Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play 7.62: High Calibre

overtenemy

Augur
Also, what happened in the update I'm guessing is your army base was attacked by some government troops. If you're inside an area when its attacked, all the troops spawn at the entry points, making highly exploitable situations. I'm guessing you set up some C4, possibly with TNT backups, and hit the detonate button when they spawned, killing them all instantly and making yourself some $$$ on their loot.

Alternatively you could've used mines.

I usually use somebody from around a corner or on top of a building tossing grenades to stun them all, while somebody prone with a machine gun sprays all over the entry point. I don't really like setting up mines in cities, I usually hit a fucking local or something.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yeesh said:
And how on earth did you get that girl out of the building? As soon as I talk to her and say I'll figure something out, I'm hostile to umpteen guards. And if I try and talk to the former mayor, I'm hostile to umpteen guards. Which I'd like if I had any kind of equipment and a team of mercs.

You need to talk to her father, then the guy guarding her (to get rid of him) and then sneak out the back door. They will still be hostile to you, but won't give a chase. Just go to the exit zone and you're safe.

overtenemy said:
On a separate note, is it even possible to raise skills like camoflauge and sapper? They never seem to go up for me, no matter what.

Sapper does go up... But the process of raising it usually gets your guy killed ;) (setting and defusing explosives). At least I use explosives so sparingly that it's better to get a specialized merc for them.

Camo can't apparently be raised. But you can always use camo kits. Visibility and the use of silencers seems to make more of a difference though. Usually I don't have the time to sneak untill we're down to a last few enemies, unless it's a very small squad of enemies.

overtenemy

Augur
Suppose it depends on the situation. I've found stealth to be immense at times.

For example,
In the Rebel mission to take out El Vertigo, I had a sniper sit out on the road and take a few shots at the guards by the main entrance, and retreat backwards behind the cover of a machine gunner and a few mines and tripwires. Meanwhile, three people with silenced weapons used the back tunnel you found in an earlier quest to gut the place from the inside with silenced weapons and camo. I probably killed 10 dudes before they realized I was there, and by the time they did most of them were out trying to engage the sniper, which didn't end well for them obviously. Good times.

Also Haba, I was thinking of starting a 7.62 ironman thread. I've beaten the game now, and I've already tried an ironman playthrough. I got surprisingly far, which is to say I managed to get 3 hired mercs and a jeep without dying. I was scared I was gonna die to the first bandit encounter I found. Anyhoodle, I don't think I'd bother if I was the only one posting. Anyone else interested?

wjw

Augur
I advice a second thread, getting the two mixed up might be confusing.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
overtenemy said:
Also Haba, I was thinking of starting a 7.62 ironman thread. I've beaten the game now, and I've already tried an ironman playthrough. I got surprisingly far, which is to say I managed to get 3 hired mercs and a jeep without dying. I was scared I was gonna die to the first bandit encounter I found. Anyhoodle, I don't think I'd bother if I was the only one posting. Anyone else interested?

Hrrr, my balls shrivel at the thought of doing an ironman with this one. With all the difficulty sliders maxed out the game can be quite punishing - high caliber bullet w. critical hit almost always results in a straight kill. Sounds like a fun watch tho :)

overtenemy

Augur
Haba said:
Hrrr, my balls shrivel at the thought of doing an ironman with this one. With all the difficulty sliders maxed out the game can be quite punishing - high caliber bullet w. critical hit almost always results in a straight kill. Sounds like a fun watch tho :)

I know, I thought it was fucking crazy myself, but I gave it a go and found that so long as you're careful it's not completely insane. I mean, I don't expect to ever actually WIN, but my very first ironman game made it to ambushing the Rebel delegation to Olvega. The game I've got going now I've managed to get up to the battle of Ciudad de Oro on the government side. I'm hoping it lets me set up explosives at the spawn entrances, it'll be an easy win if it does. Otherwise the fight'll more than likely be the end of this playthrough.

But I mean really, you gotta figure after a few attempts you'll eventually get a game in which you manage to take over the abandoned army base, which'll then inexplicably begin spawning free militia troops. Taking over towns is alot easier when you send your militia to it first. It has potential, in my opinion, to be pretty hilarious just to see how many towns one could take over before meeting one's end.

I dunno if it'd be worth it starting the thread alone though, think it'd be more funny to have multiple attempts, like the Infinity Engine Ironman Extravaganza, especially considering the potential to have so many games cut short in hilarious ways.

unimural

Novice
I happened to notice that 7.62 was on sale (atleast for Europe) on Gamersgate. Based on this thread decided to check it out. Thought I'd mention it here, in case the offer might interest someone else as well.

mondblut

Arcane
overtenemy said:
But I mean really, you gotta figure after a few attempts you'll eventually get a game in which you manage to take over the abandoned army base, which'll then inexplicably begin spawning free militia troops.

Oh shi...

It was supposed to be fixed :(

overtenemy

Augur
mondblut said:
Oh shi...

It was supposed to be fixed :(

Really? It's not supposed to do that? Always thought it was a bit odd. Oh well, gonna use it anyway, taking over towns is scary as shit without them.

mondblut

Arcane
Only towns proper under your control are supposed to spawn militia. And they aren't exactly free, they are originally hired through the mayors, although overtime the stable towns can spawn troopers on their own.

Nael

Arcane
overtenemy said:
I'm running Vista, and managing to deal with it. What's the prob?

Are you running x64? I am. Yes. I am a fucking idiot. But I love FSX in DX10. Sue me.

All that said though, I should point out that it only crashes when I get shot in the face. So maybe that's a good thing. Not like it crashes right after 10 minutes of god awful voice acting, forcing me to endure THAT over and over. It picks the best time to crash, when I'd just be reloading a save game anyway.

overtenemy

Augur
Nael said:
Are you running x64? I am. Yes. I am a fucking idiot. But I love FSX in DX10. Sue me.

All that said though, I should point out that it only crashes when I get shot in the face. So maybe that's a good thing. Not like it crashes right after 10 minutes of god awful voice acting, forcing me to endure THAT over and over. It picks the best time to crash, when I'd just be reloading a save game anyway.

I am running x64. The get shot, receive crash bug only seems to happen to me when I'm alone, before I've hired any other mercs. Soon as I get another merc the game just takes it like a man. Other than that, occasionally the BMP folder becomes corrupted so I have to copy a copy I made over it, with a few random crashes every now and then. It's pretty tolerable.

mondblut

Arcane
What's up with this "bmp become corrupted" issue anyway? I've heard some localized tga textures are in fact multilayered, is that true? That would explain the game can't read them and overwrites them with missingtexture.bmp.

If you could let me see the game log, log of missing textures, and the culprit textures before and after "corruption", I might investigate the issue and provide some semi-official solution. Hell, maybe I should just not remove it from inventory and see for myself? :D

As for Vista, the game was never tested on this OS and Vista is officially not supported, game is XP-exclusive. Which of course doesn't mean it wouldn't run on it, but it isn't guaranteed either. All in hands of Microsoft and their backward compatibility department :)

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
mondblut said:
What's up with this "bmp become corrupted" issue anyway? I've heard some localized tga textures are in fact multilayered, is that true? That would explain the game can't read them and overwrites them with missingtexture.bmp.

Yes. BMP\Hud\E6_shop\1024x768\SHOP0.tga is actually .psd...

If you convert that to tga as it's supposed to be, the problem is gone. Now there is still the question of how the hell did that happen in the first place ;-)

The guys at Strategy First have actually come up with unofficial patch that fixes most of the glaring issues in the localized version.

http://www.strategyfirst.com/forum/show ... hp?t=41508

The memory leak still exists though, but with that we can live with, I guess.

mondblut

Arcane
Haba said:

If you convert that to tga as it's supposed to be, the problem is gone. Now there is still the question of how the hell did that happen in the first place ;-)

Probably nobody ever tested it @ 1024x768 :roll:

We never had any involvement with localization other than being occasionally contacted by 1C with some issue or another they couldn't solve by themselves. Now I wish we were, that's a resolution I always use. :(

The guys at Strategy First have actually come up with unofficial patch that fixes most of the glaring issues in the localized version.

http://www.strategyfirst.com/forum/show ... hp?t=41508

Nice. We probably should post a link to it in our forum :)

- Changed #Sniper name to Sniper

This fix is questionable. IIRC his nick was changed to "[01h]Sniper" (01h is not displayed) to distinguish from NPC soldiers called "Sniper". Making them called the same would cause a fair share of errors with that merc. Did invisible 01h become a visible "#" in translation?

Haba said:

Heya guys, first time posting around :)

Actually, it seems that instead of converting the PSD to TGA, they just renamed them... dumb as hell and even longer to do since you can make scripts in Photoshop to open every file from a folder, apply a modification of your choice and save them in another format.

Nael said:

Well, I'm using Vista x64 aswell and the game works like a charm... the only thing that seems to be a problem with Vista is the fact that the memory leak causes more CTD than on XP, most certainly due to Vista's way to handle memory use.
Your problem could come from your Video Drivers, a setting or something that kind.
If that happens again, go in the 7.62 Folder => Log and send me the log in PM. Could have to do with transparency, when you get shot in the head, the game applies a layer on screen with a transparency according to the wound.

Also, what kind of Video Card do you use ? ATI or nVidia ?

While I'm at it, I'm the one who modified the Mercs for the BFX mod, it is actually a test, so some things will be changed.
I didn't take much of the Mercs background in account when I modified their stats as I didn't had em at hand but anyway, there's alot of changes coming still.
I've also seen someone saying they'd wish to start with a vest or backpack etc... I'm working on a whole inventory revamp, for both Presets (the merc you start playing with), hirable mercs and the enemies.
It takes some times as it needs alot of testing for balance and I do it on my spare time, but it's coming ;)

@ Haba : very nice and fun Lets play mate :)

I have been playing this game with only my main char and no mercs, worked fine until the convoy mission (taking the army base was hard but doable), which is basically impossible to finish in solo mode it seems.

I go in with grenades and throw 10-15 in the stacks of units, and basically kill 2/3 of the enemies single handedly, but the fucking rebels still get their asses kicked before I can finish the survivor offs.

Any tips?

YourConscience

Scholar
Using save/load it's possible to just rush up to the enemies and using any kind of AK with autofire kill them at short range within seconds. Grenades take way too much time to explode, the enemies have enough time to run away etc. etc.

I did that mission with two guys, but the second one didn't do much except drawing fire and being killed more often than the guy rushing. Don't rush straight at them, of course, take a detour to get at their backs. This will also induce shocks at the enemies and many of them will be unable to shoot back at all.

Also, did you also notice how it is absolutely impossible sometimes to hit an enemy wo is lying prone? There seems to be some aiming bug involved.

kenney bounces

Liturgist
I can't seem to ever get landmines or tripwires to detonate. =/

Do the enemies have to stand DIRECTLY on the pixel where the landmine/tripwire was set?

mondblut

Arcane
No, but if one man in a side notices a mine, all the side knows about it, and it won't ever be triggered by them (they "step over it").

It is logical to assume a miner's skill affects how well the mine is hidden, but I am not sure it is implemented that way, although it begs for it.

kenney bounces

Liturgist
I had TNT(the merc) set the tripwires and landmines. None of them went off. She has close to 100 sapping.

I'm referring to the scenario where a bunch of rebels spawn at the entry point. I plant 6 tripwires at the spawn point. Not a single one goes off.

overtenemy

Augur
Yeah I find that mines have a shit detonation rate as well, especially the black widows. The other kind of mine (the name eludes me at the moment) detonates more frequently for me but rarely does anything resembling lethal damage. I have much more luck with tripwires. Not sure why yours won't go off. Anyway, for that situation, it's preferable to use C4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom