Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play: Der Langrisser! CHAPTER II: BROS IN ARMS

Testing

• der

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • hurr

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

larpingdude18

Educated
Dahl, change your avatar! NOW!
angry-smiley-053%5B1%5D.gif

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We are not going to skip the "man beam" are we? this is the codex after all.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Radisshu said:
updaet plz
Well, since you asked so nicely...

IT'S THAT TIME AGAIN

Let's Play: Der Langrisser: Chapter 2: Bros in Arms

19831981.gif
- Preface: I think the first Scenario was a bit too image intense and came out more long winded than I intended, so I cut back on the images-per-second. Unfortunately, this scenario took way too many turns for me so this update is still going to be really long. But hopefully it reads better. Also, I totally forgot to turn on any screen filters for this update like I said I would. My bad!

Also, there are two things you'll find out about me in this scenario. First, I suck at planning. Second, I'm a rampant moral fag. But, I digress...

codex.jpg
- Still mad about Liana?

hdog.png
- Whatever, I'm over it. Let's just start the mission.

sc2j.jpg

And start the mission we do! While setting up, I realize that there is a store you can visit pre-mission and buy equipment for your Commanders. I buy everyone a dagger and cloak, but it hits the bank account and I'm broke by the end of set-up. I'm not sure how I missed that... Anyway, you'll also notice in the left screen that Scott is joining us. He's basically a shitty version of Codex at this point. Scott gets Horsemen while Hein and Codex get infantry (Codex because of budget constraints).

codex.jpg
- Your trust is well-founded ;)

From out of nowhere, Leon and company join us! What a surprising development.

:what:

acquiesce.png

codex.jpg
- Don't worry Lord Loren, I'll take her all the way... :smug: ...to Estool.

der00079.jpg

Easy enough.

The enemy is set up to the south. Lord Loren is fairly powerful, stronger than Laird, but Laird (being a horseman) could probably beat him. Fortunately, he's fielding a bunch of spearmen that can help fend off the Imperial Calvary.

To the north is a bridge and past that, our victory point. The way seems clear, it should be easy enough to take Codex and Liara up by themselves while the others hold off the Imperials. What's the worst that can happen? :M

hdog.png
- Allow me to start this. After a laughable showing in the first battle, I think I'm really ready to UNLEASH THE RAGE.

codex.jpg
- Well that's certainly better. I think you just killed more guys with that attack than you did the entire last battle. Most of those troops will heal at the start of the Imperial turn, but the commanders will stay hurt.

Hein and Co. decide to let the Imperials move to meet them. Codex and Liana start their march northwards.

Fortunately for our brave heroes, Leon is called away again. To protect villagers nonetheless. Looks like I"m not the only moralfag in this game...

Hein throws another fireball to kick the turn off. One of Scott's squads attacks some soldiers and reduces them to 1 man. There is no room to do anything else, so Scott's crew forms up on the flank. Codex and Crew continue their march and it's Loren's turn.

Loren's men start abusing the Imperial soldiers.

19831981.gif
- I don't remember seeing a spell called 'Attack' in Hein's spell-book...

19831981.gif
- Well, if you say so...

Things are looking better at the start of turn 3. A fireball definitely seems like a good idea.

That unit with 1 HP is fucking toast.

Cool, Hein levels up and gets some good stat boosts. And... wait a second...

19831981.gif
- ...You lying son of a bitch...

hdog.png
- Maybe if you leveled me faster, I'd be more honest :M

Scott's troops maim a wounded squad of Imperials and Scott levels up. Nothing much else to do except move Codex and Liana north.

As we end the turn, Loren's men keep cleaning house.

The Imperials retaliate:

hdog.png
- Did Laird just smash a squad of spearmen?!?! OMG HAX!!

19831981.gif
- He sure did, Hein... he sure did...

And down goes another spear squad. Another takes nasty damage. At the start of the turn, things aren't looking good. Can our brave heroes hold out against Laird and his mighty cavalry? It doesn't seem so...

Meanwhile, on the road to Estool...

codex.jpg
- ...Wait a second... do you smell blood?

lianag.jpg
- Don't look at me!

codex.jpg
- No, I'm sure I smell blood. That's Scott's blood. The gang is in trouble!

lianag.jpg
- How do you... nevermind. Anyway, we're like halfway to Estool. Let's just keep going. Besides, Lord Loren is with them. They're fine.

codex.jpg
- No... They need help. The only man that can stop Laird today is... I, Brave Sir Codex. But even I'd have a slim chance of beating Laird in one-on-one combat. And we are almost at the victory point. Fuck! What should I do? Should I continue up the road with this fine filly while that asshole Laird slaughters my comrades? Should I turn around and challenge a man that could very well kill me? Is it already too late?

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

lebronjamesnewnikecomme.jpg

codex.jpg
- Wait a second, my brain is talking inside my head...

codex.jpg
-
hmmb.jpg

codex.jpg
- ...Welp... that settles it. C'mon, Liana. We've got some bros to save.

SUDDENLY, FROM OUT OF NOWHERE... IT'S CODEX. But he's still a few turns away from Laird.

Hein keeps blasting the enemy away with his orbital bombardments.

Scott and company crash into the diminished foes, taking out a few squads. There's nothing left to do but call it a turn.

Lord Loren is an absolute wrecking machine. JESUS CHRIST THERE'S BLOOD EVERYWHERE. The turn starts and some Imperial infantry have moved in to intercept Codex.

On the southern front, Hein and Scott finish off all the enemies except for Laird and an infantry Commander.

Just above them, Kodex and Kompany bull-rush the infantry.

Two of Codex's squads take out an Imperial squad and brave Codex levels up. Just in time too, he's going to need every ounce of strength he can muster to stop Laird.

This infantry Commander gets his shit pushed in with quickness.

lianag.jpg
- Get away? Bitch, we're coming to YOU!

The next turn starts. Codex continues his backwards advance. Hein's troops kill the last non-Laird Commander.

!!!

Unshaken by the sudden appearance of the Empire, Hein decides to level up once everyone stops talking (a rare occurrence in this game).

hdog.png
- Codex, you came back for us!

codex.jpg
- Of course I did. Hein, we're bros. No matter what happens, we'll fight side by side until death drives us apart!

vg64252manlytears.jpg

lianag.jpg
- You're all a bunch of faggots if you ask me. Can we get on with the battle now?

hdog.png
- Codex, I think I'm time to unleash the BRO-force. You see, I have this spell called Attack1 that I've totally known forever. I think with our combined power (and a brave sacrifice from Scott's cavalry), we're just strong enough stop Laird. Give me your fist!

:bro:

19831981.gif
- With the power of the BRO-force, Codex charges forward. His blade is pointing straight for Laird's throat, but the proud Imperial is ready for him.

19831981.gif
- Their eyes lock, and the two warriors charge forward recklessly, forcing all their might into one decisive strike...

19831981.gif
- Codex is too much for the dutiful Laird in his exhausted state. Unfortunately for the Kourageous Kodex Kavalry, their fearless leader will be sidelined for several turns as he recovers him the fateful battle.

On the bright side, we get some loot.

And Codex levels up!

Loren goes on a strange rant. And the Imperial Ambush Forces advance on our position.

Nothing really happens for a while. Codex and Company heal and prepare themselves for the next wave.

See?

Hein unleashes the BRO-force on his troops and they charge into the seemingly endless mass of green armor and red shields.

Inspired by the heart-wrenching display of brotherhood, Loren throws some heals around. On the next turn, more prolonged fighting.

On the Imperial turn, upset over getting their asses kicked, the Imperials decide to go for Liana.

Captain Save-A-Hoe clearly has the situation under control.

Christ, it's turn 14 and the battle is still raging! Hein opens up the turn with a fireball. Codex sends his soldiers after the spearmen, while he and Scott wisely hang back.

Turn 15 opens and Hein sends his grunts after the weakened enemy.

Hein's forces decimate the enemy and he's rewarded with a level up. For those of you keeping track, that brings Hein to a full 'fuckload' of levels gained this battle. And there's more on the way! It's leveling madness!!!

Suddenly finding himself with a lot less friends, the Imperial officer gets flattened by Scott.

The battered commander drops to the ground, and the battle is finally over. Brave Codex and his companions have triumphed once more!

!!!

19831981.gif
Could it be? Is this even possible? Yes, it's happening. It's the most dreaded war-time maneuver known to man... the DOUBLE AMBUSH!!!

trollfaceimp.jpg

But from the shadows emerge a man of mountainous build and his band of bargain-bin mercenaries.

The strange band moves and engages one of the groups of ambushers.

codex.jpg
- Dammit, this guy is going to get his ass kicked on our behalf and we're like 37 turns away from being able to help.

The Kourageous Kodexian Kavalry advance, leaving their companions behind as they charge to the aid of their new mysterious ally.

Meanwhile, our new friend proves to be more than capable.

Eventually Codex and Scott's horsemen reach in the second Imperial battalion. But can they hold long enough for the main force to catch up?

Scott's horsemen rush to the stranger's side...

And Scott is rewarded with a level.

As we end turn 18 (!), the ground force has nearly reached the battle.

Third verse, same as the first. The mighty Gladiator levels up again, becoming even more grossly over-powered. By turn 19, the main force is in range to end this battle for good.

der00351.jpg

But the douchebag Imperials refuse to go gently

Codex, reunited with his soldiers, attacks with renewed vigor.

And gets a much needed level up in the process!

der00364.jpg

Hein wrecks another squad by himself, for like the 5th time this battle. He then casts a 'Darkness' spell on the next screen-shot. The screen-shot obviously fails its saving throw.

By turn 20, the Double Ambush Crew has been reduced to this:

I have a brainfart and forget to take any screens during turn 20. But here's what happens next!

Hein and Scott move in for the kill.

Suddenly, Hein is faced with a decision.

hdog.png
- Oh god, a decision? What am I going to do. If only there was a mysterious and wise group of observers to guide me down the right path.

codex.jpg
- hmm... hold on. I know some people. Let me consult with the hive-mind of Codexia.

hdog.png
- What are they saying?

codex.jpg
- Did you know that our artist also draws hentai?

hdog.png
- Codex, this is serious! wait... really? Hentai, huh?

codex.jpg
- They also say that you should continue to walk the path of the mage. But the hive-mind was pretty divided.

hdog.png
- Damn, I hope the majority was right. I guess it's settled then...

At turn 22 (OH GOD MAKE IT STOP), we've got the enemy down to a single man. A proud officer, he decides to go out on his shield.

der00390.jpg

codex.jpg
- Hein, I need the BRO-force!

hdog.png
- No, you don't. You can easily one-shot this clown. Just get it over with fast so we can all go home.

19831981.gif
-DAMMIT HEIN I DID NOT GO THROUGH THE TROUBLE OF COPY/PASTING BLOBERT'S AVATAR 4 TIMES FOR YOU TO ONLY USE THE BRO-FORCE ONCE!

hdog.png
- Ok, ok... Yeesh.

19831981.gif
:smug:

broev.jpg
der00397.jpg

der00398.jpg

AND LIKE THAT IT WAS OVER. BUT PLEASE, STICK AROUND FOR SOME POST BATTLE DERP!

19831981.gif
You're telling me :smug:

codex.jpg
- Wow, I guess being a true bro does have its rewards...

SCENARIO CLEAR!

Not bad considering we were broke at the start of the battle. And so our party moves on, towards the safe haven of Estool!

19831981.gif
...But is Estool really secure? Can it keep Liana safe? Why is it named e-'stool', that's pretty weird...

STAY TUNED TO FIND OUT!

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Crooked Bee said:
So is this LP already dead or what? :/
I had family visiting from late Feb to early March, and sometime between then imageshack went Brutus on us. I don't know if I have the motivation to re-upload all the dead links from the pictures imageshack broke, and then fix the previous entries.

Is there an easy way to do this? What hosting service would you recommend? I had fun with the LP and replaying the game, and I think I kept the images in a quasi-logical order. Playing semi-obscure strategy-RPGs and writing inane commentary to accompany it is fun to me, but fixing several hundred dead images sounds like it might be too more effort than it's worth.

But you see to have LPing down to a science, so any tips would be appreciated. If fixing this mess wouldn't be too much of a chore, I'd like to finish it.

EDIT: That sounded more lazy on my part than I intended. I'm sure it'll take some effort to clean everything up, it's just a matter of how much. I'm not completely allergic to tedious work, but I wouldn't want to spend hours and hours fixing everything.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The links are not dead. You can just remove the referrer in you webbrowser to see them. I see it fine.

Zomg

Arbiter
eh I say forget it, this game is super terrible.

Are there any of these RPG/tactics games from pre-Tactics Ogre SNES or Genesis that are not mindlessly easy?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
imgur is okay I guess.

As for the images, as SCO said they aren't really dead, it's just Imageshack being butthurt about the Codex. The problem is very easily solved, in fact.

SOLUTION FOR FIREFOX (kudos to Antihero):
1. Type about:config in the address bar.
2. In the "filter" line, type "referer".
3. Set the value to 1 and reload.
4. If that doesn't work, set the value to 0.
5. Set it back to 2 later if you want.

SOLUTION FOR OPERA (kudos to Merkwürdigliebe):
Menu -> Settings -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Network -> Uncheck the "Send referrer information" box -> Profit!!

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Will be watching.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom