Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Dark Heart of Uukrul! -- Dead and done!

Kz3r0

Arcane
I wonder if the need for medals will increase from now on.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
I am enjoying this LP very much. :salute:

Even though I never really got into games like Uukrul, I like the way they exploited technical limitations, design-wise. For instance they used the limited corridor graphics to create all kinds of nasty, annoying and mind-bending direction puzzles.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fowyr said:
Try visiting tunnel without carriage.

Alright, I'll try that! :P

Fowyr said:
kazgar said:
glorious dungeon romping.
PrzeSzkoda said:
I am enjoying this LP very much. :salute:

:love:

kazgar said:
Kz3r0 said:
I wonder if the need for medals will increase from now on.

I'd be carrying 20 of the suckers if i could.

I'm always carrying a few, just in case.

PrzeSzkoda said:
Even though I never really got into games like Uukrul, I like the way they exploited technical limitations, design-wise. For instance they used the limited corridor graphics to create all kinds of nasty, annoying and mind-bending direction puzzles.

Yup, the devs did an awesome job given the limited graphics.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Thanks, guyz! :salute:

27: The Cube

Hell yeah!

Okay, folks, here we go. The Cube is indeed Uukrul's analogue for Wizardry 4's Cosmic Cube, Wiz4 having been published 3 years ealier than Uukrul. (If anyone knows similar areas from other dungeon-crawling RPGs, please do tell.)

werdna713.jpg

:smug:

Uukrul's Cube is 7*7*7. Just like in the Cosmic Cube, every level is divided into smaller sections and contains pits/holes, stairs up or down, and teleporters to other parts of the cube; some teleporters even combine into a teleporter network of a sort. There are also trapdoors, hidden doors, one-way doors, etc. Just like the CC, Uukrul's Cube is plagued with random encounters which can be pretty tough, even with our relatively high party level. Another trick is that there are trapdoors in here that are essential to your progress -- i.e., you must fall through them at many times -- but they strip you of some of your HP so that you must be careful to heal yourself up after falling through a trapdoor or a pit (in case your attempt at climbing it has been not too successful). On the other hand, saying spells and prayers attracts random encounters so you might want to invoke MORPETH in advance to reduce the random encounter rate. You'll miss out on the awesome experience rewards in that case, though, so yeah, you should give it some thought as you go. There are also some scripted encounters in here, i.e., one that respawn every time you reenter the room or the particular tile, but in general they aren't as tough as the random ones. They can be annoying, however, in that they prevent exploring the Cube freely. Also, there are of course inscriptions and drawings around as well as, funnily enough, rope machines that let you buy a rope for 20 coins, making the climbing to and fro process much less of a pain.

Our task in the Cube is to retrieve two things: a key, found on level 4, to the grate on level 7, and the sixth frozen heart on level 4. Accessing both areas are quite tricky, though. You can try finding the route to them yourself with the help of this map I've made:

uukrul_cube_map-1.jpg

Dark Heart of Uukrul - The Cube map

It took me some effort to make this map; I just hope I've explored everything thoroughly. (Overall, it should be quite accurate. If you spot any inconsistencies, please let me know.) With the above map, this update will be relatively short, as I won't have to cover the very process of exploring around -- you can trace it via the map yourself -- but will only show you the more interesting spots, fights, or puzzles. Another thing I won't be covering is all those pits; they vary in difficulty, being more or less easier to climb, and you can lose some HP trying to get through them. I've even found an unclimbable ceiling pit on level 1, so go figure.

6GVLE.jpg

As we exit URQOL we come across a drawing informing us that the Cube has 7 levels and we must ascend them bottom to top.

ypIPs.jpg

On each level, you will occasionally stumble upon paintings on the ceiling telling you which level it is.

gDPhF.jpg

VeOez.jpg

As the inscription (which we translate with NGOSLAZAR) tells us, this grate, found on level 1, is a shortcut to the Cube's exit, but the evil Uukrul has damaged it beyond repair and it can't be opened. We'll have to do it the hard way, then -- by making it through the entire Cube.

egDgA.jpg

A random encounter has us fighting a Stone Giant; we get some hefty exp from that:

WWOUy.jpg

I guess our entire party should level up by the end of this update. :P

UixVN.jpg

This is a normal teleporter (marked as "1" on my map above): it can only teleport you to one other location. This one teleports us to level 7, but not to the section with the exit, naturally. In general, the Cube has us hopping around the levels a lot.

0K99q.jpg

And here we are, teleported to level 7.

sRGiU.jpg

Trolls are a common enemy in here.

AhbUw.jpg

And they also land us a lot of exp.

VQLNb.jpg

In the next room on level 7, we face a scripted encounter with a Frost spirit, or Morszahni, defeating it easily with the help of a Fire elemental Kalos summons to our aid. The exp is meh, though.

5Zjw6.jpg

Trapdoors abound in here, and they're only one-way, of course. Plus falling through a trapdoor hurts and strips us of some HP.

WxjTa.jpg

Sometimes we come across what looks like a two-way pit, but we can only climb down, not up, from here. We can also jump over pits, of course. Some pits are situated in a quite tricky manner, so that you have to first descend and ascend it from a different direction in order to access the next part of the dungeon.

4HHbN.jpg

The scripted encounter on level 2 pits us against two Sentient Slimes (lol).

YE7TA.jpg

This is an easy encounter, though. Nevertheless, we get loads of exp for beating it.

NjWgq.jpg

Good. We are, however, plagued! :o Good thing Kalos is carrying a Plague antidote on him.

azd6c.jpg

Y9WNr.jpg

Level 2 has a two-button teleporter marked by "4" in my map. The teleporters marked "4" make a network that has one teleporter on level 2, two on level 4, and one on level 6. You can see the precise way it works by consulting the map.

QCDFF.jpg

On level 4, we find another Nasty knife which we later identify as a Kris of resting. We now have two of them, yay! Enemy spellcasters, beware!

CeuFM.jpg

This is one of the particularly nasty random encounters. It has us facing a Frost Lizard (aka Salatrix), two Beguiling Women (aka Lamiae), and two Flying Snakes (aka Winged Serpents).

qB6WI.jpg

The Serpents can also cast a spell that lowers our AC. FFS.

7tHQB.jpg

We are all poisoned and close to death. FFS.

tuRyZ.jpg

Serpents and Lamiae are spellcasters, and their spells are strong, so the best tactics is to try silencing them. NULAMIR is a weird prayer that is supposed to silence enemies but doesn't work on all of them (only on humans, maybe?), so we have to rely on silencing scrolls.

GhMzu.jpg

But finally we prevail. :incline:
Phew, that was surprisingly tough.

8Oq6Y.jpg

Some pits allow you to use a rope to descend safely, but we tend to run out of ropes too quickly.

a7VbA.jpg

Good thing there is a rope machine on level 4 that lets us buy a rope for mere 20 coins. We take three. :P

el5Oj.jpg

Also, on level 4, we fight a giant for a plot-critical key.

am8nM.jpg

1QhOZ.jpg

The giant is very easy to kill, though, and given that you can exploit the situation by not taking the key after the battle so that it respawns, we grind here a bit. :P

DFbXl.jpg

During the grinding, I grow careless and almost have spekkio-kun killed. :o

QuV7R.jpg

In one of our sanctuary visits, Bee advances to level 12. :salute:

KMF3N.jpg

And spekkio is awarded a Crystal ring in the Arkana of Knowledge. :incline:

sXI6e.jpg

We can also read the next passage from the archives, and boy does it sound scary.

2s936.jpg

Kalos receives a Platinum ring from Drutho. :incline:

xPx4W.jpg

Fshofth is still the least pleased of all the gods. :/

UDgQu.jpg

:D

IZ2Bi.jpg

Sometimes even ropes break. :o

SmdIQ.jpg

Level 6 hasty a nasty trapdoor with three levers. After a lot of trial and error, I figured out that the first two levers open the doors below on level 5, and the correct combination is pulling lever 2 and then lever 1. Lever 3 makes you fall down below.

ygT10.jpg

This area can't be mapped, to boot.

QcOOo.jpg

And we can't open the two locked doors by any other means than solving the lever puzzle above. Which had me swearing, cursing, and retracing my steps back to the trapdoor puzzle on level 6.

thQI7.jpg

Another exp-laden encounter, this time with a Groaning Spirit aka Wailing Ghost.

m7uNk.jpg

Too good to be true.

uJ1yS.jpg

Level 4 also has a funny thing -- a moving room. If you enter it through the southern door, you get transported 4 squares to the north.

nbNcL.jpg

Finally we make it to the room with the frozen heart. A wizard is provoking us! :o

36Cs9.jpg

No use in talking to him.

YzNua.jpg

No use in drawing our weapons.

0MBrY.jpg

No use in trying to take the heart from him.

OFvxS.jpg

Attacking him is the only option! :salute:

gZU11.jpg

This fight is easy, though, and the exp is negligible. The heart is all that matters, and we have it now. :incline:

BTVfG.jpg

Level 6 has an inscription I haven't been able to translate no matter how hard I tried. And I tried everything: NGOSLAZARs, UMESHs, and the Wand of potency. :?

08vb7.jpg

Back at URQOL, Lord Rocket levels up. :salute:
Truth be told, I stopped keeping track of the changes in our attributes some time ago. It just doesn't seem to matter at this stage; we're quite powerful, that's all I can tell you.

8sH4D.jpg

On level 3, we find a precious ornate cup. Yay! Looks exactly like the one we got by defeating a dragon earlier.

5aMlU.jpg

Level 3 also has some annoying scripted fights: four in one room! So that you can't move around the room without stumbling on a Flame spirit every other step! FFS.

RDuQj.jpg

Level 3 is the level of loot. This sword is a Soul cleaver. We now have two of them, too! We're a bit too low-level to be able to equip it, though. It must be powerful! :P

7q9iu.jpg

Kalos and spekkio level up as well! :incline:

DMcVU.jpg

Lord Rocket and Bee are somewhat lagging behind. :?

OBmZ4.jpg

And finally we make it to the level 7 section leading out of the Cube!
:yeah:

c1FOG.jpg

There are in fact two ways to exit it. The key we got from the giant is one of them; the most straightforward one. You can, however, miss it and still be able to exit the Cube -- through the "Service Access" room to the left. There is another rope machine in there, but not only that.

yY7Aw.jpg

There's a secret door in there, too!

4xaeF.jpg

The only way that I found to open it was by reciting BELAMOQ, the most powerful prayer to Drutho:

BELAMOQ Translucent Passage

Drutho, Lord of the Portals, this way resists
Our most urgent attempts.
Take its outline, hinge and bolt,
And disolve its stubborn form into ether.

5pQKf.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time Kalos recited it successfully. :salute: And on his first try, no less! We got the power!

8hM6C.jpg

We can also unlock the grate, of course.

RjLNL.jpg

And so we've made it to URQASTUR! Congrats, dear readers, we've beaten the Cube!

No new rings for Kalos or spekkio after the last level-up though. :/
Also, I have a question to Fowyr: should I insert the six hearts in the urn just now?

Next time: it is a mystery!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Crooked Bee said:
As the inscription (which we translate with NGOSLAZAR) tells us, this grate, found on level 1, is a shortcut to the Cube's exit, but the evil Uukrul has damaged it beyond repair and it can't be opened. We'll have to do it the hard way, then -- by making it through the entire Cube.

If I had a dollar for every game that's blocked off the easy exit through an area, just to give the game more banalshitboring filler content, I'd be a very rich man.

It is, however, good to know that this "innovative" bit of game design goes at least this far back.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Crooked Bee said:
Okay, folks, here we go. The Cube is indeed Uukrul's analogue for Wizardry 4's Cosmic Cube, Wiz4 having been published 3 years ealier than Uukrul. (If anyone knows similar areas from other dungeon-crawling RPGs, please do tell.)
Wizardry 7, Hall of the Past. 8x8x8 cube.

Crooked Bee said:
And spekkio is awarded a Crystal ring in the Arkana of Knowledge.
Check manual for the new spell.

Crooked Bee said:
Also, I have a question to Fowyr: should I insert the six hearts in the urn just now?
Yes. :P

Crooked Bee

Patron
Fowyr said:
Crooked Bee said:
Wizardry 7, Hall of the Past. 8x8x8 cube.

Ah yes, Wizardry 7. Thanks for the reminder. :salute:

Fowyr said:
Crooked Bee said:
And spekkio is awarded a Crystal ring in the Arkana of Knowledge.
Check manual for the new spell.

Oops. I totally forgot there are Crystal spells. The one in the Arkana of Knowledge does indeed sound swell:

The Crystal Spell: 27 CYQIEQARAQK The Tome of the Seer

With the final mastery of the Arkana of Knowledge comes the power to consult the tome of the great seer Sieqsiethsh. This mystical work is kept in a sealed bronze case on one of the astral planes. It can never be read by human eye, and its runes would in any case defy translation, but the magic of the Crystal Ring of Knowledge can concentrate the psychic powers of the Magician, from any place of Sanctuary, to form a clairvoyant view of a part of the tome, in a language of the caster's own. The tome contains the secrets of the Crystal Spells in all the Arkana, their purpose, effect, and requirements for casting; along with other prophecies of great wisdom and foresight. Study the writings of the tome carefully, and heed their portent.

Will cover it in the next update, whenever that might be.

(Also: "CYQIEQARAQK"? "Sieqsiethsh"? Really!?)

Kz3r0

Arcane
So Bee tried everything except to bribe the wizard?
51r3P%2BqddxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

However the trolling continues to flow strong in this game.
:thumbsup:

Crooked Bee

Patron
28: Hearthall

In which we get trapped a lot, obtain the dark heart of Uukrul, kill a Titan, and grow most powerful.

Previously on this LP, we made it through the nasty Cube and reached the URQASTUR sanctuary. Now onto the next area! In the manual, URQASTUR is called Sanctuary of Adron's Legions -- because, apparently, this is the former army headquarters -- but I'm going to call it "Hearthall dungeon" or simply "Hearthall", since that's what the teleporter in here is called.
Here is a map of this dungeon, and it is much more dangerous and sophisticated than it might seem at first glance:

uukrul_hearthall_map-2.jpg

Dark Heart of Uukrul -- Hearthall / Adron's Legions map

Some nasty traps in here! :o Teleporter #3 brings you to a small two-square room from which there's no escape but using a Medal. Black portal (marked by P) leads to a non-escapable trap room where your party freeze to death (again, you can only escape this place by using a Medal). One of the teleporter spawn locations, marked "dX" on the map, is the third trap since there's no way to go from it but onto the mentioned teleporter #3. Good gosh.
Again, in this update, I won't be covering the exploration process in full, only the places of interest. Hopefully, you should be able to track everything via the above map without too much problem.

etXSr.jpg

And so we exit URQASTUR via the eastern door. The evil grows stronger!

R8w5f.jpg

Climbing down into the pit, we face a liquid wall.

y5EWi.jpg

We don't gain anything by examining it, but...

4GIPH.jpg

...we can walk right through it!

dX0ps.jpg

As we do that, we find ourselves in an area of darkness. We can't see a thing! :o

E1mN9.jpg

Only the walls are visible so we follow them.

09zLY.jpg

Behind the next door we come across a drawing depicting the centre of Hearthall, the place where the 7th heart is being kept. You can easily spot it on the map, and I'll be covering it at the end of this update.

HUWMR.jpg

Teleporter #1 is pretty nasty; it doesn't let you progress further, teleporting you to a nearby (not "far", as the message says) corridor.

D6j4d.jpg

There's an iron slab on the floor here, with a mummified heart on top.

KrLpo.jpg

We examine the heart: the platform it rests on is key-shaped. Hmm.

JPz9M.jpg

Touching the slab isn't a good idea.

UmwMw.jpg

Taking the heart, however, throws us into a battle against a demon.

jLDFE.jpg

The Diabolic Phantom isn't a particularly tough enemy, but it can cast some nasty spells, so we should be on our toes.

hBocr.jpg

9PaNe.jpg

Defeating the demon lands us some nice exp -- and an iron key! Making use of the best exploit this game has to offer, we don't grab the key just yet, grinding on the respawning demon encounter instead.

bWkrx.jpg

Having killed the demon several times, three of our heroes level up! :salute:

j6Jqk.jpg

RAf0z.jpg

1eNuZ.jpg

RD3Oi.jpg

We're pretty strong, yay!

C8yrm.jpg

At the Circle of Magicians, spekkio is awarded a platinum Protection ring. :salute:

lYiIF.jpg

And then Kalos obtains a Crystal ring from Golthur! :incline:

3fz0n.jpg

Let's now try casting the Crystal spell spekkio learned in the previous update, CYQIEQARAQK:

27 CYQIEQARAQK The Tome of the Seer

With the final mastery of the Arkana of Knowledge comes the power to consult the tome of the great seer Sieqsiethsh. This mystical work is kept in a sealed bronze case on one of the astral planes. It can never be read by human eye, and its runes would in any case defy translation, but the magic of the Crystal Ring of Knowledge can concentrate the psychic powers of the Magician, from any place of Sanctuary, to form a clairvoyant view of a part of the tome, in a language of the caster's own. The tome contains the secrets of the Crystal Spells in all the Arkana, their purpose, effect, and requirements for casting; along with other prophecies of great wisdom and foresight. Study the writings of the tome carefully, and heed their portent.

tbvcm.jpg

Each time we cast it, CYQIEQARAQK lets us consult a passage from the Tome of the Seer. The first passage tells us of the Crystal spell in the Arkana of Fire, CYQIEKUN! Cyqie-kuun! :P Sounds quite powerful.

WWnN5.jpg

The next passage is just some atmospheric fluff. The mirror is apparently the Scrying Mirror, and the globe, the Globe of Blood. Now that we're reminded of them, let's rub the globe and the mirror!

h8pY7.jpg

The globe shows us a vision from the past: a prisoner and a guard torturing him.

fgEBo.jpg

The mirror shows us a vision of the future: four rotten corpses in a dungeon without a door. :? Hmm, I wonder if that's the same traproom the teleporter #3 teleports you to.

jshXy.jpg

We cast CYQIEQARAQK once again. The new Tome of the Seer passage tells us of the crystal Healing spell, CYQIETUR. Sounds great! We'll have to wait until spekkio obtains the crystal Healing ring, however.

BevP1.jpg

The fourth passage we read is about Adron.

Adron, First of the Heroes, Player of Games and Divine Charioteer

It's the same Adron whose kauri plaque we found a few updates earlier. The one with the words "I WILL RULE". I doubt you're ever going to rule, Adron, dear.
Those aren't all the passages from the Tome of the Seer, but enough of them for now. Let's rather collect all the six hearts we've found so far -- they are currently stored at different sanctuaries -- and go insert them into the urn to finally claim the dark heart of Uukrul!

pthp0.jpg

Bee now has the six hearts!

j3iTE.jpg

We teleport to URTEHLN and then reach the urn labyrinth. We already solved the lever puzzle several updates ago, so straight to the urn we go.

T824P.jpg

ZanPv.jpg

Let us insert the hearts now.

lqXfn.jpg

As we put a heart into one of the sockets, a shriek of terror is heard.

lm54G.jpg

Finally, the six hearts are in place. And Uukrul is laughing.

HXWkP.jpg

His image appears behind the grate.

7CPrf.jpg

The final battle and the Chaos? :o Sounds scary!
But anyway. We now have the dark heart of Uukrul! Which means we are now closer to beating him!

L5rDx.jpg

The dark heart pulses faintly.

bxQ7n.jpg

Back at the sanctuary, spekkio levels up. :salute:

RRjAN.jpg

He's level 14 now.

Q1Igz.jpg

We ask Sagaris to identify the dark heart, just to hear what he has to say. Apparently, we'll need to smash the heart right in front of Uukrul!

NZWLI.jpg

In the shrine of Fshofth, Kalos is awarded a platinum ring! :salute:
After that, we return to the Hearthall dungeon. As we explore it, a vision of Mara appears:

8pcMr.jpg

She tells us the words that open the secret doors around here, of which there's quite a lot. Good. "The dark one has hidden the way with golden words" points to the riddle we'll have to solve to get to the 7th heart. (Of course, we don't really need the 7th heart anymore since we've already obtained the dark heart and therefore we could proceed straight to the next sanctuary, but I want this LP to be as thorough as possible. Also, I find it nice that you can find more hearts than you really need in this game, meaning you can skip a puzzle or two if you can't solve it.)

a8KO0.jpg

DRASZ is one of the words that open the secret doors.

6Lc3u.jpg

And here's the first golden message.

clwnJ.jpg

This is another message, but not a golden one. I haven't really figured out its meaning, but I assume it tells us we can find another stone heart in this dungeon. Something like that.

oai98.jpg

TRRTG.jpg

One of the scripted encounters in here is with 6 Samurai. Easy peasy.

P8KBk.jpg

There are weapon and armour storage rooms in the eastern part of the Hearthall dungeon.

0hKcw.jpg

We stumble upon a nicely-looking sword here; Kalos picks it up.

9u0bU.jpg

Most of the weapons here are, however, of very poor quality. Bee looks scornfully at them. :P

j75CV.jpg

Still, we manage to find a good one among them.

C6Sbn.jpg

A flaming sword, yay! Bee grabs it.

g8pL6.jpg

nC8jF.jpg

Both swords look pretty kewl.

d4czc.jpg

I've no idea what the deal is with all these coloured tiles. :?

WR39M.jpg

Money! Rare gold coins, no less!!

OOTng.jpg

Something ominous is going on behind this door.

lQEej.jpg

A high-level Orc meeting! :P

0VVZD.jpg

Some Orcish Generals and Lords. They have quite powerful spells at their disposal so we make sure to silence them using a Silence scroll.

IZNP5.jpg

It doesn't take us long to find the next sanctuary, UROQLAMN. Our bussines in Hearthall is not yet done, however!

0Pl6q.jpg

Meanwhile, Bee has advanced to level 14! :incline:

gC9W8.jpg

Hmm, will we all be able to make level 15 during this update, I wonder?

YbR6E.jpg

spekkio obtains the crystal Fire ring! He can now cast CYQIEKUN. :incline:

OCs8y.jpg

And we can now read the next archival passage. It tells us of some kind of beacon. :?

qupDo.jpg

DByTh.jpg

We ask Sagaris to identify the two swords for us. I like.
:thumbsup:

0ET5O.jpg

At UROQLAMN, we continue reading the Tome of the Seer. No idea what this particular passage is supposed to mean. :?

xGDkM.jpg

QADIOS is the crystal spell in the Arkana of Protection. It is the most powerful shielding spell.

k1VS4.jpg

Yet another Tome of the Seer passage tells us of the Obsidian Hammer.

83cat.jpg

And then we learn about MUZAQ, the crystal Frost spell. Instakill! :P

uJodv.jpg

We also consult the Globe once again. I wonder who that old man is. Sagaris? Uukrul?

S8JPR.jpg

And the mirror shows us a horrible place we're sure to discover in the future! :o

ldDxV.jpg

4zFnw.jpg

Exploring the Hearthall dungeon further, we reach the officer's quarters.

eY21E.jpg

Some cheap and worthless weapons in here.

LtdlW.jpg

As well as a small sum of money. Too small to matter. :decline:

8Pv9I.jpg

wluIN.jpg

This scripted encounter has us battle a Robed Man and three Wights. No problems here.

vqHw9.jpg

I'm not sure what this inscription is supposed to mean. :?

83elr.jpg

In the southern area of Hearthall...

zaGGr.jpg

...we come across a black portal!

FDEts.jpg

As we examine it, Kalos advises us against entering.

MesKE.jpg

As we try entering it, the game warns us the second time! FUUUUUUUUU-, handholding!

ZLRv7.jpg

We press on. Kalos faints. :smug:

rwGQu.jpg

Oops.

zjXb1.jpg

It is indeed a trap. :P If you don't escape it by using a Medal of escape, the cold will kill you.

lJ7Mh.jpg

This is the teleporter #2.

TbY0M.jpg

It takes us back to the URQASTUR sanctuary.

wKCoh.jpg

The second golden message!

D4ZBq.jpg

We also find a cool-looking staff. spekkio claims it.

qhaHL.jpg

Looks powerful!

R9Vtl.jpg

There are many too many slimes in this dungeon, and they tend to plague us. :decline:

uvB4A.jpg

Good thing spekkio can cure plague with ISUL, the golden spell in the Arkana of Healing:

13 ISUL Cleansing Air

Isul will draw the infected air from one who has been touched by the plague. The Spell is very dangerous to cast: you must draw the plague into your body, and then make an antidote within your own body and pass it into the infected one. This will place you at great risk of being infected yourself, but the plague is a most dreaded disease, and must be cured with urgency.

MgMJ4.jpg

Lord Rocket is level 14 now! :salute:

9Poft.jpg

And Sagaris identifies the staff for us, revealing it to be a Staff of power. :incline: spekkio-kun has a new staff now.

oWx9H.jpg

We also buy a new weapon for Kalos, a Club of holy power. We're fairly rich and can afford it!

RFboh.jpg

Sagaris tells us the Club is inscribed with the glyph of the high priest. Nice.

HBTC6.jpg

At the sanctuary, we peek into the Tome of the Seer again. "The kauri plague is broken"? :? But we're carrying it, and it looks fine! What, should I break it or something? :?

0rzBu.jpg

The Tome also tells us about the prayer that awakens the dark mirror vision and that we'll need to shatter Uukrul's dark heart, but we know all that already.

7qcMS.jpg

And the Globe of blood shows us the final battle of Mara's party. :salute:

xGnAv.jpg

The fourth golden message!

rmyoD.jpg

In the area we can access from the cX spawn point, we find a new plate of armour. I wonder if it's any good.

MS6kE.jpg

We also try out spekkio's new crystal spell, CYQIEKUN, in a battle against several Trolls. They all die in an instant. :incline:

jsVoH.jpg

And here's the third and final golden message. Coolity cool. We can now proceed to solving the riddle.

dpdAJ.jpg

We take teleporter #1 and find ourselves inside the Hearthall central building.

vwZ2H.jpg

There is the HEARTHALL teleporter in here, which we can use to quickly travel between this place and a sanctuary.
Also, there are four secret doors in here. Each door is opened by speaking a "golden word", as Mara's vision told us earlier. The main clue was given in the golden messages themselves. In message #1, which we can identify by the word "first", we must form a "golden word" (= the password for the first secret door) from the first letters of each of the words it contains => FIRELIGHT. In message #2, we take the second letters of each word => HEARTSTONE. The third password is KAURIGLASS, and the final one is, surprisingly enough, UUKRUL. :P

Q0heR.jpg

We open the first secret door and are thrown right into a battle...

balk2.jpg

...against a Malign Shadow!

TgPqQ.jpg

We defeat it easily.

10CLU.jpg

The next fight is against...

33PgV.jpg

...two Fire Drakes. This one is trickier as the Drakes can breathe flames that hurt our party a lot. Still, we prevail in the end.

6adnE.jpg

Nice!

BB97b.jpg

The third encounter is, however, the toughest one.

Y5CJs.jpg

It pits us against a Might Creature aka a Titan. The Titan can also breathe flames as well as hit hard and cast Fire spells.

vjaJQ.jpg

qv2r0.jpg

Still, the exp reward for defeating the Titan is pretty high, and we can use it to grind to level 15! :incline: I must've fought this battle, like, 15 times :OCDbee:

AunLy.jpg

o6Tej.jpg

First Kalos and spekkio make level 15. :salute: It's the level cap, by the way.

Rrf5p.jpg

spekkio gets the crystal Protection ring.

QlIKe.jpg

:incline:

yFNtG.jpg

7npAg.jpg

And Kalos obtains the crystal rings from Drutho and Fshofth!

29b2T.jpg

:incline: :incline: :love:
Kalos is the most powerful priest evar! now.

iilvF.jpg

The plate mail we found is Enchanted mail. We equip it on Bee.
At the shop, we buy a Great helm and Battle gloves for Rocket:

sC2p0.jpg

His AC goes up to 33. :salute:
We also buy Battle gloves for Bee and Magic boots for Kalos. Bee's AC is now 31, and Kalos' 19. :incline:

54pCp.jpg

UxI6b.jpg

After some more grinding, we finally grab the 7th heart! Not that we need it, though. :roll:

HpiZ5.jpg

Lord Rocket and Bee are now level 15, too! :salute: :salute:

eBKqN.jpg

jESfa.jpg

We got the power, yay!!
At the Circle of Magicians, we read the last 15th passage:

laiFQ.jpg

Hmm, so we'll need to destroy a beacon? Duly noted.
Also, spekkio obtains the last two crystal rings!

k6rHx.jpg

:incline: :incline: :incline: :love:

Uukrul, beware! :P

lightbane

Arcane
So much grinding... Does that mean that this game is actually a jrpg ? :M

Can you break the dark heart before meeting Ukrull?

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Am I the only one who finds it odd that your hack-and-slash warrior's best attribute is Intelligence, so much so that he is tied with your mage? His Vitality stat, interestingly enough, is (or at least was) the lowest out of all of your party members. Are stat gains random?

Also, I was wondering why you waited until now to buy gloves for your fighters. Was it an inventory thing?

Anyway, good job! I'm really excited to see this thing come to a close. It is my favorite LP going on right now.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
lightbane said:
So much grinding...
So much unnecessary grinding. :M
I hit 15th level in the Adron's Place or maybe Chaos without any grinding.

Crooked Bee said:
Eventually you'll understand it.
And, BTW, Uukrul was once of Light.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Kz3r0 said:
All your hearts are belong to us.

Yay!

lightbane said:
So much grinding... Does that mean that this game is actually a jrpg ? :M

No, that means I should seek treatment. :OCD:

Fowyr said:
So much unnecessary grinding.

Indeed. I just can't help exploiting and power-gaming without any real purpose. :P

lightbane said:
Can you break the dark heart before meeting Ukrull?

Nope: "Nothing happens, the glass heart stays in one piece". :decline:

Kashmir Slippers said:
Am I the only one who finds it odd that your hack-and-slash warrior's best attribute is Intelligence, so much so that he is tied with your mage? His Vitality stat, interestingly enough, is (or at least was) the lowest out of all of your party members. Are stat gains random?

Yup, the attributes seem to randomly increase on a level-up. Well, truth be told, I'd like to think that isn't entirely random, but rather depends on the character's sub-class (e.g., Lord Rocket's sub-class is Berserk, spekkio is an Enchanter, etc.). That's just a wild guess on my part, though, the way it imho should be.

Kashmir Slippers said:
Also, I was wondering why you waited until now to buy gloves for your fighters. Was it an inventory thing?

Yup, the encumbrance limit is very harsh in my view. It's only in this update that I was finally able to equip Rocket and Bee with the heaviest gear available at the shop; equipping it earlier would've either been impossible or would've precluded them from picking up any significant loot, which wouldn't have been wise.

Kashmir Slippers said:
It is my favorite LP going on right now.

:love: The game is indeed extremely good, glad you're enjoying it.

torpid

Liturgist
Didn't know there was a level cap :( Without it you could've reached ridiculous levels -- let Uukrul get a taste of a level 25 party.

Also, adding your self-made maps takes LPing to a whole new level.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom