Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play...Call of Cthulhu: Shadow Of The Comet (Complete)

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Less drinking more posting.
How is Cthulhu pronounced? Choohoo? :)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Some illiterate musicians believe it's written and pronounced as KTULU.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Ghostdog, IIRC, DosBox screenshots tend to come in 320 * 400 resolution. You seem to have resized them to be larger.

Back when I was doing my KGB LP, I thought it would be better if those images were larger, which was why I painstakingly copied every image to the clipboard to upload it, but when Tintin took over, everybody actually prefered the smaller default resolution.

Does this game look good in 320 * 200? Or would it not be clear enough?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I promise this is the last ozzy reference...

CHAPTER 9: DIARY OF A MADMAN

Okay, we have to find who's that man that can help us, but first let's go order some more pills. Something tells me we're going to need them. At least it seems the cultists have eased up a bit.
shadow207.jpg

shadowmary.jpg
Welcome back Mr. Parker. How can I be of service?

shadowjohnparker.jpg
It's a pleasure to see you Miss Mary, I'd like to order three more pills

shadowmary.jpg
I'll ask dad to get them ready. You can pick them up later.

There are some new photos on the board:
shadow208.jpg

It seems we're definitely going to need those pills...

We should make a stop at Myers since he has many new things. At that time the exchange rate was probably something like 1£ = 100$, so we can buy everything and not give a damn about money. Everything is cheap anyway, that locket costs only 1 dollar.
shadow209.jpg

Walking around the town, Parker finds the post office. Hey, what was that the message said, "3 colors, 100 messages"... The man we're looking for, must be in the post office!
shadow210.jpg

shadow211.jpg

The lazy developers haven't given this lovely lady a face, so I'll give her one myself.

shadowanjhuston.jpg
Oh, well David Underhouse asked me for it and I lent it to him... The poor man can't get around, you know... such a cruel world !

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Where can I find him?

shadowanjhuston.jpg
There, the door at the end... Interested in Indians, are you? Mr. Underhouse is very keen! He's been looking for that cemetery for months!

shadowjohnparker.jpg
I beg your pardon?

shadowanjhuston.jpg
The cemetery of some Indian tribe... The Muckamucks or something... Well, he found it and he is very happy.
Now, why should a fine man like that take such an interest in savages...?

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Fighting for your land, doesn't make you a savage, miss Guildchrist.

shadowanjhuston.jpg
Mr. PARKER, my father often said: "The only good Indian's a dead one" and he knows what he was talking about.

She doesn't like Parker very much after that last comment. Get in line lady! Let's go upstairs and find that indian-lover expert.
shadow212.jpg

shadowunderhouse.jpg
So, Mr. Parker, why don't we discuss the Mic Mac ?

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Actually, it's precisely because I'm so ignorant about indian culture that I'm here. Have you heard of Narackamous ?

shadowunderhouse.jpg
Indeed. He was the last of a particular branch of the Mic Mac tribe, a branch known as "They who worship the Night Howler". By Night Howler they meant NYARLATHOTEP. How did you hear about him?

shadowjohnparker.jpg
We met. He almost killed me.

shadowunderhouse.jpg
But he is supposed to have died 70 years ago!

shadowjohnparker.jpg
I can only tell you what happened.

shadowunderhouse.jpg
I know it's none of my business, but may I ask what you're looking for on the map?

shadow213.jpg

shadow214.jpg

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Does the name Chtulhu mean anything to you?

shadowunderhouse.jpg
Let me answer with a question of my own... DO you know that those who worship Nyarlathotep are rewarded with a very particular gift... Immortality?

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Do you think that...

shadowunderhouse.jpg
There are names it is wise never to pronounce, and people it is wise never to meet.

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Are you talking about the Hambleton family?

shadowunderhouse.jpg
An ancient curse hangs over Illsmouth. Some of the townspeople practice strange rituals in the worship pf foul and age-old gods. I wanted to know more and the curiosity caused me my legs !

shadowjohnparker.jpg
And Tobias Jugg who led me to you, is dead...

shadowunderhouse.jpg
Dead? dear God, there is no time to lose! The mayor, Andrew Arlington, isn't here. The diary containing th origin of the curse is locked inside his office safe.

shadowjohnparker.jpg
You don't happen to know the combination of that safe, do you?

shadowunderhouse.jpg
Just before my "accident", I learned that the digits had something to do with the bible. Passages in the Bible that talk about figures that symbolize evil.

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Well, thank you for your help.

shadowunderhouse.jpg
You can thank me by bringing me a photo of the stone circle.

shadowjohnparker.jpg
That's a promise!

The plot THICKANS ! As I leave the post office, I stumble upon Miss Picott and Gloria...
shadow215.jpg

shadowgloria.jpg
Hello, Mr. P...

shadowmisspicott.jpg
Gloria, I forbid you to speak to this, this... person! He is nothing more than a ruffian who fights in the streets!

shadowjohnparker.jpg
That's a little unfair, Miss Picott. Young Webster needed some help, and it was my duty as a Christian to...

shadowmisspicott.jpg
Good Christians do not spend their time in bars, Mr Parker. Good day to you!

Wow, that was cold. Let's try to prove that we're good bible-reading Christians...
shadow216.jpg

shadowmisspicott.jpg
I hardly like to be without it...

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Miss Picott, how about exchanging the Bible with this marvelous locket?

shadowmisspicott.jpg
It's almost like the one I lost last week ! I don't know how to thank you. Here is my bible... Please take good care of it!

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Thank you so much.

shadowmisspicott.jpg
Oh, and by the way... Any time you're passing do come and visit. Gloria would be SO happy!

Best 1 dollar I've ever spent. I bet Mayers nicked the locket from miss Picott and then realized it's a fake. Next stop: the City Hall. Outside, we find Mr. Bishop:
shadow217.jpg

shadowthomasbishop.jpg
Keep your voice down! I may have something to tell you, but not here.

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Where?

shadowthomasbishop.jpg
I'll let you know. You take care now, Mr. Parker. See you later. I hope.

Now we must get into the Mayor's office. Unfortunately we stumble upon a problem.
shadow218.jpg

shadow219.jpg

shadow220.jpg

shadow221.jpg

The obnoxious clerk, is obnoxious! It also seems he is immune to bribery and threats... the perfect civil servant! We can try bribing him with whiskey, mock his silly hat, bother him with inane questions... and accomplice nothing, he is a goddamn rock! That's when Parker decided to take a more subtle approach...

shadowjohnparker.jpg
I simply want a few words with the mayor.

shadowclerc.jpg
Not Possible. The Mayor is not here at this time.

shadowjohnparker.jpg
I don't want to bother you, but the mayor suggested I enjoy the view from his office window.

shadowclerc.jpg
Ah yes.. You must be the photographer. It's about the next edition of the Illsmouth town hall journal, I suppose.

shadowjohnparker.jpg
No, I'm the reporter.

shadowclerc.jpg
Well all right but don't go touching anything. Reporters! They can't leave anyone alone!

Wow, break time is the only time the Town hall gets a bit lively...
shadow223.jpg

Anyway, time to get to the mayor's office, Let's watch the beautiful view first.
shadow224.jpg

Yeah, I wonder who's the lucky guy...

Mmm, that painting/cupboard thing looks suspicious...
shadow225.jpg

It's the safe! And it has a 3 digit combination. Mr. Underhouse said it had something to do with the bible... let's see:
shadow226.jpg

shadow227.jpg

No, it's not "666"... it's "345". (duh)
shadow228.jpg

shadow229.jpg

Inside we find a diary and a cigar case. It's time to read that diary and find out what the hell's going on with Illsmouth...
(In a 46" widescreen high definition crystal clear image)

shadow230.jpg

"In 1829, I'd made my fortune the hard way. At sea.
At the time, I became interested in the occult. I read only the most
accursed books! And then I met Narachamous. He initiated me into the
ancient practices. At last I was in contact with those from the
outside. Each day my know ledge grew deeper. My body regenerated..."

shadow231.jpg

shadow232.jpg

shadow233.jpg

shadow234.jpg

"They all think I'm dead. Only he who reaches
that place where water, earth and sky come together,
can find my burial place."

shadow236.jpg

"Nobody can destroy the families without the
statuettes which I guard and the secret incarnation. In 1910
the comet will come again. And the prophecy will come true.
F'THAAAGH IAEEE CTHULHU N'GAAARFGH."

shadow237.jpg

DUMDUMDUMdumdum...scene fades to black.

I new we'd find hentai tentacle action at some point. And let's face it, Glen Close is the perfect bride for Dagon. It was nice of Mr. Hambleton to have kept this diary with all this juicy information...

But will Parker manage to defeat his dark adversaries, or will evil invocations make his frail heart explode into a bloody mess? Stay tuned for the next dramatically suspenseful episode !

COCSOTC Behind the scenes:

shadowstevenspielberg.jpg
Good work everyone! This was one of our best episodes!

shadowjohnparker.jpg
I don't know... I think I lost the British accent a couple of times...

Don't sweat it my boy, some actors can't even do accents, take a look at Sean Connery.

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Yeah, I bet I could do a better Russian than him :lol:

That's the spirit! Hey, why don't we take a photo of the occasion? Robert, Ozzy, Glen, come a bit closer... That's it! Saaay... R00fles !!

(CLICK!)

shadow238roofles.jpg

(That pic looked so silly I just had to put it in somehow.)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Wyrmlord said:
Ghostdog, IIRC, DosBox screenshots tend to come in 320 * 400 resolution. You seem to have resized them to be larger.

Back when I was doing my KGB LP, I thought it would be better if those images were larger, which was why I painstakingly copied every image to the clipboard to upload it, but when Tintin took over, everybody actually prefered the smaller default resolution.

Does this game look good in 320 * 200? Or would it not be clear enough?

The problem is that in 320x200 it's difficult to read the text, that's why I decided to resize them. I'm using acdsee for this. You can easily resize , rename and change the file format of many pics simultaneously.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I must say that Narackamous is the coolest villain I have seen in a game in a long long time.

"BEHOLD! We are being watched!"

*teleport*

"I, NARACKAMOUS, tell you that in two nights, Cthulhu shall reign once more."

*burn*

Robot

Scholar
Yeah, it's like "before you die know that everyone you knew is going to have it a hundred times worse." Suck it, bitch.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
So btw, the scaly hands of Curtis Hambleton come from the fact that his father was not Jonas, but rather the creatures of the sea, right?

I imagine that Wilbur Hambleton's amphibian features manifest themselves a bit more strongly, and hence he wears a cloak.

Seboss

Liturgist
Ok, this LP made me want to finally pick up this game (I was initially turned off by the awful control scheme), and I'm basically using this thread as a walkthrough. In some occasions, the events take a slightly different turn which is actually nice.
But here I have a problem. I'm in the mayor office with the bible, and as soon as I enter the right combination to the safe, the disembodied voice of the mayor calls for the Sheriff and Parker gets thrown into jail. Have I missed something here?

I should mention that I went into the mayor office before actually getting the bible and went back once I got it, and I get arrested whatever the combination I enter.
I hope I'm not in some dead end. I got enough of that crap while playing Legend of Kyrandia last week.

EDIT:
Ok, seems it was not a smart idea to fiddle with the safe without knowing the right combination the first time. I suppose the mayor gets on his guard after that.
The nice thing is that I have to get back as far as the forest ceremony to get the game back on rails...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I've had a couple of back-tracking situations myself , that taught me to save very often. If your slots get filled, just go into the installation directory and move the savegames to another location.

Seboss

Liturgist
I should have known such situations would arise in a game that gets you killed in broad daylight when you try to visit the local lighthouse.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is it stereotypical villian behaviour to write down your condensed evil story in your diary? Can you imagine pre-wussified Darth Vader doing that?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Is that MADNESS mr Threepwood?

...Or genius...?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom