Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play: Nox!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Nox is a hack and slash from the year 2000, done by Westwood. It also happens to provide buckets of fun. We will be going through MASSIVE DUNGEONS! We shall find a fuckton of SECRET AREAS! We will be looting WAGONS OF STUFF! We shall thwack UNDEAD! Smack OGRES! Burn the fuck out of SWAMP CREATURES! DROP MASSIVE MARBLE BROFISTS AT ALL OUR ENEMIES (and ourselves) OH GOD ITS HEAVAN

There was a LP on the 'dex a few years ago, but it didn't get out of the introduction, and I doubt it's gonna be rezzed anyway, so here it goes :M

(sorry lightbane, Grom is still in the freezer M:)

Here's the intro, where you witness Jack Albert Tokaj, the protagonist, getting sucked into the warp by his hellish TV, and leaving his peaceful shelter Gloreh into the reaches of the fantasy land Nox.

nox0005.jpg

Here's our protagonist. Dressed in typical white and red colours of the Afterfall project.

But not so fast, criminal scum! We cannot start the game just yet! Nox is a True RPG (TM), so you get to do the C&C of choosing a class at the start.

There are three classes to choose from:

nox0002.jpg

A big strong man, aka the warrior. Warriors use no magic at all, but have a handful of special abilities and can make all the bad things go away with constant application of hueg metal weapons. They use the best armour and waffen in game, but have limited ranged capabilities, since they can only throw shurikens (and later boomerang-like chakrums), but who gives a fuck since you can go up close and personal.

nox0003.jpg

Next are the conjurers. The furfags of Nox, they make a living by summoning and charming wild beasts to their cause. They have access to sort of druidic magic, charm/summon beasts as meatshields, as well as summon 'bombers', which you infuse with a couple of boom spells and make them go ALLAH AKBAR. Best armour they can use is leather, for melee weapons they can only bash stuff with staves. However, they are experts at ranged combat, since they can use OP bows and crossbows.

nox0004.jpg

Last ones are the pencilheads. MAXIMUM DESTRUCTION with spells, but you're fucked if you run out of mana. No weapons except for staves (and magic staves that shoop various spells). No armour other than robes. Glass cannons, squishy as fuck, but we'll be throwing fireballs at fuckers like there's no tomorrow. Can also lay down traps, which are like stationary versions of the conjurer's bombers.

You can also read from the descriptions, that the starting locations are different for each class. Yup, that is also a very cool thing about Nox. All three classes are actually separate campaigns, sort of, and while they share most of the game's chapters, many of them are very different depending on the class, and some even downright exclusive. This, combined with completely different ways of playing, gives the game really cool replay value.

I'll leave the voting open for an unspecified bit of time. Choose wisely.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Nice one, I remember enjoying this game when it came out. I completed it as a wizard so I'd suggest: such an extreme individual as Tokaj should bring BRO back to fantasyhomoland. Be a muscular man.

Though the summoner is the second best choice. Keeping contact with Warp demons and stuffies. :M

pipka

Savant
Played all three. Conjurer (for letting minions do the dirty work) or Wizard (he gets the bitch in the end). Fighter is dull as fuck and he gets Cloud's swords avoid like hell.

Go for the Conjurer.

lightbane

Arcane
(sorry lightbane, Grom is still in the freezer M:)

:x

Well, Nox is good enough :love:. Obviously, the starting class must be the Wizard, it's the most :obviously: of all.

I know this game like my five fingers, so i'm not very interesting in this LP, but good luck anyway, Darth Rocks-on.
Mang, look at those portraits, this game has very juicy fantasy style. Every fantasy game should be like it.
Here, made some avatars that you can use on 'dex, even tho the forum will crop them slightly:
warrior_small.png
conjurer_small.png
wizard_small.png

Oh, and i vote for Wizard.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Looks like we'll be going the yiff way. Predictable :rpgcodex:

Fighter is dull as fuck

Wouldn't say so. No spells often makes up for some interesting shit (and going 'HHHHNNNNNNGGGGGG' into a mob with berserker charge is always hilarious), the wide weapon variety is p cool and makes the game keep being non-stale, and paradoxically, you probably have to be the most careful of all classes because gear breaks so bleedin' fast, you have to monitor it 24/7 and carry an assload of auxiliary guns and armour. Also, warrior has by far the best Castle Galava chapter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom