Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play...Call of Cthulhu: Shadow Of The Comet (Complete)

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Whoa, an invocation to the Great Old Ones that has the awesome power to break a small bridge. Impressive. Why not kill the intruder instead?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
wtf what happen to private detective/philologist Carper WHAT HAPPEN?!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I don't know if you've realized it, but we've reached DAY 2 ...Fuck Yeah !

CHAPTER 8: NO REST FOR THE WICKED

After a really horrible night, Parker gets up and writes in his diary. Yes I know, in real life only girls have diaries, but in games it's cool:
shadow169.jpg

We take a look at the manuscript, but we can't learn anything from it, it's full of strange symbols. We'll have to get someone to decipher it, but right now it's imperative to go to the Pharmacy and get some heart pills.
shadow170.jpg

If you wander around the town too much, Parker will DIE form a heart attack. Yep, Ozzy's evil gaze was just too much for him...
shadow171.jpg

So let's head to the pharmacy, right away.
shadow172.jpg

shadowjohnathanmathews.jpg
Mr. Parker. What a nice surprise!

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Dr. Cobble gave this prescription. He said it's kind of urgent.

Darn it all! I'll get all that ready for you. It's going to take a while.

shadowjohnparker.jpg
I have a favor to ask. I must develop my plates and I was wondering if I could use your dark room...

Help yourself... It's the door at the end. You'll find all the chemicals you need for developing the plates, on the shelf.

Chemistry time! We have to mix some chemicals in order to develop the photos. At first it seemed a bit hard to decide which of them to use, but just leave out a couple of acids that would obviously destroy the photos (HINT: using hydrochloric acid is not a good idea) and you'll be ok.
shadow173.jpg

shadow174.jpg

shadow175.jpg

Now let's take a look at those photos...
shadow177.jpg

shadow178.jpg

shadow179.jpg

Poor Carter...so young... But no! Mr.Mathews comes in just in time to give Parker his heart pills!
shadow180.jpg

You see that's a lot better already! Don't push your luck!

shadowjohnparker.jpg
I'll try to remember that.

I'm counting on you. So is my daughter. Now I must leave, will you be alright?

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Don't worry. Thank you again.

Unfortunately the plate that had the photo with the horrific eyes, fell to the ground and crashed to pieces... Who knows, maybe it was all in Parker's mind...
As we leave the drugstore, we bump onto that other guy we saw at the circle:
shadow181.jpg

shadowjohnparker.jpg
You're most thoughtful, Mr. Coldstone. Aren't you a little too old to be out so late?

shadowcoldstone.jpg
I can take care of myself. A word of advice: stay away from the forest. There's something about it that doesn't agree with some folks

Was that a THREAT ? And we don't even have a proper avatar for him. This guy is starting to get on my nerves.

>[strength] Grab his neck and snap it with a single move.
>rolls 1
>critical failure
>you strain yourself and die from a heart attack
>loading save012.sav

Ok, better leave him alone, he is too high level for us.
Actually this guy is the one that has the creepy house the mayor entered a couple of updates ago! At least now we know most of the conspirators. Outside the inn we meet Jed, a local farmer, and I decide to buy his lazy ass a drink. I think we need some friends around here. And we definitely need some alcohol.
shadow182.jpg

shadow183.jpg

The only man I can think of that could help with the parchment, is our good old friend Tobias. As we reach his house we see that creep Hambleton leaving. What is he up to? Let's follow him.
shadow184.jpg

shadow185.jpg

shadow186.jpg

He left something... a key! (Is Mayers part of the cult?)
shadow187.jpg

And then he goes on to the lighthouse and the guards let him pass without a word...hmm.
shadow188.jpg

Let's go back to Tobias's house. The door is locked , but guess what, the key Hambleton dropped, is Tobias key !
shadow189.jpg

shadow190.jpg

Things don't look good inside...
shadow191.jpg

On owr way to Tobias's room we pick up 3 statuettes, a statue of a baby, a young man and an Old man. Hmm, this reminds me of the sphinx riddle...
You now have the option to pick up books from the library. There are many books pickable , we'll need to pick up 3 books in accordance to the statues. So we pick a book called Youth, The Invisible Man, and The Old Man And The Sea and replace them with the statuettes.
shadow192.jpg

shadow193.jpg

The door to Tobias's inner study opens! Let's pick up a small key from under the carpet , before we proceed. (TIP: Always pick up the key)
shadow194.jpg

Tobias is lying all bloody and battered on the floor...
shadow195.jpg

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Who did this? I'm going to get some help.

shadowtobiasjugg.jpg
No. It's too late for that and I can still be of some use to you. Quick... give me the parchment. They came for it.

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Here it is.

shadowtobiasjugg.jpg
Great heavens! It's as I thought! It means:
"In his dwelling place of dead R'LYEH, CTHULHU dreams and waits."
Do those words ring any bells?

shadowjohnparker.jpg
I've come across the name Cthulhu in old manuscripts concerning primitive religions. Nothing more.

shadowtobiasjugg.jpg
Mr. Parker, man has not always been master of this world. Many ages ago, there was a race of gods: the Great Old Ones.

shadowjohnparker.jpg
But how can you believe such...

shadowtobiasjugg.jpg
Rightly or wrongly , many believe that by using certain incarnations, these loathsome creatures can be brought back to reign over us once more!

shadowjohnparker.jpg
How?

shadowtobiasjugg.jpg
There are portals through which the Old Ones will enter. In exchange for the promise of power, wealth and immortality, there are man prepared to perpetuate the hideous ancestral cults!

shadowjohnparker.jpg
What are these gods? where are they?

shadowtobiasjugg.jpg
They are at once far away and very near. Their names are DAGON, YOG SOTHOTH, NYARLATHOTEP, CHTULHU... There are many others.

shadowtobiasjugg.jpg
The passing of the Halley's comet coincides with a favorable astral conjuncture. They will return... Parker, you must stop them. You must, do you hear me?

shadowjohnparker.jpg
How can I stop them?

shadowtobiasjugg.jpg
In 2 nights from now, in the center of a stone circle, the guardian of the portal will materialize. It must not be allowed to happen! You will fond here a book called NECRONOMICON. Within it's cursed pages you will find the formula you need. Be warned Parker: the book drives men to madness! Do not take it from here.

shadowjohnparker.jpg
But if you...

shadowtobiasjugg.jpg
My desk... there is a message... That man will help you. Beware, some of Illsmouth's citizens will seek your destruction by all means possible! Read the message in the safety of your room!

shadowtobiasjugg.jpg
Narachamous, the sorcerer... Even dead, he wields ghastly power.

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Dead?

shadowtobiasjugg.jpg
Remember: "...more things in heaven and earth Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philo...."

shadow196.jpg

Let's take a look at the Necronomicon. It seems there is a lock on it but we already have found a small key, haven't we? We should be careful, Bruce Campbell read the wrong lines in Evil Dead and then his girl tried to eat his brains, his arm tried to choke him to death and finally he ended up in a medieval deadite-infested England.
shadow197.jpg

" The ancients were, the Ancients are, the Ancients will be.
YOG SOTHOTH knows the portal, YOG SOTHOTH IS the portal.
YOG SOTHOTH is the guardian and the key to the portal.
To summon HIM, stand inside the circle at the appointed hour.
YGNAIIH THFTHKH NGHA YOG SOTHOTH.
Three times he must be summoned.
And there will be light. The portal will shut."

That was a lovely read. If by any chance we're stupid enough to leave with the book...
shadow199.jpg

shadow200.jpg

So, let's put it back and take the message from the desk.
shadow201.jpg

At this moment the cultists are out for blood. If we don't go straight back to the doctor's house, chances are, we'll bump on a cultist and he'll frame us for Tobias murder:
shadow202.jpg

shadow203.jpg

shadow204.jpg

It seems sergeant Baggs is the court and jury here. You don't want to take your chances with him. So, let's run straight to our room and read that message...
shadow205.jpg

shadow206.jpg

Great! another cryptic message... Don't worry we'll decipher it, Parker kicks Robert Langton's ass in the riddle solving business.

...I won't forget, Tobias Jugg :evil:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Nice LP. Keep up the good work.

This game uses the same game engine as Eternam did...and possibly Drakkhen too, come to think of it. Fortunately, this game makes far more sense than Eternam ever did. And doesn't have the outdoor 3D sequences either.

Turok

Erudite
This remind me when i was a child and see how my cousin play on his computer.

Bring more :D

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Awesome LP Ghostdog! Maybe it is just me, but on your last update, all the pictures bast the:

"That was a lovely read. If by any chance we're stupid enough to leave with the book... "

Are not loading for me? Everything else has been showing up fine.

Anyways good job and MOAR!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
All of the images have been uploaded to imageshack since the beginning of the LP. Everything showed right for me when I made the last update, but now I also can't see some pics. Maybe imageshack has been having problems the last few hours? Let's wait till tomorrow and see.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ghostdog said:
Vibalist said:
I remember watching Dagon with a friend where we both thought it sucked ass. None of us knew who Lovecraft was at the time. It was very b-movie-ish indeed.
Well I happened to catch the movie on TV one night and I was expecting to see a complete piece of crap , but it managed some times to produce a good horror atmosphere.

Unfortunately there must be very few movies based on Lovecraft's stories and most of them suck. They also say "Re-Animator" and "From Beyond" are loosely based on Lovecraft's stories. They seem to have been b-horror cult hits in the 80's, are they any good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHuY2wXTd0o
A black and white silent movie made in 2007, based on Lovecraft's Call of Cthulhu. Awesome stuff.

Turok

Erudite
I check every day for a update on this post :D

Too bad there is no update soo far :(

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Fuck, I've just returned home and I'm slightly drunk , but I can't say no to the Cthulhu crowd... :oops: I'll start it now, but expect it tomorrow noon, probably. All I can say is that it's going to a huge chapter, full of awesomeness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom