Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play: Oblivion - Shiverwinter Islepeaks

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Oblivion-1.jpg

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
LOLZ KC YOU DA MAN

I'm actually replaying Obliblion with FCOM and yesterday I've heard a mudcrab dialogue and my first thought was "what a stupid easter egg oh wai..."

Micmu

Magister
Actually, much worse NPC-NPC dialogue is the one with constant game tips "join <faction> by <instructions>". Or the "do you think what happened to <town> can happen to us?" while standing right next to the hell gate outside town. Marvelous!

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
This and NPCs raking floor in a pub. I really have to mention the stupid pop-ups - I was looking for whereabouts of some individual and when I found the letter containing this information the first thing was the pop-up explaining what I yet had to read! R00fles!

bozia2012 said:
This and NPCs raking floor in a pub. I really have to mention the stupid pop-ups - I was looking for whereabouts of some individual and when I found the letter containing this information the first thing was the pop-up explaining what I yet had to read! R00fles!

Check my first post itt, I heard a rumour about a mysterious island while all alone at the bottom of a spike pit

bat_boro

Arcane
"Check my first post itt, I heard a rumour about a mysterious island while all alone at the bottom of a spike pit"

Everything has a logic explanation, you just have to think about it a little. I mean, you're in the realm of madness, right? So hearing all these voices in your head is just kind of... ordinary and usual, I guess.

You see? Pure design genious right there, I'm telling you!

Aegeri

Novice
When I played Oblivion, a long time ago, I remember getting some rumour or another while I was swimming at the bottom of a lake.

I did find that very funny.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Aegeri said:
When I played Oblivion, a long time ago, I remember getting some rumour or another while I was swimming at the bottom of a lake.

I did find that very funny.

Was it about Nemo?

Could not connect to the Codex for two weeks, had no particular drive to update through other means in that time. Thank you for keeping my thread alive with anxious queries about my well-being. Will update soonish

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
He's Admiral Rimjob! He joined a few months ago but sometimes writes good things.

And so, after a long hiatus, we finally enter the gates of Crucible.

ScreenShot114-2.jpg

ScreenShot115-1.jpg

Not bad. Not bad at all.
kingcomrade enters a bar called Sickly Bearnice's... something. Inn, alehouse, whatever. It's very big. There are no patrons. It looks rather melancholy. It turns out that Sickly Bearnice is, in fact, sickly, and will die soon. It is not explained why she went to the effort of getting her pub renamed to advertise that fact instead of, say, looking for the cure, but I suppose that's madness for you.
Though she doesn't actually seem mad. Well, that's Bethesda for you, then.
She sends our hero off to some dungeon to fetch the cure for her. Along the way, kingcomrade encounters a Hunger.

ScreenShot116-1.jpg

They looked cuter in Morrowind.
Anyway, kingcomrade spots the dungeon, and enters in order to plunder its sacred pools. It's a fairly generic dungeon, again, much like the last tree-rooty one with the Grummites.

ScreenShot117-2.jpg

ScreenShot120-2.jpg

ScreenShot121-2.jpg

Jesus Christ I barely knew what I was doing there
The second and third entries were about two and a half seconds apart, incidentally, since acquiring the McGuffin involved simply walking off a ledge and clicking a statue on the way down.

Anyway, reward gained, kingcomrade finally makes his way to the Palace of Madness.

ScreenShot123-1.jpg

On the right, we have the Dark Seducer guard of Crucible, and on the left...

ScreenShot124-1.jpg

ScreenShot125-1.jpg

THAT IS NOT A GOLDEN SAINT WHAT IS THIS WHAT ARE YOU DOING

Anyway. Ho hum. Entering the palace.

ScreenShot126-1.jpg

ScreenShot127.jpg

He taps his feet and claps his hands in a (presumably) intentionally retarded manner as he says this. It's not a good start.
The dialogue itself proves equally dreadful. Basically, he tells me that I am his chosen champion, change is coming to the Shiverwinter lolpeaks in the form of the "Greymarch", and I am the only one who can stop it. To this end, I have to go to some remote dungeon and activate the "Resonator of Judgement". All through the dialogue, you're forced to repeat words like "change?" and "greymarch?" back at him like a moron, or, say, Solid Snake when someone mentions the words "Metal Gear".
Here are a few choice segments of dialogue.

ScreenShot128.jpg

ScreenShot129-1.jpg

ScreenShot130-1.jpg

ScreenShot131-1.jpg

ScreenShot132.jpg

When asked about "Sheogorath":
ScreenShot133-1.jpg

When asked about the Rooflepeaks:
ScreenShot134-1.jpg

ScreenShot135-1.jpg

ScreenShot136-1.jpg

ScreenShot137-1.jpg

I'll say one thing for Bethesda, they know their audience.
He's right, though. I didn't read it.

Anyway, kingcomrade fast travelled to the dungeon he visited earlier, which was fairly near this new place. Unfortunately, some uber-Grummite thing had decided to take up residence outside in my absence, and started firing arrows at him as he set off down the path. So our noble champion turned back for him.

ScreenShot138.jpg

Well, that was unexpected.
No idea where this fucker came from, but he laid kingcomrade out several times. I decided to try using the Nordic Frost racial power on him, which, uh... didn't do much damage, but caused him to run away.
Out of curiosity, and because he was heading in the direction of a nearby village icon, our suitably cowed hero decided to follow him. At a distance.

ScreenShot139-1.jpg

Yep, kingcomrade ascertained, he was definitely heading in there. Time to grab some popcorn.

ScreenShot140-1.jpg

A challenger appears

ScreenShot141.jpg

ScreenShot142-1.jpg

And the brave woman is slain, kingcomrade's eyes brimming with tears. He curses his own weakness, that this woman should die because he was unable to help, and this dark memory will drive him to become powerful, that none may ever die because of his lack of skill again. The monster turns to the two furries which shamelessly sat and watched as she was torn asunder, screaming for help. What goes around...

ScreenShot143-1.jpg

lol ok

Anyway, yeah, I reloaded and decided just to run like hell.

ScreenShot144-1.jpg

He eventually, er, decided to stop running and start shuffling slightly from side to side, holding his bow but not firing it. Good AI, that.

kingcomrade arrives at the dungeon. First impressions are...

ScreenShot146.jpg

More goddamn Grummites.

Slaying a Grummite (of course) mage, our hero recovers a mighty staff with a knob on the end.
ScreenShot147-1.jpg

And, uh, some... thing.

ScreenShot148-1.jpg

Next Grummite mage.

ScreenShot149-1.jpg

Oh god it's that thing that kept killing me earlier help

ScreenShot150.jpg

ScreenShot151-1.jpg

It falls to the unfailing strategy of running backwards while firing arrows into it with a rocket launcher, and kingcomrade kontinues on.

Last mage.

ScreenShot152-1.jpg

ScreenShot153-1.jpg

Yes yes I know

Oh, and the things you're supposed to put the crystals in? They're literally about three feet away from the mage. I turn around, and there it is.

ScreenShot154-1.jpg

Well, at least it's not dragging this out too much, so I can't complain.

ScreenShot155-1.jpg

ScreenShot156-1.jpg

This objective is so complicated, it takes two popups!

also shiny

ScreenShot157.jpg

On my way out, I run into this charming chap. I've heard about this quest, and was kind of looking forward to it.

ScreenShot158.jpg

ScreenShot159.jpg

ScreenShot160.jpg

Basically, I have to either drive a party of adventurers insane, or kill them all. How do I do that? Press one of two buttons in each chamber. How interactive.

For this first room, there's one of those Gnarl things in the center. I can either command a swarm of Gnarl midgets to attack, killing (presumably) one of them, or cause the Gnarl to grow to massive size and convince them it's going to kill them all through giving them LSD or something.

ScreenShot161.jpg

ScreenShot162.jpg

ScreenShot163.jpg

ScreenShot164.jpg

ScreenShot165.jpg

Um.

Yeah, if you're going to go utterly insane because you run into a monster which changes its size, what the fuck are you doing in the Shivering Isles? What the fuck are you doing in a fantasy game in general? WHY ARE YOU AN ADVENTURER?
Oh well.

Next room. I don't bother consulting the guide, since the buttons are self-explanatory. My choices here are "fire trap" and "drop keys". The latter sounds like it may lead to something deliciously lewd, so I go for that.

ScreenShot166.jpg

ScreenShot167.jpg

ScreenShot168.jpg

Oh I see where this is going.
And I cringe.

ScreenShot169.jpg

ScreenShot170.jpg

ScreenShot171.jpg

What. The. Shit.

ScreenShot172.jpg

hahaha! HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I get it.

Last room. Full of hanging bodies. Options are "raise dead", presumably through powerful necromancy, and "ghost illusion".

ScreenShot173.jpg

ScreenShot174.jpg

ScreenShot175.jpg

Okay that's probably the only reasonable excuse to fall into insanity. Really, if seeing big monsters as an adventurer and not being able to find your keys can reduce you to a babbling wreck, I'm kind of worried about the effect playing this shit is going to have on me.

ScreenShot176.jpg

Ran into these kiddies on the way out. Put up a fairly reasonable fight. The dungeon keeper person claims they're "Knights of Order", and I should tell Sheogorath about them immediately.
Okay. I will. Just leave me alone. I've had enough. Please leave me alone.

Lumpy

Arcane
I don't get it. This doesn't look like a Daedric realm, but rather more like a Tamrielic country of Sheogorath Worshippers.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lumpy said:
I don't get it. This doesn't look like a Daedric realm, but rather more like a Tamrielic country of Sheogorath Worshippers.

It's supposed to be "crazy", so... they just tried to reuse their Morrowind art concepts, I think.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
This is one of the most entertaining LP Threads I have seen. That's how it's done people.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
and someone here claimed SI improved OB story...bs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom