Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play: BGEE

Drew

Savant
As much as I enjoy reading all of the shit opinions and events on forums, I actually prefer to play games.
So, I'm going to play games and share my experiences with you, through screenshots and written text.

If I manage to stay active enough, I will plan on doing BG2EE, as well.

Now, about the playthrough.

I am aware that Baldur's Gate is neither an obscure gem nor a game with anything hugely unique. I also know that it is rather divisive, with some people loving the grand sense of adventure and others hating the writing or low level D&D combat. Overall, I enjoy Baldur's Gate, and as a first let's play for me, I thought that playing a game I had played before but not to death would be a good starting point.

I am playing Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition through Steam, and as such using whatever version of that is "up to date" as of this post (Feb. 26, 2014). This is going to be a vanilla playthrough, I'm not particularly interested in modding games. I am going to be using steam's screenshot feature to help track my progress. I am currently playing on my laptop, as my desktop's SSD through some read/write errors in my face, and as such in a few weeks I may take an extended break from this to play a few games that I have been unable to play on my laptop. Also, I may be slow updating in a few weeks as midterms catch up with me, but I am not anticipating on abandoning this unless I get a large amount of feedback telling me to right fuck off.

I have played through BGEE before, several times. However, I am not particularly skilled at "gaming" D&D, nor am I out to break any speed records with this Let's Play. I'm just going to try an enjoy the game, from a slightly more in character perspective than my previous playthroughs, with as little metagaming as I can restrict myself to.

Now, onto the player character.

I decided to play a thief with this playthrough, as I have played a fighter and a mage before.
I did use console commands to give myself the maximum amount of attribute points, but I believe I left them in a reasonably "mortal" state.

j7na.jpg

cdt5.jpg

Hopefully that's believable enough, and without too many spelling and grammatical errors.
The only thing the character creation sheet is missing is one point in single weapon proficiency, and another point in Scimitar usage.

And so, onto our adventure.

olsy.jpg

Drew

Savant
jw9x.jpg
: I guess I should purchase some equipment, shouldn't I? I don't really know what I'll need, so I'll just grab the basics: A weapon and something sturdier to wear.

syre.png

jw9x.jpg
: You always were the big kidder, Winthrop. That gets funnier very nearly every time I hear it. Well, perhaps, not quite so often.

amun.png

jw9x.jpg
: Sure, what do you have?

8bab.png

jw9x.jpg
: A ninjato and a vest of the studded leather would do me fine, I suppose.

qvxg.png

jw9x.jpg
: Hmm, Firebead Elvenhair certainly looks flustered. He always brought me stories that he had acquired from far off lands. Perhaps I should see what's bothering him.

kec3.png

jw9x.jpg
: Just missing a scroll? Now that's not too bad. I certainly have time for that.

cj26.png

jw9x.jpg
: Nearly running me over before I could even begin to look for you. Humph. I'm sure if it was actually that important Gorion would have told me why we needed to leave.

cnjp.png

jw9x.jpg
: What kind of evil could befall me here in the keep? I suppose once we leave, something could come up, but Gorion is rather powerful, and has many friends outside of here. Regardless, it is a nice gesture. I'll be on my way, now.

tadu.png

jw9x.jpg
: I was just looking to say goodbye to Phlydia, but I suppose I can help her find her book. She is always absentminded. Just east of here, you say? Hmm... Perhaps someone saw it about and brought it into the Priest's Quarters.

we3w.png

jw9x.jpg
: A man I have never seen before, roaming the priests quarters? Odd. Yes, I am the ward of Gorion. What can I do for you?

w92b.png

uhh8.png

jw9x.jpg
: What is the meaning of this? Being attacked in my own home? Maybe I do need to see Gorion, right away.

kw7j.png

jw9x.jpg
: Oh, Parda! There was a man in there, he smelled like the stables, and he... and he tried to kill me, it was horrible.

x9pr.png

jw9x.jpg
: I really need to hurry to Gorion. He should be told of this. Although, stopping for a second at the church to regain my composure isn't a bad idea.

7ceg.png

jw9x.jpg
: Of course, Imoen wants to talk. Gorion seems to be expecting me to talk to her, however. I guess I can trust her to not try to kill me, at least.

3qd0.png

jw9x.jpg
: I'm afraid I cannot chat today, little one. My foster father wishes me to prepare for a journey, but will not say to where.

v5b5.png

jw9x.jpg
: There is no way you can. Gorion would never allow it.

6gfa.png

jw9x.jpg
: That was... strange. I guess I might ask Gorion what she was talking about.

vfh8.png

jw9x.jpg
: Please, father, tell me where we will be going.

x0n8.png

jw9x.jpg
: Then, I guess I am as prepared as I will get. I'm ready to go now.

ry8v.png

edlb.png

jw9x.jpg
: Far into the night, we wandered eastwards, not bothering to rest, and moving at a surprising pace for an old man. I suppose he had his magic, but...

8p30.png

jnf7.png

bodb.png

7f5c.png

mroe.png

ji31.png

jw9x.jpg
: D-d-... Dead? It... it can't be. This can't be. I... I must be dreaming. This must just be a horrible, terrible, dream. But it's only a dream. When I wake, it will all be over. Gorion will be... Gorion will be fine, and pestering me to get to my chores and not to go running into the country side. Yes, that's it. Just a dream. Just a dream. Just a dream.

vdgx.png

jw9x.jpg
: All just a dream. All just a dream. A very lifelike dream. I'm just stuck here, for a while, that's all. I'll wake up tomorrow. Just a dream, just a dream.

cz32.png

jw9x.jpg
: This is all just a dream, right? Just a dream? How could this be real. Of course it's a dream. How would you leave? How would you have gotten out? How could you know where we were going? How could you have known? Gorion didn't even tell me. So it's just a dream.

8r9u.png

jw9x.jpg
: I... Oh, Imoen! This is not a dream at all, is it? What are we going to do? How are we going to live? What do we do?

dv6c.png
: We should probably try to meet his friends at the Inn. He said if you ever got separated to go there, right? They'll know what to do.

jw9x.jpg
: I guess that makes sense. But, I'd like to get his body. He doesn't deserve to be left out like that.

So, Imoen has joined the party.
hupn.png

A second thief with high intelligence. Will probably dual class her into a mage.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
does she like anal????
I'd assume not. Unless there's a spell in the Realms for some magical anal lube. Then, maybe.

A Grease spell covers a material surface with a slippery layer of a fatty, greasy nature. Any creature entering the area or caught in it when the spell is cast must save vs. spell or slip, skid, and fall. Those who successfully save can reach the nearest non-greased surface by the end of the round. Those who remain in the area are allowed a saving throw each round until they escape the area. The DM should adjust saving throws by circumstance; for example, a creature charging down an incline that is suddenly greased has little chance to avoid the effect, but its ability to exit the affected area is almost assured! The spell can also be used to create a greasy coating on an item--a rope, ladder rungs, weapon handle, etc. Material objects not in use are always affected by this spell, while creatures wielding or employing items receive a saving throw vs. spell to avoid the effect. If the initial saving throw is failed, the creature immediately drops the item. A saving throw must be made each round the creature attempts to use the greased item. The caster can end the effect with a single utterance; otherwise, it lasts for three rounds plus one round per level. The material component of the spell is a bit of pork rind or butter.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Nice to see someone doing the Enhanced Edition, with the new content included. :salute:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
One suggestion: put all the screenshots in a spoiler tag, in order to make it easier to scroll through the page.
Anyway, good job so far and I'm looking forward to updates.

Siora said:
But, I'd like to get his body.

:hmmm:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good luck with this, I'm hoping to see regular updates.

Already too late for that, I guess? :troll:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
We have vanilla BG, solo BG, ironman BG's of various types, and BG's with a lot of added/mod content. So at least go for a weird/unusual party to spice things up a little.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
GarfunkeL, I took the liberty of copying your party suggestions from the "So, Baldur's Gate" thread:

Fun party groups to try out in BG1!

Shortie-party:

Alora, Yeslick, Quayle, Kagain, Montaron and Tiax. You can drop Tiax if you have Alora (for traps&locks) or vice versa. PC should probably be a gnome mage as otherwise your Arcane power is pretty low - but not an absolute requirement. Yeslick and Kagain will kill each other.

Arcane-party:

Xzar, Edwin, Xan, Quayle, Dynaheir. PC should probably be a mage-thief. Quayle can sort out the healing. This is a quite challenging run as only healing comes from Qayle and necromancy. Edwin and Dynaheir will kill each other.

Divine-party:

Ajantis, Yeslick, Branwen, Quayle, Tiax and Viconia. Tiax can handle traps, Ajantis&Yeslick will be the brawn along Branwen and Quayle has few arcane spells, so PC can be either another paladin, a cleric-mage or whatever.

Hippy Faggot-party:

Coran, Kivan, Xan, Viconia, Khalid and Jaheira. Coran has thievery, Viconia or Jaheira can do healing, Xan has arcane spells, so PC can be, again, pretty much anything. Kivan and Viconia will kill each other.

Sneaky Ninjas-party:

Imoen, Kivan, Safana, Alora, Montaron, Tiax. Probably best idea to drop Tiax and make PC a better cleric-thief. Point is that the entire party can sneak. Sneak through the game!

Ultimate Party of Ultimate Challenge:

Faldorn, Eldoth, Skie, Garrick, Tiax. All are fairly shitty in what they are supposed to be doing. PC should probably have shitty stats and be a third bard, just for laughs.

Obviously, mods that affect character classes might fuck these up. Mods that prevent party member from initiating combat with each other are a must. Unless you want to lose a party member in the middle of Durlag's Tower or something.

Note that if you are going to recruit Yeslick in the Cloakwood Mines, you need to bring him suitable equipment with you, as his "quest" to destroy the mines doesn't give you time to run around shopping before facing Davaeorn.

It's kinda a shame that the number of recruitable NPC's was dropped in BG2, meaning that such theme-parties are quite difficult, if not impossible, to run. There's 1 dwarf, 1 gnome and 1 halfling in BG2, for example.

PC as a fighter-cleric dwarf, Kagain, Montaron, Yeslick, the halfling thief-chick and Quayle. With BG1NPC-Project, it was hilarious. Though you need the tweak-thing that prevents party-members from fighting, as otherwise Yeslick and Kagain will kill each other.

Was surprising effective as well, had far fewer problems than I had with my "harem-party" (PC mage/cleric (should have been fighter instead), Imoen, Viconia, Dynaheir, that crazy Druid bitch, Safana), which had some serious problems in late-game thanks to SCS.

So PC, Viconia, Dynaheir, Faldorn, Safana and Shar-Teel. Faldorn and Shar-Teel and Viconia were melee/casters while Safana was ranged and PC and Dynaheir slinger/casters. Not too bad early-to-mid game but late game BG and all of TotSC were a pain, since SCS beefed up the encounters and my melee prowess was so shitty. Viconia and Shar-Teel have really crap CON, so not enough precious hitpoints.

Drew

Savant
Go and look for the new EE NPCs as soon as you can.

I'm not planning on doing an evil playthrough here, so I won't be using Dorn.
Rashaad I'll interact with, but honestly monks are just boring at low levels.
I will be picking up Neera, though.

Also, I could simply record a video Let's Play, that would likely be easier and more enjoyable for me, if that's acceptable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom