Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Original War

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, with 1 vote for 'stand up to the Man', 1 vote for 'fetch!', and one in-between, it falls to me to decide our course of action.
You tell him, Macmillan!
2015_02_11_220906.jpg

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Sir, are you getting tired… You should rest for a while…
Powell_small.jpg
- (snapping) How am I supposed to rest, Macmillan? The Russians stole the Motherlode, mercenaries are building a Siberite rocket under my nose, and the whole Russian army is heading this way!
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Sir, can I just...
Powell_small.jpg
- (shouting) Shut up! Is talking all you want to do, Macmillan!? You’ve got orders, now get on with them before I really get mad!

Alright. Can't say we didn't expect it to happen. Still, if it saps Powell's sanity, it's a good thing to do in my book.

He gives us a few soldiers and sends us on our way.
2015_02_11_204157.jpg

I am pleasantly surprised to see two of my buddies from the very first mission have made it to the end. They are fairly good in their chosen professions, even though they are still mediocre compared to the better characters out there.
2015_02_11_204225.jpg

AAA_Bobby_Brandon.jpg
- John Macmillan, at last! General Powell’s having trouble, sir. He’s losing touch with reality.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Look, I like Powell less than anyone, but the guy’s a soldier to his core and he’s still our commander. And he’s right about this access road. If Russian reinforcements come this way, they’ll destroy us in no time. So let’s cut the crap and get working.

We begin with a depot while Powell's engineers bring along a few crates to get us started.

The moment we hit the last nail, there is an attack on our base. Thankfully, I did not switch my soldiers to engineers yet, or this could have become a tricky situation, seeing how I have no armory yet to change them back.
2015_02_11_204437.jpg

As it is, though, repelling them is trivial. Remember the horrifying losses inflicted on my computer-controlled vehicles in the last mission? Well, turnabout is fair play, bitches! Not even gatling guns can help them.
2015_02_11_204508.jpg

The enemy tries to pull tanks back if you damage them enough. I am not sure why, though - they can't repair them, as there is no base and no mechanics in that direction.

I decide to put the armory right on top of the slope leading to my base.
2015_02_11_204722.jpg

Since the lab would be the place where my men will spend most of their time, I place it back-to-back with the armory so I could switch scientists to soldiers and back at a moment's notice.
2015_02_11_204828.jpg

Here is Powell's base. It is pretty understaffed, all things considered. A single scientist lazily researches some primitive tech, while a pair of mechanics are working on lackluster tanks (some light gun/double gun ones with a solar engine).
2015_02_11_204948.jpg

Powell himself is a pretty tough cookie, and has 10/8/10/4 (soldier/engineer/mechanic/scientist) in his skills. Macmillan is a bit weaker with just 10/5/7/7, but that's because I mostly kept him in the labs during early missions. Indeed, he is the most prominent scientist on my team now.

The Russians send some more tanks my way, but anti-infantry weapons don't fare all too well against solid walls of the armory.
2015_02_11_205853.jpg

I upgrade my lab to specialize in Optics, as I hear crates teleporting all around the map, but don't see where. I want to continue expanding my base.

Sadly, I can't start using the specialized lab until i build some power plants, and they eat at my already thin reserves of crates.
2015_02_11_210307.jpg

More attackers. Double gun tanks are a bit irritating, as they can hit the lab from outside the range of my armory, necessitating going out in the field to meet them. And then I have to repair everything they've damaged.
2015_02_11_210349.jpg

One group of gun-only tanks even managed to put my armory in the red, but as guns aren't very effective against infantry, they mostly cost me time. Also, I found out that if you let a few tanks escape, they will come back with the next wave. That's pretty cool.

Meanwhile, I upgrade the lab for the second time, this time to research computers. Yes, computer vehicles aren't great, but some types, like a cargo truck, or a bulldozer, or a builder crane, or even a Siberite missile doomsday device, can really benefit from not requiring a driver to babysit them.
2015_02_11_211047.jpg

By the way, I forgot to show you the Legion base. The one Powell says is developing the Siberite bomb.
2015_02_11_211200.jpg

That's a lot of turrets.

The mission is starting to get stale. The incessant attacks aren't that hard to counter, and I am running out of things to do.
2015_02_11_211422.jpg

I don't have enough crates, but if I venture through the northern base to pick some up...

Powell_small.jpg
- Macmillan! You've got your men, keep an eye on them. And don’t hang around the base, defend the access roads!

Yup, General Fun happens. But since we love teasing him anyway...

Powell_small.jpg
- Macmillan, I said keep your men in your territory! That’s an order. Understand me? ORDER! It happens again and you’re finished.

And should you piss him one time too many...
Powell_small.jpg
- I warned you, Macmillan! Hand in your uniform and get out of here. Do you understand? GET OUT OF THIS BASE!

General Powell dismissed you. You lost!

Did I tell you how much I like this guy?
People start gathering around Powell, and I noticed that they managed to build a few tanks when I wasn't looking. Something is about to go down.
2015_02_11_211547.jpg

Indeed.
2015_02_11_211632.jpg

Powell_small.jpg
- Get ready, boys. The main target’s are the lab and factory where they’re working on the rocket. If we don’t destroy them we can get a rocket hitting us any time. Fight like hell!
AAA_Jack_Campell.jpg
- Yes, sir!
Powell_small.jpg
- In ten minutes, this hill is gonna be ours. Forward!

The soldiers go to their tanks. None of them bothers to change into mechanic garb to get a better chance of - if not success, then at least of survival.
2015_02_11_211726.jpg

The tanks sally forth. Not only their weapons are crap (two light guns, and two double guns), but they are driven by rookies who weren't even assigned the correct profession. This can only end well.
2015_02_11_211752.jpg

The engagement starts...
2015_02_11_211758.jpg

...but does not last. :lol:
2015_02_11_211806.jpg

AAA_Bill_Clapton.jpg
- Retreat!
Powell_small.jpg
- Who the hell said retreat! Who?!

2015_02_11_211814.jpg

AAA_George_Mc_Carthy.jpg
- We lost our vehicles, sir!
Powell_small.jpg
- You yellow bastard! I said destroy the lab and factory. If you lose your vehicle, you go on foot. Get back there!

How about you lift your fat ass and lead by example, eh? Like, say, major Sikorsky? The dude whom you have gotten killed while trying and failing hard to capture the first Siberite deposit? Ugh.

Fortunately, no one was killed this time, as the soldiers had enough sense in them to recognize the hopeless battle when they see one. What a waste of crates! :argh:
2015_02_11_211851.jpg

Nothing much happens in the next ten minutes or so. People at the northern base are slowly rebuilding their forces. Only one mechanic is working on a vehicle at a time. I figured they didn't want to die, so they took it upon themselves to sabotage the mission as much as possible. :salute:

We research things bit by bit, eventually getting to the technology that grants our soldiers invisibility if they stand still.
2015_02_11_213714.jpg

They can still get discovered if their pursuers bump right into them, but the AI does not do that if you aren't deliberately getting in its way. It is good for hiding snipers near a enemy base only to reveal them when the defenders are out.

I get a few level-ups in my skills, but nothing major.
2015_02_11_213947.jpg

The way exp system works, you get more experience per action the higher is your level. So Macmillan, a 7th level scientist, gets 7 XP per tick, whice Cyrus only gets 5. So there is still a disparity between the amount of XP they get doing the same job, but the exponential growth of level-up requirements ensures that their level gap stays roughly the same.

A unit who performs an action while being specialized in a 'correct' profession gets double the XP. So a soldier gets twice the XP shooting at someone than a medic does, and an engineer gets twice the XP building a structure than a mechanic who helps him with the task. Scientists are the only exception, AFAIK, as you can't do research or heal people if you aren't a scientist.

Furthermore, some soldiers can have natural talents in certain skills, leading to a much faster progression. It sounds complicated, but it is generally easy to see if a given unit is good at a certain profession or not.

I am starting to get bored, but there is another commotion at Powell's base.
2015_02_11_214619.jpg

I knew I could always count on our good general for entertainment.
2015_02_11_214654.jpg

Powell_small.jpg
- Prepare for another attack. Third platoon will go with you as infantry support.
AAA_Jack_Campell.jpg
- Yes, sir.
Powell_small.jpg
- If they destroy your vehicle, you get out and go on. If anyone retreats I'll shoot them myself! Is that understood?!
AAA_Bill_Clapton.jpg
- Yes, sir!
Um, aren't you the guy who shouted 'Retreat!' the moment things got sour? :lol:
Powell_small.jpg
- Main targets: lab, factory. Burn them. And if you see the Russian bomb maker, Kozlov, kill that bastard. Forward!

The drivers get to their vehicles. Just like the last time, no one is fit for the job they are trying to do.
2015_02_11_214721.jpg

The infantry waits for them at a rendezvous point.
2015_02_11_214739.jpg

They start together, but the tanks are faster than the infantry by a fair margin. That's probably a good thing, as they have a certain durability that men do not.
2015_02_11_214745.jpg

They take the first hit. Powell is shouting at them on the radio to keep the line.
2015_02_11_214752.jpg

The infantry catches up shortly after.
2015_02_11_214757.jpg

For a moment, it looks like they can even accomplish something.
2015_02_11_214801.jpg

Our first man falls, but so does theirs.
2015_02_11_214806.jpg

They even manage to blow up one of the cannons, forcing the soldier out. Or an ape, as the case might be. The animal opens fire that is just as devastating. More of our troops fall.
2015_02_11_214817.jpg

It is the beginning of an end.
2015_02_11_214825.jpg

But the last driver still drops the ape before going down.
2015_02_11_214833.jpg

Then... silence.
2015_02_11_214844.jpg

:dead:

AAA_Irving_Lyon.jpg
- They are all dead, sir…
Powell_small.jpg
- The useless bastards! How can I win with shit like this. They are lucky to be dead, if they weren’t I’d shoot the useless bastards myself!

Is that what I think it is?
2015_02_11_214904.jpg

OH SHIT OHSHIT OHSHI~!!!
2015_02_11_214909.jpg

They stop one, centimeters away from the Factory, but the second one reaches its goal.
2015_02_11_214916.jpg

BOOM!
2015_02_11_214917.jpg

This does not look good for us.
2015_02_11_214920.jpg

Powell_small.jpg
- Fight, you useless jerks! Our factory’s gone and theirs isn’t even scratched! Come on, you chicken livered shits! Fight them!
AAA_Irving_Lyon.jpg
- What do you want, general, you’ve sent almost everyone to their deaths...
Powell_small.jpg
- I want soldiers that carry out orders! That fight to win, not survive!
AAA_Lennox_Webber.jpg
- The Legion has an excellent defensive position...

That comment was the last straw that sends Powell over the line. He snaps.

Powell_small.jpg
- You know nothing! The Arabian defence is full of holes! And none of you can see it!

He heads up for the first vehicle he sees and gets inside.
2015_02_11_221721.jpg

:what:

Uh... I don't think you have thought this through, pal.
2015_02_11_214950.jpg

Nevermind. Do continue.

:avatard:
2015_02_11_214958.jpg

:hero:

You have to give credit where credit is due. Powell drives like a boss, zig-zagging between the projectiles that go off all around him.
2015_02_11_215003.jpg

Driver skill ten, baby.

2015_02_11_215006.jpg

Powell_small.jpg
- [dodges rockets and gunfire] (shouts madly) Where the hell’s the impenetrable defence? Where is it!?
2015_02_11_215011.jpg

Powell_small.jpg
- [gets out of the burning vehicle] (shouts madly) If I lose the vehicle I continue on foot, understood?
2015_02_11_215013.jpg

Powell_small.jpg
- [gets into a self-propelled bomb vehicle] (shouts madly) I'll kill you all, you bastards, I'll kill you all!
2015_02_11_215018.jpg

2015_02_11_215019.jpg

2015_02_11_215020.jpg

The Arabs scatter in a panic. They did not ask for this.

Powell makes a circle around the now suddenly empty base. Then...
2015_02_11_215026.jpg

Powell_small.jpg
- (with unnatural calm) If you really want to get something done... do it yourself! :terrorist:

2015_02_11_215029.jpg

2015_02_11_215030.jpg

2015_02_11_215031.jpg

2015_02_11_215051.jpg

:hmmm:

AAA_Irving_Lyon.jpg
- Oh, God!
AAA_Mac_Doc.jpg
- Whatever people thought of Powell, the guy died a hero.
The joke is so obvious here, I am not even going to say it out loud. :roll:
AAA_Cyrus_Parker.jpg
- He died a madman! And I’m glad he did.
AAA_Bobby_Brandon.jpg
- The guy sure liked fireworks.
AAA_James_Gibson.jpg
- Wild man, totally wild.
AAA_Lennox_Webber.jpg
- Show me another guy that can destroy a factory single-handed.
AAA_Ingrid_Jonson.jpg
- The man was total commitment. No wonder we fell short of his expectations.

Are you even serious!?

There is an awkward pause afer everyone finishes their eulogy for the man.

AAA_James_Gibson.jpg
- Major Macmillan, are you ready to accept the high command of American army?
AAA_Mac_Doc.jpg
- I’m ready. OK, listen up. We’ve still got a mission here, let’s finish the job ladies and gentlemen.

The King is dead. All hail the King!

So, to sum it up. I have a half-ruined base, no factory, a bunch of no-good rookies that look up to Powell as a shining example of a commanding officer, and the Legion still has most of its defences intact while Kozlov gets closer and closer to the fatal breakthrough.

Just another day in the American military, I suppose. :australia:
I don't know why there are several spoilers. Forum engine bug? Can't get too many pictures under one?

Edit: nvm, the problem fixed itself.

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't forget about the arabs when you're about to finish your mission. It's a fucking stress inducing moment.

lightbane

Arcane
You know, someone able to scream his disappointment about his troops while dodging rockets and gunfire at the same time deserves some respect. Powell had a better death scene than what I've expected. :kwanzania:

Nevill

Arcane
Sorry. I've been ill for most of the week, so the current update is going to be a short one.

You know, someone able to scream his disappointment about his troops while dodging rockets and gunfire at the same time deserves some respect. Powell had a better death scene than what I've expected.
Any perceived 'deficiency' in the quality of troops is a failing of the commander. A good leader knows the limits of soldiers whose lives he is trusted with, and works with the tools he is given.

Powell was a competent soldier, I can give him that. As a commander, though, he was lacking in more ways than I can count.

That the problem he failed to solve was quite trivial, as you will soon see, does not make his case any better.
Immediately upon Powell's death I receive a strange incoming transmission.
2015_02_13_132312.jpg

AAA_Friend.jpg
- Hello? This is a "friend". I am impressed by the general’s act. But it’s a great loss.
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- Who are you? What do you want?
AAA_Friend.jpg
- I am a man who, unlike the rest of you, is not in favour of mass destruction! That's why I talked to your general and I talk to you now.
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- What have you got to tell us, ‘friend’?
AAA_Friend.jpg
- Kozlov is still alive – and works on a Siberite bomb. Legion wants this thing really badly. You have not won the battle, just delayed the result.
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- Why should I take your word for it?
AAA_Friend.jpg
- You don’t have to. Tell yourself I am a liar, sit back and wait to die!
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- What’s in it for you?
AAA_Friend.jpg
- In return for my help your general promised to spare my life. Not much, I know, but it means a lot to me! So, do you honour the deal?
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- Depends how valuable your ‘friendship’ turns out to be. Inform us regularly and I’ll think about it.

There is a pause before the reply comes in.

AAA_Friend.jpg
- This isn’t good.
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- Tough, 'friend'. It’s all you’re getting.

Brilliant. More mercenary diplomacy. It appears we will have to act quickly.

But first, a small overview of our forces. Here is what I am left with.
2015_02_13_131726.jpg

2015_02_13_131736.jpg

As you can see, about half of these people are somewhat mediocre. Worse yet, there is a distinct lack of good mechanics and scientists on my team, tilting the balance strongly to the soldiers and engineers.

Hmmm. Soldiers and engineers, huh? Maybe we can make this work.

I leave three people from my team to ward off the Russians...
2015_02_13_132719.jpg

...while the rest of my team - my best and elite soldiers - go up north to reunite with Powell's remnants.

If it worked once, it might work this time, too. Right?
2015_02_13_132645.jpg

I take one medic and one engineer with us. They might prove useful. Then I breath in, breath out, and utter the usual battlecry.

Macmillan in chapter 8 said:
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- LEEEEROOOYYYY JENNNNNNKINS!!! :popamole:

Macmillan leads the assault. Not only because he is that much better than Powell, but because he is a 10th level soldier and is the most armored unit at my disposal. We've all seen how the rookies fared against the enemy guns.

To my surprise, we find the whole defense line on the eastern side completely abandoned. :D
2015_02_13_132750.jpg

Apparently, the game did not really expect this turn of events and had the Legionaries busy elsewhere. I can't believe my luck while I am climbing all the way up inside their base without firing a single shot.

Once inside, I notice an armory and immediately open fire on it. It is empty, but if enemy soldiers reach it and outfit themselves with mortars, I will stand no chance.

Apparently, the defense turrets in the middle are still manned.
2015_02_13_132844.jpg

The rocket turret really goes to town on my mid-level men, and I can't outrun rockets on foot. In a few shots one of my soldiers lies unconscious. Thankfully, the body falls out of the turret's sight, and it can not finish him for good.

Meanwhile, I notice a warehouse right behind the armory. It is completely empty, and I get a nasty idea.
2015_02_13_132907.jpg

The moment I capture the warehouse, the power fails, and the turrets fall silent. We have managed to seize half of the enemy base in under a minute!
2015_02_13_132921.jpg

The mercenaries notice that something is wrong and pour forth. They are all high level soldiers with good kit, and one-on-one they could have overpowered us. Thankfully, we outnumber them at least 2-to-1.
2015_02_13_133611.jpg

If I were a bit slower, the mercenaries would eventualy have tried to occupy nearby turrets and then I would've had a tough fight on my hands. The capture of the warehouse leaves them only one defensive structure to run for - the armory.

Unfortunately for them, my engineer captures and repaints it right as they are about to enter. They try to flee, but the combined fire from our soldiers is simply too thick to escape.
2015_02_13_134117.jpg

They don't go down without a fight, though. Two of my weaker soldiers are bleeding out on the ground.

My plan is to have my wounded soldiers retreat to the armory, outfit them with mortars, and have them support the rest of my team from afar. It is working quite splendidly.
2015_02_13_134203.jpg

This guy is a 10th level scientist. I order my men not to shoot him. If we manage to capture him, he will prove an invaluable asset. His colleague is less talented, though, and therefore expendable.

I have managed to keep everyone alive so far, but this isn't good. The turrets on the right side of the base are working. That can only mean one thing - the base is actually two bases, with two separate supply depots working independently. The armory standing right under the turret does not make me more optimistic, either.
2015_02_13_134315.jpg

However, after shooting enough people, Macmillan comes forward with a proposal.
2015_02_13_134326.jpg

AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- Stop fighting. You don't have a chance. We won't hurt you.

It is our old pal Kurt who answers us.

Kurt.jpg
- Have we a guarantee?
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- What do you want? A signed contract? You’ve got my word.

Now, because we were nice to him - didn't shoot him back in the 6th mission, and did not lie about the location of the primary Siberite deposit (because I never met the mercs in the 12th mission) - Kurt believes us and agrees to a surrender.

Kurt.jpg
- You saved my life, Macmillan, I know you are man of honour. Drop your weapons, guys.
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- Surrender your weapons and you can leave.
Kurt.jpg
- Or we could join your ranks. Career prospects for mercenaries look pretty bleak now!
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- It would be a great help. Welcome to the team guys.

Not a second later, a factory blows up. Wait, I know this guy!
2015_02_13_134357.jpg

Crisis averted. :salute:

So, what have we got here?
2015_02_13_134508.jpg

The mercenaries, as you can see, are vastly better trained than my own soldiers, though also less well rounded-up. They are specialists, which kinda makes sense.

I've got 2 mechanics, 1 scientist, Kurt (who is pretty so-so), and 3 apes. Look at their stats! A monkey in a terrorist camp is a better trained soldier than the American rookies they hand to me. No wonder we are fighting a losing war.

Also, may I note that the whole operation took us 3 minutes, one of which was spent on walking up to the base? Take that, Powell!

The very next second a strange figure appears in the base.
2015_02_13_134529.jpg

AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- And who are you?
AAA_Friend_Direct.jpg
- You don’t remember your "friend"!?
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- Good to see you in the flesh buddy. Have you got information for us?
AAA_Friend_Direct.jpg
- One of our Sheikhs, Omar Ali, and his bitch Heike found a way to create chain reaction in the Siberite. If they reach the primary deposit, we’ll all be dead.
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- My God.
AAA_Friend_Direct.jpg
- So tell me, do you spare my life, friend? I am good mechanic.

Choice time!
2015_02_13_134540.jpg

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
Accept him cause your own people suck balls.
A monkey in a terrorist camp is a better trained soldier than the American rookies they handle me.
:kwafuckyeah:

Nevill

Arcane
We will accept him. Hopefully, we won't have to replay the whole mission because of this choice. :troll:
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- We need all the help we can get, but don’t make friends with anyone else, OK?

Our 'friend' here turns out not as good as he claimed to be (just a lvl 7 mechanic), but he will do.
2015_02_22_151745.jpg

I leave him behind and take all able-bodied men to help defend the southern base. Intuition tells me it is going to be hit hard in the next minutes. Well, intuition and a few reloads. ;)
2015_02_22_152059.jpg

And not a moment too soon, it seems. My soldiers arrive just in time for another assault.
2015_02_22_152404.jpg

And a pretty heavy one, at that. If I wasn't quick enough with the capture of the Legion base, this one could have easily fallen.
2015_02_22_152444.jpg

As it is, though, I simply suffer some wounds from gatling guns, but I have expert medics for that.
2015_02_22_152636.jpg

I decide to fortify the base and build a turret and a workshop - presumably, to mount a weapon on it. In hindsight, that was a stupid move, for several reasons that will become apparent later.
2015_02_22_153507.jpg

Back at home I upgrade my lab to the Siberite one, and build a few extensions for my factory. I need the computer-controlled cargo vehicles.
2015_02_22_153537.jpg

The assaults on the southern base are getting worse. The rocket launchers join the fray, and I will have to leave the safety of the armory occasionaly to deal with them.
2015_02_22_153645.jpg

I dismantle the depot in the Powell's base and rebuild it closer to the south. The reason is that I want to dismantle the southern depot and unite two bases. It is much easier to manage one big base than two smaller ones.
2015_02_22_154201.jpg

Therefore, I did not need the second workshop in the southern base, as I can use the already existing one to produce weapons for the turrets in base range. Hindsight 20/20.

I am starting to get low on crates. I have to dismantle the armory before I am able to produce my first cargo truck. Not that I needed the second armory anyway.
2015_02_22_154628.jpg

And the reason why I need the cargo truck is because there is a lot of crates lying around.
2015_02_22_154922.jpg

Alright, maybe I did need the second armory. Because there is an attack on the southern base, and I can't send reinforcements because all my personnel are engineers, mechanics (with no combat vehicles yet) and medics.
2015_02_22_155436.jpg

Hmmm, medics...
2015_02_22_155647.jpg

Yeah. Just like the enemy medics in the last mission, mine, too, prove to be unkillable. The computer-controlled tanks can destroy our fortifications, but they just can't keep our guys down.

Also, notice the power distribution on the last two screenshots. I had a power deficiency in Powell's base on the first screen, but it is gone on the second one. The reason why is that when you have several bases nearby you can link buildings to a specific depot/warehouse if they are in range. I have linked two of the power plants in the southern base to Powell's. If I need this power back (to do some research in the southern lab, for example), I can switch them back. It is quite a neat mechanic.

Ultimately, though, I want a single depot covering the whole territory, so I dismantle the southern one altogether. Now I don't need to micromanage power.

I order two construction cranes to help me with the defenses. They are much faster than engineers.
2015_02_22_160642.jpg

Also, you might notice that the turret I constructed earlier is gone. It was not destroyed, I dismantled it myself. The reason why is that I forgot how soldiers from different sides interact with each other and ordered a mercenary to build it. The problem with that is that kebab-built turrets are not compatible with American weapons and can only be outfitted with weapons in kebab-built factories. Oops.

I build a proper defense line in both of my bases, as well as enough Siberite power plants to keep everything online.
2015_02_22_162716.jpg

2015_02_22_162805.jpg

I have collected all the crates I could, and also discovered a river behind which I assume is the main Russian base, judging by the glow of the time-lapser turrets.
2015_02_22_163555.jpg

I also build a mandatory bulldozer for fun, but it gets caught and blown up by the pink forces. :(
2015_02_22_163837.jpg

At about 18 minutes in, Joan arrives with the reinforcements.
2015_02_22_164808.jpg

Just a few laser and rocket tanks, but I'll take what I can get.

Incidentally, if we didn't level the Russian base in the previous mission, it would be Burlak's brother, Sevi, arriving with reinforcements of his own. If we didn't save Joan, he'd gloat about that fact, too.

At this point I have dismantled most of the Legion's base in the north, because I figured it won't be attacked anyway, and even if it did, it contains nothing of value safe for the barracks. I need the crates more than I do extra bases.

There is a curious forest in the center of the map, lightened up by a familiar glow of lapser towers. I wonder where it will bring me if I bulldoze through it.
2015_02_22_165517.jpg

Interesting.
2015_02_22_165831.jpg

So I guess if we find we can't force the ford (which is likely, if mission 12 is of any indication), we can try to attack from this side.

There is a forest to the south-east, too.
2015_02_22_170206.jpg

The time-lapsers and missile launchers are unmistakably Russian. Another Russian base? But why do their soldiers have American names like 'Irene Armstrong'?
2015_02_22_170831.jpg

My oh my, we stumbled upon the hidden Alliance base. It is officially a thing!

Presumably, we are not supposed to discover them until they announce their presence and declare their intentions. I wonder if I can make them surrender before that. I order the construction of several heavy gun tanks, all manually controlled by my best mechanics.
2015_02_22_171317.jpg

And a few rocket launchers and gatling tanks for their turrets and soldiers.
2015_02_22_171440.jpg

I am running out of things to research, but I can't start on developing the Siberite rocket without the data from Dr. Hugh Stevens we acquired in the 13th mission.

Theacherous scum! You are surrounded! Surrender now and I promise your deaths will be quick!
2015_02_22_171545.jpg

There is a sound, a slight distortion in the air, and suddenly Bobby Brandon vanishes right out of his vehicle as the machine comes to a stop.

What?

2015_02_22_171548.jpg

AA_Bobby.jpg
- My God, what happened?
AA_Peter.jpg
- Welcome to the Alliance camp.
AA_Cathy.jpg
- We took the liberty of demonstrating what we’ve been doing. You were transported using the Artefact that we’ve now restored.
AA_Peter.jpg
- I hope it's clear we’re not going to allow you to leave again. You can either join us, or be imprisoned by us.
AA_Bobby.jpg
- I don't care.
AA_Peter.jpg
- I'm glad you see where we’re coming from. Welcome to our ranks.

Bobby, no! Bobby, WTF? We were together since the first mission!

Some soldiers always accept. Most scientist do this - Peterson, or even Stevens all defect to the Alliance when asked. Some less than motivated people, like Lucy Donaldson (who isn't with us currently) or Lt. Brown defect as well.

Some never do. Macmillan (obviously), Joan, Andy Cornell, Lisa Lawson and Frank Forsyth don't. Surprisingly, the eternal complainer Cyrus Parker and the pacifistic Tim Gladstone (the guy who first arrived here and recruited the apes to our cause) never falter. Even more surprisingly, the mercenary Kurt does not defect either, citing that 'if he fights for peace then he will be out of a job'. :lol:

Naturally, we try to respond to this.

AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- Listen up! Alliance agents are using unknown technology to take our personnel. Be vigilant. They use partial invisibility, so they’re not easy to find. Use caution and don’t leave the base unless you have to. We have to sort this out ASAP. If we take Peter Roth prisoner that will go a long way.

But it is all useless. Our people vanish one after another in a matter of seconds.

AA_Frank.jpg
- What was that?
AA_Peter.jpg
- Welcome to the Alliance. We won't allow you to leave, of course. But we’ll allow you to join us.
2015_02_23_144439.jpg

AA_Pieter.jpg
- What happened to me?
AA_Peter.jpg
- Welcome to the Alliance. We won't allow you to leave, of course. But we’ll allow you to join us.

Sometimes even the mercenaries have some shed of a moral integrity.
2015_02_23_144455.jpg

In that case, they are tranquilized and held in a depot under guard.

AA_Pieter.jpg
- I’m not taking this.
AA_Peter.jpg
- Time for bye-byes then! Put him to sleep.

That makes me feel better, but only a little. I am still losing drivers at an alarming rate. I try to steer the last of my heavy gun vehicles away, but...
2015_02_23_144507.jpg

:rage::rage::rage:

We should have killed him when we could.

I ragequit.
Moral of the story - no tried and true tactics is safe from scripted events. Next time we'll see how the remote vehicles fare in these situations.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
So... why didn't you go full mortar on them?
On the Alliance?

Because mortarmen move on foot. And when they get close to one of the Alliance men stationed in the forest, they get kidnapped and transported to their base.

It is Shimazu brothers all over again, except they are after everyone and not just our women. :argh::argh::argh:

The only way I can see is to either use computer-controlled or remote-controlled vehicles, or construct an Arabian base nearby, and build mortarmen barracks to shell them from afar. Which might be a funny idea, if a bit time-consuming.

Nevill

Arcane
The only way I can see is to either use computer-controlled or remote-controlled vehicles, or construct an Arabian base nearby, and build mortarmen barracks to shell them from afar. Which might be a funny idea, if a bit time-consuming.
Actually, now that I think about it...
First things first, we will need Arabian barracks, which means we will have to use a mercenary. I will take Kurt since I know he does not defect.
2015_02_23_172247.jpg

Next, we will send him and a small utility team down south.
2015_02_23_172653.jpg

The building cranes will construct a depot. It does not matter which faction it belongs to.
2015_02_23_172821.jpg

Then Kurt will provide the blueprints for the building.
2015_02_23_173035.jpg

He does not need to finish the construction, only to start it. The cranes can handle the rest. Meanwhile, Kurt will hide in the depot.
2015_02_23_173315.jpg

With the barracks built and mortarmen in place, the bulldozer can start cutting open a path to the base.
2015_02_23_173742.jpg

Once I am noticed by the Allied troops, it is no longer safe for my soldiers to wander about.

It is hard to see behind the trees, but there are 3 soldiers there. Unfortunately, the bulldozer couldn't turn around in time and was severely damaged before it disengaged from combat.
2015_02_23_173831.jpg

And I can't repair it, because the moment I leave the barracks...
2015_02_23_174326.jpg

AA_Yamoto.jpg
- OK. I'll stay with you.

:argh::argh::argh:

The closer we get, the more they start sending after us. This time, it's the Russians.
2015_02_23_174411.jpg

My tanks may not be too effective against them, but mortars are just about right.
2015_02_23_174533.jpg

I knew the battle was won when they started sending medics after me.
2015_02_23_174859.jpg

After that, no more troops were coming my way. I figured it is time I stopped playing games and got serious.

At some point pink Russian forces took notice of what's happening and tried to attack my forces, sieging the Allied base instead of heading for my southern defences like they usually do. Don't know why that is, maybe they spawned too close to our positions or something.

The bulldozer opened a path to the base at the bottom. I sqeezed 4 of my remote-controlled heavy gun tanks through and started targetting the time-lapsers, because they were slowing me down to a crawl.
2015_02_23_175722.jpg

I also noticed that I am being shelled not only by rockets, but by mortar fire also. WTF is this, did the Arabs join the Alliance as well?
2015_02_23_175811.jpg

Turns out it was none other than the traitor, Yamoko Kikuchi, who left my side in full mortarman garb.

She was a good soldier, too, level 8 or so, so I feel each and every mortar shell. What I did was wait until she shoots, then move the targeted tank forward. Wait until she shoots again, then move it backwards. Primitive it may be, but it ensured I would only receive splash damage and avoid the worst of it.
2015_02_23_175955.jpg

Before long, the cluster of lapsers is destroyed and I regain my maneurability.
2015_02_23_180119.jpg

Whoa, so she was level 9. No wonder all of my tanks are smoking when they finally get to her.
2015_02_23_180324.jpg

The mop-up is fairly simple, though.
2015_02_23_180347.jpg

I make a dash for the warehouse to end this.
2015_02_23_180426.jpg

And that's the end of the Alliance.
2015_02_23_180633.jpg

You get a medal for capturing Roth instead of killing him, plus that way you don't have to kill everyone in the base. Unlike the Legion mercs, though, none of the Allied soldiers volunteer to our service.

You also get to free any soldiers they may have captured, but only those who refused to defect.
I will probably leave Roth's base be for a while. Maybe rough it up a little so it could be captured easily if we ever need this. I don't want to break anything by capturing him prematurely.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
So, what after this? Alliance missions or glorious Motherland?

Nevill

Arcane
Assuming I would still want to do this, probably the Motherland. The kitsch that is the Russian campaign needs to be seen to be believed.

2015_02_13_000800.jpg

2015_02_13_001049.jpg

2015_02_13_001118.jpg

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
While I am away from my gaming rig and can't update, have a look at how retarded medics can get at higher levels.

The footage is taken from American 14th mission.

Watch 49:50 - 50:50 and 52:15 - 53:15.

Keep in mind that the unit loses consciousness at red hitpoints and regains it at yellow.

Now imagine what it's like when they have soldiers with them.

Nevill

Arcane
Back to the mission.
I reloaded back to the beginning of the assault and cleared Roth's base defenses without losing our people to him. Interestingly enough, it turns out Macmillan can not be captured at all, even though there is a dialogue and a losing condition in the game resourses. Either there is a bug preventing it, or it was cut out of the game.

In other words, he is perfect for repairing my remote vehicles.

Without my soldiers to fight for them, the Alliance is an easy target. I have already covered how the assault goes, so I won't repeat it here.

One of the highlights, though, were pink Russian forces that decided to take a stroll through our positions. For some reason, they weren't immediately hostile. Probably another bug.
2015_02_28_231843.jpg

Once Peter's base was left defenseless, I sent my tanks back home. But then on the way there they have noticed this:
2015_02_28_233241.jpg

This wasn't here before! Apparently, the Russians have a teleporter (the structure from the 12th mission) and are using it to do some hit-and-runs. That they are employing this tactics suggests to me that there is no easy way into the Russian base. It might be blocked by a forest or some other obstacle. This does not bode well for us when we will inevitably try breaking inside.

At least these small diversion groups aren't a threat to my heavy hitters.
2015_02_28_233324.jpg

At exactly 32:00 Hugh Stevens arrives, bringing dire news.
2015_02_28_233855.jpg

AA_Hugh.jpg
- I have to speak with general Powell, quickly.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Powell’s dead, Hugh. I'm in command here now. What’s happening with you guys?
AA_Hugh.jpg
- Big problems. The Russians attacked our base. They hammered us, we lost a lot of men. They took everything...
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- The results? Did you destroy them?
AA_Hugh.jpg
- I'm sorry… We just got out with our lives...
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Shit! Now the Russians are back in the game.
AA_Hugh.jpg
- Their labs are working round the clock.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- We can't let them develop the bomb. If they have it before us, they won’t hesitate for a second.

So we are in a bit of a bind here. At least Hugh brough our old guard with him. All of them are our veteran soldiers: Peterson, Gladstone, Cornell, Forsyth, Lawson and Donaldson.
2015_02_28_233955.jpg

We don't have to rely on rookies and mercenaries anymore.

The vehicles they arrived in are extremely crappy with light chassis and weak machine guns, but I won't say no to free scrap.

With the data Hugh brought to the table we can finally start developing our ultimate weapon.
2015_02_28_234147.jpg

And while we are at it, I dismantle the gun extension in favor of a laser one. I have all the heavy guns I need already, but a double laser might prove useful.
2015_02_28_234401.jpg

Here is our scientific team charged with the Siberite weapon development. I am quite proud of the fact that I kept my best scientists alive.
2015_02_28_234652.jpg

For some reason the pink forces went silent lately. The only sightings of them was some machine gun vehicle that passed through our base without attacking. Weird.
2015_02_28_234757.jpg

We catch up with it real quick.
2015_02_28_234843.jpg

While the research is in progress, I have bulldozed past the forest to the east and put my radar vehicle there. For some reason there is an enemy Warehouse under the already existing and heavily fortified base.
2015_02_28_235410.jpg

I don't want to attract attention to myself, so I ignore it for the time being.

A few minutes later, this happens.
2015_02_28_235914.jpg

Yes, this is why I left him alive.

2015_02_28_235916.jpg

No I didn't! :argh:

AA_Roth.jpg
- To everybody. To all bases. This is Peter Roth, in the name of Alliance Earth.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- God. Peter, I’d forgotten he was there...
AA_Roth.jpg
- We have conclusive evidence that Siberite was left here by an extra-terrestrial civilisation. We’re mankind’s only representatives here. It’s our destiny to make contact. I plead with you all to end the fighting and join forces in researching the extra-terrestrial technologies, in a bid to discover how me might communicate with this other life form. We are...

2015_02_28_235941.jpg

Your subtitles say Major. :smug:

I can tell he is Powell's long lost brother.

Wait, what do you mean by 'Alaskite'? Isn't it 'Siberite'? Because it was found in, y'know, Siberia?

AA_Platonov.jpg
- Shut up Roth. This is general Platonov. The Alaskite deposits are the property of Soviet Union and that is how they will stay!
AA_Roth.jpg
- This is your last chance. Try to think...
AA_Platonov.jpg
- No! You American bastard, I will not listen to the cunning words of the usurpers! We demand unconditional surrender of all forces.
AA_Roth.jpg
- John Macmillan. I hear you’re commander of the US forces these days. What do you say?

Choice time!
2015_03_01_000014.jpg

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
"Interestingly enough, it turns out Macmillan can not be captured at all, even though there is a dialogue and a losing condition in the game resourses. Either there is a bug preventing it, or it was cut out of the game."

Had to be patched or it bugged out for you, because I remember losing because of it.

Choose "it's too late for peace".

Nevill

Arcane
Sure.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- I'm sorry, Peter, but things went too far.
AA_Roth.jpg
- John, these Artefacts are incredible! We are making huge progress in the research, the results are incredible.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- You've heard the Russians, even if I went along with it...
AA_Roth.jpg
- Listen, John! Siberite is more than just a power source. We found an Artefact that can transport a group of people at a giant distance, this is down to the Siberite...
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Peter....
AA_Roth.jpg
- Just listen, you asshole! You mustn't use the Siberite rocket against the Russians. Have you got that? They’re sitting right on top of a primary Siberite deposit. An explosion would kick start a chain reaction!
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Meaning what?
AA_Roth.jpg
- Meaning irreversible damage to the ecosphere and the probable end of all life on Earth. You can not drop that bomb on the motherlode!
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- You’re not going to scare me out of this, Peter. I’ve got a job to do. Over and out.
AA_Roth.jpg
- I'll not let you do it, John. Even if I have to persuade each soldier personally, I'll end this senseless war!
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- (to himself) And you could probably succeed. (aloud) Listen up. We have to neutralize the Alliance leader Peter Roth, try not to kill him if you can, but if you can’t avoid it, just do what you have to.

It appears I have broken the game yet again. And I even found the reason why.

Normally, when the Alliance men see my soldiers, they try to steal them. When they do it, the game changes the Russian faction to become non-hostile for a moment. I assume that was done so that they wouldn't kill someone important while the game is showing us a cutscene of Peter Roth and the captured soldier. After the cutscene they switch back to normal.

The introduction of the Arabian Barracks made the game bug out (thanks for the idea, Havoc ;)). It sees our men, but it can't get them out of the building. So the script triggering the cutscene starts, but never proceeds past a certain point.

What that means is that now all the Russian forces are marked as allies. They do not open fire on me even when I attack them, their time-lapsers no longer affect my units, and their engineers crawl out of their demolished factories and try to repair my tanks. I can just ride inside of their base, destroy their Siberite Rocket (yes, spoiler alert, they already have one) and kill everyone as they smile at me, winning the game.

Not exactly what I had in mind for this mission.

So the game needs my soldiers to come out of the Barracks to execute the script without errors and proceed normally. More importantly, the script will capture them in the order they were seen, so the game will ignore all of my soldiers until Yamoko Kikuchi, specifically, leaves the safety of the building. That is the reason for Macmillan's apparent invulnerability - it just wasn't his turn.

I will need to sacrifice her to resolve the bug. Sad. :(

Once all of my mortarmen leave the fortifications and are captured, the rest of the game works mostly as intended.
2015_03_01_022520.jpg

2015_03_01_022533.jpg

But that also means that until Kikuchi abandons her hiding place, the Alliance can't do anything about the rest of my men, so I can deal with them at my leisure with no fear of interruptions. :troll:
2015_03_01_024648.jpg

I have entered the base and crippled their static defences. Without a mortarman to fight for them, the Alliance is a pushover. Only then I let Kikuchi leave. Her career in the Alliance was a bit on the short side. That's her body lying above Cathy Simms.

She is still alive, as I hoped to get her to a medic before she expires.

Then I just waltzed in with my rocket tank and drove straight to their Warehouse to capture it.
2015_03_01_024841.jpg

Funnily, no one captures Roth and takes him away. He and his scientists just pack and leave.

All these scientists, and they leave the traitor soldier who pledged their loyalty to them to bleed out on the steps of the Lab. That's the Alliance for you, folks. :rpgcodex:

It is also funny that all of this happened before the official announcement of the Allied presence. At 35:00 Peter still have contacted the conflicting sides as if nothing happened.
2015_03_01_030826.jpg

I knew we shouldn't have let him go! :argh::lol:

The game does not recognize the objective to capture Roth as accomplished, it still tries to kidnap my soldiers to a cause that no longer exists, and if I repair the Allied lapser turrets, they slow down my units even though I am their owner. Even Russian ones never did that!

I guess I just have a talent for breaking stuff.

At least I can now consider this chapter to be over with for a low low price of having Kurt permanently stuck in the armory because he is next on the list of scripted targets. :lol:

As an aside, I wondered what happens if you kill Roth before he makes his grand entrance.
2015_03_01_013725.jpg

Sure enough, the game didn't account for that possibility and still tries to force the narrative on the player. Except since the actor is dead, it skips over all of Peter's lines, resulting in Macmillan talking to a ghost of a person he murdered.

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- I'm sorry, Peter, but things went too far.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- You've heard the Russians, even if I went along with it...
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Peter....
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- You’re not going to scare me out of this, Peter. I’ve got a job to do. Over and out.

Ah, the drama of a pre-historic Macbeth! :lol:
We will persevere and try to finish the game even if it devolves into an incomprehensible and buggy mess! :salute:

There is an alien building sitting at the center of Roth's base, to the right of the Lab, but we will not learn of it's significance in this campaign, as we have foregone the studying of Alien artefacts in favor of our mission.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
The mission is done. All that is left is to type everything out.
After dealing with the Alliance, I position my forces across the spot the Russians use to teleport their troops to. With 2 double laser tanks parked right next to it, and with 5 heavy guns pointed their direction, enemy vehicles are destroyed instantly upon arrival.
2015_03_01_025448.jpg

I have an excess of crates, so I build some more double lasers to hopefully cover all my defensive needs.
2015_03_01_132151.jpg

At about 40 minutes my scientists inform me that they have finished the research on Siberite fission. Time to get serious.
2015_03_01_132526.jpg

So what if we can't use them? We can use them for deterrence, if for nothing else.

Double lasers on patrol duty. More like quadruple laser. Whoever teleports here is fucked.
2015_03_01_132752.jpg

Like so.
2015_03_01_134633.jpg

Even the heaviest of vehicles are destroyed in one salvo. :salute:

I also order a construction of another depot in a clearing that my bulldozer has made in the forest. I am quite taken with the method we used to capture the Alliance base. Mortarmen are like ninja-pirates - everything is better with them.

At exactly 43:20 I produce my first Siberite rocket tank.
2015_03_01_135149.jpg

I remember that in the 13th mission it took forever to build one. Well, that is probably because I didn't have many 10 lvl mechanics by then. With a bit of shuffling people around, I got all of my high-level veterans and mercenaries working on it, and then on two more. The effectiveness of my remote vehicles drops as the less experienced drivers take seats, but I have this covered by virtue of excessive firepower.

Hmmm. Just for lulz.
2015_03_01_135605.jpg

2015_03_01_135614.jpg

2015_03_01_135643.jpg

2015_03_01_135645.jpg

2015_03_01_135646.jpg

2015_03_01_135649.jpg

2015_03_01_135703.jpg

Figures. :M

Construction of the sixth base proceeds as planned. The armory is just outside the vision of the turrets, but well within their firing range.
2015_03_01_135242.jpg

Meanwhile, I also construct the Arabian Lab and specialize it in Biotechnology. One of the reseach topics allows me to see locations of any living unit on the map. Neat!

At 45:00 our 'friend' reports in with another disturbing news.
2015_03_01_140307.jpg

AAA_Friend_Direct.jpg
- Sir, we’ve picked up a Russian broadcast, we think you ought to hear what they said.
AA_Platonov.jpg
- (very noisy signal)… superiority in convention armaments. I hope it is clear that the whole project is top secret.
AA_Kovalchuk.jpg
- (very noisy signal) We kept an eye on the terrain when we were choosing the location of the base, comrade. The chassis is too heavy, we can't climb steep slopes.
AA_Platonov.jpg
- This does not relieve you of the responsibility for secrecy of the project until… (noise)… increase in firepower… (noise) …confirm…
AAA_Friend_Direct.jpg
- This is all we have, sir.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Not enough to help us, but enough to get us worried! Sounds like they have something up their sleeves, we better be ready for the bastards when they arrive.

Immediately my biodetection tech informs me about several units approaching. They are all mechanics, highly experienced ones at that, and they are heading...
2015_03_01_140557.jpg

... right to where my armory stands. :troll:

They are starting construction of something big and Macmillan freaks out, probably because I broke yet another script.
2015_03_01_140608.jpg

They were supposed to build four of them, but my armory is in the way, so the last mechanic just stands there, doing nothing.
2015_03_01_140638.jpg

Well, not exactly 'nothing'. They provide vision for the turrets just by being there. This needs to stop, quickly.

These things they are building are special computer controlled tanks that have to be assembled in the open because they do not fit into a factory. Despite their monstrous size and a scary name ('Behemoth'), they are very vulnerable during construction.
2015_03_01_140749.jpg

My mortarmen deal with them quite nicely as I bring my heavy tanks to demolish the Warehouse and put an end to this not-so-secret-anymore project before it could even begin.
2015_03_01_141229.jpg

I see a number of red dots approaching from the north. They are soldiers.

The Russians go all out on this counter-attack, sending tanks directly to me instead of by teleporter, which I was not prepared for. Still, quadruple lasers remotely driven by experts make short work of anything that is caught between them.
2015_03_01_141332.jpg

The soldiers keep arriving. There are about 10 of them, if not more.
2015_03_01_141424.jpg

But a welcoming committee of four heavy tanks does not let many of them through.
2015_03_01_141608.jpg

Some of the soldiers are highly experienced, but some are clearly drafted from scientists and engineers, having no fighting skills whatsoever. Once the higher threats are neutralized, the rest fall quickly, and the turrets are left without meaningful fire support.
2015_03_01_142255.jpg

Sadly, there is no way for my tanks to get in from this side - the passage is only suitable for infantry to pass.

Here is the aftermath of the slaughter.
2015_03_01_142818.jpg

Hmmm. Infantry, you say? Maybe our mortarmen can sqeeze through and do what tanks could not.

When this is the people they use to defend themselves, you know they have lost.
2015_03_01_143519.jpg

I have moved my radar vehicle forward to get vision on the base and noticed the Alaskite rocket launcher sitting not far from the ridge. Maybe I can get to it...

The attack method is simple. The mortarmen slowly and methodically level down the base. The medics (all of which are max level) take care so that the infantry does not die. It is not that hard, considering how overpowered the medics get when you get enough of them together.
2015_03_01_143846.jpg

With the turrets out of the picture I can finally attack the Siberite rocket launcher.
2015_03_01_144152.jpg

Success!

Sometimes when the Russians are losing, they will fire the rocket to get back at you. They probably didn't think they have lost yet, and it is too late for them now.

At 50:00, while fighting is still going strong, I am contacted by Major/General/Whatever Platonov.
2015_03_01_144326.jpg

AA_Platonov.jpg
- You are finished, Yankee dogs. We have Alaskite bomb now! This is your last chance to surrender, otherwise we detonate.

That was the case half a minute ago, Major Slowpoke. You might want to re-check your Siberite bomber privilege. :troll:

Also, we have three of those by now. it is hardly a rarity nowadays.
2015_03_01_144739.jpg

I guess we will think about it. :lol:

AA_Macmillan_Mortar.jpg
- This no easy choice, to die with honour or live without. Give me 5 minutes to think it over.
AA_Platonov.jpg
- There’s not that much you can think about. I give you 3 minutes. That is all.

What to do, what to do...

I know. Why don't we give these guys a bit of a leg-up?

They no longer have the rocket, right? To make things fair, we should get rid of ours.

One.
2015_03_01_145246.jpg

Two.
2015_03_01_145247.jpg

Three.
2015_03_01_145249.jpg

Don't let the future historians say I won this with some cheap trick. :rpgcodex:

We proceed farther inside the base, encountering all sorts of resistance, from gatling tanks and turrets to stray engineers.
2015_03_01_145518.jpg

Things get a bit dicey as my medics are greatly slowed down by the time lapsers, and I find myself right in the center of the Russian base, which means I am getting fired upon from every direction. I have to order my soldiers to use their personal invisibility devices and vanish out of turrets' sight to heal up before continuing with the assault. That's when the timer runs out.
2015_03_01_150106.jpg

Well, let's tell him that we have as many rockets as they do and they can't scare us into submission!
2015_03_01_150129.jpg

AA_Macmillan_Mortar.jpg
- Thanks, comrade. Let me tell you what I was thinking about. You’re not the only one with the bomb. We weren’t going to use it but hell, you fire at us and then why not? We got a chance we’ll get out alive, but you’re sitting on a pile of Siberite, buddy, if the bomb don’t get you the chain reaction will!
AA_Platonov.jpg
- I will verify what you say, Macmillan. But I am sure you lie, and that will be the end of it all.

There is some strange activity back at out base.
2015_03_01_150144.jpg

AA_Macmillan_Mortar.jpg
- Where are you going, 'friend'?
AAA_Friend_Direct.jpg
- Russians have the bomb, we are all going to die here!
AA_Macmillan_Mortar.jpg
- You can’t outrun it, buddy. Stay right where you are, if we die, we die together.

That's the spirit! You tell him, Macmillan! :salute:

Exactly one minute later...
2015_03_01_150833.jpg

AA_Platonov.jpg
- You are a liar, John Macmillan, my intelligence confirms you have no bomb. Time has run out. Prepare to die!
Stevens.jpg
- How the hell did he know we were bluffing?

Three guesses. :roll:

AA_Macmillan_Mortar.jpg
- Let’s ask our "friend". He was about to get away, weren’t you, ‘buddy’?
AAA_Friend_Direct.jpg
- I wouldn't… you can't think… Please!!!!

AAAAAZIIIIRAAAAAA!!! :x:x:x

AA_Macmillan_Mortar.jpg
- God have mercy on us.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom