Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Metal Brigade Tactics: Death by timelimit

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Can I still volunteer? Robot Bee, just imagine that :)

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
@RK47
:salute: You'll get the first spot.

@eklektyk
Your name is noted, you're up next right after RK47.

@Crooked Bee
Of course you can. :) I don't know how soon you'll get to join, but I don't think it's too far down the line.

I have screenshots for the next update, just need to write it up. The mission took 4 tries before I completed it however. It has a timelimit... :x

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, I am playing on "hard" difficulty, and you can change difficulty between missions. I haven't yet, and I don't intend to. It's quite unforgiving, but I like these turnbased strategy games, so I'm happy with that.
That said, this is one of the harder ones I've played. And it looks like it might get even harder later on. :salute:

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Nice to see a LP of this.

I thought it seemed pretty decent when the demo came out, but it seemed to have gotten overlooked for whatever reason (we can guess)

Difficulty seemed solid and losing equipment on death seemed like a pretty fun mechanic in the demo.

I'm really tempted to purchase this considering that the price has dropped to 5$, although I don't know if I could respect myself if I purchased a game made in 2010.

korenzel

Educated
Can you equip artillery weapon to each of your robots ? Because I wager two attacks per round is better than one even with a good weapon, especially if one of them is a large area of effect without friendly fire.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
@PorkaMorka
Losing a VA is no small matter, even if the game hints that this is OK as you'd want to upgrade them anyway. But when you lose a VA, you also lose any and all equipment on it. Weapons and accessories both.
So you need to think carefully about what VAs you can afford to lose, and keep the rest as safe as possible.
This is a 2010 game yes, I'd recommend it however, if one liked the demo. :M

@korenzel
Equipping artillery requires a "mount". Only the claymore and archer VAs currently available has one, and only one. So they can only equip a single mortar. And the mortar is so heavy that trying to equip two simultaneously would break the weight limit for said VA. So that's a no I'm afraid.
Oh, and the next mission I'm going to attempt is an indoors one, where artillery does not work at all. Going to be interesting to see how well we do in there. :smug:

Expect an update later today. :salute:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Alright, RK47 was the first to volounteer, and he get's to take over Balk's VA. :salute:
Seeing how much fun I had shelling opponents with mortar rounds, I decided to buy a second claymore so lightbane wouldn't have to traipse around in his rather flimsy stiletto..
As I load up the game, another tip shows up. It seems there are hidden treasures to be found by the obsessive compulsive amongst us.

I'm not going to actively search around for these caches, but if I see a square that seems likely to hold something good, I will make a point of sending a VA there. :smug:
Here's our current VA setup before embarking on the next mission.

2 second generation VAs and 2 first generation ones. We've only got 20 credits left after equipping lightbane with this second claymore, so we'll take care not to get it shot to pieces. :roll:

Alright, so our objective is to make way past these warring groups to the other side of the map. Seems simple enough. I set up to take the southern route. This will turn out to be a mistake.. :roll: The tutorial gives us a hint to speed up the battle resolution during the computer turn. Since I had to play this map 5 times before I finally beat it, I used this tip..

The enemy forces seem rather evenly grouped both north and south. For some reason though, the middle-island archer VAs seem to prefer shelling the southern position, meaning the resistance there is tougher when we have to make our breakthrough. I think nothing of it at the moment, as I believe I have all the time in the world to shell any survivors to ruin.

XP is good, and the levels tick in. :salute: Then we're told we're on a timer here..

It still amuses me that lightbane is female in this game. :smug: But enough of that. 8 turns and this maps turns into a crater. So we can't just hang back and let the artillery deal with our opponents. Better get to it then. :mob:

Clearing the southern road of opposition is rather easy with two artillery VAs, and only two enemy VAs peel off to deal with us, and they're easily put down.
Then a recurring enemy shows up.

Gaim. In another second generation VA. lightbane seems to think we can just run past him and finish the map. Easier said than done, since he blocks access to the exit square.. :roll:

Gaim's VA is classified as a "Decay" and it sports a 2-range weapon (rockets) and a 3 range one (rifle). If we keep our distance however, he shouldn't engage yet. This might be considered cheating, but if you do engage him, he can one-shot your VAs. Seems this map was made with strafing in mind. :decline:
We keep on advancing and shell Gaim with artillery as much as possible. When the last turn arrives, we try to rush him.

*boom* Rocks fall, everyone dies.
So I reload from the hub and try again. And again. And again. Until I decide to try the northern route..

I start out by clearing the middle island of artillery.

Then I cautiously approach the nothern bridge, while keeping my artillery VAs close to the lake, so they can possibly shell Gaim's position when he shows up.
We take some nasty hits from the nothern VAs but nothing that destroys any of our VAs.

This plan works a lot better than the approach from the south did. In hindsight, coming from the south could probably have worked just as well, if I positioned the artillery close enough to the lake to actually reach Gaim, but I didn't.

Here we see what Gaim would be able to do, if he was activated too early. 9060 damage against our claymores, whose secondary weapons are both RF class. Therefore it was imperative that we didn't. There's a trick you really ought to use if you play this game as well. The enemy cannot target VAs that are hiding behind other VAs, unless they're on the same side as the agressor. Therefore, if you run a VA right up next to Gaim and just let it sit there, without firing, you can place your other VAs on a line behind that one and fire at Gaim without him being able to retaliate. :twisted:
Which leads to this result. :smug:

Succes! M:
We have new email in the campaign hub, from lightbane, also known as Callisto. I don't know if it's possible to edit the names in the emails as I did on the pilots. As is, I can't be bothered. :M

Secrecy. We're risking our lives here, at least you could tell us why Callisto. :rpgcodex:
Meh, whatever. 3 new missions are available to choose from now.

I choose to do number 4.1 first. Sounds interesting doing an in-door mission. In preparation of that mission however, I decide to outfit RK47s and lightbanes VAs with something more appropriate than mortars, as I don't want to lug useless weapons around inside.

They both get issued a rifle, so they both have RF and SS weapons. Exchanging weapons between missions is very easy, and optimising your VAs seem necessary to win these missions without too many losses. There's the weight limit to take into account however, and how many mounts are available for your VAs. Most VAs have no mounts, and so far the only weapons I've seen that require one is the mortars.
So far the only VAs that we have available that can use sniper rifles is the rifleman. I'm considering switching Edwards saber for something else, but right now I'm holding off buying new shit, as I expect more second generation VAs to become available soon.
This is as far as I've played so far. I think I'll go tackle one or two more missions today, if I manage that I might produce yet another update soon. :salute:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Wow. The difficulty level has gone from hard to directly brutal, aiming for hellish.. :dizzy:

I've attempted the next series of missions and failed horribly at all three of them. The first one I can barely scrape through, so I thought I'd try one of the others first, thinking that having artillery might alleviate matters.

Not so if the opponent is also shelling you with strategically placed mortars, one of which takes 6 (yes, 6!) mortar hits to bring down. The pain...

I might have to go back a bit and train up weapon skills by attacking buildings and trees.. :M

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I haven't given up yet, but I might have to choose a lower difficulty level. I've seriously contemplated cheating our team's weapon skills higher. The savegame file is in ordinary text format, and ramping the skills up from 5 to 75 is a simple keystroke away.

I'm not quite there yet, but oh yes, I've been tempted.. I made a new campaign in which I did cheat, just to have a look at the missions to come. It doesn't get any easier... :M

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
FFS this game looks hardcore. Cheating, though.... :decline: :mob:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom