Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Mother 3 (Completed)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
damn

lightbane

Arcane
Part 2

It happened too fast to screenshot it, but one man stormed in and took over the toilet before we could use it. Shortly before this the party is attacked by…

Mother3Japan_368.png
Mother3Japan_369.png

:what:
Don’t ask, the point is that this thing is ridiculously powerful, able to use PSI Starstorm at will, you must dispose of it quickly or you’ll be swiftly annihilated.

Mother3Japan_367.png
Mother3Japan_372.png

You know the drill, another hall with more bathrooms hiding stuff.

Mother3Japan_374.png
Mother3Japan_375.png

Mother3Japan_376.png

Mother3Japan_377.png
Mother3Japan_378.png

Mother3Japan_380.png

Guy: “This is a bathroom! What the heck’s your problem? What you’re doing in here, anyways? All in a big group, no less.”

Mother3Japan_385.png
Mother3Japan_386.png

Mother3Japan_387.png

This hall has another bloodthirsty Men’s Room Sign, but I was prepared.

Mother3Japan_389.png

In one of the bathrooms Lucas found this, that’s Ghostdog’s best collar of the game (Ghostdog doesn't have any Mystical weapon).

Mother3Japan_390.png
Mother3Japan_392.png

Mother3Japan_393.png

Mother3Japan_394.png
Mother3Japan_395.png

Once more the event happens too fast to screenshoot it, but some of the bathrooms were occupied before we could move.

Mother3Japan_396.png
Mother3Japan_397.png

Mother3Japan_406.png
Mother3Japan_409.png
Mother3Japan_410.png

Mother3Japan_411.png
Mother3Japan_412.png

This will be the final bathroom hallway.

Mother3Japan_413.png

This particular W.C. is rather strange, Lucas will knock it and you’ll hear a strange sound. Knock on it again for an angry response, and the occupant will allow us to enter, meeting…

Mother3Japan_417.png

OH FUCK!! RETREAT!!!!

Mother3Japan_418.png

That was close, the Ultimate Chimera gets so angry that it destroys the bathroom door and patrols the previous hallway, if you’re fast enough (and have the balls), you can rush inside the bathroom where the Chimera was and grab the item it was guarding, getting another piece of Lucas’ ultimate gear.

Mother3Japan_419.png
Mother3Japan_420.png

But I am, now Lucas has the complete set :smug:

Mother3Japan_421.png
Mother3Japan_422.png

Yes, it is exactly as it looks like.

Mother3Japan_423.png

porky.jpg
“Did you enjoy my special all-you-can-pee toilet dungeon? Now, then I have some sad news for you! This place you’re at now isn’t really the 100th floor! It’s a fake! Ahahahaha! You’re nothing but a cheap toy crawling around in the palm of my hand! Alright! Allow me to invite you to the REAL 100th floor! Hehehe! Board the elevator just ahead, I’ll be waiting…”

Mother3Japan_434.png

Better we move to the next floor before something worse happens.

Mother3Japan_436.png

This floor has no enemies for a change, in fact, it has…

Mother3Japan_437.png
Mother3Japan_438.png

A Magypsy house?

Mother3Japan_443.png

Mother3Japan_446.png
Mother3Japan_448.png

Yep, if the previous hints weren’t enough here’s proof that Fassad, the not-muslim that hates humanity (and monkeys) was Locria, the last immortal fairy tranny, aka a Magipsy. I suppose he was the only Magypsy that had an actual sense of self-preservation and did not want to die and joined the Pork Army with the promise that they would not pull his Needle. Logically, Porky lied.

Mother3Japan_451.png

porky.jpg
“And then make it to the REAL 100th floor!”

Mother3Japan_455.png
”I’m a mouse Locria liked to dote over. He had a creepy ‘Nwehehehehehe’ laugh, so he might’ve seemed like a mean person in most people’s eyes, but he was very nice to me, at least. Do you think he’ll be coming home soon? I’m so lonely…)”

Don’t worry, soon you’ll join him if Lucas fails to complete his quest.

Mother3Japan_463.png

Porky is trying too hard, this floor is not finished and yet he uses it to waste our time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLLW5__4iDU

Mother3Japan_464.png

The entire construction area counts as another mini-dungeon with new enemies and a new gimmick that I’ll explain later.

Mother3Japan_465.png
Mother3Japan_466.png

Two of the most powerful robot-type enemies of the game, but by now it matters little to us. K9000 may or may not be a reference to Doctor Who’s K9.

Mother3Japan_468.png
Mother3Japan_469.png

Much more powerful than its predecessor but Lucas and co can oneshot nearly anything with their PSI.

Mother3Japan_470.png

Old Guy: “You’re interfering with the construction, but I welcome you just the same!”

Mother3Japan_472.png

This is the dungeon’s gimmick, you have to disobey this man and tackle him to create an improvised bridge.

Mother3Japan_473.png

Don’t worry about the worker, he'll probably be ok.

Mother3Japan_476.png
Mother3Japan_481.png

This eldritch, unholy entity is one of the most inane enemies of the game… but poses no threat.

Mother3Japan_483.png
Old Guy: “Of course it isn’t! Duh!”

*Lucas tackles him*

Mother3Japan_485.png

This never gets old.

Mother3Japan_487.png

Mother3Japan_488.png
”Pulling of this lever by anyone other than construction personnel is forbidden.”

Mother3Japan_491.png
Mother3Japan_493.png

We do, starting an elaborate chain of events that ends with another human bridge.

Mother3Japan_494.png
Mother3Japan_495.png

Mother3Japan_496.png
Mother3Japan_496.png

Mother3Japan_498.png

Mother3Japan_499.png
Mother3Japan_500.png

porky.jpg
“Some idiots have snuck onto the construction site and are causing loads of trouble. Idiots! I’m talking about you guys! Come on, now, how about you actually try to come to the 100th floor already? You’re really starting to irritate me! You’re making my dentures itch like crazy! Get on the next elevator already!”

Mother3Japan_507.png

Near the end of this area I found this weapon, that’s Asuka best “normal” weapon, but the Mystical Gloves are still much better due the PP and HP bonuses, so I discard this item.

Mother3Japan_508.png
Mother3Japan_509.png

I really hope we’re at the 100th floor this time…

Mother3Japan_510.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfUunZbunj4
Guess what, it turns that the next floor is another dungeon too, and the one with the deadliest robotic type enemies of the game! :rage:

Mother3Japan_512.png
Mother3Japan_513.png

Mother3Japan_514.png

We start with the Mecha-Lion, the weakest enemy here but still dangerous as the others, it can ruin your day by poisoning several party members at once.

Mother3Japan_515.png
Mother3Japan_516.png

The first one can use a “Dazzling light attack” (in other words a special, unblockable, much more powerful version of Lucas’ Psy Flash), it hits damn often and will one-hit-KO one party member for sure. The Return of Octobot is supposed to be Earthbound’s Ultimate Octobot that Porky managed to copy somehow. Like in Earthbound, it will randomly steal one of your items while you’re distracted killing the most dangerous enemies. But these not the most rage-worthy foes here, no, the title goes for…

Mother3Japan_518.png

:rage: Deadly as in Earthbound. As you see this area is made of rape and death, but it has awesome stuff to take.

Mother3Japan_521.png
Mother3Japan_522.png

Mother3Japan_523.png

Besides the Collars, Ghostdog’s most powerful (and only) weapon is… A giant dildo? Don’t ask.

Mother3Japan_524.png
Mother3Japan_525.png

The best Bracelet of the game. Now we can leave this horrible place and find that damned Porky.

Mother3Japan_526.png

Lady: “Using this will make you into a ‘nice person’ who respects Master Porky from the bottom of your heart. Use it until you’re red in the face, and you’ll feel happy and revitalized as a nice person. Unlike with regular hot springs, all you have to do is gone inside a green-colored capsule, which makes it very simple and convenient!”

Mother3Japan_535.png

What.The. Fuck??? Porky not only managed to copy Gygas, but somehow he outwitted him.

Mother3Japan_544.png
Mother3Japan_550.png

Even animals are here to be brainwashed. And Mr. T too. I don’t know if that’s funny or disturbing.

Mother3Japan_565.png

Mother3Japan_567.png
Mother3Japan_569.png

Mother3Japan_582.png
Mother3Japan_574.png

porky.jpg
“You appear quite exhausted there, Lucas! But the real fun is just about to begin! Alright! Climb up those stairs just ahead! C’mon! Don’t disappoint me, now! Ahahaha!”

Mother3Japan_584.png

Well, the good news is that the dungeons are over, the bad news is that the worst part of the Porky Building is about to start…

Mother3Japan_588.png

Host: “I’ve changed my hat, so perhaps you don’t recognize me, but I was the chauffer of that difficult-to-drive and far-too-long limousine. I’m pleased to see that you’ve made it this far. I’ll now determine if you’re fit to meet with Master Porky or not. Kindly follow me, if you would.”

Mother3Japan_594.png

Mother3Japan_598.png

Host: “to judge whether or not you’re fit to be a wonderful playmate of his. First, allow me to explain the wonderful rules. Whoever hits the most moles with their mental A Button hammers will win the game. Master Porky absolutely adores that word: ‘’win”. If the words ‘indulge’ and ‘humor’ mean anything to you… you’ll know what to do. But if you try to throw the match Master Porky will be very displeased indeed. Okay. Do you understand the rules now? Hit the old guy in the helmet and you’ll be zapped. Do try to be careful.”

Mother3Japan_610.png
Mother3Japan_611.png

Mother3Japan_613.png
Mother3Japan_614.png

Mother3Japan_616.png
Mother3Japan_617.png

Porky doesn’t even bother to show up in person, the motherfucker. Also, this seems familiar for some reason…

Mother3Japan_618.png
Mother3Japan_619.png

Mother3Japan_621.png

Host: “Total moles hit: 18!”

Mother3Japan_624.png

Host: “You got all worked up, and then… BANG BANG BANG BANG…! I thought your hammer was going to break! Here, let meyou’re your eyes. Whoa! They’re bloodshot! I’m afraid I can’t introduce someone as frightening as you to Master Porky. Try again, but this time with a fresh outlook on things.”

I see it now. Of course, it’s nothing more than whackaPOPAMOLE!!!!! Seriously, here Porky represents the consoletards and you, the player, the poor AI that’s forced to play against a manchild that only wants to have an easy win, in fact, if you make it too obvious by deliberately losing Porky complains too, you have to let him win while pretending to give a challenge. Somehow Porky managed to make this humiliating both for the characters AND the player.

Mother3Japan_638.png

Host: “You’ve won the intense match by the razor-thing margin of one mole! Now then! Let’s move on to the next fun and exciting game!”

Yay! Craptastic!

Mother3Japan_644.png
Mother3Japan_645.png

Mother3Japan_647.png

Host: “You’ll both start from a Purple Bridge at the same time, and the first to reach the other side wins. You understand the rules, yes? Also, if you have the words ‘indulge’ and ‘divulge’… Perhaps the former would be the one to focus on, if you catch my drift…”

Mother3Japan_654.png
Mother3Japan_655.png

Mother3Japan_658.png
Mother3Japan_659.png

I don’t think that would make you more manly, but whatever.

Mother3Japan_662.png

Host: “All right! On your mark, get set, go! Go!”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCJj8xNrMJM

Mother3Japan_666.png

The “race” is as exciting as the screenshots shows, Porky’s Minibot is slower than a tetraplegic snail with rheumatism and to add insult to the injury, it frequently stops as if it was unsure of how to continue. Thank God for the emulator to include a turbo function.

Mother3Japan_668.png

Host: “You win the intense match by a nose! What a truly fantastic race! That was a match for the ages! Now then! Let’s move on to the 3rd and final game!”

Mother3Japan_675.png
Mother3Japan_676.png

Blablabla you have to mash the “A” button as fast as you can but allowing Porky to win, of course.

Mother3Japan_682.png
Mother3Japan_683.png

Host: “This means that you have a very good chance of coming from behind to win it all, Lucas! All right. Here we go!”

Ignore what he says, you must lose against the egocentric manchild to continue the game.

Mother3Japan_698.png

Host: “You’re so young, yet you’ve mastered so much! I hereby deem you fit to meet Master Porky. Please go and pay him a wonderful visit!”

AT LAST!! THE DUNGEONS ARE OVER!!!… No?

Mother3Japan_702.png
Mother3Japan_705.png

:rage: SCREW YOU PORKY!!!!

The endgame is actually fun, but transcribing all of this into a lp is tedious. Anyways, here’s the boss’ video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7aG9QtWSjY
There’s another video for the following section: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGZraUAOXXU

Mother3Japan_706.png
Mother3Japan_708.png

It has been a long and hard journey but Porky is here… However, the motherfucker has not finished trolling us

Mother3Japan_745.png

Wow, Andonuts was not joking when he said that time travelling was harmful for the living tissue, that’s what happens when you abuse of a prototype of a time travelling machine.

trueporky.jpg
“where humanity’s past failures would never be repeated… How stupid you can be?! No matter how much you change the rules, no matter how much you refuse to admit defeat, in the end, the creatures known as ‘people’ will always sign their own death warrant by acting out of stupidity and evil. And then… mankind will be gone for good. You could’ve been happy, if only you would’ve done as I did and obediently followed the visionary, selfish desires of a great hero… *wheeze* *gasp* Why is it you struggle to cling to life with such puny minds, pitiable bodies, and feeble hearts? Well, no matter. The curtain is about to fall on this pathetic little play of yours. Because, soon, the power of power will be mine.

The world and everything in it has been my oyster so far, and now I’ll end it by acquiring the ultimate power. Hehehehehehe. Ahahahahahahah!!! *cough* *cough* *gasp* *gasp* (repeat x3) Whew… Though everything so far has been fun and games, I’ve given you many a concession. I was bored out of my mind and wanted to play something more thrilling, you see. But, now that we’re face-to-face like this, I won’t hold anything back. My slave… My lifeless son will pull the final Needle for me (Porky’s disturbing factor increased by 100 extra points, poor Lucas). And the moment he does, the Dragon should awaken and do as I want. At which time, I assume you fools will turn into garbage or dust or something and finally disappear for good. Ahahaha. I’ll admit, that’s kind of sad. But I would be crushed under the weight of boredom if it were any other way. *wheeze* Do you understand now? Do you understand the sadness Master Porky bears, now that he’s god-like? Ahahahahahahahah! *cough*”

So, the true reason why Porky has invaded this island, why he destroyed Lucas’ family, and caused so much pain and suffering, the reason why he wants to destroy what remains of humanity and the world in an absolute nihilist orgy is… Boredom, he wants to destroy everything but the Drago and himself and troll Reality itself for the lulz, surely after having an epic butthurt caused by Ness and co after kicking him out of countless timelines. Certainly one of the best villains, Kefka would be proud.

Mother3Japan_783.png

An alarm sounds, briefly cutting Porky’s speech.

trueporky.jpg
“Oh! You and your little dramatic plays, so this couldn’t have come at a better time for you! It seems the 7th and final Needle has just been located deep underground, below here.”

Mother3Japan_787.png
Mother3Japan_789.png

trueporky.jpg
“I assume you want to pull it too, right, Lucas? Why not go and check it out then? I’m even being fair enough to tell you where it is. That really will make this game all the more fun! But I think I’ll use my shortcut to give myself a head start, if you don’t mind! Ahahaha! *coughs, wheezes, etc.* Bring it on! If you can catch up to me, that is! Here, you can use this elevator all you want! Spankety, spankety! *wheeze* *gasp*”

Mother3Japan_802.png
Mother3Japan_803.png

Mother3Japan_806.png

And then the party falls for nearly a minute in real time…

Mother3Japan_807.png

But thankfully they survived unharmed.

Mother3Japan_809.png

clint.jpg
“Could you let me go on ahead first? Just say ‘yes’ and don’t ask why. Okay? Thanks. But if it seems like I’ve been gone a long time, then go ahead and keep going.”

Mother3Japan_814.png

That’s it for today. Soon it will be over. Who will triumph: Lucas and his courage, or Porky and his inanity? Will the world be destroyed or renewed? What will happen? Will Lucas be able to avenge his family and execute Porky? What happened with Claus? All of these questions will be replied on the ending, I promise it will be surprising, ground-breaking, mind-shattering, brick-shitting and maybe even emotionally engaging!! Don’t miss the final update!!!

PS: I promise it will have much less pics and will be more text-heavy.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The problem wasn't with individual updates having too many pics, it was that there were too many chapters in the same page.

As for who will triumph, it's obvious. Ghostdog will vanquish all evil and gnaw on some villain's bones. :smug:

spekkio

Arcane
Damn, I love enemy design in this game. 2D FTW. Good 3D models are fucking rare (realistic don't mean good) while good 2D sprites can be found more often.

lightbane

Arcane
Update 20: The End of Earthbound, 3: Death and Rebirth

Well gentlemen, it’s has been fun and this lp nearly took a year to complete, but the show must end, let’s go… Before though, let me say that I had to compress the videos until they were of low quality (and one of them I had to re-do it from scratch including the battle within it), otherwise I would be uploading them for ages, bear with me here.

Mother3Japan_01.png
Mother3Japan_02.png

Because we know that Clint, even as manly and powerful he is, he cannot hope to defeat alone Porky’s inanity, we’ll go ahead. Asuka asks that question and as a response Lucas turns to face her and says something we couldn’t hear, but apparently whatever it was it was enough to convince her.

Mother3Japan_04.png

The party descends countless stairs and ladders but nothing happens, there aren’t any random encounters yet.

Mother3Japan_11.png
Mother3Japan_12.png

Mother3Japan_14.png
Mother3Japan_15.png

Mother3Japan_17.png

Oh dammit, I forgot. The doorknob was a running joke that you were supposed to find at several places, but it seems I missed some of them. In any case that’s the last time that you find it ingame.

Mother3Japan_18.png
Mother3Japan_20.png

Mother3Japan_22.png
Mother3Japan_23.png

Mother3Japan_24.png

We are at the endgame and yet the game still throws you inanities like this one. Anyways, let’s continue…

Mother3Japan_25.png
Mother3Japan_29.png

The party reaches this strange maze reminiscent of Earthbound’s Cave of the Past, at the background you can see constant lighting strikes and odd lights flashing.

Mother3Japan_30.png

The game’s penultimate enemy, its appearance in battle as a spark of some kind is a throwback to the number of enemies in Earthbound that had symbols on the map that looked like electric sparks and yet looked nothing like a spark once engaged. Besides that it has no special gimmicks and is easily crushed.

Mother3Japan_36.png
Mother3Japan_37.png

This is the last normal enemy of the game. As it happens with the Fenomeno, its appearance in battle as a giant octahedron may be a throwback to the number of enemies in Earthbound that had symbols on the map of a giant octahedron and yet looked nothing like one in battle. Minerali are often found alongside Fenomeno. Both are Italian words meaning minerals and phenomenon, respectively.

Mother3Japan_39.png
Mother3Japan_42.png

Mother3Japan_45.png

When we arrive at this section, a cutscene triggers showing Clint’s hat flying away. Shortly after the party encounters the owner:.

Mother3Japan_49.png

clint.jpg
“He’s Claus. Lucas… Your brother… Claus. I don’t know why he’s obeying this Porky guy, but as a father, I’ve finally found the son I lost. Lucas. Be happy. I’ve finally, finally found your brother. The final Needle… Lucas… Make sure YOU pull it. I’ll catch up with you in a bit… Don’t worry about me. Just hurry to the Needle! I’m fine. I’m not hurt too bad. No, Claus didn’t do this to me. I tried to fight the ‘Porky’ that’s inside him.”

Even if we should press on as Clint recommends, Lucas is still angry at him for being left alone surrounded by hostile villagers for the past 3 years, so Lucas pesters him until this "hidden" dialogue starts.

Mother3Japan_66.png

clint.jpg
“That’s right. I’m bald as a bean. What’s that? ‘Bald as a bean’ is a dumb way of putting it?! When did you become such of a bitter person?! (Oh, I dunno, did you really spent some time with him the last 3 years?) Talking to me like this isn’t very nice. Quit it!”

Okay, moving on…

Mother3Japan_74.png
Mother3Japan_75.png

Mother3Japan_77.png

This is Lucas’ true ultimate weapon. It’s implied it was used by Ness, Ninten or both in the previous games. I throw away the Mystical Stick and equip this one.

Mother3Japan_78.png
Mother3Japan_79.png

Gentlemen, it’s time for what I’m sure you were eager to see, the showdown with Porky himself!!!

Ugh, that will be a really horrible way of spending the rest of his life…

45449_ness.jpg
“He deserves it, although I felt pity for him. After all, Porky was still an egocentric kid who degenerated into an even more egocentric and cruel manchild due having a bad childhood. But that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be punished, having a shitty childhood doesn’t justify being evil, the Goddamn Batman is a good example. Now that he’s stuck inside that ball for the rest of eternity, the most merciful thing that could be done is dropping the ball inside a volcano and hope it melts…”

lucasportrait.jpg
“Mercy? MERCY? *Insert creepy laughter* I lost that useless emotion two years ago, when one lighting bolt nearly killed me and when I asked the others for help, they stared at me with a vacant expression. Then there is that occasion when Isaac tried to poison me. Or… *rambles for 10 more minutes* In short, screw mercy. I don’t care that he’s supposedly immortal, or that the Capsule is indestructible, I’ll find a way to open it, and then I’ll pull out Porky’s entire skeleton (one bone at time if I need to). Next I’ll fill that bastard’s body with pigs’ fat until he becomes a human candle, and then I’ll light it and watch how he slowly melts. Lastly but not least, I would give the bones to Ghostdog as a gift. That would be a fitting punishment for what he has done to my family and yet he deserves more, MUCH more...“

That’s something I would expect Lucas to say if he was not a silent protagonist, but because he is not we move on, the end is close, VERY close…

Mother3Japan_116.png
Mother3Japan_117.png

Frog: “I am the final frog in the game. It’s been such a short time, though it seems long, too. In any case, thank you for your continued patronage throughout it all. For me, and all the other frogs, I thank you. *hop* *teardrop*”

:salute: You will not be forgotten, Save Frog (even if the emulator’s save states made the Frogs’ presence mostly useless).

Mother3Japan_123.png

The last Hot Spring of the game.

Mother3Japan_124.png
Mother3Japan_126.png

Mother3Japan_127.png
Mother3Japan_128.png

The Item Guy is here too, for some reason. In any case, I decide to drop most of Lucas’ stuff and give him all of the Mementos, I think he’ll need all of them.

Mother3Japan_129.png
Mother3Japan_130.png

Here it is, gentlemen, the final , last battle of the game!

45449_ness.jpg
”That was sad… But I’m not crying! I swear!! *sniff* Why… why Claus had to die? Why couldn’t Lucas stun him and ask Andonuts to deprogram him or something?”

Choose one:

1. You know it was bound to happen, Claus died 3 years ago and he was little more than a shambling corpse with no memories, he could not disobey Porky’s orders and realized that was the only way of stopping him of causing more suffering.

2. Porky is an asshole and installed a failsafe device as a self-destruct system, so that even if Lucas won he wouldn’t have his brother back.

3. Andonuts is even more of an asshole and “forgot” to comment Lucas of this possibility.

4. It was an easy way to create drama.

5. Kingcomrade.

Regardless of which one you pick, here’s the ending:

It seems Porky had the last laugh. The Islands were destroyed and everyone died. Not surprising after you were warned several times that the world could be destroyed and even the Needles’ fucking guardians didn’t know what would really happen. Hell, even if the Dragon was well-intentioned, logic dictates that if he was so big he would accidentally destroy the Islands as he struggles to wake up.

Soo, what the hell happened? What the fuck was that ending? Well, I don’t know too. The ending is open to interpretation, but the most probable result is that the Islands (or perhaps the entire world) were regenerated and the Pigmen expelled as time rewound. It’s purposely not mentioned if Claus and Hinawa were brought to life, but considering that the game’s themes are the consequences of obsessively clinging to the past, sibling rivalry and the acceptance of death, it wouldn’t be nice to resurrect them when they wanted to stay dead (and yet, they appear alive in the credits, so dunno).

Well, the game, and the lp, are done. The next update will be some trivia and some facts you didn’t know about the game, and that’s it. I hope all of you had fun with this. By the way, you already know this but after this game was launched at 2006, the Decline came to the gaming market and started downgrading the games, becoming worse and more “streamlined” as years passed (even Duke Nukem has failed to resist it).

Finally, notice that the endgame is nothing more than a glorified, interactive cutscene (not that's bad if it's well done), compare it to the ending of Oblivion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLWAr3TQ-S8. I still wonder why this shit was called game of the year and Mother 3 not (assuming that in an alternate reality the game had an official release outside of Japan, I’m sure the result would be the same)...

spekkio

Arcane
outcmu.jpg

Great job, soldier. Mindfuck games FTW!
Also: ending video has good quality, don't be a grapphicwhore, mang.

Now how about these avatards, hmmm? :M

lightbane

Arcane
spekkio said:
Now how about these avatards, hmmm? :M

EDIT:I've been busy about that. You see, I managed to get all of the used (and some unused) sprites on the game, and many of them could be awesome avatars. In fact, there are like +100 sprites. Decided, I'll try to upload mostly the battle sprites, the non-battle ones are harder to edit.

lightbane

Arcane
Miniupdate!!! The quest for the Avatar...

is done :smug: Note: I could not upload ALL of the battle-sprites, thery're literally too many, so you'll have to be content with these:

agitatedboar.gif
arachnid2.png
artsyghost.png
bakedyammonster.png
baldeagle.png
barrelman.png
bigbro.png
birdstick.png
bitebitesnake.png
Boney.gif
bowwowfish.gif
brokendrum.png
broteam.gif
cactuswolf.png
caringtree.gif
carpetmonster.png
cheerfulskeleton.png
chickensnake.png
Claus.gif
clayguy.png
coptermouse.png
deceivingdoor.png
doria.gif
drandonuts.gif
dungbeetle.png
Duster.gif
Dusterafro.gif
eeriesmile.gif
elderbatty.png
fearsomepigmask.gif
flint.gif
flyingmouse.png
frostywolf.gif
gaymachine.gif
ghostarmor.png
gooeygoo.png
greediermouse.png
haphazard.gif
heavyhead.gif
Hinawa.gif
hippolauncher.gif
homogaygolems1-1.gif
homogaygolems2.gif
horsantula.gif
incendiaryinsect.png
ionia.gif
jealousbass.png
Kumatora2.gif
Kumatora.gif
lavatorysign.gif
lavatorysign.gif
lovewalker.gif
Lucas.gif
Lucas2.gif
lydia.gif
maskedman.gif
mechadrago.png
mixolydia.gif
mrpassion.png
mrsaturn.gif
mrsaturn2.gif
mushroomdog.png
negativeman.gif
nkcyborg.gif
Notmuslim.gif
ohsosnake.png
osohecape.png
ostrelephant.gif
parentalkangashark.gif
pigbrain.gif
pigcolonel.gif
pigmask.png
pigtank.png
pigtunia.png
Porky.gif
ramblinmushroom.png
reconstructedcaribou.png
reconstructedmole.png
rockinghost.png
rocklizard.png
rocklobster.gif
roeman.gif
Salsa-1.png
sandlizard.png
sarasarasahara.png
smellyghost.png
sobbingguitar.png
sootdumpling.png
stickyslug.png
strawberryslime.png
thesqueekz.gif
titany.png
tree.png
ultimatechimera-1.gif
violentroach.png
walkingbushie.png
walkingtombstone.png
Wess.png
youngerbigbro.png
zombidillo.gif
zombiedog.png
zombielady.png
zombieman.png

Now, if there's one moderator kind enough to upload all of these pics... If the moderator doesn't, then, gentlemen, you'll have to choose/vote which ones do you want to have.

PS: Credits to The Spriters Resource and Starmen.net, the places where I took all of the sprites.

PPS: Since I had to copy-paste sprites from different sources their sizes may vary a bit.

lightbane

Arcane
Update 21 (extra): What could have been and will never be

The translation:
Let’s start commenting about the game’s translation:

http://mother3.fobby.net/notes/

That’s the main page of the translation patch. As you know the game was never released out of Japan but that didn’t stop the fans to attempt to translate it themselves (may Starmen.net be always safe from the Decline). At several points during the translation, it seemed Nintendo was interested with the translation and was re-considering launching the game outside, but they quickly pulled out for some reason. Maybe they were scared when they saw this (warning, may be NSFW):

fabulous.jpg

And yet for Final Fantasy 9 they had no problem with Kudja:

viewergenderconfusion.jpg

Even worse, when they released Smash Bros Brawl they included Lucas, carrying with him lots of spoilers including but not limited to Porky’s identity, the Needles, Hinawa’s death and such, and his looks are god-awful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4KPFtP ... re=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkhGupdqHFI

:what:

In any case, the translation was eventually finished and everyone was happy. You can check the link I posted before if you’re more interested about the topic. Also, not being satisfied with the translation the guys at Starmen.net did an awesome handbook with love and care (http://handbook.fangamer.com/), you may like to take a look if you’re bored.

The music:

Mother 3 has a lovely good and awesome soundtrack that was also inspired by real songs (not many as Earthbound though) that also directly affected the gameplay with the “battle song” system, you can see more details here:
http://cruiseelroy.net/2009/01/mother-3 ... allusions/
http://cruiseelroy.net/2009/01/mother-3-battle-music/

They also released the game’s soundtrack for free (can be downloaded here: http://starmen.net/mother3/music/), and later the Mother 3i and Mother 3+ soundtracks. The first one was, as the EarthboundWiki says, MOTHER3+, that was released in Japan on November 2, 2006, consisting of arranged songs by the Crazy Ken Band as DCMC, and a vocal track by Taeko Onuki, as well as some songs from previous installments of the series. It was later released in the iTunes Music Store in North America on April 1, 2007, featuring an additional bonus track unavailable on the CD release.

The second soundtrack, MOTHER3i, was released on the February 6, 2007 in the iTunes Music Store and Napster in Japan, as well as a few other online music services. On April 1, 2007, it was released in the iTunes Music Store in North America. It contains a different selection of music from the game. It was composed by Shogo Sakai and contains a different selection of music from the game than the MOTHER3+. Songs from the album also appear in Super Smash Bros. Brawl in their original or remixed form (namely being horribly done and missing the best ones). Both can be removed from the inventory rather easily (there are some songs in Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjFFmBSEHig http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ikazIsW ... re=related)

The future of Earthbound:

Nothing. Seriously, games like Earthbound no longer exist, after Oblivion the Decline came, and you know what happened then (the rise of consoletards, the mainstream and complete lack of originality or effort).

lazydevelopersarelazy.jpg

The picture is old but the situation has not changed much.

Although Mother 3 was the end of the trilogy (and their unique gameplay gimmick, the rolling hp odometer and the limited inventory for each party member), were mostly ignored by other jrpgs, that doesn’t mean there aren’t Earthbound-like games. I’ll start with this fangame:

http://mother4.dcmsoftware.net/ Unfortunately, as it tends to happen they have ambition but they cannot achieve their goals, it has to be seen yet if they’ll break down and abandon or create a cult and waste everyone's time.

On the other hand, there’s Cognitive dissonance (http://cogdis.tazmily.com/), set between Mother 2 and 3, and done by the RPGMaker. Although they couldn’t manage to copy the rolling hp system or the limited inventory, it can be seen they tried as hard as possible to be wacky and inane like the games, and they pretty much did it (you know there is something really wrong with the nowadays gaming market, if this fangame is more original than most if not all of the latest rpgs); because it is a fangame do not expect it to be as good as the other games (both on design and gameplay), but it’s still good for what it is.

Then we have Yume Nikki, that’s Earthbound meets a really trippy nightmare (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHHQDGG5niY), another free game with a focus on exploration and a good atmosphere. There’s also a mod for HL2 that has the ultimate chimera (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRC5g0pb ... r_embedded) and that’s pretty much it, besides some cameos and lookalikes in other games (http://earthboundcentral.com/2010/04/a-kappas-trail- ; http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/08/mo ... tasy-life/ ; http://marctenbosch.com/miegakure/ ) Mother 3 is pretty much deader than death.

The scrapped data:

Earthbound 64, was supposed to cover a timespan of 10 years, there were more than 4 characters, and it was confirmed the game was the sequel of Earthbound (there were pics showing a destroyed Onett). More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EarthBound_64 ; http://starmen.net/mother3/beyond_mothe ... nnections/
http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/03/pl ... d-64-demo/

Then we have the script of Mother 3’s beta (http://earthboundcentral.com/m3script/), unused stuff (http://mother3.fobby.net/unused/) and the rumors that Claus was supposed to be possessed by Gygas at some point, but it’s all explained here:

http://earthboundcentral.com/2010/01/cl ... ome-myths/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbvvbgVC ... re=related

Also, Mother 3’s translation includes a debug menu with some interesting stuff that was never implemented, like the “Kindness” stat (I theorize that depending of how high it was the game’s ending could change), and the Dark Dragon was named like that because the Egg of Light was supposed to gave birth to the Light Dragon, but there isn’t much data about it. There were rumors too that Porky once managed to defeat Earthbound’s original cast and that instead of the kamikaze slaves you had to fight Ness, Paula and Poo (later they were replaced by robotic copies but it was scrapped too).

The trivia:

The Earthboundwiki says that Magypsies were named after the names of the seven modular scales in music theory: Ionian, Aeolian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian and Locrian. This was the idea of Mother 3 soundtrack composer Shogo Sakai. Another reason why this was part of the game was because in all Mother games, the main goal is to gather parts of the music. They have something similar going on here, but they don't gather parts of the Eight Melodies any more.

Alec describes them as being neither man nor women (though in the fan-translated English version, they are referred to as both "he's" and "she's" for the sake of convenience). Each Magypsy seems to be associated with one color of the visible region of the electromagnetic spectrum. Red (Aeolia), Orange (Phrygia), Yellow (Lydia), Green (Ionia), Blue (Mixolydia), and Violet (Doria). Since Locria betrayed the magypsies, Locria wears white (the traditional absence of color) instead of the traditional indigo, however Princess Kumatora wears a similar indigo coat (starting some rumors that somehow Kumatora was the final Magypsy and wassupposed to die at the endgame and be replaced by Flint). The Magypsy Phrygia is also a city explained in the Bible.

The Lovewalker enemy was based on the poster for an old movie called “Cabaret“.

lovewalker.jpg

the_notebook_the_proof_the_third_lielarge.jpg

t’s not too widely known, but MOTHER 3 was inspired in part by a book called “Le Grand Cahier” by Agota Kristof, which was released in English as “The Notebook”. It’s the first book in a three-part series. It’s where Lucas and Claus get their names, but it’s also the source of a lot of other little things here and there. However, I have to warn that this book is not good for everone, it’s a grim, disturbing, sad, creepy story that’s not recommend for those easily depressed. Here there are some scans of the translation: http://revasser.net/studio/ex/writings/ ... istof.html

It’s not explained here but these books inspired too the fate of Lucas and Claus, in the 3rd book (one that has also a bit of mindfuck) is discovered that everything was a fantasy of a crippled boy named Lucas that was so lonely that invented these fantasies to ease his pain… But then he discovers he really had a brother… Or is it? It’s not clear if the story that’s explaining also forms part of Lucas’ fantasies or is the “supposed reality, in any case the book doesn’t have a happy ending at all (Lucas commits suicide and his brother considers doing it too).

Next, I’ll explain the Masked Man’s design:

Since Porky was an old-school gamer (but he got infected by the casual when he was time-travelling), the Masked Man’s is mix of several concepts and ideas, starting with Megaman (the arm-cannon thingy, obligatory joke here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpe4eioI0UU), Star Wars (the power sword), and a German pilot.

German-Pilot-Hi-by-Gerg-Nagy.jpg
+
200px-Uniform_empire_pilot02.jpg
=
super-smash-bros-brawl-20080125113350860.jpg

Lastly but not least, because Mother 3’s ending is vague and strange, there are some theories of what really happened. One of the most interesting ones says that Gygas IS Porky. Somehow, after thousands of years being inside the Capsule Porky mutated and became Gygas. That theory uses as a proof that Porky’s attacks “cannot be understood” like Gygas, but I think that was supposed to be a reference and nothing more (or perhaps it would be better if we didn’t know what Porky did:
what.png
).

Hmm, now that I think about it, there’s something about the Dark Dragon that seems odd. Let’s see: The Dark Dragon is a mystical creature with dragon like features (duh) that’s sleeping after being sealed. If he’s sleeping it means that he’s dreaming. The Dark Dragon is powerful enough to rewrite reality, which means a god-like power. The Dark Dragon is so big that he destroyed the Islands as he woke up, which means it was maddeningly big. So, the Dark Dragon is a god-like creature with maddening power that’s dreaming waiting to be woken up to rewrite reality, which means that… OH FUCK !!! THE DARK DRAGON IS…

cthulhu_big.jpg

That explains everything: Lucas unknowingly released Cthulhu, who mindraped and tentacleraped him before “restoring” his reality. Or perhaps Lucas was Cthulhu all along (or he became Cthulhu). Or maybe the Islands never existed and were a dream.

Anyways, that’s it, the lp is done, I may or may not lp another game on the future (maybe Cognitive Dissonance), but nothing for now. I hope you liked this and had fun with it...

Radisshu

Prophet
After the fight, say yes to Flint while he watches over Claus and Lucas will
pull the final needle from the ground. Watch the very long scene, then the
screen will fade to black and it will say END? This is not the end though;
keep walking to the left and there will be plenty of dialogue from various
people talking to you. After a long while, the dialogue will end and the real
ending will commence
. With that, congratulations on completing Mother 3!

Got this from gamefaqs.

spekkio

Arcane
Man, thanks for both posts.
I think most of the images will be perfect as avatars. But I don't think DU will alow such gay AND wapanese things here...

And the non-transparent ones can be easily fixed using Irfanview:

rqx5vo.jpg

r77pug.jpg

I have no idea how to resize transparent images though...
But there's no point in resizing them I think (huge pixel case):

2s67trs.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
Radisshu said:
After the fight, say yes to Flint while he watches over Claus and Lucas will
pull the final needle from the ground. Watch the very long scene, then the
screen will fade to black and it will say END? This is not the end though;
keep walking to the left and there will be plenty of dialogue from various
people talking to you. After a long while, the dialogue will end and the real
ending will commence
. With that, congratulations on completing Mother 3!

Got this from gamefaqs.

I call it bullshit. No matter what they say when the last Needle is pulled you got the same result. If I recall correctly I checked it and nothing different happened. Mother 3 sadly doesn't have C&C.

spekkio said:
Man, thanks for both posts.
I think most of the images will be perfect as avatars. But I don't think DU will alow such gay AND wapanese things here...

Amd yet there are avatars for Oblivion, Oblivion with Guns, Mass Erect, Dragon Age and even Anacronox (the last one isn't bad, but it could be considered an "almost jrpg"). I don't have this Irfanview progam, I'll have to get it and see how it works before I fix the non-transparent images.

lightbane

Arcane
I fixed the pics, resizing the ones that were too short and trying to fix the non-transparent images... Unfortunately with some of them the process failed and they ended looking something like this:
Porky.gif

Anyways, I'll try to contact the staff to see if they're willing to upload the pics.

spekkio

Arcane
:thumbsup:

I'll try to fix the ones you had problems with one day...

*Edit:
NVM, you edited the post above so I don't have the original material anymore... :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom