Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's play Disciples of Steel

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
And thing is that you can drop body of future quest's mob (thus making quest impossible to finish?)
I think yes. Do not worry, though, number of these quests receding after first part of game. BTW, Jax in the forest
north of Farnus is one of such monsters.
2. Why use Reveal? since you can "S"earch in combat. Other illusionist spells are used? Like beguile or astral protector or confusion etc. But still not bad class, power word stun saved several combats.
PWS indeed good spell when you fighting vampires and other powerful creatures on mid-levels. But soon it's become redundant.
And reveal is one of the spells that Illusionist can cast instead of slacking like always. :M

Also do you remember where is "chest" on "shore" for lord of teal (aka pirate king) quest?
Let me check my notes... Aha! DeMata coast - 118,170
I am currently in graverobbers hideout, thinking that "Sirius" for women-king of demata is there, am i right?
First quest? Forest to the north-east, coordinates are 104,165. Afair, indeed it's graverobber's hideout.

kofeur

Liturgist
A new ruler

Our work done here, it's time to go to another city. Why not check out Demata? According to the manual, it's the only country lead by a woman.

SGkot.jpg

And indeed the Lord of Demata is a Lady!

Sse6o.jpg

Again according to the manual, she is known to be a clever ruler who uses her charms very effectively... Do we have a romantic interest? Who said that Romance didn't exist in old games? Any way, let's find out what the first mission is.

EpdIx.jpg

W4ujb.jpg

Let's take a look on that forest... An abandoned temple? Could they be hiding in here? I did take a quick look and can say that this is related to a future quest. Unfortunately, you can't complete a quest without being asked to do it first. I'll visit this place fully in due time. Let's continue searching.

0D8zN.jpg

This forest is indeed full of hidden stuff!

TzDG8.jpg

And indeed we're at the right place, take a look at the bottom left of the screen

1FxKL.jpg

A series of caverns, that is an ideal place for a band of thieves

71jvW.jpg

A new enemy

sgByR.jpg

iIk8L.jpg

Confident but not feeling superior

JQGDC.jpg

He died in one hit...

TdxEF.jpg

...his friend too

smxnB.jpg

They have some nice equipment

dlrMa.jpg

No need to use shoddy quarrels anymore I guess

px8Ah.jpg

Guards...

sbaqS.jpg

Another room, another fight

frQnz.jpg

XkNgN.jpg

A sense of deja vu...

vpdB3.jpg

This room was empty...

xwK8Q.jpg

As is this one...

kRyAp.jpg

Again, another sense of deja vu

XL4vf.jpg

H5Gv4.jpg

So far this game has been pretty good at giving different descriptions for the set encounters, but here it's pretty repetitive. These caves are pretty simplistic to navigate. I guess it's some kind of starter dungeon.

A Centaur!

XiPjc.jpg

Damn I didn't take in the portrait... sorry!

ZbUaf.jpg

Another room, another monster to kill

fCVI4.jpg

iE1sb.jpg

As I said earlier, the dungeon is very simple, I found no secret rooms, but after exploring it for some time, I found Serius!

ouywZ.jpg

He doesn't look impressive...

QQsSJ.jpg

...and indeed, it was a quick fight

gS2rb.jpg

hmm... the door is locked behind...

vYd5u.jpg

Didn't find any key... Let's go back and see if I got the right man

y0fq6.jpg

She is happy, good! Next quest?

P2PRT.jpg

2k0Or.jpg

Ok so that's the locked door we were talking about then.

And indeed that was the right key

6N6vh.jpg

TSZf9.jpg

Funnily enough, I found out that if the perception of my pointman is not high enough, he doesn't find the treasure. You have to select the pointman when you enter the dungeon, and it should the disciple with the highest perception.

Well back to the princess lady... That's good marketing!

g1Yyh.jpg

So what's next quest?

ePmpq.jpg

Ok. let's go take a look

QMAEw.jpg

That should be the place, let's go report it

FQwTS.jpg

Ok, so next we go to the tomb?

txROu.jpg

10hHd.jpg

Uh... not really... But on the plus side she started flirting with us... is she realising that my disciples are sexy or is it something else? Guess we'll find out later

Let's raise some skills with the experience points earned,,, hmmm?

JmJOD.jpg

SVh3a.jpg

His skill is not really at its maximum as we might be let to believe. In this game the maximum skill is determined by the stat that governs the skill. In this case, my monk has 95 in accuracy (the maximum for humans). But we can raise stats by using experience points... Let's see what happens.

HbT5l.jpg

hmmm... the minimum required to access the raise stat menu is 1000XP but the minimum to raise accuracy is 2000XP?! Well, here's how it goes. The potential maximum for each race is set in stone. What you roll in the beginning is the disciple's current stats. The potential stats never change. Now the interesting part is that if the potential is higher than your current stat than it costs only 1000XP to raise that stat. But if you already reached your racial potential, then it costs 2000XP to exceed your racial limit... the first time. I need to test that to see how it goes beyond that.

kofeur

Liturgist
Glad to see this thread is more active! :)

Let me check my notes... Aha! DeMata coast - 118,170
I am currently in graverobbers hideout, thinking that "Sirius" for women-king of demata is there, am i right?
First quest? Forest to the north-east, coordinates are 104,165. Afair, indeed it's graverobber's hideout.

Check the latest update, the grave robber site is for a later mission. It was full of vampires and other higher level monsters. I found the a +50 demata shield in there, so I guess it will be the item to retrieve later. Didn't document that part because I went through the dungeon quickly to check if I was in the right dungeon.

Aye Aye sir, hoping to get the next update tomorrow!

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
+50 demata shield?
In room with Wind giant+trolls+assasin&cutthroats i found +25 damata shield.

Also there is chance that you need body of a) wind giant or b) mage, though both unlikely.

kofeur

Liturgist
+50 demata shield?

Also there is chance that you need body of a) wind giant or b) mage, though both unlikely.

Yeah in this room. Seems like the stats are not fixed... unless it was a +25 shield? I'll tell you when I go back to do this dungeon. I didn't save my game when I found out I was in the wrong dungeon. I just went back to a save before entering it.

I try to avoid as much as possible doing dungeons before getting the right quest for them

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Check the latest update, the grave robber site is for a later mission.
Oh, my bad. Coordinates should be right, though.

Whisper said:
+50 demata shield?

Holy shit! You just found item for 8th DeMata's quest. Yup, you don't beed any bodies.

kofeur

Liturgist
Dealing with the pirates

Ok then, let's go back to teal and talk to pirate ruler

dOdVu.jpg

2VYVi.jpg

Ok, no mention of a sword so I guess I need to go up the quest line until I get something about the sword. I guess this is how the game works so let's see when that sword turns up.

On the way we meet a new monster

2RC7l.jpg

And this might be the cave we're looking for

Mm6gQ.jpg

And indeed, look at the location in the lower screen

wbqDe.jpg

Yep, the setting sounds right

jhpTQ.jpg

I like the descriptions

lE0Ou.jpg

And the first door I open contains...

LaLB9.jpg

zkwnc.jpg

And she doesn't even feel superior

xPGbk.jpg

And there is a a reason for that

6lonp.jpg

Let's get her remains

0yHM6.jpg

In the corner of the room we find something

T8zz7.jpg

And it's a key, didn't get the picture

And looking around we find the door it's supposed to unlock

T8zz7.jpg

Which contains treasure

M8Kvv.jpg

This polished shield which is the best shield I found so far

CdUUt.jpg

Going around we find someone who didn't get killed by the medusa

9Wvfc.jpg

Other victims

nSkNI.jpg
This was a big cave with a few rooms, too simple.

Let's go back to our ruler

MnPHj.jpg

Next mission?

6GAi8.jpg

E58KU.jpg

Ah Ah could that treasure he buried be the sword? Let's look for it

y2T0y.jpg

Found it!

hUXBU.jpg

Let's take it back

ES7Dq.jpg

bClZd.jpg

So it wasn't that... next mission

7ZGU8.jpg

KEMe5.jpg

We have animal romance!! They were light years ahead of recent games

Ok Sesserna is the whole island

YeFQi.jpg

And at the edge of the forest...

Fj0nk.jpg

2GiUZ.jpg

And indeed the parrot get on really well

H5wwy.jpg

Ok moving on...

pHNFB.jpg

oE6iE.jpg

Here's the sword we're talking about, might as well get it back to it's rightful owner. But first let's check its stats

WhvoW.jpg

Nice!!

gmHjb.jpg

eHOZH.jpg

y29aY.jpg

It has a lower damage factor than the backstabbing dagger but is much more accurate and in this game, this is really important, but we need to give it back...

Let's see if the more you do missions, the attitude of the rulers change towards you...

NlIVR.jpg

It was the proper sword

qLymQ.jpg

Let's check the next mission

HOQPz.jpg

5rSye.jpg

Now if I come back to visit her, I get this message

i01Fm.jpg

So yeah the attitude of the rulers changes after a certain number of missions

Any way let's report back to the other king

bMtWi.jpg

He's happy...

Let's check the next mission

jJknf.jpg

eDnFV.jpg

Oh this mission sounds fun! Busting the thieves guild! I guess I will do that one and finish the Teal quest line before getting back to Demata. Let's make the lady wait :smug:

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Some comments:

1) I am not sure how to get Sword for Damata is you do Teal first, or even if you do Teal quests up to destroying thief guild - seems this makes quest impossible.

If this is true, is there any other "order of quests" aka "you need do first city quests before second city quests or you cant finish first city quest".

2) Both Farnus ask to return Thyra's cross and Damata. Since both cities ask for same item (unless there are 2 holiest artefacts or cities dont take it from you) how it is possible to do quest-lines for both cities?
3) I got "Blue amulet" and "Receipt for Warig", in caves north of dwarfen city Hollengard, i didnt break quest since i got them before i got quest?

MMXI

Arcane
Finally caught back up. Excellent updates. It looks like the developers failed to check over the written texts as they are riddled with errors. And that parrot quest, what the fuck?

More!

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Some comments:
1) I am not sure how to get Sword for Damata is you do Teal first, or even if you do Teal quests up to destroying thief guild - seems this makes quest impossible.
Err. 6th quest for Teal - return sword to Demata. 4th quest for Demata - find sword.

2) Both Farnus ask to return Thyra's cross and Damata. Since both cities ask for same item (unless there are 2 holiest artefacts or cities dont take it from you) how it is possible to do quest-lines for both cities?
One of cities (or both) return Cross to you

Do not kill Death Knight at 140,176 yet.
Do not kill lich in Demata dungeon yet
Do not kill Senthor at 29,183 yet
Cartha quest calls for the body of scorpion.
Last Hollengard quest if for somebody named Eyetok, can't remember who is it.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
1. He dont give you sword if you dont start Damata quests first and go up to 4th (and then start Teal). I.e. if you do Teal before Damata, you cant do Damata quest with sword.
2. Usual giant scorpion?

About Blue amulet and receipt for Warig, you know?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
1. He dont give you sword if you dont start Damata quests first and go up to 4th (and then start Teal). I.e. if you do Teal before Damata, you cant do Damata quest with sword.
Strange... I remember quests are very intertwined, but you can finish them all. Except second quest for Rathadon, maybe. Man in the volcano.
Whisper said:
2. Usual giant scorpion?
Dunno. This issue omitted in my notes.
Whisper said:
About Blue amulet and receipt for Warig, you know?
I fuzzily remember, blue amulet raises some stat and receipt for Warig is useless.

kofeur

Liturgist

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Yes. After getting female bird you are asked to clear thief guild. This happens if are not on step 4 of damata quests (to get sword) at that time.

Also, in one of walkthru since i was asked to get rid of that sword, i just dropped it and quest was finished (this also made quest for Damata impossible) leading to next ones for Teal. So its so easy to screw up story line by dropping body or some item.

Though possibly (possibly?) you can finish game without doing quests, i still want to see them all.

p.s. I am also going to experiment with magic system soon. There is more to spell levels it seems. Level 2 ice-storm hits outlaw for 100 dmg and 15 dmg to assassin, level 6 ice storm hits outlaw for 150 dmg and assasin for 150 dmg. Also lvl 1-6 it is 2 tiles in any direction, level 8 its 3 tiles. Mana costs are also non-linear it seems, i.e. possible two lvl 4 casts take less then one lvl 8 cast.

Also appreciate figuring "concetration" fails in casting. Its item weight? Wounds? Broken limbs? Having enemies near? Spell level being high?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Yes. After getting female bird you are asked to clear thief guild. This happens if are not on step 4 of damata quests (to get sword) at that time.
Oh shit. The more you know...
Whisper said:
Though possibly (possibly?)
Yes. There are two ways to finish game
a) Kill Variz (sp?) in the bugged (but not unfinishable, it's just too many missing outer walls) volcano dungeon.
b) Some quest lines end with proclamation of your party as a rulers. After what, you gain army. Maybe you can gain army after conquering one of the cities too, can't remember. Your goal is the capturing of all Rathadon's cities, or so mondblut said, never tried it myself.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Anyone knows where to buy potions with +stats to them?
Only found beguile pots (+charisma) on elf island.

Need +intuition pots badly, but i find mostly +int or +wisdom.

Also, i got warning in-game about time limit. At year 1035 i am told i have one year left, at start of 1036 enemy big bad will attack (not sure if this means instant game over or if its false alert).

kofeur

Liturgist
Thieves & Knights

Ok time to kill some thieves and recover some more backstabbing daggers!

I had already found the entrance by chance earlier

tNWej.jpg

And we are in the right place

sFo9Q.jpg

Classical setting

yE580.jpg

ApfmU.jpg

And this is our first fight

jx75q.jpg

OcSGK.jpg

And that is what I'm looking for

i0Byh.jpg

Oh a secret door...

3r4uR.jpg

... and another one leading down

B9aEq.jpg

The main barracks

QphrU.jpg

There was nobody in...

But in a room close to this one we find...

mwVlB.jpg

Fnm3Y.jpg

... a hill giant. They're the weakest of the giants quite easy to kill.

Ok we finished the first floor

QsUxw.jpg

So it's time to go down

5PyqB.jpg

And we're confronted with 3 directions

TYhFY.jpg

So left... (taking into reference my entrance point, so that would actually be east)

XynTK.jpg

It was the usual mix of outlaws and assassins, didnt take the picture

The door to the west is the door I entered in, but I did find a secret room

tMZB5.jpg

which contains

CtB3y.jpg

k68Sw.jpg

Nice!! Need to raise my pick lock skill to see if I can open some doors

Ok back to the fork, and now right (or west this time)

Same description and same enemy group

CzkuJ.jpg

No secret door in there, let's go forward

ta4bo.jpg

interesting

GpewJ.jpg

ok...

PPRcR.jpg

So this used to be a temple before

6UkvJ.jpg

ovlfa.jpg

Finally found the boss!

qoSEZ.jpg

That was quite a tough battle because there were quite a few assassins and these are really tough enemies. But casting multiple stuns in a row with my illusionist saved the day. Yes like the warriors, the higher your magic skills the more spells you can cast during your turn, that makes low level spells like power word stun extremely useful.

lm1JW.jpg

And in that big room we find treasure

NTWnM.jpg

6Q8EF.jpg

Let's go check that locked door

JoHUe.jpg

vT8db.jpg

Oh this looks exciting!!

DmvOM.jpg

Huh...

scifI.jpg

What a letdown!! Assassins are way more powerful than this creature

Ok back to the palace

ClG0u.jpg

Next mission?

rQOib.jpg

jw5kc.jpg

Cool we go hunting for the death knight!

And here he is in all his glory!

ugt0a.jpg

He turned out to be too powerful for my monk. I remembered being able to stun him and finish him. But this time I had to stun him with the illusionist before being able to properly stun him with my monk. When an opponent is stunned, his defense lower a bit and it makes a difference. And more importantly I can aim before attacking him if necessary.

jIRs3.jpg

He wasn't rich...

1M0lm.jpg

But he owned very nice equipment!

InnAI.jpg

Now here's the thing, I noticed that his equipment is not always the same if I reload the game. Sometimes his sword is +25 and sometimes it's +20. The bonuses change on all his other possessions. Funnily enough every time he would have the +25 sword he would surprise me and kill my illusionist before I could do anything. When he didn't surprise me and he would appear as an encounter, he would have the +20 sword. And in one of these battles I did, I managed to kill him with my monk only and noticed that his helmet was +15 on that occasion which is the lowest I've seen it at. I always aim for the head, as it's not harder to hit than the other body parts. So I decided to go train up a bit my monk because I wanted the +25 sword as it's probably the best sword in the game.

And here's is our monk training hard

2yiMS.jpg

6BIJD.jpg

Back from training I got this

lha9Y.jpg

WOcmr.jpg

mMrlz.jpg

Seems like there is a deadline to my adventure, I wonder if I caused it by going to Barelk... Anyway, better hurry with the missions

And after that I did kill the right death knight I was aiming for

8JIzm.jpg

I gave it to my knight making him my scariest character!

iqugA.jpg

705 base hit! So much higher than anything else I have... no wonder the death knight could hit my monk so easily! Seems like I really need to train my armor skill up to properly use this new armor!

And indeed

ifzra.jpg

Next mission?

EgtFB.jpg

W55W9.jpg

Seems easy enough

4OJPn.jpg

Let's see

V6Lij.jpg

Next mission?

4ZCWO.jpg

1cfOi.jpg

And so it ends, I am now a ruler!

6jCtV.jpg

kofeur

Liturgist
p.s. I am also going to experiment with magic system soon. There is more to spell levels it seems. Level 2 ice-storm hits outlaw for 100 dmg and 15 dmg to assassin, level 6 ice storm hits outlaw for 150 dmg and assasin for 150 dmg. Also lvl 1-6 it is 2 tiles in any direction, level 8 its 3 tiles. Mana costs are also non-linear it seems, i.e. possible two lvl 4 casts take less then one lvl 8 cast.

Also appreciate figuring "concetration" fails in casting. Its item weight? Wounds? Broken limbs? Having enemies near? Spell level being high?

There is a skill called resistance, and it's basically magical resistance. The outlaw has no resistance skill, the assassin must have a high resistance skill. a level 6 ice storm is probably needed to bypass the assassin's resistance.

As far as concentration goes, I think that moving before casting a spell makes it harder to cast but I'm not sure.

Do you know if it's possible to heal injured limbs or bruised ribs with the priest? Can't find a spell that deals with it

Anyone knows where to buy potions with +stats to them?
Only found beguile pots (+charisma) on elf island.

Need +intuition pots badly, but i find mostly +int or +wisdom.

Also, i got warning in-game about time limit. At year 1035 i am told i have one year left, at start of 1036 enemy big bad will attack (not sure if this means instant game over or if its false alert).

The beguile pots are for sale? Haven't really spent much time in the elf Island yet.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Beguile pots are unlimited, but +charisma is lest needed stat. I need +intuition pots greatly thx for mistake at start*

About "deadline", i got at start of year 1035. Kinda worried, since i have time to finish game, but i want explore some dungeons. Anyone knows what happens when deadline happens? And when exactly?

You cant mend broken limbs. And i am not sure what for "Splint" spell is. It is supposed to mend broken bones. Need some testing, but it didnt help to mend limbs for my party.

* making your (and mine, i followed your party setup) illusionist - gnome was bad idea, gnomes have low Intuition, aka low amount of spells. Each + Intuition is +spell in list. And its very hard to get 2000 exp for each spell with illusionist.

p.s. How do you manualy target enemy areas (head, body, etc) ?

kofeur

Liturgist
About "deadline", i got at start of year 1035. Kinda worried, since i have time to finish game, but i want explore some dungeons. Anyone knows what happens when deadline happens? And when exactly?

This I don't know, I also want to do all the dungeons

You cant mend broken limbs. And i am not sure what for "Splint" spell is. It is supposed to mend broken bones. Need some testing, but it didnt help to mend limbs for my party.

You have 2 conditions, injured with a number next to it and broken.

splint will mend broken bones, but it doesn't healed injured limbs and bruised ribs. I seem to remember that there was a way to do that but I can't find it

* making your (and mine, i followed your party setup) illusionist - gnome was bad idea, gnomes have low Intuition, aka low amount of spells. Each + Intuition is +spell in list. And its very hard to get 2000 exp for each spell with illusionist.

My illusionist is a female elf not a gnome. Females have a bonus to intuition and elves have the highest value. My priest is the gnome.
It takes a 1000XP to raise statistics until you reach your racial limit, but after your racial limit you have to add 1000XP for every experience. So to get my monk to 96 accuracy I used up 2000XP, and then to get him to 97 I had to use 3000XP, etc...

p.s. How do you manualy target enemy areas (head, body, etc) ?

During combat right click, then choose 'more options' and then 'location'

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom