Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play: Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein - VetBoB

Caveman

Scholar
Day 4

HEROIC Newt

Newt(yellow outilne) became HEROIC. He ran to the enemy and throwed some grandes.
26ev3.jpg

Unfortunately he died.
27tt5.jpg

Caveman

Scholar
I get bored...

German AI on starat map is somehow retarded. They broke the line in few spots but they stopped advancing further.

I'm waiting for final version of VetBOB mod with crazy hard AI and more turns per day.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Holy shit, what an incredible crap support on this. The patch was "almost finished" and days away in december and STILL it's not done now that it's february. Considering the amount of bugs and the fact that the campaign sucks ass due to ze nazi's not using artilery I really can't recommend this game as it is. Bah.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Man, how many more years until a decent new CC :roll:

Just checked, I played CC2 in 1997, thats almost 12 years now ...

with TOW sucking and TOW2 not looking much better, did you guys see Kharkow43 ? It looks promising, especially as the devs did some things right with Steel Fury and proven they can actually deliver a game in 1-2 years. Demo is said to be around the corner.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Combat Mission Shockforce has a bit of a 3d CC feel to it. It's also patched to perfection and has quite an active user/mod base. Plenty of neat scenario's to play with.

Anyway, this CC has great potential if you liked the earlier ones. It's the same engine, but the AI is very much improved. What irks me however is that the grand campaign isn't worth it due to a number of rather annoying bugs (Germans not using artillery and battlegroups not moving or even disappearing are the worst) Untill these are fixed I really can't recommend the game. When they are I can easily recommend it as the best CC ever.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Lets get this over with: I am a fag and cheat, exploit, quicksave and powergame. Also I am playing this fast arcade style just to get over it and get to CC5. This is our starting point. Let the saga begin.

Deadly "silence" lay upon the sweep of this country. Strangely, the monotonous cracking of the panzer tracks relieved the heavy pressure lying on the shoulders of our marching comrades. Here and there a bird flew of, dropping some dry snow from the black branches of those mournful trees, leaving it float to earth. The air was clear and crispy.
1.jpg

Oberst Peiper didnt server in the Grande Guerre but he clearly remembered the proud face of his father when he showed him his decorations. It was a coming of age. An experience he would never forget. He stood equal and was considered worthy. Although the Oberst's path in the military was long set, moments like those, though rare, carved the word determination in his skin. Kampfgruppe Peiper exceeded the standards set by its name.
2.jpg

The convoy would arrive on the west side of Stavelot. Major Götz, the old panzer commandant, manifested himself in the tent of Oberst Peiper the way he always did: silent and undetected. The enemy was known and said to be superior in numbers but Peiper learned not to trust the new intelligence chief. He had the pleasure to meet the man personally in Berlin. This encounter was the reason Götz had to deal with him. The latest news was great: the yankees wouldnt make it over the barely icebound river in time to dig in in the south. Still, Leutnant Wittke's squad would scout for the armor in the danger zone and reserves were ready just in case.
The plan was simple like all good things. Control the bridge through line of fire and flank'em on both sides.

3.jpg

Götz and Peiper got along very well even though the Major was way older than the Oberst. Sometimes Peiper would starre at the old mans wrinkled face for moments. Götz didnt mind, took his stance, eyes ahead and waited for his superior to blink out of it, whos mien in turn simply went ahead with the schedule realizing that he has been starring again.

Knowing the Oberst distrust for the info high-command was handing down to them, the Major lead the convoy carefully through the center and as if Peipers guts were magical - yankee bridgehead - 2 tanks ahead. Luckly for Götz, his gunner was religiously following his command, controlling the mainstreet. 1 shot, 1 kill. Hatch down. Enemy contact! Leutnant Zoeller was on 1600 and blessed with his new gunner Roloff. That boy seemed to do nothing but operate the turret. Probably dreaming about angles and gears. Zoeller didnt even see the enemy tank, still driving forwards while Roloff alredy smelled blood and was aiming. The yankee tank stopped and turned the 75 mm steeltube around before them. Roloffs tower on the other hand was still driving with the chassis but he didnt care.

It seemed the yankees had trouble at the bidge. Götz waited a few minutes, hoping to catch some hotshot walking into his view but time was an issue and orders were given. Flank maneuvre.

Wittke had a nice day. His team strolled in the quite, middleclass neighborhood of Stavelot. Counting stories and venerate the gothic influences on the windows. He earned it in the last engagement. Slowly walking towards the bridge, through homes not unlike his own. Even the mobilière was somehow familiar. On the sideroad, behind a shack they found and blew up a cowardly hiding panzer. All in all it was a nice day.

Götz wanted to see how good Roloff really was. Disregarding the plan, he send Zoellers protégé onto the right flank. That would give him an excellent, covered position behind the storehouse, the element of surprise and a steady shot. Plus the left flank would attack first!

4.jpg

To say the least Götz was agreeably surprised. You cant have it all though. Zoeller catched a richochet from a deflected shell, almost loosing a leg.
6.jpg

The operation could not be running smoother and still high-command wanted more. They wanted something that was lost in half a year gained back in less than a month. Peiper once overheard one of the most fanatic soldiers he has seen in his life, Gefreiter Bottke, talk to himself, doubting the timeline. It gave him a little bit calmness regarding his lately fading optimism.
5.jpg

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Now that I have been David Gaydar for few hours, I realize that its not what I wanted to be. It sucks. So run I did. Maybe one last time because the text was already done.

They finally caught up with us. The infantry group crawling on from the north
probably already made its way into the secure building block that was soiling
the horizon. The sun behind the old wooden shacks pierced the clouded skies and
the yellow rays of warmth played on the chest of Commander Topel. It was a meeting
engagement and we had the upper hand, we had the bridge crossings. The night before scouts
spotted 1 heavy armor piece. Leutnant Thiele had his trusty old Stug hide behind an old hostel
while the AT team was sunbathing, protected by a burned out house. The crew was tense and ready.
Topel's sin was gambling, a sin many men had to pay for. the station on the other side was war painted
with bulletholes and ashes. The Commander took a short sip from his flachmann, his late wife gave it him
when she left. It took the edge of, and orders were given: through the rubble of the lost train to victory.

1b.jpg

Leutnant Thiele saw the yankee in hull-down first. Its turret scouting the area stopped rotating first at the bridge and then at the rubble behind the old railroad station. Fire! He could have sworn that the shell pierced the thick frontal plate of the tank but the mashine suddenly went full speed ahead, its gun now turning dangerously quick to the camouflaged location. RELOAD! RELOAD! Thiele knew screaming wouldn't help but silently watching death spin around wasn't the way he wanted to go, he had to do something. The enemy tank continued his strange maneuvers, now showing its left flank. He knew he should have waited with the first shot. The barrel looked grimly at him for the last time and Thiele felt remorse... Ding! The sweet sound of ap ammunition penetrating steel woke him up and black smoke in the distance cast a slener smile onto his face. The gods of war: artillery.

2b.jpg

The gamble payed of. The clear concrete station made an excellent ambush position and the Panzerschrek team made its first kill. Only Frau Bruning wasn't satisfied but Topel didn't care - afterall she even got the Iron Cross.

3b.jpg

4b.jpg

5b.jpg

6b.jpg

Mad_Dog

Liturgist
Thanks for renewing the LP.

Trash said:
Combat Mission Shockforce has a bit of a 3d CC feel to it. It's also patched to perfection and has quite an active user/mod base. Plenty of neat scenario's to play with.

Anyway, this CC has great potential if you liked the earlier ones. It's the same engine, but the AI is very much improved. What irks me however is that the grand campaign isn't worth it due to a number of rather annoying bugs (Germans not using artillery and battlegroups not moving or even disappearing are the worst) Untill these are fixed I really can't recommend the game. When they are I can easily recommend it as the best CC ever.

What system are you running CMSF on? Have you tried CC Modern Tactics? Is it worthwhile?

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
So, I was wondering if the fanfic is up to fanfic writing standards? Should I continue? Its kinda fun but also actually hard work so I'm torn...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joachim_Peiper
"Why did I become an SS man? Because the black uniform, especially that of the Leibstandarte, looks the nicest."

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-R65485%2C_Joachim_Peiper.jpg

Historically, this place was abandoned by the yankees. Let us not disappoint our ancestors.
The open field is under crossfire from the Panzerschrecks ans AT gun. The tank will move into the city core. A small infantry squad will circle the town attack from the north to divert their AT capabilities and let our armor strike into their heart.

1c.jpg

The progression on the south front runs smoothly. Enemy armor divisions are very rare. The resistance halfhearted. Securing and holding the town center is major priority while Leutnant Stahl ("steel") flanks and gives fire support.

2c.jpg

Heavies

heavinf.jpg

3c.jpg

4c.jpg

5c.jpg

4 officers... Kaunitz couldn't believe it. The russians in Kharkov were far more careful.

6c.jpg

Kwas should probably look it up...

P23map.jpg

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
System requirements: 22 inch monitor, 1 Mbit internet connection.

One of the shitty features of the game is continuing battle where the enemy after loosing because of low moral gets a rematch and has placing zones inside of my military high authorota!

2d.jpg

Stavelot bacame the furnace of the division. 7 times they took Hill 422, 7 times
we demanded it back while Death was counting its prey. The earth turned to a reddish
burned mash and smelled like steak. One day fighting made the bridge at foot of 422 as
famous as Lili Marlene. The whole front knew. American POWs told story of a Private
shooting himself to skip the advance of his division to retake Stavelot - the tribunal
awarded him with the highest honors.

Peiper and Götz were checking the armor when Lt. Schlüssler found them. He was
sweating and out of breath but managed to pull of a pose worthy of his commander.
"Sir, can I speak, Sir!"
Peiper felt something bad coming, as always. At least it wasn't an attack. That should
be audible.
"At ease, what's going on?"
"Lt. Wittke, Sir, he was rounding of the prisoners near the hotel."
"With what intentions?"
"His squad was present, Sir"
Before Peiper could think of any reason why a man who's squad took the factory
outnumbered, under heavy fire and without any tank support would break down, MG
fire shattered the morning.
"At least it's not an attack" Peiper heard it being said. He wasn't sure if it was him.

Lt. Wittke should have lost his rank and decorations and his squad should have been
executed. But Wittke respected Oberst Peiper for a reason. Hans Wittke did what every
german officer would have done. Lt. Schlüssler on the other hand was promoted.

8.jpg

Kampfgruppe Peiper, consisting of 4,000 men and 500 vehicles of the 1. SS
Panzer Division entered La Gleize in the 5th night of the german counteroffensive.
Peiper remembered the warm and loud nights on the russian front, raiding villages. He
remembered the first Cross he was wearing at the adjutant meeting. Guderian just a
door away. Now it seemed so far away.

All his men had fifty kilometers bravery and sacrifice multiplied by snow and ice behind
their backs. None wanted to lead the assault again. Why not walk by, leave it be... but
we crawl in hordes there again. The engines started howling madly and blind cannon fire
rained flickering stars. It was more horriefing than Dante's Hell. Soldiers were falling to
the scorched ground under the pressure of steel and flame.

untitled4.jpg

La Gleize were the place, where Peipers group ran out of fuel, encountered heavy resistance and had to leave the motorized and heave equipment behind. Me, I was running out on ammunition.

The american military was slowly breaking down. After the initial complete destruction of
the defending division, the supposedly relief force arrived to late from the flank.
Entering the town of Martelange from the south, they were exposed to fire from all
angles. The death toll of attacking fortified positions is 3 to 1. This attack didn't even
began.

untitled3.jpg

1c.jpg

untitled2.jpg

The yankees pushed on all fronts but they did it lousy. It seemed to be the last rearing
up of a dying beast. We on the other hand were playing with new weapons. No matter
how experienced, fanatic soldier you are - you wont be storming flamethrower positions.

1ece.jpg

untitled.jpg

329344047_3caacf940e_o.jpg

flamethrower.jpg

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
One of the nice features of the game is that the consequences of your actions remain on the map, mostly. This gives some maps a distinct character.

untitled1.jpg

In the heat of the battle a bazooka team sneaked up on us. Luckily they didnt have anything to finish the job.

untitled2.jpg

wtf is this shit? barrels of respawn? its not fucking quake here...
untitled4.jpg

The allies threw everything they had at La Gleize, the last armored divisions moved onto
this little town and Bastogne. Here Peiper's excellent panzer command abilities earned
him his Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords.
The area where the american counterattack presumably would take place was scouted
and a plan of the eastern part of the city put on plotting paper. Peipers assistant didnt
understand at first why he was ordered to scribble buildings when the rest of the
Kampfgruppe was barricading themselfs on the center of the town.
Melancholy, longing the troops were waiting for the counterattack. The sunrise glistened
like a polished, new bajonette. The american desperate but futile attack began and now
yankee battlecries were stopping abruptly when they swallowed their lead medicine.
We stood as an indestructible wall. Wave after wave split on rocks. Not one man was
lost!

untitled6.jpg

Leutnant Zöller died of complications of his leg injury. Peiper already signed the
papers, allowing Zöller to get medical attention back home and a little rest - something
very few got to do at this stage of the war. But the gangrene got to him before the
antibiotics could.

untitled7.jpg

Meanwhile on the Ostfront things were looking bleak.

27.jpg

15.jpg

oscar

Arcane
Just started playing Close Combat for the first time. Playing the second one, it's a blast. Pretty difficult to get used to after Company of Heroes but damn satisfying.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Character

2.jpg

This should be an american attack.

3.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooh!

4.jpg

I thought about giving it colordata about range but that would mean work.

5a.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!

6.jpg

Meanwhile...

Dresden1945.jpg
Dresden_1945.jpg

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Ultimately, we're all dead men. Sadly, we cannot choose how, but what we can decide is how we meet that end, in order that we are remembered as men.

:salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom