Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Fallout

Monocause

Arcane
It's a total goatfuck.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I bet you didn’t expect an update so quick, eh? Well, I’m sorry to bring you back, but there we go. In this here update we get ourselves a dog, have the final showdown with the matron and kill raiders. Sounds interesting, right?

I leveled up soon after the jump part and as intended I got the dog. My heart skipped a beat when I saw that he didn’t appear right next to me. To have him appear you either must go to another area or go near a save point. Makes more sense than just have him teleported near you, no?

This is the dog.

001his.jpg

Lovely, isn’t he?

He’s actually pretty good (when he doesn’t get left behind stuck in some wall or dies in some trap) and scores plenty of criticals. Bad part is he takes your experience, and for what I don’t know. I don’t think he levels up. I can’t find a way to access his character sheet so no name for him either. I’ll just call him Drog. Drog, man’s best friend.

OK, so let’s find that machinery.

Some raiders nearby are having a talk.

002ft.jpg

Raider Guard 2: What?

Raider Guard 1: My pee. It’s coming out bright green. Radiation, I guess.

Raider Guard 2: That sucks, man. I’m, uh, I’m gonna stand over here.

Radiation makes your pee green. Kinda like the lollipops that make your tongue blue.

Not long after that we finally get to the machinery which is a reactor and we activate it.

003uz.jpg

So we’re heading for the lair. Again, to my surprise, we don’t have to take the same route back. In fact I think it’s blocked now so we go another way.

On that way we find the first enemy that poses a threat to Drog. Electricity.

004ma.jpg

He died here, but be not afraid, he reappeared at the next save-point.

Opening a valve kills a raider nearby with hot steam.

005sd.jpg

Interactivity.

Speaking of which, we get to test the steam dodging skills BOS taught us:

006if.jpg

Thank God I did the tutorial.

Then we find this:

007go.jpg

Well.. durr… I press square cuz no way something bad’s gonna happen.

008dz.jpg

Hurr… I did not expect this.

Let’s leave this prime example of unexpected event and go forth.

I find a weapon that I cannot use.

009sx.jpg

Did you expect this? I certainly did not. No idea why I can’t use it, though.

I get to flush a toilet too.

010laf.jpg

And sparkling stuff comes out of it.

011xcw.jpg

Toilet humor? I don’t get it.

Finally we’re out and can open that previously locked door to the matron’s lair.

She’s having a talk with someone.

013ktl.jpg

But something happens.

014ci.jpg

Raider Matron: You better not be messing with me you big –

015by.jpg

MUTANT GENERAL! SHIT!

He’s voiced by Tony Jay, btw, just like the cinematics of this game. A disgrace. And he has long hair and 2 balls on sticks coming out from his back.

Mutant General: Our business is concluded.

Raider Matron: Wait! Where are you going?!?

Raider Matron: If there’s a problem, maybe you can stay and help me out… then I can help you.

…she says, in a seductive voice.

016kl.jpg

Mutant General: Whatever problem you now face, it’s yours to face alone.

017pow.jpg

OMG. ASS VIEW!!!!

How the hell did the general got through those small doors?

Because he did… and left the matron quite surprised

018gn.jpg

She lets out her feminine side:

019bx.jpg

At this point I’m given back control and since we’re near a save-point, let’s save. But…

020hk.jpg

OLOLOLOLOOOOL!! Because you see all other worked, but this doesn’t and it’s right near a boss. Take that, player! Unexpected, challenging gameplay!

Fuck you, Chuck Cuevas.

OK, so we enter the room and the matron greets us… sort of.

021fdr.jpg

I DUN UNDERSTUND!! TITS!!! HERP DERP!!!

Btw, the tits use bounce technology. Way before people started calling it innovative.

Me: I’m looking for some Brotherhood soldiers – you know where they went.

Matron: I met some paladins weeks ago. The mutants were heading for a ghoul city, so I gave the Brotherhood directions. That’s what you killed everyone to find out?

Well… I’ll be. Grey area and all that. I may have killed so many raiders for a trivial matter.

Me: Just tell me how to get to the ghoul city and I’ll be on my way…

Matron: Ha ha! You think I’ll let you live after what you’ve done?!? No, I’m gonna kill you myself, you little shit… and I’m going to enjoy it!

Me: If that’s how you want it. Let’s get it on.

Unfortunately she didn’t mean what I thought she meant by “let’s get it on”, so the fight begins.

022gt.jpg

She died incredibly fast. I don’t know if it was because of dog or not.

023po.jpg

Fucking unfulfilling.

Back in town pretty much everything is back to normal. We can even uses Ruby’s services again. But we’re just gonna take some information.

024rc.jpg

Me: Have you heard anything about a mutant army in the area?

Ruby: Mutants?!? When I was a little girl, people told stories about mutants to scare us. They’re not real, are they?

Little girls who don’t believe the stories they’re told become prostitutes. I hope you’re happy.

Me: I’m afraid so. And I’ll need your help if I’m going to find them…

This option just brings me back to the root of the dialog.

Me: I’m looking for a ghoul city in this region…

Ruby: Sorry, I can’t help you. I’ve only seen one ghoul before, a shriveled up fella passing through town. What was his name? Henry? Harold?

Harold… the one they turned into a fucking tree in POS2.

Well, she’s as useless as ever.

The doctor isn’t, however.

025uyr.jpg

Me: You know, there are mutants working with the raiders.

Vidya: Mutants?!? I never saw one, but I’ve seen the destruction they’ve caused… If there are mutants in the are, we’ll have to be extra careful from now on.

Yeah. So far you were just sitting here taking it from the raiders, but from now on you’ll be strong!

Me: Do you know anything about a city of ghouls?

Vidya: There was a ghoul city to the west called Necropolis. But that place was wiped out by the mutants. I guess the survivors may have settled somewhere else…

Nothing else of much interest in town. The bar and the warehouse are now inaccessible and there’s another reference on one of the walls.

026k.jpg

When you have no imagination to come up with something good just stick posters on walls. That should do it.

The one that apparently can help us push the thing forward is the Wasteland Stranger.

027mf.jpg

Hah! What did I tell you? It’s his flask! Kiss me, you sentimental old fool!
Wasteland Stranger: Thanks, kid. You just made my day. And the old vault colors haven’t even faded that much… well well. Here’s those caps.

Wasteland Stranger: Maybe you’ll make it as a Brotherhood knight after all. I’ve been helping these people figure out how they’re going to stay alive… but I’ll be leaving soon.

Me: There are mutants working with the raiders.

Nadia doesn’t give a shit about the old man’s stories.

Wasteland Stranger: I’ve dealt with mutants before… I still remember their Master, his flesh crawling along the walls, a floor of wriggling fingers, clutching at me… If mutants are involved, you’ll need all the help you can get. Here, take this.

Ah.. 1 stimpack. Thank you so much! This is what I needed to destroy the mutants!

Me: Do you know anything about a ghoul city in this region?

Wasteland Stranger: Yeah, I know about a ghoul city.

The answer is always half of the question.

Wasteland Stranger: It’s called Los… Los Anything. I’ll draw you a map.

Los Anything…

:cry:

Wasteland Stranger: Careful if you go there – they don’t like humans.

Well, I guess I’ll just wear a ghoul mask then. Haw haw.

After the dialog is over:

028ik.jpg

OMG, new character AND bonus movies! Bonus movies being the cinematics I’ve seen so far I guess. Great bonus!

We get to chapter two of the story now, in Los Anything where…

The githzerai have invaded?

029dq.jpg

Ah.. they’re only ghouls. And they have a Cult Priest which is larger than the others. The next boss?

He recites some deep stuff.

Ghoul Cult Priest: We Strive in battles dire…

Ghoul Cult Priest: … in unseen conflictions with shapes bred from the forsaken wilderness.

Ghoul Cult Priest: Shapes of beast, insect, serpent, and… human.

030n.jpg

Ghoul Cult Priest: Los behind me stands, a terrible flaming sun!

Ghoul Cult Priest: It dictates the penalty for trespass: annihilation!

031fi.jpg

He sort of floats, I think, I can’t see very well… being that THE FUCKING CAMERA IS SO CLOSE and kills the man.

I guess they really don’t like humans.

Ghoul Cult Priest: Let the word go forth.

Ghoul Cult Priest: None may enter the city of Los without the permission of the Church of the Lost.

032x.jpg

Ghoul Civilian 2: Who cares? It’s just a human.

Ghoul Civilian 1: Come on, let’s go pick our scabs.

Somebody kill me.

Next time we get to do this:

033zk.jpg

And shoot the unfriendly ones in the kneecaps, I guess.

Carceri

Arcane
A very good lulz provider this update, but I must say I am a bit disappointed by the Matron, I was expecting a fat whale not the same character model like Ruby. Oh well, tits are welcome in most cases I guess.

I’ll just call him Drog. Drog, man’s best friend.

Worthless Mutt imported from Arcanum, no way this is Dogmeat.

Pliskin

Arbiter
07.jpg

Free dog? Should have named him "Mr. Bollocks".

I would have taken Sadist. As a matter o' fact, I demand you choose Sadist next!!!!!!!!!!

(PS: What's the matter with your faaaaccce???)

Awor Szurkrarz said:
It seems to be better than Fallout 3.

Well, I think it's pretty apparent by now which Fallout Bethesduh got their primary inspiration from, eh?

lightbane

Arcane
*Reads the last update, headdesks until the desk is no longer* Oh man, this sucks in EVERY. Way. Seriously, even the graphics look worse than a PS1 game, and now the mutants behave as a cheap rip-off of generic evil cultists. I fear what they had done to our beloved ghoul. Also, I suspect the reason you cannot use that mortar is 'cause you have not trained the necessary skills (btw, could you explain what does each perk do in the next update? More for a morbid curiousity than anything), or every character is limited to a certain type of gear.

PS: Hell, even the only faq of this game on GAMEFAGS mentions constantly this sucks. But it reveals some spoilers, like
The Vault WAnderer from FO1 becomes an enemy boss later and that prostitute is actually evil and you must slay her at the endgame.

Angthoron

Arcane
lightbane said:
PS: Hell, even the only faq of this game on GAMEFAGS mentions constantly this sucks. But it reveals some spoilers, like
The Vault WAnderer from FO1 becomes an enemy boss later and that prostitute is actually evil and you must slay her at the endgame.

What.

lightbane

Arcane
Angthoron said:
lightbane said:

What.

Actually, my mistake, is another character you must kill, not the prostitute, but the Vault Wanderer continues to be a boss, the final challenger on an arena I think

Silellak

Cipher
Let's Play Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel's Metacritic Page!

Brotherhood of Steel (PS2)
Brotherhood of Steel (XBox)

Metacritic Score: 64 (66 for XBox)
IGN Score: 7.5
PSM Score: 80
PSM said:
A surprisingly deep, well-written, and entertaining action RPG that offers lots of customization, co-op play, and a great game universe. [Mar 2004, p.28]
Gamezilla!: 88

Gamezilla said:
It's exactly what I find fun in games and the fact it's a Fallout title automatically makes it a winner in my book. But to the rest of the world, load times, freeze up, tough viewable angle and way mature themes might make you want to rent this one before buying.
I wonder if he'd enjoy Fallout: Barbie Horse Wasteland Adventures?

Play Magazine, Official XBox Magazine, Maxim Online, Game Over Online, Game Informer, Gamepro: 80+
Gamespy: 75

Metacritic User Score: 2.8 (5.3 for XBox)

MetacriticUserComment1 said:
This game isn't the greatest, but it for sure is a good time killer. These Fallout fanboys need to really get lives; though the game might not be Fallout 3, it isn't the end of the world. I've played all the previous Fallout games, and the atmosphere (cold, dark and gritty) is faithfully recreated. The music is top-notch for a game with all sorts of metal bands being signed, the sounds however become quite repetative especially the "witty" comments your characters make sometimes after killing hordes of baddies. The game moves at a really quick pace, and feels pretty much like Gauntlet set in the middle of a wasteland. A really fun addition is the two-player mode, though alot of the time the game quickly degenerates into both players trying to horde the best items. Me and some friends have got into some pretty heated debates over who gets the new minigun we just found in a crate...
MetacriticUserComment2 said:
The poor fan boys of the original Fallout don't like it and probably haven't even played the game. This game is fun, the graphics are good. Shame on you sad fan boys ..
Huh, this one sounds like Fallout 3 fanboys. Coincidence? (no)

MetacriticUserComment3 said:
I like this game, it's not like Fallout 1 & 2 on the PC but it's almost there, if you're a fan of FO for the PC you will like this one as well, it's a hit when playing it co-op with some of your mentally disfunctional friends and laughs about all the funny speeches throughout the game.
The game is, indeed, fun for retards.

DraQ

Arcane
:codexrage:

At least the Gay Spot reviewer highlighted numerous times how exactly was the game banal, shit and boring compared to the godlike classic that was Fallout, before inoffensively concluding that it was good for what it was (TM), so it was more of an issue with the score, than the review itself.

Tails

Arbiter
You all are just blinded by nostalgia, fools.

Also carry on, good sir.

spekkio

Arcane
FeelTheRads probably an-hero'ed. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom