Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play Reunion.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
At your own pace is fine. If nothing else, there's a quite excellent Hard Nova LP to keep us entertained. (*hint* *hint*) ;)

No sense in forcing yhourself to play a game if it makes you:
kitten-cat-angry-black1.jpg

I mostly remember Reunion for the quite interesting box art. I would pick it up and look at the box whenever I was in the computer game store as a wee little geeklet. Then sigh and put it back on the shelf since I figured I probably didn't speak english well enough to enjoy it back then. This LP is an interesting glimpse at what might have been.

lightbane

Arcane
Worry not, we can wait. Besides, the world will end this week so probaby you won't have to bother about updating this :M

Cool name

Arcane
@ Ulminati:

Do not worry. I did abandon neither. First I got pretty badly sick and then I had to go visit my family for the holidays and had a lot of things to think about now that I am no longer on school. I did not even manage to log in to Star Trek Online enough times to get the free Breen ship on most of my characters. :'( Not that I could use it for much being mostly a Trill Science Officer but it does look sick all the same.

I will go back to writting updates once I do get over the fact etiquette did force me to eat and now I have to spend a month starving myself before I am brave enough to come near a mirror. D:

(and to be honest I have most of the next Hard Nova update already done, I only need to add the images and edit it so it is less of a checklist and more of a narration)

@ spekkio:

I am computer illiterate. I can't run Amiga emulators. Otherwise I would have done a Shadow Worlds LP already. :(

The only two games I did ever manage to run on Amiga emulators where, uhm, that one in which you are an astronaut that has to explore an alien planet through a mixture of free form exploration, puzzle solving, and plataforming and, uhm, that pretty one that does play like a mixture of Cadaver and The Immortal. :S And I am not even sure why did they work.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Hehe. Just count your lucky stars you weren't anywhere near my place during the holidays. Traditional danish christmas food is intended to build up some fat deposits to get you through the northern winter. Good thing there's only 10 days until I hit Austria for skiing. I could use the exercise. :P

Besides, I got KSP to tide me over when I start jonesing for space fun. And I recently reinstalled Fragile Allegiance. The only thing better than unleashing flesh eating viruses on the civilian population of my enemies is naming asteroids after codexers. Then mercilessly drilling them and extracting all their resources until only a hollow shell remains; outfitting them with large engines and setting them on a collision course with anyone who looks at me crosswise.

The BlackCat asteroid is currently my main missile manufacturing plant though, since it's kind of centrally placed in my territory and easy to ship ores to. So it's not likely to be hurled at anyone any time soon. Too many expensive buildings thingies and stuffies on it.

spekkio

Arcane
Agassi

I can write a "step by step" tutorial on setting up this game in WinUAE, if you need it. :roll:

Cool name

Arcane
@ spekkio: Please do so if it is not too much to ask. :) Does the same method you will post work with Shadoworlds?

@ Ulminati: Please do not turn my asteroid into a weapon of mass destruction. After being forced to eat several days in a row my fragile psyche will read that as you calling me a fat rock from space. Sobs will ensue. :eek: Is Fragile Alliance that one in which you are a corporative vassal mining asteroid as you do fight other corporative vassals and buy blueprints for stuff(ies)?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Indeed it is. Fragile Allegiance is probably one of the best 4x'es I've ever played. If I didn't just know I'd end up abandoning it 4-5 posts in, I'd LP it for the glory of Codexia. It did so many things right.

spekkio

Arcane
Agassi

I checked both games and it seems that Reunion is 9 floppies, while Shadoworlds - 2.

So...

Reunion is p. easy, thanks to some potato dudes. And ghostdog .
Just go here and grab the .exe (the smiling floppy icon). Save on disk and run. Press F12 ingame to change options.

As for Shadoworlds, I will have to prepare a special version of "noob-friendly winuae" for you. Let's say tomorrow?
In the meantime, check if Reunion works...

spekkio

Arcane
1. Grab winuae.rar from here.

2. Extract it somewhere, for example c:\winuae

3. Run it. Go to "Paths", choose "WinUAE default (old)" mode, press "Reset to defaults", press "Rescan ROMs". You should get this message:

z3IRM.jpg

4. Go to "Quickstart". Change model to "A600" + "2 MB Chip RAM", change configuration to "Windowed", click "Select image file". Browse to c:\winuae\discs\ and choose Disc#1 of Shadoworlds:

sQAFv.jpg

5. Press "Start". Cracktro should appear:

elZ1S.jpg

6. Skip it with LMB. Wait till the game loads (it will take some time). As long as the numbers in the lower-right corner are changing (next to "CD" icon), Floppy #1 is being accessed.

7. Choose squad (1):

8VHmP.jpg

8. Pick up your team:

0pBy1.jpg

9. You will have to change disc at this point:

r8Ig9.jpg

Press F12, go to "Quickstart" and select image file #2. Press OK. Loading will take some sweet fucking time... You can speed up floppy drives / CPU, but that could decerease compatibility.

10. Now for the funny part - saving the game...

41mbi.jpg

Choose "Yes"

wXFQK.jpg

11. Press F12, go to "Quickstart" and select "Unformatted.adf" (it's clean, unformatted floppy image). You may have to Retry once or twice. But finally:

P0Atu.jpg

12. Switch back to Disk#2 (F12-Quickstart-Disk#2).

13. PROFIT!!!

lKEDN.jpg

You can use fullscreen modes of course, reconfigure input options, etc. - just check Properties.

Of course you can use this version of WinUAE to play different games. Just grab them from webz and extract .adf files to "discs" directory.

Cool name

Arcane
It (edit: Reunion) does run pretty slow and with broken sound. :(

The desktop I am in is a 3.60mhz quad core with 3.5gb ram but it does use onboard stuff(ies) for both graphics and sound, and with XP. Maybe some of that's the problem? I will try it on my brother's gaming PC once he is back.

Edit: Thank you for the step by step guide to Shadoworlds. :3 I will try it immediately.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, those potato dudes deserve a million brofists, I see they've finally done TVsports basketball too. At last.

spekkio

Arcane
Bummer. Try different options, since your CPU is fast enough, and WinUAE does not utilize GPU AFAIK.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I love the game, Shadoworlds is very light on plot and heavy on atmosphere, so it needs a narrative (and wordy) LP, the kind I did for Wizardry with Bioware/Bethesda devs

:thumbsup:

Good to see you're not selling yourself short.

Cool name

Arcane
@ spekkio: Thank you. That did work prettily. You are my besuto furendo and did just won... a lot of huggies! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

@ Crooked Bee: If you do not mind to wait until I do either finish or abandon Reunion I can do a blind Let's Play of Shadoworlds. My original idea was to do Infinite Space once I do finish Reunion and the Excalibur games but that's a huge and very talky game to do. It does scare me. But if you do want to do Shadoworlds yourself do please go ahead. I am sure you will do an awesome LP out of it and you can actually give a lot of information on it as you did already play it. :) I am still very sick and tired with all the traveling around so I will be going slow for now and I may also need to take a very long vacation from this place after winter (for me) which is summer (for you) so I may not be able to finish it myself if I do take too much time to get back to speed with the ones I do already have.

Cool name

Arcane
Hard Nova will come later today.

Reunion will come when something dramatic does happen so that I can close the update on a more interesting note than 'and stuff did continue to happen.' I did write the update before I did have to leave to visit my family but I need someone to attack me or something cool to be discovered before I can close it.

Edit: Now that I do think about it something interesting DID happen when I was attacked but the game did crash after the battle and I never again was able to replay these two hours or so without the game crashing. I will try again tonight.

Zeriel

Arcane
I hate to be a newfag, but what in the actual fuck is going on with the cyborg hair metal nipple guy in the title screens?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I hate to be a newfag, but what in the actual fuck is going on with the cyborg hair metal nipple guy in the title screens?
It's one of Black_Cats discarded boytoys. She leaves them around the place, performing some Sisyphean task such as holding a title text aloft until she says otherwise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom