Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play Hard Nova.

Cool name

Arcane
@ lightbane:

nova.png
Do excuse my impertinence but I have to ask what do you mean when you do say I am not fair. I do believe you might need to have a profesional check on your eyesight, sir. Wait... Did my hair got into a mess? Did my make up run off? Lord in heav- I'll be back in a minute! *does run off to the toilet with her bag in hand*

@ Crooked Bee: The interface is indeed a nice little detail. It does have a touch of fridge brilliance as DSRE does heavily depend on robots for protection and menial work.

@ GarfunkeL: I am grateful for the welcome. Yet I did make some slight changes on the writing style. :( (add a few sobs here so that you feel very mean because you did not notice) On the other topic I am a LARPer at heart. :oops: I did not add that to my old persona as it is not well seen in this place but I guess I just can't help it when I do a let's play.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Well, yeah, the style is slightly different but you drop so many hints - whether intentionally or not - that it's pretty obvious it's you :P

And now I have to go and share my icecream with my housemate who is a close copy of you, I imagine. Though not nearly as pretty, I'm sure. See what horrible actions you drive me into with your sobs, witch?!

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
In the grimdark future, there are only degenerate facial features.

Nevertheless, tis' an effort worthy of a true brofist.:bro:

Cool name

Arcane
@ GarfunkeL: 'tis but the season to share icecream. I have done a good deed. :3

@ CappenVarra: I am but an innocent caught in the current. The situation whole did beg for it. :oops:

@ Cowboy Moment: The artist did indeed have a style most strange to draw faces in. And I do thank you for the appreciation.

V. General Rodgen.

To reach Ciberan we need to run through the Ariellian fleet's blockade. It is not hard if you do know what you are doing. The proper method is to align your ship with the planet and rush to it at maximum speed as you do tap the 'A' key. As soon as the ship does reach the planet it will enter the orbital interface. You will only get hit a few times. You will suffer no major damage.

AL%20000715.png

AL%20000716.png

AL%20000717.png

AL%20000718.png

AL%20000721.png

AL%20000723.png

nova.png
I do understand.

He nods and turns away.

Amusing it is that I did forget the card on the ship. We do return to it. We do leave orbit. We do enter the crew interface. We do pick the card. We do leave the crew interface. We do return to orbit. We do return to Sebastion's base. The Ariellian ships do manage to get a few shots on us as we do so.

AL%20000733.png

As soon as I do return to the planet I do notice I did forget to buy ammunition for Janai. We do return to the ship. We escape from Ciberan with the Ariellian fleet hot on our pretty behinds. We do return to Starkiller headquarters. We do buy ammunition for her. Then we do return to Ciberan and break through the blockade. Once back in Sebastion's base we do lower the forcefield by means of the keycard and proceed deeper into the base. We do meet with the petitioner.

AL%20000742.png

AL%20000743.png

nova.png
Please do forgive my tardiness. I did come as fast as I was able to do so.

max.png
Well, damnit, it wasn't fast enough. We're being overrun by Ariel fighters. In the time since I called Kendall, they invaded the primary research center.

nova.png
I am here but to serve your. Please do tell me what do you need me to do.

max.png
What do I need?! I need you to go out and stop those lunatics! We're just a business here, and they're mowing us down with blasters!

nova.png
I do understand the situation. Please do tell me what you do wish me to begin with.

max.png
How the hell would I know?! Start at the research center at coords (0610,0608)! Start anywhere! Just get out there and drive them off Ciberan or you won't get paid!

nova.png
I will do as you do desire. Yet is there more I should presently know?

max.png
Didn't Kendall tell you anything?! Get the Ariel fighters off Ciberan permanently. First you gotta repel the forces, then you gotta kill Damien Altron and his general, Camede Rodgen.

nova.png
Please do tell me if you do know of anything that could help us to locate them.

max.png
If I knew that, I'd go kill them myself!

amaro.png
I would pay to see that.

max.png
They're probably somewhere on Ciberan masterminding this attack.

janai.png
I do agree we should be able to find Camede Rodgen in Ciberan. Yet it is doubtful Damien Altron will be in the planet as well.

max.png
And if they're not, the planet Ariel would be a damn good guess!

nova.png
I do understand.

amaro.png
Is that all?

max.png
No, that's not all! Quit standing around here and get to work! If you don't succeed, you don't get paid!

nova.png
I would not expect any less. I will be in touch.

max.png
Don't call unless you succeed.

nova.png
I would not dare.

He turns and starts ignoring you.

The game does a good job when it does try to dry the well of my patience. The day will come in which I will write a space western videogame where everyone does have perfect manners. With fairies.

Most if not all the points of importance in Ciberan are beneath a vast shield. We do need to travel from outside the shield by means of our hovercraft. Near the locations Ariellian patrols can be found and fought. Yet I do prefer to evade them. As we do know the exact coordinates of the place we do try to reach as well as our own it is easy to align ourselves with the coordinates and run through the enemy forces.

AL%20000771.png

AL%20000773.png

AL%20000775.png

AL%20000776.png

AL%20000781.png

We do arrive at our destination to find soldiers from Ciberan and Ariel fighting for control of the installation. The first Ciberan soldier we do meet does give us all the information we do need to continue. I do still clear the installation of all hostiles for the prize in experience.

AL%20000784.png

nova.png
Do consider this facility lost if such is the case.

cib.png
You've got to stop this at the source. We haven't seen anyone but grunts here. You've got to stop Damien and his general. Maybe one of them is at one of the other bases.

nova.png
Do tell me more about these other bases.

cib.png
They are both under attack! Try the quality control base at coords (0912,0473). That's probably where they are. Get going! We can hang on here. Good luck.

nova.png
To you as well.

After we do eliminate the enemy forces currently in the base we do return to the orbit and pick a place to descend that will place us near the new set of coordinates.

AL%20000801.png

AL%20000803.png

AL%20000804.png

AL%20000805.png

Again we do find an ongoing battle. We do eliminate the Ariellian soldiers and talk to one of the Ciberan ones.

cib.png
Thanks for the help! You must have come from the research center. Have those Ariel bastards got there yet?

nova.png
They have.

cib.png
Damnit, we tried to hold them off, but there're just too damn many of them!

nova.png
Did you see the ones that do command this operation?

cib.png
It's a woman. We saw her only for a second. She took a pot shot down the hall and killed Gordon. Then she bugged out.

nova.png
Do you know where did she leave to?

cib.png
We don't know, but when the fighting started, I heard someone yell that they'd just come from the main processing station. It's at coordinates (0747,0348). Go get her, and shoot her once for Gordon!

I do leave the facility and repeat the process I did describe above. We do manage to reach the new set of coordinates in one piece.

AL%20000823.png

AL%20000824.png

AL%20000828.png

The base is fully under Ariellian control. We do remove all of the hostile soldiers. A single one does remain.

AL%20000849.png

AL%20000851.png

amaro.png
You do choose words to face this battle after all of your men did give their lives for you. I do not know what to call you but a coward.

ariel.png
It means I'm not just a grunt. I know how to talk.

nova.png
I cannot but hope you do also know about proper introductions.

ariel.png
I'm general Rodgen.

nova.png
But of course. Does your master plan involve to dress in the manner of a grunt and undergo sex reassignment surgery just to reveal your true identity the moment we do ask nicely or did I win you over with my charming personality and outstanding looks?

ariel.png
Believe what you want. My warning means just as much whether you believe me or not.

nova.png
What it is your desire to warn us about, O General?

ariel.png
About your chances. You've done pretty well so far, but the odds haven't been too bad. But we have more fighters pouring into our landing base every minute.

amaro.png
The Ariellian art of war did not leave a good impression on me up to this point.

nova.png
Please do tell us the location of this base so that we may disregard your warning.

ariel.png
You'll find the base at coords (0907,0650). That'll save us the trouble of sending our forces to kill you.

nova.png
I am in your debt. You have been most helpful.

rinterrupt.jpg

nova.png
Do understand the position I am in.

Nova does raise her gun.

He just stares at you, pressing his lips together.

janai.png
What are you doi-

And with a single detonation he is no more. Above his shoulders this is most literal.

janai.png
I do fail to see the point.

nova.png
The terms contractual are most clear in regards to General Rodgen.

janai.png
He was not General Rodgen.

nova.png
It is impossible for us to know for certain.

janai.png
We do know the general to be a woman!

nova.png
Do we? It could be the woman was but part of a plan to confuse and misguide the assasin potential. And what evidence have we the Ciberan soldier who did inform us of her was not a disinformation agent in their service?

janai.png
Yet this ruse was as transparent as a ruse can be!

nova.png
Which the possibility does open he was truly but an assasin who did masquerade as a grunt who did masquerade as the general in a manner so obviously phony we could not help but to notice the charade just to have him plunge in our backs the hidden knife the very instant the guard we did lower.

janai.png
Or maybe he was but a grunt doing what he did believe to be right.

nova.png
Yet was not then he but a coward who did betray his brothers-in-arms and did sell his commander to us in exchange for his life? What guarantee do we have he would silent about the plan ours remain? Easily could he tell the general to save himself. Should I offer the lives of my crew to an ambush so that an enemy may live?

amaro.png
Her words do make sense.

breman.png
*intercomm* I do have to confess I am but in awe.

nova.png
'tis reaction most common to my presence.

breman.png
*intercomm* Able is the lady to reason excuses many. Yet doubt I hold not she did kill him for but theatrics alone.

nova.png
Do I look Apollonian to you, Punch?

From the room we do recover two 174J magnetic cards. We do leave the facility and set a course for the Ariellian base.

AL%20000885.png

AL%20000886.png

This structure I do consider the only true 'dungeon' in the game. While it is not vast areas in isolation of each other do compose every floor of the base. To move between these we do have to use elevators in floors above or below it or use ventilation shafts. It is nothing exceptional but it is a nice little dungeon to clear. There are many Ariellian troops in the base.

Not far to the north of the entrance we do find the entrance to the ventilation shafts. Presently I do leave them be.

AL%20000890.png

I do instead move to the elevator that will take us to the observation deck. The away team does fight its way through it with ease. The enemy soldiers are no match for Nova. She does become more and more careless as the bodies do pile.

AL%20000893.png

AL%20000894.png

Nova does turn the soldier into unidentifiable bits most charred.

janai.png
*gurgle* *gasp*

amaro.png
There's is nothing we can do for her.

janai.png
*whimper*

nova.png
Let us move forward.

breman.png
*intercomm* Am I to believe you will truly let this chance to become ever more despicable go to waste?

nova.png
To search for something nasty to say would require for me to actually care about the sudden and tragic development we did just witness.

breman.png
*intercomm* That's more like it.

They do continue explore the fortress. Eventually they do reach a place in which a much more vast volume of soldiers is to be found.

AL%20000903.png

Nova did level several times while on Ciberan. She does no longer know what to do with her ability points. From now on she will pick something to raise at random every time the previous skill to raise at random does reach 20.

AL%20000907.png

AL%20000910.png

As they do continue forward they number of soldiers does continue to increase.

AL%20000913.png

AL%20000915.png

AL%20000933.png

By the time Nova does run out of ammunition only the general and a few soldiers breath still. The ventilation ducts do communicate one of the areas deeper in the fortress with the entrance. In this way she is free to return to her ship. In Starkiller headquarters she does acquire more ammunition. The seed of an idea does start to take form in her mind. In time this seed will give fruit. Yet for the time being she does return to finish the job at the fortress. The card Nova did obtain from the false general she has to use to access the last section.

She is very thorough. By the time she does deem proper to speak with Camede Rodgen there is no one alive in the fortress but the general, Amaro, and herself.

AL%20000974.png

AL%20000977.png

AL%20000982.png

AL%20000983.png

nova.png
General Rodgen, I presume?

amaro.png
You did always want to say that, did you not?

nova.png
:oops:

dsre.png
Of course. And who... Ah, you're the Starkiller merc my men have been telling me about.

nova.png
It does bring me joy to know my reputation does precede me. And I am affraid to say Sebastion does very much want the invasion over. You are no match for us and most of your men are dead. Do surrender and I may feel pity.

breman.png
*intercomm* Of course you may.

nova.png
Hush you.

dsre.png
Most of our men? Not even a fraction! Our forces have already recaptured everything but Meridian City.

amaro.png
Under your fearless direction, I presume.

She smiles.

dsre.png
And this is only the beginning. We already control transportation. And we're about to acquire the water and energy supply. The four systems is nearly ours.

nova.png
Do allow me to ask who else do you speak of.

dsre.png
Me and Damien Altron, of course. We will rule the four systems, and I will keep order. Together we will control the four systems.

nova.png
Do please forgive me but you do sound like one who does have a crush on him.

amaro.png
We do wish to have a word with Damien Altron if you do not mind. Where are we to find him?

dsre.png
He's on Ariel, obviously, but if you think you can find him, you're sadly mistaken. I'm the only one who ever sees him.

nova.png
Did he suffer of a terrible burn in his face and does now wander his secret base in black clothes that behind him do flow and with a mask that does hide the unfairly defaced beauty?

dsre.png
Your attempts to manipulate me are pitiful, Starkiller.

nova.png
I do beg your pardon?

breman.png
*intercomm* She did just give you too much credit.

nova.png
In any case I did have more than enough of this dialogue whatchamacallit. Do tell me where to find Damien and you will walk out of this place by your own means.

amaro.png
Scout's honor.

dsre.png
I say you can either walk out of here or get carried out. If you leave now, I won't send men after you. You can't hurt us.

nova.png
It is but my responsability to bust this baseless assumption of you.

Nova does raise her weapon.

dsre.png
Guards!

Our heroine does break into a giggle.

nova.png
I am affraid you will need a ouija board for that.

General Rodgen quickly draws her blaster.

AL%20001016.png

nova.png
I do hope this was an intentional deconstruction of the 'authority does equal asskicking' trope.

The item she did leave behind is a magnetic card with 942Z written on it. Nova does pick it up. The away team does then return to the ship. As we do run through the Ariellian blockade we do intercept a message that does not seem to originate in this system. More messages do follow it.

AL%20001029.png

AL%20001031.png

AL%20001034.png

AL%20001035.png

AL%20001038.png

I do return to Mastassini to refuel and repair the ship from the damage it did sustain as we did fly through the blockade. While it is easy to fly through the blockade and into the planet it is much harder to fly from the planet and out of the blockade as the ship does start immobile and with the engines turn off. Many lasers and missiles may strike you as you do gain speed. Even more may do so as you do escape from your pursuers.

Once the ship is as new I do fly to Starkiller headquarters to see Kendall.

kendall.png
I'm glad you're here. All hell's broken loose in the Rouyn system. I'm not sure what's going on, but the miners out there are screaming for mercs. I think they hired the Delta Coro and didn't get any results.

nova.png
Are they under attack by a force most mysterious and enigmatic?

kendall.png
It sounds like it. Or maybe it's sabotage. Either way the mining colony is suffering damage on a massive scale. I want you to go out there and see what's going on.

nova.png
Do explain to me what you do want me to do once there.

kendall.png
Go talk to the foreman on the Rouyn mining colony, coords (1524, 0608). Find out from him what's going on. Then try to stop it. Go back to your other missions later when you can.

nova.png
I do understand. I will do as you say.

kendall.png
Leod is taking his turn as shift commander in the next room. Take him with you if you think you could use him. I'll find someone to cover for him.

nova.png
I am grateful for the assistance you do give me. I will procure a nice leash and a food bowl with his name on it so that he can feel at home.

kendall.png
I'm sure He'll appreciate it. Now get moving.

I do move to the next room and speak with Leod.

darca.png
I've been telling Gerard for years that it was only a matter of time before we got invaded. I was right.

nova.png
Much excitement is there for me to find in your voice.

He makes an odd sound, like He's leaking air.

darca.png
Hardly. But if it turns out to be an invasion, Gerard owes me. We had a bet. That's why I'm going with you, to verify it's an invasion.

nova.png
It does not sound that far off when it does come from you.

darca.png
You can think what you want. Let's go, I'm ready.

nova.png
As you do desire. Please do walk this way.

darca.png
Very funny.

He floats up towards the ceiling and follows you.

I do check his equipment and character sheet before we do leave HQ.

AL%20001080.png

AL%20001082.png

His Aptitude is not bad. In time he will grow to be useful. His stealth is beyond what Nova will be ever able to get. I did never focus on the ability so I do not know what does it do. His is a nice gun with good damage and high rate of fire. His Firearms skill is low. Only one out of four shots do hit the enemy. His armor is better than Nova's. His health is low. He does have the potential to be a great character.

We do leave the planet. I do not desire to go to Rouyn yet. I do decide to complete the other two missions, the abduction of the Lanta cult leader and the assasination of Damien Altron, before I do proceed there.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Nova did level several times while on Ciberan. She does no longer know what to do with her ability points. From now on she will pick something to raise at random every time the previous skill to raise at random does reach 20.
A true RPG.

lightbane

Arcane
The game does a good job when it does try to dry the well of my patience. The day will come in which I will write a space western videogame where everyone does have perfect manners. With fairies.

You mean Changeling in Space? I think White Wolf did that already in one sorta silly Nwod supplement.

Which the possibility does open he was truly but an assasin who did masquerade as a grunt who did masquerade as the general in a manner so obviously phony we could not help but to notice the charade just to have him plunge in our backs the hidden knife the very instant the guard we did lower.

I think Nova may be slightly paranoid. Just saying...

Yet was not then he but a coward who did betray his brothers-in-arms and did sell his commander to us in exchange for his life? What guarantee do we have he would silent about the plan ours remain? Easily could he tell the general to save himself. Should I offer the lives of my crew to an ambush so that an enemy may live?

Black Cat Nova making sense? Truly the end of days are coming.

-*intercomm* Am I to believe you will truly let this chance to become ever more despicable go to waste?

+To search for something nasty to say would require for me to actually care about the sudden and tragic development we did just witness.

-*intercomm* That's more like it.

Nevermind :lol: Carry on Mercenary.

Cool name

Arcane
@ lightbane: Changeling is too sane for the kind of ideas I would put on a game. I would post my design documents for discussion but most people here would believe I do so to troll them when they do see them. On the other topic... Do I look Apollonian to you, Inquisitor Lightbane? :P

@ Kz3r0: It is usually a bit more role-playing-game-like but I did break the game badly. :oops: In the next update Nova's OP-ness will become apparent when she does take on an army of Ariellian soldiers unprepared and with nothing but Amaro's wimpy gun to defend herself and does carve a bloody path through them.

@ Crooked Bee: Please do not hold your breath. My project will go nowhere beyond the design phase until I do manage to create a spell that does summon a small horde of coding goblins. :oops:

VI. Philosoraptor raids again.

Nova and her gang of merry men, rayfish, and robots do arrive at Varan. The away team does descend on the coordinates Kendall did give her. In the area there is nothing but a ship that did crash a long time. The Lanta dispossessionalist faction did turn it into some kind of temple. There are only four Lanta in the 'temple.' None of them is sane.

AL%20001093.png

AL%20001095.png

AL%20001096.png

AL%20001098.png

AL%20001100.png

nova.png
I am in need of guidance.

lanta.png
Prepare eternally. To do, remain and move not or speak it.

amaro.png
Do try again. This time in english.

nova.png
Do not be mean with the green immanentizer of eschatons.

The Lanta looks distressed, and then he glances right and let. Then he says in a low voice,

lanta.png
Stay here in the temple and be quiet. Disorder will soon follow.

nova.png
By which name am I to refer to the one you do follow?

lanta.png
Most random dispossessionalist.

nova.png
A true chaote. Do you know where I will be able to find him?

lanta.png
No knows where most high remains visible. Predictability not random implication disorder. Now meditate must before eternity.

That did not take us anywhere. I do decide to look around for clues. In the broken console north of the engine room someone did scratch a message on an access cover. It does read 'Ulgurch 1726,0634'.

This is the only lead we do have to follow. We do so.

AL%20001115.png

AL%20001116.png

AL%20001119.png

By 'the din of the great debates' they do mean we do hear a cacophony of gunshots, screams, and battlecries. The Disps do fire against the Frags. The Frags do fire against the Disps. Both do fire against the Zero-L. The Zero-L do fire against both the Disps and the Frags. All three of them do fire against us. We do fire against everyone that does get in the way.

nova.png
'tis just like Debate Club back in highschool.

Our heroine does tackle the opposition's points one at a time. The Argumentum Ad Thermocaster does prove most effective.

AL%20001123.png

AL%20001124.png

AL%20001126.png

AL%20001132.png

AL%20001133.png

She does return to the hovercraft and does set a course for the stronghold whose coordinates she did come across in Ulgurch City's Frag camp. The guards do stumble in their search for valid counter-arguments. Before long she does find herself in the presence of both the leader of the Frags and the leader of the Disps.

AL%20001145.png

AL%20001146.png

AL%20001149.png

AL%20001155.png

AL%20001156.png

nova.png
How very perceptive of you. Am I to assume you are the leader of the Frag faction?

He glances toward the room exits.

lanta.png
Yes, I am.

nova.png
Am I to also assume your friend here is the leader of the Disp faction you did hire me to abduct?

amaro.png
It does seem he did try to make fools of us.

lanta.png
Ridiculous. I simply convinced him to come myself. You are no longer needed, so please excuse us.

nova.png
With the credits I am going to spend to replace all the ammunition I did waste to come here I could have bought a cute and very short knit one-piece dress with hat, hand warmers, and leg warmers to match. The least I do expect is an explanation.

lanta.png
I managed to complete your task myself before you arrived. Now please leave before I call the guards.

rinterrupt.jpg

nova.png
Do you plan to hold a seanse?

She does aim her thermocaster to the Lanta's face.

nova.png
Or do you prefer to talk to them in person?

lanta.png
All right - Don't shoot! We are working together, the high disposessionalist and myself.

nova.png
Do explain what am I doing here then.

lanta.png
The battles were weakening, the devout were losing their urge to fight. I needed a catalyst to stoke the shrinking flames. I just... I just never expected you to get this far.

nova.png
Why do you not let the war stop by its own accord?

lanta.png
No. Without conflict, our people lose conviction. If they do not fight for their beliefs, they slowly forget. If they forget their faith, then...

nova.png
The Lanta in Glumpton did seem to keep their faith without the need to shoot one another.

lanta.png
It will not last. They will lose faith. We will all fail in the sight of nature. We are abomination. Now leave me in peace.

nova.png
If this is your wish I will abide by the first directive.

lanta.png
It is our wish. Goodbye, Starkiller.

Nova does raise an eyebrow.

nova.png
You do still owe me a very short and cute knit one-piece dress with hat, hand warmers, and leg warmers to match.

lanta.png
The arrangement was that I was to pay Kendall. I already have done so. Perhaps he is holding out on you.

nova.png
You do jest.

lanta.png
No, Starkiller.

nova.png
Should I trust the man who did replace my starship with no strings attached or the machiavellian xeno who did use me so that his people will not find peace? Do please allow me to ask for your advice on this situation, O Noblim.

lanta.png
I paid Kendall. He's just holding out on you. Kill him if you want to draw blood over this.

Nova does turn her eyes...

nova.png
My extremely pretty eyes you do mean.

...her extremely pretty eyes to the other Lanta.

lanta.png
Greet in absence of thought and breath cohesion abominable violation. Structure yourself before not with intent forgotten where nature lies oblivious for temporarily only.

nova.png
It does bring me honor to finally meet the most random dispossessionalist.

lanta.png
With no division seeks nature confirmation explain entroy violations. You example for revealing chaos renagade. Conversation erodes freedom - Pattern imposition effects pain.

nova.png
Does it say something unkind about my sanity that I do believe him to be right on that?

breman.png
*intercomm* What do you think?

Nova does try to talk with the Frag Noblim again but he does not budge.

rinterrupt.jpg

Nova does kill him. The Disp Noblim does attack her as a result. She does also kill him. Among the Frag Noblim remains she does find a bag of rare gems. With this her mission in Varon is complete.

Nova did level up twice while in the planet.

AL%20001208.png

She does return to her ship and does set a course for Ariel. With this the thrilling tale of sociopathic space adventure does near completion. Only two or three episodes do remain before the end.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
The Lanta dialogue is pretty goddamned hilarious, and reminds me of the Pagan dialect in Thief for some reason. Meanwhile, the best Bioware can achieve with their 10+ million dollar budget is aliens talking in third person...

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I think it's pretty premature to declare this LP abandoned. It's this curious time of the year which faciliates contemplation coupled with plethora of mood swings and general recuperative laziness. I think we can hope for this LP to get reactivated, once it catches our noble hostess's fancy one more time.

Now that Reunion LP is in far worse trouble.

Cool name

Arcane

VII. The obligatory evil AI episode.

On the way to Ariel Nova and her crew do come across a thing most strange.

AL%20001218.png

An unindentified probe unlike any ship we did encounter so far. It is not hostile. After she does fly by a few times Nova does return to the matter at hand. She will have to evade the Ariellian fleet as she does not intend to pay the toll. With the Ariellian fleet hot on her heels it is actually easier to do so than it was on Ciberan. She does lead them in a merry chase and then does land in the planet they did leave undefended.

Once in the floating city she does proceed straight to the secure elevator she did previously discover. Presently she does have the magnetic card to unlock it.

AL%20001258.png

AL%20001262.png

Beyond does lie the city's command center. Yet only a few soldiers are there, and they are little obstacle for Nova. The party does explore without impediment, and as they do so Amaro does raise in level. His Aptitude we do raise to 20 and his Firearms to 10.

Eventually Nova does find a friendly face among the dead soldiers and the surveyance equipment.

AL%20001271.png

AL%20001272.png

nova.png
Do please explain why do you feel the need to reveal this to me.

ariel.png
Because you were about to fry my ass, that's why!

nova.png
I do need a new manager.

ariel.png
Besides, this is the first time anyone's come in here firing blasters. You're just the thing we need to bring down Damien Altron.

amaro.png
How many of you rebels are there?

ariel.png
Only a handful. But we've been fighting for a long time. We have spies in a number of places. We have information that can help you. And that will help us.

nova.png
Do share.

ariel.png
I can't help you. I'm only one small part of the rebel forces. Go to our base and they can help you. It's at coords (1571,0546). Talk to Jared. Good luck.

nova.png
If what you do say is true you should accompany us.

She does gesture towards the fallen Ariellian soldiers.

ariel.png
No, I have to stay here.

He grins.

ariel.png
I'll just say you killed him. Good luck.

nova.png
As you do wish. Yet do keep in mind we will find you if you did lie to us.

The doubts of our heroine do prove to be without foundation. At the coordinates the spy did provide we do come across an old weather station the rebels do use as their base. Yet they do not seem to be very good at this. There are only a few guards and barely any defenses. If we did want to do so we could end this rebel movement without too much trouble.

AL%20001306.png

AL%20001307.png

AL%20001309.png

AL%20001314.png

nova.png
May I ask how long have you fought against Damien Altron's rule?

rebel.png
Me, personally? About three weeks.

nova.png
Do allow me to say this does not reinforce my faith in your little rebellion.

rebel.png
But the movement has been fighting Damien for years. Now hurry up. Jared's waiting.

We do wander the rebel base until we do come across their leader. It is not easy as he did not even receive his own portrait.

AL%20001320.png

nova.png
I do what I am paid to do. When I do feel gracious I may even throw in a little extra.

rebel.png
And I'm sure Sebastian is paying you well. But I hope you are here fighting Damien for more than just money.

nova.png
That does depend on whether or not you do hide a few designer bags in this place. And who is this Sebastian you do speak of?

rebel.png
I admire your discretion, if not your motivation. I suppose it doesn't matter as long as the job gets done.

amaro.png
Your not very brave spy did indicate you would be able to share with us information that would be of some use on our quest.

rebel.png
Indeed we do. You'll find the coords (1411,0426) extremely helpful. Go to those coords and you'll find Damien Altron.

nova.png
I do assume next you will tell me there is no huge rebel army to accompany us.

rebel.png
I'm affraid not. But we can help you in another way. Once you fight your way to Damien, he'll summon more troops. We'll keep them occupied so they don't interfere with your work.

nova.png
Sigh. I am sure you will.

rebel.png
Good luck, Starkiller. We'll see you after the nightmare is over.

We do leave the rebel base and go straight to the coordinates he did give us. Ariellian patrols are in the area yet they are able to do little to stop us.

AL%20001344.png

AL%20001345.png

AL%20001351.png

There are two elevators near the hoverdock. One of them, the northernmost one, is under control of a computer system elsewhere. The leftmost one we can open with one of the cards we do already have.

AL%20001358.png

There is not much to do here. The equipment to be found there is not very useful to us. We can see a great number of Ariellian soldiers in a different section of the base yet there is none to stop us here. We do advance to the point in which both sections of the base do find each other. There is an elevator that I do asume does take to Damien Altron near that point but I do ignore it and, instead, do advance to the section of the base on which the troops are.

AL%20001362.png

AL%20001365.png

This section is several times as big as the empty one. It is also full to the brim with Ariellian soldiers. At the end of it is another elevator. By its position I do assume this one does correspond to the one we couldn't use before. Nova is short on ammunition after killing so many soldiers. Both Nova and Amaro did level up several times.

We do return to the elevator we did pass by on our way to the murderous rampage, the one that did promise to take us to Damien.

AL%20001382.png

AL%20001383.png

AL%20001390.png

AL%20001392.png

As they do take the hand drifting under the coat as a sign of evil intent the party does shoot him several times. The wall behind him does suffer heavy damage. Damien Altron does seem unhurt.

damien.png
I usually enjoy this trick, but it's not the same when Camede is dead.

Nova does tilt her head to the side. She does blink a few times. Then a sudden burst of realization does come to her eyes. She does close her left hand into a fist and does raise it close to her lips, does extend the index and middle fingers so that they barely touch her mouth. Her gun does still trail Damien.

nova.png
Akuryou Taisen! Akuryou Taisen!

Several more bursts does the party fire on him. No effect they have. Nova does look intrigued for a short while.

nova.png
I should have brought the Ofuda.

damien.png
You really are stupid.

nova.png
It is not my fault! Who would expect to come face to face with an evil spirit on a Space Western?

damien.png
Can't you recognize a hologram when you shoot through one?

nova.png
Oh...

Nova does put all of her Aegyo on the next line.

nova.png
Oppaaaaa! Would you be so kind as to tell me where do you transmit from?

damien.png
I'm right here. I'm all around you.

nova.png
Never before did I meet an Egregore who did like to play with holograms.

damien.png
I am a highly sophisticated computer system. A complex electronic lifeform, if you will.

nova.png
My version was more original.

damien.png
That's why Camede's death is so distressing. She created me. Then she put me in charge of Ariel Administration, and she went out to gain military control of the four systems.

nova.png
It was fun to kill her. Did you even ponder the reason why these guns are known as Thermocasters?

damien.png
You'll find I'm not easily goaded into hasty action, Starkiller.

nova.png
It would be nice if you were to realize I am here to kill you.

damien.png
Yes.

He begins pacing.

damien.png
And you must realize that the only way to kill me is to destroy this planet. I have systems everywhere. Or are you going to shoot my hologram again?

nova.png
Uhm... Everything I do say is but a lie!

damien.png
So what? You're human. You've been watching too many old programs on the holo. It would take something a lot more sophisticated than that to trick me. It can't be done.

nova.png
This would be much harder if you were an actual egregore. I do believe I have just the thing I need for this job.

damien.png
Enough of this posturing. The past is gone and can't be changed. Maybe we can help each other.

nova.png
Do tell.

damien.png
I know Max Sebastian has hired you to kill me. I'll double his price. How much did he promise you?

nova.png
One hundred thousand.

He shakes his head.

damien.png
That's a lie, but I'll still double that if you go kill Max for me instead. Considering you'll never kill me to collect from him, mine is the better deal.

rinterrupt.jpg

nova.png
We do have a most dealie deal. Do consider it done.

damien.png
Good. I'm sure you will. And don't come back and talk to me until you have killed Max, or you'll regret it for as long as it takes for me to peel the skin from your bones.

The party does leave back to the main floor.

AL%20001434.png

breman.png
*intercomm* I do expect you not to be as foolish as to trust him.

nova.png
I do not. Yet this is a situation from which we can't but win.

amaro.png
I am unsure about your reasoning.

nova.png
Even if we do not get paid we do still get to take out the Ciberan slimeball. And it is not like Damien's troopers can do much against us if this does turn out to be a trap.

breman.png
*intercomm* I do hope you are right. If I am not mistaken the elevator you did use to reach this level from the hoverdock is now under lockdown. You will have to use the other one. And I am affraid...

nova.png
... they did replace the troopers we did kill earlier with new ones, am I right?

breman.png
*intercomm* You are indeed. I do also have to say...

amaro.png
... we are short on ammunition.

breman.png
*intercomm* That's it. Very good.

nova.png
It was about time we did face a little challenge.

The away team does move forward. Many Ariellian troopers do find a messy dead...

AL%20001437.png

AL%20001438.png

AL%20001440.png

... before Nova does find herself out of ammunition for her Thermocaster. Yet many Ariellian soldiers do still stand between the party and the elevator. Enough in fact as to make these she did kill so far little more than an entrée.

Nova and her companions do retreat from the area occupied by the Ariellian forces. She does check the loot she did ignore earlier. The only barely passable gun she does find is a MIII Laser and a few magazines for it. In this way she does come with a plan: She will give the MIII Laser to Amaro and herself use Amaro's M23-30AR as they do have quite a bit of ammunition for it.

In this way equipped the team does carve a bloody path through the Ariellian forces. Yet the M23-30AR is much weaker than Nova's Thermocaster. She is unable to kill enemies as rapidly as she did with the thermocaster, and her companions are not good enough to take the extra pressure. There is also the fact there are simply too many enemy soldiers coming from all directions. Corridors and rooms are both literally flooded by them.

AL%20001446.png

AL%20001447.png

Before long does Nova find herself alone. Dozens of enemy soldiers do remain between her and the elevator. And for the first time she does find herself taking vast amounts of damage as her current gun is unable to take out enemies before her AMD's regeneration rate is ever so slowly overwhelmed. Is this the end of our beautiful, charming, elegant, and adorable heroine?

AL%20001448.png

nova.png
Yo A O, Hom Var Ray...

breman.png
*intercomm* That's far too geeky.

nova.png
The dead do not... geek.

What does follow can only be told by means of several paragraphs worth of pew pew, ka-boom, aieee, I have fifteen children, no please no, ratatata, bang bang, and the like. They do say an image is worth more than a thousand words so I will take the easy way out.

AAA.jpg

Much carnage later...

AL%20001451.png

nova.png
Tch. My hair is a mess.

denner.png
waldro.png
*intercomm* Holy...

nova.png
What does the scouter have to say, Punch?

breman.png
*intercomm* I do believe you did just break it.

Once in the hovercraft she does return to the ship. From there she goes straight to the floating city's bar. There is someone she does need to meet.

AL%20001462.png

nova.png
Would you believe me if I were to tell you I did find a computer not even you would be able to defeat?

lanta.png
There isn't a computer made that I can't turn upside down just by talking to it.

nova.png
The most clever and powerful computer in all of the four systems it is. You did never face an opponent such as this. Do you want to meet it?

lanta.png
No thanks. It isn't worth my while. Besides, I'm getting old. I don't like to get off the planet much.

nova.png
Are you sure you do want to let this opportunity slip you by? This is your chance to make it to the history books. The computer I do speak of is none other than Damien Altron.

lanta.png
Damien Altron? A computer? You're kidding.

nova.png
I am not. Do you want to give it a go?

lanta.png
No. You're crazy. Why would I want to go with you to talk to a computer that doesn't exist?

nova.png
Because we will bet on it. This computer does exist, and it is my will to bet you a thousand credits you will be unable to defeat it.

lanta.png
A thousand? It's a bet. Where are we going?

nova.png
Damien's not far from here. Yet there is something else we do need to do first. And we should get you some body armor as well. His fortress is not the easiest place to get in without an appointment.

lanta.png
Wait, body armor? Wait a minute...

You drag him away.

Back in the starship I do set Waldro and Denner as Nova's new away team.

denner.png
waldro.png
Requiescat in pace, us.

Each does receive a Rush AMD and a kevlar suit but no gun. Their inventory is full of nothing but ammo for Nova's thermocaster.

nova.png
Now we do only need to give the both of you some tribal paraphernalia and we are ready for business.

We do travel back to Mastassini to run a contraband cargo to take to Ciberan. I do not remember where did we come across a Gravblocker but we did indeed come across one as we did travel the four systems. It may have been on Ariel. Before we do travel to Ciberan we do make a stop to give the armor to Galejay.

AL%20001519.png

nova.png
Indeed I am.

darca.png
Good. Give it to me.

nova.png
There you are.

Nova does give him the Gravblocker.

darca.png
The armor fits perfectly. But then it should, since all Darcator are all genetically identical, or nearly so.

nova.png
Do allow me to ask why is then that you are the only one in here who does want to become a mercenary.

darca.png
They say I am insane. I say they are full of crap.

nova.png
Maybe you are both right.

darca.png
Where is our first destination?

nova.png
Ciberan.

The Darcator silently floats up toward the ceiling, testing his new armor. He follows you.

AL%20001532.png

His stealth is quite high. The rest of his character sheet is pretty weak. I do not longer expect my companions to do anything but carry two full bags of extra ammunition so I do not really care.

We do arrive to Ciberan before long. We do go straight to Max Sebastion.

AL%20001536.png

nova.png
What if I were to decide to start with you?

He stares into your eyes, trying to gauge if you are serious.

max.png
I'm the one paying you, smart-ass. Now get out of here and finish the work I hired you to do.

rinterrupt.jpg

Nova does raise her thermocaster.

nova.png
There are not enough credits on the four systems as to make to put up with your whining and your lack of manners worth my while.

AL%20001539.png

A single shot does kill Max. The Ciberan soldiers do not try to stop nova. They do let us leave without trouble.

nova.png
Which does nothing but to evidence how much of an asshole he was.

I do return to Mastassini for a contraband run to Ariel. Before long I am back at Damien Altron's place.

The side elevator is completely dead. To return to Damien I do have to run the gauntlet once again. Yet this time I do have more than enough ammunition for the thermocaster. Most soldiers do die before they can raise their guns. The few who are able to shoot do still die too fast to overwhelm Nova's AMD.

AL%20001577.png

nova.png
Max Sebastion is dead.

damien.png
That's probably a lie, but it doesn't matter if it's true. Did you really think I would pay you if you killed Max?

nova.png
It was worth a shot.

damien.png
I doubt that. I have a little surprise for you. You are gonna like it, but you won't have time to enjoy it. You'll see.

Nova does roll her eyes.

nova.png
If all were as honest as you are my love life would be much less disappointing.

damien.png
Let's just say it's a long way back to the front door. I doubt you'll make it.

nova.png
Do please look forward to our next meeting, Damien. I do have a surprise of my own for you.

damien.png
I'm through talking with you. Goodbye, Starkiller.

Nova did clear the entire level to get in. Nova does clear the entire level to get out.

AL%20001590.png

AL%20001592.png

AL%20001593.png

AL%20001595.png

nova.png
Yawn.

Back in the ship she does switch Waldro for the Lanta. She does return to Damien's fortress.

A new batch of soldiers does wait for her.

AL%20001602.png

AL%20001603.png

AL%20001604.png

nova.png
More yawn.

AL%20001611.png

AL%20001612.png

nova.png
Do impress me, Lanta.

damien.png
I don't appreciate your bringing that reptile in here, Starkiller. You're going to pay for this.

nova.png
One thousand credits in fact.

The Lanta walks up to the hologram and introduces himself. The two begin to talk.

The conversation sounds simple enough, even random and pointless. It drags on for five minutes, then ten. They talk about things from central heating to citizen surveillance.

You wonder what you're doing here listening to this Lanta discuss weather stations with his captive audience. Then you see the holo of Altron flicker.

The holo of Altron is steady again, but it's expressionless. Sometimes when Altron talks, the lips of the holo don't synch with teh words. The talk continues.

Skreed seems to be talking about trivial things, but as he does, he starts backing away from Altron. The hologram is almost motionless.

lanta.png
Get down!

The Lanta yells. You hit the floor and the lights dim. The image of Damien Altron stands frozen above you.

nova.png
What the-

The room shakes and the east wall explodes outward with a sound of grinding concrete and twisting steel. You lay on the floor and cover your head.

The roar slowly fades to a low rumble, and then silence. As the dust settles, the lights come back n stronger than before. You stand up.

nova.png
That must have been a most convincing argument.

He tries futilely to brush himself off.

lanta.png
It's rather complicated. Let's just say he got his priorities confused.

nova.png
Do share.

lanta.png
It's hard to describe. Every computer has priorities. By talking to Damien, I learned it was complex enough to have equal priorities.

nova.png
I am unsure I do follow you.

lanta.png
So I thought up a scenario that set two critical and equal priorities in direct conflict. They each started drawing power from the other. When each priority sensed the drain, it tried to draw more power from the other. The whole process fed on itself. And I used high priorities, so the safety priority was overriden.

nova.png
This is a bet I am more than happy to lose.

lanta.png
That's right. One thousand was the wager. And I must say, it was the most impressive thing I ever did. Look, there's a hole in the wall over there.

The image of Damien Altron flickers, fades, and then disappears.

We do follow the corridor.

AL%20001667.png

AL%20001668.png

nova.png
Let us check the message.

damien.png
Received last message. Invasion proceeding as planned. Report on progress soon.

nova.png
I do feel this <air quotes>Typhon Fleetmaster</air quotes> may be related to the strange ships we did see earlier as we did travel through Ariellian space. Yet what invasion does he refer to?

denner.png
The Ciberan invasion. What else could it be?

nova.png
We were there just now. No unknown ships were to be seen.

breman.png
*intercomm* This may have a connection to whatever did happen on the Rouyn system.

nova.png
I did completely forget about that. We should go take a look.

breman.png
*intercomm* I can but hope someone able to pay us did manage to survive this long.

lightbane

Arcane
More adventures of our beloved psychotic heroic and uncaring selfless mercenary!! :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom