Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play: Heroes of Jin Yong! (Update VI: 5/12)

MisterStone

Arcane
Cool, OK. I recently got the quest by Hong Qigong to make his favority roast meant dish, so I am assuming he will teach me the "Descending Dragon 18 Palms" or whatever that is if I can get it all to him. I recently came across Old Little Boy, but he's too powerful to grind with, and I am not sure how to get him to teach me something. I guess I have to help him out with his bees?

Anyway, I don't want to look at the strategy guide much more- I'd rather just bumble around and make use of what falls into my lap for now. Even if it does make me suck. :)

MisterStone

Arcane
Hmm, yes, I now have 3 of the 14 novels needed to win the game; I know where another one is, and I have some good kungfu going. Tons of screenies to show, but it could be a mess when I edit it into LP form. This is a hard game to play in an orderly fashion...

So Hu Fei trained Lightning Sabre up to L10 and he nukes half the screen. I need to get the other characters to catch up, so I am grinding them. Unfortunately Tian Boguang can't learn lightning sabre because (I think) he doesn't have enough IQ. Is there anyway to make him smarter?

Also I realized finally that studying a manual gives you the stat gains (or at least bonus to skills) every time you level up that style of kung fu. Can't believe I didn't figure that out sooner. Once I figured this out, I ground Whitey's boxing up so he can now learn Descending Dragon Eighteen Palms style. :twisted:

I have the crocodile+scissors guy Yue Sanlao, but it seems he isn't actually good for anything. His only good weapon skill is "miscellaneous weapons", so I don't know if he can even learn even the suckier styles and get his stats high enough to learn something more useful.

Anyway more LP soon, if anyone is still paying attention at this point.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Hey, we definitely want to see Descending Dragon Eighteen Palms style in action.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ghostdog said:
Hey, we definitely want to see Descending Dragon Eighteen Palms style in action.
It's Subduing Dragon Eighteen Palms btw.
Eighteen Dragon-Subduing Palms (降龍十八掌)
The Proud Dragon Repents (亢龍有悔)
The Soaring Dragon in the Sky (飛龍在天)
The Fighting Dragon in the Wilderness (龍戰於野)
Use Not the Submerged Dragon (潛龍勿用)
Crossing Great Rivers (利涉大川)
The Bird Descends Gracefully (鴻漸於陸)
A Sudden Advent (突如其來)
Tremors which Shook the Land (震驚百里)
Diving into the Abyss (或躍在淵)
The Divine Dragon Swishes its Tail (神龍擺尾)
The Dragon is Seen in the Fields (見龍在田)
The Twin Dragons Fetch Water (雙龍取水)
The Fish Frolics in the Depths (魚躍於淵)
Riding the Six Dragons Timely (時乘六龍)
Dark Clouds but No Rain (密雲不雨)
With a Loss comes Confidence (損則有孚)
Treading on Ice (履霜冰至)
The Ram Charges into the Fence (羝羊觸藩)

MisterStone

Arcane
I'll be back soon, I promise. I had to travel one week, and when I got back... Dwarf Fortress.

I'll try to get something up tonight and this weekend. The LP will go on!

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Tarn should give dorfs the ability to learn kungfu, with RNGs creating different styles that affect stats in random different ways, then we can have clans of martial artists under mountains instead of on top of it.

MisterStone

Arcane
OK, forgive me for taking so long to bring you an update... but better late than never AMIRITE?

Anyway, here we go...

LET'S PLAY HEROES OF JIN YONG

V: WHITEY TELLS HMONGS "LET ME OFF YOUR LAWN!"

z572.png

[YANJIPIC] Yan Ji: Well, it looks like you got to try out the poison I made to deal with Feng the Hmong!

Fucker poisoned me! Time for a beatdown! One on one!

(5 seconds later)

z573.png

YOU ARE VICTORIOUS
Yep, he’s a big puss. Put up practically no fight.

z574.png

Yan Ji is surprised his sucky poison doesn’t take me out again. He let’s me ransack his house (in this game, kicking someone’s ass is like an alpha dog mounting a weaker dog; they basically just roll over for you and let you take anything you want once they lose, or join your party.) He also tries to talk me into hanging around and having dinner with him… uh, no thanks.

z575.png
[/img]

Oh my, what’s this? Two pages from a sabre manual! I bet Hu Fei is going to be interested in seeing this.

Anyway, with that little episode over, we head off to the north, figuring we will eventually make our way back to the tundra and Hu Fei. Before long we find yet ANOTHER cluster of mountains surrounding a little walled compound. Well, who lives here?

z592.png

THE SCHOOL OF THE FIVE POISONS

Hey! The five poisons? Don’t I have a book about the five poisons…?

z593.png

In the courtyard I find a handful of funny-looking dudes with whips lounging around.

jy00.jpg
Whitey: Judging by the way you guys are dressed, I’m guessing you aren’t Han Chinese?

[DAMMIT WHITEY SHUT UP… geezus man, what is your problem? Looks like Whitey needs to equip the “Rainbow Colored Multi-Cultural Manual” and spend some points on leveling it up.]

Hmong dude: So what if we’re not Han? Us Hmongs aren’t wicked like you Han are.

[Right! Another ethnicity added to the mix now. So far (for those keeping track at home) we’ve seen Chinese, Tibetans, Opera Clowns, Hui Muslims, Poisonous Spiders, and now Hmong. Er, did I forget anyone? Please don’t be upset if I left your people out.]

jy00.jpg
Whitey: Wicked?

Hmong Dude: You Han Chinese are experts at taking advantage of people’s good graces, then running away.

jy00.jpg
Whitey: Says who? Listen bro, I’m the most obsessively kind guy on the planet!

Hmong Dude: Is that right? Well, you seem alright I guess, you look pretty honest… Alright brothers, let’s grab this little fellow and present him to our master! After that Wei guy
[
jy61.jpg
] ran away, our master’s feelings were hurt for quite some time. Let’s let this little guy keep the master happy for a while.

[Oh snap, so this is where Wei Xiaobao got that “Five Poisons” book he sold me. Well, they don’t need to know I’ve got it in my pocket.]

jy00.jpg
Whitey: Whoa, whoa, I have a lot of important things to attend to, I can’t hang around here and keep your master company. And who knows what kinds of torments you might have in store for me!

Combat ensues!

z605.png

z606.png

z607.png

Yeah, these guys don’t hold out very long against me and Tian Boguang. They do poison the holy hell out of us… with their whips? But Whitey’s got it covered with all the medicine he made from that book that Wei Xiaobao sold him, which of course was original stolen from these jackasses!]

z608.png

Hmong Dude: Silly little boy, don’t you want to stay here and enjoy the rich and luxuriant life?

jy00.jpg
Whitey: No way! As my teacher always said, “There’s a knife hovering over the head of the character for ‘lust’!”

[It’s not entirely obvious from the dialogue, but it seems their master is actually a slutty woman who likes to make guys like Whitey into her boy toy. Well, not gonna happen…]

z610.png

Whitey wastes no time looking for stuff to loot. Here are cages and urns full of live snakes! I don’t think he actually finds anything worth taking. 

Well, we make our way back to Hu Fei and show him the pages we found at Yan Ji’s house.

z619.png

Hu Fei: Eh? This… this is…
jy00.jpg
Whitey: I got these two pages of sabre technique from the jiang hu villain Yan Ji. Could it be that this is what you have lost?

Hu Fei: indeed, this is the comprehensive manual of Hu Family Sabre Technique handed down in my family. For many years I have been unable to find it; who knew that it is you who find it for me today. When I was little, I heard Fourth Uncle Ping tell me that the man who stole our sabre manual is one of the people I owe revenge for murdering my father. From today forth, I will assiduously study the Hu Family Sabre Technique, hunt down and serve vengeance to those villains Feng the Hmong and Yan Ji. Younger brother you… you are full of kindness, I don’t know how to thank you! If there is anything I can help you with, let me know!

Whitey asks Hu about the novel he’s supposed to have. Hu says he doesn’t know where it is, but he thinks it must have something to do with the story of his family.

Anyway, Hu joins the party. He looks like a big wus, but his “light body skill” and sabre skills are OK. He starts out knowing a couple levels of his family’s sabre technique. He only has 50 hitpoints, though, which means that if the wind blows too hard he’ll collapse like a piece of wet cardboard. He’s definitely not cool like Tian Boguang, but I figure I’m going to have to take him to Yan Ji to move this sluggish plot line along, so he’s coming with us! [sorry, looks like I didn’t get early screen shots of his sucky stats, but whatever]

z629.png

YOU GET THE HU FAMILY SABRE MANUAL
Sweet. Hu gets to equip this; I guess we’re going to have to help him learn how to kick ass.

z630.png

z631.png

A little while later I find myself at Northern Clown’s circus tent. Time to feed the clown!! I get the knowledge fruits out and…

jy74.jpg
Northern Clown: Let me tell you a few ways to open chests that won’t ruin your morality score: When there is no one on the map. When the owner is in your party. When its owner invites you to take things from it as you please.

Again! Have some more fruit, clown!

z633.png

jy74.jpg
Northern Clown: My neighbor little Hu needs a woman. If you find him a woman, he will be forever thankful to you.

Yeah, maybe, but he ought to be thankful to me already. Hu, you getting’ anxious over there?

More fruit! Eat, clown, eat!!

z634.png

jy74.jpg
Northern Clown: I know of a couple of places where you can practice up your kung fu. They’re both places where old people live. Early on, you can go to Spirit Snake Island [or “Potent Snake Island”? ] and fight with that old lady there. [Uh…] And later on you can go to Hundred Flowers Valley, look for Old Little Boy and learn from him.

I love this metagaming clown! Best character in an RPG evar!

The Clown also tells me about some treasure caches; the first one is hidden at an Inn! The other is the Chuang King’s treasure trove. IMPORTANT: I don’t have screenies of it, but when Hu Fei joined my party, an item called the Chuang King’s Dagger was added to the party inventory. I wonder if that has something to do with it? Dur…

Anyway, enough clowning around for now, soon it will be time to get revenge on that punk ass craven poisoning Yan Ji!

MisterStone

Arcane
treave said:
Tarn should give dorfs the ability to learn kungfu, with RNGs creating different styles that affect stats in random different ways, then we can have clans of martial artists under mountains instead of on top of it.

Well, what do you think a Grand Master Wrestler is? And now there's kicking, striking, dodging and biting as separate skills. :twisted:

MisterStone

Arcane
Uh, sequel? Is it any good, or is it :decline:?

And the most recent installment is an MMORPG, right? I can LP that too... :lol:

someone else

Arcane
Patron

someone else

Arcane
Patron
The mini-games and the slow combat are the major flaws. A few of the mini-games are fun, including "whack-a-mole" mining and "match the music". The fishing is frustrating, but the crowning turd in the water pipe has to be the poison training minigame where you click on blood vessels leading to the heart, trying to stop poison from reaching it.

PRC4Eva

Novice
That sequel is 武林群侠传。

You can try some of the mods. 苍龙逐日 and 金庸水浒传 are pretty good; the former has more stuff from Jin Yong's novels (it lets you play through events form every one, unlike here where the plot of some books are glanced over), the latter is less free-form and more scripted, but it's also a lot bigger and more extensive of a game.

BTW the guy's name is Miao Renfeng, not Feng the Hmong. "Miao" here is his surname. The people at the Five Venoms Clan, however, are Hmong.

It's great how this game, for its time, had no qualms about being open with sexual themes. Which was still pretty forbidden in mainstream chinese culture (china, taiwan, wherever else).

Also, Wu Ling Qun Xia Zhuan has a lot of different plotlines to explore, more than the original I might say. It's just that everything that happens is so hurried, and when you get to the open exploration part you will be pretty drained on trying to optimise your character. It is however worth a playthrough, just to experience the variety of choices.

Misterstone take your time! :D It gets tiring in the middle-end part but I assure you when you are finally tying up all the disparate storylines it will be worth it. Especially the final battle! :twisted:

MisterStone

Arcane
Thanks bro, I think I've gotten over the hump as far as grinding and character development goes, so eventually I should just be able to rove about and finish the quests up fairly easily.

It's an OK game overall; a bit quirky and unbalanced, but load 'o fun. I sorely regret the lack of dialogue trees though. :roll:

MisterStone

Arcane
PRC4Eva said:
BTW the guy's name is Miao Renfeng, not Feng the Hmong. "Miao" here is his surname. The people at the Five Venoms Clan, however, are Hmong.

D'OH. :facepalm:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
MisterStone said:
Thanks bro, I think I've gotten over the hump as far as grinding and character development goes, so eventually I should just be able to rove about and finish the quests up fairly easily.

It's an OK game overall; a bit quirky and unbalanced, but load 'o fun. I sorely regret the lack of dialogue trees though. :roll:

Well I haven't seen dialogue trees in most Asian-made RPGs except those from the guys that made Prince of Qin and Seal of Evil. Am sure some of the more prolific Chinese-RPG gamers around here may point out a couple of obscure gems for us?

Regretting not being able to pick the snarkiest lines for Whitey all the time? :lol:

MisterStone

Arcane
THe main problem is that there is an ethics system in place, but the only way to really be unethical is to recruit bad guys to your party (and it's not even honest who is bad, unless maybe poor shaving habits and an ugly avatar are the tip-off) and take things from chests. If I'm going to be evil, I want to have the freedom to talk and act like an asshole ala Fallout.

PRC4Eva

Novice
MisterStone said:
THe main problem is that there is an ethics system in place, but the only way to really be unethical is to recruit bad guys to your party (and it's not even honest who is bad, unless maybe poor shaving habits and an ugly avatar are the tip-off) and take things from chests. If I'm going to be evil, I want to have the freedom to talk and act like an asshole ala Fallout.
苍龙逐日has a much more developed dichotomy between the good and evil paths - it's one for each of the 14 books.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom