Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play: Horde! (Finished)

Luzur

Good Sir
next is the desert.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I think this LP will actualy make it to the end somehow.

abstract

Scholar
Darth Roxor said:
ghostdog said:
Wow, hammerfall is like the gayest and most banal epic-power-metal band.

No, that would be Dragonforce. I think the name alone points that out neatly.

hey, at least they can shred.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Welcome back! In the previous episode, as you all know, we became the Emancipator of the Fetid Swamp of Buuzal. Today, we shall be transfered to a new, unknown region which will be unveiled in the next few pictures of our majestic escapade.

First, the briefing:

UO1010.jpg

UO1011.jpg

The 'female' doll's parts are spoken in a ridiculous, fake falsetto.

UO1012.jpg

UO1013.jpg

UO1014.jpg

UO1015.jpg

UO1016.jpg

UO1017.jpg

UO1018.jpg

UO1019.jpg

this is also in falsetto.

UO1020.jpg

UO1021.jpg

UO1022.jpg

UO1023.jpg

UO1024.jpg

UO1025.jpg

UO1026.jpg

UO1027.jpg

UO1028.jpg

What do you mean YOUR hordlings?! :conspiracy:

UO1029.jpg

UO1030.jpg

UO1031.jpg

UO1032.jpg

UO1033.jpg

UO1047.jpg

UO1034.jpg

Here we are. A desert. How marvelous.

UO1035.jpg

And you know what I'm gonna do? Something I wanted to do from the start

UO1036.jpg

Surround the village with a wall of knights mwahahahaha o_@

UO1037.jpg

What do you mean 'at limit'? What is this nonsense?!

UO1038.jpg

well, fortunately, I have a remedy for that...

UO1039.jpg

... since I can also hire archers.

UO1040.jpg

Hurrhurrhurr

UO1041.jpg

UO1042.jpg

UO1043.jpg

UO1044.jpg

UO1045.jpg

UO1046.jpg

Next fees: -1440 (y)

Well, okay enough of these shenanigans, let's pretend this never happened *rewind*

UO1049.jpg

Here we are. A desert. How marvelous.

UO1050.jpg

First thing I did, was dig around to do some waterways so we can get more grass. Desert is even worse than the swamp, since not only you can't build on it, but cows also can't forage on it, and extending grass is a bitch, since before we just needed a few trees - here, we need to dig around to drive the water near.

UO1052.jpg

So here's the final result for now. Let's hope the village is small enough that I'll be able to aid all the cows in time at least in spring.

UO1053.jpg

UO1054.jpg

Of course. Incoming from the north, when the knights are in the south. How jolly.

UO1055.jpg

UO1056.jpg

UO1057.jpg

UO1058.jpg

Well, since all the invaders were regular hordlings, I managed to not lose any cows. Great.

UO1059.jpg

what?

UO1060.jpg

Right, let's hire more knights, and extend the waterways

UO1061.jpg

Incoming cannon fodder.

UO1062.jpg

UO1063.jpg

UO1064.jpg

UO1065.jpg

MEH, lost a villager. Not good, we can't afford to lose too many of them at such an early stage.

UO1066.jpg

Yup. Desert doesn't like being pushed out by grass, so it can retaliate. Already happened after the first season, I think - I had to move the cows from the eastern regions, because they woke up with sand instead of grass beneath their hooves.

UO1067.jpg

Here's the current situation.

UO1068.jpg

UO1069.jpg

UO1070.jpg

New type of hordlings dead ahead (REVENGE OF THE UNICORNS, YES, I'M LOOKING AT YOU GHOSTDOG), let's call it the Burrower. It's the 'burrowing sand hordling' the chancellor threatened us with. They are more intelligent than regular hordlings, hit harder, are tougher (3 hits), and have this pesky ability to... well, burrow through sand, which makes them invulnerable and faster. Fucking great, just another reason for us to get more grass around.

UO1071.jpg

UO1072.jpg

Dammit

UO1073.jpg

You can see the burrowed hordling under the ruined house, in a sand mound.

UO1074.jpg

Casualties aren't that high, though.

UO1075.jpg

These tips sure are random this time around.

UO1077.jpg

Right, I did a risky manuever. Bought more cows and placed them in the south, but didn't leave knights around. I'm just out of fucking space to plant the cows out there - at least in the swamp I could get the knights + cows on the borders of the village and spam the town itself with cows, but here I just don't have the grass. I also wanted to build some walls on the desert, but hohoho, CAN'T BUILD ON THE GODDAMN DESERT. meh.

Also, since land is so scarce, the cows need to be spread out from day 1 to avoid getting patches of rocks to further reduce the amount of grass.

UO1078.jpg

UO1079.jpg

UO1080.jpg

Right, let's assume the lone hordling coming from the west will rush the cows by the knight and go to the north east.

UO1081.jpg

I've been hit. Minus fucking 40 hp. I don't remember now if I was hit once or twice by the burrowers, but it makes them formidable adversaries in both cases.

UO1082.jpg

FUCK. Well, the knight should pull this off on his own, let's go south.

UO1083.jpg

Two hordlings running around munching on our cows. I think we've lost quite a few of them already, dammit.

UO1084.jpg

Shaman... because that's the one thing we needed right now, right? :x

UO1085.jpg

He beamed out next to the tank... well, that's not good.

UO1086.jpg

Ohohoho, notice how the amount of hordlings alive rose from 3 to 5?

Yup, that's the shaman's very neat ability! They can RESURRECT FALLEN HORDLINGS, ARGH.

UO1087.jpg

Finally got the fucktard. And one burrower, too.

UO1088.jpg

UO1089.jpg

Argh, because of all this chaos I forgot to turn on the flamer.

UO1090.jpg

One down, two to go.

UO1091.jpg

Taking hits.

UO1092.jpg

Another fine feature of the shamans that just became apparent - they can turncoat hirelings. Just got bashed by my own knight for -10 hp. Fortunately, a single swing of the sword brings them back their sanity.

UO1093.jpg

Hit again... and got knocked back just a step from a turncoat knight (you can see that by the bubbles flying over their heads). One more hit and I'm fucked.

UO1094.jpg

DIE DIE DIE!! AHAHA! Now for the last one

UO1095.jpg

Uh... what a great sign of things to come, isn't it?

UO1096.jpg

and to cheer us up at the end of the year, comes the Chancellor with his jewish taxes...

UO1097.jpg

:evil:
Also, notice that we started with almost 12k gold. Now we have 2k less. We aren't even getting a steady income, we're getting a steady, errr, outcome?

UO1098.jpg

And here's the only new thing in the shoppe. I never bought it previously, so I have no idea what it does, but apparently it gives IDDQD + helluva damage. Should I buy it? Good question.

This concludes the first year. The next ones will probably be even more... splendid...

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I don't see why not, the mace is pretty much a 'panic button' the encounters can only get worse with the sand horde charge attacks hitting you hard.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why don't you dig more irrigation?

Also, it may be prudent to diversify your hirelings, as the knights apparently underperform. Get two or three archers. That should help, especially against shamans.

It'd be better to spend money now and earn it back rather than saving alot.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Archers are actually more annoying with shamans. Being pelted by 2-3 archers + a shaman makes it very hard to move. You'll still probably want some on this area though, because of my next bit of advice:

BUILD A MOAT.

The burrowers can't cross water. Surround your town with water, and they can't harm a fucking thing. Well, except you if you go out to fight them. The only problem is they can be total dicks and run away from you for a long time before finally getting pegged if you don't leave any entrance at all. The boots should help with that though. And surrounding the village with archers.

Also, absolutely spam that water early on. Grass grows within 2 tiles of it, so put it as far to every edge of your grass as possible, and leave pools behind to keep the grass from vanishing in the middle. You get a lot of fucking years here to make your money back, invest in the irrigation ASAP.

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
"DID YOU SEE ANYTHING!?!?!"
"No sir! I didn't see you playing with your dolls again!"
"GOOD!!!"

Also, that teleport ring is looking useful now, if you haven't gotten it yet.

fractal

Novice
The mace is great, especially against the snow hordlings in the next area and tank squads (anything it hits is insta-killed). It has a 100GP activation cost though and the duration is about 10 seconds, after which you're left with the dizzy animation.

With the amount of money you have, place a knight near each house, with a cow at the opposite side. That should stop your population from getting decimated.

Don't buy the mace yet, spend all your money on irrigation for now. I just tested DamnedRegistrations tip and it does wonders. I made a triple moat with holes in the outer perimeter and placed a couple of cows+knights in the middle as lure to bait the burrowers. It's a beautiful sight watching the burrowers follow that one-tile pathway to certain death. I placed archers by the inner moat to tackle the tanks crowding the knight+cow traps. The regulars either drown or get peppered with arrows. The only thing I have to worry about now is the shamans. :cool:

If you have enough money you should be able to get this design working by the end of year two.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
New type of hordlings dead ahead (REVENGE OF THE UNICORNS, YES, I'M LOOKING AT YOU GHOSTDOG)
These are not the cute and playful unicorns Hammerfall was talking about! These are moar like the result of hordlings performing the frenzied cavorting of schmoo on unicorns... Hmm, we should make an epic song of it !

You know that you must learn the way of the Fremen to survive the desert planet. I guess the way of the Fremen is the way of the moat...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
[greeting + retrospection]

Didn't buy the mace yet, as the moat will probably require helluva cash. Gonna buy it the next year.

UO1100.jpg

Right, let's start working on these waterways.

UO1101.jpg

All I could do before the time ran out. Dammit, I have a knight in the middle of nowhere and three cows. I'll need to watch the timer more closely next time.

UO1102.jpg

UO1103.jpg

UO1104.jpg

UO1105.jpg

As always in spring, we get only regular hordlings.

UO1106.jpg

UO1107.jpg

UO1108.jpg

UO1109.jpg

Cake.

UO1110.jpg

Here's how thing's look after another season of digging.

UO1111.jpg

UO1112.jpg

UO1113.jpg

The knight to the east should hang on, let's go west.

UO1114.jpg

Lost a cow. Fuck.

UO1115.jpg

UO1116.jpg

COME BACK HERE FAGGOTS. They run as fast as Chauncey, and I'm too lazy to use the boots.

UO1117.jpg

UO1118.jpg

Eat lead, shithead.

UO1119.jpg

UO1120.jpg

UO1121.jpg

Okay, one of them got bashed by the knight.

UO1122.jpg

Right, they do 30 damage.

UO1123.jpg

SLASH!

UO1124.jpg

meh

UO1125.jpg

Uh... WHAT?

UO1126.jpg

UO1127.jpg

UO1128.jpg

UO1129.jpg

UO1130.jpg

UO1131.jpg

UO1132.jpg

UO1133.jpg

UO1134.jpg

UO1135.jpg

UO1136.jpg

UO1137.jpg

UO1138.jpg

UO1139.jpg

UO1140.jpg

UO1141.jpg

UO1142.jpg

Rrrrrrrright. That was random.

UO1143.jpg

Anyway, back to digging.

UO1144.jpg

UO1145.jpg

Well, I think that should be enough living space. I'll do some more digging later in order to connect the southern and northern moats to do an ubermoat.

UO1147.jpg

Cleverly planted a knight at the choke point. But in retrospect, I should have planted him a tile lower to protect the house, though. And ran out of time again, dammit.

UO1148.jpg

10 hordlings incoming iirc.

UO1149.jpg

Let's go to the exposed part in the west.

UO1150.jpg

UO1151.jpg

Attacking these horned shits is even more bothersome than the crocs, since not only they are small and hard to hit, but they also have hit 'n' run tactics.

UO1152.jpg

UO1153.jpg

uuuuh, crap. Let's try not to die, shall we?

UO1154.jpg

UO1155.jpg

Take us down Herman.

Jawohl, herr Oberleutnant.

UO1156.jpg

*sonar sounds*

UO1157.jpg

FUCK

UO1158.jpg

well... I guess I underestimated our opponents... -_-

They won't be so lucky next time :x

Last edited:
UO1158.jpg

No, no, no. That was Sir CARTER, the guy who always dies y'know. Carry on as nothing happened, my liege.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom