Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play Aleshar: World of Ice

Johannes

Arcane
IIRC a reliable way to kill the Caerbaennen is to use the spell that pushes him back, throw him at walls repeatedly with that, he won't resist that shit at least not all the time.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You gotta be pretty stealthy when you introduce yourself to everyone as a resistance spy...

She's like the Archer of the Aleshar Resistance Movement.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I finished the game as mage (did some fighting also ofc), this game has probably best difficulty and combat i ever saw.

Also i think some stats never rise, you can raise Str but you cant raise Int, i think.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Update 2014: Trollhammaren

rock_troll.png

Here we are, in the frozen wastes of Aleshar once more... Well, not exactly, since our previous update left us with a huge cliffhanger ending in an unknown location. What wonders will we see this time?

In the previous episode...

Fighting vicious cultists and demons has given our hero considerable character growth.

aleshar_043.png

aleshar_044.png

The last we saw, I'd escaped the Citadel of Wisdom through a mysterious portal...

aleshar_012.png

We've emerged in a dark cavern.

aleshar_015.png

We're surrounded by curious pale basement dwellers. Thankfully they don't seem to be hostile.

aleshar_014.png

[T]alking to them isn't very fruitful, they all have the same story to tell: evil trolls from some cRPG forum stole their "light" (probably euphemism for some sort of degenerate drug), they want it back. They additionally imply that by returning their "light" to them, I'll get my freedom back.

Oh well, I'll take any excuse to kill some bad guys.

Soundtrack for the LP:

aleshar_017.png

Adventurous moment, I have to spot a secret door in order to progress. Presumably some sort of a muleman safety procedure or something.

aleshar_018.png

Through the door...

aleshar_016.png

...and down the stairs. Seems easy enough.

aleshar_022.png

In the second floor, we find a bunch of Mulemen engaged in desperate fight against a Rock Troll. So far it hasn't been going too well for them.

aleshar_023.png

Seeing me joining the fray, the Mulemen show their gratitude by running away, leaving me fight the troll alone. Thanks guys!

aleshar_025.png

Luckily the Troll decides to chase after the fleeing basement dwellers, giving me a chance to poke at it with my sword.

aleshar_026.png

Unfortunately a second troll joins the fight.

aleshar_027.png

Oh well, nothing a little bit of magic won't fix.

aleshar_028.png

Smells like bacon.

aleshar_029.png

More mulemen getting pummelled. I decide to give them a hand.

aleshar_031.png

Turns out it was a bad idea.

aleshar_035.png

Try #2. Also, remember that you can't save while in dungeons... which means that I have to start from the very beginning of the caves each time I die...

aleshar_038.png

I have stubbornly decided to train my swordsmanship against the trolls.

aleshar_040.png

It's a really, really bad idea. The trolls hide is so tough, that even though I score dozens of hits against them, they're still not even scratched. And when their attack hits you...

aleshar_041.png

With a sword, it practically always takes a critical hit to kill them...

aleshar_039.png

And even if you win, you're probably losing. No amount of magic will grow my hand back. FUCK!

aleshar_035.png

Try #3.

aleshar_053.png

As you go deeper in the tunnels, the number of trolls increases.

aleshar_055.png

Even if you keep killing them left and right, they'll swarm you as you try retreating.

I'm literally running the risk of getting overwhelmed here.

aleshar_057.png

It's time to get creative. First, let's kill the troll behind our back.

aleshar_058.png

Next, I'll need to buy some time for recovering from all the magic use...

aleshar_060.png

There we go! I could've achieved the same with a simple stun, but this high level charm spell is permanent effect. This way I get more bang for the buck, while with stun I would've needed to recast it several times.

aleshar_061.png

While my new best friend keeps the rest of the trolls from getting to me, I'll get a chance to rest.

aleshar_062.png

Awright, now that I am fresh, time to clear some space. Bye bye friend!

aleshar_063.png

Unfortunately as soon as I am done killing the trolls, more appear from both directions...

aleshar_064.png

Really now?

aleshar_065.png

Time to conserve my shots by using simple single-rune magic.

aleshar_066.png

Even though I've not taken a decent hit, they still manage to score occasional crit with their javelins.

aleshar_067.png

Burn 'em...

aleshar_068.png

...fry 'em

aleshar_069.png

... and more trolls

aleshar_070.png

Okay now it is starting to get silly.

aleshar_071.png

The trolls are big and slow, which gives me a chance to line them up for a shot...

aleshar_072.png

The thing about lightning bolts and streams of molten fire, sometimes they miss or only do damage. Thankfully this time around only one straggler is left behind.

aleshar_073.png

The bastard tries to get me with his javelin, but that's the only chance he'll get, since I still have juice left.

aleshar_074.png

More than twenty trolls dead.

And we're only getting started.

aleshar_075.png

The good thing about all this power use, my control skill is rapidly increasing.

aleshar_076.png

The deeper we go, the more unfair it gets. And every moment I spend resting, the more of those buggers spawn.

aleshar_079.png

Time to try something new...

Obviously that doesn't work, the big fat heavy trolls are almost impossible to push around.

aleshar_082.png

O.K., I'll cover my ass with a stun...

aleshar_083.png

Time to pop some moles!

aleshar_084.png

Well fuck, that wasn't impressive at all.

aleshar_085.png

If fire fails, try lightning.

aleshar_086.png

Fuck. The deeper levels start spawning chiefs alongside normal trolls. Those buggers are brutally tough and hit even harder than normal trolls do.

aleshar_089.png

Seriously though, sometime the chiefs are simply absurd. This one took good six tries to kill.

aleshar_092.png

And fuck if more friends don't show up. Oh well, they'll fry like the rest.

Finally victorious, I triumphantly round a corner and...

aleshar_095.png

FUCK YOU! Due to the LOS of the game, you can't see behind corners. A single rock troll chief happened to be waiting for me there, the end result being obvious.

aleshar_035.png

Try #4.

aleshar_099.png

Did I mention that you can't save while in dungeons?

aleshar_100.png

The deeper you go, the more and more Rock Troll Chief's you meet.

aleshar_103.png

Time to introduce something new. This seemingly simple two-rune magic is the most dreaded weapon in your toolbox: Balefire.

aleshar_105.png

Simple enough. You combine a weave of spirit with fire, then send the resulting stream of bright fire at your foes...

aleshar_104.png

...the ones that fail to dodge, cease to exist, like their very threads were erased from the tapestry of tim-- *cough*

Balefire is as overpowered as magic goes. It is the endmagic. But there is a reason to avoid using it, aside the dirty feeling it leaves afterwards...

aleshar_106.png

Yeah, even with my legendary power control, a single use nearly explodes my heart in my chest.

aleshar_107.png

Even though it may seem effortless in the screen-shots, I am actually getting rekt pretty brutally here.

aleshar_108.png

I'm playing as unfair as I can, but the trolls simply give me no room to recover.

aleshar_109.png

I can kill a good twenty-thirty trolls with ease, but I'll need dozens of turns to recover after that...

aleshar_110.png

Oh boy... at least I am not heroically wetting myself this time around.

aleshar_097.png

I made it, but fuck if that wasn't close. Thankfully no limbs were crippled, everything healed nicely. Though the left hand is now at an odd angle...

aleshar_111.png

Hundreds of dead trolls later, I spot something interesting.

aleshar_113.png

I wonder what's the point of th-

aleshar_114.png

Oh.

aleshar_124.png

So this must be the light they wanted me to find.

aleshar_116.png

And this must be the big bad troll.

aleshar_118.png

Pfft. So what? I've killed hundreds of them already, the only thing different is that he has a name. I'll just stun him and stab him to death!

aleshar_120.png

See? This is eas- OH FUCK!

aleshar_121.png

I don't feel so good.

aleshar_122.png

aleshar_123.png

Uh...

aleshar_035.png

Try #5.

aleshar_128.png

And here we go again... The fuck, who's throwing javelins at me?

aleshar_125.png

Oh... it seems we have spectators.

aleshar_126.png

Piss off, sods.

aleshar_127.png

aleshar_129.png

aleshar_130.png

And he is still standing!

aleshar_131.png

aleshar_132.png

Well... fuck.

aleshar_134.png

This isn't going well at all.

aleshar_135.png

FULL POWER!

aleshar_136.png

The fucking FUCK?

I'm dead.

aleshar_036.jpg

Try #6.

aleshar_138.png

Maybe I can push him out of the way?

aleshar_139.png

No, that doesn't work... I had to use full power, so I was about to die from exhaustion anyway...

aleshar_035.png

Try #7.

Let's think out of the box for a moment. What haven't I tried yet?

aleshar_140.png

...stealth!

aleshar_141.png

Holy fuck, this might actually work!

aleshar_142.png

Wow!

aleshar_143.png

The invisibility spell is just about to wear out. But a simple stun on the other hand...

aleshar_144.png

HAHA! FUCK YOU! I just bypassed the most overpowered boss fight ever. I could make my way back and return the stone now, killing Ragfag was optional.

But we're not gonna do that, now are we?

Try #8.

In all of my years with the game, this is the only way I've found to be effective here. Extremely anticlimactic, but what can one do?

aleshar_145.png

Simply use balefire.

aleshar_146.png

And he is gone. Presuming that you survive the exhaustion, you've won.

Now, remember three things: 1.) you have never had to use balefire before, 2.) the game doesn't give any sort of hint about his weaknesses 3.) if you die, you have to start from the beginning of the three level dungeon...

aleshar_147.png

Damn, that brought back bad memories... time to relax by killing some defenceless trolls.

aleshar_148.png

Oh, and did I mention that you don't teleport back to start once the quest is done?

aleshar_149.png

Oh no, you have to fight your way back.

aleshar_151.png

Finally, the quest is done. The basement-dwellers have their trinket back and I am rewarded by... Well, three lines of dialogue. Whatevz!

aleshar_154.png

A new passage has opened.

aleshar_153.png

And the way out is revealed...

aleshar_155.png

Ah! To feel the freshness of the frozen air, to glance upon the soaring skies and to be free ag-

OH FFS!

aleshar_156.png

The ambushing snow giants will be taught a lesson they won't remember... since they'll be dead.

aleshar_157.png

I'm wearing light armour, wielding a bow and equipped with unlimited amount of arrows. Can you see where this will go?

aleshar_159.png

After a few minutes of dancing around the giants, they're both dead.

aleshar_162.png

So where the hell did we end up in? That hut looks mighty familiar...

aleshar_163.png

aleshar_164.png

aleshar_165.png

Don't worry old man, you won't go unavenged.

Exiting his hut, I am ambushed by some petty thieves.

aleshar_166.png

Buddies, you chose the wrong damn moment.

aleshar_167.png

I think about switching armour to something heavier.

aleshar_168.png

But I realize that Tanned Leather is actually stronger than this junk D'uh!

aleshar_169.png

There is a shrine nearby, so I reckon I should as the old man wished.

aleshar_170.png

Yada yada...

aleshar_171.png

We've come a long distance, you and me.

aleshar_172.png

Now, what about this "shrinegate" magic that the seer told me before dying...?

aleshar_173.png

Aha! It literally teleports you to the entrance of a shrine! How handy.

aleshar_174.png

I wish I had this ten hours ago.

aleshar_175.png

aleshar_176.png

Good, but not good enough.

aleshar_177.png

Protip: try casting a few spells and re-enter the shrine tile... sometimes you're actually quite close to a second "level up".

aleshar_178.png

One thing I really, really hate about this game...

aleshar_179.png

Is the fact that the shrine altar of each shrine...

aleshar_180.png

Is on the third floor...

aleshar_181.png

All this fucking pointless walking, what is this, Oblivion?

aleshar_182.png

At last... I am... complete!

aleshar_183.png

O.K., now to the nearest town... finding it should be trivial with the help of my trusty sextant.

aleshar_184.png

Oh for the fuck's sake...

aleshar_185.png

Anywayz, here we are, time to do the adventurer thing: harass random villager about legends of treasure!

aleshar_186.png

aleshar_187.png

Since I stumbled on the village smith, time to upgrade my armour. Chain shirt is not the best in protection, but it isn't the most cumbersome either.

Oh well, back to talking to random people in the hopes of getting some clues for my quest.

aleshar_188.png

aleshar_189.png

aleshar_190.png

aleshar_191.png

aleshar_192.png

aleshar_193.png

aleshar_194.png

aleshar_195.png

So a magic sword resides in the ruins of an old castle, in the middle of Aleshar...

Before I leave, let's have a chat with my resistance buddies for some post-mission feedback!

aleshar_197.png

Awry? Well fuck you too!

Screw this gay village anyway, I'm off to the legendary city of Hillcrest...

SnowWanderer_tvdh.jpg

To be continued...

Another year, another update. Will this LP ever see it's end? Will I manage to beat the final boss without cheating? Will Grimoire be released before my next update arrives? Stay tuned and find out!

Happy New Year, newfags and old baggy cunts!

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
:necro: It keeps coming! This LP never truly dies! Hopefully you're close to the end.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
I should be, though that single "dungeon" took a fuckload of time. Tons of places I haven't visited yet, but they are mostly all optional.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I finished this game in 2 weeks (2-3 hours per day). Did use walkthough though.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Update 2015: Quick Succession of Repeated in-and-out Motions

Having victoriously emerged from the molemen's caverns, I had set out on a quest to acquire teh stronkest dank magix.

Rumours had led me to the city of Hillcrest.

aleshar_000.png

Having finally arrived, I proceed to interrogate the residents.

aleshar_002.png

A few talks are enough to reveal the truth to me.

aleshar_005.png

This town clearly has abandoned the emperor's light and fallen to the taint of :decline:

aleshar_013.png

There are even Crispys here.

Shuddering in disgust, I abandon this town of heretics and filth and set out for a new location instead.

Out in the wilds, I meet other travellers.

aleshar_014.png

The friendly chaps propose a gentlemanly joust.

aleshar_015.png

Afterwards they gift me with rations for the road. Thanks chaps!

aleshar_018.png

Another encounter with a troll proves to be more tiresome.

aleshar_019.png

I might need some medical attention now...

Oh well, thankfully we're near my next target: the city of Sanctuary.

aleshar_017.png

A quick visit to the local inn already proves that this place is much more to my liking.

aleshar_020.png

aleshar_021.png

Then for the healing.

aleshar_022.png

aleshar_023.png

Good as new!

...well, almost. Did I mention that crippled limbs will cause a permanent stat penalty when healed? Thankfully head can't get that status, otherwise my character's already addled intellect would be non-existent by now...

Oh well, time for some more random banter.

aleshar_025.png

aleshar_026.png

aleshar_027.png

Hmm... now this sounds like the guy that I was looking for.

aleshar_028.png

aleshar_029.png

aleshar_030.png

aleshar_031.png

aleshar_032.png

I have to say, these are some oddly specific 'legends'...

aleshar_033.png

Pfft, the cults secrets are not relevant to me any more.

Time to find out how how accurate the guy's information is.

aleshar_034.png

Right on the money!

The place seems empty to me...

aleshar_042.png

Wowza! Now if only I had some use for all that money...!

aleshar_036.png

Oh hi what's go-

aleshar_038.png

Oh...

aleshar_037.png

Oh!

aleshar_039.png

Oh hi death screen, it has been a while!

aleshar_035.png

Let's pretend that never happened.

(due to technicalz izzue, will post the rest of the update later, gotta maintain that post date man)

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If you click 'reply' you will see them in the editor. If you then refresh the page, you should be able to see them in the post itself.

I guess this has something to do with the hosting and how it deals with direct links. Imageshack.us doesn't seem to do it well.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Any tips on character generation?
The game sounds brutal, so I want to create a strong character.

Also, I assume the game rewards anti social behaviour (like sneaking around and stealing stuff from villagers) and that you are not supposed to be playing a goody two shoes?

EDIT: found some useful information at Abandonia, courtesy of Haba, I assume.

Last edited:

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
You can increase some stats and skill, but you cant increase some others.

You can increase Str and Skiing for example, but you cant increase Int.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Started playing this game myself, as an anti-social Hunter.
I've made it to the goblin cave containing the Ancient Tome, but it's rather frustrating that I can't save when every casting of a heal spell is gamble with your life. The only times my character has died has been after casting a Heal (Earth+Water at minimun power). The spell succeeds, but after a few rounds death occurs from exhaustion.
I wonder if higher Int and/or Con will help with this?
Or maybe I should restart with character who can buy and wield heavier armour?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Problem is that most of stats are not explained. How Int works? It affects spell power? Amount of spell cast? Speed of learning new skills?

I advise do some (little) fighting with weak enemies, so your Str and Con will rise by it.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I think Int governs starting (after visiting the Seer) Magic skills.
So maybe high Int and Con is most important, in order to not die from exhaustion?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I created a new character with "Talented" in Con and "Promising" in Int, and the first time he cast a Healing spell, being "Fresh" at the time of casting, he keeled over from overexhaustion.
Bloody annoying!

Also, when killing 1+ Acolytes in Snowhold to prove yourself to The Resistance, there's a chance of the villagers turning on you, even if you kill all four acolytes. This means the game is probably unwinnable if that happens, since the Bard from whom you need info also turns hostile. Unwinnable unless you meta game or search every square of Alesha, that is.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Wow, this game even has in-fighting! That's a first (as of mid 1997) in a CRPG, if I'm not mistaken.
There was a Shade in the goblin cave. I later found its corpse and one Goblin Warrior corpse that was unaccounted for.
There's more to this game than I first thought.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom