Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Dune

omega21

Arcane
Thanks. Battles with zero losses? Sounds like the real book then, it was hilarious how much the Fremen stomped everyone. And yeah I get how it was supposed to be an allegory and all, yada yada

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
13. The Green Menace

To the working planetologist, his most important tool is human beings.
Pardot Kynes, Imperial Planetologist

Last time:
12_016_zpsrqncaoxt.png

13_001_zpsxuq8vfwe.png

Paul: You know, you’ve had almost four weeks to inspect this palace at your leisure. [come with me]
13_002_zpsuf9bxfzp.png

Paul: Whatever. [stop talking]

We go to the only room that’s left to find. The palace has eleven rooms total. What’s the point of looking for secret rooms if you already know where they are? It may be more difficult to find the map (figuring out the red dot is clickable) than the hidden rooms themselves.

Were the developers seriously worried players would get lost or frustrated from having to brute-force through fewer than a dozen rooms?
13_003_zpsgw9u2muc.png

13_004_zpse8qpchmp.png

13_005_zpsnonekfgk.png

13_006_zpsrzfwu7ti.png

In the novel, Jessica did find a hidden greenhouse in the palace, but it happened right after arriving on Dune.
13_007_zps3udciam7.png

Paul: You’re a big waste of water. [stop talking]
13_008_zpsyjuc5mvu.png

Paul: Have it your way. I’ve found all the hidden room and you won’t leave the palace, so I won’t need you as a companion for the foreseeable future. Get it, foreseeable future? Prescience? Never mind. [stay here]

A reminder to show the greenhouse to Chani:
13_009_zpsc1rireo6.png

Paul: Actually, you didn’t. When I asked you what the secret was, your exact words were: “Don’t ask me what… I don’t know!”
:rpgcodex:
13_010_zps51yddktb.png

Paul: You’re comparing me to your father? Don’t tell me you have daddy issues… [talk to me]
13_011_zpsdh5fptor.png

Paul: Whoa, slow down girl. We’ve known each other for barely a week and you want me to meet your father? [talk to me]
13_012_zpsqzwwua4s.png

Paul: WHAT?! Stilgar, you manipulative bastard. And I thought you were being a righteous wingman. [talk to me]
13_013_zps9diwcxo1.png

Paul: Well, I already introduced you to mom, so I guess I can’t back out. [stop talking]

That was Duncan in the background, by the way. I wanted to see if he makes any comments regarding to greenhouse, but he didn’t.

13_014_zpstk0jodd0.png

If we don’t have Stilgar as a companion, Chani reminds us to bring him along.

13_015_zpsuhfo9zki.png

Paul: I’m sure you’d like that, you old fag.

13_016_zpsdwwyo2u5.png

Keeping the prospectors gainfully employed.

We find Oxtyn-Timin on our way to Oxtyn-Tabr. This Fremen chief also has a unique intro speech:
13_017_zps2gza50pg.png

Classic Cryo translation :lol:
13_018_zpspa3c9ldg.png

Paul: I’ll give you guys a revival, alright. There’s going to be a bad moon rising with a mouse on it.
13_019_zps7c4bh8mt.png

This is one of the game’s largest Fremen troops, so we’ll have them specialize in army.

13_020_zpsytprtrf4.png

Paul: Yup. Wait, your dad was here all along? [talk to me]
13_021_zpsxbktjc8f.png

Paul: You know, you could have just showed me the location on the map. [talk to me]
13_022_zpsnngyezfy.png

13_023_zpsj9j1ceea.png

As you may have noticed, I’m still using the orni because in order to call a worm, Paul needs to be in the desert and he’s almost always indoors, so it’s easier to choose “take an orni” from the Dune Map, whereas he needs to be outside in order to call a worm from the map screen. Also, the worm summoning animation takes longer than the orni liftoff (which is sometimes skipped).

13_024_zpse2n8ryxo.png

We reach Oxtyn-Tabr and meet Liet Kynes, the imperial planetologist.
Note the Stilgar is not in the party. I was curious what would happen if we didn’t bring Stilgar along. Also, you can tell that I’m taking my time in the main playthrough, since the day counter is only 19 in some of the next screenshots.

Cutscene:
13_025_zpsursgqtra.png

13_026_zpsk5fxlvfo.png

Paul: Hey, you kinda look like a mad scientist.
13_027_zpss3kmqf2c.png

Paul: Stilgar?!
:what:
13_028_zpslvokt017.png

Paul: What do mean you brought him someone?
13_029_zpse5msxuyy.png

Paul: Don’t take this the wrong way, but do you use human test subjects?
13_030_zpsvccg27ez.png

Paul: Stilgar! You lured me into an ambush? Was it the fact that I constantly insinuated you’re into dudes?
13_031_zps7nub3es3.png

Paul: OHGAWDPLEASENO
13_032_zps2xu0cvyj.png

Paul: Mommy.
13_033_zpsnezybahb.png

13_034_zpstctqnspl.png

13_035_zpsvr2fftwo.png

Paul: Oh, I get it. These experiments are research for the secret weapon. It’s like that thing Thufir was talking about.
End of cutscene.

Oh, Cryo, you never let the absence of characters get in the way of the plot, do you? :lol:
At least they don’t make us go back a fetch Stilgar just so he gets to say his one line of dialogue.

13_036_zpsomyxtrv7.png

We try going forward.

13_037_zpsf8xccuek.png

Paul: I thought you were telling me everything. [stop talking]

Chani: I’m glad to see my father.

13_038_zpswydnh1nf.png

Paul: Ignoramuses! [talk to me]
flashback from update 8
Stillsuit maker: Ha, ha, Paul Atreides, you seem to be much interested in spice!
Paul: It’s kind of the only reason anyone visits this hellhole planet…
/flashback
13_039_zps8oxdhsdw.png

Paul: A fool’s errand if you ask me. True love needs to be unconditional. So many people enter relationships thinking “I’ll get the other person to change” and maybe they can to an extent, but they’ll revert to their old ways. I should know, plenty of girls tried that on me. [talk to me]
That was an inside joke on the fate of Dune’s terraformation project.
13_040_zpsdttvwcgp.png

This is how Dune was conceived by Frank Herbert. He was researching how grasses can help reduce desertification for an article on the Oregon Dunes. The article was never finished and was published decades later in The Road to Dune, which also includes an early draft of Dune, called Spice Planet.
13_041_zpsuqot4y0g.png

Chani: I’m glad to see my father.

13_042_zpscwndnti7.png

Paul: Man, don’t talk to me about that dude’s bulbs. [talk to me]
13_043_zpsngwepikw.png

Paul: Ha ha, very funny, Stil. You’re not suggesting we use biological warfare, are you? Get it, biological? Bu seriously, you’re not suggesting we destroy the spice? Do remember that spice it by far the most valuable substance in the whole universe and that it can only be found here, on Dune. [talk to me]

We follow Liet Kynes in the next room, which is not a room at all, but a garden.

13_044_zpspvscqof8.png

13_045_zpsqjtlc4wt.png

Paul: Uh, so you’re really suggesting fighting the Harkonnen with flower power? [talk to me]
13_046_zpsko225q2r.png

Paul: How many Fremen would you like to work on your bulbs? [talk to me]
13_047_zpsymwwvexh.png

Paul: Don’t you mean work under you? :smug: [talk to me]
13_048_zpseqc3xbav.png

13_049_zps5o78dxtp.png

13_050_zps6wk7oyar.png

Paul: What about Liet Kynes’ father, Pardot Kynes? He was Imperial Planetologist before his son and married a Fremen woman. Gotcha. :smug: [talk to me]
13_051_zpsttsfmj42.png

13_052_zpsrvztufhv.png

13_053_zpsejvhf594.png

First, we do it the wrong way.
13_054_zpsrr22mtna.png

Paul: Sure! [accept]

13_055_zps1qlqeryn.png

13_056_zpswvgrdb64.png

Paul: Whoa. Psychedelic.
13_057_zpsqoz1mxhv.png

13_058_zpsesezu9ek.png

13_059_zps6q0nh0rf.png

Paul: I’ll pass. I’m not drinking that stuff until I find out what it is. Since only Reverend Mothers use it, it could be some weird feminine hygiene product for all I know. [refuse]
13_060_zpsb3v2gfem.png

The same three options are presented in all negotiations. In this case, choosing “Argue” has the same effect as choosing “Refuse”.
13_061_zpsthgydrcy.png

Chani’s comment is based on another character’s quote from the novel.

[stay here]
13_062_zpsns6ahyhz.png

Stilgar, Gurney or Harah would say the same thing if we told them to sit in the reservoir.
The YYMV: Dune page on TV Tropes mentions: “It's also perfectly possible to tell Stilgar to remain in a place which you can only enter with him (the windtrap with Water of Life), and then leave. Since he is a Required Party Member at some points of the game, you can't win anymore.”

One mistake is the fact that any sietch with a windtrap also has Water of Life, and there are quite a few of them. For storytelling purposes, I omitted to show that as soon as we gain Stilgar as a companion, we can enter the reservoirs (only if the Fremen accept to work for us, which they will now that we have Stilgar) or tell the fremen troop to leave the sietch and they won’t refuse. The conversation in the catchbasin would have been the same.

The TV Tropes quote refers to the sietches where the chiefs wouldn’t allow us to go to the back room. The secret room is actually another water reservoir. Since Stilgar can’t be abandoned at the reservoir, the situation described is impossible to achieve.

A difference between the game and the novel is that in the novel, every sietch had a windtrap, catchbasin and Water of Life (they need water for drinking and Water of Life for Reverend Mothers). This was probably a deliberate choice, since building windtraps is part of the ecology gameplay.

We fly from Sihaya-Tuek to one of the new sietches added by Kynes, Sihaya-Harg.
13_063_zps3ey9co02.png

Paul: Hey, another normal-looking Fremen. [talk to me]
13_064_zpsnvneur6f.png

We’ll humor the old man and let him run his vegetation experiments.
13_065_zpst79nzcyb.png

13_066_zpspfoxlmny.png

13_067_zpsftnstbzi.png

I forgot to take a screenshot, but I sent the troop to Kynes’ sietch to help him grow bulbs, which ecology troops will be able to carry to sietches with windraps/water reservoirs and plant them there.
13_068_zpsob4am1ix.png

13_069_zps2syj066r.png

This guy has a large troop, so we assign army training instead.

I sent the prospectors ahead to one of the new sietches.
13_070_zpstlpingiy.png

13_071_zpsmgyhajpw.png

13_072_zpsoklmo2tl.png

We return to the new sietches that Kynes added to our map.
13_073_zpsbbbcfbqc.png

This guy is from the Habbanya region in the south, and I forgot about him.
13_074_zpsbowjlk1r.png

13_075_zpsfpydffqf.png

We assign this troop to spice-mining, since the south is rich in spice.

We go back to this naib who said earlier that he doesn’t see the point of working for us.
13_076_zpsgpukje4x.png

Paul: Well, you blew your first chance and I removed your harvester, so that means you’re in the army now.

We stop by a smuggler to buy some weapons. We drive a hard bargain.
13_077_zps5yhnwhqq.png

13_078_zpsgulgrh5z.png

We go back to the palace and tell Duncan to pay the smuggler.

Jessica: You’ve been invited to drink the Water of Life… Hmmm… You were right not to try… I’ve heard about it but not much… Listen, I’m going to investigate.
Paul: Oh, good. For once I’m not the one who is supposed to search for information. [stop talking]

I’m not sure what the trigger for this event is, but I think there’s a timer that starts after meeting Liet Kynes.
13_079_zpspvnip9t9.png

13_080_zpschygaix8.png

Stilgar says the same thing.

When Chani says epidemic, she’s not kidding. If we wait around too long, the disease will spread to other sietches and the Fremen will simply sit around until we take care of it.

From my experience, the disease starts at the sietch with most Fremen troops, so it’s probably wise to spread your army troops in multiple sietches to avoid having a large chunk of forces out of commission.

We recruit another troop from one of the sietches Kynes added to the map.
13_081_zpswclyjkgl.png

13_082_zpsnmgbwtz8.png

We actually have to make him join us before he’ll allow us in the catchbasin.
13_083_zpsyz6hrg8h.png

13_084_zpsurqw4ar6.png

We send this small troop to Liet Kynes to work on the ecology projects.

We reach the recently-conquered sietch, Bledan-Timin.
13_085_zpsz41vinhe.png

13_086_zps4rm84ffr.png

13_087_zps4egktgpe.png

13_088_zpstttfbgv5.png

13_089_zpsfuwftn0n.png

13_090_zpsb32g2tqh.png

Paul: So you think you can cure an unknown disease that affects a few thousand men in a couple of days? Let Thufir handle the mentat projections, alright? [stop talking]

13_091_zpsythbzwjj.png

Paul: I’ve brought halp. [stop talking]
13_092_zpsqp7mlpdn.png

Paul: Stil, she wants the D. :smug:
… suddenly leaving her with thousands of sick men sounds like a bad idea. [stop talking]

We recruit some more volunteers from the newly discovered sietches:
13_093_zpsf36a8atc.png

13_094_zps5f3q0rez.png

13_095_zps49epdn53.png

13_096_zpslsfrgeht.png

13_097_zpsyoaqne87.png

Paul: Ugh, this day’s not been going so well…
13_098_zpshlft8bko.png

Paul: Fan-freaking-tastic.

13_099_zpsuh6pdbem.png

Paul: Don’t we all.

13_100_zpsiynfms0f.png

Pau: Wow, that was really close. I could do with some good news right about now. [accept]

13_101_zpsexafqnl2.png

Paul: :yeah:

13_102_zpsvnhxeydy.png

Paul: :rage:

The last update was a little short, so I’m adding some bonus screenshots from the CD version.
13_103_zpsayncbvzo.png

The palace at night.

13_104_zpscxp5igwh.png

Summoning a worm at twilight. This is an example of how the dunes in the worm animation look strange because they don’t change color based on the time of day, unlike the rest of the game. The fainting/death animation has the same issue.

Also, the dunes in the animation are the ones from the DOS version, not the 3D rendered dunes usually used in the CD version.

As I mentioned, I don’t really like the flat, monochromatic sky in the orni and worm travel sequences on the CD version, but the worm travel is better implemented than the orni since the travel loop is not as evident. Ironically, the next three screenshots managed to capture the exact same dunes in the travel loop at different times of day.

The DOS version dealt with rocky areas by just placing rocky outcroppings. The CD version added mountains for orni travel, but worms can’t travel on rocky terrain, so it’s been removed from the worm travel sequence.

Riding a worm at different times of day.
Evening:
13_105_zps07cphimi.png

Morning:
13_106_zpsmlcwgwhw.png

Day:
13_107_zpskmaebjjz.png

13_108_zpstskjgsrt.png

13_109_zpsxpydbrwn.png

Evening:
13_110_zps3punof8v.png

Night:
13_111_zpsk8xhypei.png

13_112_zpsm4rnwxcq.png

13_113_zpsc1bzm8fj.png

13_114_zpsznjt3kcn.png

I’m guessing the next few screenshots are supposed to take place during one of those strange red nights (see the very last screenshot, which is definitely at night):
13_115_zpszvocxjve.png

13_116_zps4edcc2jv.png

13_117_zpsmkngd61d.png

13_118_zpsfeqaqrbt.png

13_119_zpso4vbq8kq.png

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The upcoming part never worked for me, considering Fremen womyn and children can beat Sardaukar in the books...
so no way some Harkonnen faggot can kidnap Chani

34scell

Augur
Tusken raiders couldn't take over the universe in hand-to-hand combat

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
14. Water of Life

Father... father, the sleeper has awakened!

Paul Atreides, Dune film

Last time:
13_040_zpsdttvwcgp.png

13_101_zpsexafqnl2.png

13_102_zpsvnhxeydy.png

14_001_zpsjgxyeavj.png

14_002_zpschr0qnzi.png

14_003_zpsjrcjcpve.png

Power ballad time (except that in the song the male singer is the one who is chained, and only metaphorically)
14_004_zpsx5m7k7wx.png

Paul: Screw that, what about my motivation? [stop talking]
14_005_zpsspjfkje9.png

14_006_zps4jszvtkn.png

14_007_zps6uyygpjj.png

Paul: Pup? How appropriate! You fight like a bitch.

Since we don’t get to see too much of Feyd during the game, here are a few more of his facial expressions. Feyd and Shaddam IV have the most animated faces in the game.

First, some appropriate stalker music, courtesy of Feyd Sting.

14_008_zpshqs74dut.png

14_009_zpshzdskqge.png

14_010_zpslph4rjyr.png

14_011_zpsfiv1foug.png

14_012_zps7ostchbi.png

14_013_zps5ealm90x.png

14_014_zpsmflyh4xa.png

14_015_zpsbv10jmeg.png
14_016_zpsfiqjydqh.png

Paul: You already said that two weeks ago. Don’t you have anything new to say? [talk to me]
14_017_zps3qn7qbiw.png

Paul: I meant something useful. [talk to me]
14_018_zpsm33eu357.png

Paul: And you suspect this because… reasons? [talk to me]
14_019_zpstz8n2pvz.png

Paul: Oh, so we’re guessing now? OK, it’s my turn: my guess is that you’re just dicking around here instead of doing actual work. Here’s an idea: why don’t I use my Mentat Master of Assassins to try to locate her? Oh, wait, he can’t even conduct basic espionage to find out about Harkonnen attacks. [talk to me]
14_020_zpsrukbjqlh.png

Paul: That’s right, I forgot I have to do everything around here. Can’t you at least come and help me look for Chani? [come with me]
14_021_zpssrugz4ut.png

Paul: Right. Just make sure you don’t go blind from all that “analyzing” all the “elements” in your hand. :smug: Are you sure you understood “come with me” correctly? [come with me]
14_022_zpsaefhvk0h.png

Paul: Hey, they were your words, not mine. [stop talking]

Actually, I never saw this reaction until today since most characters repeat the same reply when refusing to join you, while Thufir alternates between these two.

The Duke also has two ways of declining to join Paul:
“No, I have to stay here!” (default reply)
“There’s no use for you to insist, Paul, I have to stay here.”

14_023_zpsubleznaj.png

Paul: Hopefully I won’t get the Fremen no-pattern male baldness. [stop talking]

I was able to capture a sabotage message this time:
14_024_zpsfzj8pmdb.png

14_025_zpsvh27raht.png

Paul: Not if you don’t watch your language!
14_026_zpsgfa8n06s.png

Paul: So what you’re saying is that you’re going to have your hands on your equipment all day long? :smug:

We send out a couple of spies from the recently conquered sietches in the Bledan region north of Ergsun.
14_027_zpsum1xoyjo.png

14_028_zpskyrzxsi3.png

Paul: I know the Harkonnen are twisted sadists, but were you honestly expecting armless soldiers?

:hmmm:

14_029_zpstayhqx29.png

14_030_zpsisj2l2pe.png

Paul: Dude, I get that you miss Chani and remember her from when she was a baby, can you get a little motivated before this attack?

Even though he’s the guy from the last update, I picked this Fremen leader randomly. They all have low morale now because Chani is gone and the vegetation has not started growing yet to compensate for that.

In order to give the Fremen a morale boost, we join the battle.
14_031_zpsb1gi7k2n.png

14_032_zps48eayfin.png

14_033_zpser3bbodi.png

14_034_zpst58i8tt6.png

14_035_zpsccfv9jma.png

14_036_zpsanyfjigl.png

Paul: Good job capturing the abandoned fortress. You want a medal for that?

14_037_zpswcnyetxx.png

14_038_zpsugshcen6.png

Paul: Since we’re winning so easily, do you mind leading this battle while I check out the other fortress? [stay here]
14_039_zps5li2wcot.png

14_040_zps2wjmfp6y.png

Paul: Stil, I’m sure Thufir would have a field day analyzing this Harkonnen erection. And by analyzing I mean what I meant in the conversation with Thufir earlier.

14_041_zpsjdv8wfdf.png

This Fremen looks just like one from the start of this update (the one I commented on having a normal-looking haircut back in update 8). If he would have been captured and we had just rescued him, he would have said "These Harkonnens... they caught us. We'll try to do our best in the future." as seen in update 11.

Fremen are hard-coded to specific sietches and the one we found in update 8 is in Habbanya region near the south pole, so he couldn’t have been captured by the Harkonnen before we got to him.

We go to pick up Gurney and move him to the newly-conquered fortress to continue training the Fremen.
14_042_zpsnz9e4yf3.png

14_043_zpsf7dtgtiq.png

Here are the current results. Since last time I showed the results of day 25, we’ve surpassed the Harkonnen in controlled areas and spice production. Our charisma has also increased from 45 to 52 and the number of men has increased from 23K to 40K.

14_044_zpslaq8ox9k.png

The Harkonnen still have two of our sietches north-east of the palace, though.

14_045_zps7znykmwz.png

14_046_zps3oburrgo.png

We buy another orni for a spice harvesting troop.

14_047_zpstqynjgun.png

This is how Paul looks with his eyes fully blue.

14_048_zps08mje3vj.png

Paul: Eww, gross. Good thing I didn’t drink it earlier. Let me see where you looked it up. [talk to me]

I deliberately withheld the definition of Water of Life from the Terminology of the Imperium:

WATER OF LIFE: an "illuminating" poison (see Reverend Mother). Specifically, that liquid exhalation of a sandworm (see Shai-hulud) produced at the moment of its death from drowning which is changed within the body of a Reverend Mother to become the narcotic used in the sietch tau orgy. An "awareness spectrum" narcotic.

14_049_zpszttbjgfb.png

The Fremen will worship me for drinking that disgusting bile? What is this, a reality show? Though, I’ve got to admit, the associated “tau orgy” piqued my interest. By the way, Chani and I are technically on a break, right? [stop talking]

The Water of Life scene is present in the book, film and video game, but in each case it occurs under different circumstances, with different characters present and a blackout length ranging from three hours to three weeks.

I forgot to mention that by riding a worm, it is possible to cross into Harkonnen territory without being automatically killed as when travelling by orni. When Paul arrives at a fortress, the screen flashes white and a new death message is displayed:

14_050_zpsuajetxlz.png

It is also possible to ride a worm to the Harkonnen palace. For some reason it looks like a regular fortress when approaching it by worm; see the minimap in the top-right hand corner. The death message is the same as above.

14_051_zps3stlt1k1.png

14_052_zpsb61zvsgg.png

We attack a fortress in the Tsympo region, near the Ergsun and Bledan regions.
14_053_zpsoazh8oeg.png

14_054_zps4mrkzcz8.png

14_055_zpsu0tak7v9.png

Paul: You know the drill, Duncan.
14_056_zpsgqfayohu.png

14_057_zpssdfkcanf.png

Paul: DUNCAAAAN!!!
:rage:

It seems I actually forgot to bring Duncan in the comm room after accepting to make the payment the previous day.

I forgot to visit Liet Kynes after sending some Fremen to help him with growing bulbs. He would have said:
Liet: “Fremen do help me to get these bulbs ready. Muad’Dib, the dream comes true!”

14_058_zpsnnlj0kpr.png

Paul: That’s dynamite. Listen, I hate to be the bearer of bad news and dampen your enthusiasm, but Chani’s been missing for the past week. And by missing I mean taken prisoner by Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen. And by taken prisoner I mean likely forced to join his harem or bordello. Say, do you happened to have any of that Water of Lifeless Sandworm laying around here?
14_059_zpsrptriqu3.png

Paul: Not really, but my mom made me. Shut up. [accept]
14_060_zpsmjy5qsjo.png

Paul: See you on the dark side of the moon.

14_061_zpsapvmobjd.png

Paul: Nie wiem, kim jesteś. Co się ze mną stało?
14_062_zpsqhaznxtd.png

Paul: Nudzę się. Chcę znaleźć pirata i kupić kontrabandy.

14_063_zps1fjelghb.png

14_064_zpsn0kdjadm.png

14_065_zpstrpak1ed.png

14_066_zpsmhahdllm.png

14_067_zps5omz4ybr.png

14_068_zpsolmyztpb.png

14_069_zpshgzeyiax.png

Paul: Czuję się bardzo silny.
14_070_zpszkphhuoo.png

14_071_zpsh5lrzhpw.png

Paul: Czy to oznacza, nieograniczone dane, bezpłatne SMS-ów i bez roamingu?

We can now communicate with Fremen across the entire planet, which will eliminate travelling to get into contact range. Funnily enough, after consuming the Water of Life, the player can’t actually do this until talking to Jessica.

14_072_zps7lxt58mx.png

Here are our current results.

14_073_zpsksco0rat.png

We continue scouting Harkonnen fortresses. There is also a liberated fremen troop we forgot to visit.

When sending a Fremen troop to do espionage, the troop will head to the nearest fortress whose territory shares a border with the troop’s current sietch. If we attempt to send another troop to do espionage before the first one reaches its target, we get this message:
14_074_zpsnsa77smk.png

We go to recruit the Fremen troop.
14_075_zpsqze6zuko.png

14_076_zps0kcdrzh1.png

14_077_zpsda9ozndu.png

Paul: Jak szybko można rozpocząć pracę dla mnie?

14_078_zps0vjo3alg.png

I sent too few Fremen to ensure a flawless victory, so Paul joins the battle to provide a morale boost.

14_079_zpstohom81g.png

14_080_zpspxrmucm5.png

14_081_zpsxmb9qu8f.png

14_082_zpso625alk8.png

Paul: Dziękuję.

After winning, we recruit another Fremen troop and go to fetch Gurney to the new sietch.
14_083_zpsgruggtju.png

14_084_zpsnk7mimc5.png

Here are six of the sietches we conquered.
14_085_zpsxebzb0uy.png

14_086_zps5s7uyt9u.png

I finally remember about the ecology side of the game. Ecology troops need to pick up a bulb from Dr. Kynes’ sietch, then plant them in a sietch that has a windtrap/catchbasin. If a sietch does not have a windtrap, we can make the ecology troop build one and it will slowly accumulate water over time.
14_087_zpsycuteuv8.png

Oh, Cryo :lol:

14_088_zpstetjvrez.png

This is the only Fremen chief I know that has brown hair. He also has a unique hairstyle/beard. I find it rather strange that Cryo reused at least three Fremen portraits when they could have easily added more variety by reusing this guy’s hair color/beard/male pattern baldness in other combinations.

14_089_zpsxjlfndqq.png

14_090_zpsftq9veac.png

He’s got a large troop so we assign him to the army.

14_091_zpsxyn6rxdj.png

We’re starting to reap the fruits of our the Fremen’s labor.
14_092_zpslzzexlw5.png

14_093_zps0k77q68e.png

We fly to take a look at the new vegetation.
14_094_zpsh1t3haxe.png

14_095_zpskodwbfpf.png

14_096_zpsgiifkgii.png

We have enough Fremen army troops to attack two fortresses at once.
14_097_zpsqbr8ld5f.png

14_098_zpse30o6zdh.png

14_099_zpsuxlaiyss.png

Both are easy victories.
14_100_zpstk0zxnww.png

14_101_zpsdqeya4vi.png

Fremen troops will refuse to go to the palace or smuggler villages. As opposed to smuggler villages, Fremen chiefs refuse to go to the palace even if they need an orni and the only nearby one is located there.
14_102_zpsic4x8ygq.png

14_103_zpsri5lt50s.png

14_104_zpsll3qitaj.png

14_105_zpstnpgeua5.png

14_106_zpspymsrpak.png

We’re fairly close to the Harkonnen palace now.
14_107_zpscqfqf8fr.png

14_108_zpscw6sopke.png

14_109_zps7dp59v2b.png

The Emperor’s demands keep increasing.
14_110_zpstlunkzoq.png

14_111_zpsfiuquin7.png

We identify our next target.
14_112_zps1uyjfumu.png

14_113_zpsfhlk2rxu.png

14_114_zpsjwimakh4.png

Your face and the sounds of battle triggered me! What happened, where am I? Why is it so dark? [talk to me]
14_115_zpsvn89zrzl.png

14_116_zpsiwk88tma.png

14_117_zpsqnjrk8ls.png

14_118_zpsyr92hrmm.png

This Fremen looks identical to the one from Carthag-Turk at the start of the game.
14_119_zpsofw0z7jm.png

Speaking of which, I was able to find three pairs of Fremen who look identical. There is also the guy who looks similar to the stillsuit maker, but I actually noticed a difference in the way their mouths were drawn, as mentioned earlier.
14_120_zpslns6lypa.png

14_121_zpsl5oeglvl.png

14_122_zpskus9qhts.png

14_123_zpsq4t5ljiu.png

14_124_zps1c0oyxdx.png

14_125_zpszruthjsc.png

Here’s some other random stuff:
Attempting to move a troop to a sietch that already has 7 troops.
14_126_zpsqybpybp8.png

Fremen comments on removing their harvester and orni, respectively.
14_127_zpsuj887own.png

14_128_zpskidxwdj3.png

This is an example of Fremen comments when they’re losing a battle. This was a spice-harvesting troop, so they couldn’t defend themselves.
14_129_zpsghqf9wlm.png

14_130_zpsy0vl5xpn.png

14_131_zpsocwwwz46.png

14_132_zpswiqaczra.png

14_133_zpsuv9r2vmd.png

After conquering a fortress, Fremen troops will work a couple of days converting it into sietch and they cannot be moved while doing so:
14_134_zpssy6oe9ty.png

14_135_zpsbmlfdxog.png

Here is a weird bug I found:
14_136_zpsrl6yw49j.png

Basically we tell Duncan to make a shipment, which he doesn’t, then receive a thank you note from the Emperor, who still wants the full amount by the end of the day.

This occurs when we keep Duncan as a companion and wait until the next spice shipment. Duncan will only accompany us when we accept to send a spice shipment to Shaddam IV and right after the shipment is complete (he leaves the party automatically when making the spice shipment in the comm room).

If we leave the palace afterward, Duncan will not join as a companion until the Emperor’s next request. If we try to leave the palace by either ornithopter or sandworm, he will automatically return to the palace.

I had Duncan join again after finishing the spice shipment and then waited in the desert for a few days, until the Emperor demanded the next shipment. I then talked to Duncan and accepted the shipment. Since we were already in the comm room, the spice shipment cutscene did not trigger, but we did get the above-mentioned confirmation message from the Emperor.

The spice quantity was not deducted from our stocks and the Emperor was still demanding the previous quantity, so this bug doesn’t affect the game. Even if it’s unintentional, it makes it look like the Emperor is sarcastically thanking Paul for not making the payment.

Finally, since I was talking about Duncan joining the party, here are his replies after being made to stay in the desert (he will disappear from the party and wait for Paul on the palace steps):
14_137_zps9oxdwnhl.png

14_138_zpsf5ynxx4s.png

14_139_zps3jycdwas.png

14_140_zpsh0uh5puj.png

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
So when will the Emperor inevitably stab us in the back?
Sorry to dissapoint, but he actually doesn't. As you've noticed, the single largest difference between the novel/film and the video game plots so far is the lack of the Sardaukar attack. This influenced the plot in many ways, such as the circumstances of Leto's death and there no longer being a need for Wellington Yueh or Piter De Vries.

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
15. Conquest of Dune

Mood's a thing for cattle and loveplay, not fighting!
Gurney Halleck

Last time:
14_062_zpsqhaznxtd.png

I forgot what I purchased in this transaction.
15_001_zpsc3neyzth.png

We send spies to two fortresses near Arrakeen.
15_002_zpselhmimlx.png

15_003_zpsshojktye.png

15_004_zps4efcih4o.png

Paul: You know, I’ve been buying stuff almost exclusively from the smuggler near the palace. I think he can afford to spare some free items every now and then. Think of it as a customer loyalty reward. [argue]
Duncan: Hmm… er… I understand that you have more important things to think about now…
Paul: I wonder if he can get me some kielbasa. I’ve been wanting some ever since drinking that worm piss or whatever it was. [talk to me]
Duncan: I hope he’ll wait…
Paul: Considering the way the balance of power is shifting on this planet, I’m sure he will. :smug: [stop talking]
15_005_zps96kjzora.png

Paul: Don’t you mean “Ya hya chouhada”?

15_006_zpsdayslvjf.png

We now control three times as much territory as the Harkonnen and produce more than thrice as much spice. The number of men looks balanced, but once we get seven expert military troops with the best weapons available, nothing can really stop us, since the max number of troops that can go to a sietch or attack a fortress is seven. That’s about 10K-14K men.

15_007_zpscliqur3m.png

We visit Arrakeen-Tuek.

15_008_zpsvarkyxct.png

I forgot about him in the last update, but this guy looks like the Fremen chief in Carthag-Tuek at the start of the game.

15_009_zpsg7vjkj3o.png

Paul: Jackpot! I wonder if I can sell some of these extra ornithopthers to the smugglers.

You’ll notice two new weapons next to the mouse cursor: weirding modules and atomics.
15_010_zpsgb9sgwz5.png

The game borrows the weirding modules from the movie, though that yellow bottle-shaped icon doesn’t resemble the maroon boxy pistols from David Lynch’s adaptation. The weirding modules represent one of the biggest differences between the film and the novel.

Weirding modules are sonic-based weapons introduced by the film. The Westwood Dune RTS games would feature sonic tanks for the Atreides as a nod to the film, while Emperor: Battle for Dune also included Fremen fedaykin (death commandos) armed with weirding modules.

While film did technically feature the weirding way of combat in a couple of scenes with Paul and Jessica and it did specifically mention that the weirding modules are only part of the weirding way of combat, it runs counter to the novel's description of the Bene Gesserit as reliant on only their skills and training.

Here is a weirding module in action:

As a neat bonus, Paul’s comment that his name has become a killing word becomes literally true in the movie, since Muad’Dib is used by the Fremen to trigger the wierding modules, whereas in the novel the Fremen simply used it as a battle cry.

Weirding is a term used by Fremen to describe strange or arcane things, and is usually associated with the Bene Gesserit sisterhood. From the Terminology of the Imperium:
“WEIRDING: idiomatic: that which partakes of the mystical or of witchcraft.”

The term “weirding” is only used in the first novel. Fremen usually use the term “weirding way” to refer to Bene Gesserit prana-bindu training (nerve and muscle control). Fremen also refer to the hidden greenhouse as the “weirding room”. As a small aside, Stilgar’s summation of the greenhouse as a waste of water in the previous update is in line with how the Fremen viewed it in the novel (the film omitted it).

David Lynch stated that he didn’t want kung fu on sand and that’s why he used weirding modules instead. I understand his reasons for doing so, since they both basically serve the same purpose in the plot as a means of empowering the Fremen. The whole point of the wierding way is to train one’s body to accomplish seemingly superhuman feats of agility and strength, so it would be understandably difficult to accomplish this with regular actors. Even so, on film it would probably look like wuxia combat.

However, this approach clashes with the rules of Herbert’s universe, since warfare had mostly reverted to close quarters combat due to the existence of the shields, as well as the fact that one of the series’ overarching themes was humanity’s increased abilities due to genetics and intense training (nature and nurture).

15_011_zpsx6l5fc2b.png

Atomic warfare is prohibited by the Great Convention: Use of atomics against humans shall be cause for planetary obliteration. Nevertheless, great houses still maintain an arsenal of family atomics as a means of nuclear deterrence:

“The advent of the Field Process shield and the lasgun with their explosive interaction, deadly to attacker and attacked, placed the current determinatives, on weapons technology. We need not go into the special role of atomics. The fact that any Family in the Empire could so deploy its atomics as to destroy the planetary bases of fifty or more other Families causes some nervousness, true. But all of us possess precautionary plans for devastating retaliation. Guild and Landsraad contain the keys which hold this force in check.” (excerpt from Dune Messiah)

Thus, technically, the Fremen can’t even use the atomics against the Harkonnen, so they shouldn’t increase their fighting ability. By this point, the player is steamrolling the Harkonnens and atomics cannot be purchased, only captured from fortresses, so they probably don’t make much of a difference in combat.

Also, I’m not sure how the game handles Fremen troop strength when a troop has weirding modules, but no crysknives or lasguns. One interesting detail is that when you tell an army troop to search for equipment in nearby sietches, they will only looks for the next weapon tier (ex. if they have crysknives and there are weirding modules or atomics nearby but no lasguns, they will complain there are no weapons in the vicinity). The player can still manually give them weapons out of sequence, though.

15_012_zpso69fx98w.png

15_013_zpsq5vtbsaj.png

Paul: I’m a tough guy period. [stop talking]

15_014_zpsen6taff5.png

I probably bought weirding modules during this transaction and the previous one (for which I did end up paying the smuggler after all), since I’m pretty sure I didn’t need any more ornithopters at this point (especially since I found new ones in conquered fortresses).

We attack the fortress to the south of Arrakeen-Tuek.
15_015_zpsgssjhn7s.png

15_016_zpss36wlbsh.png

15_017_zps6tnsnnrn.png

15_018_zpshhhckksn.png

Paul: I see you’re still sore about the last shipment being late.

15_019_zpsm0zxc1qq.png

Money has stopped being a real concern a long time ago.

15_020_zpsmpgbufcq.png

Paul: Dudes, I was thinking what my mom said a few weeks ago. Have you ever experienced deep desert penetration? I mean, penetration in the deep desert? ...that doesn’t sound any better, does it?
15_021_zpsr5h7unuq.png

15_022_zpspzxndejq.png

Paul: Chill out, bro. You’re like messing with my aura. You should lay back and do some sun gazing. [stay here]
15_023_zpshalu2apr.png

Paul: Busted. [stop talking]
15_024_zpsi5eojzq5.png

Paul: Wusses. At least Duncan is a bad enough dude to stay in the desert and outrun a sandworm back to the palace. [stop talking]

The vegetation is starting to spread to the north.
15_025_zpscqxzpr6z.png

15_026_zpssurfzp5z.png

Here is the vegetation viewed from atop a sandworm.
15_027_zpsoyzwmjb7.png

15_028_zps4frnalam.png

We head back north to the conquered fortress near Arrakeen.

Paul: What up, homes? Got any info you’d like to share? Think of it as an investment in your life expectancy and the quality thereof. [talk to me]
15_029_zpsyvm7euos.png

Paul: Right. You’re facing the Kwisatz Haderach, his fighting instructor, and a Fremen who got to the top of the food chain by killing everybody who stood in his way or challenged him. You've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk? [talk to me]
15_030_zpsqirl9bbm.png

Paul: Stilgar? [overpower the prisoner]
15_031_zpskaituuvq.png

Paul: :facepalm:
15_032_zpslvoz4fna.png

Paul: You, D’Artagnan. Hog-tie this swine. [overpower the prisoner]
15_033_zpsyxr8nuzv.png

Paul: I’m glad that you and your two thousand men were enough to tie a single Harkonnen captain. You may now have your way with him. Goodbye. What was that? You said something? [stop talking]
15_034_zps4awny433.png

Paul: Pardon my manners. Are you more disposed to parleying now? [talk to me]
15_035_zpsexs7wzh5.png

Paul: I’m all ears. [talk to me]
15_036_zpshuudsll6.png

Paul: Arrakeen-Timin. Heh, that rhymes. [talk to me]
15_037_zpsnpz4asa2.png

Paul: Well, I guess I’ll have to send ONE TROOPS to deal with it. [talk to me]
15_038_zpsxiijjv93.png

Paul: You do see the ten thousand heavily armed and well trained Fremen who handed you your ass, right? Come with me and I’ll introduce you if you haven’t met them yet. [come with me]
15_039_zpsjmhpure3.png

Our current results:
15_040_zps4wspztqx.png

15_041_zpszbag45tb.png

Paul: I’m not sure where that it, but good job!

It’s near the Ergsun region. Our main attack was to the north-east to approach the palace, and this fortress was northwest.
15_042_zpsh0brbyt4.png

Another fortress conquered.
15_043_zpstfcwuchu.png

Paul: Be careful where you point that sword, skull-head. You could get pretty badly injured if you’re not careful. [talk to me]
15_044_zpsyegxoi2i.png

Paul: Snappy comeback, dumbass. Gurney, restrain the prisoner. At least you won’t need help from a Fremen battalion. [overpower the prisoner]
15_045_zpsnx1tsdo8.png

Paul: This is the part where you sing like a canary, Harkonnen scum. [talk to me]
15_046_zpszljyj1gp.png

Paul: Fascinating.
:hmmm:

15_047_zpsz1maermt.png

Based on the 1540 price, I’d have to say that the past two smuggler transactions I’ve shown were for weirding modules and I simply forgot to take screenshots when weirding modules first became available for purchase or first encountered in a Harkonnen fortress.

15_048_zpsp5g9fvo8.png

Paul: Do you happen to have a twin brother who lived in Stilgar’s sietch? [rally me]

More results. Notice the blue area to the north of the palace has decreased, since keeping a sietch occupied expands the controlled area up to a limit.

The funny thing is that if I were to fly an ornithopther through that Harkonnen territory, they would still shoot it down, even if they don’t have fortresses or troops left in that area. Another interesting thing is that the Harkonnen don’t shoot us down if the flight trajectory passes through Harkonnen territory and we skip to destination.
15_049_zpspll4wdjv.png

Attacking another fortress.
15_050_zpshwgpr5bl.png

We now continue our attack northwest of the Ergsun region.
15_051_zps0a1xw7r1.png

15_052_zps9giqso6k.png

15_053_zpsu1gnssz7.png

The worm’s travel route is crooked because I was manually steering it using the arrows in the bottom right corner.

15_054_zpsaurotwpl.png

15_055_zpsun02epns.png

15_056_zpss2mmeeqb.png

15_057_zpstlgm70bp.png

With Chani captured, the maximum motivation is capped at 60%.
15_058_zpscusdvwm2.png

15_059_zpspiknaqn8.png

Another Fremen “twin” I forgot about in the last update.

15_060_zpsqxnggs1o.png

Found some more atomics.
15_061_zpswxqegau9.png

15_062_zpsfkkebvjp.png

Some more results.
15_063_zpsh3lg4e8u.png

Our spice production has dropped considerably, mostly because I forgot to move the harvesters to areas richer in spice, like in this case:
15_064_zpsimkkviyb.png

15_065_zpsolybsejb.png

That’s a lot of thopters!
15_066_zpso8l7aiwj.png

15_067_zps8aufqety.png

I forgot to use the equipment in this sietch, even though I found it weeks ago.

This is the other half of Dune I generally don’t display. There are fewer sietches and Fremen in this area.
15_068_zpsuawispus.png

A view of the south pole and southern hemisphere.
15_069_zpsumrbguqa.png

A view of the north pole and northern hemisphere.
15_070_zpssbchooje.png

15_071_zpszfmmn444.png

Paul: I’m sending you all these tons of spice and you can’t afford a decent haircut?
15_072_zpstyfeozkt.png

15_073_zpsku5ntijn.png

Stilgar is missing since he had to make room for Duncan.

15_074_zpsqbjqfdax.png

I’m finally attacking Carthag-Tabr to take it back from the Harkonnen.

15_075_zpspkhwmkw9.png

Paul: Them’s fighting words, pal. [talk to me]
15_076_zpsslmnyfrr.png

Paul: I'll get that sword at the very least. Do you still steal steel, Stil? [stop talking]
15_077_zpszfkjqsap.png

Paul: Dude, you look so heavy metal. Hey, you remember the Harkonnen captain, don’t you? [overpower the prisoner]
15_078_zpsurioq4eu.png

For some reason, I found most the Harkonnen captains during the endgame, where they don’t have any information to provide.

15_079_zpso0rr3x5x.png

Paul: In retrospect, I probably shouldn’t have let spice mining troops work in border sietches once the attacks started. [give orders to troop]
15_080_zpsjttsztti.png

Paul: Talk to the head of my human resources department, Thufir Hawaht. (Or was it Duncan Idaho?) [give orders to troop]

15_081_zpse5hqvwek.png

Paul: It’s better than pounding sand.

15_082_zpsqulqxljw.png

I haven’t shown the Standard view of the globe in a long time, because it didn’t change from the start of the game. However, now that we’ve started working on ecology projects, you can see vegetation in three distinct clusters.

The vegetation will slowly spread to the north and when it reaches a Harkonnen fortress, it will destroy the spice and the Harkonnen will abandon the territory. Plants cannot grow in rocky terrain, but they will continue growing on the other side.

We got rid of one of those blue spots in our territory.
15_083_zpsi5d021lb.png

15_084_zpshnnquc4i.png

As you may have noticed in the past few screenshots, this fortress is located just north of an area with vegetation. Here is alternate way of capturing the fortress using ecology, where I simply waited for eight more days.
15_085_zpsnbglbazr.png

15_086_zpsfgnu1rki.png

15_087_zpsc7pvcl4p.png

Paul: Interesting how they left a harvester, ornithopter and two Fremen troops behind.
15_088_zps0latr9ts.png

Harkonnen fortress and vegetation.
15_089_zpswd0ynp2y.png

Still life with harvester, ornithopter, fortress and vegetation.

The problem is that the Harkonnen troops defending the fortress have simply relocated to another fortress, so we’ll still have to deal with them later.

We now attack Tuono-Harg, the other sietch the Harkonnen have conquered.
15_090_zps08pfkuxk.png

15_091_zpszfijuye8.png

15_092_zpsb2wkaeqt.png

15_093_zpszqw0oolg.png

15_094_zpsd8xkmyv7.png

15_095_zpsme8nogqi.png

Paul: :yeah:
15_096_zpsx9kbhlfb.png

Paul: :fuuyeah:

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Kinda funny that Chani is in some random fort.

You'd think Feyd-Rautha would've put her in his Arrakeen harem.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
16. The Battle of Arrakeen

You heard my father speak of desert power. There it is. The surface of this planet is ours. No storm nor creature nor condition can stop us.
Paul Atreides

Last time: we conquered many Harkonnen fortresses and finally found Chani.
We are still at Tuono-Harg, where we found Chani. I read that Chani is usually found in one of the sietches that the Harkonnen conquer northeast of the Atreides palace. I’m not sure where she will be transported if the Harkonnen don’t manage to capture any sietches.

I’ve read that you need expert level troops armed with weirding modules in order to rescue Chani.
16_001_zpsfxkwlvml.png

Paul: Good. Now back to mining spice. [give orders to troop]
16_002_zpsi9h24dcq.png

Paul: What.
:what:
That is literally the absolute worst haircut I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen my share of terrible haircuts on this planet.
16_003_zpshynrzguu.png

16_004_zpsq06qia2i.png

There were extra weapons in the fortress, so I had the troop assigned to military training. It was hardly necessary at this point, but I can’t stand having idle troops.
16_005_zpsapj82llm.png

We press our advance toward Arrakeen.
16_006_zpse9mrxlnv.png

Paul: Eh? I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but my official duty around here is kicking ass and taking names. [stop talking]
16_007_zps1481zyqj.png

Paul: Gee, don’t sound so enthusiastic. [stop talking]
16_008_zpso5mt5nue.png

16_009_zpsvblzcylx.png

Paul: Good job. Here, have one of these weird modulators.
16_010_zpswkz3fc5k.png

Results
16_011_zpsg5iicp9m.png

Paul: Can I say how disturbing I find it that you people fight harder if you know I’m banging your planetologist’s daughter? [stop talking]
16_012_zps4mbm3mn7.png

Results. The number of men is the same as three days ago, but the area Harkonnen controlled area has decreased from 6% to 5%, while ours has increased from 37% to 38% and our spice production has increased from 4K to 5K.
16_013_zpsdjanabcw.png

16_014_zpsxmhustzy.png

Just to show that not every battle is a flawless victory, here is the naib I recruited from Stilgar’s sietch back in update 9. His troop size has decreased from 2350 to 1570. Also, with Chani back and vegetation projects underway, motivation has increased to 100%.
16_015_zpsa0sntlfz.png

16_016_zps5psooyga.png

This troop was just recruited, so their motivation is not as high.
In case you’re wondering why be bother conquering all these fortresses rather than heading for Arrakeen, it’s because the game doesn’t let the player do that:
16_017_zpsetxd2hk3.png

16_018_zpspa0ydgnc.png

16_019_zpscearumcc.png

I’m not sure what caused this huge production spike, but I probably moved expert spice miners in areas with higher spice densities.
16_020_zpshidlqred.png

We try to get Liet Kynes to accompany us, to no avail.
16_021_zps3yenqydf.png

Paul: No, why would I think that? [stop talking]
16_022_zpsyjum400q.png

Paul: You’re a real greedy bastard, ain’t ya?
16_023_zpssxsiavl2.png

Paul: Chump change.
16_024_zpsvafffv0h.png

Saving the game.

16_025_zpsg0en0ola.png

Here’s a version with sunburnt Paul. It really makes him look older.

16_026_zps90gebj22.png

Paul: Uh, that happened like a month ago. [stop talking]

Thufir’s delayed reaction is actually my fault. I was so used to his standard replies (“View the message before anything else.”; “The Emperor only seems to be interested in getting spice. But, Hmm… I wonder if he’s hiding something…”; “Nothing new”) that I ignored him for over a month.
16_027_zpsyvqagr9c.png

16_028_zpsspgbsgqo.png

Found a new sietch northwest of the palace. The large grey area west of the palace is mostly rocky terrain.
16_029_zpsjiqk01a3.png

Even though this troop only has 960 men initially, they start off with some military experience, so I use them for espionage for two reasons: the initial experience makes it less likely for the troop to be captured and even if they are captured, at least it isn’t a 2000 man troop.
16_030_zpsozkvwwep.png

16_031_zpsvjawcam0.png

16_032_zpsoe9izeel.png

The vegetation is spreading slowly, but surely.
16_033_zpsyudiyvyw.png

16_034_zpso7rainxx.png

All Harkonnen fortresses are under our control now.
16_035_zpsezcjpdhz.png

Paul: Chani’s back. Thanks for noticing. [stop talking]
16_036_zps79k1chhs.png

Paul: What do you mean almost?! We have 67 thousand men versus the Harkonnens’ measly one hundred.
16_037_zpsmsfk8ffu.png

Our troops are packing some serious firepower.
16_038_zps1ay0mpq1.png

Paul: Yes, you were there when Thufir said that in the comm room.
16_039_zpstmn4vz8m.png

Paul: How do you know they don’t have any hidden fortresses? Otherwise, this means you know all sietches and fortresses on Dune and you’ve been holding out on me all this time. Well, which is it?
16_040_zpsrr4056vn.png

Paul: Changing the subject, are we?
16_041_zps2krh1w0i.png

Paul: If I were a master of assassins like Thufir, I’d be real suspicious of that…
16_042_zpspvibmqvb.png

Paul: I am disappoint.
16_043_zpss2z9ygvy.png

16_044_zpsealx52nk.png

Only three sietches are acceptable as close enough to the palace: Arrakeen-Tuek, Arrakeen-Tabr, Arrakeen-Timin. Arrakeen-Tuek you can see highlighted above, Arrakeen-Tabr is the one immediately south of Arrakeen-Tuek and Arrakeen-Timin is the one south of the Arrakeen palace. Haga-Tysmyn is directly east of the palace and borders it, but it’s considered too far away.

We’ll go to Arrakeen-Timin.
16_045_zpsjgkirrql.png

Paul: There’s been a change of transportation plans, Thufir. :smug:
16_046_zpsnptpgl90.png

Paul: I’d say a palace with a high-tech communications room is better, but at least it got you out of the palace.
16_047_zpskyuhrfiq.png

Paul: I actually have another suggestion.
16_048_zpszlmeut71.png

Paul: In order to become a Fremen, you must learn to respect the desert. Now stay here and meditate. [stay here]
16_049_zpscffz9e8z.png

Paul: Say what?
16_050_zpsdnyu2yg7.png

Both Thufir and Chani teleport to the sietch entrance if we tell them to stay in the desert, but they don’t make any special comments like Duncan.
16_051_zpsz54ornjo.png

Paul: Hmm… First, let me check the schedule to make sure no tau orgy is scheduled in the next few days… [talk to me]
16_052_zpshfd9qvpp.png

Paul: I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough.
:troll:

Fremen won’t allow us to access reservoirs if Stilgar is not with him, even though our charisma is already 100, the maximum value.

16_053_zpsi6csn8fg.png

If a sietch already has seven troops, additional troops will refuse to go there.

16_054_zpsbpb4l8ez.png

Fremen can’t mine spice after vegetation has reached a sietch.

16_055_zps43uirwx9.png

16_056_zps4posmiwu.png

This is rather embarrassing: I was comparing notes with a walkthrough and found out the prospectors will accept an ornithopter to travel faster.

16_057_zpspt635fcm.png

Paul: You and everybody else. Do you want front row seats to the final beatdown? [come with me]

16_058_zpsbzcf9wmi.png

Liet finally agrees to join Paul, but he doesn’t have any special comments.

16_059_zpsvzft163t.png

Vegetation near Kynes’ sietch.

16_060_zpswmdff6ri.png

Paul: Since day 1, you mean. Anyway, come with me to see the fireworks show. [come with me]

I left Kynes at Arrakeen-Timin, but it makes no difference since he doesn’t have anything else to say.

16_061_zpsgoof1x57.png

16_062_zpsv0lswiwu.png

Paul: That’s an unusual number, considering he’s been demanding spice every five to seven days so far. Anyway, Duncan, you’re a Swordmaster of the Ginaz and House Atreides Warmaster… technically. Do you want to join the final attack on the Harkonnen? [come with me]

Actually, no more spice shipments are required. The 255 is simply the maximum value of the two-byte shipment day counter.
16_063_zps66ooq1tz.png

Paul: What work? We literally have a hundred tons of spice and no shipment to worry about. Do you have any final words of advice for the big battle? [talk to me]
16_064_zpswumxrgxs.png

16_065_zpste81wizm.jpg

Here is a graph of the kilograms of spice required each day. The blue line is a line of best fit computed using linear regression.

Here are the days on which shipments were due and the corresponding amounts of spice in kilograms. Both the values will vary on each play through.

Code:
 5   1000
11   2630
16   4450
21   5020
26   6260
32   8100
38   9920
46   11540
51   12840
56   14500
61   14750
67   15510

16_066_zps8fsq8gdz.png

Paul: Hey, mom, check this out.

Cutscene:
16_067_zpsjji2fqbn.png

Paul: Here we are, born to be kings.
We’re the princes of the universe.
Here we belong, fighting to survive,
In a world with the darkest powers.

16_068_zpsdu2eifkj.png

Paul: You never explained why, though… Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed taking you and mom on a sandworm ride.
16_069_zps3lz9bz27.png

16_070_zpsva0rosxj.png

Paul: I approve of your choice of the word “annihilate”.
16_071_zpsjakauss0.png

Paul: I’m not sure “proud” is the right word… after just talking about annihilation.
16_072_zps6uqycggs.png

Paul: Fortunately, I accept spice as legal tender. :smug:
16_073_zpsipomblmc.png

Paul: Good old Gurney, always ready with a fitting platitude – I mean aphorism.
16_074_zpsf7hdnmwk.png

Paul: Er, that’s good news, isn’t it? As opposed to them being back on their homeworld, Geidi Prime?
16_075_zps6nsfztel.png

Paul: …I should hope so.
16_076_zpsfpj0bix4.png

Paul: OMGFORESHADOWING!
End of cutscene.

At least the devs gave lines in the cutscene to every character they made you haul here.

16_077_zpszlfwf1nu.png

Paul: Shield? Doesn’t that attract worms? That place must be crawling with sandworms. He he. Crawling, get it? [talk to me]
16_078_zpsfg2nezbg.png

Paul: I don’t think you understand the concept of shields: the rule is “the slow blade penetrates the shield”, not the “nuclear devastation penetrates the shield“. Also, I’m pretty sure we won’t need atomics to deal with 100 men when we have 10,000. Maybe I should remove the Fremen’s lasguns so they won’t cause an atomic explosion due to the Holtzmann effect…

The use of atomics in the battle of Arrakeen is true to the novel:
“The language of the Great Convention is clear enough: 'Use of atomics against humans shall be cause for planetary obliteration.' We're going to blast the Shield Wall, not humans."

The Shield Wall was actually a cliff that protects Arrakeen from the desert sands. However, since the game doesn’t have cliffs, only rocky areas, Cryo replaced the shield wall with a house shield, which is a technology mentioned in the novel.

Also, the likely reason for why the Atreides are based out of Carthag and the Harkonnen out of Arrakeen is so that the final battle takes place at Arrakeen, like in the novel. Since the Sardaukar attack was removed, the Atreides never lose their initial base of operations.

16_079_zpsifi7judy.png

Chani, Thufir, Gurney, Jessica, Stilgar, Kynes and some Fremen.

Selecting “argue” or “refuse” will simply result in Stilgar saying: “As you want, Muad’Dib”.

16_080_zpshbvolthp.png

Paul: Eh, I don’t know. I think you, Gurney and I could have handled it. [stop talking]

16_081_zps77nznnt9.png

Paul: Hear that Stilgar? Thufir grants you permission to attack. [stop talking]

16_082_zpsmkzm0wdh.png

Our forces are assembled.

16_083_zpsppbkide9.png

Sometime I’ll have to try expanding the vegetation all the way to Arrakeen.
16_084_zpsusvqjxer.png

16_085_zpsl9h01ovb.png

Paul: Ya hya chouhada! [accept]
16_086_zpsr11hoxuu.png

16_087_zpscgqh3aka.png

Every character, except Jessica will say the say the same thing. Jessica will keep saying “I think you have the situation under control.”

16_088_zpsjjvg0x3i.png

The final attack in progress.
16_089_zpsgzeosel4.png

16_090_zpszld0p08p.png

Every character, except Jessica will say the say the same thing. Jessica will keep saying “I think you have the situation under control.”

16_091_zpsafcyfkzm.png

All Harkonnen fortresses look like this when travelling by worm or ornithopter. The actual design changes when sitting in front and during battle.

16_092_zpsydjjg4mg.png

If we try to bring other characters and make them stay here, most will say “Oh no, Paul! I don’t like this place” and refuse to leave the party. Gurney’s a badass, so he has no problem.

Cutscene:
The Water track is playing in the background.
16_093_zpsh8f1teg1.png

Paul: Oh what a surprise.
16_094_zpskslelock.png

Paul: Looks like we’re late to the party. Wait, how did Duncan get here?
16_095_zpsnozzpxjw.png

Paul: You and whose army?
16_096_zpsxhj4btox.png

Paul: You told him, Duncan.
16_097_zpsa5fsh7do.png

Paul: And he would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren’t for this meddling Kwisatz Haderach.
16_098_zpsr0vrwaaj.png

Paul: You know you look even uglier in real life?
16_099_zpssyb0r1i6.png

Paul: Fremen, Thufir. The plural is Fremen, too. :facepalm:
16_100_zpszolbx4da.png

16_101_zpsdsddmqar.png

Paul: You probably meant “have” instead of “has”, Stil.
16_102_zpschy1dakx.png

Paul: Punks?
16_103_zpstx5gy6uk.png

Paul: Yeah, I’m sure this chosen one deal won’t backfire in some ginormous way.
16_104_zpsnyezw2el.png

Paul: Hey, Baron, it looks like you need to have your heir cut. Also:
16_105_zpslviqbs2e.jpg

16_106_zpsitkq0zdm.png

16_107_zpsk5gxnk7r.png

Paul: I believe this the part where I’m supposed to say: OH SNAP, SON.
16_108_zpsagsucy3r.png

The prison planet being Salusa Secundus, the place where the Emperor trains his Sardaukar troops.
16_109_zpsrcmfjp4z.png

Jessica delivers the final line of the game, just as she does in the novel (but not the film). The difference between the two lines is telling and highlights the change in tone of the Cryo adaptation as compared to the original:
“While we, Chani, we who carry the name of concubine - history will call us wives.”

The film features the infamous ending where Paul causes rainfall by force of will, ignoring its lethal effect on worms and spice production. This is the single largest difference between the film and the novel. Whereas the film presents the narrative as a classic hero’s journey, the novel serves as a cautionary tale of the consequences of a civilization entrusting its fate in the hands of a single person, especially one with extraordinary abilities:
“Pardot Kynes said:
No more terrible disaster could befall your people than for them to fall into the hands of a Hero.
“Frank Herbert” said:
I have my quibbles about the film, of course. Paul was a man playing god, not a god who could make it rain.
“Wikipedia page for Dune said:
Author Frank Herbert said in 1979, "The bottom line of the Dune trilogy is: beware of heroes. Much better [to] rely on your own judgment, and your own mistakes." He wrote in 1985, "Dune was aimed at this whole idea of the infallible leader because my view of history says that mistakes made by a leader (or made in a leader's name) are amplified by the numbers who follow without question."

For those of you who haven’t read the book, but don’t care about spoilers, here is a final twist:
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen is Lady Jessica’s father, so he’s actually Paul’s grandfather. Thus, Duke Leto’s archenemy was his father in law. None of these characters know this until Paul finds out and tells Jessica. Also, since Feyd is the Baron’s brother’s son, Paul and Feyd are first cousins once removed, while Jessica and Feyd are first cousins.

16_110_zpsg5thfmz4.png

16_111_zpsydolgarx.png

16_112_zpskqwon6so.png

16_113_zpsersxd8ih.png

16_114_zpsesbklug0.png

The Atreides crest. Although in the novels it is often described as being red and usually found on the breast pocket (see the uniforms of Leto, Gurney, Duncan), it’s always described as a hawk crest, not just a hawk’s head.

Nevertheless, I prefer the stylized Atredies crest from Cryo’s Dune to the blue hawk’s head used by Westwood in Dune 2, Dune 2000 and Emperor: Battle for Dune. It just looks like something more realistic on a uniform.

16_115_zpsfl4paud3.gif

Dune 2
16_116_zpsokspun6d.jpg

Dune 2000
16_117_zpsqc6dxhco.jpg

Emperor: Battle for Dune
The track from the game introduction, Wormsuit, plays during the credits.

Every character is depicted with a background associated with the character in the game.
The characters are shown in order of appearance:
16_118_zps4ejcj91i.png

16_119_zpscobprtcy.png

16_120_zpsefummnrv.png

16_121_zps0ggpok4x.png

16_122_zpsobnevgyd.png

16_123_zpsewlwrtez.png

16_124_zpsaxma2vl0.png

16_125_zps35gxryp2.png

16_126_zpsorv4m2jm.png

16_127_zpsnv0q1amu.png

16_128_zpsbs7tgo1m.png

16_129_zpsmvuaetxa.png

16_130_zpsvrjv0kq2.png

16_131_zpsaqpspwyd.png

Paul and Liet are the only characters shown outside. The color of the sky depends on the time of day when the player finishes the game.
16_132_zpsigl0ui90.png

16_133_zps5kx5oq2o.png

16_134_zpsdx990mso.png

16_135_zpsjfwreksy.png

16_136_zpsr34k0cnj.png

16_137_zpsmwgy0deh.png

16_138_zps9cefw9xi.png

16_139_zpsbjkeollw.png

The Skies Palettes have their own credit.
16_140_zpsp8dgxchb.png

Stéphane Picq, the game’s main composer, is also interestingly credited as “Sietch decorator”.
16_141_zpsxqzcs69b.png

16_142_zpshzyi3zpx.png

16_143_zpstqc1uiyj.png

16_144_zpsykiuiece.png

16_145_zpsbufis4ks.png

16_146_zpsy8tk0nzf.png

I’m not sure if Cryo really planned to make a sequel to this game, or whether this is an allusion to Westwood’s Dune 2.

On one hand, Dune 2 was a game in a different genre, made by a different developer (albeit working for the same publisher), so the Dune 2 is not a sequel to Cryo’s Dune per se. On the other hand, only the first novel really lends itself to this kind of open conflict (even so, most of the Fremen battles against the Harkonnen take place during a two year time skip), as Frank Herbert’s other Dune novels focus more on intrigue.

I mentioned in update 3 that Cryo Interactive and Westwood Studios were racing to complete Dune at the same time, since Virgin Interactive commissioned Dune games from both developers. In this light, with both developers being aware of each other’s project, the screen could have been a sly jab towards Westwood, with Cryo bragging they were able to finish first.

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
17. Bonus Update

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife--chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now, it's complete because it's ended here.”
from "Collected Sayings of, Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

Remember that book icon I mentioned back in update 5 and then promptly ignored? Well, here’s the complete contents of the “journal”. Each page is tied to a plot event, so the player might unlock pages somewhat out of order.
17_001_zpsveqffaul.png

17_002_zpstnix9wfz.png

17_003_zpspn19nyfa.png

17_004_zpsas8zbwga.png

17_005_zps0zpul2dy.png

17_006_zpsoba3p3vz.png

Thought you’d seen the last of this quote, did you?
17_007_zpsvgwrkor2.png

17_008_zpsv9mz0nj0.png

17_009_zps7ijpwvjj.png

The only reference I could find to mock-spice is in the Dune miniseries. It may be a reference to the explosive pre-spice mass.
17_010_zps6z8fd2gf.png

17_011_zpszr1orhmq.png

17_012_zpsrmqdero6.png

17_013_zps8plijwqe.png

17_014_zpsnucssi28.png

17_015_zpskt1n3lrg.png

There’s a minor error here: Mentats’ lips are stained by Sapho, which allegedly improves mental powers. Semuta is a drug paired with and eerie, atonal music and causes mental dullness.
17_016_zpsan7saw0m.png

This is the only place where the game clarifies that Feyd-Rautha is the Baron’s nephew (and heir as well).
17_017_zps8hdkia4o.png

The ornithopters are rather small and while they are used in spotting approaching worms, the harvesters are actually lifted off by carryalls.

For example, in the novel it took nine thopters to evacuate a harvester crew of twenty-six.
17_018_zpscdkpfgtg.png

17_019_zpsocj0ntz9.png

17_020_zpsgnovkc0y.png

17_021_zpsfl0y2qtk.png

17_022_zpsnzg7daqq.png

17_023_zps3uwcxu0h.png

17_024_zpscst4phfq.png

17_025_zps0noktfg4.png
There are six smuggler villages to be found. They all use the same graphic when viewed from afar, but each has a distinct architecture from up close, even though certain elements are recycled.

17_026_zpsceijpnff.png

Oxtyn-Pyons
17_027_zpsyejiahnb.png

This the smuggler I usually trade with the most, since he’s so close to the palace.
17_028_zpswlsinlr7.png

Tuono-Pyons
17_029_zpsfmjmlpeq.png

17_030_zpszkgsdwca.png

Tsympo-Pyons
17_031_zpsxuqoyzsg.png

17_032_zpszqwdewej.png

Sihaya-Pyons
17_033_zpsvlbfkksy.png

17_034_zpsaonhdxrc.png

Haga-Pyons
17_035_zpskb6qqcd4.png

17_036_zpsmyuvqyb6.png

Arrakeen-Pyons
17_037_zpsgbzv5f6a.png

Villages seen from the desert during different times of day:
17_038_zpsmukb4ji7.png

17_039_zpsysjjfm4j.png

17_040_zpsujrqppkh.png

17_041_zps0f7e9etl.png

This is a screenshot from the non-interactive Dune demo that plays during the introduction. Back in update 5, I wrote: “the village at 1:13 is never seen in-game (that I know of; there may be one or two villages I never found)”.

I did know all the six villages; the structure in the background is a mirror image of the one included in Tsympo-Pyons. Part of the building are also visible in Tuono-Pyons.

And now, something special.
17_042_zpsmwmjtjra.png

We tell Stilgar to launch the final attack.
17_043_zpsszk79bnw.png

17_044_zpszpq76kwb.png

Even though Arrakeen-Tuek in the northwest looks closer to Arrakeen, Arrakeen-Timin is the only sietch close enough to allow us to join the battle before it’s over.

This is a very short battle, so we immediately select “massive attack”.
17_045_zpsnskspfxv.png

We didn’t get a victory message this time from the Fremen.
17_046_zpsfdgvprhl.png

17_047_zps9cqr6rin.png

17_048_zps9wd0tsep.png

17_049_zpsj0q9sjhs.png

We wait for a couple of days.
17_050_zps2arktgau.png

17_051_zpsipljwaak.png

Where did the palace go?
17_052_zpsvzu539sm.png

:smug:
17_053_zpsbxa7z4n5.png

17_054_zpsaoiqaonr.png

17_055_zpsygsgmznt.png

17_056_zps0ieov9dt.png

Paul: (using the Voice) You shut your whore mouth when the Kwisatz Haderach is talking!
17_057_zpsw5iytpej.png

17_058_zpsiv8qqdta.png

17_059_zps6meuiqfg.png

17_060_zpsy8t642kx.png

Shaddam IV does not have that zoom-in effect.
17_061_zpsr3eufuyi.png

Paul: Military Training, eh? I’m sure Gurney and Thufir would like to give you a hand with that.
17_062_zpscpnk9jbw.png

17_063_zpse35blnyr.png

17_064_zpsce36azbm.png

17_065_zpspxto08ls.png

17_066_zpswkz8ivvl.png

17_067_zpsjkgiuqrw.png

Unfortunately, nobody acknowledges we’ve actually captured Arrakeen and they all act like the final attack is yet to happen.

This bit of sequence breaking is known as the Neverending Game and the name is self-descriptive: we have no way of finishing the game and we can just wander around. However, we could have still done that once Thufir said he want to plan final attack, so the only actual difference is getting to talk to the three villains.

http://dune2k.com/Duniverse/Games/Dune/NeverendingGame
If you follow this sequence of events, you can keep playing after you destroy the Harkonnen palace. To do this, you first must plan the final attack in Arrakeen-Timin, the seitch closest to the palace. Once you are ready to launch the attack, talk to Stilgar. It will pop up with the menu.

Wait for the moon or sun to move once, (meaning the next hour has begun) and immediately launch the attack. You have to quickly leave the seitch and ride a worm to the palace.

If you have done this correctly, you will appear at the palace during the battle. Do not fool around. Immediately press the MASSIVE ATTACK button. Not the FIGHT FOR A DAY, or anything else. Only MASSIVE ATTACK will work. When you do this, the battle ends, and you have no vision.

Instead of going into the palace, go back a screen. Wait for two days to pass, and the Harkonnen Palace will actually be changed into a sietch!

Inside, you will find the Baron, Fyed Rautha, and the Emperor. You can actually talk to them too.

Another Hint- You CAN keep playing after this, except for the fact that there is no one to fight, no emperor to give spice to, and no way to find new sietches. But you CAN get Liet Kynes to go walking around with you.

-Brian Davis”

From the Dune Wiki:
Avoiding the automated end game sequence
There is a way to avoid the automated end game sequence and keep on playing forever as the (supposedly - see below) Emperor of the Galaxy (without being able to leave Dune though). To accomplish this, as soon as Paul orders his troops to launch the final battle, he must quickly ride a worm into the battle before it could be won without him. If timed correctly and the battle is still in progress, Paul must quickly choose Massive Attack (it must be this fighting mode). The battle is then won without Paul getting a vision.

Paul must then avoid entering the taken over palace and instead go back a screen and wait for two days to pass - the standard time it takes for a taken over Harkonnen fortress to be turned into a sietch.

Paul can then enter the palace turned sietch at any time and talk to his new prisoners - The Baron, Feyd Rautha and the Emperor of The Galaxy.

From then on, the player can keep playing. There will be no one to fight with, no need to send spice to the Emperor (which, supposedly - as there was no official sequence that determined that, is now Paul) and no new sietches to discover. At last, Paul can finally get Liet Kynes to walk around with him.

This may not work when using DOSBox emulator and the CD version of the game but there have been documented sightings of this working even in that configuration.

This second entry contains some mistakes/omissions:
- it does not mention that the player must plan the final attack in Arrakeen-Timin
- it incorrectly states that “Paul can finally get Liet Kynes to walk around with him” since Liet can join the player ever since Thufir mentions that we are ready for the final attack (as previous screenshots have shown)
- there could technically be other sietches to discover that the player has not found yet
- I was able to achieve the Neverending Game in the DOS version using DOSBox, so chalk up another documented sighting

Also, both guides mention that you should ride a worm. However, this is the only time that the player can travel to a battle in an ornithopter. You will still see the warning message, but you will be able land safely.

I’m not sure whether the Neverending Game is intentional or a bug. On one hand, it seems unusual that the developers would cause the palace to be transformed into a sietch when they could have hardcoded an exception. On the other hand, no character comments on having won the battle of Arrakeen and the game does have a couple similar sequence-breaking bugs. Even the responses from the Emperor, Baron and Feyd seem generic.

17_068_zpsenh3zedb.png

17_069_zpsdf27hbpa.png

17_070_zpsa8gifek8.png

For some reason, Liet reverts to talking about needing Fremen to grow bulbs while on the palace balcony, but only in this room.

Here is a map of all the discovered sietches: four screenshots for the northern hemisphere and four for the southern.
17_071_zpsfwxihclh.png

17_072_zpsnuizhlmi.png

17_073_zpsuiki1bsh.png

17_074_zps8wclca5h.png

17_075_zps6pksme68.png

17_076_zpst8dkwh0f.png

17_077_zpst2ftkabn.png

17_078_zpsf0te0oiq.png

17_079_zpsyaqilksc.png

Here I decided to spread my troops around during the Neverending Game so that I could maximize the controlled area.
17_080_zpsgqxkqrld.png

17_081_zpsyhb2yjww.png

17_082_zpskj6lm8zv.png

View from the north pole.
17_083_zpsflmfyjfi.png

View from the south pole.
17_084_zpsmtvo3qrn.png

While taking screenshots for this LP, I discovered another game feature: by clicking on the words “Spice Density” on the Spice Density map, the troops occupations are shown on the map instead.

Just like on the Dune Map, yellow means spice specialization, red means military and green means ecology. If more than one troop type is present at a sietch, you will see a combination of two or three colors, like in the northeast corner.
17_085_zpsfno7i0qr.png

17_086_zpskqzyjoxh.png

17_087_zpsb8dpicn7.png

17_088_zpsviaaemca.png

This troop is mining in the south, one of areas richest in spice.
17_089_zps2kah4xln.png

17_090_zpsyw1qiorl.png

The interesting thing is that unlike other areas, Habbanya-Harg never seems to completely run out of spice and the harvesting rate stops at 1 kg/hour.
17_091_zpspvt27jst.png

17_092_zpsrokamikp.png

17_093_zpsyrenv4yv.png

17_094_zps56filukv.png

Greenery around the palace.
17_095_zpsqwpp1s1s.png

17_096_zps3moocdzv.png

The blue cursor points to our current location, where the area of influence is smaller than the others.
17_097_zpsqkkqjnte.png

Fast-forward a couple of weeks and 62% seems to be the maximum area we can control. Also, our spice production has become negligible as the spice mining troops exhausted the spice.
17_098_zps3rskqe0c.png

17_099_zps9z7e00xo.png

Since there’s no more spice and no use for military, I’ve made many troops switch over to ecology.

A couple of unusual screenshots of Jessica and Liet in an orni and on a sandworm.
17_100_zpsjpnx6cnd.png

17_101_zpsqpq3zylg.png

17_102_zpsvemdhdts.png

For some time, I’ve noticed a grey area on the map that is not on rocky terrain, southeast of the palace.
17_103_zps5kaqaxu3.png

17_104_zpshw1uvvts.png

17_105_zpsjjrnqox2.png

Paul: Huh, I wonder why none of the Fremen told me of this place.
17_106_zps5tcixmlr.png

17_107_zpsj3chuw0i.png

17_108_zpsjr9g06z5.png

Paul: I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

I used hex editing to enable Celimyn-Tuek, a sietch that the developers forgot to enable.
In the beginning, most sietches are not discoverable even if you travel directly over them. As the game progresses, they become enabled, so that the player can discover them either by finding out the direction from Fremen in adjacent sietches or by travelling nearby (by accident or educated guess). However, Celimyn-Tuek is never marked as visible during the course of the game.
17_109_zpssfnmqfpw.png

The Fremen is actually from Tsympo-Harg and I chose him because he is from a relatively hard to find sietch and his eyes look unusual compared to the other Fremen with his face type.

Also, I couldn’t very well finish a Dune LP without including what is probably the most famous quote of the series.

Finally, some group shots:
Most characters will refuse to stay in in front of a fortress, the Arrakeen palace, or smuggler village, saying “Oh no, Paul! I don’t like this place”, but not Gurney or Liet:
17_110_zpszenicbrj.png

17_111_zps1yvqkyut.png

Liet’s botanical station.
17_112_zpsvrtvtq9h.png

Visiting Harah.
17_113_zpsqgmehkpf.png

17_114_zpsbqwpg4w4.png

17_115_zpssyzrbpln.png

17_116_zpsc4ppp00d.png

17_117_zpso4mgr6r8.png

I edited Leto in these last two images, but they are achievable in game. Due to a bug, Leto will forget to attack the Harkonnens (it involves not reading the Baron’s message about devastating a sietch and waiting for the next spice demand). Other characters will comment that he left and died, but he will actually keep sitting around the throne room for the rest of the game.

Luka-boy

Arcane
clapvvqz9.gif

Thanks for the LP. Very informative. Thanks to it I'll take the plunge and finally buy a copy of Dune the next time I visit my usual bookstore.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Superb LP, I'm sorry I wasn't around to comment more often. Great job :salute:

Loved your Jacurutu joke, I actually fell for it at first :lol:

the novel serves as a cautionary tale of the consequences of a civilization entrusting its fate in the hands of a single person, even one with extraordinary abilities
Actually, according to Herbert, the novel's main point is that not to entrust its fate to a single person, especially one with extraordinary abilities. The Herbert quotes you used up there illustrate this, as well as another Herbert quote that I love and have used in the past, and which Herbert once used to summarize the entire Dune cycle: "Superheroes are dangerous." The thinking is even present in-universe: this knowledge is what drives much of the Bene Gesserit's reactions and fear about the ghola and Teg in the last two books.

That open ending is funny, I never realized you could do this. I wonder if Cryo had initially planned for the game to continue after you convert the palace to a sietch and this is the leftover and incomplete code, or if it's just a "normal" bug.

The game completely ignores the lasgun/shield interaction, which is a major point in the novel (and even in the movie). The liberal use of atomics is what I found most jarring though - you can distribute them to your troops and have them use them against the regular fortresses, something that would've instantly brought the Emperor, the Sardaukar and the entire Landsraad in the novel. The only reason they don't incinerate Arrakis in the novel, even for Paul using them against a terrain feature, is that it is the only source of Melange, and the Guild would never allow their precious drug to be destroyed.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Actually, according to Herbert, the novel's main point is that not to entrust its fate to a single person, especially one with extraordinary abilities.
That was spot on; I've made the correction.

The game completely ignores the lasgun/shield interaction, which is a major point in the novel (and even in the movie).
I think it stands as testament to the Westwood devs' respect for the Duniverse that Emperor: Battle for Dune didn't ignore the lasgun/shield interaction, causing both units to be destroyed (even though the novels state that the explosion could be more powerful than atomics; that would have been way too imbalanced). The most common example was Elite Sardaukar attacking shielded Ordos units, such as the laser tank (!), APC and deviator.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Now that the LP is complete, I'd like to hear the final verdict straight from the horse's mouth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom