Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Let's Play Invisible Inc. and fuck melonhead corps with espionage.

Hellraiser

Arcane
...or die trying. Most likely. Since you know, this game is basically what happens if X-Com fucks Deus Ex and forgets to use a condom. Kind of. Basically I need a break from calculating delta-v and failing at aerobraking, so I finally decided to play this fresh purchase. It's pretty good for a rapid fire, play until you fail session after work. Kind of like FTL.

Oh, yes, this is basically kind of like X-Com with cyberpunk corporate espionage focusing on stealth and thievan rather than xenos purging. So stealth squad tactics.

Index (which I will probably forget to update, again):

1) Run I/Part 1: Stealing from melonheads is technically not stealing. (this post)
Run I/Part 2: Daemon tools.

Run I: Part 1
Stealing from melonheads is technically not stealing.

Inc1-01.png

Just in time for the latest update release. Forgot what it adds, oh, some alternative starting build for one the agents I think and some items and new Daemons (in the anti-hacking countermeasures context).

Inc1-02.png

I am NOT playing on Ironman. Why? Because non-ironman has no reloading anyway, just a "rewind" features which bring you back to the start of your previou turn. Which you can only do once per mission. This is basically a fate point to guard against those really unlucky situations.

Inc1-03.png

I have 4 starting agents to pick from since I unlocked two through gaining "exp" for playthroughs. If you played Klei's other title, Don't Starve, you will be familiar with this system. It also unlocks new items and incognita software.

I pick Deckard and Internationale, who are the two agents you start with anyway. Agents have different loadouts plus starting skills. Deckard focuses on stealth and recon, while internationale makes hacking systems easier.

I also pick lockpick 1.0 and power drip for incognita software. More on Incognita (which was the name of this game before they changed it to the current one) soon.

Inc1-04.png

Time is of the essence, traveling to mission sites takes time. Similar to FTL you can't just play too cautious and safe and just grind, both the mission screen and the missions themselves have time working against you.

The goal is simple, use the time I have to deck out my agents as best as possible for the final mission.

Inc1-05.png

Inc1-06.png

Nanofab, low security, close. Perfect for the first run. This means stealing precious corporate yehudim zahav and a shop with good shit.

Inc1-07.png

The Alarm mechanic, it builds tension and means I need to move fast. Some people are whining about it, so there will be an option to disable it, but IMO it makes the game more fun by adding risk.

Inc1-08.png

I switch into cyberspace view from regular meatspace. Here I can use Incognita. Incognita is the AI aiding my agents. It uses power (PWR) to use abilities, in my case hacking firewalls (lockpick 1.0). Power is gained from gaining access to (unsecured) corporate terminals around the mission map. It can be also gained via other means, passively with power drip or through items.

I got PWR from a terminal next to my starting location, have a total of 13 now. Lockpick 1.0 uses 2 PWR to break one level of firewall. The safe has exactly 1 level.

Normally one needs to get close to a device to hack it, but Internationale, my elite haxor, has WiFi installed in her head, allowing her to hack devices from range. The joy of cybernetic augmentations!

Inc1-09.png

Meatspace tactical view. Agents have AP, AP is used for all actions other than using inventory or attacks. You can only attack/overwatch or use an item once per turn, period.

Internationale spends AP on peeking through the door, she then opens it to lure the guard into the room while she stands in melee overwatch. Note the "?" and his cone of view, he saw the door open and thus reacted.

Inc1-10.png

About knocking out guards. Both my agents have some stun watchamacallthem neural disrupter something, nothing else to fight with, for now. It has a 2 turn cooldown and KOs a guard for two turns. Luckily an agent can stand on a tile with the KO'd guard to pin him, this pauses the countdown and prolongs the KO state. You can of course drag KO'd guards around.

I steal some precious yehzah. Stealing from melonheads is technically not stealing. It is justice.

Inc1-11.png

Deckard hears a guard, the guards movement is marked on the map, but only the movement that was within Deckard's hearing range.

Inc1-12.png

Second guard KO'd but first one woke up. He will now be suspicious and quite inquisitive, but not too actively sweeping for my agents.

Stealing passcard, it opens red secure doors (note, guard elevators also have red doors but).

Inc1-13.png

Internationale's scanner (she starts with it) passively detects a power source. I hack it and disable a laser fence of burning doom somewhere.

Inc1-14.png

Found the elevator, this is my exit route. When I grab the main objective and loot whatever is worth the risk of looting, I will bail using it.

Inc1-15.png

Guard route observation is also an action that costs AP. Just 1, but this is the beginning and few guard are around, later on though...

Inc1-16.png

Inc1-17.png

Snuck up behind him and whacked him in overwatch while waiting behind the guard elevator's corner.

Oh, yes, I also hacked cameras around, this grants me their vision, and of course doesn't make them alarm guards.

Inc1-18.png

Found the fabricator, but first I need to loot some more cash to make best use of it.

Inc1-19.png

Inc1-20.png

Deckard takes over pinning duty from Internationale. Internationale finds corporate safes, loots precious jewgold.

Inc1-21.png

Ugh, that guard may walk into Deckard pinning that other dude. Better send back Internationale for support.

Inc1-22.png

Luckily his field of view sucks and he decides to go to the fabricator. Deckard grabs the unconscious body behind cover.

Inc1-23.png

Inc1-24.png

Hacking the database reveals all terminals. This is what you get for embracing console decline, melonheads.

Inc1-25.png

Safe has some corporate intel, this will be sold after the mission is complete for cash and add to my agency's reputation.

Inc1-26.png

Another safe has this. The stim is good, although Internationale can't use it yet (Deckard can, he has Stealth at rank 2). First however I upgrade inventory so that I can grab it without ditching anything.

Inc1-27.png

Deckard preemptively dragged Guard 2 into the guard elevator. That other cunt is out for blood.

Inc1-28.png

Oh yeah, hit alarm level 3, this means the first extra guard spawns at the elevator. Level 1 activates all cameras (some or down at the start), Level 2 increases all firewalls by one level.

Inc1-29.png

Inc1-30.png

I spend cash to get an inventory upgrade and the shock trap. Now this gadget is great. There was also some other fun stuff in the shop, but too expensive, including a stun dart gun that works on armored foes, some nice implants and a good old handcannon.

Inc1-31.png

:rage:

This is bad, the guard caught sight of Deckard during the enemy turn. Here's how it works, you get one turn to react to this. If Deckard can't move 1 tile into cover, he gets shot. If he doesn't move at all, he gets shot. There is no RNG for shooting and no HP, one shot, he dies. Well, you can revive with medgel but you start with 0.

But all is not lost, if it was internationale in his place I wouldn't be able to do anything (apart from rewind). First I move the haxor into ambush position.

Inc1-32.png

Deckard starts with his very own espionage panic button he can use once every 8 turns.

Cloak engaged and he walks out of the guard's view. The guard will of course investigate, but death has been avoided for now.

Inc1-33.png

KO'd again, agents slip away...

Inc1-34.png

Inc1-35.png

Clean getaway.

Inc1-37.png

Deckard gets a rank in Anarchy to be able to plant that snazzy shock trap he picked up. No cash for anything else, need to loot more melonhead safes.

Inc1-38.png

6 hours and 24 minutes in, 7 hours to the next target, the clock is ticking.

Inc1-39.png

Good guys? Neanderthals?

Inc1-40.png

Laser fence, which I disabled before discovering in the previous job.

Inc1-41.png

There is either a guard or a camera around.

Inc1-42.png

It was a guard, Internationale ambushed him.

Inc1-43.png

Inc1-44.png

Found a map database. Doesn't show much, but at least I can avoid exploring dead ends. Also corporate safes for the taking.

Inc1-45.png

Inc1-46.png

Got the primary objective.

Inc1-47.png

Found more melonhead bling.

Inc1-48.png

Advanced gadgets use charge packs. Ain't got room for this one and I have nothing that uses them at the moment anyway.

Inc1-49.png

Bleh, this room couldn't be scouted otherwise, had to activate cloak and see if it was a guard or camera.

Meanwhile Internationale is dragging that guard around the whole time.

Inc1-50.png

Oh crap, two guards there. Better think how to deal with them.

a4043333-d688-49f5-89ce-062e32ca2ee2.png

Luckily they prefer guarding the exit elevator as is revealed by the hacked camera.

Inc1-52.png

Nice implant, but no cash at the moment. Also another riot dart I can't buy.

Inc1-53.png

Between rising alarm level and that first guard waking up I am kind of swarmed with guards right now. I was a bit too liberal with PWR usage and was not left with enough to hack the last camera by the elevator until this turn.

Inc1-54.png

Inc1-55.png

Just in time, I need to remember to conserve PWR next time.

Inc1-56.png

Inc1-57.png

FYI these are the implants Deckard and Internationale start with. They both have one free slot. Also further slots may be created using special surgery machines in implant lab missions. But that leaves agents KO'd for 2 or 3 turns while the operation happens.

Inc1-58.png

Internationale gets 1 rank in stealth to use that stim she looted way back.

Inc1-59.png

Inc1-60.png

10 hours, fuck, day one will be nearly over. Time for a melonhead prisonbreak.

Inc1-61.png

No drinking on the job bro.

Inc1-62.png

I spy two guards, a laser fence and a locked door. Also some safe I looted (it had cash).

Inc1-63.png

An armored guard. These guys are resistant to some weapons, but not the stunners I started with.

Inc1-64.png

Alarm increases and cameras start booting up, gotta hack this one before it spots me.

Inc1-65.png

I get greedy and Deckard gets spotted in the enemy turn while trying to get to the terminal for some PWR.

Luckily it the nearest hiding place is exactly four tiles away. Go go gadget cloak!

Inc1-66.png

Luring the prison guard away...

Inc1-67.png

...and two turns later both him and his buddy decide to walk into ambushes at the same time. There's still another one around.

Inc1-68.png

Dragged the guards away a bit and freed the prisoner. He becomes controllable but can't attack or even pin down guards, the useless bum.

Inc1-69.png

Well fuck, this is bad. Third guard walked into my trapped door, got KO'd for 3 turns, others woke up. And a new one spawned, and he's behind the laser fence to the south-east.

Inc1-70.png

I ambush him, somehow. Deckard plants a trap on the door as the armored melonhead puppet is lurking about.

Inc1-71.png

Four turns later I decide the coast is clear and try to make a run for the elevator. Only to remind myself I trapped the damn door and had to disarm it first!

Inc1-72.png

REWIND!

Inc1-73.png

I disarm the trap first this time and make a run for it to the elevator. Too many guards around to explore those 25%, I would also have to disable an extra camera and the laser fence was limiting my mobility. Bailing was the better choice, plenty of cash for corporate intel.

Inc1-74.png

Oh yeah, this guy sells crap between missions sometimes, he also stores your loot and lets you sell some of it.

Inc1-75.png

HUEHUE land has a security office I can loot for gadgets and weapons. Only downside is the security (duh) and travel time, but no better option is available. Another 10h down off the clock.

So far I got no extra agents. I know you can control up to 4.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Have they added anything cool lately? Last time I played this was 2 months ago. It's pretty gud already. The alarm timer forces you to cut corners, but cutting corners get you killed. It's a good balance.

The version I played did suffer from the same problem that FTL (and many procedurally-generated but time-limited games I guess) had. You can sometimes end up in a situation where the ramdom loot you got in your playthrough makes you too weak to handle the endgame. Even if you did everything "right" up until that point.

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Looks like a cool game i wish was on gog :rage:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Have they added anything cool lately? Last time I played this was 2 months ago. It's pretty gud already. The alarm timer forces you to cut corners, but cutting corners get you killed. It's a good balance.

The version I played did suffer from the same problem that FTL (and many procedurally-generated but time-limited games I guess) had. You can sometimes end up in a situation where the ramdom loot you got in your playthrough makes you too weak to handle the endgame. Even if you did everything "right" up until that point.

Not sure what they added, I got this during the christmas sale when it lost the community choice vote.

I figure it has the same problem as FTL as the general concept is similar, use random shit to prepare for the final mission.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Run I: Part 2
Daemon tools.

Inc2-01.png

For some reason loading when I saved in the mission select screen made me end up in a mission. A detention mission. Again in Madagascar. So no huehue land looting raid.

Inc2-02.png

Inc2-03.png

Got a terminal map from a hacked database.

Inc2-04.png

And a passcard from the guard which I now give to Deckard.

Inc2-05.png

This guy walks in, gets KO'd.

Inc2-06.png

Looks like the cells are nearby, armoured guard shows up after I loot some safe.

Inc2-07.png

More fucking guards! Not shown: predicted path of the guy behind the armoured guard.

Inc2-08.png

He went back, I avoided the one I KO'd that woke up. Armoured guy is still around.

Inc2-09.png

He becomes the victim of assault and theft.

Inc2-10.png

One guy north is heard. Luckily he goes back to the holding cells.

Inc2-11.png

Leaving a room with a nano fab empty. I got a cooker, plasma pistol perfect for killing armoured foes. Only one shot before it needs to recharge though.

Inc2-12.png

Unfortunately I had not enough cash left to get TITANIUM BONES. That augment would add +1 to KO damage (so one more turn of KO).

Inc2-13.png

KO'd northern most guard.

Inc2-14.png

Got the prisoner out.

Inc2-15.png

I'm being too slow!

Inc2-16.png

Lots of guards between here and the elevator.

Inc2-17.png

Too many!

Inc2-18.png

Trying out the cooker.

Inc2-19.png

Alarm level instantly raised to 6. Two elite guards spawn.

Inc2-20.png

This did not work. No way I can get out safely.

REWIND!

Inc2-22.png

I decide to wait it out, KO'd guard from the cell block comes out. With 1 turn before level 6 left, might as well go lethal.

Inc2-23.png

Inc2-24.png

With only one (trapped) entrance though, they can't do much. Units can't move through other non-KO'd units.

Prisoner is hidden safely behind the terminal, for now.

Inc2-25.png

Not for long. But I got two guards...

Inc2-26.png

At least the prisoner distracted the other guards.

Inc2-27.png

Too fucking close.

Inc2-28.png

Oh great, wyrmlord land.

Inc2-30.png

This better grant me an additional agent!

Inc2-32.png

Shit is getting harder. Soundbugs and daemons.

Inc2-33.png

Sets me back by 3 turns. Other daemons do different shit. But basic idea is simple, you hack it, it activates the daemon which will make shit harder. So you need to judge the risk.

Inc2-34.png

Got layout from database.

Inc2-35.png

Guard spotted.

Inc2-36.png

Walking through the edge of his vision only makes him suspicious. Too late, he's about to get KO'd.

Inc2-37.png

:rage: this one will hurt, a lot.

Inc2-38.png

As could be expected in the land of wyrmlord, there are loads of bots around. They're KO immune, but I can hack them (1 turn of control plus 1 turn after that they are KO'd).

Inc2-39.png

More damn daemons!

Inc2-40.png

Inc2-41.png

I steal from a guard and hack the drone. Which wasn't really smart in hindsight.

Inc2-42.png

Deckard is spotted, luckily there's cover one tile away.

Inc2-43.png

I need to get those lasers down. I also hacked the Akuma drone and used it to shoot the small camera drone snooping around. Killing guards raises the alarm, but shooting drones does not.

Inc2-44.png

Deja vu, disabling soundbugs.

Inc2-45.png

Stole a card.

Inc2-46.png

Bloody hell!

Inc2-47.png

Interntionale is spotted and killed by this robotic asshole. Note to self, drone do spot you if you are on a tile adjacent to them.

Inc2-48.png

Deckard tries to evacuate, but he has no card IIRC. Cloak time.

Inc2-49.png

Yeah, kind of outnumbered.

Inc2-50.png

Bloody hell indeed central, bloody hell indeed. My best run so far though. Never got beyond 2 missions before :M

Got fucked by that +1 firewalls daemon. I really needed to hack shit with so many drones, but it took to long. Also too many fucking laser fences, only found a generator for one.

Inc2-52.png

Gaining exp...

Inc2-54.png

Enough to unlock last two starting agents, some other stuff but a few thousand short of an alternative Internationale starting build (It think that is it).

Inc2-55.png

Inc2-56.png

Nika an Dr. Xu. Xu starts with shock traps.

Inc2-57.png

Also have these two. Shalem has his own gun, an armor piercing augment and a shitty long cooldown stunner. Banks starts with a stim and a parylyzer that can add +3 turns of KO duration to pinned guards. Also she's into thievan.

Well, see you probably when I do Run II. I think not getting another agent really screwed me over. You get those randomly after prisoner rescue missions I think.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Getting an extra agent was a mixed blessing last I played. Additional agents subtracted from the money you gained from missions. Going 4 agents early on meant you'd bankrupt yourself and never get to upgrade any of them.

I bought this when it showed up in early access and haven't really touched it. Thanks for reminding me this exist I guess. Pretty good game, I finished story mode like yesterday after first try. I got into serious trouble few times, mostly because I keep forgetting turn rewind feature exists. :lol:

Getting an extra agent was a mixed blessing last I played. Additional agents subtracted from the money you gained from missions. Going 4 agents early on meant you'd bankrupt yourself and never get to upgrade any of them.
They do? I haven't really noticed.. In any case even naked agent with no gadgets is very useful to pin down guards and drag them around.

Oh yeah forget about shock trap on Xu, this guy got brilliant ability. Once a turn he can disable adjacent mainframe device for a turn, it also kills drones. Basically he can open safes for free circumventing any daemons that may be planted there. Pump up his anarchy and you'll be getting lots of money. Another thing switch lockpick to parasite. Much more power efficient. One annoying downside is it can't hack in an instant so if cameras start to boot up you better stay out of their fov. I like fusion more than power drip too. You just need to remember to activate it when you start running low.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom