Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play Diablo III Beta - COMPLETED!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Let's Play Diablo III Beta - COMPLETED!

DiabloIIIlogo.jpg

Welcome ladies and gentlemans to my first LP!

We shall mouseclick our way into the depths of hell and try to show as much as possible of the game and it's new features. Blizzard's hype machine is a little slow on this one nowadays, so I shall give glorious Codexia some taste of the game and hopefully a new thread that is not about Skyrim. Since the beta is short (~1 hour), this should be short. Since I'm stuck in town on duty this week, this should be fast. Please excuse any weird stuff or bad LARPING, since this is my first attempt at the art of LP. Anyway, let's begin and thanks Crooked Bee for the inspiration & brotips! :salute:

TABLE OF CONTENTS
1 - Menu & Characters
2 - New Tristam & Girls Diaries
3 - Death on the Road
4 - My mom’s a Witch (And dad may be Diablo!
5 - Back to 1996
6 - My Zombie Wife and Me
7 - Chicken Spirits
8 - Douche Templar
9 - The Skeleton King

BONUS UPDATE: Patch 10

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Let’s play Diablo III Beta - Menus and Characters

I apologize for the menu-heavy intro that's to follow, but I know that there are Diablo fans here, and as one myself I like showing everything that's new.

Menus:

2vdhc3t.jpg

First thing is the WoW Diablo title screen, and major decline that is having to log into my Battle.net account to play a single player game. The music is trying to be majestic, but is really bland. Not a good start.

RwCqE.jpg

And here is my Lv 9 Barbarian with his majestic Skyrim helmet. Sadly, he will not be appearing on this LP. Behind him is my 'player banner', that shows up on multiplayer. I can customize it, but most of the customization itens are unlocked with achievments, that are disabled on the beta. So I have to keep the Wacken Open Air skull. Now let's explore the menu options.

I7jAj.jpg

Fisrt, the little hammer on the botom right, that opens the Auction House! Once again I fell like I started WoW by accident. Some good stuff on sale, including a Lv 2 Rare Glove! Itens in Diablo III can be trade between characters and players easily, and there is no "soulbond" bullshit like in Wow, so you can buy a good low level item and use it to level up on all your characters.

Another interesting thing to notice is that you can buy gold! Blizzard finaly solved the issue of chinese farmers selling gold in WoW buy selling it themselves! As some of you may know, you will be able to pay real world money for KKK Blizzard money, to buy itens on the action house. Theoricaly you can also sell itens for Blizzard money and them exchange it for dollars, but how that work is not shown yet...

sm9z3.jpg

Them, achievments (the little shield at the bottom right)! They are not available in this Beta build, but we can appreciate it anyway. 480 achievments and a showcase for you display your l33t gaming skillz to the n00bs. Blizzard knows it's audience.

qjmAI.jpg

The last bottom right icon is the friends menu, but I don't have any, with leads to this weird Deckard Cain pic. You also have a 'Recent' sub-menu, where you can keep track of all the nice players 14-years old assholes that joined you in battle.

Ueed3.jpg

On your left side now, "Change Quest" allows you to choose what quest to play. Once you beat the quests, you can repeat them as much as you want, farming your way to awesomeness. The Beta only has 4 major quests, and we will start at the first one.

Q6qaH.jpg

Privacy options lets you change your multiplayer options. "Invite Only" and "Open to Friends" is pretty much self-explanatory. On "Public" you will most certanly always play with a full party of 4 all the time, even on beta I enter the game and 3 dudes materialize besides me. Monsters get stronger as people join in, but still is pretty easy to solo all the monsters even with a full party, and bosses dies in 2 seconds. People on multiplayer are jerks that just steamroll through the game to farm bosses, so we will play on Invite Only.

The "Public Games" menu is for joining others game, is nothing special so let's stop with menu screenshots.

EzVqW.jpg

One last menu, for the graphic whores. I'm playing with everything on High, but since this is a beta is likely not final. Blizzard game usually have a ULTRA setting, so it's most likely graphics will improve on final release.

Characters

Let's now create our glorious character that will follow us throught this LP. I'm not gonna post all 10 class & sex combinations, as that would bore any non-fan away, and we are delaying the killing long enough.

WUnk5.jpg

We already know the male barbarian, so here is the tranny barbarian, certanly a codex favorite. If you liked playing with a barbarian in D2, you will love this one. Most signature moves like bash, cleave, jump and whirlwind are back, and the physics engine makes it really fun to Bash an zombie and see his head flying across the screen.

Barbarian uses Fury as "mana", for the more powerfull attacks. Fury is filled by using some skills like Bash or Cleave, that cost nothing to use. Barbarians, Demon Hunter and Monks all use this concept of weaker attacks to charge the more powerfull ones, while the Wizard and the Witch-Doctor have have the standard regenerating 'mana'.

eWEzG.jpg

Female demon hunter is kind of sexy, but the "I'm awesome" air this guy has will definetly make it a must for l33t gamers. IMHO is the hardest class to play, as it has low life and most of its skills are based on hit & run. It even feels a little weak compared to damage monsters like the barbarian and the mage, but I'm sure they will prove thensleves on harder fights. It's the only class to have 2 resources, instead of only mana or fury, as he uses Hatred & Discipline. Hatred is for attacks, and Discipline for combat manuevers, like backflipping. And is hilarious to hear him shouting "my hatred is too low!".

Also, twin crossbows is still bettern than playing diablo with guns, right? Right? :roll:

gDdAn.jpg

Man, this guy was one of my least favorite one until I played with him. Punching stuff feels good, and he has THE manliest voice I ever heard in my life. It's like Christopher Lee meets Sean Cornnery. Seriously, I laugh everytime this guy speaks. He's the most usefull charater in multiplayer, since he has lots of auras and even a healing spell.

Noi4r.jpg

The Wizard....I can't write Wizard seriously after playing Magika, so let's call her Mage. Teh Mage is a fucking powerhouse. She can insta-freeze enemies, slow time, cast a desintegration laser that cross the whole screen...she really feels overpowered, but is fun as hell to play.

hn3HQ.jpg

Finally, mr. Buga Buga, our class of choice for this LP. Perhaps is my brazilian blood makes me relate to this jungle dwelling guy, but he plays like a mix of the necromancer and the mage from D2, so I can't resist.

He has a african accent, but also a perfect gentleman way of speaking, that feels weird on a half-naked jungle dude doing some mad Voodoo. And since he speak with the spirits and I want to LARP, I shall name him Sulik.

BZeI4.jpg

And here he is, Sulik, the Witch-Doctor, in all his Lv 1 naked glory, ready for action!

Sadly, that also marks the end of the first part of my LP, as this is quite big enough already. Next update we will finaly enter the world of Diablo III, in search of our sis! Thanks for the patience! :salute:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Thanks for the comments guys, since today nothing is going on, I'm doing the second part of the LP to show some true gameplay. I hope to post it in the next hours...

Hoaxmetal said:
Oh and your Sulik shows as Felipepepe in the last screenshot, what?
No matter what name you choose, your character will always appear at someplaces as your Battle.net tag. From what I saw, only on the in-game chat and on the character selection his true name will appear...

lightbane

Arcane
You should create a Demon hunter character called "Skyway" for obvious reasons :M

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Female barb looks so hawt. :bounce:

Anyway, the Witch Doctor class looks p. fun from what I've seen, and I'm a faggot for shamanistic themes.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Lookin' good! Welcome to the club! :P

I never had any particular interest in Diablo, but I'll be following this, if only to see what The New Shit is like.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
New Tristam & Girls Diaries

After facing countless menus on last update, we finally click on play and embark on our epic adventure! For those who didn't saw it yet, I recomend watching the Diablo III Intro, that appeared on youtube a few weeks ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9mUe5vHYzs

TL;DW version, a fucking star crashes on Deckard Cain's head.

Of course, that doesn't kill him, just takes him to the lower levels of the Cathedral. It seems that stars work as elevators on this world. I also find amusing that while being attacked by Diablo two times already, he is still reading some profecies about the day hell will attack...and he is actually surprised when that happens! Must be Alzheimer...

Anyway, we and I start our epic adventure at Overlook Road! This will be a HUGE update, so I can show the town and all it's features and them just kill stuff on the next ones.

j1Jig.jpg

guG2y.jpg
The air is heavy with death. The fallen star our sis is near.

Fuck that 'star' shit, Sulik’s MacGuffin has always been his sis, and I’m not gonna let Blizzard writers ruin that. Also, I wanna LARP. I was gonna used Sulik picture from F2 here, but I like this zombie Dalsin pic they use.

XYy4O.jpg

We start with a knife, naked and with only one Skill, Poison Dart (ignore the huge ammount of money, it's shared between all characters). As you can see, skills are now based on weapon damage, possibly a way Blizzard found to make class balance better & easier on the long run. This also leads to some weird things, that we will see ahead.

Blizzard default’s is melee attack on right mouse button and skill on left one, but I switch that as IMHO my right button is much more powerful. This is very important to me. :)

QUYRU.jpg

This is the Hero screen, with our 4 stas explained. We won't be using this much since the game automaticaly assign your points when you level up, following a weird logic I didn't figured out yet. Chosing well your equipment is the only way to focus on a stats, and also the only way to increase your mana pool. The screen also shows that our Basic Attack at this point is 3.35 Damage per Second, a great way to fill some codexian hate bars.

For the nick-pickers, Sulik is writen wrong cause I forgot to screenshot this when first playing, so had to create a new dude.

S9RmR.jpg

We follow the road and meet our first enemy, a Risen eating some corpses. He is a slow moving zombie that has only a melee attack and is the cannon-fodder of this Act. One powerful click from my right mouse button, a Poison Dart flies from my zarabatana and he is gone.

P1d9E.jpg

After 5 more clicks & kills, we arrive at New Tristam gates, which are being attacked. As the guard captain kills the last zombie, We and I proceed to speak with him, while a most distractive Hand Axe that dropped covers his face.

In Diablo 2 some players played holding 'Shift' the whole time, to see where the itens droped. Here by default the always have their names displaying, but you can turn that off.

guG2y.jpg
The spirits tell me, “Go. Seek the cradle of the fallen star our sis.” And so, I am here.

TH70X.jpg
It fell on the old cathedral. There was only one survivor – Leah. You should speak with her.

PItXc.jpg
Captain Rumford, more dead are coming!

TH70X.jpg
We can’t open the gates until we drive them back!

TDFx8.jpg

And thus starts our first quest! We fight and one-hit almost all the undead. There is a new type of zombie here too, a crawling one without legs, that is a little faster and has more hitpoints, because that's what happens when you lose your legs.

Mfhv4.jpg

Our maniacal slaughter gets us a record in Massacre and +24Xp! This happens whenever you kill lots of enemies very quickly. There are other kind of records too, like killing many enemies with one strike, that we will be breaking through this glorious LP. Also note the tons of health orbs lying around, each fills ~20% of my health pool.

TH70X.jpg
I’ve never seen anyone fight like that before! Guards, open the gates! You’ll find Leah at the Slaughtered Calf Inn.

ghost.gif
Man, you build a city called New Tristam, BESIDES the original one, where Diablo lived, and them go drink & chat at the Slaughtered Calf Inn? What's the problem with you guys?

TH70X.jpg
Bad writers.

ghost.gif
Oh...I'm sorry.

Itaro.jpg

The Hand Axe we found earlier not only is faster than our Simple Knife (wtf?), but also has a higher Damage Per Second. At this point in the beta I didn’t find any reason to not equip the best weapon always, even if this means giving a 2-handed axe to a Mage, so we and I equip the Axe and venture into town.

HFUTv.jpg

Past the gate we find some guards burning the dead and reach our first Checkpoint.

lWoTH.jpg

This is the central square. Here we have the Teleporter (still inactive), the Skill Stone (I'll talk about that later), our Stash and the Blacksmith. There are some NPCs saying some NPC stuff to, like this guard.

I should point this now, in Diablo III some things are shared between all the characters, mostly the Blacksmith (and the other upgradable merchants), the Stash and your money. If this were my first time playing, there would be no Blacksmith, he only shows up after some quests. Since I already did them on the other characters, here he is, and already Upgraded to Lv 2 too!

I don’t have materials to forge anything now, and even if I had I won’t be able to use them at Lv 01, so let’s save him for later.

gijWk.jpg

This is the Stash, that works not only as a storage, but also can be used to trade between you characters, since it’s shared. Luckly there is no thing like WoW’s Soulbound itens, so your character can equip and item and latter pass it to other characters or even other players. You can also make the stasht bigger by buying new tabs, too. At the moment there is only some crafting material from other playthroughs of mine and some nice swords I crafted, that require Lv 6.

Note that unlike previous Diablos you can’t store money on the stash, but there is no point since you don’t lose a single coin upon death anymore.

b4xsH.jpg

The other part of the town is blocked by this gentleman here, so I will ask him to gently move aside.

guG2y.jpg
Please move your cart. I wish to pass.

Yurct.jpg
How dare you speak to me like that! I am the mayor of this town!

ghost.gif
What? I even said 'please', you asshole!

guG2y.jpg
Why are you trying to leave?

Yurct.jpg
Are you mad? This town is doomed! Anyone with a grain of sense should be trying to get out! Will you help me or not?

guG2y.jpg
I will not. This town needs us both. Consider this fact carefully.

AH9gF.jpg

Since BioWare Blizzard writers thought this wasn’t enough to show what an asshole the mayor is, this woman helps us know he is a jerk.

85U4T.jpg

The only other building available is Deckard Cain's house, that is locked, so we finally enter the horribly named Inn and find Black Cat Leah.

guG2y.jpg
You are Leah. The captain says you survived the fallen star our sis.

iWJvo.jpg
I did. But it blasted my uncle, Deckard Cain, into the depths of the old cathedral. I tried to search for him, but the dead were already rising.

iWJvo.jpg
I came back to rally the militia, but – Watch out, the wounded are turning!

3oaSN.jpg

Since we already had talked to 3 NPCs without killing anything, the game throw some zombies at us. The barkeeper also says "This is killing business!", just for the lulz.

gnICj.jpg

After 5 mouse clicks, the 5 zombies are dead again (okay, 6 clicks, I missed one). A golden explosion almost burns my retinas away, a sign that we gained a level! We can now equip 2 skills at the same time! And also learned 2 new skills:

h2Eu6.jpg

FunBi.jpg

NMjuV.jpg

We chose the Plague of Toads Geckos, which turn out kind of disappointing, as it spams 3 geckos that have a very short reach and last only a second…Leah continues:

iWJvo.jpg
The dead will overwhelm us all unless something is done.

guG2y.jpg
There is a deep sickness here, but it can be healed.

iWJvo.jpg
Thank you. You should speak with Captain Rumford at the gate. He can tell you what to do.

PQmWT.jpg

Before that, in search of some panties phat lewt, we enter Leah's room, that is the only one at the Inn…funny, since her Uncle lives on the next house. Must be some teenager stuff.

Anyway, we find only her diary, that tells how the zombie siege is going. To reward pedophiles & rapist exploration, her diary is updated every time I finish a quest, so remember to invade the girl’s room every time bros!

TBY9Y.jpg

Before going to the Captain, we stop at the Skill totem (or whatever is its name), and change our boring Plague of Geckos skill into something better. This is the only place where you can change previously equiped skills, and that is a pain in the ass when you are in the middle of nowhere, level up and learn a new skill, but can't try it untill reaching town. Luckly we will soon get a town portal.

KN1pi.jpg

The undead dogmeats are permanent and cost no mana to keep. even though they only do 15% weapon damage, they attack very fast and can hold the enemy while we cast big bad voodoo at them. Now we are ready to exit town and start teh killing.

The body count is really low (only 22 zombies), but this update is getting HUGE. I even had to remove some LARPing to maker it bearable, so let's stop here. Join me next time as we continue our search for Sulik’s fallen sis and FINALLY start killing hundreds of undead. :)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just wanted to say you're doing a damn fine job! Keep it up!

Also, I just Like-d your LP. Wish we could also rate threads.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
PART 3 – Death on the Road

Welcome back bros! The Codex downtime has given me time to FRAP the whole beta, and write most of it. It should be short, around 9 updates.

Anyway, here we are, on the third part of our LP, and finally ready for some action!

xlzbf.jpg

We summon the spirits of 3 dogmeats and march to the front gate, to speak with Captain Rumford.

guG2y.jpg
How can I help to fight the risen dead?
TH70X.jpg
I admire your courage, but Captain Daltyn and the militia were slaughtered by those things. Only I survived.
guG2y.jpg
Their sacrifice saved their people. I will honor it.
TH70X.jpg
Well, I have seen you fight… Strike at the wretched mothers and their queen. They’re the ones vomiting out these… horrors.
PItXc.jpg
They’re attacking the barricades!

e9TGZ.jpg

And so the barricade is destroyed by a wretched mother, our new enemy. She keeps vomiting new zombies really fast, and sometimes also spits a green goo at me. She don’t do much damage, but takes 4-5 Poison Darts to die. After killing her, we finally get a pair of (crude) pants and a shinny “New Lore” icon on the bottom right, that leads to a brief description about this new foe:

I, Deckard Cain, have spent many years traveling and writing about the strange creatures in our world, but the sight of the wretched mothers still haunts me. They are the remnants of Queen Asylla’s slaughtered handmaidens who were twisted by foul magic. Now they feast upon cadavers and regurgitate them as newly formed risen dead.
- Deckard Cain

That…doesn’t make any sense, as the mothers are thin and smaller than the regular zombies. Anyway, we received a quest to slay the wretched queen, and a bonus quest of killing 3 regular wretched mothers on the way. The path is clear, so onwards we go!

YkpKp.jpg

Another checkpoint and we arrive at Old Tristam Road. Many zombies block our way, including a new fat zombie called ‘walking corpse’. He is stronger and has more HP than regular zombies, and sometimes when killed falls into the ground and turns into a ‘walking torso’, the fast moving zombie without legs we saw before.

MUB10.jpg

We find a wretched mother and make quick work of her. 1/3 of the bonus quest is complete.

I should point this out; Blizzard reduced the amount of clicks needed in D3 A LOT by making you automatically pick up the gold on the ground whenever you walk over it. There are even some items that increase the range you pick it up, great idea IMHO.

s5oYL.jpg

While I was busy collecting phat lewt a shitty glove, my zombie dogmeats went off-screen and killed a pack of Quill Fiends before I could even show it… They are EXACTLY like in Diablo 2 anyway, and we still got a shiny new piece of lore:

Dear reader, I am Abd al-Hazir: adventurer, scholar and researcher. I share my knowledge of this incredible world and its creatures through my insightful missives – often at grave risk to myself. Why, I was recently in Khanduras, where my tents were ransacked by vicious quill fiends! I was able to beat them off with a shoe, but a less bold man would’ve fared far worse.
- Abd al-Hazir

:D

That blue glowing trapdoor is our next stop, a small ‘Musty Cellar’.

nVkqG.jpg

Here we find ‘Grax the Ancient’, a random monster and our first enchanted enemy! He and his minions are teleporters, but that alone on slow moving zombies that only have melee attacks doesn’t mean much. I missed many Poison Darts AND screenshots, but he eventually went down.

TRDe5.jpg

We got a 5.6 DPS Short Sword, way better than our 4.5 Hand Axe, and our first magic item, a holy knuckle that sadly is monk-only. Since neither our Axe nor the Sword provide any bonus besides damage, we equip the higher DPS sword and carry on.

CurXP.jpg

Back on the road we find a camp on fire and our second wretched mother. Also, for some reason we finally got the lore description about the zombies:

I will never forget the first time I saw these horrors shambling out of the misty woods. Our loved ones, buried long ago, rose from their graves and began to attack the living. However, the risen dead were only the beginning…
- Deckard Cain

CAnK8.jpg

While slaying a pack of quill fiends, a nuclear explosion of gold warns us we reached Lv 3 and learned a new skill:

zETt3.jpg

The zombie dogmeats are being helpfull, but maybe too much… I hardly took any damage, since zombies seem to prefer attacking my dogs. And they have a bad habit of attacking everything around, even if is off-screen, so it may interfere on my LP, so I will start using this new skill instead. But since we have to go back to town to change skills, let’s finish this first.

2ylYn.jpg

Our final wretched mother falls, and our bonus quest is completed. +450Xp is quite a lot, and fills 10% of my Xp bar.

QFsWK.jpg

We open a gate and finally arrive at the ruins of old Tristam. Checkpoint reached.

If you look at the mini map, you will see a golden circle, which shows were our quest objective is. It only shows up if you are really close, so it’s only use is to prevent you from blindly running into a boss battle, or missing the objective by a inch… not really necessary, but at least is better than having a permanent quest compass...

juQnR.jpg

So we march towards the golden circle and find enemy that is literally inside it, the Wretched Queen, the first boss of Diablo III.

sRNJX.jpg

And she dies in like 4 seconds...that was disappointing. She is just a bigger version of the regular wretched mothers, and only has twice the amount of HP. She was alone, had no special skills, enchantment or anything, and didn’t even hit me once, since my dogmeats kept her busy. This is really weird, since ‘Grax, the Ancient’, the random dude from before, not only was enchanted but also had 10-15 times more health. And she didn’t drop phat lewt! Absurd!

Boss is dead, we should head back to town, but let’s explore old Tristam first. There is a handy teleporter just next to us, and on the upper right corner you can see a gate leading out, that is locked. The only thing that I saw from previous Diablos here was Griswold’s Anvil of Fury in one of the ruins…but it doesn’t do anything and is not even worth a screenshot.

eQD86.jpg

We also keep getting this annoying tutorial messages saying that some slots of our equipments are empty…ah, no shit game, certainly the only reason my Lv 3 dude doesn’t have 2 rings and an amulet at this point is because I’m retarded and need tutorial help, right?

While exploring, part from the usual zombies, we find this glowing cellar door.

Gr6d7.jpg

Once inside the ‘Dark Cellar’, we get more zombies and a glowing treasure chest on the back, hurray! And if you look carefully, there is something already looting our beloved treasure chest.

PYkln.jpg

It’s a ‘Treasure Seeker’, little assholes that loot treasure chest or even itens on the ground and them start running away, really fast and laughing at you!

85CcY.jpg

They run around dropping gold, and are immune to most attacks while doing so. You can only hit them hard when they stop to opens portals, but if they enter the portal, its goodbye forever to anything they took! On this little cellar they are easy prey, but on huge dungeons, they will run through the whole place, opening doors and passing besides ton of monsters,

They are rare to find, as this is the third one I found after playing ~10 times the beta, so I’m glad he joined my LP. After killing him, he drops what was on the chest, and we get a piece of lore on him:

Some devious little goblins have been robbing our merchants! When pursued, they simply open portals and disappear with a most aggravating chuckle. The peasantry seem to believe that the goblins serve a great demon lord know as Greed and furthermore, that their portals lead to Greed’s domain! A ludicrous notion, truly.
- Abd al-Hazir

Ah yes, ludicrous notion, that’s why every time I see these guys I tried entering the portals like mad, but never could do it…people at the D3 beta forums think it will be the new ‘Secret Cow Level’, you beat the game, get an item and them you can enter these portals to fight something weird and collect phat lewt. I’m hyped! :bounce:

RltKm.jpg

So, old road & old Tristam fully explored, we head back to the teleporter and go to town. This map is quite straightforward, but the dungeons on it are randomly placed, and the next maps will be more complex, so it’s good for a first level, and way better than D2 series of huge boxes, IMHO.

TH70X.jpg
Thank you for your help. But, could you talk some sense into Leah? She won’t give up on the idea of rescuing her uncle.
guG2y.jpg
Nor should she. I will help her find him.

RF3AW.jpg

Checkpoint, 1,125 XP, 124 Gold coins, 1 of 4 the major quests in the Diablo beta completed and the end of this third update!

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
the char stats and the item stats screens just scream: WoW clone confirmed. meh.

XenomorphII

Prophet
Damn it, this makes me want to play 1 and 2. Anyway questions.

Have you run across weapons that weren't obviously better/worse as far as damage and speed are concerned?

No stat point allocation is crappy, is that just for the beta or is that a "feature"?

Also, if I am understanding correctly, when you level up skills are automatically chosen for you, and you have to go to the totem thing to equip them?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Damn it, this makes me want to play 1 and 2. Anyway questions.

Have you run across weapons that weren't obviously better/worse as far as damage and speed are concerned?
Not sure if I understood the question... you mean a powerful but slow weapon Vs a fast but weak one? Well, with casters it doesn't appears to matter much, but a Barbarian dual-wielding fast swords can use skills like 'Bash' or 'Cleave' much faster than one with a slow 2-handed weapon, although the 2-handed one hits for more damage...

If you meant DPS vc Stats Bonus, yeah, I've seen some weapons that do less damage but have a higher bonus, so it's not like "DPS > Everything".

No stat point allocation is crappy, is that just for the beta or is that a "feature"?
Glorious new feature. But on D3 you will at least be able to enchant your equipment focusing on a one or two stats, so at least is not like they removed stats.

Also, if I am understanding correctly, when you level up skills are automatically chosen for you, and you have to go to the totem thing to equip them?
Not quite, I suppose my explanation could have been better...here, an screenshot that I didn't use may help:

ka9W1.jpg

You see, Sulik has "Skill Slots". He starts with only one, but at Lv 2 he just got his second slot, and 2 new skills, Summon Zombie Dogs and the Plague of Toads. The little red numbers shows at what level we will get slots, skills and 'passive skills', that I didn't explain yet.

We can equip any skill on this new skill slot, but once equipped we can only change it at the Skill Totem. So if we get a new skill, but not a new slot, we have to go to town to try it out. It's annoying now, but we'll soon get a town portal, so its not a big deal...

CrazyLoon

Prophet
So now all characters are virtually identical to each other other than the inventory equipment?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom