Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Let's Play Fallout 4: your mom is collateral damage

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Why I'm tired of Fallout 4 encumbrance
"You're carrying too much and can't run!"

By Wesley Yin-Poole Published 17/11/2015
A friend of mine visited over the weekend. He'd never played any of the Fallout games, nor had he played any of the Elder Scrolls games. But he'd seen adverts for Fallout 4 and asked me to show it to him. So on went the PlayStation 4 and on went Fallout 4.

My quicksave set me loose where I'd left off: out and about, exploring Bethesda's wonderful wasteland. "This is Fallout 4," I said. "You explore, talk to NPCs, shoot monsters, complete quests and level up. It's a post-apocalyptic role-playing game set in a huge open world. It's a bit like Mad Max. It's great. You'll love it."

This is a good point to show my mate the game, I thought, because I was on my way to Diamond City, Fallout 4's biggest settlement. On the way, while crossing a destroyed bridge over a radiated river, I stopped to investigate a group of Raiders who'd claimed a boat that had crashed many moons ago. What stories would I hear? What secrets would I discover? How deep would the rabbit hole go? This kind of off-the-beaten-track diversion is Fallout at its best.

"I'll kill them for their loot," I told my friend. "You spend a lot of time scavenging, looting corpses, opening boxes, that sort of thing. They'll probably have some cool stuff I want."

After the shootout, I did my rounds, leaving a trail of naked corpses in my wake. Most of the Raiders offered up standard fare: leathers, pistols, ammo and the like. But one had something different. One Raider had extra bits and bobs for Power Armour.

jpg

Sorry fella. Dog eat dog world and all that.

"This is great," I told my friend. "I want this for my Power Armour back at Red Rocket Truck Stop." So I looted the lot.

Then, the inevitable: "You're carrying too much and can't run!"

"So, yeah, in Fallout 4, if you're carrying too much you slow right down, and you can't fast travel back to home base," I explained.

Into the Pip-boy I went, poring through my inventory, looking for something to dump on Piper, my then companion. But she didn't have any of it. "I'm full, mate. No more room for more of your rubbish." Decision time: do I drop some of the cool stuff I had on me, some of the junk items I'd picked up? Some of the weapons? I spent a good 10 minutes fumbling about the menu screens trying to shuffle bits and bobs this way and back until I came to the inevitable conclusion: I'll just leave the armour on the Raider's corpse.

"You seem to spend more time in the menu than in the game," my astute friend observed. "I don't think this is for me, to be honest."

I tried to explain that messing about in menus is part of the fun of Fallout - indeed it's a part of the fun of most role-playing games. There's a strategy to managing your weight. I need to decide what to take and what to leave behind. When you're so weighed down the game forces you to crawl, working out how to lighten the load without dumping the essentials is somehow fun. What is it Call of Duty marketing man always says? Oh yes, that's it: there's a logistics manager in all of us.

But, for me, with Fallout 4 it's just not worth it.

jpg

You think I'm playing Fallout 4 wrong, don't you?

With Fallout 4 Bethesda did something different: it made all junk items valuable. Previously, you could safely ditch all junk items safe in the knowledge they were largely useless. You'd sell them for bottle caps, or maybe hoard them in your house. Either way, they weren't worth stressing through your inventory for.

But Fallout 4's new crafting and base-building features mean looting junk is pretty much essential if you want to make a success of your settlements. Junk items and their component parts are used to build the various items available in base building. There's a nifty new feature that shows you whether an item in the world breaks down into a part you're tracking. So you can see how important scavenging for junk is in Fallout 4.

This, though, doesn't mesh well with how often you find yourself over encumbered (or, as my wife affectionately calls it, over cucumbered). This happens much more often in Fallout 4 than other RPGs I've played because I want all the junk. And then I stumble upon something cool I have to pick up - a new fancy gun, or a new fancy piece of armour - that pushes my backpack over the edge. And I have to spend another boring 10 minutes fumbling with the inventory system. I do that, or face the prospect of fast-traveling back to base to store my stuff in a workshop, which, let's be honest, is just a painstaking, tiresome, bloated way of doing something as simple as move items from one bit of the game world to another.

I can load up my companion, of course, as you've been able to do in previous Bethesda games, but there's no way to instantly transfer ALL junk items to him, her or... it. So I have to manually transfer each item. Then, back at base, I can instantly transfer all items back to my character, but that lumps in items my companion had equipped. So now I have to go through my inventory to dig out my companion's gear, transfer it back and equip it. Then, I dump all my junk in a workshop.

It grinds you down.

jpg

Step up to the plate. Really. If you want to loot the plate, you have to step up to it.

Part of the appeal of Fallout 4 is it lets me role-play as a post-nuclear scavenger, picking the bones of Boston's 200 year-old corpse. I love going on "scrap runs", as they're called, braving unexplored areas in the hope of finding a fan, or a cash register, or some duct tape, or something that pre-war was so mundane as to blend into the background, now so valuable as to make me punch the air upon its discovery. And then, loaded up with the spoils of my expedition, I fast travel back to base, my eyes wide with excitement. Now I can build a slightly fancier shack for my settlers! Won't it look gorgeous!

Encumbrance triggers so often in Fallout 4 that it gets in the way of the fun - and for me no longer in a good way. I'm entranced as my scrap run peaks and troughs, a 15 minute diversion becomes a half hour dungeon crawl, a chance encounter becomes a side quest, a dusty vault door opens to reveal a world within a world, packed with horror. I am truly immersed in post-apocalyptic Boston, the game world dug into my skin with all the strength of a Deathclaw's iron grip. And it won't let go.

And then the spell is broken by encumbrance. Putting off the inevitable, I fiddle with the inventory in a vain hope some more space will present itself. I look disdainfully at my companion - who is already at her weight limit - when she offers to carry some of my stuff for the fifth time. Are you trolling me, Piper? I know you can't carry any more of my crap. Stop trying to help!

I must backtrack to the door I used to enter the mysterious hole I've just spent a glorious hour inching through, and leave so I'm out in the open - just so the game will let me fast travel home. I've had enough of weight management. I've had enough of my backpack getting me down. It's got to the stage where it's just annoying.

I often hear the word "realism" used by those who counter this argument. It wouldn't be very realistic if you could carry as much stuff as you want, they say. To that I respond: the realism horse bolted long ago. Fallout 4 and, let's be honest, all games, include magic backpacks that let you carry around a bucket load of stuff, before some arbitrary stat tells you you can't carry any more. It's already silly. Why not make it sillier?

So, after 15 or so hours with Fallout 4, I'm done with encumbrance. It's an archaic mechanic that gets in the way of the best the game has to offer. If you make junk matter, Bethesda, let us carry as much crap as we want. It's a video game, after all, about robots who tell jokes. It's not a post-nuclear simulation. Leave that to DayZ.

"Yeah, I don't think this is for me," my friend concludes. "Really, once it gets going, it's fantastic," I counter. "It looks a bit too much like hard work," he suggests. Yeah, I guess it does.

Aspie. Aspie never changes.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Aspie. Aspie never changes.
Well he does have a point. If you create a whole base building game inside a game you'd better make good UI and add efficient means to carry building resources. Like hiring a caravan of brahmins, allowing multiple companions in party or even ride a car/fly a vertibird.

Imagine Minecraft/Terraria where you couldn't carry 50 sets of 999 blocks. Either you abstract everything and, say, make resources weightless unlike ammo/armor (handwave it with "been sent to base/you mark it for collecting later") or add more space in inventory somehow.

RK47

Patron
Well he does have a point. If you create a whole base building game inside a game you'd better make good UI and add efficient means to carry building resources. Like hiring a caravan of brahmins, allowing multiple companions in party or even ride a car/fly a vertibird.

Imagine Minecraft/Terraria where you couldn't carry 50 sets of 999 blocks. Either you abstract everything and, say, make resources weightless unlike ammo/armor (handwave it with "been sent to base/you mark it for collecting later") or add more space in inventory somehow.

IMAGINE NOT BUILDING A BASE IN A SHIT BASE BUILDING GAME.
IMAGINE NOT BREATHING WHEN SOMEONE FARTED
IMAGINE NOT EATING SHIT WHEN YOU SHIT
IMAGINE IMAGINE IMAGINE

All I'm saying is, yeah the UI is a concern but the author is to blame for stripping every raider he killed. C'mon, it's just a little inventory management. Next thing you know sprinting should be unlimited because it's not fun to run out of breath when you need to get around places quickly. He even said the part that bothered him is simply because he needed it for his power armor. Oh dear. YOU MUST ABSOLUTELY HAVE IT NOW. IMMEDIATELY. OR ELSE THE GAME SUCKS.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Well he said he was a lot more conciderate in F:NV, where things that truly mattered, like food, water and meds (especially with survival options on) asked player to make decisions. So even if he was an aspie before, F4 brought out the worst of that from him now.

Then, concider that hoarding here is not about LARPing or decorating your house but for actual shit like improving PWA. So powergaming > autism.

And TBH, the loot in Elder Scrolls (yea I am not even bothering to pretend lol) was out of control since Morrowind, when they made a lot of stuff interactable (like that silver table-ware everyone loots in the beginning).
Is grabbing everything always dumb? Yea, TES are not that demanding sort of games. Relax when playing brah, you can deal with shit later. Sniff a glue bottle, hum a song from Shira Oka about penguin love.
But does it give you advantage and breaks economy? Yea, so it's not all player's fault, it's just how Beth designs their games.

Black

Arcane
IMAGINE NOT BUILDING A BASE IN A SHIT BASE BUILDING GAME.
IMAGINE NOT BREATHING WHEN SOMEONE FARTED
IMAGINE NOT EATING SHIT WHEN YOU SHIT
IMAGINE IMAGINE IMAGINE
Playing fo4 is getting to you, you can still stop, end this madness.

Starwars

Arcane
I just watched the latest few videos... is that audio sting of someone laughing like a retard (ugh huhuhuh!) really real or something you put in there? It looks like it's the result of a specific perk or something.

Game looks really shitty.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Btw,
Strong Back 3 STR 6 20 When overencumbered, you can use Action Points to run.
Strong Back 4 STR 6 30 When overencumbered, you can fast travel.

Seems like a must have aspie perk. STR seems quite nice cause of that, ablity to craft armor and get a perk for x2 damage with heavy weapons.

Also, RK, there is a mayor of Little Lamp Light from Fallout 3 in this game and he is a possible companion. And he is not a kid anymore.
If you meet him, can you please use 1 fat man missile on him? Cutting his head off and placing somewhere high would also be nice.

RK47

Patron
Btw,
Strong Back 3 STR 6 20 When overencumbered, you can use Action Points to run.
Strong Back 4 STR 6 30 When overencumbered, you can fast travel.

Seems like a must have aspie perk. STR seems quite nice cause of that, ablity to craft armor and get a perk for x2 damage with heavy weapons.

Also, RK, there is a mayor of Little Lamp Light from Fallout 3 in this game and he is a possible companion. And he is not a kid anymore.
If you meet him, can you please use 1 fat man missile on him? Cutting his head off and placing somewhere high would also be nice.

I don't think I'll be continuing the LP. I'm getting bored of this game.
There's really no scarcity of resources to talk about, every goddamn medkit contains stims, and ammo is plentiful. Caps flowing freely.
I'm pretty bored. There's just no sense of danger anymore.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Power Armor should be treated like a relic for gangs to fight over and dozens to die and kill for. Shouldn't be one suit every 10 fucking minutes.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
I just watched the latest few videos... is that audio sting of someone laughing like a retard (ugh huhuhuh!) really real or something you put in there? It looks like it's the result of a specific perk or something.

Game looks really shitty.

That's the random exp effect from the idiot savant perk

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Power Armor should be treated like a relic for gangs to fight over and dozens to die and kill for. Shouldn't be one suit every 10 fucking minutes.
You can't think critically about anything or expect any semblance of good game design in order to play something like this.

Why hasn't power armor sitting at the bottom of a river sunk into the ground? Why haven't the buildings rotted away? Why does the girl have a crisp irish accent after 200 years of her ancestors living in america? Why do the cars still explode? Why would anyone design a mini nuke if the resulting explosion is comparable to conventional explosives? How can the institute have miniaturized computer technology capable of producing Blade Runner-like synthetic lifeforms with AI's that are indistinguishable from humans and have free will, when most of the computer tech is vacuum tubes and DOS prompts? If the technology to teleport exists, why weren't nukes teleported into enemy territory or spys teleported there in order to stop the war from happening in the first place? How exactly does the "Junkie Gun" have higher damage when you are suffering withdrawals?

But at least they got rid of the stupid toilet drinking. :salute:

edit:
All I'm saying is, yeah the UI is a concern but the author is to blame for stripping every raider he killed. C'mon, it's just a little inventory management. Next thing you know sprinting should be unlimited because it's not fun to run out of breath when you need to get around places quickly. He even said the part that bothered him is simply because he needed it for his power armor. Oh dear. YOU MUST ABSOLUTELY HAVE IT NOW. IMMEDIATELY. OR ELSE THE GAME SUCKS.
The complaint makes me laugh when I think about how slow paced the walking and running in Morrowind was if you started with low agility/athletics. All movement in Fallout 4 is sprinting compared to that caterpillar-hiking simulator.

Last edited by a moderator:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think I'll be continuing the LP. I'm getting bored of this game.
There's really no scarcity of resources to talk about, every goddamn medkit contains stims, and ammo is plentiful. Caps flowing freely.
I'm pretty bored. There's just no sense of danger anymore.
Well, you did your best. :bro:

Playing this game can only be endured by retards anyway.

I just watched ep 22: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLK6U4HoE6k I lol'd at the black guy with a Nazi-style hat and how he tells you you can't wear PA two minutes before the "Elder" with the Macklemore hairdo promotes you to a knight. It's nice to see a game setting difficult goals to motivate a player to strive towards them and advance through the game.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
RK delivers :salute:

Hit me up when next Mass Effect is out of you need let's play sponsorship

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth

Still remember lying eyes on a power armor in Fallout 1 for the first time,
the thought to once, possibly own one for yourself, the proud feeling
when you did, the feeling of invincibility, the next Mutant Patrol that
cut you down, as you ran into them, recognizing, you are not
immortality incarnate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom