Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Great0ldOne

Educated
A fireball wand we don't really need in exchange for an unspecified debt due whenever it pleases him. And people call me a thief :rpgcodex: . That's no way to do business, Mr. Malwick, so fuck you very much, nay.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
A fireball wand we don't really need

Of course we need it. Or, rather, Azira needs it - even with wand killing the dragon is a huge chore, and without it it'll take what? An hour, I guess, and I'm sure that this hour will be better spent on something other than running in circles around stupid monster with occasional stops to turn around and press attack button four times.

Great0ldOne

Educated
A fireball wand we don't really need

Of course we need it. Or, rather, Azira needs it - even with wand killing the dragon is a huge chore, and without it it'll take what? An hour, I guess, and I'm sure that this hour will be better spent on something other than running in circles around stupid monster with occasional stops to turn around and press attack button four times.

All due respect to Azira, but if he doesn't have an hour to waste running around a dragon/doing whatever, he chose an odd game to do a double LP on.

At any rate, I have actually played this game start to finish twice, once for each path, way back when it was first released. This is a nostalgia LP for me, and since I already known the plot/the monsters/the dungeons pretty well, I decided to LARP, to add a bit of flavor. So minmaxing power-gaming arguments are simply irrelevant to me during voting, even though I understand and accept that's the way Azira wants to play (heck, that't the way I always actually play my games, no judgement here).

I hope this clears up my point of view. In short, a street-wise thief would never take a such a shitty deal in real life, so neither will Great0ldOne in this vote.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yeah, I know. :M I've played enough that I should be able to put up a proper update soon. I've just been busy celebrating my 33rd birthday, and as a gift to myself, I bought Heroes of Might and Magic VI..

I will leave you with this, to tide you over until I can get a proper update done though:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I have neglected this thread for too long. :oops: I've had the screenshots ready for more than a week, I've just been too lazy to produce the actual update. :decline:
I blame my birthday and the gift I got for myself. :M
Anyways what is done is done, and I'd better get on with this LP, lest I be accused of abandoning it.

We'd finished the voting, and both light and dark parties agreed to Mr Malwick's offer:

qBsuX.jpg

L87le.jpg

sypFE.jpg

WYpnF.jpg

This might come back to bite us in the end later, but who cares about that when we now have a wand of fireballs? :smug:
Anyway, the Dark team had more in mind. They proposed to lead the dragonflies into town to murder the NPCs so they'd be free for looting. So that's what we set about to do. :smug:

xWvMV.jpg

CuwCF.jpg

That is dead Mr Malwick, very much dead. I doubt it has any impact on accepting his offer though, but I guess we'll see.

peTsd.jpg

Gfdiv.jpg

Gr2My.jpg

Another NPC in town that we wanted dead was this bard, as she is carrying one of the things we need to win the contest. It's quite simple actually, without her lute, we can't end this tutorial island. We can either shell out 500g for the lute, try to steal it, or have her killed one way or the other. Trust our devious dark-siders to choose the latter. :smug:
It turns out however, that the guards in town are remarkably efficient in killing dragonflies, so I had to rest to have them respawn, then lead them into town anew, to finish off the bard. Even then a few NPCs survived. I didn't mind though, as one of them has a useful ability:

kyj8w.jpg

ftzmh.jpg

Hideous, but the ID item skill is useful, and so is her xp boost. :salute:
On the northwest part of the island, where the dragonflies were, there is a small shed holding 4 crates. In one of those crates you can find a shell, one of the items neede for winning the contest. Another way of obtaining a shell is to buy one off an NPC, but that costs money and we're rather fond of our gold ourselves. :roll:
Here's a look at the rather sparsely populated map (check the minimap, the green dots are NPCS..

3YxTA.jpg

ozdIp.jpg

:smug:
We're not quite done yet, we still have to find a bow, a fancy hat and a tile from the old Temple of the Moon, so that's where we're headed next:

dxXjd.jpg

Our very first dungeon! As can be expected, the monsters within aren't exactly thrilling.

BXM9W.jpg

hfeYP.jpg

UQ6ju.jpg

The inferno bat can shoot fire at a distance. Apart from that, these are unremarkable.

R3U7S.jpg

m6yAa.jpg

There's also a fire-rat that I failed to get a screenshot of. Also unremarkable.

DOD5T.jpg

rka0G.jpg

E9VHD.jpg

3BUQ6.jpg

Spiders are more of a threat, as they can poison your characters. Poison lowers Might, Endurace, Accuracy and Speed by 25%. Reduces combat efficency and lowers Hit and Spell Points to 50% maxmimum over time. Cured by a Cure Poison spell or potion. Nasty.
A change from MMVI is that the perception skill in this game will mark out locations of interest for you, if the score is high enough. This wall for instance is hiding a secret chest.

NPfTH.jpg

The flashing red colour is quite noticeable. And in this tutorial dungeon, just having the skill is enough, no need to put points into it yet.
There are more adversaries in this dungeon however. You just don't think so at first..

TaGbo.jpg

KGoVD.jpg

xO8X5.jpg

dk0fQ.jpg

Having this charming fellow suddenly turn hostile would come as a complete surprise, right? ... Right? :M
Behind a secret door, we find another quest item.

zdJy5.jpg

NI7Ra.jpg

Thats the tile. There's still chests to loot here however, and in one of them, we find yet another quest item.

HmcJb.jpg

Now, when trying to leave with our loot, our pal Sal stops us..

hErFi.jpg

fsdhL.jpg

rirvQ.jpg

If I were as bald as him, I'd get pretty crancy too, if some hoodlum tried to sneak off with my hat. But I digress, we're the good guys here, and he's the bully, so we keep the hat and kill and loot him instead. :incline:

81GNv.jpg

And he had a longbow! The last thing on our quest list!
Here's a map of the place:

oMKfM.gif

1. Tile
2. Hat
3. Sal Sharktooth
The purple marks on the map are secrets that are visible if you have the perception skill. As far as tutorial dungeons go, this one is rahter forgiving as long as you have the DotG buff running from the pedestal outside. Without it, this could be a dangerous place.

We go to Thomas the Judge and turn in our stuff.

RgsOW.jpg

MFrMv.jpg

lkEyK.jpg

dly5Q.jpg

xqlhI.jpg

iAymy.jpg

Now we're not finished with the island yet.. There were rumours about a dragon, and there were those missing adventurers.. And then there's the large cave we haven't explored just yet. I wonder what could live inside this?

pM6AK.jpg

Just inside the cave we find a shield labeled "contestant's shield" and this note:

NUmXx.jpg

Ip0zJ.jpg

The cave is also populated by a handful of rats (that are supposed to act as decoys, giving you time enough to loot the shield and note, and possible other items if you're quick enough) and the dragon!

2z3fx.jpg

Red dragons are the toughest of the bunch. They have 1300 hitpoints, and hit for 16-128 points of ranged fire damage.
The trick here is to kite the dragon. We're in an enclosed space facing just the one dragon, and all our characters have ranged weapons. You should not just use the strafe key (ctrl) as you'll be moving too slowly if you do. Instead, you run perpendicular to the dragon while listening for his breath attack. Once you hear the attack, run, you'll see a tiny red dot on the mini-map representing the projectile. Make sure it misses you, then turn to face the dragon, hit the "a" key to attack once with all your characters then quickly turn to the side again and resume running.
Each attack with and ordinary crude bow that connects deals 5d2 damage. And be prepared that even with DotG active, you'll be missing 5 times out of 6, killing the dragon takes a while.
Having the wand of fireballs helps a lot, as it does around 35 damage a pop and doesn't miss, unless you're careless with aiming and manage to fire it into the ground..
And sure enough, soon the dragon succumbs.

dywpX.jpg

xnHO2.jpg

:salute: to Lightbane, for getting in the killing blow.
Now, just as in MMVI, when looting a dragon, sometimes the body stays behind. This can (and will be, just this once) be abused. I save-scum and eventually wind up with a nice artifact and stop mucking around.

BAGPK.jpg

aIHUA.jpg

This artifact is good, but there are better ones out there. I'd just gotten a bit tired with the savescumming, and we'd fulfilled the primary reason for doing the savescumming anyways (amass gold enough to buy all training on the tutorial island). The boost to water magic will help with the duration of Lloyd's Beacon when we finally get that spell.
The light-siders did the same dances-with-dragons thing, and got rewarded with a much more awesome artifact!

YPzSr.jpg

The best armour in the game. :salute:
The map of the lair:

lYY0o.gif

1. Dragon
2. Contestant's shield
Not much to say about this dungeon really, other than killing the dragon doesn't really seem to be what the designers intended, though they didn't put in anything preventing this from happening. So I see it as a way to reward the tenacious idiots like myself that actually try to kill it. :salute:

And now, with the dragon dead, we return to Lord Markham.

XLHGC.jpg

jhSWZ.jpg

yurB3.jpg

Taking the ship from the docks, we're teleported to our new acquisition, the Castle Harmondale! We even get treated to a short clip:

The first thing we do is walk up to our castle and knock on the front door.

L0ag3.jpg

Alright! We have a butler! :bro: Too bad about the greenskins, we'd better get inside and sort them out.

T5kC5.jpg

Now, this is the first time we enter our castle, and it's in a sorry state and since more passages will be revealed later, I shall not be posting a map yet. Inside there's plenty of rats and goblins.

9Y2SY.jpg

VlZMt.jpg

KsTl3.jpg

Since we got a quest to kill them all, we proceed to do so. :smug:
In a chest near the throne room, we find a peculiar note.

UxGfO.jpg

Seems we have a traitor somewhere, and the goblins are planning a large-scale attack on our newly acquired castle. That will not stand. :decline:
So far though, the castle is in a sorry state. Here's what the rooms look like

xLU63.jpg

There are four doors in the main hall at the sides. All look alike. Later they will be occupied by vendors and a temple. M:
Now that we've actually won the contest and gotten a castle of our own, things have been scribbled in our history book:

slV91.jpg

cWW1Z.jpg

E1fJC.jpg

glcM8.jpg

WIXLj.jpg

DgUT9.jpg

The mentioned conflict between elves and humans over this place will rear its head later in the game. You will be called upon to cast your votes when that time comes. :bro:

With the castle cleared of hostiles for the nonce, we go to our faithful butler.

6s9X9.jpg

Ah, and he gives us a quest to make our castle presentable. A true :bro:
There are other quests to be picked up in the village of harmondale.

GGsw0.jpg

sNBle.jpg

cp6Kw.jpg

We'll be doing the second of these quests in this update. The others will have to wait as they're based in other overland maps.

N3Gak.jpg

Our questbook as it looks now. :salute: In the next update, you'll get to see the Barrow Downs. That place can be quite annoying, as you'll get to see. :M
In this update however, we found out about a certain Hairbaugh that was a spy for the goblins. And just next to the inn is a man with that name:

W3Ulv.jpg

KpVzC.jpg

pr6NU.jpg

To my knowledge, this is the only disguised goblin in the game. He isn't any tougher than a hobgoblin however, so he's quickly disposed of. The overland map is densely populated with goblins just as you exit town, and those groups are tougher than what we've encountered so far, in particular because of their higher hitpoint pools. Take a look at the third tier goblin, the lord:

C0jLU.jpg

40 hitpoints still isn't much however, when all four characters in the party have bows and the skill to use them. :smug:
We soon find both an obelisk, and a central fortified position with a sad letter in it.

YfXst.jpg

drU3d.jpg

In MMVII there's only 14 obelisks to be found, one less than MMVI, but the premise is the same. Find them all, puzzle out their meaning and receive phat loot. :M
South of the village of harmondale is a tiny hamlet. Let's call it harmondale south. In it are a few NPCs offering membership to a few spell-guilds, and there's an NPC offering the first promotion quest:

HBMgW.jpg

Seems like Kayerts will soon be promoted to Initiate, if I keep true to my word and finish the Barrow Downs in the next update. :smug:
Close to harmondale south is a pathway leading upwards. There we find both a dungeon entrance and the arbiter, which works somewhat like the seer in MMVI, in that he can provide us with hints to what we should do next:

0o8y0.jpg

vhBRR.jpg

Nice to know that our bro here can give us information if we need it. And if we should happen to lose any quest items he can magically provide us with duplicates. :bro:
Nearby is a series of caves which we will of course enter, to clear them of beasties and search for the missing Arcomage player.

RU3QJ.jpg

The caves are rather straightforward. They're inhabited by Troglodytes and oozes. The latter of which are the greatest threat, as they are immune to physical damage just like in MMVI. In MMVII however, there's a fire spell called "fire aura" which enchants a weapon to deal additional fire damage. The enemies are quickly dealt with.

OA9Ki.jpg

MasTB.jpg

dI8yQ.jpg

In one of the tunnels we find the bones of a dead adventurer together with some notes and an Arcomage deck:

yKzdG.jpg

yYgEM.jpg

Pretty basic information. Winning the Arcomage games aren't too challenging as you can see from the video in the post above.
In another of the tunnels, we find a wall laced with ore.

DHXJO.jpg

xswYo.jpg

Xvgy7.jpg

This ore can be turned in at some NPCs, and they will make random items from it. The lower quality ore, the lower quality item. Iron ore isn't really worth much, but it only takes a single slot in the inventory, so consider it vendortrash.
A map of the Caves:

cY26W.gif

1. Arcomage deck and note.
The plusses denotes ore-bearing walls, and the asterix a stat-boosting barrel. What the arrow denotes I have forgotten.
This dungeon can be real nasty if you haven't picked up the fire aura spell. With it, the oozes aren't much of a threat, and troglodytes are comparable to goblins in threat level, so if you can make it to these caves, you should be able to clear them out as well.

With the caves searched, we return to town with the bad news:

XtZpE.jpg

We get to keep the deck. :smug: Let's go play. :M

88Vq7.jpg

UbDsf.jpg

MGqgH.jpg

As to how the (second, didn't get a video of the first) game went, look at the video above. This one is easy, later matches will be harder, meaning longer. :M

And that's it for this update! Sorry for taking so long, though I cannot promise the next update will be any faster. :M
The next update will be seen through the eyes of our light-siders, though at this point, there's not much difference. I guesstimate that we're about 4-5 updates away from the point where the paths split.
Any questions? Comments?

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Not wanting to ruin your parade, but Yoruba is actually pretty awful - +25 en quickly looses its oomph (especially for the light-sided party) and protections from conditions are irrelevant as you'll be relying on protection from magic anyhow. So in the end it's little more than best plate mail +6 AC which is not much at all. But then, artifacts & magic items are generally mediocre in VI-VIII so it's not a big deal.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Not wanting to ruin your parade, but Yoruba is actually pretty awful - +25 en quickly looses its oomph (especially for the light-sided party) and protections from conditions are irrelevant as you'll be relying on protection from magic anyhow. So in the end it's little more than best plate mail +6 AC which is not much at all. But then, artifacts & magic items are generally mediocre in VI-VIII so it's not a big deal.

This is true, at least when I get to cast grandmaster protection from magic. But until then, it rocks. :smug:

Kayerts

Arcane
Cool update, but why am I using a dagger? I was hoping to punch dragons to death.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You will be punching (and using a staff, as grandmastery of staff allows it to be used in conjunction with unarmed), rest assured of that. Right now though, you've got a vampiric dagger. This has two benefits, one is that its current base damage output is higher than your unarmed damage output, and 20% of the damage dealt is converted into healing energy for you. As your unarmed skill increases, the dagger will be left behind. And eventually I'll get you a kickass staff to go with your unarmed attacks. :salute:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I played a bit last night. I had let this game take a back-seat and played HoMMVI, and for some odd reason, EV Nova.
Last night however, the light-siders got some loving caring attention, and I managed to clear out the dwarven burrows. Why this is a big thing, you'll get to see when I finally have enough material for an update. :M

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Then you're going to be disappointed with this reply too. :roll:

But seriously bros, this is just to let you know that I've played quite a bit further, and I will soon reach the point where I feel the next update should be concluded. Once I do that, then it's just a question of doing the actual writeup. :salute:

The next update will feature 5 dungeons, one of which is actually 16 mini-dungeons! It will feature 3 promotions, 2 honorary promotions and also a restored castle! Plenty of content, to try and make up for the delay. :bro:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The light siders have reached the stopping point for the next update!
Got all the screenshots ready. Or so I thought..
For some reason FRAPS crapped out on me for part of the game, so I missed about 25% of the screenshots I wanted. I am now getting the dark side team up to the same point, and will get the missing screenshots with them.

This means the update will happen, but it will be slightly delayed. Dark siders are currently working their way through the dwarven burrows, they're about halfway. A tentative guesstimate says the update could be ready in the start of the next week. I have stuff to do in the weekend, so I probably won't get much done then. :M

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Didn't you have missing screenshot problems in the M&M VI LP as well? Sounds like you need to raise your fraps skill - and no, that's not an excuse to delay updatan :M

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The light siders have reached the stopping point for the next update!
Got all the screenshots ready. Or so I thought..
For some reason FRAPS crapped out on me for part of the game, so I missed about 25% of the screenshots I wanted. I am now getting the dark side team up to the same point, and will get the missing screenshots with them.

This means the update will happen, but it will be slightly delayed. Dark siders are currently working their way through the dwarven burrows, they're about halfway. A tentative guesstimate says the update could be ready in the start of the next week. I have stuff to do in the weekend, so I probably won't get much done then. :M

Just do a video and screen cap the stuff you want after you're done.
That's what I did for my ME3 LP anyway.

DaveO

Erudite
ZDSoft's Screen Recorder program works much better for the Windows M&M games than Fraps does.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom