Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Final Fantasy Tactics (Update 10)

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
In 1997, Square released what some consider to be the best game in the Final Fantasy series. It would forever change the nature of Final Fantasy, with mechanics and a setting that were completely new to the seires. The game inspired countless fanboys who continue to play and dissect the game to this day.

I'm not 100% sure where I'm going with this but the punchline is Final Fantasy Tactics.

fft.jpg

Let's Play Final Fantasy Tactics
An RPGCodex Adventure

Often considered something of a black sheep in the Final Fantasy series, Tactics is completely unlike a normal Final Fantasy game in terms of gameplay. The story is one you might find in any other Final Fantasy game, although it is a bit more complex, as it involves political machinations, religion, and...demon possession?

Oh god what am I setting myself up for.

I haven't played this game in...8 years? Something like that. But because I'm a glutton for punishment, and for your amusement, I will be playing with the FFT Insane Difficulty mod, which will probably ensure I end up abandoning this LP in frustration. Let's see how far I can get before I go insane.

At the request of a few people I'm going to start a roster for current and eventual party members. Odds are this won't change very much, though, because of the way FFT works (new recruits start at level 1 and are almost impossible to level). Although I'll probably recruit a few more party members at the start of chapter 2.

Current Roster
Andhaira
Volourn
Cleve
Garfunkel
Cmdr Shepard
Ripley

Reserves

Casualties
Blackheart - Zombified by Queklain

Table of Contents
Chapter 1
Update 0 - In which I do nothing
Update 1 - Children vs criminals
Update 2 - New friends, new enemies
Update 3 - Algus is an asshole
Update 4 - Everything goes wrong
Chapter 2
Update 5 - Princess hunting
Update 6 - All this for a fucking crystal
Update 7 - The Good, the Bad, and the Prosper
Update 8 - Storming the castle
Chapter 3
Update 9 - The Ivalice Inquisition
Update 10 - Everybody Hates Prosper

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Edit: as promised, I sized down the images.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0009.jpg

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0010.jpg

Off to a great start here.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0011.jpg

Oh christ, it's one of those self-trailers with random text that Square puts at the beginning of all of their games now.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0012.jpg

You know what, I'm going to spare you the rest of this cutscene. It doesn't tell you anything.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0016.jpg

Alright, so let's get started.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0017.jpg

God fucking dammit, won't this game just shut up?

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0018.jpg

So we get to name our protagonist, eh? Ramza won't do. We need a name that speaks to the nature of the character. He's constantly several steps behind everyone else, seems to live in his own world, and everyone hates him. Hey, I've got it.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0019.jpg

Perfect.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0020.jpg

To be completely honest I don't even remember what this does. So I just picked today's date as of the time I was recording these screenshots.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0021.jpg

Next we're treated to another fucking cutscene.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0022.jpg

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0023.jpg

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0026.jpg

I'll spare you the rest of the cutscene, it's really just credits.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0038.jpg

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0039.jpg

ovelia.jpg
Just one moment, Agrias.
agrias.jpg
The guards have already arrived.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0040.jpg

By the way, you can probably guess who's important in this cutscene because I bothered to make an avatar for them.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0041.jpg

agrias.jpg
Don't be rude to the Princess, Gafgarion.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0042.jpg

gafgarion.jpg
This is an urgant issue for us.
agrias.jpg
So there are rude knaves even among the Hokuten?

This is as good a place as any to mention that the translation for this game is horrible.

gafgarion.jpg
I'm being more than kind to the guard captains here. Besides, we're mercenaries hired by the Hokuten. I'm not obliged to show respect to you.
agrias.jpg
What? How dare you!

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0043.jpg

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0044.jpg

ovelia.jpg
You too, Simon.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0045.jpg

Simon: Prince Goltana's men!?

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0046.jpg

gafgarion.jpg
What, Prosper? You have a problem, too?
Prosper: ...I'm no longer a Knight. Just a mercenary like you.
gafgarion.jpg
...That's right. Well then. Let's go!

As a side note, I may have forgotten to screencap Prosper talking. Either that or he isn't important. Take from that what you will.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0047.jpg

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0048.jpg

agrias.jpg
What's wrong with Prince Goltana!? He's such an idiot! Does he want to start a war!?

Yes, yes he does.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0049.jpg

Goltana Knight: Just give us the Princess, or that beautiful face of yours will be scarred forever!

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0050.jpg

Which is why Gafgarion is going to attack them head on. He's a great mercenary.

agrias.jpg
Leave this to us!
gafgarion.jpg
We can't make money that way!

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0051.jpg

Time for the tutorial battle. This is your standard "impossible to fail" mission, although the game doesn't really give you any advice. Also, I believe you can technically die on this mission, but it's difficult because Gafgarion and Agrias are both around level 30 and the enemy are all level 10, and the two of them can basically win this battle by themselves. Unfortunately you can only control Prosper in this battle, which makes it pretty tedious.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0052.jpg

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0053.jpg

agrias.jpg
Nonsense! There's no need to kill them! That's just what Goltana wants us to do! Just let them go!

Don't even bother fighting them! Let them take the Princess! We can go get a beer!

gafgarion.jpg
That's impossible!

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0055.jpg

Gafgarion starts off the combat with his rigged-as-fuck Night Sword, which does melee damage at medium range and gives him the damage as health.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0056.jpg

OK, it's our turn. Time to take decisive action.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0057.jpg

Like moving forward.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0058.jpg

When a character uses a special attack, there's a chance that they'll say some line like this one.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0059.jpg

Check out those masterful PSX graphics.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0062.jpg

On our next action we get to murder the fuck out of an archer.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0063.jpg

Unfortunately one of ours gets brought down by another archer.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0066.jpg

PROSPER SMASH

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0067.jpg

And now they're down to just a single knight, who is also by far their strongest unit.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0068.jpg

"Hey guys, let's all use support abilities on this wounded knight and ignore the last remaining enemy while he beats the fuck out of Prosper"

Well, I can't say I blame them; I'd probably do the same thing.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0069.jpg

Then the knight moves over and kills our wounded ally...

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0070.jpg

And gets a free cure spell from Gafgarion because it's cast in a + grid pattern and he was standing in the area.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0071.jpg

The last enemy is FINALLY brought down by the most useless ability in the game: Dash.

All is not well in the church, however.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0072.jpg

ovelia.jpg
: Why should I listen to you!?
delita.jpg
: What an annoying Princess.

FALCON PUNCH

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0073.jpg

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0074.jpg

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0075.jpg

delita.jpg
: Tough...Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0077.jpg

Prosper: ...Delita?? You're alive, Delita? But, why are you in Goltana's troops?

What was all this about? Who are these characters? Will Agrias ever stop being useless? Will the next update be more humorous? Some of those questions and more will be answered next time on LP:FFT

spekkio

Arcane
Often considered something of a black sheep in the Final Fantasy series.
r00fles!
FFT has nothing to do with FF series. It's Tactics Ogre Remake. ;)

PROTIPS:

- switch to PeopsSoft Plugin, turn filtering on,
- use external program for screenshots in fullscreen - no epsxe window,
- disable plugin info,
- switch to 800x600,
- switch to .jpgs

Except of that: Thread sux and OP is a waebo.

But:

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0009.png

Slight :incline:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Good stuff , keep it up

but

Pics are way too big. Batch resize to 640x480 (or something) with appropriate program (acdsee, photosphop, whatever)

Also what's with the pics ? Are you by any chance using print screen to take them If so, you're killing yourself with a spoon. Use fraps to take screenshots.

For alternatives take a look at sticky thread.

That's it... signing out.

spekkio

Arcane
spekkio said:
Incubation, System Shock 2, Tactics Ogre - The Knight of Lodis, Evolva, Fallout Tactics - Brotherhood of Steel, Archimedean Dynasty, Sacrifice, Odin Sphere
ghostdrog said:
Call Of Chtulhu : Shadow Of The Comet. (+) / Strife. (+) / Snatcher. (+) / BloodNet (-) / Clock Tower (+) / Dark Earth (-) / Indy, Fate and Atlantis (+) / Silent Hill (+) / FFO (-)
Xor said:
Oldfags gonna oldfag. :lol:

lightbane

Arcane
ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0019.png

:lol: :lol: You're being a bit harsh to Ramza though, it's not his fault that he's innocent and naive, while everyone else and their mother is a heartless backstabber that scheme constantly. Oh, and I recommend you to use the translation patch if you want to keep your sanity.

Xor

Arcane
spekkio said:
PROTIPS:

- switch to PeopsSoft Plugin, turn filtering on,
- use external program for screenshots in fullscreen - no epsxe window,
- disable plugin info,
- switch to 800x600,
- switch to .jpgs

ghostdog said:
Pics are way too big. Batch resize to 640x480 (or something) with appropriate program (acdsee, photosphop, whatever)

Also what's with the pics ? Are you by any chance using print screen to take them If so, you're killing yourself with a spoon. Use fraps to take screenshots.

I'm using zscreen to capture images; I didn't realize it was grabbing the window frame until after I had already taken several screenshots. I've never seen a screencapture program do that. If I can't figure out how to disable that I'll probably go back to the program I was using before zscreen because I know it won't grab the window.

Also, yeah, I realized the images were a bit large when I checked this thread on my laptop; I tend to forget that not everyone runs their desktop at 1980x1024 resolution. I'll find a way to batch resize the images when I get home.

I talked to a friend of mine who's borderline obsessed with FFT and he said the insane difficulty mod was too much for him and he gave up on it. SO THIS IS GOING TO BE GREAT.

Xor

Arcane
Update 1 - Children vs criminals

Off to a great start here. I overrode my savestate because I didn't remember which key was which in ePSXe.
Also, I know the image quality jumps around through this update. I had to change the video settings a few times before I found something I liked.

Last time on LP:FFT, we watched some cutscenes and played at tutorial battle. And then some jerk named Delita showed up and kidnapped Princess Ovelia.

Who is Delita? Well, the game explains that with more text.

FFT0003.jpg

FFT0004.jpg

Punctuation errors abound in this game.

FFT0006.jpg

I love how it says "heroes and wizards", like wizards can't be heroes or something.
And to the person who suggested I use the retranslation patch, I'm aware it exists, but it's far easier to make fun of the game this way.

FFT0007.jpg

FFT0008.jpg

FFT0009.jpg

Cadet: Must have been the Death Corps...
prosper.jpg
Something's starting...Know anything, Delita?
delita.jpg
No...but I can guess.
prosper.jpg
What do you mean?
delita.jpg
Prince Larg's coming to town.
prosper.jpg
Prince Larg? Why?

Who the fuck is Prince Larg? We'll find out later. This game sure is taking its time introducing itself.

delita.jpg
Not only Larg, but Marquis Elmdor of Limberry, too.
prosper.jpg
That's news! It's not an official visit, is it?
delita.jpg
There are danger zones everywhere in Ivalice. The Hokuten Knights are in full operation, but suffering from a shortage of men.

That didn't really answer the question, but prosper is unperturbed.

prosper.jpg
So, they need us cadets.

FFT0010.jpg

FFT0011.jpg

Knight: As you know, barbarians are rapidly increasing here in Gallionne. The traitorous Death Corps detest the royal family. We cannot overlook them. We will begin exterminating these traitors. By order of our Master.

That doesn't sound ominous at all.

Knight: Larg's Knights stationed at Igros Castle and many other groups will participate. Your duty is to support the flank. Specifically, you'll go to Igros and help guard it.

Suddenly...
FFT0012.jpg

FFT0013.jpg

Knight: A gang of tortured theives is trying to sneak into this town. We'll begin preparations now to keep them out of town! Come with me!

As we'll see in a few moments, they get into town anyway. Unless the knight is talking about something else. I don't know.

FFT0014.jpg

This is the first battle where we can control more than one person! In fact, we can control a whole 5 people which, if memory serves, is the most we can ever bring to a battle anyway. Unfortunately all these characters suck.

Let's go ahead and distinguish this battle with a counter:

Battle 1
FFT0015.jpg

FFT0016.jpg

Thief: OK, all we have to do is kill these kids! Then, we can escape! Don't you worry! We'll kill every one of you!

This guy's a bit of a psychopath.

FFT0017.jpg

OK, let's get this party started. Our entire group consists of three squires (melee damage/support job), two chemists (they throw potions and doesn't afraid of anything), and Delita, who is AI-controlled for most of chapter 1.

FFT0018.jpg

prosper.jpg
Don't patronize me, Delita! I'm also a Beoulve!!

FFT0019.jpg

Thief: So, you must be cadets from the military academy! Snot-nosed little nobles!!
prosper.jpg
Silence! Surrender or die in obscurity!!
Thief: What can a bunch of kids like you do? Buncha spoiled punks like you'll never beat us!!

FFT0020.jpg

So one of our squires is already down. We brought two chemists, though, so we'll be fine.

FFT0021.jpg

Oh, it's on now.

FFT0022.jpg

FFT0023.jpg

:yeah:

FFT0024.jpg

Oh shit. Whelp, there goes Prosper.

FFT0025.jpg

This is why we brought two chemists.

FFT0027.jpg

Throw Stone is the best ability we have at the moment. And I'm not even kidding.

FFT0029.jpg

The first squire we lost turned into a crystal. That'll happen someone stays dead for more than 4 turns. That person is lost forever, but at least we can use their spirit for some combat bonuses.

FFT0030.jpg

It's worth noting that Delita can't permanently die in this battle, which is fortunate because he probably would have by now. If a plot character can die and they do, it's usually a game over.

FFT0031.jpg

This is the 5th time this guy has used a potion :x

FFT0032.jpg

:x :x :x

FFT0033.jpg

FINALLY the last squire ran out of potions.

prosper.jpg
Why do you continue committing acts like robbery? You wouldn't have died this way if you'd led an honest life.

FFT0034.jpg

FFT0035.jpg

We've made it past the first battle, and been given access to the world map. And now we can do some shopping around.
FFT0036.jpg

The soldiers we start with are all mediocre. The only difference between stats in Tactics really come down to the Brave and Faith ratings. Brave determines the success of some random melee abilities like Counter Attack among other things, and Faith determines the character's ability to use and be affected by magic.

FFT0037.jpg

We can hire new soldiers here, but it takes a while to find someone with a decent brave or faith. Also, male soldiers cost 1500 but female soldiers only cost 1400. For no reason.

A few minutes later we have three new hires:

Preacher of the Bioware religion Volourn...
FFT0038.jpg

Brave soldier of Islam Andhaira...
FFT0039.jpg

And invulnerable ĂĽbermench Cleveland Mark Blakemore.
FFT0040.jpg

That's all for now. The next update will probably be longer. We'll be fighting several more battles as the intro to Tactics unfolds.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Should have gone with the PSP version. Translation is better plus they got a few more jobs that are fun as hell. Sounds are a little different too.

Coyote

Arcane
Xor said:
ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0020.png

To be completely honest I don't even remember what this does. So I just picked today's date as of the time I was recording these screenshots.

It determines your Zodiac symbol, which has a minor effect on your "rolls". Each symbol is good against some symbols and bad against others. I don't think this is ever actually explained in the game. It doesn't matter, though, and will almost certainly never factor into your strategies even if you actually bothered to memorize what's good against what (although some players who know about this purposely pick a symbol that's good against the toughest enemies in the game).

delita.jpg
: Tough...Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God.

ePSXe_-_Enhanced_PSX_emulator_0077.jpg

:D Guess we know who she picked. Gotta love that line, though. "Don't blame us, the people who are kidnapping the princess, for the princess's kidnapping." If only that worked in real life.

We can hire new soldiers here, but it takes a while to find someone with a decent brave or faith. Also, male soldiers cost 1500 but female soldiers only cost 1400. For no reason.

What's funny about this is that females have access to better items (like ribbons) and a better class (dancer, as opposed to bard) than males, so they're actually more powerful in the end. (Of course, with unbalanced things like the mathematician class, any character can end up being overpowered. And nobody can match Cid in terms of abilities.)

BTW, high faith isn't always a good thing (unlike high brave). It means your character does more damage with magic, but is also more damaged by magic. If your healer uses items rather than magic (which is a viable strategy, especially with the long casting time of high-level spells), it can be better to have low faith on your warriors. There are spells you can use to raise/lower brave and faith, too, which permanently affect your soldiers' stats if they're raised/lowered enough in a single battle.

(Yeah, I know way too much about this game.)

Looking forward to this LP.

Xor

Arcane
Yeah, I'm aware a higher faith makes you take more magic damage. For my non-casters I usually try to find brave >70 and faith <50. I'll probably make a mediator at some point and use him to max out people's brave and adjust faith as needed. That's what I did when I played this game years ago.

Murk

Arcane
Solo that shit nigga, if you can solo the first fight (with only Ramza and Delita's dumb ass AI) then you get to claim to have big balls.

The birth date determines your Zodiac Sign and starting Faith value. (edit: already answered above, doh). If you want to see which Sign is good/bad against which then go to the character's status screen and move the cursor up to the zodiac sign and click the info button (select, I believe) and it will tell you which its (in)compatible with.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I like everyone to be at high faith myself. Enemy casters can be mitigated by magic evasion and the right equipment, but there's no way to 'fix' the fact that a low faith dead guy will have a shit chance of being raised, or being affected by things like haste, or making healing weaker.

Re: Zodiac signs never being explained in game, the game actually has an incredibly extensive tutorial, and aside from that, you can use the in game help on a person's zodiac sign and it'll tell you what their matches are. Ultimately it doesn't matter a whole lot, unless you want to go all Aspie and make your healers have the best possible compatibility with the rest of your troops. It's not like you're going to swap characters out for a battle because you know the boss is a virgo.

Xor

Arcane
Update 2 - New friends, new enemies

Last time we fought our first real battle. For some reason a group of half-trained kids were asked to fight against real harded criminals. We lost two party members, but replaced them with better people after the battle. Let's move on.

FFT0041.jpg

OK. That's good to know. So, where are we?

FFT0042.jpg

Ah. So what does this have to do with anything?

FFT0043.jpg

I love this game's habit of throwing names and dates at the player like we should know what they mean.

FFT0044.jpg

Also, Zalbag is probably the most amusing name ever. So yeah, I love this guy.

zalbag.jpg
It's only a matter of time before the Ordalia army leaves Zeltennia. Don't worry.

FFT0045.jpg

Although Dycedarg is a pretty funny name too.

dycedarg.jpg
Count Lenario has agreed to your plan.
balbanes.jpg
Good...then, at last...this long war...will finally come to an end...

FFT0047.jpg

zalbag.jpg
Where is Prosper? Just when we need him most!

If you hadn't figured it out by now, this is a flashback. It serves no real purpose other than to provide exposition.

balbanes.jpg
Dycedarg, Zalbag...my beloved sons...Take care of Prosper. He may be your half brother, but he is my own flesh.

Yes, I'm sure Dycedarg and Zalbag are going to be the world's best brothers.

FFT0048.jpg

dycedarg.jpg
Lower your voice.
balbanes.jpg
I'm glad you came....Let me...look at you...
prosper.jpg
Father...
balbanes.jpg
It has been a long time...You've become a fine man...You start at the Academy...in spring, don't you?
prosper.jpg

A man of many words.

balbanes.jpg
Listen, Prosper....A Beoulve has served the royal family for generations. The warrior spirit is in us. Never shame your name...never tolerate injustice...Living true to your heart is the warrior's way...the Beoulve way.
prosper.jpg
I understand, father....
balbanes.jpg
Delita's a good boy. He should serve you well...I've asked the dean to accept him into the Academy. It shocked the dean a bit. He will serve you well...Treat him well...
prosper.jpg
Y, yes.....father......
balbanes.jpg
Take good care of Alma...

FFT0049.jpg

FFT0050.jpg

OK, that's over with.

FFT0052.jpg

Time for another battle!

Battle 2
FFT0053.jpg

FFT0055.jpg

Thief A: Right. Hey, don't blame us. Blame fate.
Thief B: Wha? Damn! The Hokuten knights!

FFT0056.jpg

FFT0058.jpg

This option allows us to select our objective for this battle. We can either choose to destroy the death corps, or we can choose to save that innocent bystander and destroy the death corps. Choices and concequences!

FFT0059.jpg

FFT0062.jpg

FFT0063.jpg

This is going to be tough. Due to poor planning I didn't bring more than 3 potions.

FFT0064.jpg

A bit of good luck with the RNG, though, and this won't be so hard after all.

FFT0065.jpg

Andhaira is MVP for this battle. He's dodged 3 attacks that should have killed him and now he's saved Volourn from a charged shot.

FFT0067.jpg

...And then he gets brought down by a panther. Alas, poor Andhaira. You will be missed.

FFT0068.jpg

All in all this went better than I would have thought it would.

FFT0069.jpg

r00fles!

FFT0070.jpg

FFT0071.jpg

prosper.jpg
Marquis? You mean the Marquis Elmdor?
algus.jpg
Yeah. Who're you?
prosper.jpg
We're military cadets. I think we can help. Tell us more.

One fade out later...

FFT0072.jpg

delita.jpg
A knight...?
algus.jpg
...I mean, a cadet...like you all.
prosper.jpg
I'm Prosper Beolve. This is Delita, a good friend.
algus.jpg
Beoulve...? ...of the Hokuten? Excellent! How lucky I am!
prosper.jpg
???

I'm not sure how you pronouce three question marks.

FFT0074.jpg

algus.jpg
The Marquis is still alive! They've kidnapped him! He will be killed, if we don't act fast! I don't know what I would do if.....
algus.jpg
So please! Help, please....
delita.jpg
Relax. We don't even know for sure if he'll be killed. There must be some reason for the Death Corps to take him. They might have made some demands.

It should be becoming obvious that Delita is the brains of this group.

prosper.jpg
Besides, there is nothing we can do. The Marquis was kidnapped, and I'm sure by now everyone at Igros Castle is up in arms.

Igros was where we were headed anyway.

delita.jpg
First, we should go to Igros and report.

FFT0075.jpg

Later, at Igros Castle...

FFT0076.jpg

dycedarg.jpg
The senior statesmen spoke highly of you. You are truly descended from Beoulves.
prosper.jpg
...Thank you.
dycedarg.jpg
Aren't you happy?
prosper.jpg
Oh, yes, I am. Thank you for the kind words. ...You might have heard about the enemy attacking Elmdor's carriage and kidnapping him. What would you have us do?
dycedarg.jpg
I've already had Zalbag send out a search party. They'll probably demand ransom...if he's still alive.

FFT0078.jpg

algus.jpg
I beg you. Let me avenge my comrades murder!
dycedarg.jpg
I said it's taken care of. Didn't you hear me?

Shot down.

dycedarg.jpg
Gallione isn't any place for you. Let us handle it.
algus.jpg
B..ut!
dycedarg.jpg
Think of your rank, Algus! Have you forgotten you're just a soldier without the rank of Knighthood?
algus.jpg
Urrrgh...

FFT0079.jpg

dycedarg.jpg
It shouldn't be so difficult. "Danger" probably won't get this far.

FFT0080.jpg

algus.jpg
My grandfather was captured during the Fifty Year War...He sold his friends out to the enemy to save himself. But, as he left the castle, he got stabbed in the back by a cadet just like myself. One of my grandfather's friends managed to escape and spread the story around. Of course my father didn't believe it, but everyone else did, they deserted him...

Algus, what did we say to make you think we wanted to know your backstory?

algus.jpg
Rank...Dycedarg would never meet with someone like me...

Technically he just did.

FFT0082.jpg

delita.jpg
Teta!
prosper.jpg
Alma, Zalbag!

FFT0083.jpg

prosper.jpg
Long time no see, brother.
zalbag.jpg
I heard how you beat the thieves in Gariland. That's worthy of a Beoulve. I'm sure father would've been pleased with you.
prosper.jpg
....Thank you.
zalbag.jpg
Heh...haven't changed a bit. You don't like that much, eh?

Yeah, Prosper's still stuck in his own little world. I'm not even sure he remembers the battle with the thieves.

zalbag.jpg
Delita, you look good. I heard about your role also. Just look how happy Teta is.

FFT0084.jpg

Teta is Delita's sister, by the way.

delita.jpg
And you also. How is your schooling?
teta.jpg
Fine. Everyone is so nice to me...
zalbag.jpg
I'd like to talk more with you, but I must hunt down some thieves. Pardon me.
prosper.jpg
I pray for your victory.

FFT0085.jpg

algus.jpg
What!?
zalbag.jpg
....I can't understand it. The Death Corps claim to be anarchists, but they only rob and hurt the nobility.

That actually makes sense. I mean, my understanding of anarchists is that they want a lack of established government, and nobles are the main established government of this setting, so who else would they go after to enforce their agenda?

zalbag.jpg
It's hard to believe they would kidnap the Marquis just for money.

No it's not. If you want to run a rebellion, you need funds.

algus.jpg
Absurd! Why they're nothing more than knaves, I say!

The fuck are you talking about, Algus.

zalbag.jpg
The spy we sent still hasn't returned. He's probably in trouble, but the nobles say there's no need to search for his whereabouts.
prosper.jpg
Where was he when you last heard from him?
zalbag.jpg
A trade city called Dorter, east of Gallione...Guarding a castle is boring work. Don't you think?

FFT0086.jpg

teta.jpg
Don't worry about me. Just take care of yourself.
delita.jpg
Don't worry. I'll come back safely...so be a good girl.
delita.jpg
Well then, let's go, Algus.

FFT0087.jpg

prosper.jpg
Something wrong with Teta?
alma.jpg
She has been picked on at school because of her rank.
prosper.jpg
alma.jpg
Sorry...I shouldn't have worried you like that.

Don't worry, Alma; I don't think prosper even heard you.

FFT0088.jpg

alma.jpg
You're the one going too far to meet their expectations. Just be yourself and don't be restricted by your name.
prosper.jpg
You sound like our mother. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

He was always ignoring her, too.

FFT0090.jpg

We have a new goal - we're headed to Dorter Trade city to rescue the spy sent to infiltrate the Death Corps.
After spending our newly earned gil on some new digs and some class changes, we head for Dorter. But before we get there, it's time for another battle.

Battle 3
FFT0091.jpg

FFT0093.jpg

algus.jpg
This is a matter of life and death. How can you say that?
prosper.jpg
Enough! Here they come!!

This is our first battle against non-humans, and it's going to be annoying.
Goblins are basically thieves, and bombs can self-destruct, denying us precious XP. We now have two AI-controlled party members; Delita and Algus.

I had to play this battle twice because I forgot to buy phoenix downs.

FFT0097.jpg

FFT0098.jpg

Volourn goes down early.

FFT0099.jpg

Fortunately we have phoenix downs this time.

FFT0100.jpg

Prosper is confused. So really, what's new?

FFT0101.jpg

Actually Prosper being confused is probably the worst thing that could have happened.

FFT0102.jpg

Ok, shit got a bit hairy there.

Battle 4
FFT0103.jpg

FFT0104.jpg

wiegraf.jpg
Don't lie to me! I know what you did! Where is Gustav? Where!?
Fencer: I...don't know.....
wiegraf.jpg
Where is the Marquis? Where are you hiding him? Speak!!

FFT0105.jpg

Fencer: D....desert.....
wiegraf.jpg
I see...in "Rat Cellar"...

FFT0106.jpg

wiegraf.jpg
Damn, the Hokuten.

FFT0107.jpg

delita.jpg
I've seen him somewhere...
prosper.jpg
Do you know him, Delita?
delita.jpg
I saw him at the end of the Fifty Years War in Igros...

FFT0108.jpg

This is actually kind of a tough fight. We have to go up against black mages this time. They're easy to kill, but I forsee our party being cooked to a crisp by spells.

FFT0109.jpg

delita.jpg
Leader of a volunteer army, a corps of Death Knights.
algus.jpg
What? ...You mean he's the...?
delita.jpg
Yes...The leader of the Death Corps.

FFT0110.jpg

FFT0111.jpg

Andhaira continues to be MVP.

FFT0112.jpg

Cleve gets murdered by fire.

FFT0113.jpg

Volourn takes a fucker down.

And with that, the battle is over.

FFT0114.jpg

algus.jpg
Where is the Marquis? Where is he being held? Tell us!!!
algus.jpg
Your boss, Wiegraf was just here. Where did he go!?
algus.jpg
Y, you bastard! Say something!!

Not getting anything from the prisoner, Algus just starts punching him.

FFT0116.jpg

algus.jpg
...Listen carefully. In a moment, the Hokuten will begin to slaughter you. That's right, each of you're going straight to hell. Being a thief sure pays, huh?

FFT0117.jpg

FFT0118.jpg

Fencer: We're...not thieves.
algus.jpg
What did you say!?
Fencer: ...Nobles never change. You think we aren't human. We risk our lives in the war for this country.....But you dumped us afterward. How are we different? Birth? Status? What the hell's rank?

That's a good question, actually; it hasn't really been explained.

algus.jpg
You kidnap people for ransom! So don't act so great!!
Fencer: ...Kidnapping the Marquis was not Mr. Wiegraf's plan.
algus.jpg
!?
Fencer: We'd never kidnap a VIP....for money....

Yeah, they'd only kidnap a VIP to kill him.

prosper.jpg
Then, who? Who kidnapped Elmdor?
Fencer: ......
algus.jpg
Talk! If it wasn't you, then who else would do it?

FFT0119.jpg

delita.jpg
Gustav Margueriff...Captain of the "Death Corps".

Delita is pretty well informed.

algus.jpg
So it WAS you all!
Fencer: No. We're fighting to beat you! We're proud that we fight for equality...We're different from Gustav!

FFT0120.jpg

prosper.jpg
Enough, Algus!
algus.jpg
So, where is this Gustav?

FFT0121.jpg

delita.jpg
Algus may not know what they are since he's not from here. 'Sand Rats' only inhabit the Zeklaus Desert north of Dorter.
algus.jpg
!?
prosper.jpg
Was there a village between Dorter and Zeklaus Desert?
delita.jpg
Not anymore. But there is a place where desert people used to gather...
prosper.jpg
.....Gustav and the Marquis may be there.
delita.jpg
Yes, probably.

FFT0122.jpg

Some class changing and item-buying later, we run into a random encounter. It gives us a chance to deploy our new squad, though.

FFT0124.jpg

Volourn is now a black mage, and Andhaira is now a knight.

Battle 5
FFT0125.jpg

OK. From here on out the fights start to get considerably harder.

FFT0126.jpg

Volourn shows off his new awesome button.

FFT0127.jpg

And we mop up pretty quickly.

FFT0128.jpg

That's all for now. Next time we'll learn more about the Death Corps and what the deal with them is, and I'll probably die more often. The battles start getting harder from now on; I doubt I'll finish the next update by tomorrow.

Coyote

Arcane
Xor said:
Thief A: Right. Hey, don't blame us. Blame fate.

See, there they go again. Apparently they're not very big on personal responsibility in this part of Ivalice.

DamnedRegistrations said:
I like everyone to be at high faith myself. Enemy casters can be mitigated by magic evasion and the right equipment, but there's no way to 'fix' the fact that a low faith dead guy will have a shit chance of being raised, or being affected by things like haste, or making healing weaker.

Re: Zodiac signs never being explained in game, the game actually has an incredibly extensive tutorial, and aside from that, you can use the in game help on a person's zodiac sign and it'll tell you what their matches are. Ultimately it doesn't matter a whole lot, unless you want to go all Aspie and make your healers have the best possible compatibility with the rest of your troops. It's not like you're going to swap characters out for a battle because you know the boss is a virgo.

Oops, that's right, I remember now. It's been a while since I played the game. I also forgot about chantage, since I stopped using it when I realized it made you immortal.

As for going aspie, that's nothing. I've heard of people who would delevel all of their characters using a trap found on one of the maps and relevel them as mimes/ninjas/summoners (because they have the best rate of stat increases per level out of all the classes in the game), all for what amounts to a pretty minor gain in the end.

Regarding high/low faith, I tried out a low-faith party once, and it's very much a viable playstyle (at least for an unmodded game), just very different. Though, I always had trouble timing my magic in this game - I found summons to be almost completely useless for this reason - so someone who's better at using it effectively might experience more of a loss by switching to a low-faith party. I recommend you try it out sometime if you haven't; if you've never played the game that way, it completely changes how you have to build your party and approach battles. You generally need multiple healers since alchemists can only heal one person at a time and phoenix downs don't restore your HP very much; you can focus more of your equipment and reaction abilities on physical defense and positive statuses since you don't need to worry about raising magic defense/evasion as much; it becomes less important to target enemy mages (which is nice, because they tend to start out far away and move away when you approach, whereas melee combatants start near and approach you); certain classes (such as geomancers) and abilities (such as draw out, jump, and especially blade grasp*) become more useful; etc. Incidentally, alchemists can be surprisingly strong combatants if you equip them with guns, and since they don't need to spend time casting, you can change tactics on the fly a bit more as needed.

If I had to choose one or the other, I'd probably go for the high-faith party because (a) it relies less on items, which means less time spent tediously trying to find stuff with the move-find ability,** stealing, etc., (b) it relies less on prior knowledge and metagaming for similar reasons, and (c) half the skills in the game use faith, so you're making yourself much less versatile by going with low-faith party, as well as missing out on fun things to mess around with like yin-yang magic and mathematicians. But still, a low-faith party can be much more capable than you might think.

(Also, even for a high-faith party, you don't need a very high faith on warriors to consistently gain the benefits of positive status effects, which leaves only healing. I couldn't give a specific number, but if I had to guess I'd say the increased vulnerability to magic outweighs the benefits of raising it above 50-60, at least until later in the game when you've got more access to magic-resistant equipment.)

* A low-faith, high-brave party where all the members have blade grasp is practically invincible in many of the game's fights. Doesn't matter if you can't heal when nobody can do any real damage to you. But then, blade grasp is pretty overpowered in general; it's just slightly more useful for the low-faith party since their main source of damage will be physical attacks and they don't have the benefit of protection spells.
** Which reminds me, there is one minor drawback to having high brave: it makes you less likely to find rare items while usiing move-find. So it can be handy to keep around one low-brave unit around for item-finding, although it's such a tedious part of the game that I wouldn't bother.

Xor

Arcane
If I let people stay dead it would be a huge pain in the ass. As far as I remember new recruits from the soldier office are always level 1, so I'd have to go through a bunch of random encounters to level them up to par, and random encounters are based off your party level (or apparently about twice your party level in the insane difficulty mod), so it would be really hard to do.

The only way I could see letting people stay dead would be to use a gameshark code to set their level and job levels to something half decent, and I'm not even sure that kind of gameshark code exists.

I wasn't planning on taking signups for that reason, but I'll add you as the next party member if I get the opportunity.

As for the people talking about high vs low faith, I'll take your advice under consideration. It certainly sounds like a high-faith party will be more advantageous than I had originally thought.

I did some research while working on the last update and decided to use Cleve as the party healer instead of Volourn because he has better zodiac compatibility with the current characters. I wouldn't normally bother, but I think I'll need every advantage I can get with the insane difficulty mod.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Summoner is kind of a weird class. You'd think all the high power stuff is where it's at, but what they're really awesome for is spamming the early summons. Ifrit, Shiva, Ramuh and Moogle are very efficient damage/mp/time wise and cover a huge area.

My first time through the game I ended up without much spellcasting actually. A lot of the reaction abilities are extremely powerful. Dragon Spirit, Hamedo, Blade Grasp, Abandon (Holy fuck Abandon is broken late game) and even HP Restore can make a character nearly impossible to kill. Throw in dragoons that aren't even on the map half the time and you pretty much don't even need healing.

Xor

Arcane
DamnedRegistrations said:
Summoner is kind of a weird class. You'd think all the high power stuff is where it's at, but what they're really awesome for is spamming the early summons. Ifrit, Shiva, Ramuh and Moogle are very efficient damage/mp/time wise and cover a huge area.

My first time through the game I ended up without much spellcasting actually. A lot of the reaction abilities are extremely powerful. Dragon Spirit, Hamedo, Blade Grasp, Abandon (Holy fuck Abandon is broken late game) and even HP Restore can make a character nearly impossible to kill. Throw in dragoons that aren't even on the map half the time and you pretty much don't even need healing.

From what I've seen, several of the reaction abilities are nerfed in the insane difficulty mod. I haven't done an extensive check, but Hamedo is gone and I don't remember seeing auto-potion either. Several active abilities seem to be altered as well.

Major_Blackhart said:
Why is there no Blackhart? And why is there no Tactics PSP? It's much better, I pwomise!

I'm mostly not changing because I'm already familiar with this version, I don't have a PSP emulator (does one even exist?), and I'm already a few hours into the game so I don't want to replay all that. I'll add you to the group if I get the opportunity, though.

Xor

Arcane
Update 3 - Algus is an asshole

Last time we met Algus, a knight in training from a disgraced family, and then we headed out in search of the Marquis Elmdor, who was kidnapped by the Death Corps. We learned that the Death Corps was hiding out in Zeklaus Desert, so let's head there now.

FFT0129.jpg

FFT0130.jpg

In this battle, we have to split our team up a bit. It doesn't really have a huge effect here, but in future battles it can mean the difference between success and failure.

Battle 6
FFT0131.jpg

And where would we be without some pre-battle dialog?

FFT0132.jpg

Archer: So I heard. What's going to happen to us?
Knight: Forget the Death Corps and run before we get killed.
Soldier: We'll die anyway if we follow Wiegraf.
Knight: Exactly. If we get a ransom for the Marquis like Gustav planned, we can get outta this misery.

Such loyalty in the Death Corps.

FFT0133.jpg

prosper.jpg
Let's get the guard first, before the others find us!!

What?

FFT0135.jpg

I seriously hate the AI in this game sometimes. Algus, you're an archer FFS. Move onto the hill and shoot shit.

FFT0136.jpg

Squires get an ability called "wish" that revives a fallen ally. It's extremely useful this early in the game.

FFT0137.jpg

Extremely useful. (I know it's not clear from the screenshot, but Cleve went down again so I had to wish him back up a 2nd time.)

FFT0138.jpg

FFT0139.jpg

:yeah:

FFT0140.jpg

Andhaira has a racial affinity for stoning his enemies.

FFT0141.jpg

FFT0142.jpg

The knight's main ability involves breaking items. It's annoying as fuck. Andhaira just lost his helmet, which provided him with +30 HP. Characters gain a small amount of HP from leveling, but a large amount of their HP actually comes from gear.

FFT0143.jpg

And Delita finishes off the last knight.

FFT0144.jpg

I seriously have no idea what Prosper is talking about half the time.

Later...

FFT0146.jpg

gustav.jpg
What we need is food and a place to sleep, not ideas! And we need it now!!
wiegraf.jpg
You only see the present. You have to fix the basics!
gustav.jpg
And you think you'll do that? I don't think so, Wiegraf. Never!

These two are arguing over the direction the Death Corps should take. Wiegraf wants to force the nobles to implement widespread social reform, where Gustav just wants to improve the quality of life for himself and his followers.

wiegraf.jpg
Is that all you want to say? Gustav, good-bye.

Looks like these two are going to fight it out. I'm sure it will be an epic battle.

FFT0147.jpg

FFT0148.jpg

Or maybe not.

FFT0149.jpg

Oh, good. Prosper and co found their way into this basement.

algus.jpg
Marquis!!

FFT0150.jpg

algus.jpg
You bastard!!!
delita.jpg
Stop it, Algus.
wiegraf.jpg
The Marquis is all right. Take him back to Igros.
prosper.jpg
What?
wiegraf.jpg
Kidnapping wasn't our goal. We never stoop to such acts. You can have the Marquis, if you just let me go...well?
algus.jpg
Don't trifle with us! You can't beat us!

Algus, he just killed Gustav without taking a scratch. I don't think you'd fare much better.

delita.jpg
Stop it, Algus. He's serious!

FFT0151.jpg

FFT0152.jpg

delita.jpg
The Death Corps will destroy itself! Don't risk it!
algus.jpg
...Ughh!!

One return trip to Igros later...

FFT0153.jpg

Because Zalbag told us to.

prosper.jpg

Seriously. He doesn't even know what's going on.

dycedarg.jpg
Explain to me....
delita.jpg
I forced Prosper to go with me.
dycedarg.jpg
Is that true, Prosper? Delita forced you to go?
prosper.jpg
....No, it was my decision. Not Delita's.
delita.jpg
Prosper's lying. I was the one to....
prosper.jpg
No need to protect me. I decided to ignore an order!
dycedarg.jpg
If everyone acted lawlessly, how could "law" exist? We Beoulves must show the importance of observing the "law" as the Knights rule. Are you trying to ruin the Beoulve name?

Dycedarg is pretty bent out of shape over this. I mean, come on, we saved the Marquis.

prosper.jpg
......I'm sorry, brother.

FFT0154.jpg

FFT0155.jpg

Our heroes seem to know who this is. I do not.

larg.jpg
I know young soldiers are eagar to succeed. So were we.
dycedarg.jpg
Don't spoil him. There's a line between right and wrong.
larg.jpg
So, you are Dycedarg's younger brother....relax. You look exactly like the late General Balbanes...A fine-looking young man. I'm sure that youthful energy didn't come from just guarding the castle...

OK, so the game doesn't really explain this very well, but this is Prince Larg. He's a big shot in the kingdom we're part of, apparently.

dycedarg.jpg
The mission is nearly done. I'll allow you to join. We'll attack some of the thieves' hideouts at once. You choose one of them.
prosper.jpg
...Yes.

That wasn't a question, Prosper.
And with that, our heroes take their leave.

FFT0157.jpg

larg.jpg
After all, Gustav wasn't much of a soldier. The plan couldn't be changed after the Marquis was kidnapped in Gallione....Besides, he did save the Marquis's life. They must accept our demands. Your brother's actions turned the tide for us...
dycedarg.jpg
The King doesn't have much time to live..... We must hurry.....
larg.jpg
Yes, I'm counting on you, my friend....

Dun dun dun! It appears there is more going on here than we were lead to believe.

FFT0159.jpg

Random encounter time!

Battle 6
FFT0158.jpg

Our opponents are level 10. We're level 3-5. So yeah.

FFT0160.jpg

Surprisingly, everything went better than expected.

Battle 7
FFT0161.jpg

FFT0162.jpg

Death Corps Priest: No way! It's not over yet!
Priest: I agree. It continues until the nobles apologize to us.
miluda.jpg
My brother....His views are too optimistic.

Thief: Enemy attack!

FFT0164.jpg

algus.jpg
I'll stay on till the end!

Or
until the end of this battle.

FFT0165.jpg

This is the first battle where we have to kill a single target.

FFT0167.jpg

Things are going pretty well, actually.

FFT0168.jpg

...Or at least they were.

FFT0169.jpg

miluda.jpg
We're human, just like you! There's no difference among us other than our families! You ever been hungry? With only soup to eat for months? Why do we have to suffer? Because you nobles deprive us our right to live!
algus.jpg
Human? Hmph, ridiculous! From the minute you were born you had to obey us! From the second you were born you were our animals!!

For all he was upset by his low rank earlier, Algus is pretty quick to turn on those lower than him.

miluda.jpg
Says who!? That's nonsense! Who decided all this?!
algus.jpg
It's the Will of Heaven!
miluda.jpg
Heaven? God would never say such things! In his eyes, all are equal! He'd never let this happen! Never!
algus.jpg
Animals have no God!!

Jeez, Algus. That's pretty harsh.

FFT0171.jpg

The most annoying thing about this battle is that all our opponents have the Item secondary ability. The game doesn't give your enemies an inventory, instead they are assumed to have an infinite supply of any item they can use. That means most of them can use phoenix down. Also, Miluda is a holy knight and has the Revive ability, which is like a phoenix down but better.
I ended up starting this battle over, with the intent that next time our group will focus on burning down Miluda as quickly as possible.

FFT0172.jpg

One of the handy features of FFT is that it allows you to see when an ability will execute. This allows us to target a spell with the guarentee that the targets won't move before it goes off.

FFT0173.jpg

Things are going much better this time. Delita was alive to say his line when Miluda said hers.

FFT0174.jpg

We got lucky this time and they positioned themselves poorly. Pretty soon only Miluda is left.

FFT0175.jpg

And it takes several rounds to bring her down because she has a ridiculous evade.
There are several factors that contribute to overall evade. Characters can parry attacks from the front, block attacks from the front and side, and dodge attacks from all directions. I'm not 100% sure but I believe the evade values stack, they aren't rolled separately.

FFT0176.jpg

prosper.jpg
You hate us that much...?
algus.jpg
Prosper, kill her, now! She's your enemy! An enemy of the Beoulves! Understand? Your enemy!

Which one of us was the protagonist again, Algus?

algus.jpg
She's a loser. Who's lost sight of life! Losers cannot remain alive! If we don't kill her, she'll kill us! We can't coexist! Kill her, Prosper! With your own hands!!
delita.jpg
Prosper, I don't see why she's our enemy...
algus.jpg
What did you say? Are you mad, Delita?
delita.jpg
She's not an anima......She's human just like us...
algus.jpg
Are you betraying us!? You, too.....!?

FFT0177.jpg

God dammit Miluda do you want to live or not?

miluda.jpg
You're my enemy as long as you belong to the Beoulves. Don't forget it......
prosper.jpg
Delita...., we are.......?

FFT0178.jpg

Well, that was fun. I wonder how things are going back at Igros?

FFT0179.jpg

FFT0180.jpg

Oh god dammit. Seriously? We were gone for like 10 minutes.

FFT0181.jpg

alma.jpg
Ouch! Let go of my hand! Brother!!

Zalbag to the rescue!

FFT0182.jpg

alma.jpg
I'm OK, but Teta isn't.
zalbag.jpg
Yes, I know.

For fuck's sake, game. This is, what, the 3rd kidnapping? And we're barely a few hours into the game. This calls for another counter.
Kidnapping Count: 3

FFT0183.jpg

dycedarg.jpg
I, I'm all right......What about ...Alma.....?

Dycedarg says this as Alma stands right next to him.

alma.jpg
Yes. I'm fine. What an awful wound....
dycedarg.jpg
I never thought they'd come here. They're after me.
zalbag.jpg
Five people were killed, and Teta was kidnapped.
dycedarg.jpg
After them.....Leave no stone unturned until you find them.
alma.jpg
Please don't talk anymore!

FFT0184.jpg

One return to Igros later...

FFT0185.jpg

dycedarg.jpg
Leave the rest to Zalbag and relax for a while...
dycedarg.jpg
No need to worry....It's not that bad of a wound.
prosper.jpg
Teta....What about Teta....?
dycedarg.jpg
As soon as we find their base, Zalbag will attack in force.
prosper.jpg
W, What...!?
dycedarg.jpg
Death Corps is falling apart. Deserters are down to a few. Wiegraf will be caught....it's just a matter of time.

FFT0186.jpg

dycedarg.jpg
Don't worry. Everything's all planned. We won't attack until Teta's returned. For certain. I'd never abandon Teta. She's like a sister to me.

Well, that's nice. I wonder how Delita's taking this.

FFT0187.jpg

prosper.jpg
Just calm down!
delita.jpg
Calm down? Are you kidding? I can't calm down!
prosper.jpg
You don't know where she is! Don't waste your time!
delita.jpg
Waste my time!? She is my only sister!!

Not well, apparently.

prosper.jpg
Remember, Dycedarg said...He'd never abandon Teta...So.....don't......Ugh...I...can't breathe.

FFT0189.jpg

FFT0190.jpg

prosper.jpg
You mean my brother's lying?
algus.jpg
If I were him, I'd never save a common girl.

Yeah, you wouldn't. Asshole.

delita.jpg
What did you say.....?
algus.jpg
I said I wouldn't send troops to save you, commoners!!
delita.jpg
How dare you!!

Seriously. Algus, we've done nothing but help you. What the fuck.

FFT0191.jpg

delita.jpg
Let go of me! Damn you! Let go!!
algus.jpg
Heh! Commoners are all alike. You'll never be nobles! Delita, You don't belong here! Understand, rascal!?
delita.jpg
Damn you!!
prosper.jpg
Enough! Delita! And you, too, Algus!!

FFT0193.jpg

algus.jpg
You see, Prosper, we nobles can't live with them.
prosper.jpg
Lies! He's my good friend. We're like brothers!
algus.jpg
That's exactly the point. Don't act like friends. You are the son of a distinguished family. You cannot be with him. I'm sure your brothers would agree with me!
delita.jpg
Not all nobles are like you! I trust Prosper!

FFT0196.jpg

God, this guy is an asshole.

FFT0197.jpg

algus.jpg
There are several cordons, so you can't attack them from the front, of course. The only way is to attack from the rear. Well...do your best, you spoiled-rotton boy.

And there goes Algus. With all his equipment, because I forgot to unequip him. :rage:
Actually it turns out I was wrong; apparently the game removes all his equipment before he leaves for us

FFT0198.jpg

There are a few battles on the way to Fort Zeakden. Should be fun. But before that, we need another scene between Prosper and Delita.

FFT0199.jpg

You know, I decided early on not to make gay jokes about Prosper and Delita, but I just want you to know that I could have.

prosper.jpg
....Don't worry, Delita. I'm sure she is OK.
delita.jpg
....I've felt out of place for a long time.
prosper.jpg
Are you thinking about what Algus said?
delita.jpg
I guess there are things you can't change, no matter what.

I wouldn't even need to alter these quotes.

prosper.jpg
Don't say that. If you put effort into it...

FFT0200.jpg

delita.jpg
I want to rescue Teta on my own, but I can't do a thing. I'm 'useless'....
prosper.jpg

FFT0201.jpg

And then they play with their reed flutes...
OK, no gay jokes.

I had planned to finish the rest of chapter 1 in this update (there isn't much more to go), but I'm going to go ahead and stop here. I already have a bit more done, so hopefully the next update shouldn't take me too long to finish. Next time we'll finish up chapter 1 and see how exactly Prosper got to that monestary at the beginning of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom