Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play 7.62HC again, Total Eclipse of the Blue Sun[SSLP]

Hur Zwa

Novice
Use the HK11! It´s a killer! You have to fix the sight first though as it makes the weapon less accurate than without the scope at all (Same applies for the M4A1 iron sight) As it's supposed to be a 1x scope I made it a collimator and that works fine for that rifle. You could also swap the sight for an ordinary WR collimator. Anyway the HK11 is extremely fast and powerful. Ah, no wait! You are not allowed to buy ammo for it, aren't you? Life is cruel! You can still use the OICW though.

D_F_N

Novice
moar.jpg

R@S

Scholar
Cookie Eater, IceShade said he wanted the EOTech for the Crossfire, and I'm here to follow the instructions:)

Hur Zwa, I have fixed the irondsight values for the M4/M16 and others having the value 1 in the ADDONINFO file, but the G11 is not one of those. Would you mind explaining what's wrong with it?

D_F_N, sorry about the absence of updates, been too busy lately to spend time on what I want. I was planning on getting the next session out of the way tomorrow, and since HK and Geroj will be out of service I thought we could hire another sniper for a couple of days. Here's a list of possible candidates:

Lynx
Magic
Muerte
Reaper
Scope
Shadow
Sniper

Let me know if you have any preference, or any other mercs that could be fun to have on the team for a short while.

mondblut

Arcane
Here's a list of possible candidates:

Lynx
Magic
Reaper
Scope
Shadow
Sniper

Let me know if you have any preference, or any other mercs that could be fun to have on the team for a short while.

Whoa. They've plugged JA2 mercs into 762? If only this could have been done right out of the box, hah.

Reaper FTW.

Hur Zwa

Novice
How about...

Jack "Slowmo" Haddasch

Bio:
Lazyness dominated Slowmos life like no other characterstic. When things were out of his reach he ignored them totally just because it would be too much stress for him to move. At the age of 9 he almost starved to death when his parent left him home alone for a six day holiday. But Slowmo turned his drawback into a personal advantage. He learned to use a grappler and phones and two way radios. When he entered the national service of Canada they almost threw him out because he refused to move any more than it was absolutly necessary. But then they noticed how talented Slowmo was when he changed his grappler with a long ranged sniper rifle. His natural aversion against moving gave him also the necessary patience to wait for his victim until it enters the crosshair of his sniper rifle. After three years in the Canadian Special Forces he quit because his wish for a personal helicopter and pilot who should fly him to his sniper positions was rejected.

Preferred weaponry: Any loooooong range sniper rifle, a grappler

Pros: Very accurate sniper skills

Cons: Low stamina ("Man, we walked all the way from the car to here!!"), Low Intelligence

HP 100
EN 100
EYE 85
HRN 86
STR 65
STM 40
DXT 99
AGT 61
REA 71
INT 28
EXP 57
SHT 80
SNP 95
GFT 64
HWP 12
THR 41
HtH 26 (75 when equipped with a grappler)
CAM 89
SAP 57
MED 8
STH 89
LED 4
CHA 12
TRD 0
MEC 57

Most used phrase: "Sorry, I have a quite limited vocabulary!"

D_F_N

Novice
Come on mondblut, you need to play 7.62 with BSM mod!
yes there are a ton of mercs added from BE5 and JA. Our plan was to add every merc from JA, JADG, JA2, JA2UB, JA2WF and BE5 but we have about 70 "mercs" that didnt make it. All with their pics, stats , money values, background and of course voices and texts. Though we couldnt add the quirkiness of each character so they are less colorful. (i really hope i find some free time to do the rest and enough strenght to nag R@S into adding them).
I dont think it could have been done "out of the box" since that would mean Apeiron buing JA rights.

Back to the topic, i vote Reaper AND Slowmo. Leave BNC back at base or roll with 7 mercs for a while.

R@S

Scholar
The new mercs has been added to the team, and I've made some preliminary load-outs:

Latest_Mercs.jpg

Let me know if anything should be changed before I start playing, I hope I'll have a couple of hours to do that before I leave for work tomorrow.

IceShade

Novice
Cookie Eater, IceShade said he wanted the EOTech for the Crossfire, and I'm here to follow the instructions:)

Well.. uh.. I can't actually remember that, but game-wise there's not much difference between a reddot and an eotech/holo sight thing, AFAIK. So I don't care! :D

Actually it does. Range of sights influence how good they are. Red dots are 150m while EOTech is 110m. Red dots do give a noticable increase in snapshot accuracy over distance. Though in the Crossfire, it's only significance is an extra nearly 10% in accuracy when snapshooting at 50 meters. Not really much beyond that since you'll be aim firing then.

Same reason why the M21 sniper platform, though at accuracy 88 and the attack speed of virtually the same as the default M14, cannot be used for proper long ranged sniping. The only scope that fits that gun is set to 300 metres (which translate to about 3.5-4x, about the same as the first PSO scopes at 340m), although the description of the scope says it is a variable 3.5x to 10x scope with 600-800m effective range and maximum of up to 1000m. This makes sniping with that gun less accurate than if I were to slap an ACOG (350m) on it.

Here's the M21 scaled against the battle proven G3SG.
Qwbu1.jpg
NAY1X.jpg

mondblut

Arcane
I dont think it could have been done "out of the box" since that would mean Apeiron buing JA rights.

That's exactly what I was hinting at, heh. And then, we ended up with Back in Asshole. Such a shame.

Come on mondblut, you need to play 7.62 with BSM mod!

Some day I definitely will, 5 years is just about right to detach myself. Would be fun to see what you guys did with it :)

R@S

Scholar
As for Kestrel, the Crossfire is probably the best. STANAGs, Eotech, and a masterkey so the USAS-12 isn't necessary. Saves on weight.
I think you did. I just love it when my memory doesn't fail me, don't you?:P Now that I read it again, I get the impression you were going for Pictinny Rail, not EOTech.

I'll try to get the next session ready by tonight, haven't had enough time to play all of it yet, but I might have some energy left when I get home from work.

IceShade

Novice
I never figured out how to properly read those diagrams. What is the "unit" for the vertical axis? The numbers are "obviously" meters, I guess?

And wouldn't the G3 take a lot longer to aim than the M21? Or is it the "same" because the angle is the same?

See, I never put too much thought into my snipers. I tend not to use them that often, because of how accurate and powerful they are. Too accurate and powerful for a game that tends to stay around 120 meters and less.

Hur Zwa

Novice
Hur Zwa, I have fixed the irondsight values for the M4/M16 and others having the value 1 in the ADDONINFO file, but the G11 is not one of those. Would you mind explaining what's wrong with it?
Can someone post the properties of the HK11 with the accuracy curves with and without the scope attached? It becomes clear then. I'm afraid I have no access to my computer atm.

I never figured out how to properly read those diagrams. What is the "unit" for the vertical axis? The numbers are "obviously" meters, I guess?
Basically vertical axis is chance out of 100% of hitting. Notice how there is only 4 quadrant. The game also balances the scopes just fine, since the scopes are scaled to the gun's base accuracy to start with. The scope can only make sniping's chance-to-hit closer to the gun's actual chance-to-hit at any given range. It does not make the gun any more accurate than it already is.

My gripe with the M21 scope is that it effectively converts the high accuracy of 87 that comes with the M21 into something that's inferior to G3SG, which has about 15 accuracy points less.

And wouldn't the G3 take a lot longer to aim than the M21? Or is it the "same" because the angle is the same?
Angle does nothing but restrict the sniper's field of fire. Thus the reason why using a sniper requires a spotter to first determine where the enemy is. The sniper can find the enemy just fine if his/her field of fire coincides with where the enemy is, but any other enemy outside that small cone will remain unnoticed.

And I think shooting time is skill and balance dependant. The listed rate of fire for a single shot only dictates how much time you must remain still after taking the shot before you can do anything else. If you manually cycle the action to take another shot, the timer is reset. But if you allow single shot until target is dead, the timer will have to finish before taking aim for the next shot commences.

R@S

Scholar
Sorry about not updating yesterday as I said I would, was too tired and didn't have enough screen shots for it. So I played another encounter and now have more than plenty, so I'll post it when I get home from work tonight, and this time I will.

I also got a notification from Photobucket about nearly reaching the limit for a free account, the good news is that it will reset in about a week. If I pace the updates I might avoid hitting the limit, like 2 or 3 updates in the coming week should manage that.

About the G11, I think the devs intended to have the sight for it built-in, so you shouldn't be able to remove it. At least that's what the files seems to suggest, and might be the reason for the awesome stats it gets when the sight is removed. I have always been very careful when changing stats for vanilla stuff, they knew far more about the game mechanics that I do.

Hur Zwa

Novice

Look at the accuracy curves. The curve for aiming with the scope is worse than aiming without scope. And when you remove the scope the curves improve.

R@S

Scholar
Session 24: Take a walk on the wild side
- Slavers at Noon - A Good Position is Worth 10 Mercs - Easy Pickings for Reaper - Another Ambush, Too Soon -
- Slowmo Finds a Good/Bad Spot - The Brock is Exposed - BNC Stops Two Advances - Man of the Match: Reaper -

They travel to the base and drop off Geroj and HK, then pick up the new recruits, Slowmo and Reaper.

S24_P01.jpg

Ambush!
The team divides into two groups, The Brock, Rob Yu and Reaper in Squad 1, BNC, Kestrel and Slowmo in Squad 2.

S24_P02kopiera.jpg

The Brock encounters the first slaver, a burst from his MP5 disarms him.

S24_P03.jpg

Another one gets caught in the fire and drops to the ground.

S24_P04.jpg

Reaper side-steps to get a clear shot and gets suppressed, he is forced to withdraw out of the enemy's sight.

S24_P05.jpg

The Brock moves up and spots more slavers, a burst to the legs is all he has time for before the bullets gets too close and he pulls back.

S24_P08.jpg

S24_P09.jpg

Meanwhile, a slaver gets surprised by BNC, her position in the tall grass kept her hidden until she fired her MP7A1.

S24_P10.jpg

The Brock moves up again, this time Rob Yu covers him. He fires a burst and runs out of bullets, luckily Rob Yu connects with his HK23e while The Brock is busy reloading.

S24_P12.jpg

S24_P13.jpg

S24_P14.jpg

Squad 2 has cleared the area and moves to their positions on the ridge. Squad 1 will do the same, pinning the enemy down between them.

S24_P11kopiera.jpg

S24_P11_1.jpg

Kestrel is the first one to spot an enemy.

S24_P16.jpg

Rob Yu lets his HK23e do the talking, his position having the best viewpoint of the ground below.

S24_P17.jpg

Reaper delivers a nice headshot.

S24_P18.jpg

The Brock helps out.

S24_P19.jpg

Reaper could do this all by himself, and all day if needed.

S24_P20.jpg

BNC tries to get some of the slavers out of their hiding places with her MP7A1.

S24_P21.jpg

The Brock has a very nice over-watch position close to the bunched up enemies.

S24_P22.jpg

As Reaper takes down another slaver, Kestrel finally brings down his target.

S24_P23.jpg

One of the slavers has spotted Rob Yu and sends a burst his way. It misses, Rob Yu's reply doesn't.

S24_P24.jpg

S24_P25.jpg

A slaver in the bushes is no match for Reaper, when using the scope to suss them out they need to do a better job of hiding.

S24_P26.jpg

Kestrel sends a few rounds at BNC's target, and gets lucky.

S24_P27.jpg

Yet another failed attempt at hiding, and Reaper takes advantage of it.

S24_P28.jpg

One of the slavers tries to throw a grenade at Kestrel.

S24_P30.jpg

But before he does, The Brock interrupts him.

S24_P31.jpg

Kestrel suppresses the enemy, after a few shots the enemy goes down.

S24_P32.jpg

Reaper misses his shot, not like him at all.

S24_P33.jpg

A second round from Kestrel knock the enemy unconscious.

S24_P34.jpg

Rob Yu takes down another, and once Kestrel takes out the final enemy, the battle is won.

S24_P35.jpg

Many new toys are found among the bodies, most notably the RPG-2 grenades which will be useful down the road.

S24_P36.jpg

S24_P37.jpg

S24_P38.jpg

S24_P39.jpg

S24_P40.jpg

S24_P41.jpg

The team doesn't have to wait long until they are attacked again, this time at night.

The Plan
Kestrel will flank the northern enemy, taking care of any flanking attempt coming his way. The Brock will scout ahead while Rob Yu and Reaper covers him. BNC will cover the access road leading from the south and will try to keep the enemy at bay for as long as possible. Slowmo will use the cliff to get a good vantage point over the south eastern entry point.

S24_P42kopiera.jpg

A Badass runs past The Brock without noticing him, and gets taken down quickly and silently.

S24_P43.jpg

Slowmo has used his scope to discover one of the Badasses, a deadly headhot makes short work of him.

S24_P44.jpg

As he sweeps his sight across the entry point he discovers another enemy, misses as the enemy gets to his feet.

S24_P45.jpg

The Badass hits Slowmo with a burst from the FN Minimi, Slowmo will have to retreat back to cover and tend his wound.

S24_P46.jpg

Kestrel encounters the first Badass attempting a flanking maneuver.

S24_P47.jpg

Things are getting busy for The Brock, there's no shortage of targets.

S24_P48.jpg

S24_P49.jpg

Another flanker comes Kestrel's way, this one manages to throw a grenade before getting hit, Kestrel is forced to pull back away from the grenade.

S24_P50.jpg

Reaper spots a Badass running towards The Brock and takes him out.

S24_P52.jpg

The Brock successfully fends off the rushing enemy with well aimed bursts. They still haven't been able to pinpoint his position due to his high camouflage skill and silenced MP5.

S24_P53.jpg

As Kestrel runs back, the grenade explodes sending him into shock, then he gets shot in the back.

S24_P54.jpg

BNC hear some movement, the enemies coming from the southern entry point is about to join the party. A grenade will slow down their progress.

S24_P55.jpg

More enemies are about to surprise The Brock in his exposed position, he pulls back while Rob Yu covers him with his HK23e.

S24_P57.jpg

BNC's grenade detonates, it seems to have stopped the enemy for the time being.

S24_P58.jpg

Reaper uses his scope to discover more Badasses, them being in prone position makes them very hard to spot in the dark.

S24_P59.jpg

Another enemy exposes himself when firing his weapon, and Reaper gets very lucky when the bullet whizzes by.

S24_P60.jpg

Rob Yu suppresses the prone enemies while Reaper takes his time to aim and takes them out, one by one.

S24_P61.jpg

S24_P62.jpg

The enemy makes another attempt to get up the access road, they get disrupted again by a grenade from BNC.

S24_P63.jpg

S24_P66.jpg

The Brock moves up while Rob Yu provides some cover fire.

S24_P64.jpg

Reaper helps out when the enemy is covered by the elevated ground.

S24_P67.jpg

One of the Badasses has found a good spot in the bushes, he gets taken out by Rob Yu nonetheless.

S24_P68.jpg

Kestrel is all healed up and will try to find the Badass who shot him in the back. Reaper will find a good spot from where he can cover him. The Brock will move up the hill and take out any resistance left.

S24_P69kopiera.jpg

The Brock is running low on .40 S&W ammo for his MP5 and starts using semi automatic fire, much more accurate than bursts it seems.

S24_P70.jpg

BNC, who is out of grenades, gets surprised by an enemy about to throw a grenade at her.

S24_P71.jpg

At the last moment, just as the grenade is about to leave the thrower's hand, she takes him out. Close call indeed.

S24_P72.jpg

The Brock manages to sneak up behind an enemy without being noticed, and gets rewarded for his troubles.

S24_P73.jpg

Kestrel gets his revenge.

S24_P74.jpg

Mop Up Time
Slowmo will move in a wide circle to avoid getting detected, The Brock will join him ASAP. Reaper will take Slowmo's previous position on the cliff. BNC will act as bait in case the enemy is prepared.

S24_P75kopiera.jpg

Slowmo gets spotted immediately and is forced to pull back. Both bullets and grenades are in the air.

S24_P76.jpg

S24_P77.jpg

Reaper uses his scope, finds and takes out one of the remaining Badasses.

S24_P78.jpg

As BNC moves forward, she spots an enemy. Slowmo has turned around by then and takes him out.

S24_P79.jpg

Reaper gets lucky, his G3SG/1 takes out the enemy quickly.

S24_P80.jpg

As The Brock starts moving down the access road, the final Badass reveals himself and is punished for his stupidity.

S24_P81.jpg

The Immortal Badasses always carry some good stuff. My motto is, the harder the challenge, the greater the reward.

S24_P82.jpg

S24_P83.jpg

S24_P84.jpg

S24_P85.jpg

Here's the team's load-outs. We got 8 RPG-2 grenades in the slaver encounter, so BNC or Rob should start carrying those around. HK still have 2 days left of his hospital visit, but Geroj should soon be ready to join the team gain. Slowmo is a close call, another hit and he'll be forced to take some time out at the hospital.

S24_P86.jpg

S24_P87.jpg

S24_P88.jpg

We now have enough hardware for a real assault on the Radio Hill, but you might be bored by the LP by now. So I'll give you a few options to spice things up.

1: Daytime assault. Massive firepower- Best weapons gathered so far.
2: Nighttime assault. Spec Ops style - One assault team, one support team.
3: Nighttime assault. Lone Gunman - The Brock takes every enemy out with a silenced pistol.
4: Daytime suicide assault. Only pistols allowed - end of LP is almost certain (I'm looking at you D_F_N)

Hur Zwa

Novice
I did a test regarding the "Balance" parameter to test what it really stands for.
I edited three variants of Colt M4A1 to be exactly the same except the Balance. The first rifle had 1, the second 52 and the 3rd 100 Balance. No attachments were used and the test person was my main merc with 95 accuracy who fired 100 rounds with every weapon before the test.
The difference between the three variants is so small that it really doesn't matter:
The rifle with 1 Balance had the longest time to ready the weapon: 0.99 seconds
The rifle with 52 Balance need 0.85 seconds.
The rifle with 100 Balance need 0.73 seconds.

Stamina drain whith weapon at the ready wasn't influenced neither standing nor moving.
The time to aim or recover time after the shot was also not influenced.

I also did a full auto test with all rifles. Emptying a 30 rounds clip on a door from about 25 meters. I repeated the test with every rifle 2 times.
The grouping of the shots was similar for every rifle.

My conclusion for this test is: A higher balance is better. But not much. It is just 0.26 seconds difference when readying a weapon between 1 and 100 Balance. The readying time is also influenced by the weight of the rifle and it's attachments. So the balance is just one factor of many.

I screenshotet the whole test if someone wants to see it I can upload the pictures. If someone wants to do a different test just let me know.

BTW:
R@s, lots of weapons have wrong speedmodifier values in the weaponinfo file. This parameter changes the speed of the bullet when fired compared to the ammoinfo file. A short barreled weapon like the Colt M4A1 should have a value less than 1. The M16 with its standard barrel should have 1 while long barrel weapons like sniper rifles fire the bullets with a higher velocity should have > 1.
So heavy SMG that fire pistol bullets like the MP5 should have also a speedmodifier > 1.

IceShade

Novice
3! I want to see this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom