Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's play Cataclysm 0.A (Day 5: Science labbu)

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
I say drink take all the spider mutagen, then take the generic mutagens.

And what is this about a diamond katana?

potatojohn

Arcane
Are you sure you want to replace it with a Katana?
The zweihander has worked out surprisingly well. Let's see

Zweihander - more damage per attack, can attack several enemies at once, can knock enemies back one square

Katana - more "DPS", faster, lighter, counts as a cutting tool (for butchering/crafting), can stun often, can be upgraded to a diamond katana, character is an otaku

I still think a katana is better. Also, crafting it is a nice goal

What mutation categories are there?
See http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=List_of_mutations for the list

I reserve the right to indefinitely delay using mutagens whose catagories include very ponderous, high thirst and fast metabolism.

Is the farm just for lulz, or would it be a worthwhile investment of time, your name not withstanding?

Sadly currently there's not much point beyond the lulz, but here have been discussions to make it worthwhile by decreasing the amount of wildlife with time

I say drink take all the spider mutagen, then take the generic mutagens.
Spider's pretty cool yeah

And what is this about a diamond katana?
Through a somewhat elaborate process you can upgrade a katana to have a diamond edge, increasing its damage and durability. Also since the material changes to diamond, you don't get electrocuted attacking shocker zombies anymore.

And it'll be a short visit to the lab if we don't get some armor first. Search the surplus stores at the very least, we need a proper helmet so this doesn't end with 'I opened a door, got shot in the face once and died.'
I do have an army helmet from one of the soldiers

i agreed .. you defenetly need something to cover your Torso
Since I'm using a melee weapon, putting anything more on my torso is a pretty bad idea. Each encumberance point is -1 melee skill, -1 dodge skill and +20 attack time

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Zweihander is also a MUCH better bashing tool, one of the best you're going to have around unless you want to carry around an object specifically for bashing. Though our character isn't super strong so bashing some things won't be an option anyways, I guess? I just recall being rather disappointed with the katana because I had to swap it out every time I wanted to break down a chain link fence or crates or anything sturdy. Plus, once you get nice enough armour dps becomes kind of irrelevant anyways, you could just punch everything to death or outright ignore it and still be unharmed.

As far as long term goals, given our intelligence, we have the potential to become a massively overpowered cyborg mutant. If you read enough books and take some drugs, you can take the installation rate for even the highest level CBMS to 90%+, and we could easily craft a shitton of alpha or chimera mutagen once we find the recipes. I'd say those are nice long term goals. Though in the meantime, becoming spiderman sounds fun.

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
As far as long term goals, given our intelligence, we have the potential to become a massively overpowered cyborg mutant.

That's my favorite thing to do in this game. Fairly recently, I had a character who took a shitload of plant and cephalopod serum, and essentially turned into a mass of vines and tentacles filled with CBMs. It was pretty fucking awesome.

potatojohn

Arcane
Part 5: Day Zed

zpAD0id.png

Melee weapon damage is now a thing

OOW1Xet.png

Since the zweihander is made of steel, we need a soldering iron (or the grossly more inefficient welder)

YPn8lB9.png

We also need scrap metal. The easier way to get it here is to set fire to an item in a vehicle

fTiCvLq.png

As it burns it throws out chunks of metal

TFufB46.png

After many failed attempts (which do train mechanics) we reinforce the zweihander. It now does even more damage, much like reinforced armor offers more protection

nYmuAMd.png

I thought it was a wolf, honest :dead:

vdSDma8.png

Some giant worm tunnels up to say hi.

YmIj3vX.png

When driving, it's best to hide the sidebar

3ZWJ4Mq.png

I park the truck and await the zombies that will come due to the noise of the truck

Nfxt3MD.png

The hacksaw will be useful

BBxECZI.png

After a while, no zombies come any more. It's time to bring up the truck next to the fuel pumps

1bJrEgo.png

Well, except a boomer that explodes on me

MPgXhjy.png

We refuel to 9% full from the three pumps. Since the truck actually has 4 fuel tanks, 9% is quite a lot.

TkY0sW6.png

I repark the truck and go into the city

1Sbt9JU.png

If you hide behind the corner the shocker zombie won't have to to do the damn ranged attack and is way easier

xz3JJxv.png

Using a hammer and screwdriver, I start disassembing over and fridges for useful items

2x6I6vQ.png

I make some spikes to mount on the front of the truck

xUoxDTR.png

Moving forward to the pawn shop. It's empty

VMIaI0J.png

But there's more useful places in this town

VMIaI0J.png

The military surplus store has a gas mask, which offers better environmental protection than the filter mask and also covers the eyes. In particular this protects against boomers blinding you. It does however cost 1 more mouth encumberance point (3 vs 2), and each point is +5 base move cost

cQftlQN.png

Three zombies with a single swing man. Still because it's a slow weapon they manage to get some hits in

iEGpYy1.png

The clothing store has a dinosaur suit

Ih5Bybj.png

Around the corner there's a zombie necromancer. It's a pretty weak zombie that can raise the dead. I kill it immediately

nK9UPKz.png

The sporting goods store has a basic repair kit, a new item that repairs weapons and tools made out of wood, bone and chitin

eD0KA6c.png

Don't have a wrench or we could get some blades here

DmLQiTG.png

The other military surplus store doesn't have anything interesting

7HCHESF.png

There are a bunch of zombie dogs. A tactical retreat is in order

OVdyFlW.png

My careless running around the town gets me in a bit of trouble as zombies approach from everywhere

XjFwsq8.png

Nothing that hiding behind a window and a zweihander can't handle though

bVurnGX.png

The hardware store has a ton of useful loot, especially the welder, anvil and crucible, part of the puzzle of making the KATANA

XerKNmo.png

They're too heavy to carry, so they go into a cart

daSo0R9.png

Great luck! The back of the hardware store has a steel compactor, which can change convert steel items (like frames, etc) into scrap metal, chunks of steel of lumps of steel. This is essential for crafting

lVBS1CN.png

Due to the rain the the zombie child killing, I've become depressed, reducing speed and stats. Not good.

0fCRWFt.png

Back at the truck I unload the cart into the side trunks

4hqlD4z.png

The Semi Truck's heavy duty frame rams into a shrub!
ROARRR!
ROARRR!
ROARRR!

Xl92t4i.png

At the library there are some skill books. Nothing groundbreaking

Adw54p2.png

We find an RV with a working kitchen unit. Morale is too low to remove through

96T2LLH.png

On the other side of the town, there's a fire station. Predictably, in it a group of tough firefighter zombies.

tz189c0.png

And a fat zombie

H5nGGPH.png

We drive northeast to uncover some of the map. There's a triffid grove. Triffids are scary

muxtHjX.png

Mines on the road and forest on either side. Must proceed on foot

Ln1tSmY.png

The sewage treatment plant has some mostly useless CBMs

Ps8Bi4t.png

South in the fields there are some military corpses

u0XKBnA.png

Reading the map uncovers nearby roads and some types of buildings

u0XKBnA.png

Just south is a military crash site with some CBMs

PPcOdYO.png

As I'm closing the window curtains preparing the place for a night's rest, a ZOMBEAR says hello

7iEiLXP.png

ZOMBEARS are dangerous. I take off my gas mask so I move more quickly and move through the window so that I get some more attacks

444UFLC.png

With the broken window, that shelter is no longer an adequate shelter, so I go back to a house just south of the fire station

Q1RfvIO.png

Great, a methhead house. Hopefully the fumes don't kill me overnight

26ZIMhR.png

The basement has the essential welding goggles

ctOEsYv.png

The zweihander has taken damage and is no longer reinforced. I fix it up again

FhegFE3.png

MREs are disassembled now

jyM9ww5.png

Into this

IFVIqgN.png

With child slaying no longer on my mind, it's time to sleep

dHAtqGL.png

Day 6 begins

I forgot to drink the mutagen. I'll do that next time

What do do next?

1 - explore eastern city
2 - explore western city
3 - mod the truck into a deathmobile
4 - acquire skills for crafting the KATANA
5 - ??

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'll second modding the truck. Though less because I want a deathmobile and more because it'll train mechanics.

Cassidy

Arcane
3 - mod the truck into a deathmobile

Also:

Cataclysm 2 will become as great of a roguelike as Grimoire shall be the greatest of blob-based CRPGs.

Meanwhile DDA will not be a project without progress by the time the greatness of Cataclysm 2 is at hand: by then DDA will have dragon, brony, diaper fetish, cosplay clothing for everything, transsexual mutations, a "President of the United States" custom starting profession, weapons that are straight copies from the stupidest ones in Fallout 4, the next Saints Row, the next Dead Rising and the next GTA and more variety of wood types, clothing types(because rag is too generic), metal types,etc than Dwarf Fortress and of course, over 100 variations for every basic recipe (scrambled eggs, etc) plus every brand of soda sold in Kwanzania detailed very specifically as an individual and separate item, from Mountain Dew to Coke.

:troll:

Last edited:

potatojohn

Arcane
Day ???

2014_03_13_103131_904x560_scrot.png

What's... what's this... where am I

2014_03_13_103402_904x560_scrot.png

I... I've seen this before... but different

2014_03_13_103529_904x560_scrot.png

Why

2014_03_13_104031_904x560_scrot.png

Where's the X that used to show where my truck is pointed at?

2014_03_13_105030_904x560_scrot.png

Well, this is better than I remember. A floodlight is like a flashlight, but for vehicles

2014_03_13_105146_904x560_scrot.png

Smoker zombie

2014_03_13_105200_904x560_scrot.png

OH HELL YEAH

2014_03_13_105208_904x560_scrot.png

It's like power armor but it runs on plutonium cells. It's a bit weaker but way more efficient. Plutonium cells come from teleporters, which are haven't seen yet but they're usually like candy

2014_03_13_105526_904x560_scrot.png

The sporting goods store has a runner pack, which is a backpack with 0 enc and 30 volume. Great for melee users

2014_03_13_110044_904x560_scrot.png

We're way better with no torso encumberance

2014_03_13_111000_904x560_scrot.png

OH ZWEIHANDER DON'T FAIL ME NOW

2014_03_13_111023_904x560_scrot.png

well damn

2014_03_13_111039_904x560_scrot.png

2014_03_13_111052_904x560_scrot.png

The tiles confused me. That's my story and I'm sticking with it

Notes

And so end the adventures of Chavez Dong, otaku, last man on earth

This day was repeated because I lost the save file. Or rather I never saved it. I left it open without saving and left. Then I came back, through I had saved and quit without saving. I thought using tiles would make the repetition a bit more interesting

I've uploaded the saves if anyone wants to continue. I copied the world for each day. You can also make a new char in the last world and loot my body and truck:

http://devio.us/~dv/files/codexia.tar.gz

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom