Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play: Knights And Merchants: The Shattered Kingdom

catfood

AGAIN
That was an interesting strategy you used. What I always do is post all my units at the bridge and hold the line. Most of the time a few militia men or axe fighters survive plus all 6 archers. What I do after I destroy the enemy soldiers is rush to their barracks and post 1 unit in front of its entrance. Placing a unit in front of the entrance of a building makes the building completely useless so I always aim for the entrance. That way new weapons and recruits can't enter, and soldiers can't come out.

Also I believe there is a glitch of some sort that makes units do more damage if they hit the building at the same time; just right click on the building when you have it surrounded and they will sync their strikes.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
"there" when you mean "their"
Sorry.
please explain what the hell "reaming" is
"remaining" - Sorry.
because it sounds like a deviant sexual act
Now I have doubts if I want to correct that.
not very sporting to exploit the game like that, is it?
This whole game is not very "sporty", is it?
Well, here's a little challenge for you: when you get to that mission where you fight that big battle alongside the yellow pikemen try to win it with as many of them alive as possible - at least one has to survive though. It's doable, and FUN*!
I accept... sounds like more masochistic fun :twisted:
Most of the time a few militia men or axe fighters survive plus all 6 archers. What I do after I destroy the enemy soldiers is rush to their barracks and post 1 unit in front of its entrance. Placing a unit in front of the entrance of a building makes the building completely useless so I always aim for the entrance. That way new weapons and recruits can't enter, and soldiers can't come out.
Hmm... intriguing... although I'm not so sure if that is correct. In #2 mission I remember that if I placed my Axes in front of the Armoury the hungry recruits just pushed them aside. The thing may look different with a "one person squads".

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Mission #3

post-1.jpg

Destination… the East Front.

KAM, has two different types of missions:
1. Build & Fight (two previous missions)
2. Fight (think of this as a Total War battle, you don’t build anything… you just fight with what you have got)

Mission #3 is the second type.
post-21.jpg

Our troops:
- 24 Archers
- 24 Axe-Armours

So basically we have to take up a position and stand our ground. Victory condition: total annihilation of the enemy forces.

post-3.jpg

I choose this place – locked from 3 sides and a high ground perfect for the Archers.

map03.jpg

Tactics.

I should mention that this is probably the most relaxing type of missions - takes something like 10 minutes. Your role comes down to placing the troops and then making some slight adjustments mid-battle.

post-4.jpg

The shit hits the frying pan. I think I don’t have to mention I’m heavily outnumbered.

post-5.jpg

Not good, 6 enemy Archers came out of the shadow from the north.

In contrast to the melee units, range units don’t “gray out” (you have constant control over them). Although I ordered my Archers to start a counter-attack they just ignored my orders and continued firing away at the enemy to the south.

The thing with this is that they work like a claymore mine…
claymore-thumb.jpg

…even if the enemy is very close they won’t attack. Even if you give them a direct order.

So, how it ended?

post-6.jpg

Archers killed… I’m officially fucked.

post-7.jpg

Uberfail.

map032-between-7-8.jpg

Change of plan.

post-8.jpg

The same situation but this time the Archers can’t ambush me from behind.

post-9.jpg

Thar she blows!

They are not moving? The AI is programmed that if it doesn’t encounter anyone it stops at specific positions. So what do we do? We move a bit closer.

post-10.jpg

Still nothing? Ok.

post-11.jpg

There, the arrows final caught there attention….

post-12.jpg

…and everybody else’s attention too.

To ARMS! No, not the nears Pub.

post-13.jpg

They are here, wonder how it will end.

post-14.jpg

Well, those Archers just walked right into our melee troops. Awesome!

post-15.jpg

Last men standing… well not exactly.

post-16.jpg

There was one more marauder that was stuck on some mountain – I had the time to reform my ranks. Now you can see him on the far-left right before his execution.

post-17.jpg

7 minutes. Although, I said that those type of mission are the most relaxing if your positions and tactics are not 100% spot-on… You Will Die. Period.

So kids, next time we will again have a “Build & Fight” mission. Oh yes, have in mind… this is where the fun ends… and the struggle for survival starts.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
WhiskeyWolf said:
So kids, next time we will again have a “Build & Fight” mission. Oh yes, have in mind… this is where the fun ends… and the struggle for survival starts.

This was fun so far?

Don't worry, WW, I'll support you no matter how badly you get pwned.

Krash

Arcane
Entertaining!

I remember trying out the demo ages ago, maybe it's time to take it for another spin

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Mission (fucking) 4 - Part 1

post-mission-4.jpg

Our task at hand is to conquer the Stronghold Malbor… I mean Lauenburg.

It belongs to Baron von Lauenburg. To call your castle after yourself is really a sign of bad taste.

Battle Plan
map04-1.jpg

The situation is as follow:

Our Forces:
- 12 Archers
- 9 Lancers
- 12 AxeAs

Economy:
Small

The Enemy:
- Number of units: Unknown – Estimating to be somewhere between 4-5 the size of our forces
- Economy: Two Villages – Large and Medium

The Plan #1 Stage:
1. Defend against the enemy raiding forces.
2. Then counter-attack and in few stages push the enemy back to its village.
3. Destroy the School and kill as many people as possible.

C – Coal (vital for the heavy industry)
$ - Gold Ore
Yellow “X” – Guard Tower (more explanation later)

map04-2.jpg

The Plan #2 Stage:
1. & 2. – “Hit and Run” by an Archer
3. We fight the enemy by the bridge on our terms.

A – Archer (because I can’t be assed to draw a bow every time)

So basically this is a contest of who has the bigger one…
map04-3.jpg

…there may be two of them but they are both limp and mine is hard as a rock.

post-mission-4-1.jpg

Starting positions – the government is planning a “4 Hour Plan” of rapid economical growth so buckle you seatbelts; it’s going to be a ruff ride.

post-mission-4-2.jpg

I destroyed two buildings because they where in the way and the government of this country does not fuck around.

Plus, building a School and widening the sidewalk.

post-mission-4-3.jpg

Slight correct… for now I only need a sidewalk here.

post-mission-4-4.jpg

Troops by the bridge.

post-mission-4-5.jpg

A Save-Look-Around-Load Recon.

Axe-Horses, Lancers, and a shit load off Archers. I probably could sneak by those Lancers and head north but those Archers on the right will stuff us full of wood. No trick play for now.

post-mission-4-6.jpg

To slow, the central-committee is not pleased.

post-mission-4-7.jpg

Finally the double sidewalk so there will be less traffic-jam.

post-mission-4-8.jpg

Because we are using up stone in an astronomical rate we need two quarries.

post-mission-4-9.jpg

For a rapid growing economy we need a large amount of Helpers.

post-mission-4-10.jpg

The troops look like they need food.

From what I know the enemy should attack after I feed my troops… well not exactly after I feed them but sometime after they get hungry.

post-mission-4-11.jpg

The next guy saying something against this tactic is getting stabbed in the eyes.

post-mission-4-12.jpg

So the Lancers are the last on which we need to waste our precious supp… wait, what? Why are the Helpers going to the AxeAs?

fuuuuu.png

I pressed the “Give Us the Grub” button while having selected the wrong squad. Fuck.

Just great, what next…

fuuuuu0.png

I can’t believe this, the fucking AI broke the wood isn’t delivered from the Carpenter to the Storage (or straight to the building site). Believe me, this is not a normal game mechanic... although lets assume it is somehow "normal".

So I thought that maybe the Carpenters are too far from the Storage, so I tried to build another Storage closer.

post-mission-4-13.jpg

They actually brought the wood to that building site… but still did not transport it after the Storage was ready.

I thought – “What the hell” – so I build the Armoury also close to the Carpenters, they delivered the wood but the AI was still broken... then I experience the Enlightenment™. I destroyed the Carpenters Workshop that was the far rest from the Main Storage – Presto, it went back to normal. I see that some stuff must be closer then the other.

post-mission-4-14.jpg

So to get back some lost time I loaded a save that was made something like 5 minutes ago (before I build the Armoury). So I demolished the Carpenters Workshop (again) and…

rage2do6.jpg

It didn’t work this time, FUCK!!! I demolished another Workshop, still nothing. God damn this! (You may notice that I started to build the Armory again even though I didn’t manage to set the AI on it’s tracks…don’t ask why… I just stopped giving a shit).

So summing this whole shit up – the mission time is 45min, I will load the save that was make in the 10min (before I build the “Wood Industry”) and start from there. Because of this incident I left out a lot of detail about how I will build my economy: Food to the west, Heavy Industry to the south… etc.

All that in the next update.

One last thing, before I quit in the 45min I got a message that the troops are (again) hungry. From the info I got the enemy should have attacked… my Intel is wrong or this mission will be more interesting then I thought. Awesome!

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Ok, I found the cause of this whole missing wood bullshit. It's a bug although easy to counter. More detail tomorrow.
Darth Roxor said:
…there may be two of them but they are both limp and mine is hard as a rock.

and it seems to cum blood of RAGE
fix

RandomLurker

Scholar
I'm not going to say anything about that certain tactic, I'm just going to call you a pussy and move on.

Oh, and when the computer starts doing something retarded with the supplies (like that wood thing, or not delivering any construction supplies to buildings designated for construction after a certain point) it usually pays to stop everything that needs said supplies, save and reload from the same point. This seems to help - usually.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Crying_baby_Picapp_60379.jpg

Today I had my first crisis... I started having serious doubts if I will ever finish this game or the 4th mission. Because of that damn wood-bug I couldn't produce weapons... and the enemy numbers were just fucking insane. Luckly I finally found the cause and managed to drown the enemy in my Blood of Rage . Next update will be tomorrow.
I'm not going to say anything about that certain tactic, I'm just going to call you a pussy and move on.
I was think about what you said. I even assumed that there may be some truth to this but after today... your words seem to me like a load of bullshit. This game reminded me that Survival comes before Fair Play.

Damn, it was so long since I played something really challanging :twisted:

JrK

Prophet
Holy crap! I just tried my hand at the Peasant's Rebellion addon thing... The FIRST mission involves you with about 21 lancers, 9 pikeman, 9 swordsmen and 9 scouts against this gigantically huge army. You're given some supplies and a training facility to build more troops, but don't really have the TIME to actually build an army from that as after about 5 minutes the peasants are dead and you have failed.

RandomLurker

Scholar
WhiskeyWolf said:
Damn, it was so long since I played something really challanging :twisted:

I know what you mean, but seriously, I got to level 20 in this game when I was what, 15? And I never had to resort to using such exploits, so really, you shouldn't have to do that either.

Also, mission 4 is kind of easy - try slipping some cavalry through while distracting their forces and destroying their storehouses (not both at once, obviously). I'm playing this game right now and I'm at mission 7 - say hello to ridiculous amounts of fortified steel clad enemies. FUN!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
What are all these lame excuses about AI bugs and unfair difficulty ? Have you gone soft whiskey-boy ? RandomLurker is already in mission 7 and he's done that without using your cowardly exploiting strategies. Are you gonna let him beat you ? Or are you going to be a real man like him ? What are you , a 15yearold? Even if you are, you should at least get to level 20, or you're a pussy.

RandomLurker

Scholar
ghostdog said:
RandomLurker is already in mission 7 and he's done that without using your cowardly exploiting strategies.

This is no longer true, as I've just completed that mission. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I loved your Shadow of the Comet LP, but somehow missed the Strife one - I'll go read that right now.

Oh, and back on topic - a pretty obvious yet extremely useful trick is to never attack anything near watchtowers while their operators are inside. Just wait until they go for a snack (they tend to leave their posts all at once) - you'll know why I've mentioned this soon enough :P.

catfood

AGAIN
So I restarted this game AGAIN in an attempt to finish it. I completed the fourth mission yesterday and it's quite easy to do it. Basically you can use the cheesy "use an archer to pull the enemy toward you" tactic to get the enemy units from across the bridge to attack you. If you do it right you can pull them in 1 squad at a time, even the archers. After that it gets even easier; stroll into their town with you remaining troops (you should have quite a few spearmen and axe fighters plus all your archers).

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Mission 4 - Part 2

Let’s start - economical part.
post-mission-4-51.jpg

This is the west district – food production. This is a typical Slavic village - the vineyards take up most of the place.

I also have some farms and a pigsty – yes, they produce food but here their main purpose is to supply my war machine with leather armors (yes I know this time there is no “u”).

post-mission-4-5-1.jpg

Well fuck! The attack finally started – time 1:16 – Cavalry, Archer and some Lancers… to sum it up a lot of them.

I should mention that somewhere in this heat of battle I saved... thaen a few seconds later I wanted to save again and SURPRISE! All your previous saves vanished... this game doesn't play fair at all.

post-mission-4-5-2.jpg

Somehow I survived their onslaught… 4 AxeA and 6 Archers. Why so few Archers? The bridge is a high ground so the enemy Archers had their fun. From your perspective this may not look hard but believe me, it is.

After that single Horseman started attacking so it wasn’t difficult to defend… until… but about later.

post-mission-4-5-3.jpg

The central-east part will produce weapons and armor.

post-mission-4-5-4.jpg

The north will make wood, at the south I also have a small wood industry.

post-mission-4-5-5.jpg

The Quarries. Remember the first part? That mountain is vanishing very fast.

post-mission-4-5-6.jpg

Building extra Storages helps loosen up the congestion that is a natural byproduct when you have 40 Helpers running around.

post-mission-4-5-7.jpg

Coal mines (did I mention how important they are) and some gold ore mines (to the right, one is behind the screen).

post-mission-4-5-8.jpg

Oh no, everything was fine until two squads of Archers came out - I managed to slay the first one but as you see only two soldiers are still standing and the enemy is still... how would you say this... in "large numbers".

Now came the crisis, the wood was not delivered to the Weapon Workshops, I had only 14 axes in the Armoury. I wanted to make a 20man Cavalry squad (I had 20 horses from the start, I made more leather armors then I needed 10 wooden shields although they were produced). So I waited and waited but still nothing. While the enemy was restoring his forces fast.
post-mission-4-5-9.jpg

"To hell with this..." I thought and made those 14 Cavalrymen. I wanted to outmaneuver them and destroy the Storage.

post-mission-4-5-10.jpg

But they came after me... I failed...

post-mission-4-5-11.jpg

...again and again.

This is the breaking point - what to do? 14 men and no hope for reinforcements. THINK! Well there was quite a simple solution to this problem really. Time-travel.

I loaded the save that I made right before those 2 AxeA on the bridge died. Made 10 Cavalryman and send to battle... I ended up killing all the forces that stood between me and the village. When you killed all the enemy soldiers it's best to target their Armoury first so no new units can be made.

post-mission-4-5-12.jpg

Those brave 8 warriors reached their destination.

post-mission-4-5-13.jpg

One village less.

husaria4zpar7.jpg

Victory

post-mission-4-5-14.jpg

Now the Storage.

By this time I found out what was the cause off all my AI trouble. “Obstacles” on the bridge somehow messed up the Helper AI… - a double edge sword. After I destroyed them everything went back to normal.

post-mission-4-5-15.jpg

This Ladies & Gentleman is the Guard-tower. Dangerous as hell. Manned by one Recruit, can fire a stone every two seconds, magazine capacity 10 rounds. One-hit-kill (no matter if you are a Peasant or a Knight).

post-mission-4-5-16.jpg

Looks safe.

post-mission-4-5-17.jpg

NOT!

post-mission-4-5-18.jpg

Let’s check back how out town (because it's big enough to be called so) is doing.

Wasn't there... you know... a mountain?

post-mission-4-5-19.jpg

A small recon.

As you can see the best solution will be to hit the left flank.

post-mission-4-5-20.jpg

This is serious biznes people, aggressive economy FTW!

post-mission-4-5-21.jpg

Using the usual "Robin Hood" number to weaken their forces.

post-mission-4-5-22.jpg

Someone will hate me for this... "Tactic".

post-mission-4-5-23.jpg

Hey you bastards! Come back here! I ain't finished with you!

post-mission-4-5-24.jpg

More dead-man inbound.

post-mission-4-5-25.jpg

After feeding my Archers I noticed something very worrisome. My food stocks instead of growing are falling. This wasn’t exactly unexpected – I had something like 40 Recruits in the Armoury. Conclusion – we have to lower the numbers of our troops…

post-mission-4-5-26.jpg

…with an all out attack.

post-mission-4-5-27.jpg

I still needed to empty that left flank from as many enemy soldiers as possible.

post-mission-4-5-28.jpg

Ok, no more visible units on their left. Time to attack.

post-mission-4-5-29.jpg

I send Axes first so they will kill what Archers remained and take a little bit stone to their heads. Note: if a unit is moving the stone won’t always hit.

post-mission-4-5-30.jpg

My Archers got hit from the right while my Cavalry is penetrating base.

post-mission-4-5-31.jpg

They are as good as dead.

post-mission-4-5-32.jpg

Four left but I fulfilled my objective.

post-mission-4-5-33.jpg

The situation doesn’t look that bad, although there is no food. Well those two guys at the bottom look “dying enough”.

post-mission-4-5-34.jpg

Their two last defenses.

post-mission-4-5-35.jpg

Oh shit, well some of them will die but ultimately everything will get back on track.

post-mission-4-5-36.jpg

Their last forces that I bypassed earilier.

post-mission-4-5-37.jpg

Trained a few AxeA and attacked, the Archers walked right into my hands.

post-mission-4-5-38.jpg

:lol: mad laugh.

post-mission-4-5-39.jpg

It’s good again.

post-mission-4-5-40.jpg

Wait what? Wasn’t there… ah never mind.

post-mission-4-5-41.jpg

No enough man… not that it ever stopped me.

post-mission-4-5-42.jpg

If the Recruits are hungry they will not attack.

post-mission-4-5-43.jpg

Hey! There’s food.

post-mission-4-5-44.jpg

Building two more Schools so we can spam the enemy with our troops faster.

post-mission-4-5-45.jpg

Dobranoc.

post-mission-4-5-46.jpg

I made it under 3 hours.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Oh, and back on topic - a pretty obvious yet extremely useful trick is to never attack anything near watchtowers while their operators are inside. Just wait until they go for a snack (they tend to leave their posts all at once) - you'll know why I've mentioned this soon enough .
It would be "extremely useful" if not for the wait... let''s not forget that your units also get hungry.

skyway

Educated
Dude, their there...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom