Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Fallout 2 as a pacifist

baturinsky

Arcane
ATTENTION. Photobucket sucks. So, if you don't see images, but still for some reasons want to read first 6 parts, here is a link to them as single archive

There is a little story behind it. It was when I played F2 fourth or fifth time. In Navarro. I was going to purge it, like I always did before. Because they are obviously, bad guys, and there is lot of xp involved. But then I learned a little fact.

One of female soldiers there had a nickname. It was given her by her scientist boyfriend, can't remember name. Nickname was "Snookie".

And I realized that, somehow, I just can't kill someone named Snookie. Or her boyfriend. Or that blind cook. Or vertibird mechanic. And I'm not keen to slaughter rest of Navarro either. May be because this world, and people in it, are real. Not as real as real people, of cause, but real enough for me, to make killing them a moral choice. And I am only comfortable with one option of it.

Next time I played Fallout, I played without killing people (except one or two assassinations out of combat). Next time was without killing at all, even robots and animals. Just to see if it's possible. Surprisingly, game was hardly less fun or long than "usual". You miss some content, yes, but not much. Only problem is reduced replayability - combat's randomnes add a lot of variety. But there are other games with (better) tactical combat.

So, now I'll play F2 again, with following rules.

1. Empty kill list, except may be final boss.

2. Roleplay pacifist. That is, avoid combat and violence, even if it does not lead to violation of rule 1.

Also, I'll try to not overuse guides and wikis, at least early game.

Here it goes. Part 1 - Arroyo and Klamath.

This is the version I played, no fancy mods like Restoration, just basics

scr00002.png

Let's get to character creator.

scr00004.png

Hello, Katia.

IN10 is obvious, we'll need AG 10 to run from things. CH 10 is probably not necessary, so we could skip Gifted too, and take Good Natured instead. Taking Science instead of Steal would by probably a good idea too - we won't have to steal much, actually. But, this works too.

Aaaand, Jinxed. This gotta be fun.

First attempt to talk our way out...

scr00005.png

Failed.

Ok, Katia, let's go in and try to convince ants not to eat you right away.

Hello, ants, me Katia, me friend.

scr00006.png

Ants think you looks more like a lunch. But their short legs are no match for you. So you just run past them and open the door.

scr00007.png

Another door, now with actual lock. Looking very convincing. And you have no key, or lockpicks, or any lockpicking skills to speak of. PANIC!

scr00009.png

Err, what just happen? You don't know how, but you just "picked the lock". This adventuring thing is easier than you imagined.

scr00010.png

Trap room was not more convincing than "lock". Are they ever trying?

scr00012.png

Ok, they probably do. This looks very... impenetrable. And you tripped down over some ant on the way, here, damn!

Let's go find something to go through it.

scr00015.png

It took much more time and scorpion bites than should. You could not find anything door-openery in chests around. Finally you looked at the vase nearest to door. D'oh!

scr00016.png

This should be enough. Go away, ant, I'm blowing things here.

scr00017.png

Boom!

scr00018.png

Some more looting and scorpions later...

scr00019.png

Katia even managed to learn some basics about Sneaking. It mostly amounts to"don't run while sneak".

Oh, what's that? Exit, finally! And Whatshisname, congratulating you on us finishing trial triumphantly.

scr00020.png

What? Are you really going to hurt lil cute me?

scr00021.png

Katia, do you believe that yourself? "For a given amount of "peaceful" and given amount of "any"», you say? Let's hope so.

scr00022.png

Anyway, this somehow worked. Yay for first challenge on this quest that you overcame diplomatically. No, Katia, "running really, really fast" is not a diplomacy. It's completely different stat.

scr00023.png

New clothes! Also, F12 is not working in FMV.

scr00024.png

Taking Everything That Isn't Nailed Down (TETINND) is much easier, when there are no easily irritable wildlife crawling around. On minus side, there is not much to take.

Now let's go around and show off our "new" and fancy suit.

First Arroyo quest.

scr00025.png

Ok, you'll look into it.

scr00026.png

Free skills lessons! You are not going to actually use melee weapons, but what if you'll have to?

scr00028.png

Ok, Katia, how have you done it without skills or instruments? But hey, 100exp.

Oh, hi, Rasputin, Hil plz.

scr00031.png

Tnx. And no, I can't help you getting rid of that mutated plants. I'm not into fighting. Or gardening, for that matter.

NOTE: first quest we have to skip. Not much to lose here, actually. Most strictly combat quests are just this - "go and kill X monsters"

Now, to rescue that dog. Katia tried to not come near any lizard, but actually, they are quite mellow. Only damage was from radiation puddle.

scr00032.png

Hello, doggie!

scr00033.png

Hello, mr. Gecko. You will not eat us, right?

scr00034.png

It did not. It was probably too busy being irradiated.

Katia returned dog to happy owner and set sail to Klamath.

scr00037.png

But not before a little innocent practice in Stealing.

scr00039.png

Woah, big city. It's exactly how you imagined it.

scr00040.png

Hello, Torr. No, I don't do killing, sorry.

NOTE: another quest we had to turn down. I heard you can do it without killing scorpions, though.

scr00041.png

At last, someone with actual money. Farewell to arms!

As it turned out later, rope was not that useful. When you need one, there is usually some lying around. And it is heavy!

scr00042.png

Hmm, that IS a lot of money. But as it happened, it's money you actually have. Tough decision.

scr00043.png

But you can't leave your fellow tribal in trouble, if you can help. You are free to go, Sulik. Or stay, this crazy lady seems to like you.

Ding! 500 exp

scr00045.png

First level up, and first skill at 100%

You have seen enough tribals in your life, so you are not really interested
in talking with Sulik. You go to that interesting looking man instead.

scr00047.png

Employment opportunity! And you think you have some experience navigating
lizard-infested hunting grounds.

scr00049.png

Another nice man teach you womanly art of hand-to-hand combat. And 150xp!
Also, he mentioned big (ther are even bigger than this?!) and scary city of New
Reno somewhere south. He refused to be more specific about it's location,
saying it's not a place for lady like you. He is probably right.

scr00051.png

Hmm, nope. You don't like the way he smiles. And betraying your employers is
a bad thing for business.

Hmm, some urchin blocks the door. Aaaah, you are trapped!

scr00052.png

Best. Feature. Ever.

You explored city some more, in your usual TETINND manner. Then you sold
loot back to people that have cash, or something else interesting, yet
inexpensive.

scr00053.png

Like this red book. Maybe you'll learn something useful from it?

NOTE: I did not speak much with Duntons, and probably missed some quests
because of it.

scr00056.png

You found Vic's cabin (and looted it), but he is not here, and nothing leads
to his location.

So, you asked around. Man at the city entrance pointed you to Jenny.

scr00057.png

Jenny was helpful. You'll go visit Den when you are done here.

Where is that hunting ground, now? You walked around, looking for it, but
found some irritated flying metal octopus instead.

scr00058.png

You run past it to some interesting looking pile of junk.

scr00059.png

But all you got from here was some important-looking piece of plastic.

Octopus stopped pursuing you, and you managed to sneak past it back without
being noticed.

You then went to left, err, west part of town.

scr00061.png

And talked some key out of some guy. Or is it guy out of key?

scr00062.png

Behind the door you found some boots. Ugly, but probably useful to walk over
irradiated goo.

scr00063.png

Further progress is blocked by a living carpet of rats, though.

And no, I don't think
you can convinve these rats to be cooperative.

NOTE: So, yes, I had to skip Rat God killing too, obviously. But I think
it's possible to sneak past rats.

Ok, now to find that still.

scr00065.png

Geckos here are much more hostile that those in Arroyo. But you successfully
sneaked in and refueled still.

scr00067.png

They noticed you on the way back, though. Too late, lizards!

Ok, now back in city.

scr00068.png

Toxic mines quest. You should probably try it.

scr00069.png

Nope, too many geckos, too little space. May be later, when you are better
at sneaking.

Next stop - The Den. You encountered some radscorpions on the way

scr00071.png

But they were quite spectacularly incompetent at dealing any damage to
you.

scr00072.png

And here we are.

It may seem I had to skip a lot in Klamath, but it gets better later. Den, Modok, VC, Gecko have lot of quest, most of which are without violence involved. Also, we'll return to Klamath later with better Sneak skill, to get car part and may be rescue Smiley.

BONUS.

Suggested build for pacifist run.

scr00254.png

It is not what I'm actually using, but probably what I would, if I'd read guide first.

It is by no means guaranteed best, and not final. I'll review it when I finish the run.

Most stat checks need 6 in stat, and a lot of them need PE, so 6PE/6CH is better than 4PE/10CH.
LK is not really needed, unless it's some really high number. EN you can live without.

So, you can save on stats, and get Good Natured instead of Gifted, for a much more skill points.

Skills - Speech is the master skill, Sneak is "never enough" skill. Repair and Lockpick are important, but you can help yourself with tools. Science is both used often, and will be needed well above 100%.

Jinxed is more a flavor thing, so you can trade it for Skilled.

MorteTorment

Novice
Don't think that I've seen a pacifist lp before, and you certainly know how to make it entertaining. Even if this wasn't a Fallout 2 LP, you would still have me interested.

Looking forward to more.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Och fuck, it makes me want to install Fallout 2. It's so many years since I was in Klamath...

baturinsky

Arcane
Second part. Den + Modoc.

Welcome to The Den.City of tiny thieves.
scr00073.png

And no, "force push" does not work on them.

scr00075.png

First quest. This should be easy. You have 100% speech already!

Now let's visit that Mezger guy.
scr00076.png

Hmm, Enclave? Interesting. You should find more about whatever this is.
NOTE: I think it's first time in game Enclave is mentioned.

Hi, Vic!
scr00078.png

Problem is, Mezger wants 1000$ for Vic. You don't think this whole city combined have that much in cash. May be if you'd not spent that350$ on Sulik...

scr00079.png

Sigh, you knew it will come to it sooner or later, right? Close eyes and think of Arroyo.
You still have to find 165$ somewhere.

scr00080.png

10$ and half an hour of your life for stupid story about stupid cat.

scr00081.png

And 200 exp.

scr00082.png

Nice window. If you'd know how to use a gun, you'd probably could just stand here and shoot down whole slaver guild, as they run out of the doors.

scr00083.png

Did Metzger asked you to check over this church? May be he did, you can't quite remember. You are not even sure that you want to know what's inside. But dialogue option is here, and you gonna use it.
scr00084.png

500 exp!

You did your looting-and-selling thing, but still just a little short of 500$. You even tried to do some extortion for Becky.
scr00085.png

But people are strange here. They think that extorting money consist of you paying their debts for them.

scr00086.png

Smitty here has quite an interesting business proposal. 2000$ for a car sounds much more reasonable than 1000$ (or 500$ and your dignity) for an old fat man. But you'll need to find a fuel controller. Shouldn't be hard.

scr00088.png

You knew that your curiosity will come useful! May be you are a psychic?

Level up! And first perk.
scr00090.png

Tough choice. Kama Sutra probably will give more possibilities later, but memory of encounter with Mezger is too fresh. You don't want this to be your career choice. Thief, on the other hand, while also not quite respectable, but it's 40% skills! You also spend points to get Stealing 90%

NOTE: Also, this perk is a reason NOT to take any of that skills as tagged.That 10% are not becoming 20% for tagged skills. Also, I'm not sure if steal is that useful early game. That depends on which skill is used from shoplifting

scr00092.png

500$. 500$? 500$! 500$.
Also, you asked, if it's OK to for that lady brigand to attack church. Mezger says yes.

Vic does not know where Vault 13 is. But he points you to Vault City. You let him tag around - he probably will not survive alone.

Now you want to finish your business here.

What is that strange man by strange building?
scr00095.png

World gets around, heh? Already? But it was just this morning!

scr00096.png

You were asked to find their weakness. Here it is!

scr00097.png

And you found a book for Becky. Small trick here that I found by accident. If you hold SHIFT, you will suppress running. And alsohihjlight all objects on ground. I'm missing screenshot here(probably did not pressed F12 all the way), but this book was highlighted even behind the wall.

scr00098.png

Oh-oh, not looking good. But, money.. And exp... Ok, you are in.

scr00103.png

You went with them, but split away just before the church, so you don't have to see the carnage.
Looks like operation "Church" was successful. You got the exp.

NOTE: In game's therms, it's running to green grid as soon as you regain control. If you stay, each kill done by "your" side will be added to your kill list.

scr00104.png

And you got the money.

scr00101.png

Sure, ghost, I'll find your locket.

scr00102.png

Guy in a room nearby knows something, but nothing that helps us find the locket.

scr00106.png

Mommy, on the other hand, was quite helpful.

scr00108.png

This Joel is a hard nut. Even intimidated like that, he still demanded 50$ for the locket. Katia decided not to tempt fate and pay.

scr00110.png

Rest in peace, Anna! Btw, why bones was where ghost was, and not in the grave? Weird.

One last thing. Becky's Booze Secret. Your charm was not enough to crack her, but you kept trying. And sampling the booze.
Eventually...
scr00194.png

Diligence overcomes everything!

scr00196.png

He wants you to destroy the still. But you have a better idea. See! Cooperation is the way to go.

scr00192.png

You also traded all your junk for awesome-looking toolbox.
NOTE: Which was probably not necessary, because you can get several for free in VC.

Ok, this is probably it with Den. You probably should find a way to liberate the slaves, but you don't see how you can do it now. Maybe someone in Vault City can help?

Way to VC was long and perilous.
scr00199.png

Raiders. Skip.

scr00200.png

Raiders vs Highwayman. Run the hell out.

scr00201.png

Jinxed in action.

scr00203.png

Next!

scr00204.png

Radscorpions caught you off guard. Nothing serious.

scr00205.png

At last.

scr00206.png

This guy wants you to investigate some farm. Also, you can steal quite a lot from shelves around him.

scr00207.png

At last, you found a use for a rope. And you probably dreamed about lots of bags with one coin in each.
There is not much useful here, actually. Just a toy gun.

scr00208.png

Church. Is it Christian, or Hubologist? You did not get a straight answer out of woman.

scr00209.png

You have absolutely no idea what "watch" is, or where to find it. But you somehow know, that dynamite you just "found" in shop will come useful.

scr00210.png

Sounds like a great idea.

scr00211.png

First stick probably went dud, because even after 10 minutes, it did not go off. So, you set second and last stick to 10 seconds. Certainly, diligence overcomes even reason!

scr00212.png

But it worked. Spectacularly.

scr00214.png

500 exp and another angry rat. We gotta stop meeting like this. With rats, not with exp.
But yet again, your awesome running abilities prevailed. Not a scratch, and you found something. Probably it is a watch.

scr00216.png

Yes, it is!

scr00218.png

Sorry, no wiping out for you today.

Now, let's go to that farm.
scr00220.png

Well, they did not start shooting right away. It's a good sign!

scr00221.png

You knew they were nice! Sure, you will help establish diplomatic relations between sovereign nations of Slags (which is probably what they call themselves) and Modoc.

scr00222.png

You will deliver this letter right away... When you are done with VC.

NOTE: Yes, it's because of one month limit for checking on that runaway farmer in Den. I completely forgot about it first time. I did not want to return before I get car part from Gecko, and then Irun out of time, and had to reload from end of Den.

Encounter near VC. Those guys looks really serious.
scr00223.png

Fortunately, they are friendly.

scr00224.png

Welcome to Vault City!

MorteTorment

Novice
Och fuck, it makes me want to install Fallout 2. It's so many years since I was in Klamath...

Yeah, and it's one of the least interesting towns in the game too. But considering that Fallout 2 has what I consider to be the best set of towns in any game, that's not that bad

In other words, yeah it's awesome now, but it's gonna keep getting better and better for the most part.

Edit: Oh, and now you can see for yourself what I mean!

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Yeah, and it's one of the least interesting towns in the game too. But considering that Fallout 2 has what I consider to be the best set of towns in any game, that's not that bad
Well, Klamath was still a very characteristic town and has a very nice feeling to it.

baturinsky

Arcane
Is it totally possible to avoid combat in 2?
Like in, never go into combat mode? Maybe. I'm pretty sure you can sneak by ants in ToT, if you are careful and/or patient.
And I keep hearing rumors about alternative ways to kill Horrigan. But without some heavy exploit use, I think closes to "non-combat" with Horrigan is to make cannons kill him.

Like in, never go into combat mode? Maybe. I'm pretty sure you can sneak by ants in ToT, if you are careful and/or patient.
And I keep hearing rumors about alternative ways to kill Horrigan. But without some heavy exploit use, I think closes to "non-combat" with Horrigan is to make cannons kill him.

Actually that's a running joke on the Codex you probably didn't have the occasion to stumble upon. One of Retardo Land stickies.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...otally-avoid-combat-in-fallout-1-and-2.22371/

I started from Fallout LP myself. That included Mothership Zeta walkthrough for the lulz. Let us not speak about it :P Good luck in your LP, will watch it.

You can repair that Mr. Handy in Klamath for some XP, and it'll be friendly then. I guess that counts as a pacifist non-marked quest? You may have to sneak up on him, though.

Also, wasn't that Enclave keycard red?

MorteTorment

Novice

Yeah...literally not going into combat mode probably isn't possible, but you can run away from every battle in the game besides the last boss IIRC.

Edit: Oh, and I just made it past the moderation period. That was a lot faster than I thought.

MorteTorment

Novice

Actually that's a running joke on the Codex you probably didn't have the occasion to stumble upon. One of Retardo Land stickies.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...otally-avoid-combat-in-fallout-1-and-2.22371/

I started from Fallout LP myself. That included Mothership Zeta walkthrough for the lulz. Let us not speak about it :P Good luck in your LP, will watch it.

Got the following error mesage:

You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

Endemic

Arcane
Really? Well that's a shame. What is GD exactly anyways?

General Discussion. Mostly full of inanity, the odd porn thread, other random crap like that. It was funny but the moderators got tired of newbies\flamebait I guess.

General Discussion. Mostly full of inanity, the odd porn thread, other random crap like that. It was funny but the moderators got tired of newbies\flamebait I guess.

Oh, so it's completely rule free?

It's basically a bit like light version of 4chan. Something bizarre for the lulz intertwined with a bit of ":obviously:" regarding movies recently watched etc.

And then there's the Politics thread, which is a haven for a few far-right odd personalities here to talk about Jews and liberals (edit: that's the censorship of Lib.eral here because of it) ruining everything. Others are more or less critical regarding various news but participate in discussions anyway. While "cesspool" GD is a place mainly for the lulz, Politics is simply ignored by many Codexers.

I guess it's an unfortunate adverse effect of Codex being a place with a "conservative" approach towards RPG games and being critical about the modern mass culture while having low moderation and censorship to speak your mind. Like everything, it has pros and cons.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I guess it's an unfortunate adverse effect of Codex being a place with a "conservative" approach towards RPG games and being critical about the modern mass culture while having low moderation and censorship to speak your mind. Like everything, it has pros and cons.
Adverse effect :D ?

MorteTorment

Novice

Oh, so it's completely rule free?

It's basically a bit like light version of 4chan. Something bizarre for the lulz intertwined with a bit of ":obviously:" regarding movies recently watched etc.

And then there's the Politics thread, which is a haven for a few far-right odd personalities here to talk about Jews and liberals (edit: that's the censorship of Lib.eral here because of it) ruining everything. Others are more or less critical regarding various news but participate in discussions anyway. While "cesspool" GD is a place mainly for the lulz, Politics is simply ignored by many Codexers.

Yeah...sounds like a great place to avoid, even when I do get access to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom