killing fields.

52.jpg

One by one, the Loyalists fled.

53.jpg

54.jpg

Day 19, the last of He Jin's troops were routed.
57.jpg

58.jpg

zhang.jpg
Once again, Difen, you came to our rescue.
rk.jpg
It was part of the plan, Lord Zhang.
guard.jpg
Sir, what shall we do with the prisoner?
59.jpg

rk.jpg
Zhang He, I don't know what story they've been selling you in Luo Yang, but you should join us.
60.jpg

rk.jpg
Very well. Let him go.
ren.jpg
Hmm, showing mercy now may backfire later...
61.jpg

rk.jpg
A good seed planted in poor soil will never yield a good harvest. He Jin will fail him again and again.
yuan.jpg
If you say so, Commander. Head count complete, we are ready to return.
rk.jpg
Yes, let's.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom