Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play Legend of Grimrock

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Hybrids are pretty ass in this game, anyway. Especially given the two fields of magic he's limited to: fire and earth.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
My current build is:

Human Fighter (Minotaur has too many drawbacks despite his awesomeness as a Fighter)
Lizardman Rogue specialzing in melee skills (will suck at first, but won't take long to become just as capable as the Fighter)
Human Rogue specializing in Missile and Throwing skills (He'll be an invaluable asset soon enough)
Insectoid Mage focusing on Fire and Ice magic.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
First update should be up tomorrow.

Should I use imgur or go with photobucket, which I used for my Shannara and Lands of Lore LPs?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I would have said a Minotaur frontline fighter.
They have drawbacks, yeah, but give the dude a club of some sort and fuck man, they damage the shit out of shit.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I had a closer look at my party build, should help to give some ideas.

My Fighter has the Healthy and Aggressive traits. I had him start skillin up in Maces and Armours, with some Athletics thrown in now and again. Picking Maces is a poor choice, the best hammer deals Cold damage which at least one enemy is immune to, so against that monster you have to switch weapons. There are some powerful swords in vanilla Grimrock, but I felt that they were too cliché. Which leaves Axes and Unarmed, and there's only one Unarmed weapon in Grimrock...

The reason I picked a Human Fighter instead of a Minotaur were two: Minotaurs start with a penalty to hit, and only get 1 skill point at character creation. They will be a little gimped early on.

My Lizardmen Rogue has the Aggressive and Evasive traits. I had him focus almost exclusively on Daggers and Dodging, but I realize that I should have put more points into Assassination earlier. There are plenty of good Daggers around, it's more likely than not that this character will be primary damage dealer in the midgame.

My Human Rogue has the same traits as above (the traits are unbalanced) and his focus is Missile Weapons and Dodge. I would also throw some points into Throwing Weapons early on, since there are LOADS of throwing weapons and rocks around.

Finally my Insectoid Mage has the Aura and Natural Armor traits. Currently he is the powerhouse of my party, but he will be weak and puny early on. While he can carry a spear and attack from the back ranks with that, he'll never do any serious damage and his attacks will drain his Energy, which is what's used to cast spells.

I hope this helps a little.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I went with:

Minotaur Warrior (Swords/Armor), perks: skilled + head hunter.
Lizard Rogue (Unarmed/Dodge), perks: skilled+fistfight (it's been a while but I don't remember any unarmed weapons, I just used fists the entire game)
Human Rogue (Dagger/Assassination), perks: skilled+aggressive.
Insect Mage (Spellcraft/Frost), perks: skilled+strong mind.

The way the character system works it's usually best to stick with two skills and dump all of your points in there. Similarly most of the traits are bested by the fairly generic +3 skill points trait which allows for higher boosting of your primary skills (the end result is usually better than whatever you get from another trait).

Re: maces. Wouldn't worry about any frost immunities although the biggest drawback is their speed and accuracy (and if you go Minotaur you're already start with a hit to accuracy). Those negatives are countered by the fact that maces do the most damage and, at higher skill levels, can ignore enemy armor.

Gamebanshee has a decent guide you can look at. Avoid the spoilers but it is handy to look at the breakdown of attributes, skills, and traits in creating your party.

Corvid

Novice
There is one weapon for the Unarmed skill, but it's found quite late in the game, IIRC.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There is one weapon for the Unarmed skill, but it's found quite late in the game, IIRC.

If we're talking about the...

Pit-Fighter Gauntlets

...then those aren't a weapon, just armor that boosts unarmed. You can't attack with them equipped in the weapon slot. In any event, unarmed does a good deal of damage even without it.

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
On the plus side, this thread made me finally start my first Grimrock playthrough. Just got to level 3 of the dungeon. Game's better than I thought. :salute:

Any moment now I'm sure.
yn8WQ1i.jpg

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Yes, it has been a while Mother Russia. Maybe you need more incentive?

:lol: I have actually started playing. However, as I mentioned in my OP I will post updates on the weekends, because I don't have time to post them during weekdays and play. I actually work unlike most of the basement dwellers here. :roll:

Updates will be worth it though. Since everyone took so long to respond I went with a party of my own (sorry Unkillable Cat but thanks for posting your party ideas.) which I will also post, and I also came up with a nifty backstory for the crew.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
  1. Incline Russians hold 30 greenpeace members at gunpoint
    Today Finland, tomorrow Karelia!
    Post by: Mother Russia, Today at 4:49 PM in forum: Politics, God & The Wealth of Nations

2. Post
    Blackberry gets RIM-ed
    :lol: :bro:
    Post by: Mother Russia, Today at 4:40 PM in forum: SCIENCE!!

3. Post
    Codex Fitness General
    It is a naturally occurring strength booster found in all living creatures. Modern technology has allowed mankind to harvest this wondrous herbal...
    Post by: Mother Russia, Today at 4:35 PM in forum: SCIENCE!!

4. Post
    Development Info Coreplay Issues Statement in Response to bitComposer Interview
    They are not Kwan, Brit or Aussie so they can't use K-starter. Yet.
    Post by: Mother Russia, Today at 4:28 PM in forum: RPG Codex News & Content Comments

5. Post
    Decline Man kills Pastor because his wife FALSELY accuses Pastor of raping her
    Glyphwright should know. Let us ask him.
    Post by: Mother Russia, Today at 4:21 PM in forum: Politics, God & The Wealth of Nations

6. Post
    How can one murder a verb? What is your IQ level Volourn?
    Post by: Mother Russia, Today at 4:13 PM in forum: Politics, God & The Wealth of Nations

7. Post
    Development Info Coreplay Issues Statement in Response to bitComposer Interview
    With your experience, all you and your team needs to do is make a demo of another true rpg and put it up on indiegogo. You will get the funding you...
    Post by: Mother Russia, Today at 4:08 PM in forum: RPG Codex News & Content Comments

8. Post
    Codex Fitness General
    Wyrmlord Have you started creatine yet?
    Post by: Mother Russia, Today at 3:49 PM in forum: SCIENCE!!

9. Post

10. Post
    Incline Kwa to run out of funds by October 17

11. Post

12. Thread

13. Post
    Decline Remember Fukushima? (ITZ Coming to Japan.)
:hmmm:

Drakron

Arcane
I call bull on this one.

Edit: Then again, my LP averages about a post per week, so who knows.

Not saying they arent a huge amount of work, I even entertained at one point doing the Galaxy Angel trilogy but dropped it when I started to think about it and realized the sheer amount of work that would require but the moment you commit yourself to do something, at least TRY to get it run off the ground ... first post was in the 21, even if he updates on this weekend that would mean 24 days without a update and that is when the first post doesnt even had a proper update to begin with.

If he wanted access and use this as a Trojan horse at least he should had bothered with finishing the horse and pretend its a totally non-filled with greek troops gift to the Gods ...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom