Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play CK2 Sword of Islam: Emirs, Caliphs, and Sultans Oh My!

Who should I be?

• Total voters

XenomorphII

Prophet
I think I will do a LP for CK2 Sword of Islam now that it is out since I did one for CK2 when it first came out. Of course I will be a Muslim ruler, but I cannot decide who to be so please help me. Here are your choices:

(Also note that some of the coats of arms may change from time to time, as they have been doing that to me since 1.06)
(This is patch 1.06b with only one personal modification: The Hohenzollerns are set as counts of Furstenberg and barons of Zollern from 1060 start date).

A) House of Dhunnunid in Iberia:

3eVsv.jpg
3eVsv.jpg
[/IMG]
Pros: Should see me stomping about Europe relatively quickly and fighting the Infidels in their homes, things should be fast paced, little chance we will be taken out before things get going.
Cons: I will probably hit the "I have won" point relatively quickly.

B) House of Abbadid in Iberia:

yV4cD.jpg

Same as the other as far as pros and cons go, just a different family/coat of arms. Might be a little bit slower start, and less chance of me getting crusaded into oblivion right out of the gate.

C) House of Hashimid in Arabia (vassal to the Fatimid):

Zfzdf.jpg

Pros: Is of the same family as the Prophet Muhammad himself, though not a direct descendent (doesn't really do anything it is just kinda cool), sits on the border of Fatimid territory, so I might be able to push quickly into Yemen/East Africa to establish a power base.
Cons: Some of my territory is pretty poor. After pushing into previously described areas it will take me awhile to eat away at the Fatimid and get to start waging Jihad on the Infidels of Europe. Could end in flames quickly as he is Sunni and his liege is Shia.

D) House of Ghurid in East Persia (vassal to Seljuks):

TwA7c.jpg

Pros: I have actually played as this one before (not true of any of the others), one of the few Persian vassals of the Seljuk, should be challenging unless I luck out again (previously when I played them the Seljuks went Persian and started giving me boatloads of titles which.
Cons: Could end quickly or have a very slow start, if I am not far far away from that eastern border of the map by 1230 I will get to meet the Mongols up close and personal and they will likely end me, it will probably take me some time before I get to fight any Infidels unless I go up into Russia and conquer the Pagans there.

E) House of Sulaymanid (vassal to Seljuks):

wdF74.jpg

Pros: On the border of the Seljuks , decent provinces.
Cons: They are in the middle of the Islamic world with no Infidels to go after, but there are some heretics in the area that are not aligned with either the Fatimid or Seljuk at game start.

F) Replace House of Ghaznavid with Andhaira Andhaira in Easternmost Persia (open to suggestions as to what culture he should be and whether he should be Shia or Sunni):

doU5P.jpg

Basically the same as House Ghurid, but with a much quicker start, and if I get lucky I could supplant the Seljuks in a hundred years or so.

Kipeci

Arcane
I've been thinking about attempting to make one of the couple Kurdish guys in the Seljuq Empire a sultan of Mesopotamia or something. My vote is with C.

TripJack

Hedonist
Hashimid. The family of the One True Prophet must rule the world.

ironyuri

F: Ghaznavid, but don't play Andhaira. Just follow in the footsteps of Mahmud of Ghazi.

newcomer

Learned
Whatever you choose, I suggest you use the ruler designer to create a dynasty "of Swing", just as how it was suggested by people in the paradox forum

For the choice, let's go with iberia

XenomorphII

Prophet
Hmmm. Damn it. I knew I shouldn't have put the Andhaira option!

Well it looks like that is what we will be doing (unless there is a big change between now and I'll say Wednesday as a tentative start).
So what culture should I go about spreading Peace, Islam, and Inanity with? I was thinking either Turkish or Persian (could go Mongol for being even more overpowered than I already will be)?
Also Shia or Sunni? (Bear in mind the Seljuks are Sunni, and there aren't many Shia leaders nearby)

Endemic

Arcane
Hmmm. Damn it. I knew I shouldn't have put the Andhaira option!

Well it looks like that is what we will be doing (unless there is a big change between now and I'll say Wednesday as a tentative start).
So what culture should I go about spreading Peace, Islam, and Inanity with? I was thinking either Turkish or Persian (could go Mongol for being even more overpowered than I already will be)?
Also Shia or Sunni? (Bear in mind the Seljuks are Sunni, and there aren't many Shia leaders nearby)

Ha, I was the only one who voted option E. So to fit with that choice: Turkish/Sunni.

Norfleet

If it still works, go with one of the Sunni Heresies. That way you'll be able to expand against your neighbors...if you don't die a gruesome death. Sunni Heresy should give you the maximum selection in targets. Also, everyone hates you, but hey, this is the Andhaira option, right?

XenomorphII

Prophet
Update 1-Lo The Age of Inanity Begins

Gather round friends as I tell the tale of the mighty and noble House of Andhaira. Today we enjoy a worldwide Caliphate guided by their just hands, but there was a time long ago when there were those who denied the Truth and Light of Islam. This is the tale of the beginning of the Andhaira family and the beginning of our Great Caliphate.

vnBT3.jpg

Ahh. The most Noble and Majestic Founder, Andhaira I. He became Emir at the age of 25 after his predecessor Ibrahim (of the House of Ghaznavid) had a vision sent to him by Allah in which he was shown the age that was to come and the young man who would bring it about. Due to this vision, when a familiar looking young man appeared in his court, who had come from then east, Emir Ibrahim gave everything he had to the boy, and left for the wilderness never to be heard from again.

(DO NOT believe the LIES of the secularists of today, who deny that such a thing is possible, and instead claim that the Noble and Majestic Founder usurped the House of Ghaznavid's lands through tricky, deceit, and murder! To think they could believe that our Founder would do such a thing as shouting inane questions and discuss, until the Ghaznavid's simply fled for their sanity or died! It is just preposterous.)

Ahem. Now. Where was I? Ahhh yes. Andhaira I.

vnBT3.jpg

He was a great man, and very skilled!

D-14, M-27, S-15, I-15, L-9, Traits (Do you all want me to put exactly what effect each has or is listing them enough?): Brilliant Strategist, Genius, Strong, Hedonist, Lustful, Greedy, Patient, Deceitful, Content, Arbitrary, Trusting, Lunatic, and Possessed (Blessed by Allah is what those last two should be!).

Now in those days what we think of as Islam was seen as a heresy of the Sunni Islamic faith. They called it Zikri. Ultimately, the Zikri faith would unite all lands under it in worship of Allah and His Prophet, and become the One True Faith practiced the world over! Praise be!

The first order of business for the young Andhaira, who now found himself an Emir, was to bring more people of the Zikri faith into his court.
(Invite noble man/holy man decisions used to get Persian Zikri courtiers to get us started)

ltEIj.jpg

Most of them were, well, they were terrible. But! They were of the True Faith, and that was what mattered!

With his court established, he sent each of them to do his bidding. His chancellor was dispatched to the court of the Seljuk Sultan (to keep him appeased and to prevent the destruction of his heresy), his marshal set about recruiting and training his troops, his steward went to collect extra taxes to fund the expansion of the Faith, his spymaster stayed at home to protect him, and his court Imam was dispatched to begin converting the populace of Birjand to the True Faith.

zgLbQ.jpg

The less than skilled chancellor had his work cut out for him. The cursed Seljuk Sultan, was not fond of the Noble Andhaira.

It was at this point that the Founder set about getting married:

KPcRy.jpg

So he invited four women from his home (Invite Debutante decision) to come and be with him.

LlVaX.jpg

And thus, Andhaira I began to begin his illustrious dynasty and his journey from humble origins to a place of highest respect and honor.

Let's see how this goes. I am a little concerned that it may end in flames quickly since I am a heretic and the Seljuks start with medium authority (I had intended to take a shot with that, but forgot). If that does happen I will either: A)Stop, B)Reload, try again, and play it off as the narrator forgetting how something went, or C) Start over, but this time as whatever option is the runner up at that point.

Also how do you guys feel about me narrating as somebody looking back on things and the style on this one in general?

And another thing. If you see me misspelling a name/province/whatever a lot, please tell me, as I might not even notice it.

Last thing (maybe). I think from now on I will have my comments outside of the spoiler box, and have just the narrator inside. As I am unsure how well this flows for you all (with me jumping from narrator to me commenting and back again). Or am I over-thinking it?

Anyway here is the prologue. Tune in next time for some deep emotional engagements with the wives (I hope, but it would be funny if I died in battle right now and the game ended).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom