Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Mysteries of Westgate (Finished - again)

catfood

AGAIN
This game looks pretty good so far unlike the train wreck that is the OC. Might as well install it again and give this little expansion a try.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Yeah, it probably doesn't matter much after all. You just have to wait until you get the right essence for your recipe. I thought it's best to make a holy +3 twohander for mantides (emerald and diamond needed you can buy or find early on). Cleric chick can use magic vestment, magic weapon to enchant her stuff and Mantides armor. other than that you'll probably end using bought stuff. The druid sells a nice leather armor iirc. You will find a beljuril for a +8 item but only exactly before the endgame, and you would have to backtrack then to actually craft it.

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Yeah, it probably doesn't matter much after all. You just have to wait until you get the right essence for your recipe. I thought it's best to make a holy +3 twohander for mantides (emerald and diamond needed you can buy or find early on). Cleric chick can use magic vestment, magic weapon to enchant her stuff and Mantides armor. other than that you'll probably end using bought stuff. The druid sells a nice leather armor iirc. You will find a beljuril for a +8 item but only exactly before the endgame, and you would have to backtrack then to actually craft it.

Indeed. I finished the game with mostly +3 items, without too much effort. The fights are only difficult if you tackle them too early, which can happen easily, at least in the beginning, and in the arena.

Kthan75

Liturgist
catfood said:
This game looks pretty good so far unlike the train wreck that is the OC. Might as well install it again and give this little expansion a try.

I found the beginning rather slow, actually. It gets much better towards the end, you should give it a try.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Kthan75 said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

Indeed. I finished the game with mostly +3 items, without too much effort. The fights are only difficult if you tackle them too early, which can happen easily, at least in the beginning, and in the arena.

I didn't have too much problems in the arena (but I played a sorcerer), single competition was easiy incl. the vampire knight. The fight vs the dukes can vary in difficulty I suppose. First time I was already lvl13, it's trivial then, Word of Faith from Charissa immediately wins you the fight. Second time I tried it at lvl10 but got owned, I reloaded and used a scroll I had found : Gate. That was enough to win because all their summons would panic because of the fear aura of the devil, and the devil himself was a big help in the fight too.

I think the most problems I had was fighting the duergar with the essence of Laduguer. I had an ECL race and no spell penetration on my Sorc and tried it pretty early (lvl10/11). That fight was a bitch.

Kthan75

Liturgist
Part 3: "Leads" from the Church of Lathander

In the last update we got a new task from Obid to help the City Watch with an assassin who had been set free by his family's connections.

We go to captain Fennesh at the City Watch to get more details
nwn2main2009-09-1116-08-12-37.jpg

d01.jpg

d02.jpg

d03.jpg

d04.jpg

d05.jpg

d06.jpg

Mantides.jpg
I know this Darius Falgar. He's a regular at the Bent Mermaid. If we mean to hung him down, we should start there.

We go to the Bent Mermaid Inn, which is also in the Arena district, nearby.
nwn2main2009-09-1116-13-02-35.jpg

d07.jpg

d08.jpg

Can you believe this guy?

Rinara.jpg
It could be a while before this fool decides to leave. I think we can safely watch him from that table over there.
Charissa.jpg
Listen? That's your plan?... I don't think so. Let's just go demand the answers from him.
Rinara.jpg
And when he says nothing? Because that's what's going to happen...
Charissa.jpg
That's what my fist is for.

I'm all for killing that idiot, but subtlety can be more useful in this case, so let's listen

CodeXia.jpg
I think we should just listen for now.
Rinara.jpg
I'll buy us a round. We can nurse our drinks while we keep an eye on Falgar. By the time the boy leaves, e'll be too drunk to notice us following him.

So we wait...
nwn2main2009-09-1116-14-17-68.jpg

Falgar is enjoying himself.

After a few hours, he's finally drunk and ready to leave to his secret meeting.
nwn2main2009-09-1116-15-06-15.jpg

We follow him around to a nearby warehouse.
nwn2main2009-09-1116-15-40-98.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-1116-18-39-15.jpg

A bunch of guys show up, who are apparently calling the shots here.
nwn2main2009-09-1116-18-53-56.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-1116-19-08-56.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-1116-19-25-87.jpg

[Intelligence] So this is some kind of initiation ritual for Night Masks.

nwn2main2009-09-1116-19-41-17.jpg

Falgar is in for a little surprise...

nwn2main2009-09-1116-19-54-17.jpg

And of course, the place will be filled with assassins and traps...

nwn2main2009-09-1116-20-07-34.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-1116-20-18-92.jpg

So Falgar really didn't kill that guy, but took credit for the kill. "Idiot" is a too small word.

nwn2main2009-09-1116-20-24-26.jpg

This bald guy quickly kills Falgar. So, quest is over?
Ah, wait, there's still the matter of getting out of this place.

After a couple of fights we must walk through a couple of rooms filled with acid gas and continuous explosions.
nwn2main2009-09-1116-20-24-27.jpg

In the final room we find this guy again.
nwn2main2009-09-1116-32-39-32.jpg

This makes perfect fucking sense, since we're going to kill them anyway.
:twisted:

nwn2main2009-09-1116-33-10-12.jpg

Sorry for this screen, only noticed much later and had no close save to make another

We get to ask a question also:
nwn2main2009-09-1116-33-29-28.jpg

FACT: this is the opposite of meta-gaming. Meaning, this is character knowledge, not player knowledge. When we went to Altama, we could only have that conversation, and after refusing her alliance, we are immediately kicked out. But the character *somehow* noticed the Fire Knives assassins who were hanging around at the place...

nwn2main2009-09-1116-33-37-65.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-1116-34-12-39.jpg

They pose no real threat, and after they're dead we return to captain Fennesh.

d09.jpg

d10.jpg

Asshole made us work for charity... He only gave a mere 300 gp.
d11.jpg

d12.jpg

d13.jpg

After this, we go see Obid.
nwn2main2009-09-1116-41-54-56.jpg

CodeXia.jpg
Once again, I've learned nothing of value. Your next lead had better bear fruit... or else.
Obid.jpg
But of course! I'm positive that you are getting closer to unveiling the secrets of the mask. My next task - uh, lead, will bring you into direct conflict with the Night Mask. I can feel that your salvation is close at hand, truly I can.
Right...
Obid.jpg
I am expecting the delivery of a magnificant - and very expensive - statue of Lathander. I had it commissioned recently. It truly is a magnificent representation of the Morninglord, worked in the finest gold!
The statue is being brought in by ship from Sembia, and is due to arrive shortly. However, I fear a possible raid by the Night Masks once the ship docks. A hero like you will have no trouble seeing off a group of those scoundrels, should they attack.
CodeXia.jpg
I fail to see how this benefits me.
Obid.jpg
If the Night Masks do make a move, you can be sure they'll send a high-level operative to coordinate the attack. Such individual is sure to hold information on the mask or know someone who does.
I shall be sending three of priests to collect the statue, together with a wagon to secure it. I need you to accompany them and keep an eye out for any foul play. If it occurs - crush it ruthlessly! Let me know when you're ready and I'll prepare the entourage.

We go to the docks...

This is us.
nwn2main2009-09-1117-31-28-76.jpg

The Night Masks show up...
nwn2main2009-09-1117-31-33-79.jpg

And so do the Ebon Claws...
nwn2main2009-09-1117-31-40-73.jpg

Nice, a three-way free for all.
Tactical view:
nwn2main2009-09-1117-32-34-17.jpg

Epic melee and spellcasting commences
nwn2main2009-09-1117-33-04-84.jpg

This is hardly difficult, and I barely update the equipment of the party... Oh well.

After the fight is over, Code'Xia suddenly passes out.
nwn2main2009-09-1117-35-03-60.jpg

The person in this gay ninja plate armor is Mantides... I wish I knew what the armor looked like before I bought it...
I mean, pink!?!
But serves him well for being a whining pussy.

Code'Xia has some strange visions again, which hardly make any sense (at least for now).
nwn2main2009-09-1117-35-41-01.jpg

Only now, as I'm playing the game the second time, I understand what this vision is about...

nwn2main2009-09-1117-36-13-06.jpg

d14.jpg

Mantides.jpg
Why did you all hurry off while Code'Xia was still convulsing on the ground.
d15.jpg

Rinara.jpg
So you decided that whatever was happening to Code'Xia, it wasn't worth placing the statue ar further risk by finding out? And you're supposed to be the good guys, huh?

Who said they were the good guys?

d16.jpg

Whatever...

Since we picked up some loot, we go to Okuzo, which is practically across the street, to sell some stuff.
We find the place crawling with spiders.
nwn2main2009-09-1117-38-02-06.jpg

This is obviously the work of that bitch Dalia.
nwn2main2009-09-1117-38-33-67.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-1117-38-40-98.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-1117-38-44-01.jpg

She wants to send her a perfume that smells like shit, literally.
nwn2main2009-09-1117-38-54-56.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-1117-39-03-59.jpg

This could be fun, so sure.
We go to the house guard, and tell him to deliver the perfume, being from Dalia's boyfriend.
d18.jpg

Dalia receives the perfume and we see a short cutscene with her running out of the house. Disappointing...
We tell Okuzo her reaction.
nwn2main2009-09-1117-46-34-71.jpg

This again closes this matter... For now.

Going back to Obid, we find a messenger at the church entrance.
nwn2main2009-09-1117-47-46-31.jpg

d20.jpg

d21.jpg

d22.jpg

Strange... We'll check that out, but not now.

Back to Obid.
nwn2main2009-09-1117-48-39-27.jpg

Obid.jpg
One of my priests informed me that the Ebon Claws made a bid for the statue as well. hardly a surprise, eh? Westgate truly is becoming a cesspit of villainy. Still, as long as Obid Teltas is around, evil shall never rest easy! Ah, any news on the mask?
CodeXia.jpg
No, motherfucker, noghing except more images of horror.
Obid.jpg
I am saddened to hear that. I must admit that I have no more leads for you at this moment. Likely the Night Masks have been cowed by our recent successes, and are quietly licking their wounds. I expect they are even now whispering the name of Obid Teltas in hushed tones.
CodeXia.jpg
Or plotting to put a dagger in your back...
Obid.jpg
Obid instantly loses his smug expression. You think? I hand't thought... They wouldn't dare to attack me here, would they? Er, would you mind staying here for a bit? I, uh...
CodeXia.jpg
I have my own leads now, priest.
By that, we mean the person from the tower that summoned us.
Obid.jpg
If that's the case, I'd urge caution. You won't find everyone in Westgate as earnest and trustworthy as Obid Teltas.

If I have to listen to you again, you will die...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This concludes part 3 of the LP and the first chapter of the story.
The next update will cover some of the side quests.

Kthan75

Liturgist
Part 4: Side quests

If you remember, in a previous update we found a strange house which seemed haunted.
nwn2main2009-09-1213-08-59-74.jpg

We now head over there to check it out. It's empty, but we can see a bunch of spider webs.
nwn2main2009-09-1213-08-59-75.jpg

On the second floor we find a journal.
nwn2main2009-09-1213-10-06-51.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-1213-10-25-50.jpg

In another room we find the bodies of the former inhabitants...
nwn2main2009-09-1213-11-15-82.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-1213-11-20-61.jpg

Someone shows up, who calls himself "the king of spiders"
nwn2main2009-09-1213-11-43-90.jpg

After a quick battle, he disappears.
nwn2main2009-09-1213-12-53-92.jpg

We find a key for the basement and go there. The place is full of spiders, which are not really difficult to kill at this point.
Finally, we find a large cave and the "king" again, but this time he has some reinforcements.
nwn2main2009-09-1213-12-53-92.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-1213-20-15-14.jpg

After he's dead, we return to the house, and we see the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future
nwn2main2009-09-1213-23-57-68.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-1213-24-16-40.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-1213-24-18-59.jpg

FACT: there are no valuables in the house. But the Spider King did drop a nice scimitar which poisons on hit. The Scimitar is not suitable for anyone in our party, but we can sell it for 10000+ gp.

As we exit the house, Charissa starts another conversation...
nwn2main2009-09-1213-24-26-75.jpg

Rinara.jpg
Yet more moralizing, Charissa?
Charissa.jpg
No, it was more an observation. All I see around here are thieves, drunks and other ne'er-do-wells and yet there are also shops and merchants. How do they survive in the midst of so much riffraff, I wonder?
But since you seem to want to discuss it, Ripper, your unique background is pertinent. How did the honest merchants dodge the Night Masks long enough to turn a profit?
Rinara.jpg
Ripper? That's me?
Charissa.jpg
Of course. Who else among us was a member of the Night Masks?
Rinara.jpg
Ah, I see. In that case, drop the nicknames, priestess.
Charissa.jpg
Funny the way you phrased that. Is "priestess" not a nickname? It's certainly not my name...
Rinara.jpg
Yes, but you are a priestess.
Charissa.jpg
And you are a ripper! You do steal from people, don't you? And then brag about it?
Rinara.jpg
I don't steal from everyone, just those who deserve it. And what do you know about it, anyways?
Charissa.jpg
I know it's called stealing for a reason.
Rinara.jpg
So if you took money back from a thief who had previously taken it from someone else, you would condemn yourself for it, right? That is stealing, isn't it?
Charissa.jpg
Dodgy morality if i ever head it. You can't steal from someone who doesn't legitimately possess an item.
Rinara.jpg
Ah, in this we agree. So the question is who legitimately possesses an item.
Charissa.jpg
Oh, I can't wait to hear this bit of tortured logic.
Rinara.jpg
There'll be no tortured logic. I don't need to explain myself to you.
Charissa.jpg
Convenient, but I think I get the picture. By convincing yourself that other people have earned their belongings illegally or immorally, you unburden your conscience when it comes to stealing from them.
Rinara.jpg
And by portraying all those who think differently from you as "evil", you unburden your conscience when it comes to killing them.
Charissa.jpg
True, except the difference is that there is an absolute evil, and I doubt the line between it and good corresponds exactly with the wealth divide.
Rinara.jpg
Who said anything about a wealth divide?
Charissa.jpg
Me, but it's the logical conclusion of your belief. After all, some people have enough so that they "deserve" to be stolen from while others have too little. Isn't that all that dictates who you choose as victims?
Rinara.jpg
Look, this may come as a shock to you, Charissa, but some of us don't see the world in as clear-cut terms as you do.
Charissa.jpg
No, that's not a shock. I expect as much from you.
Rinara.jpg
Oh, blast it!

Code'Xia, why couldn't we have picked an Oghmite? At least they just bury their noses in books and leave the rest of us alone?
Charissa.jpg
Relax, Ripper. There's no need to take it personally. I actually like you.
Rinara.jpg
The feeling's not mutual.
Charissa.jpg
That's your loss then. I, for one, would much rather be with someone who believes in something, even if it is absolute bullocks, than someone who believes in nothing... like some people we know.
Mantides.jpg
*Sigh*

You're a real charmer, Charissa...

Lovely. Let's move on then.

Since it's nearby, let's check out who summoned us at the tower.
nwn2main2009-09-1213-31-03-74.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-1213-31-33-88.jpg

She takes us to a hidden room behind a wall.
nwn2main2009-09-1213-32-10-63.jpg

Pentical.jpg
I know if you and the mask. Don't bother with the whys and hows - suffice to say that House Bleth is not lacking eyes and ears about the city.
Your goals are the same as mine. We both wish to uncover the Night Masks and i doing so, rid ourselves of a troubling problem.
CodeXia.jpg
Tell me about your problem with the Night Masks.
Pentical.jpg
That's not a concern of yours. All I will say is that the Night Masks have their dirty fingers in many different pots... some of them too close to house Bleth. I wish to see them exposed, to destroy their power base in the city.
CodeXia.jpg
Why should I trust you?
Pentical.jpg
I requested that you meet me here in private. Does that speak of a person who wishes you harm? Rest assured that if I desired you ill, I have the resources and means to have done so already.
CodeXia.jpg
What do you know of the mask?
Pentical.jpg
I know enough. You've been asking about the mask ever since you set foot in Westgate. It haunts your dreams, forces its visions into your waking consciousness. One of my agents reported you collapsing near the docks. I can help you.
CodeXia.jpg
Just tell me what I need to do.
Pentical.jpg
A ship by the name of the Dark Dahlia is anchored a small distance from harbor. It reputes to be a legitimate merchant ship, but it's hardly a secret that it is operated by the Night Masks. Officially, it hasn't docked due to an unconfirmed disease onboard. I know better.
The regular harbormaster has gone missing and a new one has arrived in his place. I assume he is not under the pay of the Night Masks - and thus, when the Dark Dahlia docks, he will insist on checking the cargo. The ship holds something important. I want you to find out what it is.
CodeXia.jpg
How will I reach an anchored ship?
Pentical.jpg
That's not my concern! I will reward you handsomely in gold and help you with your curse, but I deal only in results. You must find the means. You have connections in the city, do you not? I suggest you use them.

Great... A new lead for the mask, but we must go again through our "connection", Obid.
Anyway, before that, let's see what else can be done in the city.

Heading back to the main tower hallway, there a crowd, something is going on.
nwn2main2009-09-1213-34-30-13.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-1213-34-43-76.jpg

The woman sends us through a door to the local museum/exhibition.
nwn2main2009-09-1213-35-01-12.jpg

d01.jpg

d02.jpg

d03.jpg

Well, long story short: the Council commissioned a golden chalice to be made, as prize for whoever solves the mystery of the Knot. Overtime, the chalice became a key attraction of the exhibit, but now it was stolen.
The thief had left no marks and the glass counter is intact, as well as the traps set in place. Instead of the chalice, there is a paper with some symbols on it.

This is the most interesting side quest in the game, imho

Let's check the note first:
d05.jpg

Here's what the note says:

Twill be no common fare
If thou seekest my lair.

First root out and follow
The trail of the dead,
Feet soaked in violence
Leave foul stains of red.

Once the door you have found
And iron menance have slain,
Proceed forward, O Reader,
One last test dot remain!

Based on your mental strength.
The keys lie on the floor,
The order defined by their length.

But if the chalice you seek,
You're by no means alone.
It lies in plain sight,
A mere mockery of stone.

Hmm.. Let's investigate the room.
d06.jpg

d07.jpg

d08.jpg

d09.jpg

d10.jpg

Interesting.
As we exit the tower, another messenger appears.
nwn2main2009-09-1213-39-11-13.jpg

d11.jpg

Nice, arena fighting! We'll check that soon.

Let's go to Mintassan to get that blood revealing potion.
nwn2main2009-09-1213-40-36-94.jpg

Mintassan is the most important merchant in this game.

d12.jpg

We ask him also what is wrong with him.
d13.jpg

d14.jpg

d15.jpg

d16.jpg

Great, another fedex quest... We'll see that later also.

We go back to the tower with the potion.
nwn2main2009-09-1213-44-08-41.jpg

A blood trail start from the door. We follow it...

nwn2main2009-09-1213-44-37-11.jpg

Hmm, how was that riddle?

Once the door you have found
And iron menance have slain,
Proceed forward, O Reader,
One last test dot remain!

So now we should expect an iron menace?
nwn2main2009-09-1213-56-35-25.jpg

And yes, we must get past an iron golem. This fight can be quite difficult without proper buffs.

Conveniently, Mintassan also sells a hammer with bonuses vs constructs.
We give the hammer to Mantides, buff him up good and the golem is killed quickly.

Next room:
nwn2main2009-09-1213-57-44-97.jpg

How was that riddle, again?

Based on your mental strength.
The keys lie on the floor,
The order defined by their length.

[Intelligence] Hmm, maybe if we count the number of red tiles on the floor from each segment and use

that combination on the door lock: 4-8-11-2

Great success, it worked!
We finally found this riddler.
nwn2main2009-09-1213-58-51-43.jpg

d17.jpg

d18.jpg

Another long story short: Porthyria is an androsphinx who wants to solve the riddle of the Knot of Shou Long. She discovered it is actually man-made and to solve it, she needs one final ingredient: the Oil of Laduguer, which is holy for the duergar.
She sends us to the Undergate, to the Duergar quarter, to get this oil.
d19.jpg

d20.jpg

So we need to go to the Undergate...
The entrance is in the Arena district. While we're there, let's briefly check out about the arena fights.
nwn2main2009-09-1214-03-56-66.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-1214-04-16-11.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-1214-04-18-14.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-1214-04-28-53.jpg

The Arena fights are a good way to earn money and some experience.

We sign up for the individual battles first. The first fight is against a gnoll, which we quickly dispense of.
nwn2main2009-09-1214-06-10-85.jpg

After the battle is over, this guy shows up and starts talking to Mantides.
nwn2main2009-09-1214-06-36-12.jpg

Dorn.jpg
Looks like you brought help with you, too. The memory of the beating I gave you still burns, aye? Make no mistake, that was only a taste of what you're due. You'll pay for killing Jaek, child-slayer!
Mantides.jpg
I don't know what to say to you, Dorn. I thought the matter settled. You know that I deeply regret killing your son. I didn't see the boy, only the mask... I was blinded by rage, Dorn. If I could go back in time...
Dorn.jpg
He wasn't even a full Night Mask - just an apprentice! He was a good lad, my Jaek. A little off the rails but that's only normal in a lad barely in his sixteenth winter. You took him from me, you murderer!
I'm only glad his mother wasn't alive to see what you did to him. They had me identify his body, you butcher!
Mantides.jpg
Dorn, I'm so sorry...
Dorn.jpg
Sorry ain't enough.

I want your blood, Mantides. I had me a taste last time, but I know you let me win. The great Mantides wouldn't be defeated by a retired adventurer. You couldn't even give me my vengeance fairly!
This time is different, though. You ain't the same man. I might be older but not a day has gone by where I haven't trained my blade for this moment. I want you in the pit, Mantides. Now. Right now.
Mantides.jpg
There's no need for this, Dorn. Why add more blood to that which has already been shed?

That's why you wear the pink armor, because you're a pussy.

Dorn.jpg
Because it's the only way my boy will have peace. If you don't fight me inside the pit, you'll fight me outside. I ain't stopping until one of us is dead. You have my word.
Mantides.jpg
I have no choice, do I? Very well, Dorn. I'll fight you, and this time, I will hold nothing back. I can only hope that satisfies you.

They fight...
nwn2main2009-09-1214-07-12-39.jpg

And Mantides wins easily
nwn2main2009-09-1214-07-17-25.jpg

Mantides.jpg
Are we done, Dorn? We've beat each other senseless for the last time, I hope?
Dorn.jpg
Finish me, murderer... Cut me down like you did Jaek! Do it!
Mantides.jpg
No, Dorn... I won't do it.
Dorn.jpg
Do it, you worthless coward! If you don't cut me down, I'll come back, again and again! I won't rest until you're dead!
Mantides.jpg
Enough! Code'Xia, what do you think?

nwn2main2009-09-1214-07-44-80.jpg

Mantides.jpg
Your words are harsh, but i see truth in them. We have enough enemies as it is.
You sought this challenge, Dorn. honor be damned. Code'Xia has shown me a different way recently, one I'd never before considered. If I'm to survive, I need to show more... pragmatism.

Now you're talking!
Mantides.jpg
I apologize for the fate of your son, but this ends here. I will grant you the death you seek.

Mantides kills Dorn. After he returns from the arena, a woman appears.
nwn2main2009-09-1214-08-28-66.jpg

Mantides.jpg
I did what I had to do.
nwn2main2009-09-1214-08-37-66.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-1214-08-46-33.jpg

The undergate again... All roads seem to lead there at this point.
Next update will cover the conclusion of these quests.
To sum up what we are following so far:

- Get the oil of Laduguer from the duergar
- Find Mintassan's diamond, in an area with trolls
- Go to the Dark Lady's promise, for Mantides
- For the main quest, next stop is with Obid, to find a way to get on that ship; but we'll finish the other stuff first.

Kthan75

Liturgist
Small notice.

My holiday is over and tomorrow I have to leave in an unexpected trip (work-related) for about two weeks.

The LP will resume when I get back, sorry for this break.

Angthoron

Arcane
I wish this thing was stand-alone, seeing this LP makes me want to play it too, but I don't own the NWN2 nor is there a way to play this by means of not removing it from the inventory. Boo :(

Great LP, looking forward to moar after that trip! Have a good one.

Elzair

Cipher
Angthoron said:
I wish this thing was stand-alone, seeing this LP makes me want to play it too, but I don't own the NWN2 nor is there a way to play this by means of not removing it from the inventory. Boo :(

Great LP, looking forward to moar after that trip! Have a good one.

Do you have a halfway-decent connection? Then just torrent the damn thing!

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Elzair said:

I tried torrenting MoW when it came out but there was some kind of copy-protection or something that the other expansions didn't have. I can't remember whether it didn't let me install it or play it.

Kthan75

Liturgist
Part 5: Side Quests (2)

OK, so in the last episode, we were heading to the Undergate to solve a bunch of stuff.
Actually, in my playthrough, this is not the first time we enter that place.
I mention this because there is an even worthy of note that occurs the first time we enter.

Some broad shows up and starts talking crazy
nwn2main2009-09-1212-00-16-43.jpg

_Robed_woman.jpg
She seeks to unmask herself, but there is no truth behind the masquerade. There are only more deceptions.
CodeXia.jpg
Who are you?
_Robed_woman.jpg
We know she pursues the Night Masks, those who hide in the veils of darkness. But their disguises are petty. Behind all masks sits the true mover, the true deceiver. Behind all sits the Faceless, whose hidden glory we celebrate.

nwn2main2009-09-1212-00-52-28.jpg

_Robed_woman.jpg
Her search may lead her to the Faceless himself, but it will not lead her to truth... not unless there is truth in the grave.

Weird...
Now, as we enter Undergate the second time, something similar happens.
nwn2main2009-09-2920-56-49-64.jpg

_Robed_woman.jpg
She still struggles to unmask herself. Perhaps the mask fits too well?
CodeXia.jpg
You're back, with more of your maddening riddle-speak.
_Robed_woman.jpg
She pursues the Night Masks. Soon her way will become one with ours. She may find what we have to offer useful.
until then, we offer this warning: the Faceless is watching. The one unseen sees all.

OK...
Back to our business. The temple of Shar is right near the entrance to Undergate, so let's head there first.

nwn2main2009-09-2920-58-29-12.jpg

The high priestess of Shar greets us and approaches Mantides:
nwn2main2009-09-2920-58-33-92.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-2920-58-44-43.jpg

_Velishara.jpg
Fear not, Mantides. My goddess means you no ill. Rather, Shar feels your pain, the sense of loss, which almost consumes you. You carry a terrible burden, warrior. The Lady of Loss is not unsympathetic to your plight.

Mantides.jpg
Do you think me ignorant of the true nature of your goddess? I don't believe Shar capable of sympathy, especially not towards a former Lathanderite!
_Velishara.jpg
Ah, Lathander... A god so full of pomp and pride that he would reject one of his most devout servants, one who rightfully delivered justice in his name. Your anger is truly justified, warrior.
Rest assured that Shar would never judge you so. Your pain troubles her. She would offer you freedom from your torments, a blessed release from the burden that threatens to break you.

nwn2main2009-09-2920-59-46-73.jpg

Not again with the whinning...! This has got to stop.

_Velishara.jpg
I understand, brave one, and so does Shar. She would offer you her embrace, Mantides: claim you from the harsh glare of the dawn god's judgment into her cool, comforting darkness.

nwn2main2009-09-2921-00-12-01.jpg

_Velishara.jpg
You are being giften an opportunity few are offered, warrior. Shar can take away your pain, grant you the release of forgetfulness. All she asks is that you open yourself to her blessing.
Mantides.jpg
Can it be possible? Freedom at last from the terrible chains of my past? I...

nwn2main2009-09-2921-01-12-26.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-2921-01-15-90.jpg

:twisted:

_Velishara.jpg
Come forward then, my child. Bow your head and give yourself to the Mistress of the Night. Offer it all: your prayers, your memories, your love, your sorrow. Allow the darkness to wash over you. Soon, you will be born anew!

_Velishara.jpg
There, it is done. Arise, Mantides, champion of Shar!

nwn2main2009-09-2921-02-03-34.jpg

Finally...

nwn2main2009-09-2921-02-18-20.jpg

And of course, someone has to ruin the mood...
nwn2main2009-09-2921-02-32-23.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-2921-02-45-03.jpg

Hmm, let's have a quick word with this new Mantides...
CodeXia.jpg
I want to discuss your conversion to the church of Shar.
Mantides.jpg
What of it? I made my choice, Code'Xia. You hardly discouraged me with your words and deeds, so I suggest you bite your tongue on any words of disapproval before they leave your mouth.

Started to grow some balls, huh?

CodeXia.jpg
I wanted to offer my congratulations. This new you is a welcome change.
Mantides.jpg
Yes, it is. I've been weak for too long, unmanned by my own petty torments. All that is past now. I must thank you for showing me the light - or more appropriately, the darkness.
CodeXia.jpg
I need to know I can rely on you, Mantides.
Mantides.jpg
You heard High Priestess Velisha. She wants me to accompany you and learn what secrets I can. I won't betray you now, partly out of gratitude for what you have done, but also because I know the measure of your power.

Hmm... OK.

The new Mantides comes with a nice evil armor and a +3 Greatsword with Level Drain DC18 on hit. Not bad, but if you convert him back to paladin he gets his old sword back, which is better.
Oh well, as usual, evil doesn't pay off that well...

Let's move on to more serious stuff then. We head to the entrance of the troll lair, which is now magically opened, after Mintassan gave us the quest...
nwn2main2009-09-2921-08-53-84.jpg

The place is full of trolls.
Fact: this is a place where you can actually die if you don't prepare. In my first playthrough I did prepare acid and fire spells, but there were more trolls than I thought. With a Warlock, however, it's ridiculously easy if you have the Brimstone Blast incantation, which does fire damage and you can spam as much as you want.
nwn2main2009-09-2921-09-48-03.jpg

We kill all of them but no sign of the diamond... We find the entrance to the Chieftain's Hut.
nwn2main2009-09-2921-11-37-92.jpg

Hmm, looks like someone beat us to this place.
nwn2main2009-09-2921-11-55-95.jpg

d01.jpg
d02.jpg
d03.jpg
d04.jpg
d05.jpg

And with that they teleport away... But they leave something behind
nwn2main2009-09-2921-13-00-96.jpg

It's a signet ring, but we have no idea who's it is. With no obvious trail at this point, we return to Mintassan.
nwn2main2009-09-2921-16-50-73.jpg

d06.jpg
d07.jpg

Pff, that drunk again...
nwn2main2009-09-2921-18-46-89.jpg

d08.jpg
d09.jpg
d10.jpg
d11.jpg
d12.jpg

We go the house he indicated and "say" the password
nwn2main2009-09-2921-23-02-09.jpg

That doesn't actually work, and a troll guard comes out and attacks. No big deal, and the door is now open.

Inside we find the happy crew that left with the Diamond.
nwn2main2009-09-2921-25-23-45.jpg

This fight takes about 30 seconds, and only because Mantides managed to fail a Will save and was paralyzed.

We recover the diamond and we got to Mintassan with the news.
nwn2main2009-09-2921-31-49-96.jpg

d13.jpg

What the hell is this about?
nwn2main2009-09-2921-32-01-42.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-2921-32-11-98.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-2921-32-14-46.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-2921-32-20-82.jpg

WHAT. THE. FUCK.
Fortunately for him, he gives some nice monetary reward.

Well, there's one last thing to do in the Undergate for now, and that is to retrieve the Oil of Laduguer for the Androsphinx.

The Duergar Quarter is located in the north east of the Undergate. Naturally, we are greeted with hospitality.
nwn2main2009-09-2921-42-59-84.jpg

After those annoying pests, we find the high priestess of the Duergar.
nwn2main2009-09-2921-47-13-34.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-2921-47-16-28.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-2921-47-29-57.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-2921-47-34-81.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-2921-47-42-60.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-2921-47-52-32.jpg

I don't really buy that, but we'll see.

The thieves are just outside the Duergar quarter, a bit to the south.
nwn2main2009-09-2921-57-14-78.jpg

We don't waste any time and dispose of them quickly, but what do you know...
In the chest they were guarding there was no oil, but a dragon egg.

nwn2main2009-09-2921-59-45-50.jpg

Surprise, surprise...

d14.jpg
d15.jpg

They don't take too long to die, so we return to the priestess
nwn2main2009-09-2922-17-25-26.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-2922-17-27-29.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-2922-17-36-04.jpg

She gives some oil to a nearby guard, who transforms into an Essence of Laduguer (whatever that means)

This is one of the tougher battles in the game, especially since you are supposed to get here at level 10/11. In my first game I had to return a bit later, with more spells and items.
In this game it was a LOT easier, Warlock's abilities helped but mostly Mantides, with his new badass equipment.
Notice my elaborate strategy with Code'Xia in this fight:
nwn2main2009-09-2922-19-00-51.jpg

Well, they die. We find the Oil and also one of the best weapons in the game (not counting crafted stuff), an enchanted club, which any character can use.
nwn2main2009-09-2922-19-46-26.jpg

We return to the sphinx.
nwn2main2009-09-2922-23-34-23.jpg

d16.jpg
d17.jpg
d18.jpg
d19.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-2922-24-06-54.jpg

nwn2main2009-09-2922-24-11-62.jpg

d20.jpg
d21.jpg
d22.jpg
d23.jpg
d24.jpg

That chalice is worth a few thousand gp, so this was worth it, not to mention the phat lewt we got on the way.

This concludes today's update.
In the next one (which will likely happen in the weekend) we'll proceed with the main quest.

Kthan75

Liturgist
Reject_666_6 said:
Elzair said:

I tried torrenting MoW when it came out but there was some kind of copy-protection or something that the other expansions didn't have. I can't remember whether it didn't let me install it or play it.

Yup, I had the same problem. Eventually I found a better version, but I don't remember from which site. All I remember is that the release was made by a group called CPY.

Kthan75

Liturgist
Thanks!

Well, I'm about halfway through, my "quota" is at least one update per week, I do intend to finish it. :)

Kthan75

Liturgist
A question for the all-knowing hive mind.

I've gained a few levels with the warlock, but I still don't know all the invocations well.

My current selection is:

Beguiling Influence
Draining Blast
See the Unseen (I replaced Eldritch Spear with this, I found the spear completely useless, while See the Unseen grants see invisibility, which has several uses in this game)

Eldritch Chain
Brimstone Blast
Flee the Scene

Devour Magic (useful, since I have no mage, so no Breach-like spell)

I am tempted to change Flee the Scene with something else. Any suggestions?
Also, any recommendations to get for the next levels?

Kthan75

Liturgist
Part 5.5: Kokrulobis

Here's a quick "interlude", before the full update with the continuation of the main quest.
This small update will cover the last side quest that we started previously.

Remember the first time we entered the Market Triangle, a house exploded?
nwn2main2009-09-0814-05-51-82.jpg

The fire has now been extinguished so we can enter the house.
Inside, everything is pretty much destroyed, except a statue in the middle of the room, and a dying man.
nwn2main2009-10-0312-41-29-58.jpg

We use a healing spell on him, and he is able to talk:
nwn2main2009-10-0312-41-52-59.jpg

But he doesn't remember anything...
nwn2main2009-10-0312-42-02-51.jpg

nwn2main2009-10-0312-42-08-40.jpg

nwn2main2009-10-0312-42-47-23.jpg

It so happens that he has a key, which fits into a small keyhole in the statue.
nwn2main2009-10-0312-43-10-14.jpg

Using the key reveals a hidden passage which leads to a basement.
nwn2main2009-10-0312-43-31-44.jpg

We advance, but what we see doesn't look good:
nwn2main2009-10-0312-43-47-79.jpg

We attack the monsters but they heal any damage instantly. Wtf?
Interestingly they don't do any damage either...
We get closer to the water and we see that we can walk on it...

The quelzarn are an illusion!
nwn2main2009-10-0312-44-02-15.jpg

Whoever lives here must be pretty powerful (or so the game says).

This was a real nice touch. You can't tell it's an illusion until you actually try to walk on the water, which you wouldn't normally try. I observed this as I accidentally clicked on the water.

Across the fake water is a door which leads to a kitchen, where we find a dwarf servant.
nwn2main2009-10-0312-45-13-51.jpg

nwn2main2009-10-0312-45-16-97.jpg

He tells us this is the secret house of a powerful wizard called Uzalimon, who spends most of the time in his lab. He also tells us where to get the key, which is under a tea pot in the kitchen.

Using the key, we enter Uzalimon's lab.
nwn2main2009-10-0312-46-49-79.jpg

There are a bunch of bookcases with spell scrolls and components, and a portal, which is the obvious next step.

As we go through a portal, we arrive on a mountain top, where Uzalimon and 3 other wizards are talking to what seems to be a lich.
nwn2main2009-10-0312-48-44-69.jpg

nwn2main2009-10-0312-48-56-14.jpg

nwn2main2009-10-0312-49-07-58.jpg

nwn2main2009-10-0312-49-11-39.jpg

nwn2main2009-10-0312-49-16-03.jpg

nwn2main2009-10-0312-49-39-34.jpg

We'll see about that...

Epic spellcasting commences.
nwn2main2009-10-0312-50-37-76.jpg

If you let the wizards fight the lich, it's rather funny. All of them start casting buffs and protections. Then all the wizards start attacking the lich in melee and/or magic missiles, while the lich casts meteor storms and such...
However, if you attack the lich fast, the fight is pretty easy.

When the battle is over, we can talk to Uzalimon and find out they are a group (apparently Harpers, but it's not clear) that were investigating the rise of a cult in Westgate, who wanted to free the lich Krokulobis.
But fuck that, we attack this bunch of sissies to get their loot.

nwn2main2009-10-0313-06-31-84.jpg

And they do have a lot of stuff, including some very nice rings and wands.

At the exit, the dwarf servant shows up again.
nwn2main2009-10-0313-08-58-72.jpg

Lolwut?
He dies in one hit and we move on to cash in the loot.

Next update will really cover the main quest, hope to finish it tomorrow.

Kthan75

Liturgist
Part 6: The Dark Dahlia

So our last lead on the Night Masks was from a person who called Code'Xia for a secret meeting at the tower, and who asked to investigate a ship that is in stand-by, at sea, a few miles from the harbor.

nwn2main2009-09-1213-32-59-73.jpg

She suggested to check with our contacts in the city for means to reach the ship and investigate it.
So we head over to our only contact, the lovely Obid.

nwn2main2009-10-0314-23-27-34.jpg

nwn2main2009-10-0314-23-36-03.jpg

Obid.jpg
I believe I may know a captain willing to embark on such an enterprise, although Obid Teltas is loath to recommend any dealings with a man of such low moral fiber.
His name is Captain Merrig, and you can likely find him drinking in the Black Eye tavern. I warn you, he's known to be a scoundrel with no small lust for gold - I expect you'll need to pay a great deal. Greed is a vice of many, I lament.

No shit?
OK then, let's go talk to this captain Merrig fellow. How much money can he ask for?

nwn2main2009-10-0315-10-18-98.jpg

nwn2main2009-10-0315-10-21-20.jpg

CodeXia.jpg
There's a ship anchored out in the harbor - one I need to get to.
Merrig.jpg
Aye, I know the one. The Dark Dahlia she's called. Word is they got a bit o' the plague, but that's bullocks! Bunch o' scalawags that lot is! Up to no good, I've little doubt.
But more important than that, the Dahlia's almost certainly well guarded, at least if the reputation of the captain is much to go by.

Here we go...

CodeXia.jpg
What have you heard?
Merrig.jpg
Little bit o' this. Little bit o' that... *spit* Captain Gothos One-Eye. But his name don't mean what ye think! He's got two eyes himself, he does! It's all the rest o' the poor knaves he captures that only got one!
CodeXia.jpg
It matters not. That's where I need to go. Are you up for it?
Merrig.jpg
Oh, I wouldn't miss this for all the gold in the sea. I'm in alright... if you are!
You see, grapplin' with the Dahlia's gonna be a bit o' labor, not to mention dangerous, and that means it's gonna cost ya!
How much?

nwn2main2009-10-0315-11-16-72.jpg

Are you fucking kidding me???

If you've been doing all the side quests and sold the loot, without spending a lot on other stuff, this amount shouldn't be a problem. If needed, Pentical Bleth can give you a part of that, to get the ship.

CodeXia.jpg
I just so happen to have that with me now. Here you go.

nwn2main2009-10-0315-11-31-61.jpg

Ok, so we get on the ship, and as we leave the harbor, what do you know?
nwn2main2009-10-0319-10-23-65.jpg

The ship is attacked by the quelzarn. The real deal this time, too.
nwn2main2009-10-0319-11-35-78.jpg

Fortunately, this is really not difficult to kill, and shortly after we spot the Dark Dahlia.

nwn2main2009-10-0319-13-29-58.jpg

They've taken note of us too, and started to fire their cannons.
nwn2main2009-10-0319-13-34-56.jpg

nwn2main2009-10-0319-13-43-12.jpg

The crew of the Dahlia go down pretty quick
nwn2main2009-10-0319-13-58-04.jpg

nwn2main2009-10-0319-18-12-56.jpg

We go down in the cargo hold, where, besides some chests with some precious stones, we find a sarcophagus.
nwn2main2009-10-0319-21-31-37.jpg

As any normal adventurer, we open the thing, to unleash a vampire monk, who's not too happy about the situation.
nwn2main2009-10-0319-21-34-56.jpg

nwn2main2009-10-0319-21-49-58.jpg

So much for this adventure not having anything to do with undead...

She doesn't die, she teleports away. In the sarcophagus there's a note.
d01.jpg

I guess Pentical Bleth will make more sense of this...
We go back to the deck and prepare to leave
nwn2main2009-10-0319-25-58-50.jpg

We report the news to Pentical Bleth
nwn2main2009-10-0319-30-32-00.jpg

nwn2main2009-10-0319-30-34-48.jpg

Pentical.jpg
As for Kajeel, that name is known to me. He - or it - is a powerful figure in Undergate and runs a drinking establishment there. Several of my more... unsavory... contacts have spoken of that place. I believe a token is needed to enter.
Pentical.jpg
Here is the cost of hiring the ship, reimbursed in full, and some extra. Go to Undergate and learn what you can from this Kajeel. I will continue gathering information about your mask. Return when you have some news to report, specifically anything relating to vampires.
CodeXia.jpg
I think I deserve more of a reward.
Pentical.jpg
I have rewarded you generously enough already. Don't test my patience.

Worth the shot...

CodeXia.jpg
How will I obtain a token?
nwn2main2009-10-0319-31-07-73.jpg

Wow, you sure are helping.

We go again to our "contacts"... *sigh*
nwn2main2009-10-0319-48-20-84.jpg

nwn2main2009-10-0319-48-23-37.jpg

nwn2main2009-10-0319-48-26-81.jpg

nwn2main2009-10-0319-48-40-37.jpg

Another "session"...
nwn2main2009-10-0319-48-42-34.jpg

nwn2main2009-10-0319-48-52-34.jpg

CodeXia.jpg
I need a token to enter Kajeel's.

nwn2main2009-10-0319-49-09-14.jpg

CodeXia.jpg
You still have one, don't you?
Obid.jpg
Of course Beylia doesn't have a token! That would have been one of the many items she left behind when she joined the church. Thank you for your time, Beylia. You may go now.

Hmm, let's have a private chat with Beylia.
nwn2main2009-10-0319-50-20-50.jpg

CodeXia.jpg
No, but I'm sure you can help me... can't you?
nwn2main2009-10-0319-50-30-39.jpg

nwn2main2009-10-0319-50-42-70.jpg

nwn2main2009-10-0319-50-45-34.jpg

Unfortunately, there is no Bluff option, and Intimidate is not maxed... So let's go the evil way.

CodeXia.jpg
How about I just tell Obid?
nwn2main2009-10-0319-50-59-34.jpg

CodeXia.jpg
I wouldn't want to, Beylia, but I need that token.
nwn2main2009-10-0319-51-22-37.jpg

OK, so now we can enter Kajeel.

This is the end of the update. In the next one, we'll cover a couple of sidequests that opened after the Dahlia quest, which concern Charissa and Rinara, and after that i'll go on with the rest of the main quest.

Kthan75

Liturgist
I heard a rumor that you can somehow use Mintassan's diamond to solve the Krokulobis quest peacefully. Can anyone confirm this? I would be curious to try.

Also, if anyone has comments on my previous post regarding invocations, it would be appreciated.

Flee the scene is pretty useless in my opinion. Switch it for Hellrime blast. Your other invocations are fine.

Keep up the good work and all that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom