Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play an Angel of Marksmanship in DoomRL

OK, well, had a recording hiccup. The good news is, it's not as bad as I thought at the time. The bad news is there's a small chunk missing, I think. Not really sure what happened there. It's possible I accidentally hit my recording key or something. Although, I cocked up Hell's Armory pretty badly. I actually would have been fairly happy simply recapping how bad it was here. Unfortunately for me, I did get it recorded. Anyway, there are literally a fair number of ways I could have avoided at least 90% of the damage I took. Gah. All I have to say is, fuck Arachnatrons. Well, that's not really all I have to say, but that is still the strongest feeling. I recommend Damned Registrations pads either his desk or his forehead, I foresee him facepalming massively at the events within. I KNOW I DONE FUCKED UP MANG. *sob*

Preview:
q7s9D.jpg

Part 5A: Oh God This is a Dangerous Spot
A general hamming up of Hell's Armory. The level before that with its assorted death trap of acid and acid barrels wasn't pretty either. If there was a picture of my scout, he would likely be horribly disfigured from acid. Also, a hamming up of recording as well. Normally I like ham. It's pretty tasty. But not this time. This time, I got hammed. Possibly by a spider. And maaaaybe my own mistakes. Maybe.

Part 5B: A Good Blow to the Groin
Hell's Armory was rough. My scout barely survived the attempt. And I thought all my video was kaput. Things were not looking good. Had to dig down, fight throught the pain, and get revenge on the Halls of Carnage! And finally, the RNG blesses us. Also, I hear, phase devices are pretty neato. In a totally unrelated incident, I neatly demonstrate how to blunder into a large (and loud) group of demons that hunger for souls to consume. Right.

So, to recap a little: there was a bunch of stupid shit leading up to that, but an Arachnatron almost got me AGAIN. Narrow escapes friends. Despite my best efforts to bullrush myself to a quick death. Should have known better.

But still. Survived. Still kicking. Still killing. Maybe a little poorer. Maybe a little more beat up. But also a little bit more pissed. A little bit cannier. And a little bit meaner. DOWN. WE. GO.

Before:
ocvci.jpg

After:
nKXg3.jpg

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Nice to see you lose half your medpacks for no good reason at all. Things looked like they might get a bit dull there with all the large med packs sitting around. :troll:

Take care with that enviroboots/red armor combo. Both of those slow you a lot, and added together probably make you slower than default speed even with hellrunner. Remember to check your speed on the character sheet.

Don't worry, I'm not good or experienced enough for a boring run. I think I have a problem sometimes where my brain just goes, "fuck you" and I sit there clicking on a guy trading shots for no good reason. And yeah, normally I try to only use the enviroboots just to move across hazardous terrain. Sometimes I forget though.

Also, BONUS MS PAINT UPDATE:
ZVAKv.png

Damned Registrations

Yeah, I do the whole 'fuck careful, lets manfight!' thing a lot too. Ironman helps a lot there, gives you the extra hp to realize its a bad idea BEFORE you die. Intuition too, because then you hardly ever see who you're murdering.

Another tip thats a bit more relevant now that you're a bit deeper: invincibility orbs last for a certain number of actions, not time units. So only reload when you're completely empty, take slow actions at your leisue (like reloading a chaingun or rocket launcher) and don't both running.

Renegen

Arcane
First video: I thought you were really done for when you were sandwiched between those 2 hell knights and the acid, great recovery.

Second video: 11:09 :lol:. Nice handing of the situation. The Enviroboots were an awesome find, I don't think I've ever come across them. I actually think you should pop a few agility mods on this bitch and just use it all the time. In hell levels, there is lava and lava barrels everywhere and since your strength is to be in the open dodging stuff, it makes sense to wonder across the lava when it's more beneficial and slug it out there with monsters. Additionally, you could use lava barrels more strategically to block movement. The boots are really huge.

Also you can pick up the 10mm ammo drums. Whenever you are low on ammo, just press the use item key (shift + u) and then use the ammo drum, it will create 250 10mm ammo.

Destroid I can try messing with my Virtual Dub settings. I've got the raw videos already done though. I made a mistake and followed some guide where the guy said to record in Fraps and then record at half size (which for windowed doomrl is 400x300), which is nice because it saves lots of space. And then there were some instructions to resize and apply sharpen filters. Turns out, still looks like super low res stuff, so I sort of gave up. Next video will be resized and sharpened to 640x480, though, so there will be an option to at least view in 480p. I think it looks slightly better. Let me know if it's any easier to see. If I could do it over I would just record in "full" resolution. Rookie mistake, for sure.

Damned Registrations :salute: More good tips I didn't know about.

Renegen Thank you sir! And that is another quality tip about the ammo drums. I had that idea but didn't know you could simply unload the ammo chain. You will see this resolved in possibly the most roundabout way possible in a bit.

Part 6: I'm a Big Boy I Can Handle It
Having narrowly escaped death by incompetence, it is time to face the Cyberdemon! And his ridiculous spawning position. Fortunately, in the right area, dodge turns out to be OP against him. After that, I present an illustration of why you should seriously consider paying attention to level messages. Also, finally pick up Gun Kata! This makes me happy. Hell will require much of my scout. As you can tell, I'm very skittish about Revenants. Splash damage, homing rockets, bullet resistant. A deadly combination against characters whose only damage output is through bullets and survivability depends on speed and dodge.

Renegen

Arcane
Good run, I need to watch your videos as that's the only Doom RL fix I can have except the snail pace of my LP. Also, Goddamn Revenants are resistant to bullets, I'm crying inside too thinking you have to take these on with pistols.

edit: SerratedBiz, you should LP Doom RL with no fear. There are not enough Doom RL LPs in the playground. Let's be part of something special.

Part 7: Hiding in the Lava
That massive stockpile of ammo in the begging is now making more sense. Though being able to unload ammo chains (in the most awkward way possible) will be pretty helpful. I also forget I picked up Intuition and the RNG is kind enough to let my finally finish a second speedloader pistol. Then it's time to head into the Vaults and hope for a lucky pistol or armor. Turns out, enviroboots OP. No revenants yet...

Renegen

Arcane
Ammo chain unloading, hahhahahaha.

You got hit so many times in the vault I would've just raged and end up killing myself. The vault is incredibly frustrating. You can press the . key to just wait.

Preview:
KGQuA.jpg

Part 8: Rife with Indecision
Sorry the mic audio got a little desynced forward somehow. Anyway, SPEND MORE TIME UNLOADING THE AMMO CHAIN HOLY BALLS. Then it's time for TONS OF SKULLS. SKUUUUULLS. Awesome. And then, a great level: Revenant AND Archviles. Dodgin' some Archvile fire blasts, and then eating Revenant homing rockets to the face, FML.
BUT, I finally find a special pistol.

Damned Registrations

*finds best pistol in the game, declares it sucks*

:lol:

Oh, also, in the interest of the LP not ending here, I heartily recommend wearing that energy vest in there.

Renegen

Arcane
Hell yeah, great update. I ducked and awed so many times you were close to death. Even with tracking map it was hard to kill the Revenants. I especially like the first 3 minutes of doing nothing but planning inventory, ah Doom RL.

Damned Registrations

Ammo chain takes up one of your two weapon slots. You can still use the quick weapon aspect of juggler however. (I think it's the mousewheel for tiles?)

You can use the mousewheel to scroll through your weapons, or use the number keys like in Doom (ie 3 pulls up the shotgun). It's not an instant swap, but I think it's faster than selecting from inventory. Anyway, dual gunning with it is out, but with the revelation that you can simply unload an ammo pack instead of my song and dance routine, it really shouldn't matter.

Part 9: Now They're Toasted
So, will I figure out how the blaster works? What about the medical armor? Are these kinds of questions bad signs for the LP's longevity? What if I admit I don't remember what the lava element does? And then point out now I know... but not necessarily in time.

I do use the energy vest, but I forgot about it at first, and the red armor + enviroboots combo doesn't do me many favors in the dodging department. My initial plan was to use the envirosuit in combination with the tactical boots, but ended up not bothering. I might have reconsidered if, at the time, I had known that when an item or powerup is about to expire, the name of it changes brightness. Handy, that. Also, I was rolling through Damned_Registration's LP, and noticed one of his helpful notes was that certain enemies will use armor, making them a lot tougher. I'm not sure if they can pick up and use armor like they can phase packs and med kits, or if they just spawn with it. Anyway, that's why a lot of the enemies in the pits are so tough, though at the time I hadn't really put it together.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom