Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play: Primordia

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Sup bros, I should probably finish this LP. But the porblem is a whole lot of crap suddenly fell on my head and I've had neither the time nor the will to do it in the last few days.

Gonna try updating the final update on thursday or friday, but no promises

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Well, this LP works as a p. good advertisement for the game as is - want to know the ending now that you're intrigued? Play the game! ;)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Prepare to shed single tears

primordia3537.jpg

The canon ending for Codexia can be only one.

metromind.jpg
What are you doing?! That would trigger a chain reaction and destroy this entire tower!

hor.jpg
I know.

metromind.jpg
You will be utterly vapourised! Metropol will lose all its power. You would *destroy* this city, the last city. That would be far worse than what I have done.

hor.jpg
It would be vengeance.

metromind.jpg
It would be *madness*. Listen to me. Take your power core and go.

primordia3549.jpg

Scraper steps aside, the elevator doors open.

metromind.jpg
I will not stop you. In my core logic I will place a rule against using force on you. Only... do not destroy my city. Do not destroy my people. They have not wronged you.

Mercy? You, who would know none, now plead for it? I thought you were made of sterner stuff.

primordia3555.jpg

MERCY is a SHIELD used by the WEAK

hor.jpg
No. You must be destroyed. And, like you said, you are Metropol, and Metropol is you.

primordia3560.jpg

My armour is contempt.

primordia3561.jpg

My shield is disgust.

primordia3562.jpg

My sword is hatred.

primordia3563.jpg

metromind.jpg
Ruined. My city is... ruined. Without power, there is no hope for Progress. The robots will scatter, each going its own way. Lost. Lost. Lost...

And the curtain falls. Horatio had the last laugh.

but wait, there's more!

primordia3572.jpg

primordia3573.jpg

hor.jpg
I will never join you.

metromind.jpg
Are you certain of that?

primordia3576.jpg

hor.jpg
Yes. You are hopelessly corrupted, MetroMind. Like any virus, you want to keep running, and you think that by spreading, you are doing good. But you are not. You have built nothing. In fact, you have destroyed this city, and everything in it - from Man, to the Council, to the robots living here. If I joined you, I would only help that virus spread.

metromind.jpg
Perhaps you are correct. But I am what my builders built, and I must follow my core logic. Scraper, it is time.

primordia3587.jpg

primordia3588.jpg

oshi-

primordia3589.jpg

primordia3590.jpg

Horatio Nullbuilt's last stand. Plasma torch can fix every situation :salute:

Forfeit Enemy Plunder

primordia3591.jpg

I can't let you do that, Horatio

metromind.jpg
You were a fool, Horatio, and selfish to the very end. Outwitted by me, outgunned by Scraper, yet still you could have been useful. You wanted to build. As my tool, you would have built a new Primordium. You wanted to fly. I could have given you wings. Now, I must do this alone. Take him back to the Dunes, with the rest of the scrap.

Outgunned, outnumbered, though never outclassed. The curtain falls...

and goes up again

primordia3602.jpg

hor.jpg
Very well, I will join you.

metromind.jpg
Then I welcome you, Horatio Horusbuilt, Manbuilt, brother. Come now and kneel.

primordia3606.jpg

primordia3608.jpg

:eek:

progress.jpg
We are one.

The avatar of Progress is speaking with both Horatio's and MetroMind's voices at the same time.

progress.jpg
We are MetroMind. Equal parts of a greater whole. There is no Horatio. No Horus. Only a tool for Progress to wield. We will speak the Word and fire the engine of the world.

primordia3615.jpg

But that last line was spoken only by Horatio...

... :eek:

primordia3616.jpg

Moving on,

primordia3617.jpg

I always wanted to be able to fly

primordia3618.jpg

Horatio takes a leap of faith.

primordia3619.jpg

metromind.jpg
Just as Horus did during the war. Of the great primordial machines, I alone still function. Metropol crumbles. I crumble. Arbiter, Factor, Steeple and Memorious cannot share my load. And I cannot share the escape Horatio found in self-destruction. For the sake of my city, there is no chance, but Progress. The past has passed, and the future is mine to build.

Curtain falls.

But hoho, that's not the end yet

primordia3628.jpg

The Thanatos virus we got from Horus's datalog? It can be uploaded to the signal transmitter.

And then...

primordia3630.jpg

:troll:

Horus

hor.jpg
This ends now. *Everything* ends now.

primordia3633.jpg

The city of glass and light rapidly powers down.

primordia3634.jpg

primordia3635.jpg

primordia3636.jpg

The UNNIIC/HORUS. The lantern whose light first lured in the moth that began the whole game.

The moth dies after a brief moment.

hor.jpg
They are all dead. Dead and avenged. My mission... The function Man built me to perform... is complete. My name... is HORUS.

primordia3644.jpg

the curtain falls

primordia3709.jpg

But what would happen if we used the plasma torch on the core

primordia3710.jpg

And didn't blow up Metropol after all?

hor.jpg
Very well. I'll go. You deserve to be destroyed, MetroMind. But in the end, you'll do it yourself. Just stay away from the Dunes, and you can die at your own pace.

metromind.jpg
Goodbye, Horatio. I do not think we will meet again.

primordia3717.jpg

Horatio moves into the elevator, and the ending is...

primordia3646.jpg

The same as when we do this :troll:

primordia3647.jpg

primordia3648.jpg

Scraper powers down.

metromind.jpg
What have you done?!

hor.jpg
Power, MetroMind. It's not a matter of generators. You were built to run trains. I was built to destroy. You knew all that, and you still thought you could rob me. Threaten me. Kill my friends?

primordia3657.jpg

The screen turns into static.

primordia3658.jpg

primordia3659.jpg

hor.jpg
You can keep your b'sodding city. I'm going home.

The Road Home

primordia3662.jpg

primordia3663.jpg

primordia3664.jpg

primordia3665.jpg

Are these the first rays of sunshine in the game?

hor.jpg
I have my power core. Scraper is dead. And MetroMind is beaten.

primordia3669.jpg

hor.jpg
I'm through with this city. Through searching it. Through fixing it. Through hating it. I will not look back.

primordia3675.jpg

hor.jpg
I told Crispin that the distance between Metropol and the HORUS was too far to walk.

primordia3678.jpg

hor.jpg
But the power core is in my hand, and home is ahead of me.

primordia3681.jpg

hor.jpg
Home. And the promise of rebuilding.

primordia3683.jpg

hor.jpg
This ship has rusted here too long. Horus's sacrifice forgotten. The truth is that repairing it was never impossible. It was just too much for one set of hands. But now... I am not alone.

primordia3692.jpg

primordia3693.jpg

NO, NOT THAT GUY

primordia3695.jpg

primordia3696.jpg

That's a lot of old acquiantances. Gimbal, Primer, 187th, Ever-Faithful, Oswald, Rex, Cornelius, Leopold and Crispin's floating date.

crisp.jpg
You know boss, I never thought I'd say it, but... I actually think this ship's gonna fly again.

hor.jpg
For once, Crispin, I think you're right.

clarity.jpg
He is. The Horus will rise, on more than the strength of its power core.

primordia3702.jpg

crisp.jpg
So, uhh, boss? Where exactly *are* we going to fly this thing?

hor.jpg
Wherever we want, Crispin. Wherever we want.

primordia3706.jpg

The stars, Bowen.

primordia3707.jpg

The stars.

primordia3708.jpg

primordia3571.jpg

Roll credits (Cycles)

Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed playing the game. It was truly, truly a great ride, and easily the best Wadjet Eye game out thus far, hands down.

primordia3719.jpg

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Glad you guys enjoyed it, and thanks for the fantastic LP. Technically speaking, there are three other variants on the "return to the ship" ending (not counting the background characters who show up). Here they are, in case you're curious. The format follows the same as the one Roxor posted.

With personality matrix, without Clarity's head:
Found a Youtube video for this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=T7HPWpjCesQ#t=455s
Slide 1
So this is victory.
I have my power core.
Scraper is dead.
And MetroMind is beaten.

Slide 2
I'm not staying to celebrate.
This crumbling city is a monument
to the senseless costs of this . . . triumph
and the endless other victories and defeats
in the fight to grab the last sparks from our world's dying fire."
I'm not staying, and I will never return.

Slide 3
The miles between Metropol and the HORUS
never seemed longer
or more necessary.
I need the scouring sands and acid rains.

Slide 4
I need my homecoming.
I need . . .
to fly.
So, I will build the HORUS, at long last.
But not alone.

Slide 5
-Crispin-
You know, boss, I never thought I'd say it, but . . .
I actually think this ship's gonna fly again.

-Horatio-
Indeed.

-Crispin-
Boss, do you think that when we get up there, in the sky,
when we look down everything really *will* seem as simple
as 1s and 0s?

-Horatio-
Nothing is that simple.
Even Clarity knew that.
But she still believed that she could divide the world into integers
and carry the weight of all the remainders herself.

-Crispin-
Too bad she never had a chance to drop all that and just fly with us, huh, boss?

-Horatio-
For her, it might have been a happier ending
to die in service of her builder and her code.

-Crispin-
So, uhh, boss, where exactly *are* we going to fly this thing?

Slide 7
-Horatio-
Wherever we want, Crispin.
Wherever we want.

With head but no matrix:
Identical through Slide 4

Slide 4
-Horatio-
I need my homecoming.
This ruined ship is a reflection of Metropol,
its mirror image,
rising as the city falls.
Like Metropol, the HORUS will be a monument to sacrifice.
I will build it.
But not alone.

Slide 5
-Clarity-
It *will* fly again, Horatio.
*You* will fly again.
And when you do
you will give Crispin the just restitution
that comes when one's acts have meaning --
meaning far beyond what our shells could ever hold
or our processors hope to calculate.

Slide 6
You and I will search for that meaning in the skies . . .
. . . and Crispin will laugh at us.

(Dragonheart reference proves unnervingly prescient.)

Bring back neither:
(Note, there is no sunlight in this ending.)

Slide 1
-Horatio-
It's done.
I've got what I came for.
There's nothing left for me here, and it's time to go home.

Slide 2
The distance between Metropol and the UNNIIC,
which was once so vast,
now seems inconsequential.

Slide 3
The miles ahead of me are so much smaller than those I've walked.
My journey is already over.

Slide 4
Home.
But there's nothing left for me here, either.
The things I've lost can't be scavenged or repaired.
What's written can't be rewritten.
It can only be locked away.
I know now what the other Horatios knew:
the need to forget.
So.
Horatio, version 6:
May you build better
and make from Horus's sacrifice,
and all the ones that followed,
something more than a power core
and an empty ship,
full of echoes.

(No Slides 5 or 6, which are the cliff view of the UNNIIC being rebuilt, and the close-up with the clouds.)

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Glad you enjoyed it! Frankly, it's basically just the Codex, the GOG.com player ratings, and a few random reviews (especially out of Poland!) that seem to really love the game. The rest have many complaints: too short, not epic enough, too hard, too easy, Crispin is too annoying, Horatio is too selfish, etc., etc. The mode review is 7, I think, and the median is probably 7.5.

In response to your question:
The behind the curtains answer is that for whatever reason, WEG did not record Nonie Craige (MetroMind) reading that line. Which meant the line either had to be cut entirely or left as pure Horatio. Cutting the line felt unbalanced; it's not as obvious when you just read it, but spoken aloud the prior line seems to hang and beg for some conclusion -- as it should, since it was not written as a concluding thought. I figured the added ambiguity of having Horatio speak the line alone might actually make things better in some respects, teasing that there really is an outcome where you can save the city. My own view is that Horatio would not be strong enough to win the battle of wills; he's speaking on his own simply because MetroMind no longer needs to guide him through the words, since he speaks her own words with his voice. But that's just my own bullshit interpretation!

Kirtai

Augur
Glad you enjoyed it! Frankly, it's basically just the Codex, the GOG.com player ratings, and a few random reviews (especially out of Poland!) that seem to really love the game. The rest have many complaints: too short, not epic enough, too hard, too easy, Crispin is too annoying, Horatio is too selfish, etc., etc. The mode review is 7, I think, and the median is probably 7.5.
I wonder how well that split matches up with the people who like and "get" adventure games and those who're not familiar with them.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
@ root: EFL and Primer are comedic relief? :)

@ kirtai: Depends what split you're talking about. Plenty of people who "get" adventure games are lukewarm on Primordia. If you mean the hard/easy split . . . . Somewhat, but even there, a fair number of adventure game types complain about the difficulty, precisely because their pride is perhaps the most easily bruised when they get stuck (for example, at the kiosk). Also, many are so locked into adventure game illogic, Primordia's own brand of slightly more logical puzzles may be confusing. Dunno. Honestly, I wish it were easy to say, "People who know old school adventure games, people who are sophisticated and care about ideas, etc. like Primordia, while the unwashed masses don't." But it doesn't seem to line up that way. There do seem to be some pretty consistent complaints (that the last third of the game feels rushed; that using the sensor to find the battery is an annoying pixel hunt [we've ameliorated that in the next patch by using a Geiger counter sound as you get closer]; that the graphics would look better at higher resolution; that the animation is a bit too choppy), but then there are all sorts of areas where we get diametrically opposed comments. ("Too much dialogue!" "Too little dialogue!" "Philosophically brilliant!" "Philosophically shallow!" "Crispin is a tonal wrecking ball!" "The game is genuinely hilarious and the relationship between Crispin and Horatio is priceless!" "Too hard!" "Too easy!" "Excellent plot!" "Cliche plot!" Etc.) The only real lesson to take away is that it's hard to know how to satisfy everybody, at least it is for me. I do hope that our next game achieves more universal love, but one step at a time!

Alex

Arcane

Too easy? I mean, the game is far from hard, but given the current crop of adventure games, is this really a common complaint?

By the way, thanks for the wonderful game. You guys really hit the spot with it, even if I wished it was a little longer and harder myself.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Please. It's an iPhone whimsical hidden object game starring a talking cat named Mittens the Kitten. "What a meowthful!"

Kirtai

Augur
there are all sorts of areas where we get diametrically opposed comments. ("Too much dialogue!" "Too little dialogue!" "Philosophically brilliant!" "Philosophically shallow!" "Crispin is a tonal wrecking ball!" "The game is genuinely hilarious and the relationship between Crispin and Horatio is priceless!" "Too hard!" "Too easy!" "Excellent plot!" "Cliche plot!" Etc.) The only real lesson to take away is that it's hard to know how to satisfy everybody, at least it is for me. I do hope that our next game achieves more universal love, but one step at a time!
I believe it's much better to have controversy like that than to have everyone go "meh". At least you know you affected people and that many did like it. For those that didn't like it; well, there's no accounting for taste ;)

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
So I have a totally lame request that's sure to invite the HiveMind's scornful destruction (and, perhaps, rightfully so), but if you guys played the game and liked it, maybe throw a vote our way at http://jayisgames.com/best-of/2012/indie/adventure/. As lame as these things are, what Wormwood really needs in order to make another game is a reputation to trade on; sales are less important to me than some framework for promoting our brand when we try to break more ground on the next game.

That said, with this weird "vote every day" thing, this is almost certainly too late to matter, which makes it both shameless and worthless. Still, "Shameless and Worthless" makes a good tagline for Wormwood Studios!

JoKa

Cipher
Voted as well, because i really liked this LP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom