Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Lets play Pool Of Radiance 2: Ruins of Myth Drannor. (Blind)

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
to me it captures the tabletop RPG atmosphere better than any other CRPG out there.
Kill your GM.

LOL, yea I know you're not a fan of RoMD. I was only praising the atmosphere, not the game as a whole. Don't you agree that the atmosphere is, at least partly, done well?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Maybe on way later areas, when you emerge from brown-land. But those ungodly generic dungeons that seem randomly generated and are full of arbitrary blockades that make you backtrack aren't atmospheric in any way, shape or form...

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
PARTY ASS WIPE 2

0lIvk7h.jpg

Last time, we back tracked to the fountain of restoration at the Axhandle Inn. Everyones healed and ready to go. We head back to the strange alter, but sadly, its a dead end. We travel east, past the Bath Salt Kids (tm). Heres a guide of our travel- yellow piss trail is the start from the fountain to the alter (thanks Cassidy). The red menstruation trail (thanks Cassidy) is the start of the alter to our current location- a set of double doors.

Just a side note, it looks likes theres doors to the south along the trail. There is none. the Fog of war in this game is fucked.

jjnKvlq.jpg

The double doors. Probably nothing interesting inside. Oh wait?! Is that a 'BarrelofObjectTag#3' oh fuck yeah!

4k9DFSn.jpg

Theres nothing in in the barrel, but theres a chest down the hall. Before we can loot it, an ambush from a side room! A Scared Mage and Skeleton Knights- 2 new enemies! Holy shit game, dont spoil me. Not sure if this is good AI, or just a miracle of jesus's penis ejaculating over my bare chest, but a high AC/HP undead knight blocks the door, while the mage Magic Missiles us TO DEATH.

YnAW6X6.jpg

OOOOHHH SHIT BROS. Im not kidding. You know whats more painfully slow than zombies walking across the battle map? Magic Missiles. Its not the missile speed itself- The mage (who is high-ish level Im guessing) casts 3 missiles, but casts each one individually, in an overdramatic lengthy Power Rangers way. By the time he kills the ENTIRE party with missiles I had masturbated twice- each session dedicated to Will Smiths children.

My god that was gross. For my punishment I could either kill myself, or play PoR2 more. Since I made a lude comment towards kids, I will choose the worse fate.

F6aFUeu.jpg

PARTY WIPE #2. Reload screen shows... Have no fucking clue. The highlight of the pic is the guys ass. ADMIT IT! That was the first thing you looked at.

2wh7dzD.jpg

There is no way in hell we can do this encounter. Crooked Bee managed some shots at the mage with her Long Bow +1, but he healed himself for 27 HP (potion?). For now, we will pass the door and continue down the hall, east. Along the way, the party encounters 3 skeletons. They have shields, which makes them more bitchy. RK47 FINALLY makes a kill with his sling +2. If this idiot would stop making youtube videos on AAA fag games and focus on retro, he would do better.

Just Kidding. RK47s Dragon Age Inquisition's Baba Yetu video is awesome.

H3PkB2m.jpg

Going further east, we find a south door we can actually go through. It leads to a zig-zag room with skelingtons. hORRAY! As if watching undead slowly lumber towards you in a straight line isnt as painful, we can now watch them zig zag around. Gonna charge in. Dont give a fuck.

19KmaCf.jpg

We pass the zig zag room. Enter a large room. 2 Skeletons attack. They die faster than jews in a shower.

NgTmA2b.jpg

What the fuck? This little random encounter drops a Dagger +2 and a scimitar +1? Uh... Okay. Crooked Bee takes the dagger. Scimitar goes to Azira encase he needs a slashing weapon.

eyGBIQJ.jpg

This room seems big, so we hug the south wall. We find a bunch of decayed ruins, garbage, and weak skeletons. Whats new?

SE4MvB2.jpg

They drop a longsword +1 and a shortsword +1. The designers are not even trying. Why Am I?

NEXT TIME I KILL A KOLBOLD AND GET A MASSIVE AXE +1000.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Hey guys. Thanks for all the comments. Need to state a few things.

1. DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME. It sucks guys. It may look good (and it does indeed LOOK good) but its shit. Fagout 4 is jesus christ incarnate. Im not kidding... Go craft some water pumps and steel walls in your Fo4 shelter. Its better time worth spent.

2. This LP is not really condensed but at the same time it is.... My 'rules' for this LP is 10-15 screens per update and at least 1 screen per encounter. Doesnt matter if its a brainless trash mob in a hallway or an epic battle in a throne room- 1 screen per combat. So far every combat has been posted.

3. Really sorry about misspellings and grammar in the LP. I have huge problems with English. I have to google search so many words for proper spelling, I give up half the time, I fixed some issued in the first couple posts, but they still (and will) leak through. Im too lazy to fix shit, but one of these days I might have the energy.

4. I just turned 30 today. Im dead on the inside.

And Azira- if you read this- I wasnt going to say anything, but are you from the Arcanum Inn days (IGN Vault / Toblix)

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Fuck the spelling, who cares? Do your LP whichever way you want. If you go sour trying to fix possible spelling mistakes then you do yourself a disservice.

And yes, I'm the same Azira. From the IGN days, and toblix' board since. Fuck, that's quit some time ago...

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
OFFICE SPACE

RDoDCSd.jpg

Another day, Another shit. Last update we found a huge room covered in decayed stone structures and broken furniture. Must be Wal-Marts home decor department. Looking at the map, I find that I'm pretty much at the corner section of the level with not much else to explore (in this direction). Mapping out the corner, the party finds a locked door- but before Crooked Bee can pick it, 3 skeletons ambush us. In the words of the great Ebeeto "Oh great... More crap that needs to be owned"

PseJlDd.jpg

Give me a fucking break. The skeletons are the ones owning us! Cassidy falls, and the party cant seem to land a hit. RK47 prays to Jesus for help and it actually works, stunning the bone heads. I need to use this ability more often.... I wonder if gods ever get tired of assisting clerics? To me it would be like a bum knocking on my door every 5 minutes and asking for money.

nmnb3jC.jpg

The three stooges are dead... They died in the mid 70s. They drop a LongSword +1 and a ShortSword +1. Crooked Bee unlocks the door, and they go inside, discovering a bunch of offices and cubicles. The data analysts' inside are mad because their boss has taken away all the computers, and now they have no way to play Cookie Clicker. Cassidy uses turn undead- It works great against people who spend 8-10 hours in a cubicle.

msNzdQX.jpg

WTF... As the party wipes out the skeletons, the boss, grasping a club, comes shambling from the north east cell. Nothing works on him- we cant hit him and he attacks twice per round. What the hell is this shit? Its a skeleton elder. His AC is 19 and has 3D12 Hit dice. His club doesnt hurt that much, but he slowly beats the party to death like we where a pack of baby seals.

0DFcDrO.jpg

PARTY WIPE #3. The load screen shows a priestess staring at choir boy ass, while padding her puss. They boys pretend not to know, but they do. 15 years later they sell their story, which in turn is used as a screenplay for a film. No one went and saw it except the pope.
892DyaG.jpg

0LQZh82.jpg

We retry the room. The battle with the elder takes forever and we end up using some potions, but clear out the room. The Elder doesnt drop anything. wtf. In each cubicle, theres a chest with 15gp inside. Wait... In the large destroyed room outside the offices, I killed random skeletons and get around 6 magic items- but go through a boss fight and get nothing? The designers are truly masters of deception. We need to rest already, fortunately, killed the elder made the room safe to rest.

At any rate, the party finds another doorway in the office room. In the new location, they can see a treasure chest on the east side wall. What a strange barrier though.. I WONDER IF THERE ARE ENEMIES ON THE OTHER SIDE.

TCtE0lV.jpg

3 Skeleton Knights. Cassidy falls AGAIN, but the party pulls through. They use all the healing spells to get back to full health. This is getting retarded. One of the knights drops a +3 Ax (!). Well, at least we got a decent magic item out of this bullshit. Theres nothing else here, so lets grab our 15gp from the chest and get the fuck out of here.

pJPrnF1.jpg

Its trapped! Cassidy gets covered in silly string and gets set on fire! I wont lie, guys- I reloaded cuz my patience is GONE. This doesnt count as a party wipe. Ive encountered so much shit in just these 2 rooms... And looking at the map just for this dungeon level, theres probably 1 million more to go. At least I'm getting a corner cleared out so I dont have to come back this way.

PS: Ignore the loot pile on the floor. Im getting so many magic weapons, I pretty much tossed all standard goods on the ground.

CY1Sk2S.jpg

Crooked Bee untraps the chest, and we find a Wand of magic missiles (x20) a key (big surprise) and a note that reads "GUARD THE SPIRES WHICH GUARD THE WAY."

Its time for us to TAKE THE EXIT DOOR WHICH EXITS THE ROOM.

8vwEv0X.jpg

Hell yeah, the final fogged off area of this corner of hell. Oh gee, I wonder if theres a secret door here. This game has so many hard to find secrets.

wULfVpq.jpg

Theres nothing in this room but a couple of tables and a strange platform thing. Not knowing what it was, I clicked on it and it ended up being a floor hatch hiding a some stairs leading down. Opening the hatch auto teleports the party downstairs so I did get a glimps of the first room down there- It has barrels- and everything is brown as shit. I got too excited and went back up. Not sure if I'll check out the main floor some more or play around downstairs. Someone gotta do it since my uncle passed away last year.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Fuck the spelling, who cares? Do your LP whichever way you want. If you go sour trying to fix possible spelling mistakes then you do yourself a disservice.

And yes, I'm the same Azira. From the IGN days, and toblix' board since. Fuck, that's quit some time ago...

Yeah. I use to post under those forums as "Beelzebub" I was an infrequent poster, disappearing for a month once in awhile, but I was there early enough to get put in Arcanum's fan graveyard. I let Sharon Shellman write my epitaph. Apparently my brains got splattered by an Oger's club. Good times

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I remember you. And boy, do I remember the fan graveyard. Not too pleased with my own epitaph there. I know I wrote it myself, I just would've chosen a different theme if I were to rewrite it. I mean, Haiku? :M

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I see coins icons, wonder when you reach nearest shop...
If you put items in the chest or drop they will stay here or there is a chance to disappear?

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
AZIRA'S BLOODSTONE

fzv6QUK.jpg

I wont lie. I decided to quickly check out a complete map of the main floor to see how big it is. I nearly shat and shot myself. FUCK MY LIFE.

Last update I found some 2 sets of stairs going down. I dont care if Ive only explored .03% of the Main Halls- I'm going down just to explore and try to have fun. I need to have some FUN. The 'Office Space' update has broken my soul.

We head down to the DEEP HALLS. Nice load screen. Are you trying to tell me something, game?

DcmQ9Tn.jpg

What the hell? It's only a single barreled filled room with no exit. The barrels along the wall are filled with goat turds and pickled beets, but the fancy barrel...

TtZFNSZ.jpg

Cassidy tries to OPEN IT, but her fingers keep SLIPPING off the LID.
Crooked Bee dodges LEFT... Then dodges RIGHT. But then TRIPS.
Azira THROWS a PEBBLE at the barrel. NOTHING HAPPENS.
RK47 BURPS and OPENS the BARREL.

An epic artifact, for an epic encounter.

A short sword named "The Winter Bane" its +2 and can cast Cone of Cold at level 10 with 3 charges. It also has a '+2 protection' As I write this, I cant remember what that does. I think its just an AC adjust. Crooked Bee takes it.

There is nothing else in this room. Where are the game designers at? We check for secret doors but find none. Back to Main Halls; Lets check out the second stair case...

D5RTPOc.jpg

It leads to a different room- some sort of crypt. The only thing of interest is 3 empty coffins. Each one has a name engraved on it- 'Cassidy' 'Cooked Bee' and 'RK47'.

Azira starts to panic. Will his comrades see the names? Will they discover his plan already? He raises his hammer, ready to deal a stealthy, deadly strike- but no... They dont notice, and its too soon to dispose of them. "Not when I'm so close to the treasure!" he shrieks. Everyone stares at him. "Quickly friends! through the west door! Im sure its safe! I will be with you shortly!"

rsUVJFf.jpg

The party crashes through the door and comes across a large crypt full of skeletons, and a new ghostly creature called a Wraith. The party fights for survival, while Azira attempts to fix a spelling mistake on Crooked Bee's coffin.

The fight is harsh, but the party wins. Cassidy suffers some CON damage from the Wraith, and everyone is pretty beat up. Ive mentioned this before, but heal spells suck (so far) usually healing for a couple HP. Fortunately, with the room cleared, its now safe to rest. This is turning into Icewind Dale where it takes 3 months to clear out a small cave.

UZqziEx.jpg

Theres one more room to these crypts, a tomb saturated with a hellish glow, a single coffin lays in the middle. "GET IN THERE AND GET ME MY TREASURE" screams Azira. "Oh.. sorry my friends... What I meant to say was: PLEASE get in there and get me my treasure, FUCKERS."

Since the magic word was spoken, Cassidy has no choice. She opens the door and enters the room, the red light reflecting off her armor.

PREPARE FOR THE IMPOSSIBLE

S8UOznt.jpg

Nothing happens. Cassidy loots the coffin.

Its a Bloodstone Amulet. Has 6 charges and casts Level 10 Vampire touch. This items has a lot of buffs, just a few- Its got +2 STR ,+1 AC and spell resist, and some other stuff. The interesting thing with this item is that it has a -2 CON penelty. Probably the most cool item found so far. Just like the Winter Bane sword, though, theres no epic encounter to be had. Its just sitting in a empty room.

Azira snatches the Bloodstone from Cassidy and puts it on. The treasure is finally his. The Mummy was a no show- Azira has been scammed 315gp- He will never hire from Craigslist again.

Theres nothing else down here- Back to the Main Floor. There must be a main staircase to the Deep Halls somewhere else. Before ending this update, lets go back the surface and trade with Nottle.

k6iWGws.jpg

We arrive at Nottles at night, and nights are pretty dark in this game. To make the scene more screenshot friendly, Azira casts the 'Light' Spell. Do not stare directly at it. Also, I take no responsibility for monitor damage.

g2DT3Sk.jpg

I skipped over this when I first met Nottle, but he sells basic shit. Only items of interest is a Stinking cloud wand fro about 5,520 gp, and a single 'level 10' healing potion for 500. The screencap here is made after I sell all excess loot, so I have around 3,600gp.

Just for the idea of items worth- I can sell standard weapons sell for single digit numbers (usually 6-8 gp). +1 Weapons sell for around 500-700gp so now I know there is no point of picking up standard gear. Buying stuff is pretty much double the amount you sell for.

I dont know if Nottle will change his stock later, or if there are other merchants in the game, and I dont really care. With unique relics just laying about in empty rooms, I doubt this game will really have an economy worth giving a shit about.

Cant afford the wand, so we go ahead and buy the potion for 500.

NEXT TIME... We return to the Main Halls *BARFS*

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
I see coins icons, wonder when you reach nearest shop...
If you put items in the chest or drop they will stay here or there is a chance to disappear?

The last screenshot in todays update is dedicated to you, and will provide some info.

When I met Nottle early in this LP, I didnt explain clearly you can trade with him. At the time I had no money and he didnt really sell anything useful, as your characters already start with basic gear, so I didnt consider mentioning it at the time.

As for your other questions - you cant put items in chests. Items dropped on the floor by the player will vanish once you rest. You cant drop keys or quest items (I think).

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I see, even with little burns on my eyebrows.
Not even one decent item, what a pity. And pity for lack of user-made stashes, would totally stack these +1 swords.

iqzulk

Augur
I absolutely loved what this game attempted to do, and I don't have any regrets about ~110 hours I put into playing through it. The things I remember the most about it, are the first level of the first dungeon, the biggest location of the game that had the biggest amount of special events in it - and the dialogues with the Wind Column in the midpoint (which serve as its culmination from the artistic standpoint). That first level of the first dungeon was unbelievably, brutally huge. I spent ~20 hours clearing it for good. Through its unrelenting, brutal hugeness, it somehow felt like a place much more real, than those depicted in the majority of more conventionally entertaining games, like the place that doesn't give a flying fuck about little puny you scouring about, like the kind of place where one could actually get hopelessly lost in never to emerge out of it ever again. I loved, how there were almost no conventional quests, and in their place - rumors about something that maybe did occur somewhere in those dungeons, that ancient city - and maybe didn't. And maybe you stumbled upon them while exploring the dungeons, and maybe you didn't. I loved, how almost each and every special event was staged in such a way, that not only you knew that something definitely _happened_ there, but also, that you'll never, ever know, just what exactly. Just a glimpse of something, that, a very, very long time ago, had some sort of meaning, and now is irrevocably lost in all the rot and oblivion, with maybe just ever-present wind knowing what really happened there those countless years ago. I loved the moments when the music stopped, and the only companions were the sound of wind and the echo of the footsteps of the voiceless members of my party. I loved how there were tons of boxes and furniture that didn't have any _point_ from the gamey perspective, but just _were_ there, I loved how a well placed fireball destroyed everything in the room and ripped the doors from their hinges. I loved the smoothness, immediacy and up-to-the-point-ness of all the animations of my characters, the framerate, the precision and immediacy of the controls. I loved the gentle sound of chalk hitting the blackboard, that accompanied the interactions with the ingame menus, and I loved just how ascetic and utterly unpretentious (in contrast, perhaps, with this very message, it would never fit into this game) the music and the writing in this game were, how they simply _were_ there, as integral parts of those desolate soulless catacombs. I loved the hugeness, open-endedness and connectedness of this game, and how it was you and only you, who were setting up and deleting those "Unexplored" and "Needs Rusty Iron Key" flags, more and more of them, every 5 minutes, and how it was your only lifeline, and the only indication that you sort of knew what you were doing there. It felt like a _place_. It felt like a place you were dropped into - and left entirely to your own devices. It felt like a place that existed - not as something deliberately crafted by those who created its content so that to make you feel awshum feels - but in some weird, abstract sense, like a place, that existed quite regardless of the intentions of those who actually created its content. It didn't feel like a _crafted_ _experience_, like "you go forward and do stuff, and this will allow us to make you feel mega-awesome", the way, say, Icewind Dale or some other similar romps felt. The closest analogies I can think of right now, are probably BG1's wilderness and Morrowind's overworld (towns excluded), and even those are quite distinct from the experience I had with RoMD.

Maybe, it wasn't an intention of the developer's team to make a game, that provided such an experience, maybe that was a series of horrible development mistakes and coincidences, that made it into something that made me feel that way while playing it. Maybe the entirety of what I wrote about was in the eye of the beholder (no pun intended). After all, I mildly disliked the overworld locations of this game (Wind Column excluded) as too rompy/flashy/gamey/cramped, and how there was a much more pronounced central plot (with cutscenes) in its second half, and the bugginess of the second dungeon, and how there were suddenly lots of scripted spawns in said second dungeon, and how the ending was simply a linear hackfest. And most explicitly I disliked that you could 100% the game, find every secret and open every chest. That once you explored all the locations, there wasn't any possibility of something existing _beyond_, something teasing you to delve into those catacombs again and again, no chests to which you just don't know, after all these years, whether there was a way to access them, or if there was simply no was period, no doors for which no keys exist in the ingame world, no keys, meant for the doors the locking mechanism of which has long since rusted, rendering the door un-openable in principle. Well, at least, they had the sensibility to let you play (and to finish whatever unfinished business you might've had) after the Last Fight and official ending to the game. The story, you see, came to its end, but the place, you see, is still there, rotting further and further into oblivion. Maybe, centuries later, another group of adventurers will briefly ponder the question, just why is all the furniture in this particular room trashed, and with the doors blown outwards and hanging from their hinges, and just was has transpired over there and how long ago - before saying "Fuck it, let's go" and disappearing into nowhere, until there's nothing but the sound of wind blowing once again.

And, oh God. This music. This fucking music.

This is, maybe, not a very good game. And whatever I talked about above, could definitely be implemented better even if one considers this game on its own terms. And maybe I do, I really do understand, just why so many people genuinely, earnestly didn't enjoy it. In the slightest. But I am, personally, extremely grateful to whoever created it, because of what this game made me feel - and I don't think I will ever forget it.

P.S. I absolutely, positively enjoyed BG1 (the _content_ of BG1 - much more, than I enjoyed that of BG2) and ToEE (the _content_ of ToEE), but for very different reasons. Still, if one does genuinely love those two games as they are, it would probably make sense to check RoMD out, just in case. Maybe it'll click, maybe it won't. After that patch fixed the OS-breaking bug, you have nothing to lose anyway. Except for your time, that is.

P.P.S.
image.png
(For the purpose of establishing the scale: the red points represent secret doors.)
re-P.P.P.S. Reminiscences are frame-by-frame depicting fragmentaries begetting unknowability of designated with I.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
@up
Oh my gosh, that's some huge thing. :salute:
I still rather play it than overrated garbage PoE though...

Allright, installed it already. One question though - how do you spot secret doors?
Like in the ToEE woth RMB->Search or by pixel hunting? Does it use skills like rogue have?

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture

You pretty much captured in your post how I felt about the atmosphere of RoMD but could never put into words. I tried to express it by suggesting it having a close resemblance to tabletop RPG storytelling/atmosphere, but people here don't get that comparison at all. BG1 wilderness had similar appeal, I totally get that comparison. You could compare the feeling also to something like Ultima Underworld - that feeling of isolation, dread and mystery.

Melancholy. That's another word to describe the feeling that the abandoned, fallen city invokes.

Last edited:

iqzulk

Augur
Allright, installed it already. One question though - how do you spot secret doors?
The easiest way is to press a particular key combination (press F1, after you've started the game to see what this combination is, along with several others very useful combinations) that allows you to see the dice rolls. When those suddenly start to appear near a certain wall, you'll just know there is something fishy out there. So, you, like, approach the spot, then run away from it, then approach again - until it gets discovered. Pretty primitive stuff, I know. Or one could do it blindly, so that to preserve a mystery. Maybe, playing it with the dice rolls on, was a mistake of mine.

Also, here are the official manual and the official printed map (not terribly useful) to the game.

Oh, and the last thing, I don't know whether it was already covered in the current let's play, so here goes. If you want the game's combat to be absolutely, 100% turn-based, without any time counters, setting the "combat speed" to the leftmost position actually does exactly just that.

You pretty much captured in your post how I felt about the atmosphere of RoMD but could never put into words. I tried to express it by suggesting it having a close resemblance to tabletop RPG storytelling/atmosphere, but people here don't get that comparison at all. BG1 wilderness had similar appeal, I totally get that comparison. You could compare the feeling also to something like Ultima Underworld - that feeling of isolation, dread and mystery.

Melancholy. That's another word to describe the feeling that the abandoned, fallen city invokes.
It feels really good to know, that I am not alone, concerning my sensibilities in regards to this game. I also agree, that, at times, Ultima Underworld feels remarkably similar to RoMD in terms of the mood it evokes and the methods it uses in order to achieve that. As do, to different extents, and apart from those already mentioned, Konung: Legends of the North, Beyond Divinity (if only there was a way to play the entire game with the voice-acting that was in its demo, instead of the Overlord-like shit that ended up in the release version!), HeXen (the first one), Pathways into Darkness, Thief: The Dark Project, maybe even, to a very small extent, some of From Software's dungeon crawlers. Still, sadly, each of those games also differs from RoMD in a multitude of very crucial points, and I am yet to encounter a game, that would go for the exact same thing RoMD was, in my opinion, going for. I would actually be very happy to discover another such game one day.

Last edited:

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
POT METAL

U3194DS.jpg

Sorry for the delay. Fucking alcohol poison. Last time we left off, we returned to the surface and sold some shit. On the way back, one of my worst nightmares come true- Random encounters... In this game. I pray this is a rare thing. A single wraith ambushes us from the darkness- the party kills it and returns to the dungeon.

ScxBfsn.jpg

Okay, here is our new plan of attack. They yellow line is the old path to the Axhandle Inn and other places we have explored. The red is our new direction. On the map, the new destination area looks like a dark pool of shit.

Nkm0ifQ.jpg

Its actually just a tiled floor. The hall is long and has a line of pillars and dicks running down the middle. Not sure if these things have any use. Cassidy strokes one, but the magic doesnt happen.

x7zXBPi.jpg

The hallway continues forever, but the party finally comes across a northern door. A message appears: "Through the door, you hear orcs laughing about something" At first I thought the game had locked up because I couldnt click away the message box. It took awhile to figure out whats going on-

At the bottom left there are 2 options- 'Listen' or 'Ignore'

This was a tough decision. If I 'Listen', I'll loose 15 influence with Crooked Bee and will be blocked from romancing her. If I choose 'Ignore' I'll loose 10 influence with Azira, and with it, his stat bonuses from the lost friendship rank. RPGs sure have tough meaningful choices these days.

F98Kfuz.jpg

The orcs say something but there are no subtitles. While I like the crazy cartoony orc voices, its hard to figure out what they are saying. Another thing I like is spell effects. Being serious here, Not sure if I mentioned it yet, but this game has some of the best ive seen in a D&D game. Magic Missile is shit, but everything else Ive seen is pretty cool. The game surprisingly has really good smoke and fog effects for spells. Screenshots dont to it justice. They are all animated great too. Here, Cassidy blesses the party, and they bust in.

rCih8NN.jpg

Youve seen this effect before, but this is Azira's Mage armor. Its like a cross of Highlander's power up pose and Terminator's time warping teleporter effect. The party destroys the orcs in the room, but aggros another group from the eastern section of the room.

K9h6vfo.jpg

RK47 uses sleep against the second group. Easily my favorite effect so far- a black mist with glitter gold snow flakes that buzz around like fireflies. Enough with the spell demo for now- The orcs are cleared, find a +1 junk sword, and cross through the room's northern door.

auRG0VP.jpg

The hallways get a bit confusing, with crossroads, and dead ends. If Crooked Bee doesnt find a bathroom soon, its all over. Things get a little freaky as a strange scary voice echoes throughout the ruins. Sounds sort of like a mage shouting an incarnation. We hear it about twice as we bumble around. The heroes finally discover a room with no clear way in. Theres a chest in there... A CHEST WITH POT METAL LOCK. Think we can pick it? or will we need a POT METAL KEY?

RXLgxaC.jpg

Following the wall around north we find we cant directly enter the room from the hall- we gotta go through 2 small connected rooms first. A set of challenges maybe? The first room is empty except a well filled with water. Crooked Bee finds 8gp inside. 1st challenge completed.

DCOKhQz.jpg

Second Room has 2 Orc brothers sitting at small desks, making macaroni art. They ask Crooked Bee whos art is better. She tells them she likes them equally. The Orcs demand that she chooses one. She tells them that they are both great artists. The brothers start shoving the pasta constructs in her face and start screaming. Azira intrudes and says that true men use beads. The orcs, enraged, attack. Crooked Bee gets one shotted, while RK47 slips on a gluestick and nearly dies. The Heroes pull though and heal up with spells. 2nd challenge completed.

zrnMN6I.jpg

Theres is nothing in the last room with the chests. Final challenge completed. The Pot Metal Locked chest will not open. So.. It DOES needs a Pot Metal Key. The second chests opens up and we find some phat loot inside- 2 healing pots, a scroll (dont remember the type) and Gloves of Dex. Cassidy takes them to even out her stat for the AC bonus.

I marked the locked chest on the map. Maybe It will be my goal for next update. Whats inside? I must know. Actually I dont care. My grandmas slipper smells like a stale peanut.

btbgfel

Scholar
Played this back then. I lost interest on level 4 and use speedmod to beat it. SpeedMod is a MUST. This dungeon is the largest one in game, with 4-5 insanely huge levels. After completing this dungeon and arriving at the surface, the game actually gets better, for a while. There are still one or two large dungeons, smaller and fewer levels than the first one. The second floor of the dungeon filled with
drows
trends to crash the game a lot.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Level 4 is EVEN BIGGER?? By the Thyr's Beard!
PS. already finished tutorial, will make my group soon.

Played already, cleared the surface. Game is cool and - like any D&D computer game - doable when you boost up HP from pathetic few hit points to 30-50.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom