Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Dark Heart of Uukrul! -- Dead and done!

TigerKnee

Arcane
Hey, I completed this game and here are my random thoughts about it, if anyone cares. I didn't really organize it or anything.

It's a really good dungeon crawler. Actually pretty high on the list, though I can think of some things which I would like to see if anyone is ever going to make some kind of fan sequel to this.

One of my annoyance about the game is that it's impossible to see Weapon stats. Armor stats is pretty obvious. I know Sagaris will give you hints on the special weapon properties, but a lot of time I thought to myself "Is a Silver Sword or a Trident better against an animal enemy, even though the latter weapon gives a bonus to animals but the former is more expensive and hurgh?" I think I basically just went with "most expensive"

Another thing I dislike is that the further you progress in the game, the less "non-linear" it seems to get, where you basically solve one set-piece after another. I hated the Cube, because the game's auto-map breaks down there (requiring external sources or personal handmade maps) and also because it has a lot of combat compacted into its tiny area. Which is odd because I believe that is the only dungeon in the game where I felt combat rate was too high (mostly prescripted so MORPETH doesn't help). The rest of the time I would say the combat rate is perfect.

Strangely enough, I completed the Pyramid really easy/fast without an FAQ and most people seem to think it's a apparently a tedious/long place. Shrug.

I know in the interview, the creators are like "OH, the last CHAOS area is unique because it has no combat and stuff and that's ORIGINAL!" but you know what, I think that's friggin lame. I like Uukrul because I feel it's a good mix of combat and puzzling for the most part. Ironically while a lot of RPGs have the flaw of becoming too combat-centric in the end and ignoring other content (cough Bloodlines), Uukrul just does the same thing in the end-game by being TOO puzzle centric instead. Same flaw, slight variant.

Combat stuff:
The decision to only allow 1 square movement, non-diagonal attacks/ranged attacks for melee classes and having all units do movement first THEN all attack at once is interesting. I think a lot of people don't like it but I think it adds this very "psychological warfare" nature to battles even if the AI is dumb. There's this tense feeling of trying to navigate your units into the perfect position, but then sometimes you realize that instead of implementating your brilliant Sun-Tzu strategy, all you did was leave your Magician flanked by 2 dudes and your fighters are at diagonals and you are like "FFFFFFF"

The non-diagonal decision is interesting. I think allowing diagonal attacks were considered an improvement in one of the Ultima games, but in this game I think it works because you can "block" off diagonal movement with your squishier characters and not be attacked by the enemy.

To be honest, I know a lot of people say that ToEE or Gold Box is really tactical, but this is one of my favourite battle system in a dungeon crawler, which I think is surprising because most people remember the puzzles apparently.

Class Ranking:
First things first, I always liked "question answering" character creation but to be honest, there's not really any interesting choices here. A lot of classes have "dead stats" which means you won't pick those choices in character creation. I would prefer it if choices which would do something worthless like give Piety to your Fighter would maybe give some consumables instead (e.g Question 1 results: STR/DEX/VIT/"Starts with 1 Fulminating Crystal") or maybe if there were slight variants to character abilities based off their subclasses.

Magician at top of heap:
Main source of damage, CONSISTENT (a really important word here) source of healing, buffs, debuffs, utility spells... has a huge pool of mana too and if you equip a mage hat, doesn't really have mana issues unless you blow your strongest spell all the time (which you shouldn't do)

Fighter and Paladin:
Personally I don't feel these two classes differentiate themselves from each other much so I'll rank them next to each other.

I find it frustrating that there are times where it seems like both these guys would constantly miss or deal terrible damage even if they hit, leaving you to have to plink away with your caster classes.

Still, at bare minimum even if they can't deal damage at all, these guys are your linebackers, they'll use their bodies to stop the enemies from getting to your squishes, and in a lot of tactical RPGs I never actually FELT that they could do that, but in this one, it's very obvious that they can.

So the Fighter's ability is insta-weapon swap but I think the Paladin does it too? I don't think I lost a turn when I swapped weapon in-battle with a Paladin anyway. Anyway this isn't as interesting as I thought it was because weapon stats are so vague.

The Paladin Lay on Hands is interesting. I don't think it's a very good healing tool unless you absolutely need to make sure someone doesn't die NOW. What's more interesting about it is that it allows the Paladin to "attack" diagonals, albeit in a luck-based fashion. This means the Fighter is the only class that can't attack diagonals.

Though I think the Fighter's raw stats beat out the Paladin's tactical options in efficency.

These two classes, I think are saved by how strong the inherent battle system is. I do wish they had more abilities though. No need for a big menu, maybe just 1 or 2 per subclass like...

1) Berserk
2) Cleave
3) Improved Healing Lay on Hands/Improved Drain Lay on Hands.
4) Flanking attack
5) 2 Tile Polearm/Spear attack.

One thing I like is that they're also allowed to use scrolls like everyone else. A lot of RPGs makes it so that they can't which I think is kind of dumb, because they're the classes that desperately need more options.

Also the whole "Oh they don't have resource management so they got to be weaker" thing is bullcrap. If your casters are out of juice, your fighters can't do jack either without support.

Priest:
Okay I know the interviewer said this guy is awesome in the end but I never felt it. His best use to me was to summon an Elemental in each fight once that stops failing all the time. Then I wonder what to cast because it feels he generally doesn't contribute much outside of Elementals.

He has a very limited amount of attack spells compared to the Magician which... really doesn't scale that well. It's strange because I always figured the Priest would trade versatility for power seeing as how his spell list is smaller but nope. Like I thought Ralkor would always hit a single target hard no matter where you are in the game but instead at the end of the game it does laughable damage. Sirdhe heals a TEENY amount of HP once you're like level 12. The priest becomes more consistent over time but wussier outside of elementals.

And I find it weird that they try to give the Priest self-buffs and ONLY self-buffs apparently (as opposed to the Magician's targeted buffs) but melee-ing with your priest isn't even a viable strategy because he's so squishy and can't wear the really good stuff. As far as I'm concerned, that makes his limited spell list EVEN smaller with junk spells.

I'm not counting out of battle utility spells for ranking. Obviously Priest would be a lot improved then.
Also I guess ranking the classes is a moot point since you can't exactly choose your party classes. Still.

Are there any other "first person Dungeon Crawlers with a tactical battle system (as opposed to blobber)"? The only other I can think of is Gold Box. Tactical Combat is just much more interesting than blob.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I hated the Cube, because the game's auto-map breaks down there (requiring external sources or personal handmade maps) and also because it has a lot of combat compacted into its tiny area. Which is odd because I believe that is the only dungeon in the game where I felt combat rate was too high (mostly prescripted so MORPETH doesn't help). The rest of the time I would say the combat rate is perfect.

Strangely enough, I completed the Pyramid really easy/fast without an FAQ and most people seem to think it's a apparently a tedious/long place. Shrug.

Well, I hated the Pyramid, with the constant spawning of Sorcerors. I htink it was the only area I didn't explore thoroughly, just trying to complete it as fast as possible. Since I actually enjoy mapping (one of the reasons I love Chaos Strikes Back) The Cube was easily one of my favourite areas.

Are there any other "first person Dungeon Crawlers with a tactical battle system (as opposed to blobber)"? The only other I can think of is Gold Box. Tactical Combat is just much more interesting than blob.

Try Demon's Winter. It's a year or two older than Uukrul, and is quite similar in some ways. The Priests' praying system is really hard core, having to pay at temples after each succesful prayer to regain favour.
The combat system is similar to Uukrul, but better IMO, since movement/"action points" in combat is dependent on your Speed or Dex rate (been a while so I don't remember the excact details).
There's also skills which makes character development more interesting.
I also liked that at the end of the game you could still find better items and encounter tougher enemies.
The sea combat is laughably bad, though, and it lacks the puzzles and clever dungeon design of Uukrul. And like Uukrul it lacks missile combat.
But overall I thought it was an excellent game.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Try Demon's Winter. It's a year or two older than Uukrul, and is quite similar in some ways.

Which version of the game should I get, if you know anything about all versions?

I played Uukrul on the Apple 2 for example.

Apple 2,C64 or PC?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Try Demon's Winter. It's a year or two older than Uukrul, and is quite similar in some ways.

Which version of the game should I get, if you know anything about all versions?

I played Uukrul on the Apple 2 for example.

Apple 2,C64 or PC?

I'm afraid I don't know anything about those versions.
I played it using an Amiga emulator myself, due to the better graphics.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Thank you Bee for doing this LP, without which I would never have known such a great game existed.

Just beaten the game today. I decided to go ironman and was surprised to find out that this game is actually fairly easy to ironman -- I've only had two character deaths in my playthrough: the first time was in URLUSAM dungeon, where a giant bat surprised us and one-shot Volourn (the party mage) before we could act, and the second time was in Hearthall where I got careless and let a dragon get Volourn again. I've had a few close calls, but generally speaking, once you get to UREAL the combat mostly ceases to be dangrous.

...And now is high time that I show you some contents Bee had missed, to prove that I'm of superior intelligence!
:yeah:

First off, it's NOT possible to get stuck in the pyramid! As long as you are in the pyramid, you can use a card of moving (by waving it in the air) to instantly get back to the first floor. I bet you feel stupid now, spekkio-kun!:troll:
uukrul_152.png

Second, in the great engineer dungeon:
n4i5x.jpg

Predictably enough, we're told to retrieve a hammer, which is just what Mara's vision told us in the last update.
Funny thing is, we are advised to take a medal with us after we've been stuck in here with no means of getting out but using a medal. Talk about trolling. :roll:
...But in fact, it's not possible to get stuck here, either! (and even though Mara told you to take a medal with you, it's not necessary.) Just go back to the teleporter and press button 3. Bee said that this area is empty, which is not true -- there're two secret doors here, which I suspect are only detectable with TALIS (that is, manually searching won't work). One of them leads to a glaive of fire, while the other is a one-way route to teleporter #2. Then you can get back to the previous dungeon by using teleporter #2.

Incidentally, I don't think it's actually possible to get stuck (as in, no way to escape save using a medal) in this game. Well maybe you can get stuck by entering the black portal in URQASTUR dungeon, but I didn't try that.

Thirdly, there're two secret doors in the western walls of Uukrul's chamber. One of them leads to the eighth and final stone heart, whereas the other leads to this book:
uukrul_129.png

It's related to an alternative method of obtaining the arming sequence, hinted here:
uukrul_108.png

So, for example, the northern code is VGAK. Using the code book, we translate VGAK into 7386. Now we divide 7386 by the northern key, 6, and we get 1231. That's the arming sequence for northern quadrant. So in fact you don't have to use the code machine at all.

xMNvV.jpg

Finally, we manage to cross it! :salute: The correct order of steps is: east - east - north - south - west - north - east - east. Hopefully I got it right.
Ho, Bee, I got impression that you just got through that room by dumb luck! :troll: The trick in this room is: each square here has a number on it, which is how many squares you will move when moving out from this square. I've got a horribly drawn map here for those who are too lazy to draw their own:
puzzleroom.png

Lastly, regarding the latch puzzle in Chaos -- finding the key and reading the inscription are all unnecessary, provided that you were smart enough to figure out the puzzle on your own. Your goal here is to reach all 7 latches within 18 steps. Upon reaching a new latch, the game will tell you how many steps you have left; when this counter reachs zero, the puzzle resets. I figured out how the puzzle works on my own before I read the inscription, which made me very :smug:. The inscription tells you to go AVCLREY, but this is not the only way to solve this puzzle; you can do it in the complete reverse order , or you can go AVERLCY or YCLREVA (which was what I did).

Kz3r0

Arcane
Monstrous Bat :bro:

Thanks for the additional informations, this is really a great game and this LP is probably the best around.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Great job, o highly intelligent bat :salute:

The trick in this room is: each square here has a number on it, which is how many squares you will move when moving out from this square.

I thought I explained that? (Too lazy to check, though. :P)

The rest of your discoveries were new to me, however. Nicely spotted!

TigerKnee

Arcane
So what are the odds that the designers would still remember their game mechanics, because I kind of want to know if messages like "Fighter and Magician spot some gold coins in a corner and take them" or "Fighter hoists Magician up to reach a shelf" are actual stat checks, which would make the "dead" stats on certain classes actually make sense.

Also I've been toying with replaying the game a bit with different starting stats just to see what it would be like.

High Dex Fighter
High Str Paladin
Strength/Vit focused Priest (early game Priest spells are terrible because they fail half of the time anyway and maybe this makes the priest buffs much better than trying with a high piety but terrible other stats Priest.)

I don't think Magician has any viable alternate builds.

And now that I think of it, I wonder if Intelligence on Fighters/Paladins affect the effectiveness of scrolls that cast spells.

Gah, I wish old games like this got such through "analysis" the same way something like Final Fantasy Tactics does.

Also I got Demon's Winter but it doesn't seem to have an auto-map and I guess I've just declined too much. Maybe I'll try to squeeze some enjoyment from me anyway but it bothers me that the "view" area is so small.

spekkio

Arcane
It lives!
This.

Just you wait, Uukrul.
One day I'm gonna fuck you up!
:cry:
Finished without any major problems this time. Pyramid is one of the easiest areas in the game actually.

Monstrous Bat said:
Incidentally, I don't think it's actually possible to get stuck (as in, no way to escape save using a medal) in this game. Well maybe you can get stuck by entering the black portal in URQASTUR dungeon, but I didn't try that.
I didn't have to use a medal even once. I'm p. sure that the black portal in Adrons Legions and all failed gargoyle/phoenix riddles lead to party being teleported to a dead-end area (checked with TALIS).
Thanks for all the tips, mang.

Un4givenOrc

Literate
I've found code book for Adron's palace and clues to the final puzzle on some low-level areas (Urlusam or before).
It seems some doors have spare keys (similar to spare hearts), that's why you have unused keys at the end of the game
And I'm sure one of the keys was lowering armor :o

First time played it many years ago and did backup reloads, after Darkest Dungeon I've accustomed to wastable party. So I'm playing it second time and already cycled through all 20 possible hirelings/substitutes for each class! It seems Crooked Bee was lucky, I've got plague rats quite early and have 3/4 of party dead of plague because I had no money to cure, got some Fetid Ichor at level 2 too. So beware of some secret doors!

solemgar

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sorry for the necropost , but I am replaying this game after so many years (started playing it when I was around 10 and had no idea what I was doing), and I was wondering if someone knows about:

When you send the carriage away and go into the huge ass long tunnel, is there anything else there apart from very very angry eels? (Guess they didn't appreciate you fucked up their water ecosystem)

Last edited by a moderator:

solemgar

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It seems I don't know how to use the spoiler tag :rage: and can't edit my post :cry:

Is there any point with the mural painting?
When you send the carriage away and go into the huge ass long tunnel, is there anything else there apart from very very angry eels? (Guess they didn't appreciate you fucked up their water ecosystem)

That looks better!

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Should post these questions in the main thread to get a faster response: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/dark-heart-of-uukrul-discussion-thread.89887/.

In the Fsofth temple secret door Is there any point with the mural painting?
Not that I can recall.
When you send away the carriage When you send the carriage away and go into the huge ass long tunnel, is there anything else there apart from very very angry eels? (Guess they didn't appreciate you fucked up their water ecosystem)
There is an object you need to acquire from the Great Engineer area. Once you have it you can safely proceed to the next sanctuary.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom