Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Original War

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Go with C first and check out how that goes ;-)

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've been a bit busy lately, so updates are going to be a bit scarce.

But we can explore the results of our decision pretty quickly.
Sure enough, there is another ford down south.
2014_11_22_144600.jpg

And sure enough, we are expected here.
2014_11_22_144330.jpg

After about 5 seconds, Macmillan is the last man standing.
2014_11_22_144407.jpg

He even blows up one of their tanks!
2014_11_22_144432.jpg

But that does not last too long.
2014_11_22_144502.jpg

Well, that was quick.

Alright, maybe subtlety will work where brute force did not. We put Macmillan into a crawling position, send him past the Russian forces, and order Andy to draw the attention of the enemy tanks. Just like the last time.
2014_11_22_144858.jpg

And we succeed in sneaking past them!
2014_11_22_144921.jpg

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- We’ve got a bridge here. But the cars can’t get through.
Donaldson_small.jpg
- I’d be cautious sir. The mercenaries are experts at mining these things.

Wait, what mercenaries? :?

Nevermind, now that we are behind the Russian defences and the enemy tanks can't catch up with us, maybe we can go inside guns blazing, Rambo-style. The lab was supposed to be unprotected, right?

Nope!
2014_11_22_145108.jpg

Alright, time to plan B. Or is it D already? I order all of my soldiers to sneak past the tanks.
2014_11_22_145807.jpg

That patch of land amidst the fog of war? That's where the bazookas were sighted. Let's take them out, then we can cross the first ford as we have initially planned.

I crawl for as far as trees allow me, then get on my feet and CHAAAARGE.
2014_11_22_145928.jpg

They pack a heavy punch, but we take them by surprize, and they can't shoot at point blank range, which we use to our advantage by mixing with them and forcing them to scatter. Unfortunately, the bastards have a medic with them, and we take heavy casualties before we can wrestle the situation back under our control.
2014_11_22_150051.jpg

We try to keep the point-blank distance. That way, if some men who did get away from us shoot back at us, they will be hurting their own people as well. In the end, Macnillan is the last man standing on our side. He finishes off the strays and confronts the last Russian survivor.
2014_11_22_150207.jpg

It is a Pyrric victory, but a victory nonetheless.
2014_11_22_150241.jpg

(I did not even know you could do it that way)

Our men did not die in vain. Now we can proceed with the base assault.
2014_11_22_150759.jpg

Let's go avenge our comrades!!

NOPE.
2014_11_22_151130.jpg

NOPE.
2014_11_22_151146.jpg

:rage:

Fuck this mission. Next time I'll do the smart thing and request Powell to forget about this whole stupid idea.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Ha! Hahahaha!
While an attack on 6 bazookas and 1 medic with only 4 soldiers seems suicidal, I have devised another plan. A two-pronged assault with vehicles coming from the ford and soldiers coming from behind might prove more productive.
2014_11_22_160026.jpg

Now, this looks easy, right? IT IS FUCKING NOT! The bazookas keep slowing time and teleporting my tanks around, which leaves those pretty much ineffective as fire support. All they are is a decoy soaking up some missiles that could have gone to my men instead. It is hard to keep everyone alive, but an unlucky shot from the Russians teleports my tank right underneath them, and the rest is history. But just as we were about to celebrate victory...
2014_11_22_161100.jpg

Peterson_small.jpg
- Oh God, sir, it is the Russians.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Shit! How did they get there?

Now, THAT is just bullshit, game. :rpgcodex:
2014_11_22_161144.jpg

*sigh*. Load game. Again.

We take over the ford, now ensuring that all of our units end up on one side of the river once everything is over. Hopefully, the Russians won't follow us here.
2014_11_22_162442.jpg

I intend to sneak our soldiers past them and attempt a direct assault one more time.
2014_11_22_162550.jpg

But what's this?
2014_11_22_162941.jpg

Hey, isn't that a bit unfair? We've just broken their bazooka forces and crossed the river! What do you mean, 'we don't have sufficient firepower?'
I've saved the game here in case we ever want to do this the conventional way, and continued without pussying out and asking for reinforcements.
We proceed towards the east. I know there are Russian tanks right on top of me, but the trees keep me well-hidden from their view. The whole area is sparkling, suggesting that there is a time-distortion device nearby.
2014_11_22_170612.jpg

We find the enemies quickly, and even lose one of our tanks to them right away.
2014_11_22_170926.jpg

Still, they are constraining each other's movements, and they aren't smart enough to shoot their own tanks. Before long, they all fall to our hit and run tactics.
2014_11_22_165728.jpg

There is the time-warping tank. Or the 'time lapser', as the game calls it. A pity we can't capture it, since it is computer controlled.
2014_11_22_165941.jpg

So, we have got ourselves 2 heavy gun tanks, 1 tank with a double-barreled gun, and a heavy gatling tank. Things are looking up.

Last edited:

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Now commence operation butt rape! You will find a convinient path for your foot troops Im sure of it.

lightbane

Arcane
Intelligence: I think the game is trying to "subtly" encourage you to call for reinforcements. Do that then, if only to piss off Powell.

Nevill

Arcane
Intelligence: I think the game is trying to "subtly" encourage you to call for reinforcements. Do that then, if only to piss off Powell.
The mission is already done. All that is left is to type the update up.

You are supposed to call for reinforcements, then build a base, and prepare an actual attack force. The first supply convoy Powell sends you has two more tanks, two cargo trucks worth of resourses, and 4 more people, one of which is an engineer. And there are supposed to be several convoys.

But we do not seek easy ways! :rpgcodex:

Honestly, until today I didn't know it was possible to complete the mission with just the units you have at the beginning. As a result, I missed on the encounter with the mercenaries, which the game erroneously referred, thinking no one would be mad enough to crawl past the southern tanks with the starting forces (and thus assuming that we have met some people we didn't). :cool:

But hey, it would not be the first time breaking game scripts for me. :)

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Wow, this game seems to have pretty good plot and depth in missions. Damn shame it's a relic of the past.
It is a good thing that it is a relic of the past. It did not lose anything since it was released, except for bugs (it is still being patched up to this day). It is as enjoyable now as it was back in 2001.

If the game was made now, the relationship subplot between Macmillan and Fergusson would have been made into a full-blown romance. With Daniel Peterson as an alternative passion for those inclined that way. And an apewoman to uphold the political correctness and to represent the Cenozoic-Americans properly. :negative:

The gaming paradigm has shifted considerably over the last 20 years, as well as people's understanding of what is and isn't appropriate in a game.

Anyway, back to the mission.
With our newly acquired vehicles, we try our hand at breaking the Russian defences once more. We return to the center of the map...
2014_11_22_172446.jpg

...and order an assault...
2014_11_22_172548.jpg

...which is easier said than done, considering the following factors:

- I only have two mechanics, and I have no facilities to allow my other soldiers to change professions.
- My best mechanic is Frank Forsyth, and he only has 6 levels, giving him 12 ranks in driving. Andy Cornell only has 5 levels of mechanic under his belt.
- The rest of my men have from 5 to 7 levels in mechanical skills, but as they are of different profession, their rank is equal to their level.
- Meanwhile the Russians have troops ranging from 8th to 10th level, specialized for their tasks, which gives them 16 to 20 ranks in whatever they are doing.

All of that results in Russian vehicles tearing holes in our armor despite our numerical advantage. Remember that gatling tank we lost to the two of their heavy gun ones? Three to four shots from those, and I have to withdraw unless I want my drivers fried alive. And there is precious little space for maneuver to turn the vehicles around. I can't fight their tanks where the turrets manned by 10th level soldiers can support them, so I actively try to lure them out. It results in a strange positioning war:
2014_11_22_172718.jpg

Where both we and the Russians have sort of a truce while we repair our respective vehicles before the next round of combat commences. :lol:

A few of these back-and-forth exchanges, and they lose one of their mechanics (which is good, tanks can be replenished, people can not), and we succeed in destroying one of their turrets. But we lose our heavy gatling tank in the process.
2014_11_22_173243.jpg

Thankfully, so do they. Once their lighter tanks are in the open, they are easy pickings for our combined force.
2014_11_22_173501.jpg

Unfortunately, Daniel Peterson, our scientist and medic, sustains a heavy injury, and there is no one around to heal him. I will have to be careful with him from now on.

That heavy tank we first encountered when we got to this base? I left it stay, not only because I wanted to restrict the enemy movements, but also because I wanted another siege weapon for myself. With the enemy numbers halved, I can bring my own mechanic over and fix the tank while hiding from the turret behind its massive frame. The line of sight algorithm supports these kinds of moves. :P
2014_11_22_173958.jpg

Needless to say, on my next assault attempt I climb right inside it while the turret is distracted.
2014_11_22_174147.jpg

The mop-up is slow, but inevitable. All the while I am clearing the place I keep hearing shifting noises. Like the ones we've heard when the space distorted and a damaged enemy tank jumped away right from under our noses.
2014_11_22_174333.jpg

Donaldson_small.jpg
- Sir, here they come again!
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- What happened? Anybody!?
Cyrus_small.jpg
- They just appeared sir. As if they were teleported.
Donaldson_small.jpg
- It’s hardly surprising, we used Siberite to travel 2 million years, they’re just moving a few metres in space.

But... I don't see anything. What? Where? The only thing that I see is a huge rocket tank firing from behind the fog-of-war.
2014_11_22_174358.jpg

Is that... a Siberite Rocket?

Goodbye, cruel world. :salute:

Wait, that's just a rocket tank with a Siberite engine. For a moment there, I was scared, since I never saw this model before. Still, even though it is no Doomsday weapon, it hurts like a bitch, and we are too far away to do anything about it. We order a retreat for now.

When we advance after a minute (capturing another nice little double-barreled gun tank from the Russians), something else catches our attention.
2014_11_22_174832.jpg

Donaldson_small.jpg
- Sir, there’s some weird technology over there, what should we do about it?
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Don’t fire at it. I want to get a look at it later.

We move deeper inside the base, but strangely enough, the rocket vehicle is gone without a trace. Hmmm...
2014_11_22_174930.jpg

Instead we find a factory that produced it, and is producing another even now. We put a swift stop to that and trash the rest of the base while we are at it.
2014_11_22_175007.jpg

But the lab is not there. We must have got the wrong base. Oh, well...

We decide to put the unfamiliar structure aside for now and concentrate on the mission. We return to the center of the map to find that the enemy position to the east is even more heavily defended than the one we've just cleared.
2014_11_22_175741.jpg

Worse yet, it is supported by time lapser turrets that make a direct assault a difficult and dangerous task. It is hard to retreat or evade shots when you are moving at a speed of a turtle.

In a back-and-forth dance, we wreck what we can, but we hit a stone wall in a form of a heavy gun turret coupled with a time lapser turret, and backed by several tanks.
2014_11_22_175915.jpg

We won't pass here.

Well, there is the last direction of assault I have not yet tried. It is from the north-eastern corner.
2014_11_22_181458.jpg

It is here that I came to realize my mistakes with vehicle management. All of the heavy Russian vehicles are wheeled, and can't get over the steep slope.

Only their small double-barreled tank and my gatling computer tank (which survived only because of its complete uselessness in battle) could pass through there. Meaning I will have to do this without my heavy artillery support. If only I have kept my starting American vehicles...

Unfortunately, we'll have to manage this one with infantry.

Warning! Putin inside!!
2014_11_22_181550.jpg

The gatling tank draws fire while my men fire at will. Thankfully, Russians have run out of aces and their drivers are only mediocre.

2014_11_22_181828.jpg

A few skirmishes later, their defences are broken.
2014_11_22_182217.jpg

Finally, the target is in sight!
2014_11_22_182400.jpg

It is almost over! Let's get to slaughtering the civilians - in the name of the future of the higher human race, of course.
2014_11_22_182451.jpg

Where would they escape? There are four soldiers and two tanks waiting for them at the base exit.

OHSHI~!

They are heading for the passage behind the trees! Quick, Frank, abandon your tank and hold them off while I call the soldiers over!
2014_11_22_182741.jpg

They nearly got me there. If I didn't move that tank where I did, I would have failed Powell quite spectacularly. Frank barely managed to outpace the Russians and promply plugged the passage with his ass.
2014_11_22_182803.jpg

There is no escape for them now.
2014_11_22_182813.jpg

The lab blows up mere seconds later.
2014_11_22_182843.jpg

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Alpha, we destroyed the Russian siberite research lab. None of its personnel survived.
Powell_over_radio_small.jpg
- They’ll not find it easy starting again with no scientists. Excellent work John.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- We found some records on one of the bodies sir. Our scientists are gonna have a field day.
- Congratulations, John. Finally we’re catching up with the Russians!
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Sir, there’s also mention here of a primary Siberite deposit.
- The Legion contacted me about it too, trying to deal in exchange for the grid reference. Bring those records and get back here as fast as you can.

Now, I assume that you are trying to wrap your head over who the hell are the Legion. It is a part of the content we've missed by bravely hitting a brick wall with our heads and breaking it along with the flow of the game.
Cyrus_small.jpg
- The Arabs are hitting us from behind, sir!
Kurt.jpg
- Calm down! I am all alone here... and I don't want fight, I want to negotiate.

I don't know if you recognize Kurt Schimdt, but this is the guy that appeared in the 6th mission, the space traveling nazi with a hilarious monobrow.

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- What’s going on?
Kurt.jpg
- You probably don't remember me, Macmillan, but I recall you well. You and your people spared my life, when I appeared here. A decision you probably regret!
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- If I’d known the trouble you’d cause I’d have put a bullet through your head. I still can.
Kurt.jpg
- I no longer fight for Arab Sheikhs, I am part of Legion, we are mercenaries who fight for anyone who pays.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- So what’s new?
Kurt.jpg
- Right now Russians pay us, to attack you. You will not live if we do what they ask, but... you save my life Macmillan, so I give you chance. You pay us and we will stay out of the battle.

For 60 crystals of Siberite and 60 crates the Legion will not attack you, for 120 crystals of Siberite and 120 crates it will help you.
- Reject all offers.
- Pay 60 crystals of Siberite and 60 crates for neutrality.
- Pay 120 crystals of Siberite and 120 crates for help.
- We haven’t the resources to pay for this.

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- We haven’t got what you’re asking for.
Kurt.jpg
- Then maybe we do you very special price. You give us information, we not fight anyway.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- What information?
Kurt.jpg
- Tell us location of primary deposit of the Siberite. This would make it worth our while.

The mercenaries’ commander wants to know the location of the "primary deposit of Siberite". What's your reaction?
- Refuse to tell him.
- Say you know nothing about it.
- Invent a location.

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- OK. You’d find out one day. It’s in the mountain caves in the Russian territory, about 8 miles to the southwest from base Alpha.
Kurt.jpg
- Are you sure?
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Of course.
Kurt.jpg
- Good. Then Russians get no help from us.

These guys are supposed to mine the passages that lead to the Russian bazookas and reinforce them, making our lives that much more difficult. Thankfully, we killed those in the first five minutes of the game. :P

Mission Accomplished.
2014_11_22_182919.jpg

Unfortunately, we didn't get the third achievement. Why, you'd ask? Well... let's find out.

We take a closer look at the structure. It is still working. Without any other bright ideas on what to do with it, we drive a tank through the big arch. We hear a shifting sound, and the space distorts around it.
2014_11_22_225248.jpg

Peterson_small.jpg
- It’s gone, sir… whoever goes through this arch just disappears.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- I think I know, where it goes. Remember those cars that used to appear at our base.

Wait, what base? Nevermind that, you are telling me that those sounds we've heard through the whole mission every two minutes were..?
2014_11_22_181215.jpg

Yes. Yes, they were.

The mission took us a long time. The space from here to the map corner is probably filled with tanks by now.

Nope, we will have to make do without that achievement, thank you very much.

Our team:
2014_11_22_183504.jpg

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Mission 13. Original Cold War.

Interlude.
2014_11_22_184119.jpg

Base Gamma; March 25, ERA + 2
While Macmillan returned to Epsilon base, Powell submitted the acquired Siberite data to the chief of research, Hugh Stevens, for processing.

2014_11_22_184121.jpg

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- General this is Macmillan calling from Epsilon. What did Stevens make of the data?
- It’s not good John. Looks like the Russians were one step from constructing a Siberite bomb. We can’t relax till our scientists are ahead. And we’ll need to pursue the primary siberite deposit. If we could secure that it would slow the Russians down.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Have we got a location?
- Not a precise one, but I’m going to take a strong unit to the area, track it down and take it. You’ll oversee the development of our own Siberite rocket with Hugh leading the scientists.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- (dubious) You want us to do it from here? Legion are pretty much on top of us.
- You’re right John. At nightfall I want you to head West, to the edge of the desert and complete the research there, including a test explosion. And keep an eye on Stevens. The enemy know how much we need him, if they can take him out they will.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- I’ll stick right by him sir.
- Thanks John. Good luck.

2014_11_22_184606.jpg

Northern Wastes; March 27, ERA + 2
The race is on to develop the Siberite bomb. Hopefully, the Americans will never have to use it; if nuclear deterrent worked in 20th century, it could work here as well.

Alright... I've decided to do things a bit differently and offer a choice where there was none before.

So, who do we take with us?
2014_11_22_184220.jpg

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Scientists are easy, you only have to possible choices for the mandatory pics... Gladstone and Peterson.
For an engineer, I vote Brown. Same reasoning. He's the only possible choice.

Then you're left with the possibility of choosing between 1 and 3 more characters. I'd say Forsyth and Lawson. They seem solid.
Last possible spot? Undecided. Does the game penalise you if you bring the maximum or minimum amount of units? Or is that a spoiler?

Nevill

Arcane
Scientists are easy, you only have to possible choices for the mandatory pics... Gladstone and Peterson.
For an engineer, I vote Brown. Same reasoning. He's the only possible choice.
Don't forget that we can change their professions to whatever we want to right on the team selection screen. The ones on the right panel keep their occupations from the last mission we saw them in. That is the only reason Irving Lyon is a soldier, even though he is only half as good at it as he is good at science.

We can turn Macmillan into a scientist (he is pretty good at it, too), and free another slot.
Sorry, I just checked, you can't change professions of fixed units (the ones on the upper part of the screen). So Macmillan is always a soldiers for this mission, and Hugh is always a scientist.

The rest are a different matter, though. Brown is a good engineer, but Peterson could serve as one, too, if one wants to leave Brown out. The game is pretty flexible about it.

You can assign people who are nearly illiterate (with 0 science skill) as scientists, if that is what you want to do.

Last possible spot? Undecided. Does the game penalise you if you bring the maximum or minimum amount of units? Or is that a spoiler?
I don't know myself. The exp you get seems a constant, from what I can tell. :)

One thing I've noticed is that while you decide how to develop your companions during the mission, the game decides by itself how to develop the ones you leave out. I did not keep track which ones are gaining exp faster, though logic would suggest that it should be the ones you take with you.

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
In that case it's pretty simple. I'd go for max cheese. Choose the maximum amount of characters possible, and choose the ones with the highest aptitudes.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Farsyth Lawson Brandon Cornell Gladstone Peterson. These people should do good I think.
This mission will be... fun.

Nevill

Arcane
No. But this mission is a pain in the ass (yes, I failed my initial attempt) and I am in the process of making a summary for Myth. I will get back to it... eventually.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
As I said difficulty level rises expotentialy in this game +M

Its not a difficulty curve its a difficulty cliff.

Nevill

Arcane
Eh, the Russian campaign is way scarier than anything American missions can throw at you. That you don't have the luxury of remote vehicles or sophisticated weaponry like double lasers does not help, either.

It is not that hard. Sometimes, though, you need to know the mission beforehand, as a scripted event can catch you off-guard.

I promise I will have the update by the next week.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Well cheesing the game helps A LOT. But for a unsuspecting guy the game can throw some curveballs.

Nevill

Arcane
All right, I think that was enough procrastination, and I kind of promised, so...
Here is the team I chose for the task. All are solid soldiers - the perks of not losing veterans during the campaign, I guess.
2014_12_10_205925.jpg

We arrive to the site with a group of 4 Double Gun tanks, 2 Gatling Gun ones, and 2 Cargo Trucks loaded with crates. All vehicles are Siberite-powered.
2014_12_10_210049.jpg

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- According to the map it’s right here.
Stevens.jpg
- (climbs out of the car) We should find a Siberite deposit and construct our base beside it.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- It’s gonna take more space than that. We don’t just need a lab, it’s going to take a serious power plant.

New objectives received:
- Construct a Siberite rocket.
New Secondary objectives received:
- Protect Hugh Stevens.

All right, Hugh, you are calling the shots here. I send out Tim Gradsone to scout the north for Siberite while the rest of our group search for an appropriate location for the base. Tim reports almost immediately.
2014_12_10_210146.jpg

And soon after that, so does Stevens.
2014_12_10_210216.jpg

Guess that settles it. The second deposit in on a plateau, so we will set up our camp nearby.
2014_12_10_210413.jpg

We will be out of range of the northern deposit, but we might be able to expand there later. Or so I thought.

(Also, I never previously drew attention to this fact, but notice the grass. It is normally tall and light green, but it becomes flattened and darker in color when a tank passes by. It regenerates after a while, though. It might help an observant commander determine if the enemy forces have been in the location recently. Also, move the tanks back and forth enough times, and the grass will stop growing. It is little details like these that make this game so compelling to play)

We construct the Depot while I sent Tim and Hugh, our only scientists, away to rectuit some helpers for more mundane tasks.
2014_12_10_210633.jpg

We currently have the whole map to ourselves, but it won't be for long, so Armory is the first thing to be built at the base, followed shortly by a Lab and a Siberite Mine.
2014_12_10_211043.jpg

Tim brings in another volunteer. The crate supplies are running a bit low, so we build a Workshop to dismantle some of our vehicles. I don't see any oil around, which means I will have to rely on solar power for a while until I can accumulate enough Siberite. I have forgotten when I last had to build it.
2014_12_10_212020.jpg

We specialize our Lab in Optics. I want to see all newly arrived crates on the map, so I put all of my research team to work on Materialization Detection. The power produced by a single solar plant is enough for that, though just barely.

The research in this game is somewhat strange. Some technologies persist between the missions, and some don't. I was not able to establish a pattern.

The passageways to the east look suspicuious. I plug them with a tank and a bunker to prevent potential surprises later.
2014_12_10_212341.jpg

I am hopelessly understaffed, but I have to make do with what I have. I put the monkeys into defensive structures to serve as scouts, and the Lab is right next to the Armory in case of emergencies. Also, I finally manage to produce enough Siberite for a Siberite power plant - a much better investment than the solar one, - and upgrade the Lab one more time to specialize in the weapons research. We came here for the big guns, after all.
2014_12_10_212708.jpg

As with all good things, this idyll does not last.
- Powell calling Macmillan.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- I read you General.
- Listen up John, somehow Legion know you’re there and they know why. You better get ready, they’re trying to sell the info to the Russians right now.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Great. Any better news!?
- This group of Russian-Arab renegades calling themselves the Alliance are having a meeting. The word is that one of them, Gorky is making his way by a road near you.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- You want us to stop him?
- It would be a serious blow to the Alliance.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- We’ll take him General.
Frank_Forsyth_small.jpg
- Gotta catch him first, sir. I hear Gorky drives his tank like a drophead.

New Secondary objectives received:
- Stop Y. I. Gorky.

Time to meet our nemesis from the alternative campaign! Though the game did not do a good job introducing him as such, as we have never really met face to face. I guess they had to keep the good parts for the Russian campaign.

We quickly get to work on our defences. The turret base is quickly produced, but it needs a weapon to function, and advanced weaponry requires a Workshop extension, which, in turn, requires upgrading the Factory to Workshop. No one said it was going to be easy.
2014_12_10_213614.jpg

We finish the work in record time, and I can finally send away some soldiers to monitor the road from north to south for Gorky's arrival.
2014_12_10_214232.jpg

I can hear his tank before I can see him. He is driving something huge. It is going to be messy...
2014_12_10_214447.jpg

Oh, boy.

Gorky is a 10th level mechanic driving the most beastly tank there is. My two gunmen who are barely 8th level won't stop this juggernaut by themselves. Still, we are obliged to try.
2014_12_10_214505.jpg

I try to maneuver around and limit the movements of his huge unwieldy vehicle utilizing the fact that our guns can rotate by 360 degrees while Gorky only has about 60 degrees to work with. For his part, Gorky expertly dodges our attempts, and turns his tank just at the right angles to take a shot at mine. Before long, one of my vehicles is burning.
2014_12_10_214544.jpg

But another one have positioned itself in Gorky's rear where his heavy gun can't reach us. We have a shot at this!

Realizing that, Gorky changes his tactics and tries to escape. The thick armor plating may just allow him to do so.

Not willing to let him get away that easily, I unplug one of the eastern passages and my soldiers pour through.
2014_12_10_214653.jpg

The gatling tank latches to the blind spot on the side of the heavy tank. If Gorky does not stop, we will lead him further and further away from his goal, because our tank does not let him turn his, but stopping would mean coming under a heavy fire from all directions.
2014_12_10_214719.jpg

He does not appear to have a choice. He pulls over and turns to running, but when did that ever work?
2014_12_10_214825.jpg

With 3 soldiers and a gatling tank at point-blank range, he gets to cover maybe 5 meters before he is cut down. We take care to spare the tank, though. It will come in handy.
2014_12_10_214859.jpg

We leave his body for the apes as we return to our more important duties. :salute:
2014_12_10_214956.jpg

Andy.jpg
- I can’t believe we stopped the famous Gorky!

We barely have time to pull our units back to base before we are assaulted by the Arabs. Thankfully, they get distracted by an ape making obscene jestures at them, which lets us mobilize our forces for defence.
2014_12_10_215536.jpg

Note to self: don't try to outrun gatling vehicles. If it didn't work for Gorky, what makes you think the apes would fare any better?
2014_12_10_215747.jpg

Yeah, I left the safety of the bunker, trying to get the enemy to switch its attention to the nearby tank. It worked out, sorta, just not in a way I thought it would...

...so I grabbed the second ape and tried to repair the bunker while our tanks were duking it out. :retarded:

No more apes for me, it seems.
2014_12_10_220117.jpg

Stevens.jpg
- Colonel, we’ve detected radiation in this area. It seems to emanate from the Siberite deposit. Anyone exposed to it’ll be dead within hours.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- What the hell’s going on?
Stevens.jpg
- Our research showed that, with the right catalyst the Siberite could be broken down into several radioactive compounds.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Looks like some bastard’s found what they needed. How do we stop it?
Stevens.jpg
- We can’t.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Jesus! Get all personnel away from that stuff now! And we better watch the other deposit. Only authorised personnel are to go near that mine!

I don't see anything wrong with our mine. Must be another deposit that got poisoned.

We ignore the warning and brace ourselves for another Arabian attack. Nothing exceptionally dangerous so far.
2014_12_10_220444.jpg

However, while we were busy fending them off...
2014_12_10_220530.jpg

Sneaky fucking Russians Arabs! :argh:

The green dots indicate the irradiated area. It slowly drains health from the units passing through it, even if they are inside the vehicles.
2014_12_10_220616.jpg

But it's not a big deal, right? We don't have anyone stationed near that mine in the first place, and it still produces Siberite. Why all the fuss? :?

We build another Lab and specialize it in Computers. We simply do not have the hands to handle everything at once. Hopefully, the development of an AI would help us out.
2014_12_10_220912.jpg

It also allows us to redesign our turret into an automatic one. Sure, it will operate worse than it did before, but it frees a soldier up.
2014_12_10_221005.jpg

However, before we finish the redecorating, we are besieged by a force twice as large as the previous ones. They have rocket launchers, which means they have range on our defenders...
2014_12_10_221132.jpg

...and they attack us from a direction I did not expect them to.
2014_12_10_221533.jpg

For a moment there, I think we are boned as our fortifications fall one by one and the rocket launchers start picking our Lab apart with the scientists inside it while our tanks are hopelessly entangled in combat with the ape-driven flamethrower vehicles.

The fighting is fierce, but an ape is no match for a man, and a few feints by our soldiers lure the rocket trikes closer to our positions...
2014_12_10_221700.jpg

...as our engineers frantically try to keep the fires under control.
2014_12_10_222017.jpg

It is a close call, but in the end the attack is repelled with no lasting dama-

Wait, where is our Siberite mine?
2014_12_10_222504.jpg

:rage::rage::rage:

At first I thought an Arabian saboteur snuck inside my base while I was busy (I really was not paying attention to anything not related to the immediate survival of the base). But no, it turns out that once the deposit is contaminated, it will first emit radiation, and then explode once the contamination reaches critical levels, destroying both the mine AND THE DEPOSIT. An attentive reader might notice that a silver dot in the north-eastern corner of the mini-map denoting the second deposit (and the one that was contaminated before ours) was already gone by the time the Arabs launched their attack.

Macmillan was right, we should have guarded it better. Now I have no Siberite left on the map but the one I have already collected, and I did not even start on the main research project! :negative:

And the worst thing is, there is no oil. The solar power is literally the only power source left to me.

Fuck this mission.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Well... they can't all be winners.
Honestly, this is where it would be easier to just hit Restart and try again. But I will not accept defeat before the AI. :rpgcodex:

We will continue on our path to GLORY.

The first step would be building a sturdy defensive line. A few rocket launchers can break the current one without much trouble, tying our engineers down for several minutes while they repair everything back. I decide that we need a Construction Crane, a vehicle that is able to build and repair 5 times faster than my men alone. I build the non-combat Workshop extenstion, but as I do not have enough crates for a tracked extension just yet, I will have to put the vehicle on wheels. Whatever, it should not leave the base premises anyway.
2014_12_10_223541.jpg

It is the rightmost one in the center.

BTW, we are back to solar engines for our vehicles. Oh, the wonders of late-game technology. :negative:

I build one more automatic Heavy Gun turret and upgrade the Armory to get access to Snipers. The next wave does not catch me unaware, and in fact is surprisingly easy to repel, as their flamethrowers are useless against metallic buildings.
2014_12_10_223835.jpg

The snipers in the armory have a field day 'extracting' the drivers our of these poorly defended tin cans...
2014_12_10_223949.jpg

...while our drivers make short work of their siege weapons and capture what they can, as those are our only source of Siberite now. As they say 'necessity is the mother of invention'.
2014_12_10_224307.jpg

I continue to build and research. The waves are becoming more and more aggressive, and we must answer in kind. However, the next one arrives at an unfortunate time, when the fortifications are already in place, but there is not enough energy to power them all.
2014_12_10_230826.jpg

Once again, our mobile forces prove invaluable. Gorky's tank is the only thing keeping us afloat by now.
2014_12_10_231121.jpg

I kind of phased out, as I did not have much hope left for the mission. I have built the rocket extension, then the tracked one, and I wanted to build the computer one next to be able to produce computer-controlled vehicles, so I dismantled the extension allowing me to put advanced weapon on my tanks (as there is not enough space to fit everything). Or so I thought, when in fact I dismantled the non-combat extension, costing me a few more of the precious crates.

Why the crates are precious? Well, in a fit of unprecedented :retarded: I dismantled the cargo truck instead of a gatling tank. That's right, I no longer have the ability to transport crates back to the base, not until I build a AI-controlled cargo truck, as it is too dangerous to let my people wander off to the center of the map with the Arabs all over the place.

What can I say? Today is not my day. Thankfully, the worst is behind us, and the truck is complete before I run out of resourses, though a pair of engineers had to venture a bit farther from the base than I was comfortable with. We can finally concentrate on the purpose of our mission by upgrading the second Lab to specialize in Siberite research.
2014_12_10_232201.jpg

After finishing the research on the computers, of course, as we are so dependant on the AI now.
2014_12_10_232835.jpg

By now I am able to predict waves by the noise their engines make. I discover the enemy force before they have a chance to see me.
2014_12_10_233053.jpg

I let my snipers out of the Armory and have a little fun with their drivers.
2014_12_10_233207.jpg

The tanks intercept what is left of their forces before they are able to cause much harm.
2014_12_10_233329.jpg

I am beginning to feel confident again.

The research of the ultimate technology is taking us a long time, as should only be expected. Yet another wave of attackers comes to our doorstep.
2014_12_10_235836.jpg

They are packing some heavy stuff this time. And worst of them all are 10 level apes sealed shut in the driver seats. Where do you even get 10th level apes? My best drivers are only 8th level, you cheating bastards! :argh:
2014_12_10_235933.jpg

But that's not all. The vehicles these elite apemen are driving are Siberite-powered self-propelled bombs. One of them breaks through our lines and makes contact with the Armory, to this effect:
2014_12_11_000043.jpg

Instant death, carnage and destruction.

Tell me that's not bullshit, I dare you! :argh::argh::argh:

70 fucking crates down the drain... When will this end? :negative:
2014_12_11_000340.jpg

But finally...
2014_12_11_000533.jpg

Thank God! Just a few more minutes...

The construction of the Siberite Rocket takes 70 crystals. We do not have enough. I have to recycle two of my tanks to get the required amount, crippling my defensive capabilities. This better be worth it.
2014_12_11_000814.jpg

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- General Powell, this is John Macmillan. We’ve started construction of the Siberite rocket.
- Excellent, John. Reinforcements are on their way. It’s vital the enemy don’t get their hands on it.

The construction takes about as much time as the research itself, which is to say, a lot. In the meantime? More Arabs!
2014_12_11_001137.jpg

Wait, who are these extra people?
2014_12_11_001240.jpg

It's the reinforcements Powell promised!

They are of poor quality (only 4th or 5th level), but I am not in a position to be picky.

After what seems to me like an eternity...
2014_12_11_001813.jpg

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- John Macmillan to general Powell. The Siberite rocket has been completed, we’re ready to test.
- Prepare practice targets and commence testing. Watch out for the enemy John. They’ll do everything they can to stop us.

New objectives received:
- Build a warehouse and a barracks (both upgraded) in the outlined area.
- The Siberite rocket must not fall into enemy hands.
New secondary objectives received:
- Prepare a vehicle with a radar to monitor the explosion.

Here is our rocket, by the way. It is a one-time weapon, but what a weapon it is!
2014_12_11_001908.jpg

Alright, where is the designated area? I am sick of this base and I want to go home. I will gladly nuke it into the ground if only it makes us finish the mission faster.

Wait, what is up with the red dot on the minimap?
:rage::rage::rage:

No.

No, no, no, you can't be serious, game. I can barely hold my base together, I have long since scrapped my best vehicles, my solar engines give up after a few meters, and you want me to travel to the opposite side of the map, to build a base there, in the open, and expect me to protect the rocket all the while?

Get fucking real! :x

:badnews:
And this is where we are now.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Does http://postimg.org/ work for you at all?

Might be a temporary problem. If it does not go away, I suppose I might have to re-upload the files to another hosting site.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hah! Nope. Apparently, our national policeforce has requested that domain be blocked, on the suspicion of child pornography being hosted there..

Still didn't stop me from reading your updates though. :bro: Seems like a right pickle you're in. +M

Nevill

Arcane
They do that in Denmark, too, huh?

Well, I have only two suggestions. Either you can use a proxy to bypass the limitations (TOR does wonders), or I can put the images on a hosting that is not compromised and you can browse them to get an idea of what is happening. There may even be some screenshots that did not make it to the update.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom