Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Kayerts

Arcane
Knights always seemed pointless in MM6, but they more than made up for that in MM7. I hear that an optimized thief (basically, one with a similar number of points in daggers as Cappen has in armsmaster)'s attack speed and damage from daggers will actually let him outpace a similarly optimized knight's damage output. Course, optimizing an MM game feels excessive.

I've always found the Lawful Good stereotype paladin goody-two-shoes sentiment idiotic, when interpretated in a way that you cannot kill goblin children for instance, because that would be EVIL, while ignoring the fact that all goblins you encounter during the average D&D game are bent on your destruction. It would make more sense to purge this Shitstain of Evil from the land, but then again, I don't think my current PnP group would let me do the Extreme Paladin, though I would find him incredibly amusing to play. M:

I'm told that a large part of the impetus behind the stereotypical paladin-oriented code in games was to counterbalance some mechanical advantages the class had in early D&D, at least at the intended power levels.

Though it seems like the real origin of that sort of thing could be the post-classical heroic tradition. There's a certain trope in the mythology of folk heroes, particularly of a vigilante or morally questionable nature, in which they possess some arbitrary restriction, some behavior that's off limits. The general function of that seems to be to show that even if they don't always follow the laws of the land, they are obedient to some moral code; i.e., they aren't just a random asshole riding around on a horse, killing things.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Nope. No update tonight. I'll have to continue tomorrow, as I still need to upload 27 more images, and imgur doesn't want to play right now. I hope to have this wrapped up before I go on vacation tomorrow afternoon (it's half past ten in the evening here in Denmark).

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Alright ladies and gentlemen! I've completed the game, and now I shall conclude this LP! :salute:

We're very close to the end, and this update will feature both sides of the conflict. The update would simply appear too small otherwise.
We start off with the darksiders. Having done 4 quests for the advisors, there remains just two more tasks. We've already received the first one: go to the Land of Giants and kill the leader of the Devils, the one named Xenofex.
Before doing that I decided to get rid of the last promotion quest, the bounty hunter one.
So, I savescummed outside a town hall until I got a sufficiently juicy bounty that was easy to complete :M

SFlMT.jpg

1k7Rt.jpg

9upsi.jpg

S4DvL.jpg

vAOYA.jpg

Targetting an Archmage made sense in that I knew there was an un-cleared dungeon where I could find one. Many of the other monsters I could get a bounty on could be nigh impossible to find anywhere, as not all dungeons would have respawned at this point in the game.
Maybe it's cheap to savescum, but a quest that relies this much on random chance, and which really holds no bearing on the rest of the game, I'm not too troubled cheating a bit. :roll:
It means we could finally turn it in and become honorary bouty hunters.

JxrDs.jpg

zHjQA.jpg

There. :M
With that minor annoyance out of the way, we make our way to the Land of Giants and make straight for our target, the Colony Zod. Along the way, we take some snapshot of the different tiers of devils.

jg0LU.jpg

l8pTi.jpg

EtrAo.jpg

Due to the Meteor Shower skill, you do not want to be caught on the ground in the vicinity of these fuckers. What makes the Captains even worse is they have a chance on each hit, to drain the targets spellpoint pool. That can be troublesome, and very annoying if your only town-portal capable guy gets zapped. Carry extra manapotions for just that case.
The colony itself is a nasty piece of work. We can see it in the distance here.

L6tVx.jpg

Nothing much to look at. But the animated image you see when you enter it is yucky. I've tried to capture it in these three images.

xGLla.jpg

NZBiM.jpg

d1DrC.jpg

A writhing mass of tubes and tentacles. This could lead you to think it'd be a confusing place with passages that shift and turn, and a wholly organic feel to it.
This is how the tunnels look.

Zc4S4.jpg

Non-descript and brown. The chests you can loot here are slight pod-looking, but nothing scary here either.

AoBDC.jpg

This particular chest contained an artifact and another blaster gun.

Y4Pf5.jpg

Blaster guns can be awesome, as I will demonstrate later. :smug:
We have two objectives in this dungeon, and we need to complete them both. One objective is to free Roland Ironfist. The guy we read a lot about in MMVI. Apparently the devils brought him here.
Here he is, swinging along merrily in his very own cage:

bXoc7.jpg

raiHh.jpg

S8tCc.jpg

Looks like he's trying to rattle the bars. :lol: Anyway, he's mightily pleased when we free him, and no, we cannot leave him.

ziRsv.jpg

He gives us a key which is needed to enter the chamber where Xenofex is. When freed, our History book is updated.

VJVGS.jpg

QIQ7I.jpg

That's surprisingly mildly worded for the scribe of a Dark side group...
Anyway, with him free, we can confront the Devil leader!

1is9Z.jpg

And here's the map of the place.

smCF6.gif

1. Roland
2. Xenofex
Very simple and straightforward dungeon. Just take care to rush the captains, to prevent them from draining spellpoints, and this dungeon shouldn't be too hard. :salute:

Once Xenofex is slain, and we teleport back to report our success, we're interrupted with a video sequence. It's the exact same for both Dark and Light groups.

Why, Artie seems so honest and believable, so of course we'll just trust his word, shan't we? :roll: It would have been refreshing if Catherine had just killed him, but as remarked, this plays out in the exact same way, no matter if you chose light or dark. :decline:
With one dungeon down, we shift our focus to the lightsiders.
Their history update seems identical to the darksiders, when releasing Roland.

p5pc0.jpg

WezWy.jpg

Hmm.... What is more, after watching the exile video, we get another update in the history book. Again, it seems there are no differences between the light and dark sides here.

FL0Ly.jpg

iMB7s.jpg

kXcpO.jpg

lBh2X.jpg

:rpgcodex: I'm disappointed in this. I had hoped for some differences here, but none. Tsk.
Well, disappointed or not, it's time we received our final task, and just as we ask about it, we get treated to the how and why of these advisors!

Ooo, shiny! They make pretty sparkly lights!
Here's our mission put more wordy:

VJ9kj.jpg

YKBi2.jpg

BLbpw.jpg

rUCko.jpg

We need to don wetsuits and go swimming for their hidden spaceship, so we can fetch the gizmo they need to power the portal to the system of portals that connect the different worlds. Only, the security systems have been activated, and our group has been chosen as cannon fodder the only ones tough enough to brave the dangers.
The tricks to the wetsuits is that you need to remove all equipment to don them, including rings and amulets. The only weapons you can use while wearing the suits is the blasters.
Here are some pics of the suits, and Mrowak striking a pose, wearing one of them.

7aRCc.jpg

eMInO.jpg

Note, there are only 4 wetsuits available, seeing as there are only 4 advisors for each side. Handy, isn't it? This also means that our hired NPCs will not be joining us for this last dungeon. The wetsuits give innate water walking, elsewise they'd be deathtraps. :lol:
After all this exposition, we can check our history book again.

QoyLt.jpg

C7HkP.jpg

uh0LS.jpg

I really don't have anything witty or interesting to add at this point, but I'm pleased the light side update differs from the dark as you will see later.
With the wetsuits equipped, it's just a matter of making our way to Avlee and start swimming. Once you hit the west side of the map, you get this popup.

OuB3F.jpg

The Shoals is a unique map. It's an underwater map where you cannot remove the wetsuits, and you cannot cast spells or use other weapons than the blasters. This means no healing, at all. So you need to take care with the sharks in the area, all of which have ranged attacks.. :M
In the northeastern part of the map, we finally find the Lincoln:

X9Pdv.jpg

kuK8s.jpg

fS0pc.jpg

Immediately upon entry, the group is set upon by a number of security droids. They come in three flavours.

wxfZC.jpg

SlU1c.jpg

2HTPV.jpg

Needless to say, the assassin droids are the most dangerous of the bunch. Contrary to the droids from MMVI, these ones do not have an instant eradication ability though, so it's just their sheer damage output you need to be mindful of.
Once inside the ship, it's a very, very good idea to immediately go into turnbased mode, and equip all items again, save for normal weapons. Here, the blasters come into their own. You see, there's a trick to making them über. The trick is simple. Cast haste, keep the game in real time, and let rip!

The rate of fire is so ridiculous, even assassin droids will only get to attack maybe three times before they're dead. :incline:
Inside the Lincoln our objective is to find the Oscillation Overthruster. Most doors inside the Lincoln are inoperable however, as most of the power has been turned off. So the first objective (which isn't listed in the quest book) is to turn the power back on. To do that, you need to find the generator, which also isn't listed, and manipulate an unlisted panel. Having grandmaster wizards eye is helpful, as it marks areas of interest.

Nx00S.jpg

This column is what we're looking for, and the minimap is a bit unclear to read, but blue parts are area of interest, and the panel directly in front of us is marked with blue. Pressing space tells the party to flip an unseen switch, and power is restored, making the rest of the ship available for exploration.
There is a sort of pod-launching room, which we sadly cannot interact with.

t2w8H.jpg

Could be fun to zip around in our own little pod-ship, pretending to play Archimedan Dynasty. :M
In some chests we also find upgrades to our blaster guns.

i14jN.jpg

:incline:
Here's a peek at our lightsiders on the quick ref sheet, with the rifles equipped.

DBghx.jpg

Base damage unimpressive, but it's nigh impossible to miss, and you saw the attack speed. They mow down everything very quickly, and with regeneration up, clearing the Lincoln becomes almost trivial. :smug:
Finally, we come upon what must be the bridge.

JAx48.jpg

GpPqz.jpg

The black well like structure is the only part of the bridge we can interact with, and once we do, traps start going off, though their damage is insignificant, and we find the Overthruster!

NLsz8.jpg

Here's a map of the Lincoln:

0UOHT.gif

1. Generator
2. Overthruster
The Lincoln is an average sized map. It has some simple puzzles, such as pressing switches to make walls go up and reveal a chest, turning on the power and stuff like that. Plus, the bridge area looks slightly like the Enterprise bridge. :roll:
The monsters are dangerous, but once the initial scare wears off and everyone is in their normal equipment and regeneration is cast, the place becomes simple enough. Not too impressive for the last area in the game, but still challenging, even for a level 60+ party. :thumbsup:

Quest complete. We can now teleport back to Resurectra and watch the ending movie! :smug:

lDy4L.jpg

I'll delay showing the movie for now though, as I want to show both endings close to eachother. :troll:
With that in mind, we change groups to our darksiders.

tRArK.jpg

Kastore is mightily pleased with us killing Xenofex, and we get the dark version of the plot expo:

Cheesy, but I like the part where he just shoots the irate necromancer. :lol: These guys are ruthless and want to rule no matter what. That much should be apparent now. :roll:

9VIiE.jpg

AoKJB.jpg

The wetsuits have an interesting quirk when it comes to liches. Or maybe it's the liches that are weird.. It seems Bee suddenly has some meat on her bones again.

EHQi5.jpg

Before.

XCmIb.jpg

After. She even has nipples, impressive for a dessicated corpse, don't you think?
:M
And a final look at our history book.

9nNQj.jpg

srnPg.jpg

EvJ5H.jpg

From here on out, it's exactly the same for the darksiders as it was for the lightsiders, so all there is left to do is post the victory vids. :smug:
Finally, just as in MMVI, we get a victory screen for beating the game, giving us a score and the final levels of all characters. I find them a fitting way to end this LP. :salute:

[edit] Apparently, there's a limit to how many videos I can link to in a single post, so look below for the victory videos for both sides.

Dark win pic
plvpM.jpg

Light win pic
f1Ffz.jpg

So! That's it. For Blood and Honor completed. :salute: It has been a pleasure, though I know I haven't been as diligent with this LP as I have with my previous efforts.
I don't know for certain what my next LP will be, nor when I might start one. Right now, I'll be leaving for a 5-day vacation with my family, but I'll still be checking in.
Some time during the weekend, I'll post some general thoughts and comments on the game.
Hope you enjoyed the trip. :salute:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Here follows the victory videos.
Darksiders first!

Pew pew for all!

The lightsiders!

Mysterious white-clad guy asks us, "Where do you want to go today?"...

Erebus

Arcane
Thanks for the LP !

I have to say I've always found the good ending more original and interesting than the evil one.

The history book is rather strange at times. Sometimes, it simply develops things that are left undetailed in the game itself, but sometimes it suggests possibilities that do not actually exist. The last entries, for instance, suggest that the PCs might decide to change side at the last minute and give the gizmo to the team they'd been opposing, something that's not actually possible.

It seems likely that Archibald was meant to play an important role in future games, but he never got the chance since HoMM 4 moved the two series to a different setting.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Thank you everybody for your kind words. I enjoyed playing the game again, and my only regret is that I feel this LP (and the MMVI LP) were of lower quality than my UFO LPs. Maybe I'm more cut out for LPing strategy rather than RPGs.
That said, it was enjoyable for me.

Now, some thoughts. After playing through both 6 and 7, I enjoyed 7 more. There are more meaningful choices to be made, and for some reason, I feel it's better balanced, especially with character classes. Just as Kayerts mentioned, knights make sense this time around.
I hadn't played the dark side path of 7 yet, so it was interesting to see that storyline. Even more interesting that it was to be considered the canon ending. :troll:
Personally, I enjoy playing as lightsiders better. For one thing, I'm a goody-two-shoes. I always take the "good" choices in RPGs and often play paladin like characters, though with a more extreme bend than is normally allowed in basic DnD rules. Another thing about the lightside I like better is definitely the colour scheme. And then the light magic spells are just extremely useful. Especially HoP, as it also casts a haste spell at much higher level than the one available in the fire school. With the darksiders I had to recast haste 3 times in The Lincoln. With the lightsiders, a single cast of HoP lasted the whole dungeon and had plenty of time to spare.

Story wise MMVII also felt more fulfilling to me. Defeating the ancient evil in MMVI was good and well, but I like the choice and story progression better in MMVII. And I agree, it feels like Archibald was intended to return and still play a role in future games. If I do get around to do a screenshot LP of MMVIII to supplement DaveO's video LP, you might get to see how the story progressed, though as you can read from the interview Bee linked above, even JvC wasn't entirely happy with MMVIII. :M
For now though, I'll let LPs be LPs and go show my children some tigers and other exotic animals. :yeah:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
If I do get around to do a screenshot LP of MMVIII to supplement DaveO's video LP, you might get to see how the story progressed, though as you can read from the interview Bee linked above, even JvC wasn't entirely happy with MMVIII. :M

Shame on him, then! Shtupid developers incapable of recognising good games are the instrument of the great :decline:

That is to say, I enjoyed VIII immensely. The humble beggining, the artwork and graphics, the politics and factions of Jadame. The rigid classes... not so much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom