Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play: Knights And Merchants: The Shattered Kingdom

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Mission 8 (OH GOD!) Part 2

m8-5-1.jpg

So here we are, again.

m8-5-2.jpg

This tactic gave the best results against the invading hordes.

Because the Guard-towers were close to the Storage the Helpers could restock the stone quite fast.

m8-5-3.jpg

So those are my forces that survived. I’m quite happy with the result so far. So full of optimism I wanted to take on the enemy village to the west – “Fags”. Mined you I’m not using my exploits this time… I have full confidence in myself (what a fucking fool I am).

So let’s fight…

m8-5-4.jpg

…and get royally buttfuck in the process from the flank. I forgot that the second entrance is a little bit to the north. LOAD.

m8-5-5.jpg

For now let’s fortify our position and try to build our economy.

(Note: later it occurred to me that this was probably my most fatal error till now in this LP)

m8-5-7.jpg

Well, I wasn’t totally disengaged from combat. I wanted to test if I can do the “Robin Hood” with those Shitheads to the east. So here they come.

m8-5-8.jpg

I beat that group, thought it was a success until I saw that the whole damn village is rushing on my positions.

This is quite strange, I have two theories on what triggered their response:
1. Killing of the last soldier from the attacking squad.
2. My attack with major forces on their units (in this case the clash of the attackers with my defending forces)

I assume it’s the later because of something I noticed later.

m8-5-9.jpg

Things look good, because they are moving in a line I’m using the Japanese Navy “T” formation.

m8-5-10.jpg

Everything was looking good until they piled up and we were overrun. What am I fighting here? The Soviet Red Army or something?

m8-5-11.jpg

Anyway, I will skip the economical part this time.

m8-5-12.jpg

So I pulled my units further south in hope that I will somehow manage to “cutting off” the AI from throwing the whole village on my head… all in vain. I still get whipped out.

m8-5-13.jpg

So we are now something like an hour into the mission. As you can see I build five G-T and I’m trying to take on the east village once more… and once more fail.

m8-5-14.jpg

Ok, a small reorganization. Pulled one turret to the back so they will be in line. My units are now positioned behind them.

(Note: the enemy doesn’t attack my turrets… only my soldiers, strange I know)

m8-5-15.jpg

Its 1:34, the west village sends a wave of four squads of different types (they were produced by the AI). I could hold them of pretty well if not for one small thing. As I engage them to defend myself… the west village from which they came sends their forces in full-fucking-strength. Where the fuck is the logic in this whole thing?! I can’t really blame this on anything other that the programmers mistake.

m8-5-16.jpg

Not to mention they come and come like there is no fucking end to them.

m8-5-17.jpg

OK, NO MORE MR. FUCKING FAIR PLAY

m8-5-18.jpg

So I stop the first “production-wave” and wait for troops guarding the village.

m8-5-19.jpg

What? Where are they? FFFFFFUUUUUU………..

att00035.gif
att00035.gif
att00035.gif
att00035.gif
att00035.gif
att00035.gif
att00035.gif

This is fucking unbelievable… now when I’m trying to exploit the AI works by the book? Oh fuck it, play times over.

m8-5-20.jpg

We are going all out on the east village, my Helpers AI will get broke again but fuck it (they won’t resupply the G-T).

m8-5-21.jpg

Here they come.

m8-5-22.jpg

Still coming.

m8-5-6.jpg

Coming… my forces are on the limit, not to mention how many of those bloody Archers there are.

m8-5-23.jpg

2 Archers and 4 AxeAs left. Destroyed the obstacles so my Helpers can deliver the stone.

We are 2:00 hours into the mission, summing up the situation the west village lost there first “production wave” and the east village lost a very large part of there forces. This should stall both until I will be able to produce my own units (in something like 15-20min).

m8-5-24.jpg

Sweet fucking Jesus!

m8-5-25.jpg

Them manage to build another wave in less then 30min (I mean from 1:34). This is fucking insane!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Knights and Merchant, otherwise known as comrade WhiskeyWolf's futile attempt at going against the tide of cheating AI and an ocean of swarming barbarians :salute:

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Mission 8 (OH GOD!) Part 3

m8-6-1.jpg

So this is a summary of my last (lost) skirmish. Look at this shit:
- Units lost - 43
- Units killed – 231

I pretty sure that there is still at least 400+ enemy units left (from both villages), not to mention that their unit-production rate is horrendously fast. I’m in a worst situation then the Nazis, at least they had top-of-the-line hardware against numbers. I have shit equipment and shit numbers.

m8-6-2.jpg

Change of plan, instead of fighting both villages I will concentrate my effort on the west one. LOAD.

Ok, I beat the first production wave (time 1:35). I send in the Archer to lure them in and…

…nothing?

Wait, what? My Archer is standing there and firing away and those fucking barbarians somehow don’t give a shit, literally. They are standing there, in place… not to mention I already killed two of them. This is the most stoic AI in history of gaming. MOVE DAMN IT!

This may seem like an advantage but if I try to destroy them with one Archer I will waste to much time… and time is crucial here people. So I move in all my Archers (no pic, sorry), as soon as they open fire the whole village is after me… smart ass AI… not to mention few of them get killed in the process – FFFUUUUUU…

m8-6-3.jpg

Show me what you got, punk.

m8-6-4.jpg

Well, here comes a “not-yet-ready-production-wave”.

I did it, I survived – I’m left with 3 AxeAs and 10 Archers… I have to attack the village now! Oh my God! The two G-Ts are empty… Fuck Yeah! God is on my side! Now or never!

m8-6-5.jpg

KKKUUUUURRRRRRRWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

LOAD.

[uncertainty] I will concentrate on defense and try to repel any wave that will come. [/uncertainty]

Ok, manage to hold out against the second wave from the west village (time 2:05), I have enough hardware to make 20 Crossbows, only thing I need now are Recruits…

m8-6-6.jpg

(2:10) Fuck, no no no...

Here come the first wave from the east village.

m8-6-7.jpg

Look, they even brought the whole fucking family along, bunch of incestuous bastards.

m8-6-8.jpg

I’m screwed.

Oh, look now even the Saves disappeared... how nice.

Is this THE END?

(I sware... if I win this mission, I want a gold encrusted tag - "Master Strategist")

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
You should get a gold encrusted tag. The odds are pretty steeply against you, WW.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Mission 8 (OH GOD!) Part 4

RandomLurker said:
Oh, and for the eighth mission, it's useful to know that the AI seems kind of broken. Don't provoke the forces in the north west and most of them should die of hunger before attacking you (then again they may not - they always did when I played, but it's definitely a bug, so it's not a sure thing.
Yeah, I saw them when I started a new mission. More proof that the AI in this mission is going wild.
Brother None said:
The odds are pretty steeply against you, WW.
Well it’s time to level the odds!

m8-8-1.jpg

(time 0:20) Well now, this is my “Ultimate Defense”. Noticed that I split my 16 AxeAs into four squads so that each of those groups could defend one entrance (sides included)

IT FUCKING WORKED! I attacked the west village, the AI was sending one squad at a time (well once it send 2). I manage to annihilate 5 NCB and 3 Archer Squads. MAHAHAH!!!

m8-8-2.jpg

Fucking payback time! What? No more units? Well it sucks to be you! MAHAHAH!!!

HA!

m8-8-3.jpg

Time to fuck up their economy.

m8-8-4.jpg

Storage is the primary target – I’m so close to put this village out of commission. But of course the AI had a last AS up its sleeve. The last squad of NCB up north that will be here any second.

m8-8-5.jpg

There was a bit of LOADing here, so I destroyed the School to make place for the last showdown. To tell you the truth I was ready to lose all my units just to put an end to this village. Thank God that didn’t happen. My troop came out victorious.

m8-8-6.jpg

Now I just have to get rid of this G-T and my troops can safely leave this shit hole.

m8-8-7.jpg

So I’m left with 12 + 1 Archer and 10 AxeAs.

The question is what now. Do I attack or wait for more units? Well, my previous experiences thought me the best solution would be to… WASTE THE MOTHERFUCKERS! AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

m8-8-8.jpg

(time 1:00) Oh yes, come here, all of you.

As I suspected, as soon as the first NCB meet with my main forces the other enemy squads also started attacking.

m8-8-9.jpg

More pests.

m8-8-10.jpg

At his critical point my line collapsed and I had to move my Archers a bit back.

I wanted to LOAD but of course the saves went on vacation never to return. Well, my only option was to survive and that I did.

(Note: Now I have a few copies of the “Save” folder in a different place just in case.)

m8-8-11.jpg

Looks good, I will try my luck.

m8-8-12.jpg

Nope, as soon as I attack more troops from the north come out.

m8-8-13.jpg

Time to run.

m8-8-14.jpg

Didn’t make it… oh look they still have at least 2 Archer Squads. Fucking rich cunts.

m8-8-15.jpg

LOAD. Hmm, this will be not enough to stop those NCB… we need help… we need Captain Planet… well no, we need more melee troops.

I had an emergency plan just for this situation. When we were still battling the west village I ordered to produce 30 axes so in time of need I could recruit Axes. Now is the time.

m8-8-16.jpg

10 Axes, because I’m running out of gold, I need like 10min for my gold mine and mint to be able to produce gold chests.

m8-8-17.jpg

Axes are shit units but my tactics make shit turn into pure gold.

m8-8-18.jpg

My units got hungry In a really bad moment. Still, somehow I made it, with minimum losses.

m8-8-19.jpg

So I go to get more people to join the party.

m8-8-20.jpg

12 NCB inbound.

m8-8-21.jpg

After I kill them, some Helpers remain. I will help myself to them.

m8-8-22.jpg

At this point I don’t see any units because the fog-of-war. Of course I know there are a least 2 Archer Squads.

m8-8-23.jpg

There they are… oh, one NCB still lives… well not for long.

m8-8-24.jpg

When facing incoming Archers the best tactic is to move your melee units to the back.

m8-8-25.jpg

Here again I’m trying my luck, with some casualties I manage to beat the last Squad of Archers…

m8-8-26.jpg

…or so I thought.

m8-8-27.jpg

This is it, 8 melee units and 3 range, time to cut of their dick.

m8-8-28.jpg

So I enter their village.

Its 1:50 mission time and I'm slowly starting to wonder were are those fags on horses. 20 minutes left to the first wave, surly there must be some units on standby.

m8-8-29.jpg

Oh come on! A second line of G-T, what kind of a cheap tactic is this… oh, wait.

I will have to wait for my Archers to catch up.

m8-8-30.jpg

Nevermind that! Better run for your life!

m8-8-31.jpg

Pieces of shit gangbanging me.

The screens don’t really show the numbers of the enemy and how many I killed, but wait till you see the mission summary – you will shit bricks.

RandomLurker

Scholar
This is unbelievable. On some missions you just steamroll the enemy like a pro, on others you cannot win without stooping down to pussy exploits. Seriously man, what gives? Yeah, I know it's hard, but seriously man, seriously...

Also, this mission is pretty tough/FUN, but once you realise that the AI is completely bugged it gets pretty manageable. I think what triggers the wave assaults is scouting the enemy positions - at least that's when things started to go crazy the last time I played it (and were much tamer after I've reloaded and decided not to scout them before I had a proper army). And since you can't un-scout them, they just keep sending those waves, usually in the worst possible moment :P.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
RandomLurker said:
This is unbelievable. On some missions you just steamroll the enemy like a pro, on others you cannot win without stooping down to pussy exploits. Seriously man, what gives? Yeah, I know it's hard, but seriously man, seriously..

Seriously what? I'm not a fan of exploits either, but neither have I ever seen a game cheat so thoroughly as this one seems to. If the AI is going to cheat, why shouldn't WW.

But it'll be fun to see you do this mission easily, I guess.

RandomLurker

Scholar
Do this mission easily? Well, there is a way that's both easy and unexploity, but it is kind of tedious and I was hoping I'd never see this mission again. Oh well, the things I do for the Codex...

This save doesn't work with my version - I have TPR installed right now. I also don't have the proper save for TPR, so I hope you don't mind if I do some file fuckery and make mission 8 into mission 1 while playing it in TPR (I won't use any of the new features, don't worry). Pretty much the only noticeable difference will be the name on the saved games.

If it's true it still doesn't make any fucking sense.

I never said it did, but we both know how insane the AI in this game is. Still, that is what seems to trigger the big assaults.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
This save doesn't work with my version - I have TPR installed right now. I also don't have the proper save for TPR, so I hope you don't mind if I do some file fuckery and make mission 8 into mission 1 while playing it in TPR (I won't use any of the new features, don't worry). Pretty much the only noticeable difference will be the name on the saved games.
That's why I uploaded the whole fucking game so you won't have to fuck with the saves!

Sure, it's in polish but you can dig it.

RandomLurker

Scholar
WhiskeyWolf said:
That's why I uploaded the whole fucking game so you won't have to fuck with the saves!

So you did. It crashed when I've first tried to run it though, so I wasn't sure about that - and now that I've tried again it crashed 15 seconds into the game. Eh, time for some compatibility settings.

Does this version have time compression? I forgot, and it's an awesome feature.

WhiskeyWolf said:
Sure, it's in polish but you can dig it.

Heh, to akurat nie powinien być żaden problem biorąc pod uwagę moją narodowość :lol:.

RandomLurker

Scholar
Okay, done.

screenshot2009080723544.png

I'll post the whole thing tommorow after I get some sleep. It did take quite some time, but that's just my playstyle, I guess.

RandomLurker

Scholar
Mission 8 (the guest megaupdate)

You have an idea of the layout and the starting positions from the earlier screenshots by Whiskey Wolf, so lets just skip the introduction and jump straight into the action. In my game I've used the "don't provoke them until you're ready" strategy. I started by designating the construction of a school and three guard towers and scouting the northwestern corner of the map. It would give me an advantage in seeing when the first wave would start, allow me to show you a bug that makes this mission possible to win AT ALL (without exploits, I mean), and as an added bonus make the minimap look kind of like a dong :lol:. So, my scouts have found the barbarians:

screenshot2009080702311z.jpg

I was going to be ready for them:
screenshot2009080702360.jpg

About 8 minutes in, the enemy forces started moving, and near my positions were joined by reinforcements from the west. The screenshot below shows them when they'd almost reached my guard towers, and a little of the subsequent battle (this is probably the hardest moment in the whole mission).

screenshot2009080702371.jpg

screenshot2009080702380.jpg

screenshot2009080702394.jpg

About the same time the enemy moved into position to attack, another squad of northwestern barbarians activated and went to reinforce their comrades. I'd ultimately won, but at a high price:

screenshot2009080702405.jpg

The survivors were 3 axemen and 15 archers, which is kind of pathetic. Still, it didn't matter - those forces would be quite enough to let me survive for a long time. Also, it could have been much worse.

screenshot2009080702444.jpg

A large part of the barbarian force never moves from their starting position and, since they have no village to support them, dies of hunger without doing me any harm. If they did move, that would pretty much be game over. I really don't know what to think about this - on one hand it looks very much like a bug, on the other the initial battle would be unwinable if this didn't happen, and also I haven't once seen them actually attack. It's pretty weird.

In preparation for the future I finished the line of guard towers.

screenshot2009080702592.jpg

They would be very useful in the far future, even though from this point on I was mostly accosted by this (at least until I broke my "don't provoke the enemy" policy):

screenshot2009080703094.jpg

This here's what we in tha' biz' know as absolutely nothing at all.

After building up my lumber industry (of course not without a minor fuckup which would make me build the second carpenter's workshop later than planned) I had a decision to make. Here's my stockpile:

screenshot2009080703115.jpg

As you can see, I was kind of low on food, but also on gold. So my choice was this - what do I do first: provide food or provide gold? My gut told me that the food issue was more pressing (and it turned out it was), so I'd built 4 wineries:

screenshot2009080703175.jpg

And after that I'd designated the vineyards, but when the construction was taking ages I suddenly realised that I'd completely forgotten about the second carpenter's workshop! I cancelled all remaining vineyard designations and built that instead.

screenshot2009080703252.jpg

You may be wondering what's up with the road on which I'm building the workshop on this screenshot. You see, to build anything in KaM you need level terrain. Building a road levels the terrain somewhat, so sometimes when you face this uneven terrain problem it pays to build a road where you want to place a building. It did in this case, anyway.

After building the workshop I'd redesignated the vineyards:

screenshot2009080703395.jpg

Soon after that they were finished. Now, once again, I had two choices - provide better food (wine is kind of pathetic - you can only really feed your military on it, not the civilians, though it makes for OK emergency rations), or provide ANY gold. Once again I choose to delay getting the gold. Meanwhile, north west of my position:

screenshot2009080703450.jpg

Holy shit! It's a wolf, and it's coming right for us! We're doomed!

Yeah, not really, but still, this is the closest thing I'd get to a military danger for a looong time. So anyway, I'd built two farms, a bakery and a mill:

screenshot2009080703564.jpg

The next choice before me was - do I provide even better food (sausages) and leather for my future leather armors, or get the gold? Since I still had some coin coffers left, I chose the former. It involved building a few more farms, a pig farm, a butcher's house and a tannery. I did so, and I'd also built another mill and a bakery.

screenshot2009080704064.jpg

screenshot2009080704163.jpg

Now that the tannery was complete, I had another choice to make - I could build the armor producing workshops, or finally go for the gold?

If you guessed I'd go for the gold you kind of suck at patter recognition :lol:.

screenshot2009080704242.jpg

Finally, I was almost out of gold, so I was forced to start mining and processing it. Sadly, the gold mine would be seen from the other side of the mountain and thus end my non provocation policy, but like I said, I didn't really have a choice.

screenshot2009080704255.jpg

After placing the mines, I spent the last 4 chests of my gold on 2 miners, 1 furnace operator and also 1 recruit just for the hell of it. It later turned out I should have taken 3 miners and no recruit, but I figured there was about 66,(6)% chance that one of my miners would man the gold mine and thus it wouldn't matter. Of course I couldn't have been so lucky, so later I had to destroy and rebuild one of the coal mines to force its occupant to mine me some gold.

While I'd been building the roads to the mines though, this happened:

screenshot2009080704274.jpg

Yep, the first not scripted attack finally came, about 2 hours into the game. The enemy was pretty numerous and well equipped, but my guard towers and the quick reactions of my haulers (who were restocking the meager ammo stocks in the towers while under attack) let me beat them back. Still, around the end the computer figured out how to use the ranged attacks and managed to inflict some casualties on me.

screenshot2009080704295.jpg

Forces remaining: 2 axemen (1 killed, soon to be replaced), 10 archers (5 killed).

Soon after the attack I'd finished my mint:

screenshot2009080704444.jpg

Now that my gold levels had a way to increase, I once again had a choice to make - do I spend the gold on haulers (I had only 24, and about 40 are necessary for a town this size), or on the recruits. Also, I probably had to rethink my defence, but it might have not been necessary. I chose to build 16 haulers and not change anything about my defence arrangements. I got hit by a small and easily beatable attack from the west, and then, after about 10 minutes, I got hit by both the northern town and the western town by their knights, with the following effect (there were more troops incoming from the west):

screenshot2009080705055.jpg

I reloaded, and built two guard towers near the gold mine:

screenshot2009080705073.jpg

I left the rest of the plan the same. It turns out to be a bad idea - just look two screenshots back for the approximate effect of my efforts. So I reloaded once again, and this time not only did I build the two towers, but I only trained 6 haulers, and after that I quickly trained my army so that I had 10 axemen (that's +7) and 15 archers (+5). Luckily, I'd ordered the production of some weapons and armor earlier in anticipation of the ultimate military buildup, so all I needed were recruits. This time when they came I was ready:

screenshot2009080705252.jpg

I won, though my survival rate wasn't really all that great:

screenshot2009080705273.jpg

Yep, all of the axemen died. Not only that, the constant reloading of the guard towers under enemy attack left me with 12 haulers out of the 40 necessary for the smooth running of the town, and there was no gold in the school because of me spending it on 5 more recruits during the assault. Things were not looking up.

screenshot2009080705292.jpg

I used the 5 recruits to get 5 axemen, who would be very important in case of an attack - they were needed to make the enemy stop so that the archers could make the fully damaging shots, not to mention not get killed by the enemies getting close. I also restarted the hauler buildup, which was going to take a long time, as the gold mine was destroyed (luckily, the miner survived) and first needed to be rebuilt. While all that was happening, I had to defend myself against a few comparatively minor attacks:

screenshot2009080715484.jpg

screenshot2009080715510.jpg

screenshot2009080715522.jpg

My guard towers and archers made short work of them, so I'd survived with minimal casualties (1 axeman, 1 archer).

screenshot2009080715525.jpg

When my hauler number got to 30 I started the great infrastructure completion effort:

screenshot2009080715544.jpg

screenshot2009080715550.jpg

After some time has passed, my haulers were numerous, the economy was running smoothly, and once again I seemed to be free from the attacks. I used that time to finally start to seriously build up my army:

screenshot2009080716165.jpg

That's 20 axemen and 20 archers. I'd decided that it was time to stop hiding behind the towers and try to defend in the field. Sure enough, soon after I moved my units an attack started:

screenshot2009080716223.jpg

screenshot2009080716240.jpg

screenshot2009080716250.jpg

They just kept coming.

screenshot2009080716251.jpg

screenshot2009080716274.jpg

My casualties: 0. So, what happened? Well, the enemy did have a significant force, but it was going in a single file right into the killzone of my archers. The AI is also kind of retarded where it isn't scripted - basically, it just issues a move command on your position whenever it wants a unit to fight if said unit isn't fighting already. This has an obvious drawback when dealing with the most murdersome units on the battlefield - archers and crossbowmen. They won't start attacking until they stop walking, and they won't stop walking until the external circumstances force them to. And since their goal is your position they usually simply walk right into your melee troops and die.

I continued the buildup (and also started to process iron for my future knights) and soon:

screenshot2009080716530.jpg

40 axemen, 40 archers. That's a pretty significant force, enough to easily destroy the western town. But first I needed to get them provisions. While they were waiting, another wave approached (there were many more soldiers than shown in the screenshot):

screenshot2009080716542.jpg

I figured I'd defeat it easily enough and I was clearly winning...

screenshot2009080716570.jpg

...when this happened:

screenshot2009080716575.jpg

Right. I figured I'd still probably have survived this, but producing the army is kind of tedious, so I reloaded and positioned my soldiers differently. Soon, the battle was joined:

screenshot2009080717000.jpg

screenshot2009080717002.jpg

screenshot2009080717004.jpg

screenshot2009080717005.jpg

screenshot2009080717013.jpg

screenshot2009080717040.jpg

screenshot2009080717044.jpg

screenshot2009080717044.jpg

The aftermath.

screenshot2009080717053.jpg

Only 2 of my archers died, but I needed 34 new axemen. Also, soon after I had a chance to regroup (though not before I could reinforce my squads), the western enemy launched another attack:

screenshot2009080717062.jpg

screenshot2009080717074.jpg

screenshot2009080717081.jpg

This was a pretty big stroke of luck. With 38 archers positioned the way those were, I could kill pretty much everything well before it actually had a chance to hit something. These forces could have been a problem when I'd later tried to take the western town, and here they were dying without causing me any harm. Soon after that, my army was rebuilt.

screenshot2009080717221.jpg

Finally ready to go on the offensive I'd devised a plan. First, I'd position my troops this way:

screenshot2009080717252.jpg

screenshot2009080717253.jpg

Then my archers would open fire on that mine for a while - long enough to annoy the enemy into trying to kill the archers. Then I'd stop, funnel the enemy into the killing zone, and destroy their army. It worked.

screenshot2009080717255.jpg

screenshot2009080717264.jpg

screenshot2009080717274.jpg

As ususal the screnshots don't do the enemy forces justice. Anyway, all of my archers survived, and also quite a few of the axemen, while the enemie had wasted all of their garrison forces - the town would be defended only by whatever forces they had time to recruit after this asswoopin'. Now, I'd devised a plan where I would systematically eliminate the guard towers and those stragglers, and cut a way through the enemy town straight to their storehouse.

I didn't use that plan. I simply said "aw, fuck it", and sent the axemen in with the intention of seeing what would happen.

screenshot2009080717282.jpg

The forces inside weren't very numerous or well equipped, but sadly they were positioned so that my own soldiers would get in range of the eastern guard towers. In the meantime, I'd ordered my archers back into my town to help some newly trained axemen defend it in case of an attack.

screenshot2009080717321.jpg

screenshot2009080717374.jpg

screenshot2009080717375.jpg

screenshot2009080717395.jpg

screenshot2009080717410.jpg

screenshot2009080717431.jpg

Oh well, 4 of them survived somehow and destroyed the primary targets (the storehouse and 2 inns), and also their barracks as a bonus.

After that I'd tried to bring as many of them as possible back home.

screenshot2009080717441.jpg

screenshot2009080717443.jpg

screenshot2009080717455.jpg

screenshot2009080717473.jpg

screenshot2009080717475.jpg

Thanks to the towers, starvation and retarded hauler AI (which somehow managed to just walk by the starving axeman while carrying food), only 1 made it. Still, 1 out of the projected 0 is pretty good, I think. Next, I'd trained a scout to tell me what I'd be up against when assaulting the northern town.

screenshot2009080717541.jpg

screenshot2009080718031.jpg

Yep, this was going to be epic. I needed an epic army, or at least a bigger one than I had when assaulting the western town.

screenshot2009080723204.jpg

This would do. I put my guys into position, sent the "activator" archer to start the battle, and went asskicking.

screenshot2009080723243d.jpg

screenshot2009080723245.jpg

screenshot2009080723271.jpg

screenshot2009080723274.jpg

screenshot2009080723281.jpg

screenshot2009080723284.jpg

Victory! After that, all that remained was to burn everything to the ground until I'd hit whatever the victory trigger was.

screenshot2009080723303.jpg

screenshot2009080723313.jpg

screenshot2009080723334.jpg

screenshot2009080723341.jpg

screenshot2009080723342.jpg

screenshot2009080723352.jpg

screenshot2009080723415.jpg

Apparently, to win I also had to destroy the second town, which was a ghost town by now:

screenshot2009080723440.jpg

So I went and started razing it too.

screenshot2009080723503.jpg

screenshot2009080723534.jpg

The mission finally ended after I'd destroyed the enemy school.

screenshot2009080723544.jpg

Notice the number of the enemies killed - it's really hard to capture those numbers on screenshots, but this should put all my statements about stuff not seen on them into perspective.

Anyway, here's the game with the saves:
http://rapidshare.com/files/264995404/KnightsAndMerchants.zip.html
(goddamnit, I really had to fight the temptation to put a tubgirl link there. Fuck you codex, fuck you)

So anyway, WhiskeyWolf, I'm leaving the country for about a month and going to places with very little internet access, so now I hope that when I come back, I won't see any more exploits here. Because, seriously man, acting like a pussy is no way to do such an LP.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I really don't know what to think about this - on one hand it looks very much like a bug, on the other the initial battle would be unwinable if this didn't happen, and also I haven't once seen them actually attack.
(...)
The AI is also kind of retarded where it isn't scripted - basically, it just issues a move command on your position whenever it wants a unit to fight if said unit isn't fighting already.

So you're basically exploiting faulty AI to win? Sounds familiar...

Nice win, too bad your victories depended on exploiting broken enemy AI.

Pussy.

RandomLurker

Scholar
thesheeep said:
He made it look more or less easy...

It was, actually. Just pretty tedious.

So you're basically exploiting faulty AI to win?

I'm not a native english speaker, but I do believe that "fuck you" is the proper response to such a querry in this context.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think he can be blamed for exploiting the AI.
The big army didn't attack. That is not his fault.

The AI does simple move commands. Not his fault, too.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
RandomLurker said:
I'm not a native english speaker, but I do believe that "fuck you" is the proper response to such a querry in this context.

Really? Why? Think about it for a second. Neither you nor WhiskeyWolf can win without being helped by broken AI. Is it such a big difference-maker that WW stimulated the brokenness that it warrants the cries of "pussy" you've been spamming throughout this thread. Seriously, since you can't beat this game without exploiting faults either, what exactly justified your harpy attitude throughout?

RandomLurker

Scholar
Brother None said:
Really? Why?

Because it's the simple universal answer against sophistry, but okay, I'll give you a lenghtier one. I really didn't think you actually believed what you were saying here (and if you were, then it's all the more reason to cut this 'discussion' short), and thought that you were probably just trying to teach me a lesson about not calling people on the internet names, which is all kinds of silly. Your second post seems to confirm this. The fact of the matter is, I wouldn't even mind WW's exploits (hell, I might have had even cheered if he only did it once and then played it off for lulz) if not for the accompanying "look how awesome I am, for I have devised this TACTIC!" comments (I'm paraphrasing, of course), and the fact that he's just using them over and over. By mission 4, which was the second time he used it, he wasn't even trying to justify it - lets recall the exact words...

[screenshot of exploiting]
"The next guy saying something against this tactic is getting stabbed in the eyes. " (the comment was prompted by my earlier voice of reservations about it during mission 2. Quick and to the point, though not very nice)

My reply:
"I'm not going to say anything about that certain tactic, I'm just going to call you a pussy and move on." (I've taken the cue from WW, so my reply was quick, to the point and not very nice either)

Yep, that was totally uncalled for. And oh, that's pretty much the only time I called him a pussy before the "stooping down to pussy exploits" line, which was after he spammed the dummy designations and pretty much told everyone you need to do that in order to win (you don't) and, adding an insult to dumbassery, asked for 'a gold encrusted tag - "Master Strategist"' right after a screenshot showing them :lol:. Still, count 'em - that's 2 (two) times I've called anything "pussy" in this thread before my own mission 8 guest update. There's also 1 (one) time I did it in the update itself and, even though that was more of a reference to my earlier comment than anything, we can count it and it adds up to 3 (three) usages. Word for word, you're approaching my levels here - truly, I have spammed those "cries" to high heavens throughout the thread.

As for what is different between us since we both benefit from the wonky AI, well, he actively breaks it for no good reason using a game mechanic that wasn't even supposed to be used in this context and makes it seem like a completely necessary step in order not to lose (which I know for a fact is false), while I simply don't go out of my way to fix its bugs (what would you have me to do? Hack the game and rewrite the AI?). All of this is kind of obvious, really.

And as for the attitude, it's all because I want a good show, dammit, and I know he can provide it (just look at his treatment of mission 5 and 7) but those COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY exploits bring down the difficulty from easy/medium (with rare hard interludes) down to retarded and together with the comments completely ruin it for me, so I voice my displeasure. It's not all I do though - or did you miss those other posts?

I hope this is a satisfactory answer since in less than an hour I'll basically be cut off from the innurwebs for about a month, and so you won't get another for some time.

catfood

AGAIN
What screen capturing program do you guys use?

@Thor Kaufman
Yes, I belive the feature to speed up time was added in the expansion; press F8. Also the button to delete buildings is in the row where the road, farmland etc are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom