Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play: Rage of Mages 2 (The End)

Fafnir

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's the first now!
Please deliver our fix!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I suspect it might be connected with a different elemental magic of choice. You were using water, I have fire.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Nope, you also get Talena's quests, and iirc it's also the source of fire, since I guess it's connected to the other mage in your party - Dina.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Nice update, some death and some progress to save the world (tm). So when the true rape is going to start?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
IIRC, last of Talena's quests is an giant exercise in complete and utter buttfuck, among other things.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
(I was actually tempted to write this all in BLOBERTSPEAK as a sign of civil disobedience against the unrightful banning of our favourite BRO, but whatever)

rom1237.jpg

Our destination.

rom1238.jpg

rom1239.jpg

rom1240.jpg

rom1241.jpg

rom1242.jpg

A horde of squirrels comes out to greet us.

rom1243.jpg

Later down the road, we meet these level 3 zombies.

rom1244.jpg

Along with level 3 zombie crossbowmen.

rom1245.jpg

Fortunately, zombies actually kind of suck, as they are more meatshield-oriented than doing any serious damage.

One of them dropped these neat gloves, which should come in handy.

rom1246.jpg

This can't be good.

rom1247.jpg

Fortunately, everyone is neutral here. There are also some new enemies we'll meet later:

rom1248.jpg

A lich. Horrible, HORRIBLE creatures.

rom1249.jpg

Level 3 skeleton archer.

rom1250.jpg

Fancy high level lich.

rom1251.jpg

Level 3 skeleton warrior.

And a talkative negrodancer:

necro2.jpg
Who are you knight? What do you want here, so far away from Kaarg?

igles3.jpg
My ancestry gives me the right to do what I please, where I please. Now, for instance, I want to visit your cemetery.

necro2.jpg
Is that so? Common people cannot go there, whoever they are.

igles3.jpg
What are you gonna do? Force me to leave?

necro2.jpg
No need to. The cemetery is well-guarded. The guards have been doing their job just fine so far, and I see no reason for them to fail this time.

Pfffff. We're not afraid of no guards!

rom1258.jpg

HOLYSHITGETTHOSETHINGSOFFME

rom1259.jpg

Well... unlike the zombies, high level skeletons pack a real punch. Our two mages can BARELY outheal two, but more are out of the question.

rom1261.jpg

Yup, three are also too many.

rom1262.jpg

rom1263.jpg

Two are just fine, though

rom1264.jpg

rom1265.jpg

rom1266.jpg

Later on, we find this lich.

rom1267.jpg

HOLY SHIT

rom1268.jpg

Assholes are superannoying because they have prismatic spray. And their prismatic spray has a long and wide range, which means it's hard to take cover from it.

rom1269.jpg

And they have a gazillion defence and absorption, which means KC needs to risk his life and shoop the lich with fire arrows 'cause it would take Igles a lifetime to hack the bitch up.

rom1270.jpg

Some more zombies.

rom1271.jpg

Again, one of them left a fancy hat.

rom1272.jpg

Another necromancer encampment. They are also all neutral, but none wants to talk.

rom1273.jpg

Some more undead.

rom1274.jpg

BLOODYBLEEDINBLIMEY

rom1275.jpg

rom1278.jpg

We hide Igles among the trees so he won't get hit by the ogre.

rom1279.jpg

It wasn't enough due to the stable damage dealt by bats.

rom1280.jpg

That's why KC needs to nuke the vermin.

rom1282.jpg

Now, while Igles is struggling with the skeletons.

rom1283.jpg

We remove his weapon and make him tank only one. During that, the ogre is stupid and useless, so KC keeps barraging him with fire arrows.

rom1284.jpg

Once he's down, we are free to clean up.

rom1285.jpg

Shit, more skeletons.

rom1286.jpg

And a lich...

rom1287.jpg

AND ANOTHER LICH, WHAT THE FUCK

Oooookaaaaaaaaaay, let's go around this supermob and look for other things of interest. Perhaps it's not necessary to engage.

rom1288.jpg

WHAT IN THE

rom1290.jpg

FUCKING FUCK

rom1292.jpg

Barraging the bats with fireballs doesn't quite work because while KC can take out some of them, he runs out of mana quickly, and the remaining ones are many enough to not be outhealed.

rom1293.jpg

So after shooping our mana dry, we decide to hightail it. Maybe the necroes will aid us?

rom1294.jpg

Yeah, right. Assholes.

But this tactical retreat allowed us to regenerate our mana, so we're ready for another salvo.

rom1295.jpg

And the bats go down eventually.

rom1296.jpg

Later on, we meet some zombies, but this message pops up. Wut. Well, guess we'll have to continue exploring.

rom1297.jpg

I've been everywhere. And nothing happened. Guess we have to engage the supermob after all...

This strategic position among the trees should allow only one skeleton to hit Igles.

rom1298.jpg

Okay, two. Right, maybe he'll survive...

rom1299.jpg

DON'T LET ME DOWN, CLUELESS

rom1300.jpg

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

rom1301.jpg

I found this location here, where this time ONLY one skeleton can attack Igles. BUT, I can't seem to find a good position to set up the mages. Everywhere I put them, they get raepd by prismatic sprays.

rom1303.jpg

Attempting the previous position again...

rom1304.jpg

Argh.

I think I've tried like 15 different variants of placing the mages, and finally this managed to work

rom1305.jpg

Even though I'm pretty sure I've tried it before and it didn't. But well, I AIN'T COMPLAININ'

rom1306.jpg

Warriors go down eventually.

rom1307.jpg

Archers and liches are left. And Igles can't come closer to hack them up because if he does, he goes out of the mages' healing range. And if they make a step further to heal him, they get into prismatic spray range.

rom1309.jpg

Which means KC needs to bombard them.

rom1311.jpg

rom1314.jpg

rom1315.jpg

FUCK YEAH! Tactics, bitches!

One of the liches dropped this neat magic staff, which does more damage than KC's current one.

But still, nothing happens. Bug? Did I miss something? So I start to walk around the map cluelessly in search of any triggers.

And I find this...

rom1316.jpg

I've BEEN to this guy before. And he didn't say a word. But that was because I've been there BEFORE I've spoken to the first talking necromancer we met. He starts talking after that guy.

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU

igles3.jpg
And you're right. What do you want? Another fight? You're welcome to one!

necro2.jpg
I'm not going to fight you because I believe you're absolutely right. The necromancers on Yases are not what they used to be ( :declineofnecromancers: ). As a member of the guild, I know the orders Urd is now giving, and by what means these orders are followed. You would be horrified if I told you! My oath does not let me tell you much, but I would like to help you in some way.

igles3.jpg
I must talk to the spirit of a necromancer who participated in the expedition to the source of magic. I must get to the cemetery to do it, though.

necro2.jpg
This is impossible! The cemetery is very well-guarded, and the guards would not let you in. They won't even let ME in! The only chance is to use the invisibility spell. Fortunately, I know it. You don't have to go there, that would be an unnecessary risk.

So he joins our party.

rom1325.jpg

And he has a neat spellbook. Prismatic spray, wall of fire... I WISH WE HAD HIM BEFORE, AAARGH.

rom1326.jpg

Covert ops.

rom1327.jpg

rom1328.jpg

rom1329.jpg

Eh, great.

rom1330.jpg

Btw, bothering the guards at the entrance is mission failed, but we're free to rumble about the cemetery as we please. Now, take a look at the necro guy's stats

rom1331.jpg

And compare them to Igles. He's supposed to be a friggin MAGE, but he's better at tanking than an armourclad knight.

rom1332.jpg

He can also single-handedly take out two skeleton warriors and an archer (who you can't quite see because of the firewall). They can BARELY scratch him, and what HP he loses, he quickly gets back with life drain.

Mage and tank in one. WHY DIDN'T WE HAVE HIM BEFORE, AAAAAAAAAAAAA

rom1333.jpg

Covert ops again.

rom1334.jpg

rom1335.jpg

rom1336.jpg

rom1337.jpg

rom1338.jpg

FFS

rom1339.jpg

Great.

rom1340.jpg

A bunch of skeletons and liches pop up and disappear after a while.

rom1341.jpg

necro2.jpg
Oh spirit of our great and distinguished brother. Tell us where the source of magic is located. Yes... yes, I know this lake. I have learned all I need, rest in peace now. Well, I only have to tell this to Igles or his friends now.

necro2.jpg
I have learned everything. The source of magic is located on an island in the Dragon Lake. The lake is on the border of the Orcish lands. But the source is enchanted. No one can remove the spell. The secret formula is hidden amongst one of the ancient legends, but there are thousands of legends in our libraries...

igles3.jpg
Maybe I could find the right one! Where is this library?

necro2.jpg
Not far from here, but keep in mind that although it is less protected than our cemetery, someone from the street won't have a good chance of getting inside.

igles3.jpg
Goodbye then! And I want you to know, I never thought I would be grateful to a necromancer, but I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

rom1351.jpg

Finally. Let us leave this place of evil.

rom1353.jpg

rom1354.jpg

kc3.jpg
Yes, we did. But not all that we needed. We learned the location of the source of magic, but the magic words that give access to it remain unknown. We are now facing a search for the necromancers' library. It's supposed to contain a manuscript with this secret phrase. I believe the owners of the manuscript are not aware of its value.

talena.jpg
Well, I can only wish you luck. It will be a great accomplishment, if you manage to find the key to the source of magic.

rom1360.jpg

And here's a little something I picked up from the shoppe. This should make our fireball barrages a lot more efficient.

rom1361.jpg

And the destination. I guess we can only expect moar horrible rape akin to what we've seen in the last mission, since I don't quite believe the 'it'll be less guarded than the cemetery' shtick.

Unless you want me to investigate one of the main quests, that is.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
The rape is strong on this thread (what's worse, the game insults you by temporally giving an ally that it's much more stronger than your main character will ever be). I say the Dark Library, for extra necro-pain.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Now I want to play that game. Can you become one of the undead?

Lycaon

Novice
No, but your corpse will be beaten so much that it'll give the illusion of being animated.

Great LP by the way, used to love playing this over a LAN even though I sucked majorly and had trouble with level 1 bone snakes (I kid you not). I now have it on my phone and have been playing it on-and-off for a couple of months.

Oh, and I would continue with the necromancers myself.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Strange, this negrodancer had 0 in all his magical skills and still was pwning everything :D

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ahh yes, the DMPC, the ultimate weapon in any rpg...

Go kick some more necroass. Or die more, whatever suits You.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
rom1362.jpg

Destination.

rom1363.jpg

We all are, Kingcomrad. We all are.

rom1364.jpg

rom1365.jpg

A splendid welcoming party.

rom1366.jpg

Some necromancer camp ahead. This skeleton is neutral, fortunately.

rom1367.jpg

Btw, when you kill enough monsters of a certain type, you uncover their stats. Feel free to compare this silly skeleton to Igles from the previous chapter.

Also, why the hell do skeletons have such big defence against bludgeoning damage is beyond me.

rom1368.jpg

Anyhow, there's more undead up ahead, and they're aren't quite neutral.

rom1369.jpg

Igles has taken the blow...

... from a mob of skeletons and zombies...

... :shock: ...

rom1371.jpg

But a quick timewarp, better healing and taking out the tanking set + fireball nuking fixes the situation.

rom1372.jpg

Sup.

rom1373.jpg

necro.jpg
Yes! I am the keeper! Did you bring me the manuscript? I would be happy to add it to my collection.

igles3.jpg
To your collection? I thought new manuscripts were supposed to be added to the library. I'm afraid I don't have a manuscript with me today, maybe the next time I visit... I'm collecting legends about the fabled Raminan Island, and I would like to ask you for your help. Not without compensation, of course.

necro.jpg
Don't try to bribe me! This is the guild's special library! You have to be initiated to use it. Look for your tales in Kaarg! Now, be gone.

Whatev. We'll be back.

rom1380.jpg

Going north, we find another neutral necromancer camp. With this hilariously flamboyant level 4 zombie crossbowman.

rom1381.jpg

necro.jpg
Be assured that I can detect any lie. And if I do, a serious interrogation will follow!

igles3.jpg
I don't stoop to lying. I came here to see the library keeper. He is expecting a new manuscript, but I told him that I don't have one.

necro.jpg
Well, well, yes... your words are true, and I shall not delay you anymore. I shall even give you some advice: stay away from the library. An extremely rare book, the third volume of the Necronomicon (real subtle) was stolen. You'll be in trouble if you're mistaken for the thief!

igles3.jpg
Thank you! I suppose I should stop at the keeper's house rather than by the library to say goodbye to him. Where does he live by the way?

necro.jpg
His house is down the eastbound road.

rom1388.jpg

So we go down the eastbound road.

rom1389.jpg

Wat

rom1390.jpg

INCOMIIIIIIIIING

rom1391.jpg

Shit.

rom1392.jpg

These trees out here should make for good barricades.

rom1393.jpg

And, indeed, they do.

rom1394.jpg

rom1395.jpg

rom1396.jpg

It was a good idea to buy the ring with +mana regen. I can spam fireballs now like there's no tomorrow.

rom1397.jpg

Ax? What ax?

igles3.jpg
Wow! This is a lucky visit! The Necronomicon, volume three, right on the table! The keeper said that he doesn't take bribes. Perhaps we should see if blackmail works better.

So we head off to the keeper.

rom1400.jpg

necro.jpg
What?! You thief! I'm calling the guards!

dina2.jpg
Go ahead, call them. They would arrest you as well, after I tell them that the stolen book is in your home!

necro.jpg
Shut up! Someone may hear us! What do you want?

dina2.jpg
Same as before. I want the collection of legends about the Raminan island.

necro.jpg
That's all? Take it. Take it away with you and don't come back, I beg you.

dina2.jpg
Well, let's just see here... 'The poison stings, the mortal dies. The one who passes, gets the prize'. This is what I need! Thanks a lot, you thief. You're of no interest to me anymore.

rom1409.jpg

rom1410.jpg

rom1411.jpg

talena.jpg
I knew that the mystery of the ancient legends would be solved! There is just one thing left to do. Travel to the location of the source and say the magic words. Then... Actually, I can't even imagine what will happen! You'll see though. It'll be fantastic.

There mission ahead of us is, quite possibly, THE most difficult mission in the whole game. We'll need all the help we can get

rom1415.jpg

rom1416.jpg

rom1418.jpg

rom1420.jpg

rom1421.jpg

Source of Magic, here we come!

(don't ask me why it's the source of air and not source of any other element 'cause I honestly don't know)

rom1422.jpg

Wut

rom1423.jpg

rom1424.jpg

rom1425.jpg

rom1426.jpg

rom1427.jpg

So, he gave us a book of invisibility. Not too useful, since our air magic equals zero, but perhaps we'll find a use for it.

rom1428.jpg

Going south, we find these level 4 bats.

All level 4 monsters can cast spells. The bats use shadow clouds.

rom1429.jpg

After nuking the vermin, we come to this place. There are two switches to the north and south.

We flip the switches...

rom1430.jpg

Splendid.

rom1431.jpg

The teleporter transports single party members to this island. As you can see, it's inhabited by a level 4 turtle. Nothing serious so far...

rom1432.jpg

... HOLY SHIT

rom1433.jpg

WHAT IN THE FUCK

rom1434.jpg

That was a level 4 troll. The poison and shadow clouds, however, were the doing of a level 4 succubus from the north.

rom1435.jpg

Right, this will be tough. Here's the plan: Igles rushes in and tanks, after which the mages quickly move in to heal him. Rest of the support comes last.

rom1436.jpg

Splendid Kingcomrad, but we don't give a fuck for now.

rom1437.jpg

Shit.

rom1438.jpg

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU, THE SUCCUBUS HAS PRISMATIC SPRAY.

Well, on the other hand, I could just use invisilibty on everyone and head off 'west', but that's too simple.

Let's try something else.

rom1439.jpg

Igles quickly rushes southward, and all enemies lose interest. Let's try going for a couple of trees where the troll won't hit Igles.

rom1440.jpg

Prismatic spray still kicks in us, though...

rom1442.jpg

Okay, all mages are set, let's prepare our defe...

rom1443.jpg

The fucking prismatic spray is powerful enough to instagib all our mages.

Change of plans, we'll just use KC to rush westward while invisible and see what happens.

rom1444.jpg

Another teleport transports him somewhere.

rom1445.jpg

rom1446.jpg

OOokaaaay. Whatever that means.

rom1447.jpg

WHAT THE FUCK LEVEL 4 DRAGON

rom1448.jpg

And level 4 succubus. But this one's neutral.

Okay. Another change of plans.

rom1449.jpg

We use invisibility to transport all troops south. There, we'll set up a stand and try to take out the enemy forces, hoping that we'll be beyond the range of the prismatic spray.

rom1450.jpg

And here comes the problem. Positioning the mages as far as possible for the autoheal to heal Igles means they're in range of the spray. But, if Igles makes a single step north, the mages are no longer in range of spray, but the AI can't autoheal. I can still do it manually, though, and maybe it would be possible to outheal all the damage, but...

but...

IT TURNS OUT THAT APART FROM THE TURTLE, THE TROLL AND THE SUCCUBUS, THERE'S A LEVEL 4 DRAGON TO THE WEST.

And since all the monsters are linked, the dragon shows up after a while and sprays our mages with multi-headed dicks prismatic spray! FUN!

So, I use invisibility on everyone and transport them to the western teleport.

rom1451.jpg

And here, we witness something strange. The dragon on this island is kinda bugged, and he won't cast spells or attack if all our troops are under him.

rom1452.jpg

He starts flying around a bit when he takes damage, but he still doesn't cast spells. He can only use his regular breath weapon, which can be outhealed easily.

rom1453.jpg

Damn right.

rom1454.jpg

Apart from the neutral succubus, there's also a neutral dragon here. The trick is to make them both invisible at the same time to make the teleporter to the right activate.

rom1455.jpg

What could possibly go wrong?

rom1456.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

And this dragon is not bugged. Oh no, he isn't. He keeps spamming fire walls, shadow clouds, poison clouds, stone curse (flesh to stone, basically) and prismatic spray. And the teleporter to the island becomes inactive the moment one of the creatures becomes visible. Which is damn quick, since invisibility at 0 air magic lasts 5 seconds, which is barely enough to transport two characters on the island.

And since anything that gets teleported usually is greeted by a fire wall and prismatic spray to the face, there is absolutely nothing I can do. At least not at this level. Maybe if we get better skills, gear and hirelings level up a bit, we'll stand a chance. But now? We're powerless. Maybe if we could approach the dragon in a normal way, we could do something, but the teleporter transport takes away all our chances.

And believe me, I think I tried everything

rom1457.jpg

There's no point in continuing this, so we call in the choppers and proceed with an evac back to base. But we will be back. Oh yes, we will be back one day.

So, what's the next step? Main quest with orcs or main quest with druids? DISCUSS.

Last edited:

Black_Willow

Arcane
My few pieces of advice:
- Before you come back get the crown and do every subquest on the way.
- Grind some air skill to have a decent protection against air spells. That will save your mages from dying when fighting dragons.
- Get a good x-bow with stone curse. That will make dragon slaying oh so easier.
- To fight anything with darkness/shadow cloud your mages should be equiped with a +2 sight item.
- You know, you can pwn every troll with fire wall spam.

Anyway, go for the druids.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Black_Willow said:
My few pieces of advice:

Yeah, I'm aware of these, and I'd never, ever, go to this place at this stage if you psychotic maniacs didn't order me to.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
rom1445.jpg

Ahahahaha.

Anyway take a break, do whatever mission is easiest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom