Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Perihelion: The Prophecy

Cranioclast

Novice
I was planning on playing an entirely different game but I can't find the vore fetish Diablo clone anymore. I know the refined tastebuds of fair Codexia would have loved that game.

Feel free to fling complaints and suggestions, and if something irritates you to a no end feel free to send me some furry smut. I'll take note and act appropriately.

intro.gif

intro00.gif

Video of the intro:youtube

First thing to do is character creation.
01.gif

As usual there are multiple races with differing stats. Humans are pretty much the same average race as always. Bionecrons are made of organic metal, good stats, but somewhat vulnerable to psi-powers. Cyberns have good physical stats but they are mental cripples. Symbions are a mix between humans and bionecrons. Khymeras are mixed humans who are statwise stronger in some areas. They also utilise special skills like night-sight and hypnotic gaze. (If only they had use outside of the manual)
classes.gif

Three mage, three fighter classes. Random codexers act as the chosen ones, ready to save the world.
Naturally the first character to be made is a white pedigree male with strenghtened bone structure.
04.gif

Nomask takes care of armed combat as a cybern assasin.
05.gif

ScottishMartialArts serves as the teams anchorite healing & damaging enemy forces.
06.gif

When rolling characters you are asked about the characters morality. It affects stat rolls, mainly on classes which get to choose what entity they worship depending on their morality class. (Entity gives stat bonuses to certain stats.)
07.gif

Mangoose is a bionecron knight.
The characters have plenty of different stats which could be nice if they saw more use.
secondstats.gif

resvalues.gif

08.gif

Lockkaliber is a symbion psionic.
10.gif

11.gif

12.gif

And the last one. A bionecron mercenary.
13.gif

After leaving its ageless, protective walls the party casts a final glance back at the Citadel, which has been their silent and calm cradle for centuries before this nightmare has begun. As the wind bring noises of alarm-signals and explosions from the distance you suddenly realize that the Citadel is dying in the ruthless grip of that mysterious, dissolving power, which is now obviously sensing you and will spare no effort to pursue you... until the end. But presently you're alone with a SandGlider-unit in the middle of this desert, totally puzzled and not knowing where to turn... maybe the only useable information you have is that last file-entry on your NetStation...
Using the computer network and typing in "dir", I find out that I have a file named .farewell. Reading it reveals this message:
15.gif

Moving around happens on the map screen and when you get to some point of interest, like the city of MidLight, the view switches to very barebones 3D-screen.
17.gif

18.gif

After a short, but tiring climb in the rust-coloured sand you finally reach the top of a small dune. As you let your eyes adjust to the eerie sunlight, a majestic sight appears in front of you and immediately takes your breath away... You are facing the ancient city of MidLight, a memento of the vanished past in this decaying, damned present. In a strange mood you decide to advance towards the once so powerful metropolis, which is nowadays only a haunted shade of itself. The pollution, the crime and the BioNecron Wars were taking their toll...
19.gif

That round indicator on the left side of the UI tells if there's anything interesting nearby. Handy because items of interest pop up only when you are at the correct spot.
movement.gif

The first character I meet is this fellow here.
21.gif

The elderly cybern male watches you quite suspiciously as you enter into his slightly confined hall, but after recognizing the imperial marks upon your clothing he seems to be relieved a bit. As you look around the place you see different chests, weaponry and packages, which clearly shows that the owner of this place is prepared to defend his property, or leave it as quickly and safely as possible.
22.gif

In the future everything related to talking happens through a computer with a bad interface. MS-DOS is user-friendly compared to this thing.
23.gif

Asking about "NetCode" reveals more information.
24.gif

It's not needed to log in to those two networks,INDIGO and GLOBAL but since I can show off the map I'll do so.
25.gif

That is one of the readable files on Indigo network. Every action you take in networks, outside of personal, costs credits, be it using dir to see the available files or reading the files. Downloading costs the most so naturally it's best to use it sparely. Also some files are restricted so you can't view them.
26.gif

27.gif

28.gif

This is the map. Might look decent, until you realize that the maps are absolutely empty except for a few phrases and points of interest. Added bonus is that you pretty much have to go through the points of interest in linear order. I don't think the man you will be seeing shortly is around until you speak to the cybern... Anyway the 3D-section is very badly done overall. It should have been either completely scrapped or done proberly. Now it's just dull walk from one empty corner to the next one.
29.gif

31.gif

Moving on to find that person that man mentioned. When you meet up with him this text displays:
The first thing you notice after a single moment about the keeper of this store is that he's obviously one of the few still remaining veterans of the Bionecron Wars. The cold, lifeless stare of his typical bloodred bionecron eyes and the little tattoo on his pale grey skin makes it clear that he has been put under the torment and agony of a mental modification-process after the so called victory. Well, nobody deserves life like this...
35.gif

Talking only makes us listen to some whining so let's ask about the netcode.
36.gif

The manual gives a subtle hint about this netcode. It has this fill in the blank space and it reveals the code: "Norman Bates is a ____ "
Here are two reports available in the psycho network.
37.gif

38.gif

Time to move on through the empty streets. Eventually I see a girl with a baby and this text displays:
As you walk those dirty streets, your eyes suddenly alights on a simple escapee girl who is holding her little baby. You cannot explain why, she's just one among the hundreds of those poor and homeless people, but you sense something weird about her and her baby. Anyway, perhaps your senses are playing games with you...
:roll:
41.gif

I select the pendant in the inventory and use it on the baby to get this message:
Driven by a very strange idea and all those rumors you recently heard you remove the Rex Helion-symbol from within the pleats of your clothes. As the baby's gaze catches the symbol you are momentarily stunned by a telepathic message, as powerful as it can be... The message is a word, only one single word: ASYLUM. Then - as his mental conditioning is now completed - the baby falls into a deep unconscious slumber.

Soon it's time for the first fight so I'll be telling a little about the magic system.
magiccreation.gif

The magic system is one of the more annoying copy protections I have seen in a older game. The manual gives you a precise list of runes you need to input to get a desired spell. Naturally it gives no mention of what a spell does or what class can use it.
45.gif

I give all the mages some spells. Intelligence affects how many spells you can store in your characters memory. In every spell you input you can choose if the spell either a blast, cone, field, etc. That choice affects the range and casting cost of the spell among with the radius that the spell affects. Blast for example targets one character in longer distance. Cone is shorter range but three different characters can be aimed at, and a field is multiple grids.

Moving further I meet the first threat my party will face.
47.gif

You are facing a serious street riot: the wild, enraged crowd is led by some young reptiloid priests of a strongly negative entity called Vitriol. The appearance of those ill-famed and perverse priests is always very likely in similar situations: they are unpredictably violent and chaotic, so it is not surprising they're enjoying the confusion... but beyond the rapidly growing tension you can clearly feel something more frightening: these people - even the priests - are not in full control of themselves. There is a hidden power behind their blazing eyes...
You are supposed to be able to scan enemies but I haven't seen where it actually works.
48.gif

As can be seen the combat resembles goldbox games, although the window shows too little as the graphics are too large. It would be better if it showed a larger area instead of the miniscule one which makes simple tasks, like aiming, more strenuous. The other problem is that those statbars are a little unclear in combat, if you want more detailed information you need to go to another screen.
50.gif

I thought I had better pictures of this encounter but I found out that was not the case.
51.gif

The fight was for the most part uneventful. Nomask took the largest beating which suited me fine as then no character was in danger of dying.
54.gif

There's no spell that can bring dead characters to live and wounds can quickly kill off characters if they are left untreated.
56.gif

59.gif

The game doesn't have any levels, instead the stats go up as they are used.
58.gif

During the battle Dicksmoker couldn't take the heat and collapsed. Luckily the enemies that were still standing died shortly after and the party emerged victorious.
60.gif

The enemies dropped a key that let me progress further and open a locked door.
63.gif

64.gif

I log in to the Asylum network and find this message:
65.gif

Since I was a lazy bastard the full file is continued in these images.
66.gif

67.gif

68.gif

I download the permission.
69.gif

Now the city is meaningless and the party can safely forget it ever existed and go on to the next location.
70.gif

73.gif

WatchTower-colony... the mysterious origin of the postnuclear civilization, the legendary inventor of the most powerful new technologies, the most independent city-state in the Empire, protected by the most brilliantly trained military force in the Allied Zones. It is an ancient monument, an entire world of seventeen underground levels built in in the heart of the desert by rough stone and raw iron: it is precisely organized and perfectly controlled society of more than eleven thousand citizens.. and you came here to find one of them.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The writing is atrocious. The formatting makes it near-unreadable.

I like the art but otherwise the game looks pretty bad. Is it bad, good?

Gondolin

Arcane
The writing is exceedingly bad. When the elderly cybern male said "Hey, guys", it obliterated every mood within 50 meters of my computer.

pipka

Savant
This LP reminded me of all action movies I'd seen long time ago. Cyborgs, mutants, deserts and some kind of struggle. Those were really bad movies.

DraQ

Arcane
>enter codex playground

You enter infamous Codex Playground, the place where deranged creatures of the Codex derive morbid pleasure from poking fun at various games as their stories and gameplay unfold before them. You notice a new LP thread, but don't recognize the name of the game it is about.

>read the thread

You open the thread and the first thing you see are obviously dated, but pretty interesting screenshots.

>examine screenshots

From the screenshots and posted descriptions you can judge that the obscure game is some party based RPG set in rather unusual and fairly promising post apocalyptic setting blending magic and technology. Writing, on the other hand seems not so stellar. You begin to wonder if it's some forgotten gem, or did this game actually earn its fade to obscurity.

>say: HI GUISE IZ THIS GAEM GUD???

lightbane

Arcane
Bonus points for being an obscure game.

PS: Let's see, suposedly good art, postapocalyptic setting, horrible writing... Hey, it's just like FAilout 3!! Which means gaming indeed performed a full circle...

Calem Ravenna

Scholar
Never got around to playing this, which is weird considering I've got that colour scheme imprinted on my mind ever since I saw some screenshots in a randomly bought Amiga mag.

Keep it coming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom