Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Original War

MZeta

Scholar
Would be good if somebody competent got the command. Platonov is the problem.

Black

Arcane
Yashin.jpg

So classy, so badass.

And fuck Platonov, rat him out.
Or complain to him about how Azira wants to fuck you over every time :troll:

Raul's evil twin, Maria Bonacic (I thought Maria was a woman's name - what's up with the beard, pal?)
It's 2kk BC, times were different then, more progressive.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Mission 7. Pliocene Rance.
We are telling dad all about big bad Platonov.
Gorky.jpg
- (uncertain) Comrade marshal, it is not for me to say, but... I wonder if colonel Platonov is a little out of his depth. It is probably me that is wrong but sometimes his orders appear… confused.
Yashin.jpg
- I appreciate your candour. I’ll make my own assessment once I reach V. I. Lenin.
Well, it's on. Let's hope we won't be serving under the colonel's command anymore. :M

Yashin.jpg
- Now I need a vehicle to drive to V. I. Lenin. Give me one that's fast and strong, comrade Gorky.
Gorky.jpg
- Of course, comrade marshal.
Vehicle for marshal Yashin.

To give a vehicle to marshal Yashin, take any suitable vehicle and drive it to him, then get out of the vehicle. Marshal Yashin will enter it and drive away. Make sure the vehicle has enough fuel and it is equipped with a powerful weapon. Marshal Yashin will not take a captured Arab vehicle; you must give him one of yours.
Heh, he is a picky one. And here I thought we could give him a commandeered trike.

Let's just finish our job. There are barely 4 people left in the whole base - one in a vehicle that serves as a remote control station for others...
2015_10_23_220140.jpg

...one in the lab...
2015_10_23_220546.jpg

...one in the workshop and the last one was hiding in the second lab. That's all of them. Leveling the base takes too much time - it's easier to get engineers to repaint it our color.
2015_10_23_221226.jpg

Meanwhile, Yashin heads straight for our base where I had a vehicle parked ever since the beginning of the mission.
2015_10_23_220645.jpg

He gets in and drives off the map. The game could have asked for a confirmation if that's the vehicle I wanted to give the marshal - instead, he just walked right next to it and took off. Pfft. Senior officers are assholes, what else is new?

At New Kabul we repair the damaged buildings and construct an armory in case any more reinforcements decide to pay us a visit.
2015_10_23_221432.jpg

Once my engineers take control over the last few buildings, we get a transmission.
2015_10_23_221947.jpg

Popov_Radio.jpg
- You are doing a good job comrade Gorky. The pressure on our base has eased. The Arabians are on their way to you.
Gorky.jpg
- I see, comrade major.
Popov_Radio.jpg
- Their leader is the woman Heike, you might remember. She is good. Get rid of her if you can.
Gorky.jpg
- Understood, comrade major.

Primary objective received.
- Get Heike Steyer, don't let her to escape.
Secondary objective received.
- Try to capture Heike alive.

Did you say 'capture'? I've heard you said 'capture'!
ranceD.png

We are ready to meet them, but where are they? A brave cargo truck goes to investigate...
2015_10_23_222407.jpg

Hmph, not bad. However, we are heavily fortified and they don't have vehicles with them.

American radar technology? Pah! In Russia any old cargo truck can monitor enemy movements!
2015_10_23_222621.jpg

Incidentally, the southern armory is still manned - by a single person, Natalia Petrovova. She takes potshots while Heike's troops march to their doom.

I will let Heike pass... but her companions will have to stay with us for a while...
2015_10_23_222723.jpg

...and say hello to uncle 'Dozer. You've got to respect the beast - five men are firing at it and there is barely a dent in its armor.
2015_10_23_222759.jpg

And then it hits back. Hard. Somewhere in the process Heike is downed by an armory full of soldiers, but who cares? This show is not about her.
2015_10_23_222802.jpg

A massive machine towering over the heap of mangled bodies lying in a pool of blood. The scene of carnage is almost poetic. :hug:

All that is left is to bring a medic to Heike so that we could take her alive.
2015_10_23_222840.jpg

She does not seem to be happy about this at all. Ingrate! :argh:
2015_10_23_222847.jpg

7_Heike.jpg
- Burlak, you bastard, you have won. Kill me now, because I will tell you nothing!
Gorky.jpg
- I’ll take you to headquarters. I’m sure they can encourage you to make a little conversation.
7_Heike.jpg
- They can do what they like. I will never talk.

Mission Accomplished.
2015_10_23_222930.jpg

+ Raul Xavier survived.
+ You destroyed the Arab base quickly.
+ Heike captured.

Intermission screen.
2015_10_23_223118.jpg

Yay! Heike-chan get!
Rance.jpg

Wait, does it mean that Raul Xavier is actually...
Xavier.jpg

OHSHI~!
:avatard:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Interlude.

Mission 8 preview.
2015_10_23_223214.jpg

In the heart of Russian territory; July 21, 2 NR
There is a new leadership. Burlak has been promoted and his first task is to construct the 'new Moscow', the base known as L. D. Trotsky.

That's a lot of people...
2015_10_23_223224.jpg

Popov_Radio.jpg
- (over radio) Comrade Gorky, this is the area chosen for L. D. Trotsky. This base must be exemplary, sustain total functionality and be large enough to accommodate the majority. Oil and Alaskite supplies must be substantial. Is it clear?
Gorky.jpg
- (into radio) Understood, comrade colonel. We will ensure the base is the pride of every Russian soldier.

And a lot of work...
2015_10_23_223234.jpg

A construction mission, huh? This is going to take a while.
:bunkertime:

And just for comparison purposes - stats from Russian and American campaings after mission 7.
2015_10_23_223118.jpg
2014_11_08_150740.jpg

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Mission 8. Build-up.
Okay, let's play a builder sim.
2015_10_23_223214.jpg

In the heart of Russian territory; July 21, 2 NR
There is a new leadership. Burlak has been promoted and his first task is to construct the 'new Moscow', the base known as L. D. Trotsky.

Here's our briefing.
2015_10_23_223224.jpg

Popov_Radio.jpg
- (over radio) Comrade Gorky, this is the area chosen for L. D. Trotsky. This base must be exemplary, sustain total functionality and be large enough to accommodate the majority. Oil and Alaskite supplies must be substantial. Is it clear?
Gorky.jpg
- (into radio) Understood, comrade colonel. We will ensure the base is the pride of every Russian soldier.

And here's what we have to work with.
2015_10_23_223234.jpg

Five supply cargo trucks, a crane, about 20 people, of which 10 soldiers with the rest split between scientists, mechanics and engineers, and...

THREE bulldozers.

This is going to be BEST MISHUN EVAR! :love:

But first, we must find an appropriate spot for the base. And it doesn't make our job easier that there are American snipers in the area.
2015_10_24_105001.jpg

Fortunately, they are all rookies, so they never pose a serious threat to us. Still, they are annoying, as they harass my 'dozers and interrupt their work. Usually, I move the 'dozers back just a bit, luring the snipers closer to the ridge, then sent my soldiers in to punish them for greed. Works like a charm.

We find some oil. That's as good a spot for a base as any other.
2015_10_24_105828.jpg

Commence the construction of the New Moscow! And get rid of those trees - we will need a lot of space.
2015_10_24_110203.jpg

Popov_Radio.jpg
- Now you have the depot, we send you the prisoner from New Kabul, Heike Steyer. Keep an eye on her!

My day just keeps getting better. :hug: Of course, send her in! Gahahahaha! :bounce:

Sure enough, soon our beauty appears under a convoy of two soldiers. Heike herself is an engineer this time. I've heard honest labour could do wonders to one's mentality.
2015_10_24_110602.jpg

We build ourselves a fancy lab and an oil rig, while our scientists tame a few monkeys.
2015_10_24_111306.jpg

We also build a workshop where we dismantle 3 out of 5 cargo vehicles. We don't need that many.

You know, maybe Heike isn't all that bad? Even though we do not control her, she helps up with the construction duties nonetheless. Maybe her involvement with the mercenaries was just a mistake of youth?
2015_10_24_111915.jpg

I am extremely bothered by the fact that even though I have located two oil deposits and scouted the map three times already, I can't seem to find any Alaskite.

Bah, there it is - right under my nose! I guess there was some kind of LOS problem.
2015_10_24_112725.jpg

We construct a second lab - an optical one - and start working on that materialization prediction.

Looks like past mistakes do not let you go all that easily.
2015_10_24_112925.jpg

8_kurt.jpg
- (speaks from a place that's hidden in fog, or far away) Hello, comrade! I am Kurt, I wish to do deal with you.
Hey, it's Kurt, the time-traveling Nazi!
Gorky.jpg
- You are enemy. I'll kill you before I deal with you.
8_kurt.jpg
- I am enemy no longer. Sheikhs deceived us, I and few friends no longer their puppets. We help you.
Gorky.jpg
- In exchange for what?
8_kurt.jpg
- Your prisoner, Heike. Release her and we will help you train mortarmen and build barracks for them.

They would trade their mortars to just about anybody, eh? It's as if they don't have anything else to offer.
2015_10_24_112945.jpg

So, what do you say, Codex? Deal, or no deal? Or like in the American campaign, we could accept their proposal with the intention to screw them over. The choice is yours.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Keep the girl. It's not like she could attempt to escape and backstab you at some point... Right??

Nevill

Arcane
Alright. So far, the wishes seem to be "contact and inform the superiors, but keep the girl regardless of what they say". We can do that!

Mission 8.
Stabbity-stab.
Gorky.jpg
- (into radio) Colonel Popov, some fugitives from Arabian camp offer me their services in exchange for the prisoner. What is your view?
Popov_Radio.jpg
- (over radio) It is your decision. Your task is simply to make L. D. Trotsky the best base in the Pliocene world.
Gorky.jpg
- All right Kurt, you have a deal.
8_kurt.jpg
- Good. But do not think to trap us comrade, many would die to avenge our deaths.

He is not wrong, you know. Many would die. It's the avenging part that is tricky. :M

Here they come, Kurt and some nobody engineer with him.
2015_10_24_180957.jpg

Any attempt to make them do anything but what they've agreed to is met with cold refusal.
8_kurt.jpg
- No, comrade! Our agreement is clear: mortarmen barracks for Heike.

Before they can begin, though, one of my men addresses Gorky.
2015_10_24_180725.jpg

Kuzmin.jpg
- Comrade commander, we must make every bullet count now. A firing range would improve our shooting skills.
It's private Kuzmov - you might remember his extraordinary appropriation abilities from mission 4.
Gorky.jpg
- It is true, the harder the practice the easier the battle. What do you have in mind?
Kuzmin.jpg
- We can use this area (camera pans)… and oil barrels from the depot for targets.

I am then presented with a choice...
2015_10_24_180737.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- It sounds a good idea. I will tell you when you can practice.
Shooting gallery.

This is a special feature in this mission. The marked area on the map was selected as a shooting gallery. Avoid constructing any buildings there. If you want somebody to practice shooting, just send him to this area and leave him there. If you want him to stop practicing, select him and send him somewhere else.
I'll go with it. The soldiers won't start training without my explicit approval, so even though we currently do not have much oil to spare, it is not a problem.

Besides, the 'Dex have ensured we won't be lacking in target practice very soon. :salute:

I think I'll construct an armory just east of the shooting range. For safety's sake.
2015_10_24_181607.jpg

And Kurt will be building his to the south. We want all ways of entry covered.

They finish in a couple of minutes. Before we can thank them and shoot them in the back, there is an interesting transmission...
2015_10_24_181845.jpg

7_Gensher.jpg
- (over radio) This is Dietrich Genscher, from United Preservation Force. The Arabs! Tell me comrade, since when did Red Army employ mercenaries?
Gorky.jpg
- (into radio) Go screw yourself, Genscher.
Ah, Burlak, ever the diplomat. :hug:
7_Gensher.jpg
- (over radio) I am not fond of these deserters, comrade. I shall make an example of them. You hand them over, I will pay you well.

Now, 'well', in Genscher's understanding, translates into 100 of each resourse, which is not much at all. However, we lack crates, and the Alaskite production has been sub-par due to the late discovery of the deposit. And we didn't mean to give Heike away in any case...
2015_10_24_181911.jpg

What says you, Codex?
As always, 'screw everyone' remains an option. We only have 3 'dosers for combat vehicles, but some of you would probably say it only makes the upcoming slaughter more perfect. :M

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
If you can accept their offer and then tell them to fuck off afterwards then do it. Regardless, waifu stays with comrade Rance.

Nevill

Arcane
If you can accept their offer and then tell them to fuck off then do it.
Yes, that's what I meant. We can even wait for them to unload their resourses, first - just like we've made Kurt build the barracks. :troll:

Black

Arcane
They give you resources, you give them bullets, seems fair to me
:communism:

Nevill

Arcane
Mission 8. Blood for the Blood God.
I guess that had to be expected, the 'Dex being the 'Dex. Let's try to make the best out of it.

Kurt reports that his job is complete right as Genscher's goons bring their ransom.
2015_10_24_212010.jpg

8_kurt.jpg
- This is our part complete. Now you take Heike to the big rock to the west. Somebody will be waiting for her.

No, Kurt, now is the part where we do our best impression of an evil laugh.
2015_10_24_212242.jpg

8_Arab.jpg
- I am sent by major Genscher. Where are the deserters?
8_kurt.jpg
- Shit! The commie bastard betrayed us! Run!

He tries to, he really does, but he does not get far before the 'dozer presses him into the armory.
2015_10_24_212314.jpg

8_kurt.jpg
- I knew we should never have trusted commies. You'll pay for this with your balls, comrade!

Bold words from someone who is about to lose his. The goons catch up to him, and he changes colors, signifying his 'capture'. But it does not stop the 'dozer from squashing him... which now counts as an assault on the mercenary team.
2015_10_24_212349.jpg

7_Gensher.jpg
- I never should have trusted you, you commie bastard! You’ll pay for this a thousand times!

Eh, I think you are the third person - after Heike and Kurt - I hear it from in the last couple of months. I am yet to see the bill. :M

Each man on Genscher's team is assigned a personal 'dozer, and things are going quite well... until we are attacked by Kurt's friends. A whole lot of them.
2015_10_24_212403.jpg

And from the west, too! For now, the monkeys are keeping them contained while I deal with the last man on the mercenary team - a medic, who, having a rare chance to outrun a 'dozer in a commotion decided that it would be a good idea to try and save one of his fallen comrades instead.
2015_10_24_212500.jpg

As it turned out, it was not. Being caught between two bulldozers must hurt like hell. So long, and thanks for the resourses. Come again! :cool:
2015_10_24_212631.jpg

And professor Scholtze reports a new discovery. Splendid!

Shultze.jpg
- Comrade commander, the Americans use a computer to drive their vehicles. I've explored this and have a working prototype ready.
Gorky.jpg
- How good is it?
Shultze.jpg
- A lot better than the Yankee crap, but not nearly as good as vehicles driven by mechanics. I am sure we can improve it.

Primary objective received:
- Build at least one computer controlled vehicle.

Kurt is still alive, though he is bleeding profusely. I wonder if he won't change his tune now after being taught a lesson in humility. Medic, help him stand.
2015_10_24_214751.jpg

What do you say about our balls now, eh, pal?
2015_10_24_215035.jpg

8_kurt.jpg
- Enjoy that, comrade!? Unless you want more, take Heike to the big rock to the west. It is up to you. (Attacks will continue until all mercenaries are eliminated or until player releases Heike.)

Never mind, shoot him again, for good this time. :M

Speaking of Heike - yeah, she got upset. She is throwing a tantrum and shooting at our lab. Who thought it was a good idea to leave prisoner a weapon? It is good that engineers only get pea-shooters that do not do any real damage, but leave her unsupervised for a few minutes and she may start a small fire or something.

By the way - the reason she is targeting the lab is because Gorky is inside. She will now follow him across the map, trying to tickle him to death with her air pistol. Maybe that's just the way she shows her appreciation of our abilities as a commander, and it marks a beginning of a beautiful relationship? :hug:

Her pals are really annoying, though, especially when they set up shop right outside the armory range.
2015_10_24_220125.jpg

I think this would be a good time to put prof. Scholtze's invention to good use - I can't risk my engineers to repair a building under a constant bombardment, and they would be less effective than a specialized vehicle anyway. And I can't afford to have people constantly on a repair duty, so an automated crane is a natural choice. With the two of them we can stabilize.

Scholtze is on fire today!
2015_10_24_220907.jpg

Shultze.jpg
- (very excited) Comrade commander! We've made tremendous discovery. We can force the Alaskite to transport large objects great distances.
Gorky.jpg
- Could we send tanks into enemy base?
Shultze.jpg
- Not yet, maybe later. For now we can get broken vehicles out of enemy fire. Many lives are lost trying to repair them during battle. We call this spontaneous transportation – it requires only a small device.
Gorky.jpg
- Sounds excellent. I would like to try it.

- Test limited spontaneous teleportation.

This, actually, is one of the more important advances. Since the Soviets do not have remote technology and have to drive their vehicles personally, their chances of preserving a damaged vehicle - or their lives - iimprove drastically when it is teleported away from the frontlines where it can be safely repaired. This is a second technology, after a personal stasis field, that aims to improve our survivability. As long as we win encounters, regardless of the damage we sustain in the process, we should be fine.

Kurt's people are coming in waves every 30 seconds. The fighting simply doesn't stop. Sometimes two waves spawn simultaneously, causing some really nasty surprises as we don't seem to get rid of them faster than they arrive, or repair faster than they dish out the hurt.
2015_10_24_221013.jpg

I order a third crane to be constructed - if the southern armory falls, we are going to be in a lot of trouble, and with the simultaneous attacks from two directions my forces are already spread too thin. I even order a gatling vehicle (finally!), just to have more tools for dealing with the infantry. Thankfully, my enemies are all low-level grunts, so even while being outnumbered 2-to-1 we still stand a chance.

With the repairs taken care of by the computers, I can finally let my men relax and shoot some barrels when shooting mercenaries gets stale. :M
2015_10_24_221059.jpg

My people got so used to the constant carnage around them that they don't think of it as an emergency anymore.
2015_10_24_222041.jpg

5_Karamazov.jpg
- Our work here is almost complete, comrade commander. We could go hunting for target practice.
Gorky.jpg
- I suppose it is possible.
5_Karamazov.jpg
- There's plenty of game around here. I, for one, would like to try.

Again, I am given a choice. And again, I agree. There is no harm in having a little fun... right?
2015_10_24_222051.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- I have too much work myself. You can go. But do not be long.
Uh, comrade, when I heard you say 'hunting' I thought you would go to the woods, not hide behind a tree in our base and stalk our domesticated ostrichs!
2015_10_24_222324.jpg

And I certainly did not expect you to casually walk between my armory and enemy soldiers in the middle of an ongoing fight. Do 20+ bodies not look like a danger sign to you?
2015_10_24_222504.jpg

Do you even realize how lucky you were not to have another wave of kebabs spawning on top of you?
2015_10_24_230954.jpg

Sure, let's take a walk in the western forest, which serves as a second spawning point for the enemies. The game is more important, right?
2015_10_24_230715.jpg

And then walk right into the American snipers. Damn adrenaline junkies! Some people are just too stupid to live. :argh:
2015_10_24_231304.jpg

Having miraculously avoided being shot in the process, the soldier returns to the base, happy and content.
I believe it is time for us to erect some fortifications on the eastern side as well. Besides, making 3 automated turrets is one of the objectives.
2015_10_24_232044.jpg

As we near the end of our research programme, there are more requests from my people.
2015_10_24_232539.jpg

8_Kapits.jpg
- Comrade commander, the results of research are fascinating. The possibilities are endless. But I am too exhausted to work quickly now. May I take temporary leave? Not for long I promise!
8_titov.jpg
- Burlak, do you think you can do without me for a short while now? I'll be back soon.

Eh, I am not a slave driver. As long as you do not go full retard, as the hunter did, and avoid the hot spots.
2015_10_24_232556.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- All right, you two. But not for long!

They walk off the map and we won't be seeing them for a while. No matter, I have enough people as it is.
2015_10_24_232644.jpg

As I produce more vehicle, Nikita Kozlov - you might remember him as a scientist who got kidnapped by the Legion mercenaries and was forced to work on creating a Siberite rocket for them - comes forward with a proposal.
8_Kozlov.jpg
- Comrade major, we now have many kinds of weapons produced. We would like you to select a vehicle as your own. It will bring hope to our soldiers when they know you are present. It will also strike fear in the enemy.
Gorky.jpg
- (moved) Thank you comrades. I hope I won't disappoint you. My tank will be called Masha and always be in the frontline!
tumblr_mel1piEHHr1qzw0zeo1_250.gif
- Select your personal vehicle.

We get to choose a personal tank for our commander! More on that later - currently we do not have a good selection of vehicles to choose from.
2015_10_24_233702.jpg

There are only 2 buildings left to build and 2 tanks to manufacture. However, I am starting to hurt for crates, and new shipments are awfully rare. Perhaps I should not have constructed as many repair cranes as I did...

Since our research is done here, maybe they won't notice if I dismantle the labs...? :M

Oh, look, now we have enough crates for a workshop!
2015_10_25_000501.jpg

Why am I building a workshop, you ask, if I already have one? Why, because having all workshop extensions built is one of the mission objectives, because there are six extensions in total (tracked, non-combat, computer, alaskite, gun, and rocket one), and because one workshop can only fit five! Which means I have to expend another 120 crates for a simple formality!

I have to dismantle one of my power plants to do that. Some 'pride of every Russian soldier' this base turns out to be! :decline::negative:
2015_10_25_010925.jpg

And now that I have the extension... they didn't say anything about having two workshops, right? I can dismantle is back for crates! Nobody told me that the extension should be working - only that it should be built!

With the new crates we can afford one more vehicle, and build the last structure - the Alaskite power plant! The base is ugly as hell, disfunctional in places, and has no research capacity - but that is not our concern anymore. The plan was met, comrades!
2015_10_25_003149.jpg

Popov_Radio.jpg
- (over radio) Your task is almost finished Gorky, but there are Yanks heading your way. Show them what the Red Army can do!

We are given about a minute to prepare. Gorky finally abandons the factory he was hiding in from Heike's murderous affections, and gets into a vehicle. Brace yourselves!
2015_10_25_003239.jpg

And the do come - simultaneously, from all directions. From the south...
2015_10_25_003304.jpg

From the east...
2015_10_25_003424.jpg

From the west. Though we do not have enough vehicles there to accurately spot their numbers.
2015_10_25_003458.jpg

But our base has withstood the near constant Arabian attacks for half an hour now. We are fully prepared to deal with the threat. And so they fall, in the south...
2015_10_25_003339.jpg

In the east...
2015_10_25_003538.jpg

And in the west. The Arabs taught us well how to deal with these incursions.
2015_10_25_003618.jpg

About a third of their force is comprised of snipers... which are devastating to the infantry and may kill an occasional driver, but completely ineffective against computer-controlled vehicles or buildings. Soon, it's all over, and Gorky declares victory, right as Heike - who followed him into the battle - tries to climb inside his tank to murder the shit out of him. Tell me it's not love. :love:
2015_10_25_003809.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- Victory is ours. Thank you, comrades. This base must never be taken.
Belkov_ghost.jpg
- I hope they enjoyed their visit to L. D. Trotsky.
Gnievko.jpg
- They learnt what Trotsky stands for. Victory over imperialist bastards!
8_titov.jpg
- So the base is baptised by blood.
5_Lipshchin.jpg
- So the first attack on our new base is over. And we are victorious!
5_Karamazov.jpg
- The base is no virgin any more!
5_Gleb.jpg
- That was the first attack. There will be more. We can count on it.
Popov_Radio.jpg
- Good work, comrade Burlak.

But before we can finish the mission, we still need to construct the last vehicle. I am certain that now that we have fended two major assaults, they will not dare to take another step inside our base for a long time... so we can - probably, maybe - scrap the armories. What's the worst that could happen? :M
2015_10_25_004018.jpg

Sure, the base will be left somewhat defenseless, but let that be a headache for the next commander. Our job here is done!
2015_10_25_011355.jpg

Mission accomplished.

+ Arab Barracks built. :cool:
+ Beautiful base. :lol:
+ Your people like you. :hug:

Is that an implicit confirmation that Heike likes us too? It's settled then. Tonight, at the depot! :bounce:

Intermission screen.
2015_10_25_011626.jpg

And the post-mission stats.
2015_10_25_011645.jpg

Almost 160 people killed. Looks like after half an hour they've run out of poor akbars to send after us. :M
What did we miss by not letting Heike go?
The foundation of the Legion, apparently.
Heike_Radio_Alter.jpg
- This is Heike Steyer, comrade commander.
Gorky.jpg
- What do you want, Heike? Did you miss me!?
Ah, I knew it, I knew it! We were right to have her stay with us! :hug:
Heike_Radio_Alter.jpg
- I am now part of the Legion, a group of disenchanted mercenaries. We are now what you might call ‘independent’.
Gorky.jpg
- So? Have you come to offer us discount rates!?
Heike_Radio_Alter.jpg
- We talk principle, then price. Americans are coming for you, Burlak. You pay us and we can hold them to the North.
Gorky.jpg
- Don’t push it, Heike. The Red Army does not hire mercenaries to fight its battles. Just be glad we let you live.

Or, alternatively...
Gorky.jpg
- Here come the Americans. Seems as though Legion aren’t as good as they think.
No shit, Sherlock - have you seen them trying to take our base and losing like a hundred people in the process? :lol:
5_Gleb.jpg
- I knew it. Dealing with mercenaries is always a bad idea. You lost 50 crates for nothing!

Well, it's not like the Legion requires Heike to be formed, so we didn't really alter the course of history. However, there will be some changes in the upcoming missions.
:avatard:
About our vehicles. We can choose a personal one to serve as a 'flagship' - it will persist between the missions, and we will always have it available at the start. One should thus be careful not to botch it. What do we have in stock?

Stats go like this: (Speed)/(Armor rating), (Damage vs. infantry)/(Damage vs. vehicles)/(Damage vs. buildings), measured at driver skill level 7, which is Gorky's current level.

Medium-sized vehicles:
1. Alaskite-powered, wheeled machine gun - 24/90, 66/39/26 - very fast vehicle that is perfect for scouting.
2. Alaskite-powered, tracked gatling gun - 18/102, 90/45/33 - good anti-infantry vehicle that could mow them down with ease and outrun enemy heavies.

Large-sized vehicles:
3. Alaskite-powered, tracked double gun 12/147, 49/98/73 - good balance between the stats, and the rotating turret can fire at the enemies even as the tank withdraws.
4. Alaskite-powered, tracked rocket launcher 12/147, 56/45/90 - mediocre combat stats against mobile targets, but the range allows it to stay out of trouble, and starting a mission with one often gives a way to harass enemy bases early (other tanks have to move closer to base defenses to shoot at them).
5. Oil-powered, tracked heavy gun 9/147, 49/135/98 - very destructive, but low mobility and a turret that can only fire ahead limit its uses somewhat. If it gets damaged, only limited teleportation can hope to save it - it can't defend itself while retreating.
6. Oil-powered, tracked bulldozer 9/147, 90/113/135 - 'nuff said. One of those at the beginning of the mission may open additional paths, but it isn't very good as a combat vehicle.

I can rework oil-powered engines and place Alaskite ones on the last two vehicles. It should improve their mobility somewhat, though they would still be the slowest out of the bunch. I can also make vehicles 3 and 4 medium-sized - it will improve their speed, but decrease the armor rating a bit. It might make sense for a rocket launcher that is not supposed to directly engage in combat... but they all do anyway.

So... vote away!

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Mission 9. Epsilon Chapter.

Interlude.
2015_10_25_123327.jpg

L. D. Trotsky base; August 25, 2 NR
The L. D. Trotsky base quickly became the heart of the Russian force. Moral is restored and the hunger for victory has returned.

This crippled installation is our new HQ now. What could possibly go wrong? Hey, who removed the useless extension in the middle of the base? And I went to such lengths to put it there, too!
2015_10_25_123347.jpg

Popov.jpg
- Intelligence reports have been confirmed, comrade Marshal. The Yanks and sheikhs have joined forces, researching weapons based on alaskite.
9_Yashin.jpg
- This cannot continue. We must maintain our lead in alaskite research. It is our one advantage over these bastards.
Popov.jpg
- Which is why I summoned comrade Gorky here.
Gorky.jpg
- You want me to sabotage their research?
Popov.jpg
- Precisely. It's carried out at the Yankee base Epsilon, North of here. There are scouts who will guide you to it. They’ve reported three places where you can base your men.
9_Yashin.jpg
- Take the best you have, comrade Gorky. Build your base and then attack. Wipe them out completely or they will simply start again somewhere else. You understand me?
Gorky.jpg
- Absolutely, comrade marshal.

And we draw the short straw once again. The price of being successful, I guess.
2015_10_25_123359.jpg

Vicinity of Epsilon base; August 26, 2 NR
Stopping the American alaskite research is imperative. Knowledge of this powerful mineral may be the Russians' single most important advantage and it must not fall into enemy hands.
Hmmm, why does the base name sound familiar?
2014_11_13_202702.jpg

East of Alpha Base; October 26, ERA + 1
General Powell decided that Americans would join their research programme with Arabs. Only time will judge the merit of this decision.

We might be revisiting these events once again, from the other side.
2014_11_14_221309.jpg

We have to choose, Codex.
Choose.jpg

Here are the maps, for relevance, both American and Russian.
am_10_cont.jpg

ru_09_cont.jpg
And while we are at it, select a team to go with us. There will only be five of us, so pick them carefully.
2015_10_25_123603.jpg

Once again, I am amazed at how overpowered Soviet scientists are. Just look at Kozlov's stats! :roll:

Things to note - some people have it easier learning certain things than others. Xavier may not look much, but he actually learns very fast, and have gained a good number of levels since he joined us two missions back - in fact, he is about to gain another one in mechanics soon, bringing him on par with Gorky. In comparison, Gnyevko, who has been with us since mission 1, is now better than Raul, but soon will be left behind due to severe exp costs for new level-ups. There does not seem to be a good way to separate these people from the rest other than by observation.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Nevill is on a roll today! For the vehicle, I vote for the bulldozer (with an Alaskite-powered engine for extra efficiency). That one is clearly the true protagonist of the Russian's campaign.
0814-10bulldozer.jpg

For the starting location... I dunno, South?
Lastly, for the team... Choose all of the best scientists if possible. SCIENCE is going to win the day.

Black

Arcane
Get yourself an alaskite large heavy gun, you deserve it. With high armour and Burlak's high mechanical skills it should somehow balance out its immobility.
Oh, and as for the mission choice

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Show them the power of Burlak! The smallest vehicle with the weakest weapon.

MZeta

Scholar
+1 for the alaskite powered dozer. It's too fitting to let go.

Yeah, dozer and dozer associated activities are now integral part of this LP. Hard to imagine more fitting flag ship for Burlak.

For team take Xavier, and go from east, as every russian army should have. :salute:

Nevill

Arcane
I see every one of you wants to screw me over in some way. Fine!

Bulldozers it is.
Warhammer_40000_Wh_Photoshop_1.jpg

As for the direction of the attack, I'll have to roll a die on this one.

1) West
2) South
3) East

Edit: huh, never tried that direction before. Should be interesting, as we will start right on top of the Americans. A shame we have nothing to actually shoot them with. :M

Nevill

Arcane
Completed an hour-long mission in 10 minutes. Well, 10 in-game minutes - it took me an hour and about 100 reloads real-time. My last savegame is called 'Save86'. Yeah. :roll:

I... didn't know it was possible. I still don't know if I can even repeat this, as it requires some pixel-precision movements, AI logic abuse, pathfinding exploits and LOS manipulation.

I think I have adrenaline overdoze right now. No sceenshots were taken, but I have about two dozens savegames. I will try to recreate the epic feat.

I had two people killed by American snipers, which made the last part of the mission pure hell as I didn't have enough DPS - hey, I was walking inside insanely fortified enemy base with 4 guys and a bulldozer, ok? - but I think it would be possible to do this without casualties.

Took an all-scientist team on the mission - and Raul - but in the end had to use them as soldiers. :lol:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I am taking screenshots now. Just a preview of what kind of base we are dealing with here. :M
2015_10_26_235640.jpg

Update will be done tomorrow... probably.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom