Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Original War

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ask me how many tries it took.

I mean, how do you think I know the specific timings of enemy attacks? :M :negative:
You seem to enjoy it though. Are you a bit of a masochist? :M

Black

Arcane
Remember the people who wanted to give you a proper tank instead of a bulldozer. They are your friends.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They are also the same ones who insisted on going the Platonov route. They are loyal friends. :M

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Why? Don't you trust Platonov? He did help you in mission 4!

Nevill

Arcane
Mission 13. Peace on Earth.
And so our tale continues.
2015_11_04_171944.jpg

Neutral territory, North East from Gamma Base; March 7, ERA + 2
Burlak and his comrades have escaped Platonov and the Russian forces. It remains to be seen whether men who were once bitter enemies can work together now.

We arrive at the rendez-vous point, the same brave six men (and women). Now, I have this nagging feeling that something is missing. Something important...
2015_11_04_171951.jpg

WHERE IS MASHA!??!?!!!!

GAAAAAAAAAAAMEEEEEE!!!!!
:x:x:x

Looks like the Alliance mission design does not account for the survival of your personal vehicle. Or maybe we left it behind not to trigger our American colleagues. Either way, it's not here. :negative:

Ah, well. We will persevere. We always do.
2015_11_04_184834.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- This is the place we should meet with our scientists.
Gnievko.jpg
- So what can be holding them?
5_Gleb.jpg
- They should be here.
Gorky.jpg
- It does not matter. They should arrive soon. And it’s a good location. We can start building the new base here while we wait.

And taming monkeys while we are at it.
2015_11_04_190638.jpg

There is a lot of crates falling into our lap. Good, as we are not seeing even the tiniest bit of the resourses that we so carefully preserved in the last mission. :|
2015_11_04_190800.jpg

There are several wild apes to the north-west, so my scientist has a field day while the rest of the team erects basic defensive structures. It is then when we notice people heading our direction. I would recognize this jewish mug anywhere.
2015_11_04_191404.jpg

Yup, here there are. Everyone we helped escape in the last mission.
2015_11_04_191412.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- Good to see you again, professor.
Gossudarov.jpg
- You too, Burlak. I'm sorry we are late, but we did a bit of espionage on the way.
Gorky.jpg
- (laughs) You did!
Gossudarov.jpg
- We are not complete eggheads, my friend! We found an Arabian base to the East. It’s very large, could be New Kaaba itself. But it's undermanned; seems most of the mercenaries have left.
Gorky.jpg
- I shall have to make you my new scout!

2015_11_04_193809.jpg

Gossudarov.jpg
- We also learnt that they have another specimen of Alien technology, another Artefact! When colonel Macmillan arrives—
Gorky.jpg
- (chokes) Who?!
Gossudarov.jpg
- Colonel Macmillan. Didn't I tell you he decided to join Alliance as well?
Gorky.jpg
- That bastard killed my brother! I'd sooner die than serve with him!

That... can be arranged.
2015_11_04_192817.jpg

Gossudarov.jpg
- Please think again, major. Here he is now.
Gorky.jpg
- (turns, speaks through clenched teeth) Macmillan! (reaches for the gun)
Macmillan.jpg
- (seething) Burlak! (grabs his M-16 and opens fire)

Normally I wouldn't rate my chances in a firefight too high, but what a coincidece it must be that we have an armory built and upgraded mere seconds ago! :cool:
2015_11_04_192857.jpg

I don't think this Alliance multi-kulti stuff is working out, guys. :M
:avatard:

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
I don't think this Alliance multi-kulti stuff is working out, guys.

What do you mean? It is working as intended. This is just a brief contest for leadership. :M

MZeta

Scholar
If I knew we'll lost Masha, I would vote for Platonov. He deserve to rot in hell, but at least we would have our trusted mount.
images

Nevill

Arcane
It is working as intended. This is just a brief contest for leadership.
Pretty much, yes.

Mission 13. Peace, Labor, May.
They take a couple of shots at each other, but the scientists separate them.
Gossudarov.jpg
- Oh no! Stop it!
Roth.jpg
- John, stop!
Gossudarov.jpg
- Gentlemen, this is a new beginning for us all! Until now you were judged by your ability to kill one another. But no longer. Forget about USA and USSR. We are just humans here.

Corny and banal as this speech may be, it cools their heads somewhat.

Gorky.jpg
- You think I can work with this asshole!?
Macmillan.jpg
- The professor has a point, Burlak. Joan’s death broke my heart, but I’m not going to bring her back by killing you. The fact that we’re here at all means we know there is another way.
Gorky.jpg
- There is truth in this, I know. But it is hard!
Macmillan.jpg
- Here’s my hand. I’m prepared to work with you as my commander. Does that make it any easier?
Gorky.jpg
- I am not your superior, Macmillan. We are equals. We should share command.
Macmillan.jpg
- Let’s see how it goes. Right now I’d suggest we strengthen our position. We were being pursued all the way here.
Gorky.jpg
- Let’s get to work.

I think that's as close to hugs and kisses as it can get. If this game got a remake, there would definitely be a romance involved. :M

Primary objective received:
- Build your new base and defend it from attacks.
- John Macmillan must survive.

Let's follow the advice and build a lab. We already have advanced armory, all we need to do to make our position impenetrable is the good old bazooka technology.
2015_11_04_214235.jpg

Hey, Yankee, you've got yourself a lab! What are you complaining about?
2015_11_04_214246.jpg

Peterson.jpg
- We’ve been doing some interesting research lately. It would be worth constructing a lab so we can continue.

Turns out he wants an American Lab. The Alliance has access to both Russian and American technology trees, and it benefits from the best personnel both sides have to offer, but in return they require twice as much resourses to make use out of it, as specialized research can only be conducted in a lab built by a specific nation, and the same goes for weapons and vehicles as well - you can't fit lasers on a Russian chassis, and you can't mount time lapsers on an American turret. They also do not have access to the ultimate weapon of destruction, the Siberite/Alaskite rocket, but that's to be expected.

However, their snipers are far less AWESUM than our bazookas, and so Peterson will have to wait.

In the meantime, we get scouted by an automated drone.
2015_11_04_205420.jpg

Shultze.jpg
- (frightened) Holy Virgin save us! They’re here!
Gossudarov.jpg
- (shakily) Burlak, you know Platonov as well as I do. If he knows where we are, he will attack again and again till we are all dead.

This time it's Platonov, but it could have easily been one of Powell's:

Roth.jpg
- (frightened) My God! Powell’s traced us!
Macmillan.jpg
- (sternly) Burlak, I’ve gotta tell you. Powell’s a tenacious bastard, he’s going to do everything he can to destroy us. We better be ready for him.

We are sandwitched between the two forces, after all. Three, if you count the Arabs.

The drone runs amok, shooting at the apes randomly, so we take some soldiers to the armory to put it down.
2015_11_04_205453.jpg

It tries to disengage, but come on! Not with our levels. Meanwhile, we finish the construction of an oil depot and a power plant, and are working on the Weapons lab.
2015_11_04_205547.jpg

In about one minute and a half...
2015_11_04_210142.jpg

Say, professor, you mentioned there were Arabs in the area? Since neither Platonov nor Powell can be reached (they rely on automated vehicles to raid us), perhaps we should busy ourselves with the ones who have an established presence in the region.

And look, there is a steep but passable slope to the north, so we don't have to come through the front door! Isn't that convenient?
2015_11_04_210257.jpg

We alert some vehicles on the way up, and they decide to engage us. Bad choice!
2015_11_04_210330.jpg

The path is winding and narrow, and if I had fewer people I could have been stopped easily while climbing it.
2015_11_04_210406.jpg

However, with our numbers, weapons and levels, any kind of resistance Arabs could muster is futile. Their famed flamethrowers only serve as a warm-up.
2015_11_04_214932.jpg

There goes the turret.
2015_11_04_214948.jpg

There goes the turret operator. You think what we did with the Americans in the 11th mission was overkill? Hah!
2015_11_04_215015.jpg

There goes the mastodon. And people wonder why they got extinct.
2015_11_04_215043.jpg

There goes sheikh Abdul.
2015_11_04_215100.jpg

Wait, is that Platonov's vehicles laying waste to my base?
2015_11_04_210843.jpg

Nevermind, we'll just have to finish here quickly, then come back and deal with the invaders. One more salvo for the Arabian depot!
2015_11_04_210855.jpg

And one more for the engineer trying to repair it!
2015_11_04_210901.jpg

And one mo-... What?
2015_11_04_210914.jpg

Wait, how? Our objective was to build up and protect our base!

WHAT WAS SO IMPORTANT ABOUT THAT ENGINEER!? :?:?:?

Mission Accomplished.

+ Sheikh Abdul killed.
+ Sheik's mastodon killed.
- You failed to develop lasers.

NOBODY EVEN ASKED ME TO DEVELOP LASERS! :|

Intermission screen.
2015_11_04_211026.jpg

What was that about? :retarded:
The mission was done in 6 minutes. We have completed the main objective before the game could even tell us what it was. :smug:

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Once more, you break the game yet again. Perhaps it's not as good as you say it to be, if it's so poorly coded. :troll:

- John Macmillan must survive.

Too bad. Is it possible to somehow kill him by fast-building an armory and putting all of your units here? Failing that, hopefully future missions will no longer have this objective, so that we can have our vengean- I mean, that he'll have a disastrous accident in which we have nothing to do with.

Nevill

Arcane
Okay, so maybe I got carried away and finished too fast. :oops:

Let's waste a bit of time waiting for the game to react. In the meantime, let's make a shooting gallery with Sheikh Abdul as the main target!
2015_11_04_220130.jpg

Platonov tanks kill all the apes in my base and drive away, having found no other targets. :lol: Ah, well, I can always tame more.

It is a testament to how heavily armored our men are at 10th level that the mastodon falls to scientists' air guns before it drops anyone. The sheikh in not even a challenge.
2015_11_04_220320.jpg

We dick around for about half a minute, taking a tour of the base and wrecking random stuff. When the game realizes we have no intention to build the American lab, it switches tactics and makes Gossudarov address Gorky directly.
2015_11_04_220910.jpg

Gosudarov.jpg
- Burlak, we need the Artefact. We must have it.
Roth.jpg
- What Artefact is this?
Gorkyzooka.jpg
- There’s one in the Arabian base to the East.
Is it really the east if you are standing right in the middle of it?
Roth.jpg
- Then we should get hold of it!
Gorkyzooka.jpg
- If we’re going to mount a raid we should hurry. Professor Gossudarov said it's undermanned right now and the Arabians move their bases often. We wait any longer we could have missed our chance.
Maczooka.jpg
- We’ve only just set up; we’re not ready to attack the main Arabian base!
You... are not the sharpest tool in the shed either, are you, Macmillan?

Thus, the choice.
2015_11_04_220422.jpg

Uh, sure. We'll try to communicate with the base. Hello? HELLO!

:dead:

Why does no one come out to talk to us?

Gorkyzooka.jpg
- All right, if it matters so much we’ll see what we can do.
2015_11_04_220431.jpg

Gorkyzooka.jpg
- This is major Gorky calling commander of base New Kaaba. I know you can hear me, commander. In your possession you have "Alien technology". We request that you hand it over to us.

Unsurprisingly, no answer comes. You don't need to call him via the radio, Burlak. His remains are right there under the mastodon, if you need them.

I am not very good at guessing what the game wants from me. :negative:
Is it possible to somehow kill him by fast-building an armory and putting all of your units here?
The scientists stop you, and after that he goes under your command and you get the objective.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
What we've missed.
Ok, let's make use of necromancy and the power of the editor to see what the mission is supposed to be about.

First, we should have built the American Lab when we first got prompted.
Peterson.jpg
- We‘ve been looking at the use of lasers as a weapon major. These can be very effective. Or remotely controlled vehicles. These require mechanics, but no-one risks their life and the vehicles are more effective than those controlled by computer.

Then, after you are done with that, either Gossusarov or Roth (depending on who exactly knows about the Artefact) will bug you.
Gossudarov.jpg
- Major, we’re decoding the technology but there are gaps in our knowledge. We need the Arabian’s Artefact.
Roth.jpg
- Major, we need the Arabian’s Artefact. We’re beginning to understand the technology but we’ve reached the end of the line. We need more examples of this stuff.

Then you are supposed to make a decision about the base.

Gorkyzooka.jpg
- This is major Gorky calling commander of base New Kaaba. I know you can hear me, commander. In your possession you have "Alien technology". We request that you hand it over to us.
Abdul_Ghost.jpg
- You contact us to make some stupid joke major!? I will give you nothing you piece of commie shit.
Gorkyzooka.jpg
- We can trade you, commander. We have technologies and resources you need, they’re worth much more to you than some scrap your scientists can’t understand.
Abdul_Ghost.jpg
- If you want this thing so bad then I will destroy it sooner than give it to you. If you don’t know that then you are dumber than my mastodon.
Gorkyzooka.jpg
- OK. The Arabians aren’t going to hand us anything on a plate. We must take it by force.

Not very friendly, are they? But at least now we finally get to see the objectives:
2015_11_04_220440.jpg

We get 30 minutes (20 on Hard difficulty) to make our move before the Arabs pack up and leave, relocating their base. The front entrance has sufficient defenses to require several vehicles to break through, so that's why I have chosen to attack from the backyard. You are supposed to split your forces and leave some to protect your base, but as we have seen, this in not really necessary. :lol:

Depending on who you've taken with you on the previous mission, you could have an additional event. If you left either Belkov or Gnyevko with Platonov, they will make a run for it after he declares a witch hunt against your close supporters:
Belkov_ghost.jpg
- (appears on Southern edge of the map) Burlak? Ivan? Anyone, help me. Please! They are coming for me!
Gorky.jpg
- (to Macmillan) This is Pioter Mikhailovich Belkov. He’s decided to join us. We must save him.

You then are given a minute to make contact with him before more Platonov tanks arrive. However, Belkov is dead, and Gnyevko is with us, so the event does not trigger.

There also supposed to be a massive attack from Powell and one more from the Arabs, but even when I was a noob I never let this mission run long enough to see it. :M
I can't help but notice that for a group that puts PEACE and SCIENCE as a cornerstone of their ideology we are surprisingly reluctant to research anything except bazookas. :cool:

Since this mission is the one where the American and Russian Alliance paths converge, I will do a bit of an overview for the American version.
There are some very interesting differences, though.

First, Macmillan's group comes from the northern part of the map. It makes sense, they are fleeing from Powell, and the Americans are up north.
Macmillan.jpg
- This seems a good place to stop running.
9_joan.jpg
- We’re too near Arab territory for Powell to follow us.
Lawson.jpg
- I like it. Looks easy to defend.
Macmillan.jpg
- Then let’s go to work.

Second, the allied entry is different. Russian scientists still come from the south, but the Americans, scared by the sudden appearance of foreigners, mistakenly open fire on them.
Roth.jpg
- Hold your fire! (turns to Macmillan) John, let me introduce you to our new allies. (Roth and Macmillan walk toward group of Russians) Professor Gossudarov, colonel Macmillan.
Macmillan.jpg
- Good to meet you, Professor.
Gossudarov.jpg
- It’s a strange way you have of greeting people, colonel.
Macmillan.jpg
- Kind of a soldiers instinct. Shoot first, shake hands later! Sorry, Professor.
Gossudarov.jpg
- Apology accepted, colonel. And it is good there are soldiers amongst you, we are mainly scientists as you can see. But we will do any work you require.

Third is that while prof. Gossudarov's survival is crucial for the success of Russian Alliance branch, Peter Roth's is not. The scene changes appropriately if you managed to get him killed.
Macmillan.jpg
- Hold your fire! These are our allies! (Comes to the group of Russians) Professor Gossudarov? I’m John Macmillan. Peter spoke about you many times.
Gossudarov.jpg
- Where is he?
Macmillan.jpg
- I’m afraid he didn’t make it.
Gossudarov.jpg
- This is sad news you bring, Colonel Macmillan.

Fourth is that the second protagonist is not with them. Just like in the Russian branch, they have split to make their escape.
Macmillan.jpg
- And where is major Gorky?
Gossudarov.jpg
- He will be with us. Burlak, that is what we call him, drew the soldiers' fire as he drove away the alien artefact, so that we could escape. But I am confident he will outwit them.
Macmillan.jpg
- I look forward to meeting him. But right now we have a base to get on with.

Fifth is that it is Burlak who hid the artefact from the pursuers, not the professor. There is a bug in the 14th mission of Russian Alliance branch that has him saying that he left it in a certain place - this line comes, in fact, from the American campaign.

Kirilenkova plays the part of Russian Denis Peterson, imparting the tech knowledge:
Kirienkova.jpg
- We’ve been doing some productive research lately. It would be worth constructing a lab so we can continue.

Kirienkova.jpg
- Now we can start our research, colonel. At Trotsky we were researching rockets and developing space-time technologies for time-warping and space-shifting weapons. We also developed a means of locating all the Alaskite or, as you call it, Siberite in a given area, including Siberite in vehicles, buildings and other places.
Macmillan.jpg
- Sounds brilliant. I’m glad we’re on the same side now.

When Platonov's tank discovers our base, the lines are slightly different:
Shultze.jpg
- (frightened) They've found us! Holy Virgin save us!
Gossudarov.jpg
- (shakily) Colonel, I must warn you. Comrade Platonov is ruthless and vengeful, if he knows where we are, he will attack again and again till we are all dead.
Macmillan.jpg
- You couldn’t find a better place for protection, Professor. But we’d better do what we can before they get here.

The game assumes that Belkov lives, so this event always happens:
Belkov.jpg
- (appears on Southern edge of map) Mikhail? Ivan? Anyone, help me. Please! They are coming for me!
Gossudarov.jpg
- Colonel! This is Pioter Mikhailovich Belkov, one of the best soldiers we have. He must have decided to join us.

However, while Burlak trusts his buddies and would never doubt them, Macmillan knows nothing of this 'Belkov', and is suspicious of him.
Macmillan.jpg
- Or it’s a trap.
Gossudarov.jpg
- I think not, colonel, he’s a friend of Burlak and not the kind who would deceive.
Macmillan.jpg
- If we let him in and you’re wrong we could be dead before we start.

Therefore you get a choice where in the Russian branch the course of action is obvious.

A Russian soldier may be trying to join the Alliance. Will you:

- Accept him.
Macmillan.jpg
- This is colonel Macmillan. We’re North of your position. We’ll send a search party now.
Belkov.jpg
- Thank you, colonel. I am heading North. (comes over) These hills are a good defensive position. Excellent choice, colonel Macmillan.
- Reject him.
Macmillan.jpg
- No, comrade. We won't fall for this trap. (Belkov wanders around the map for a while, and then a couple of Russian vehicles appear and kill him)
Macmillan.jpg
- (if somebody sees Belkov's death) God help us. I swear I’ll take revenge for him.

Burlak arrives 10 minutes into the mission, wounded and pushing his tank - that is out of oil - before him.
Gorky.jpg
- Major Burlak calling Alliance base. Can anyone hear me?
Belkov.jpg
- Burlak! I knew it! No one can stop him!
Kirienkova.jpg
- Is it you, Yuri? I’d started to worry. I should have known better!
Gorky.jpg
- It wasn’t so easy. I was hit, and then I had to push my tank the last few miles. But I wasn’t letting the bastards get their hands on my Masha!
Macmillan.jpg
- (whispers) His girlfriend?
Kirienkova.jpg
- (whispers) His tank!

Wait, how come the American campaign gets Masha and the Russian one doesn't!? :argh:

He is trapped behind enemy lines, though. He emerges to the north of the Arabian base, and we have to sneak a medic to contact and heal him, and then guide him back to our headquarters. That's what the winding path is for.

They first make contact over the radio.
Macmillan.jpg
- Colonel Macmillan. Good to meet you Major Gorky.
Gorky.jpg
- Who’d have thought to see us on the same side!
Macmillan.jpg
- Not me that’s for sure! I'll have to get someone to see to your wounds.

There is no real enmity between the two. The American campaign is a rather tame one, as far as character deaths are involved.

Then they meet each other personally.
Macmillan.jpg
- Major Burlak, colonel Macmillan.
Gorky.jpg
- Ah, how many times I have spat at the sound of that name!
Macmillan.jpg
- Thanks a lot!
Gorky.jpg
- Because you are good at your job, colonel. So good you have killed many of my friends.
Macmillan.jpg
- And my soldiers have lost their lives to you. Now we can argue about it and we can kill each other or put it behind us.
Gorky.jpg
- I was just stating the facts, colonel. I am here because I believe we can work together and I am prepared to accept you as commander.
Macmillan.jpg
- I’m glad to hear it, Burlak, but I see you as an equal not a subordinate. The success of the Alliance depends on both of us.

The base, New Kaaba, could be either discovered by your soldiers and identified by your best scout, Frank Forsyth...
Lawson.jpg
- Colonel, it seems we have company. There is a large Arabian base up there.
Frank.jpg
- See that mastodon over there? Look at the saddle on it. That belongs to sheikh Abdul. We must be at New Kaaba, the main Arabian base.
Macmillan.jpg
- This close to the front line?
Frank.jpg
- Who’s going to look for it here? Anyway, keep on the move, next month it’ll be somewhere else.

...or Burlak can just tell you about it once you escort him back to safety.
Gorky.jpg
- You chose a good location for the base, Macmillan. It can be easily defended. On my way I saw the Arab base to the East. It was much more vulnerable. (fog revealed) It’s a large base, maybe Kaaba itself but they do not have the soldiers they need to protect it. Maybe all mercenaries are leaving.
Macmillan.jpg
- Are you sure it was undermanned?
Gorky.jpg
- I would not say otherwise. I also learnt they have a large piece of "Alien technology" as they called it. Perhaps another time machine?
Roth.jpg
- We should get hold of it!
Macmillan.jpg
- We’ve only just set up ourselves; we’re not ready to attack the main Arab base!
Gorky.jpg
- I thought you were supposed to have balls, Macmillan! I said there’s hardly anyone there, with the technology we’ve got we could wipe them out in no time.
Macmillan.jpg
- Any fool can be brave, major. I like to think about a fight, not just throw my people into it.
Gorky.jpg
- Don’t think too long. The Arabs move their bases often and it may happen that there is no Artefact there when you decide to attack.

You are given the same choice - to leave it alone, to try and negotiate with their commander, or to outright attack the Arabs.
Macmillan.jpg
- We left because we learnt that killing leads nowhere. We should contact them, work together on this.
Gorky.jpg
- Violence is the only language sheikhs understand!

Yeah, Burlak knows his kebab. Might have had his share of bad deals in this branch, too. The conversation goes pretty much the same, except we get called Yankee shits instead of commie ones. :lol:
Macmillan.jpg
- This is colonel Macmillan calling commander of base New Kaaba. I know you can hear me, commander. In your possession you have "Alien technology". We request that you hand it over to us.
Abdul.jpg
- You contact us to make some stupid joke, colonel!? I will give you nothing you piece of Yankee shit.
Macmillan.jpg
- We can trade you, commander. We have technologies and resources you need, they’re worth much more to you than a piece of scrap your scientists don’t understand.
Abdul.jpg
- If you want this thing so bad then I will destroy it sooner than give it to you. If you don’t know that then you are dumber than my mastodon.

And there is a nice finisher!
Macmillan.jpg
- OK, they won’t trade. But if they won’t hand it over then we’ll have to take it. We may have come here to put an end to the fighting but if they’re just gonna destroy what they don’t understand peace will have to wait.
Gorky.jpg
- Good. You made right decision Macmillan. Lead me to my Masha!

Why can't we have nice things!? :negative:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Let's move on to the next mission, then.

Mission 14. Think Tank.
The Alliance have founded their first and only base, and have named it Freedom. Hm. The guys lack imagination, it seems.
2015_11_05_200416.jpg

Freedom Base; March 24, ERA + 2
The Alliance has established its first base, Freedom. They went on to destroy the main Arab base and take possession of new Artefacts. The Alliance research team worked day and night.

Our best buddies are there, of course, planning the takeover of the prehistoric world.
2015_11_05_200419.jpg

Macmillan.jpg
- Peter says they’re close to a breakthrough. He could really use the artefact from your old base, Major.
Gorky.jpg
- It’s no longer there. Professor Gossudarov took it with him.
Macmillan.jpg
- Another artefact! Why the hell didn’t you tell me Burlak!?
Gorky.jpg
- I assumed you knew. The professor hid it west of here, before they reached the Arabian base.
Macmillan.jpg
- So it's still out there?
Gorky.jpg
- Yes. Perhaps I should bring it here....
Macmillan.jpg
- Can you see any reason not to!? We just risked our lives for one of these things.
Gorky.jpg
- I will go.
Macmillan.jpg
- Not on your own. I’m coming with you.
Gorky.jpg
- You don’t trust me?
Macmillan.jpg
- I want to make sure you don’t get killed bringing the thing back.
Gorky.jpg
- OK. Then let’s go.

We then get to select a vehicle for our next adventure, but are reminded that the second vehicle will have to be a cargo truck.
2015_11_05_200437.jpg

How did we even get all those vehicles without a workshop? :lol:

Our available choices include: a gatling tank, a large-sized rocket launcher, a heavy gun tank...
2015_11_05_200526.jpg

...a gun tank, another rocket launcher (medium-sized one this time), two cargo trucks and...
2015_11_05_200512.jpg

... A BULLDOZER!

No, it's not Masha. :negative:

It is an inferior American model that is a poor replacement. Still, it's the thought that counts!

And so, we are gone.
2015_11_05_201207.jpg

North West from Freedom Base, March 25, ERA + 2
The Russian Artefact may be the last piece of the puzzle that will help the Alliance to overcome its much stronger foes. Now Burlak and John Macmillan set out to get it.
The stats on the vehicles are (speed-armor, damage vs. infantry/vehicles/buildings:

> Gatling Tank 19-144 128/64/48 - tracked, medium, Alaskite powered
> Rocket Launcher 18-192 80/64/128 - wheeled, heavy, Alaskite-powered
> Rocket Launcher 19-144 80/64/128 - tracked, medium, oil-powered
> Heavy Gun Tank 13-208 68/187/136 - tracked, heavy, oil-powered
> Gun Tank 24-128 68/136/102 - wheeled, medium, oil-powered
> BULLDOZER 16-176 128/160/192 - tracked, heavy, oil-powered

Choose away. :M

Edit: I guess you can take two cargo trucks for extra storage capacity. :lol:

Edit2: a tie again? Let's summon the dice!

1. BULLDOZER!!1!
2. Something else for a change.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Ok, I guess it's time to throw you a bone, you had suffered enough for now. I vote for the the rocket launcher with Alaskite engine.

Black

Arcane
Bulldozer.
You deserve it for not siding with Platonov :M

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yeah, the wheeled alaskite tank looks compelling. Wheels for mobility, Alaskite so you don't run out of juice. Rockits because they go boom! :M

Nevill

Arcane
Even the dice are in favor of diversity and enrichment. :negative:

By the way, I have updated the
What we've missed.
post with the information about the American take on the 13th Allied mission. Check it out!

Mission 14. Old friends.
This is a quick and easy scenario. It does not matter much what vehicles we choose, though a bulldozer would make us sweat a little more and maybe lose on a medal.

We start in the south-eastern corner of a small map.
2015_11_05_225550.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- This looks like the area.
Macmillan.jpg
- How the hell are you supposed to know, there’s nothing here.
Gorky.jpg
- Which is exactly how the Professor described it! It’s hidden to the West of here. Let’s go!
Oh, Burlak, never change. :lol:

The voiceover of the last line says something like "Which is how I knew it would be safe from prying eyes. I hid it West of here", which is a holdover from the American mission, where Burlak hides the Artefact himself.
2015_11_05_225640.jpg

Here's the place.
2015_11_05_225948.jpg

The wheeled rocket launcher, while incredibly fast for its size, can not climb steep slopes and traverse rough terrain, which makes me follow the road north... where we encounter American soldiers.
2015_11_05_230010.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- Blyad'! American bastards! Uh, sorry colonel.
Macmillan.jpg
- What the hell are they doing here? There were no plans for patrols in this area.

With a little bit of help from Macmillan who heroically chose to take fire on himself we easily dispose of them.
2015_11_05_230122.jpg

But there are more. And though the Russian armor is durable, I am not sure if I can keep it up.
2015_11_05_230201.jpg

Which is why we do a little bait and switch. See, the Americans don't bother with the cargo vehicle because it does not attack them, deducing that the rocket launcher must be the bigger threat. However, if Macmillan leave the driver seat and starts shooting, he will attract their immediate attention, as he is both unarmorred and aggressive. Notice how both soldiers have turned to him, leaving Gorky alone. And just in time, too, because the tank was starting to smoke.
2015_11_05_230227.jpg

That's when you get Macmillan back into the vehicle and allow its armor to take the retaliatory strike from both soldiers. When they pause for reload, just do the whole thing again - else they will turn back to the launcher.
2015_11_05_230238.jpg

With a bit of back and forth, the soldiers will eventually die to rocket fire. Macmillan is slightly injured, but nothing that won't heal on its own.
2015_11_05_230331.jpg

Moving farther, we notice several vehicles and start shooting at them, but soon notice they are all remote-controlled ones... and without anyone controlling them. This is getting weirder by the minute.
2015_11_05_230531.jpg

Macmillan.jpg
- What's going on? There’s no reason for a base here. And where the hell are the people?
Gorky.jpg
- I have a bad feeling. The Professor never mentioned this base. (into radio) Freedom, this is Burlak. We’ve found an American base here that seems to be abandoned.
The voiceover states - again, incorrectly - "This base is built since I was here".
Random_Soldier_radio.jpg
- I’m glad you called in Major. We’ve been trying to contact you. We intercepted a conversation you should know about. Transmitting now.

Hah! If it ain't our good pal Stevens!
2015_11_05_230544.jpg

Rus_Hugh_radio.jpg
- (noisy) General Powell, we’re in the area. The observation base is finished and we’re proceeding with the test explosion.
Rus_Powell_radio.jpg
- (noisy) Collect as much data as you can. Visual observation is crucial!
Rus_Hugh_radio.jpg
- (noisy) That’s going to put lives in danger sir. Automatic observation posts can take the measurements just as well.
Rus_Powell_radio.jpg
- (noisy) (shouting) I gave you an order!
Rus_Hugh_radio.jpg
- (noisy) Yes sir! Test targets are ready now. Evacuate the area; I repeat evacuate the target area now. Wait for my signal, I’m performing the visual observation myself.
Macmillan.jpg
- Jesus. They still managed to build the bomb!

Looks like the formation of the Alliance was not enough to deter the warring sides from developing the weapons of mass destruction. Was it all for naught? However, there is no time to dwell on this, because...

Random_Soldier_radio.jpg
- Major, the transmission was from the West but we think the target is east of you. Head West now!
Macmillan.jpg
- The abandoned depot! This must be the test site!
Gorky.jpg
- And those vehicles are observation posts. We better move fast!

...we are right in the middle of a thermonuclear launch testing site. Run! RUN!!!
2015_11_05_230630.jpg

Seconds later...
2015_11_05_230833.jpg

2015_11_05_230834.jpg

2015_11_05_230835.jpg

2015_11_05_230836.jpg

2015_11_05_230838.jpg

Yeah... :roll:
Macmillan.jpg
- My God, I've never seen anything like it.
Gorky.jpg
- Lord have mercy on us.
Macmillan.jpg
- The earth’s scorched, the whole area must be contaminated. Head any further and Siberite radiation will kill you.
Gorky.jpg
- Maybe the Arabians weren't crazy to try and destroy it. We can't leave your commander with this ability. We must stop the data from reaching him.
Macmillan.jpg
- We know there’s a scientific base nearby and Powell would hardly be expecting us here, so the defenses are gonna be weak. If we move fast maybe we can stop anything getting through to him.

2015_11_05_230846.jpg

If you enter the contaminated area, they will comment on it, too. One of the medals is for testing the effects of the post-explosion radiation first-hand. :cool:

Macmillan.jpg
- It’s like I thought, full of radiation. Aargh, I’ve got to get out.
Gorky.jpg
- Shit! You were right, the radiation’s killing everything here. Including me if I hang around!

Proceeding west, we find another abandoned base. I hope this is not another one of those.
2015_11_05_230942.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- Isn't it a trap? It looks like the base is empty.
Macmillan.jpg
- That's Stevens at his best. He builds a base and puts no one on guard. The depot in the main base won’t be guarded either.

Macmillan is an engineer for this mission, so he quicklly repaints it and claims if for the Alliance! Our first conquest!
2015_11_05_231112.jpg

Meanwhile, Burlak proceeds south, where he finally finds something interesting.
2015_11_05_231142.jpg

And there's the lab, too! With a whole lot of manned turrets. I would not exactly call it 'unguarded', Macmillan.
2015_11_05_231223.jpg

Duking it out with the turrets is pointless - the base has a building crane that repairs them very fast. Therefore, we must approach this differently.
2015_11_05_231245.jpg

Like, for example, turn Gorky into a retard magnet.
2015_11_05_231408.jpg

The tank, despite its size, is very fast, so you have to do a bit of dancing to lure them in without them losing contact and interest.
2015_11_05_231430.jpg

Like moths to the fire, like lambs to the slaughter.
2015_11_05_231556.jpg

There are about 7 or 8 of them. The rocket launcher has the range to shoot them from behind the armory. If I had picked a bulldozer, I would have had to get my hands dirty and get Burlak to the armory himself.
2015_11_05_231629.jpg

We are running out of time here. We need to get proactive. I send Macmillan back to the depot to change him into the engineer once more.
2015_11_05_233450.jpg

The path is clear. Most of the turrets are abandoned now, except for one.
2015_11_05_231829.jpg

We leave Gorky to exchange shots while Macmillan pushes forward, to the depot.
2015_11_05_231928.jpg

Heroically painting the building green was enough to put fear in the heart of the Americans! Hence, the choice.
2015_11_05_232006.jpg

Little glory? I want ALL THE GLORY! Besides, the violent solution has Macmillan handling things, and I don't want to give him any more spotlight!
2015_11_05_232019.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- Stop fighting. I am major Gorky, known as Burlak. I am here with your former commander, colonel Macmillan. You have no chance to defend this base so I offer you a deal. Give me the plans for the Siberite bomb and the research data and I'll let you leave here in one piece.
5_Stevens.jpg
- Major Gorky, you saved my life once, a long time ago. (Walks toward Burlak) Here, I'll give you the plans. I reckon that equals the score.
Gorky.jpg
- Thanks, you saved yourself a lot of trouble. (to Macmillan) OK. We have the data, now all we need is someone who understands it! Back to Freedom.

Wait, is that an Alaskite-powered bulldozer parked outside the lab? IT IS DESTINY!
2015_11_05_232125.jpg

Note the difference in stats. American one has 18-176 128/160/192, while Masha was 12-208 128/160/192. The American is 50% faster, but Masha is about 20% more sturdy. Which is better and why? :M

Now we can finally do what we came here to do.
2015_11_05_232205.jpg

Yoink!
2015_11_05_233823.jpg

Macmillan.jpg
- Good, now all we’ve got to do is get it back to base in one piece.
Gorky.jpg
- No problem! I am very careful driver!

And that is it. Mission Accomplished.
2015_11_05_233847.jpg

+ Alaskite explosion observed.
+ Explored the contaminated area.
+ The American base was taken quickly.

Intermission screen.
2015_11_05_232354.jpg

We may have delayed the research, but it is only a matter of time until either side develops a bomb. We must stop them at all costs. The time to strike is now!

Who will prevail in the final confrontation between the Soviets, the Americans, the Legion and the Alliance? Find out in the Grand Finale of the Original War series - 'War is Peace'!
:hype:

I wonder if I can finish the game in time for the 1 year anniversary of hijacking the LP. :roll:

The final battle approaches.
2015_11_05_234309.jpg

The dead will come back from their graves to fight for SCIENCE once more.
2015_11_05_234609.jpg

Even Masha has returned for this glorious occasion!
2015_11_05_234925.jpg

If you have any preference for the characters to take on the mission, go ahead and name them. Raul may or may not be an option (depends on whether he defected together with Kirilenkova - I will have to check if it's random). Actually, he turned to be one of our best soldiers and mechanics, a superhuman along the lines of Nikita Kozlov and Natalia Petrovova who is a better developed character than Gorky or Macmillan themselves! It would be a shame if he stayed with Platonov.

As an aside, Dmitry Gladkov (the officer who tried to stage the rebellion) seems to have defected to the Alliance as well, and is also an option. Though his stats are a bit mediocre.

dgbg.gif

Last edited:

MZeta

Scholar
If Raul is an option, take him of course, other that than, maybe Frank Forsyth, he was the funny one :cool:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Look at the list. Macmillan saved all his allies (except for one). Where is Belkov, comrade? WHERE IS HE?!

lightbane

Arcane
Masha cannot be destroyed. She always return in one form or another :incline:

I vote for taking Dimitri and Raul. For the rest, take the most OP characters you have. If you have broken the game so many times so far, do the same thing for the great finale.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom