Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play NetStorm!

RandomLurker

Scholar
You call that update huge? MY UPDATES ARE BIGGER THAN YOURS!!!

But seriously, good job. Now I guess it's time for you to show everyone the wonderful world of the third campaign, so good luck. Also, speaking of the third campaign, I somehow managed to miss this little comment:

[Mission 10] is the first, and also last, mission where we have an ally with us and it really makes the playing much more enjoyable.

Yeah, that's not exactly true, as you'll see soon enough :).

catfood

AGAIN
Get ready as we delve deep within the black unknown that is the third campaign. These missions are almost unknown to me. I say "almost" because when I played it all thse years ago I entered the cheat that opens up all of the levlels. I haven't played these last 5 a lot since I thought that if I couldn't even finish the first ones I couldn't possbile handle the last. Let's begin.

mis12pic1.jpg

Looks like our priest is neck deep in shit and it's our job to save his sorry ass.

mis12pic2.jpg

Sounds simple? No? Well maybe we got some cool tech that can help us in our quest.

mis12pic3.jpg

Hmm.. not bad.. those ice cannons and ice towers look like they may prove useful however we also got some sun units aswell. Who knows maybe we'll make use of them.

mis12pic4.jpg

There's our stupid priest who got himself stuck on a bridge peace. Just what the hell was he doing so close to the enemy island? Sleepwalking?

mis12pic5.jpg

Priest.gif
Gee sure is nice up here, I wonder why the other priests we sacrificed looked so scared when we scooped them up, these things look completely safe.

At least he gets a nice view of his altar while up there in the air ship. I wonder if they have any movies on that flight.

mis12pic6.jpg

The usual bridging technique. It won't prevent red from gathering crystals since he has airships at his disposal but at least it'll contain him.

mis12pic7.jpg

Looks like our mining expedition is getting harrassed by dust devils so taking care of them is our first priority. I'm using crabs in this mission which cost 100 more than golems but are more durable and are faster. Plus we haven't used them until now so they needed a bit of love too.

mis12pic8.jpg

As you can see I'm building a second bridge branch just underneath the first one. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT OK

mis12pic9.jpg

Yea the first branch is going to hold ice towers while the one below is going to hold generators and attackers.

mis12pic10.jpg

I'm begining to like the icetowers a lot. I mean they aren't THAT durable but unless they are attacked by thunder cannons they should hold out for quite some time. Not to mention that it's nice not having to constantly rebuild them. I also build choppa bases for air support.

mis12pic11.jpg

But we need to act fast, who knows when red might move his fat ass over to the altar to sacrifice our priest.

Priest.gif
It's cool guys, I'm just chillin'. Take your time.

mis12pic12.jpg

In a stroke of tactical brilliance and genius which was like totally not dumb luck I build an ice cannon directly in front of red's priest so he won't be able to escape. Unless red builds a tower in front of him. Which he won't do because the AI in this game is dumb as a brick.

mis12pic13.jpg

I place a crab into position ready to make a run for red's high priest. I could have just walked it around that edge farm on the left but where's the excitement in that?

mis12pic14.jpg

An enemy priest has been captured!

mis12pic15.jpg

It is the crab's finest hour. It's now time for the crab race to show to the world what it is capable of and wash all the shame that has been caused by Bethesda's stupid mudcrabs. No longer shall the lowly crab be the laughing stock of all invertebrates.

FACT: Netstorm's crystal crabs > Bethesduh's mud crabs.

I also get an artistic shot of the destroyed wind workshop.

mis12pic16.jpg

Don't worry, Your Holiness! Help is on it's way!

Priest.gif
WAIT YOU IDIOTS

mis12pic17.jpg

Priest.gif
Thank's a lot jackasses, now I have a 10 foot crossbow bolt sticking up my ass.

Ooopsie...

NOTE: you will see that the wind towers are in flames even though I attacked them from their invulnerable side. That is because of the icenannon's ricocheting projectiles.

mis12pic18.jpg

Priest.gif
Since red went through all that trouble to make my stay pleasent I belive it's time to return the favor...

mis12NOOO.jpg

... by offering him a stylish ritual.

mis12success.jpg

They molest holy men in the skies?

Anyway this was a fun mission. It's actually a bit decieving since it tricks you into beliveing that YOU HAVE TO MOVE YOUR ASS QUICK BEFOR YOU PRIEST GETS SACRIFICED, but this is not the case. As you can see from the timer we were already well within the 25 minute mark when we destroyed red's temple so it's safe to say we had probably another good 10 minutes before he would start his ritual.

RandomLurker

Scholar
As you can see from the timer we were already well within the 25 minute mark when we destroyed red's temple so it's safe to say we had probably another good 10 minutes before he would start his ritual.

More like aleph_0 minutes. I've never seen him actually start the ritual, and I tend to take my sweet time with strategy games, so it's a pretty good bet that he never actually does that without there being a glitch or something. It's possible that destroying the altar and then letting the priest get recaptured could trigger it, but I've never had a reason to try that.

Oh, and I believe that the next mission is the one with the friendly AI. The 4th mission in this campaign also technically has a friendly AI player, but that's such a special case that I don't think it should count.

catfood

AGAIN
Oh, and I believe that the next mission is the one with the friendly AI.
You're only half right. It's a friendly something, but definitely not an AI. AI's usually do something other than STAY IN PLACE WITH THEIR THUMBS UP THEIR ASSES WHILE THE OPPONENTS PUMMEL THEM INTO OBLIVION. Get ready for another long wait.

RandomLurker

Scholar
catfood said:
You're only half right. It's a friendly something, but definitely not an AI. AI's usually do something other than STAY IN PLACE WITH THEIR THUMBS UP THEIR ASSES WHILE THE OPPONENTS PUMMEL THEM INTO OBLIVION.

Yeah, there was a reason I didn't end that "only mission with an ally" quote before "and having the ally really makes it enjoyable!" :lol:. But no, there's an AI in play there - it may be neutered, but it's there. If you wish to see how an allied computer player without any AI looks like, wait until mission 4 :P.

Oh, and if I remember mission 2 correctly, there should be some bridge connection (right from the start or soon after that, through geysers most probably) between the allied island and the enemies. You could conceivably use this to your advantage - your construction beams don't care how they're traveling, as long as they can get to their destination, and I believe that allied power and land count as yours for construction purporses. I remember using this trick in this mission to "quickly" reinforce the allied positions (those beams still had to travel for a long time), so I guess that could help a bit (especially if you get sun barricades, which I'm not sure if you do - hey, it's been a long time).

barnEbiss

Novice
Since there is already a topic about netstorm I thought I would post these screenshots here :)

game3z.jpg

game4i.jpg

gamefun.jpg

I am working with a few fans from the NetstormHQ website on a remake of NS but in 3D. if you guys want to check the main page out our site is here
http://risingstormhq.com/news.php

odrzut

Arcane
Looks great. There was free linux clone in making a few years ago, but it disapperaerd.

DraQ

Arcane
You know what guys?

I would really appreciate NS more if it was TB.

Would appreciate game extending its idea by for example going actual 3D - not just graphics, but gameplay - multilevel islands, layers of bridges, floating towers connecting them, maybe crossing it with something like Stratosphere.

: postingdrankontehcockdex :

Also, foul necromancy.

Destroid

Arcane
You can download the 3d remake now. Although I don't really see the point unless it's hard to get the 2d running on modern systems, regardless, NetStorm is a very fun game.

catfood

AGAIN
Heh. My old let's play. It seems like ages ago....Those were different times.

Now I'm all nostalgic. :(

You can download the 3d remake now. Although I don't really see the point unless it's hard to get the 2d running on modern systems, regardless, NetStorm is a very fun game.

I can't believe they are still working on this. I thought for sure it would go vaporware. And it looks like wind is still the most OP power as always. They are keeping it real. :salute:

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
Looks like decline. Played this once and can't believe 3D isn;t annoying. 2D > 3D in games like this, and no, ortographic view isn't an option.

barnEbiss

Novice
Gentlemen the project is still going strong and we are getting ready for a new release with a bunch more content added in :) here is a screenshot showing the islands with basic undersides added onto them so islands are no longer flat! we will have to adjust the undersides textures and detail maps so it matches the sides!

This screenshot shows me playing the other guy on our development team sun vs thunder :)
Againstthemightofthunder.jpg

barnEbiss

Novice
Also it is our intention to allow the player to set his preferred camera view currently player is able to rotate world view in free 3D view and zoom in and out, but we also plan to have a fixed camera angle option that allows a player to just have view in standard NS classic top down view.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I loved this game when I was a kid. Only two missions I couldn't finish. One was the last one, which was annoying since you got access to the entire tech tree, something I waited for the entire game. I got rid of the immediate danger but didn't have the resources to obliterate rain so it always ended in a stalemate. The other one was, I believe, the second mission of the last campaign. I can't even find a walkthrough for it but I believe you had to rescue a dumbfuck ally and I just couldn't do it in time.

catfood

AGAIN
The other one was, I believe, the second mission of the last campaign. I can't even find a walkthrough for it but I believe you had to rescue a dumbfuck ally and I just couldn't do it in time.
Yup, got stuck on that one as well. Which is why I haven't completed this LP. That mission fucking sucks so much, you're getting pounded by thunder cannons from two sides and even if you manage to get your defenses up your ally gets wasted in the meantime. Seriously fuck up man.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom