Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play Might and Magic 1 with a Codexian Party

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
If we ever make it to Erliquin
Check your maps and travel to it through the mirror.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Also, Sorpigal has the leprechaun in a hidden room who can teleport you to other cities in exchange for gems (but not back to Sorpigal).

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Are early entries in this series as impossible as early Wizardry games without the strategy guide?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
A small, intermediary update for tonight because I'm having a rough time and I don't much feel like playing more at the moment.

Here's what our stats looked like at the end of the last update, when we first entered the Crazed Wizard Cave:

SiWgZtl.png

After a small bit of grinding, we get everyone up to level 3:

r0gVUzM.png

6332.jpg
I still don't think we're ready to go back to that cave. We'll get raped. Either Broseph just sucks at this game or grinding is mandatory in the beginning.
13387.jpg
Remember guys, we were told to deliver a scroll to a wizard in Erliquin.
5185.jpg
We have lots of gems, let's ask our friend the leprechaun.

0874rdi.png

16744.jpg
Town number five, please.

2MfRkhK.png

13456.jpg
I didn't feel a thing.
11748.jpg
Unfortunately it was a one-way trip. We'll have to walk all the way back to Sorpigal.
5185.jpg
Much dying in our future.

vweCjTF.png

13456.jpg
:neveraskedforthis:
16744.jpg
You've got to be kidding me. And this is the beginning of the game's main quest?
5185.jpg
Moan 'n Moan 1.
6332.jpg
Let's head back to Sorpigal and try our hand at the Crazed Wizard Cave again. On the way we can get that Merchant's Pass.

15977.jpg
The party traveled far and wide, across land and sea - well, actually just land - searching for the pass needed to enter the castles of the kingdom.

53723yE.png

5XTfKQ5.png

13387.jpg
Semen stains the mountaintops.
11748.jpg
I think that's snow, shitdick.
6332.jpg
It's from a song about my daughter, Scrooge.

4rpW9Ms.png

KSMYIX2.png

16744.jpg
Alright, we've got it. Let's get the hell out of here.
13387.jpg
But muh experience!
6332.jpg
He's got a point. According to our maps there should be more deserted wagons in this immediate area. We could get some valuable loot and EXP.
13456.jpg
Fine, I'll save your asses again.

xXVCGwX.png

ruDTWfH.png

This lone swordsman is actually pretty tough - the closest thing we've had to a "boss battle" thus far. We win, but not without suffering some casualties.

gNYBgXg.png

13456.jpg
We have to press on. Maybe we can make it to Sorpigal!

r4t2bWs.png

13456.jpg
:rage:

yXx6t2N.png

9KuUbSN.png

16744.jpg
Erliquin again.
5185.jpg
How do u know? This looks like Sorpigal inn to me.
11748.jpg
Let's get the Merchant's Pass and leave this time. We can check out the other wagons later.

We grab the Merchant's Pass and head back to Sorpigal in the most direct route possible. No encounters along the way this time.

QvwsMO8.png

6Jq8cNE.png

t68HNcp.png

hka8L3J.png

13456.jpg
Why did you screencap the save screen this time, Broseph?
15977.jpg
I do what I want, SEARINOX!
13456.jpg
:x

We take the usual path back to the Crazed Wizard Cave. It also has an entrance in the forest outside of Sorpigal, but this way is probably faster.

AbwmZwn.png

tx0OfV8.png

TxBvwTR.png

Now that we have access to our second level spells, this battle against the giant spiders is considerably easier.

jjNKDlP.png

11748.jpg
Hey, we did it! Maybe level 3 is enough for this dungeon after all.

zFAkFDA.png

5185.jpg
Is this going to be tough? This is going to be tough.

FOvaE8Z.png

5185.jpg
Why can't I just rape them?
13456.jpg
Our weapons aren't doing anything either. How do you damage these things?
13387.jpg
Quick everyone, press Crtl+R to rape!

9LLWERm.png

JpROYMw.png

We grind a bit more and come back to try it again. This time we barely even make it pass the spiders.

XawQltP.png

13456.jpg
Why am I always left unscathed?
13387.jpg
This isn't a good situation. Time to reload.

h349A5B6F

End of Part 5.

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I'm glad you're keeping this updated. Also, very nice example of a Phyrric victory.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Sweet death is the only release for us, it seems.

One day Broseph's gonna go insane, the image of the inn door burned into his brain for all time, I just know it.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
fuck u nigga. this games not that complex ffs, man up

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Either Broseph just sucks at this game or grinding is mandatory in the beginning.
Grinding is pretty much required early on, it's the game's biggest flaw. Once you get level 5 things become easier (though definitely not easy).

This LP has my official seal of approval so far :thumbsup:

stabby

Learned
Nicely done Broseph, though it might not feel like your making progress I'm willing to bet you'll finish the game before I finish Wiz 6 by the way I'm managing. Jolly good show.

What is the tool people use to map out grid-based crawlers like MM1?

I'll admit that I'm quite partial to the combo of graph paper & a mechanical pencil as I do find it somewhat relaxing to do it all manually, but a quick google's told me about Gridmapper and other tools that are mainly for making Table Top maps for P&P. I guess they would do the trick for this.

Unless you're talking about something that tracks it automatically by your key presses, and if so I'll just say that's not very :obviously: (if such a thing exists that is)

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
i can't recognize it...
what is that.
can someone tell me what is that wooden-like subtance and white flat piece of cloth for?
are these backward people still using graphite to carve messages?

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Either Broseph just sucks at this game or grinding is mandatory in the beginning.
Grinding is pretty much required early on, it's the game's biggest flaw. Once you get level 5 things become easier (though definitely not easy).

That's not entirely true. Much of the XP Broseph has to grind he would have gotten while mapping the world (given frequent saving is done so as not to lose too much XP from deaths). It's still combat but not grinding persay.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
:fight::mob::fight:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom