Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's play: 10 brave souls vs the Terror From The Deep

lightbane

Arcane
I remember in my UFO playthrough I used to sell fatally wounded soldiers 'cause they took too long to heal and I could use a fresh and healthy recruit instead. Unfortunately, the greedy bastards wouldn't give you a refund :decline:

Anyways, moar!

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
RealDDc just caught up with this LP, it's entertaining to read. Do play with maximum caution - you can easily make another LP about daredevil escapades, but this one works well within its premise (and the challenge to make it last as long as possible is fun enough on its own).

Guess I'll claim the last ensign if nobody else wants to step up. Those who are about to die, between the devil and the deep blue sea, et cetera...

RealDDc

Learned
Without tanks? Ouchie.
:hmmm:
...Anyways, moar!
Sadly I do not have much time currently, no update today :(
Not sure if I'll manage to get at least one update done over the weekend, but next week it should be better.

just caught up with this LP, it's entertaining to read. Do play with maximum caution - you can easily make another LP about daredevil escapades, but this one works well within its premise (and the challenge to make it last as long as possible is fun enough on its own).
:incline:
Guess I'll claim the last ensign if nobody else wants to step up. Those who are about to die, between the devil and the deep blue sea, et cetera...
:salute:
Welcome aboard the crew of the doomed. You are lucky, the next update isn't even played and recorded so just in time to join the terror mission. :lol: Chances stand good to never promote to an able seaman yet to an ensign. ;)

RealDDc

Learned

Update: More Terror and the end of February

February comes to an end.
The last recruit joined the squad and the next terror mission is up front.

ca3s.jpg

The previous mission was a disaster, but the loot covers the expenses for new tanks.

gsxu.jpg

Three days later the reinforcement get shipped, just in time for the upcoming terror mission.

hf9d.jpg

The invaders attack Mauritius, island battles are a good bit harder than battles on port landscape.

i6lh.jpg

Almost happened to be a night mission. Anyways, let's do this.

vbp6.jpg

Missed to bring a weapon for CappenVarra :oops:, everyone else wields a sonic rifle two pulser grenades some
smoke grenades a trip mine and we got two tanks. Unfortunately one of them tanks is a underwater aqua jet,
but it'll still work as scout.

xsw5.jpg

Gillmans and deep ones... would prefer Aquatoids to acquire a calcinite corpse.

ll1n.jpg

Deep ones to all sides, looks like this map is flooded with them. Good for us they have a weak attack thus can't
get dangerous to them tanks.

zgfl.jpg

Overboard takes care of the heavy armed Gillman, and throws a pulser grenade.

p27g.jpg

Azira kills the nearest deep one with a clean shot.

kgu3.jpg

I don't hear many death screams during the aliens turns, there can't be many civilians on this map.

tynn.jpg

A heavy armed Gillman walks into visible area...

rptl.jpg

... another one leaves the house. They must've stocked up on heavy weaponry, and a good shot can one
hit a tank.

i0th.jpg

A deep one attempts a couple of shots on a tank, but they have a horrible aim and even if they hit they can't
break the armor. Not worth mentioning, unless they attack aquanauts without proper armor.

cg53.jpg

GreyViper removes the Gillman that moved pretty close to the ship.

6zsy.jpg

A pretty good covered one, surprisingly equipped with a pistol. Nearly everyone of the crew failed to hit him.

njhz.jpg

Dayyālu one of the last with remaining TU's ends the target practice with a lethal hit.

ahzh.jpg

A sneaky Gillman behind the Triton that I could not reach properly the last turn won't survive the explosion
this time.

ze6h.jpg

The Aqua Jet tank spots more deep ones, this map is really flooded with those. But nothing to worry from these
as long as the crew is in the Triton.

ct7f.jpg

This is odd. During the aliens turn we get a glimpse on this Gillman, he must been spotted by a soldier in the
Triton through the window?? :o

7l5e.jpg

CappenVarra leaves him a little present and scores his first kill with this move. We should get him a gun by times...

mca8.jpg

For now I ignore all the deep ones that linger around keep the crew in the ship and continue to search the remaining
dangerous ones. The tank knocks this one out...

wdio.jpg

... and a turn later this one. The deep ones continue to take the tanks under attack barely any damage taken.

oyi9.jpg

To get rid of all those deep ones all over the place, the crew fires a 2 square pathway into the building in front of the
Triton. The roof of that building is a perfect sniper location.

6gyo.jpg

Dayyālu takes another one out with a lucky grenade, on that hilly ground explosions mostly don't hit cause of
different height levels.

wjj4.jpg

This one moved pretty close to the Triton, Overboard makes sure he won't get any closer.

9o71.jpg

GreyViper and me charge forward into the building and spot a deep one on the move during the aliens turns.
Luckily we both remain unseen.

apbg.jpg

GreyViper is unable to spot him during his turn taking a few steps forward. Don't want to risk it and both make
their way back to the Triton until a tank arrives.

qcfn.jpg

Another one moves out of cover and Overboard bring him to fell. His aim isn't the best but he seems to be always
in the right spot at the right time. :salute:

2tlp.jpg

Finally the tanks arrived and Dayyālu perforates the building walls further so the tank is going to fit through.

lsik.jpg

The tank finish's a covered Gillman and Dayyālu executes the deep one on the other side.

1zle.jpg

Scouting around the building, one tank spots a deep one through a window at the second level of the building.

e8cf.jpg

Azira and GreyViper, the troopers with the best accuracy in the team, make their way into the building...

k5s0.jpg

... and I take the last remaining Gillman on the open surface of the map out. Now all that is left to explore is
the buildings second and third level and a bunker.

udmu.jpg

Azira spots this one on the second level, and somewhere around there must also be the previously
spotted deep one.

qlx4.jpg

So the next turn Azira nukes 'em with a pulser.
I know it is weird but you can throw a grenade from a lower level to the higher level layer directly above through the ceiling.

gbmu.jpg

After Aziras double kill the remaining aliens freak out.

8v1b.jpg

They make their way through an empty building up to the top to get in sniper position on the roof.
There are still a few deep ones around the map.

15n6.jpg

Lamed! :D

zexu.jpg

The tank deals with one hiding behind another building.

tt34.jpg

No escape. No mercy.

2mh9.jpg

A couple of turns pass to check the whole area again, only left is the bunker... I hate it. Gladly this map
only has one, another island map has dozen of this small underground tunnels.

y9eq.jpg

Time for our freshling CappenVarra to prove himself, he's ready to get a gun and a job assigned. Clean out
the bunker, good luck. ;)

b612.jpg

Making his way through the tunnel he first runs into a seemingly unarmed Gillman and swiftly takes
him out with a snapshot but then....

s2vn.jpg

... pretty lucky often the guy hidden in that room faces the doorway and reactionfires like nuts.
And CappenVarra did not miss his shot. After this the team affiliates him as full-fledged companion.
Well done.
:brodex:

62zy.jpg

Wonderful! That went absolutely perfect. No losses, two M.S. reader and loads of heavy duty plasma
acquired as well as quite a load of pulser grenades.

But still no thermal shock launcher, which is quite bad news, no calcinite corpse and no thermal shock...

This is gonna be fun if next month lobstermen appear. :bounce:

31zy.jpg

The last two days of the month where silent.

Monthly Overview:

9pn4.jpg

Base at end of February
- 100 Scientists
- 43 Technicians
Next month I stock up on them to not pay twice.
- 7 Soldiers
- 200 Zrbit in stock
- 2 Tanks
Research on transmission resolver in good progress.

Progress of the crew:

wzci.jpg

gb5b.jpg

23ka.jpg

lze5.jpg

lzze.jpg

81bx.jpg

zpxv.jpg

97yn.jpg

Them are happy. :salute:

Last edited:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Missed to bring a weapon for CappenVarra
You love that extra challenge wherever it can be found, eh? :lol:
Fortunately the recruit with decent stamina and low bravery (good at running away?) also has decent firing accuracy and rises to the challenge ;)

RealDDc

Learned

Update: Innermost grief and despair Part1

"...we're ALL going to DIE!"

62zt.jpg

March starts out with some activity around the indian ocean.

pbup.jpg

A small sized alien ship was tracked down and landed shortly after.

l7z0.jpg

Let the fun begin.

x0rn.jpg

Aquatoids... the tanks on the rise scouted a bunch in close proximity to the Triton. CappenVarra opens the
warfare and takes the first one out.

hus2.jpg

The next kill adds to Overboards records.

oekq.jpg

The mission runs smooth, CappenVarra scores another kill.

d43n.jpg

And the tanks dig their way further through the enemys lines.

rg5g.jpg

Overboards backs em up with shellfire and kills another one.

2xfv.jpg

Them tanks finish the job and clean out the defenders inside the alien ship.

7okl.jpg

Smooth and easy mission with a nice reward, 50 Zrbit add to account.

qqw5.jpg

Silent seas the next couple days and the scientst present us another very essential invention. Not cheap but
a healthy bank account lets us start the construction straight.

led8.jpg

More uneventful days pass, the scientists first present us the invention of ion-armor and shortly after finally
this. Research on Medi-Kit is initiated and the fabrication of magnetic ion-armor are initiated immediately.

azat.jpg

Subsequent alien activity around the arctic is reported.

ke9l.jpg

Investigation into it reveals the location of a alien base.

tjjf.jpg

Then the Tritons radar spots this, heading slowly towards the location of the base.

fhdo.jpg

In hot pursuit and just as expected, it is a base supply ship and lands at the base.

To be continued...

89x2.jpg

Second thoughts? Hell no! Wait... hell yeah! Let's do this. :roll:

Last edited:

RealDDc

Learned

Update: Innermost grief and despair Part2

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Right?

kzjd.jpg

On the first move the tank instantly triggers reactionfire and takes a few hits, luckily that must've been pistol fire,
the damage dealt is not worth mentioning.

ro33.jpg

Advancing further reveals that Gillman inhabit that ship, if it would have been Aquatiods we'd lifted-off instantly.

v4fu.jpg

The Aqua-Jet tank spots another one and eliminates it.

2rmg.jpg

Swapping primed grenades around in the ship, Overboard provides this one...

46oi.jpg

... and GreyViper the other one. That's all for the first turn.

byx4.jpg

The next turn the Aqua-Jet Tank spots this one to horribly fail a snapshot, fortunately no reactionfire instigated.

iyqe.jpg

The other tank in an advance further to the north reveal the location of two unaware Gillman.

ywil.jpg

GreyViper terminates the one the Aqua-Jet failed to hit...

nhkw.jpg

... and Overboard prepares this double kill.

rt2o.jpg

During the aliens turn, this guy wants revenge jumps out of cover and fires on all cylinders, dealing some moderate
damage to the gas-cannon tank and manages to move back into cover.

1a6x.jpg

With the aqua-jet tank I make my way around the alien ship on the lower part towards the stairs...

kcga.jpg

... and strategical reasons force me to retreat the damaged tank behind the Triton.

nfbv.jpg

To block the pathway the Gillman used as cover, CappenVarra primes a trip mine and toss it over to Overboard who
stands directly infront of him and who's then going to move out a step and throw it to mine the Gillmans pathway.

x2ex.jpg

That was the plan, and if I may add a good plan. But what the hell...? Where is it? I check the floor by everyones feet...
Nothing! :eek:

stcr.jpg

A glance at the overview unfolds the mystery, the trip mine must have landed somewhere between the Tritons consoles...
:bravo:

3iql.jpg

Pretty scary stuff, step by step I need to move the soldiers in the back of the ship without touching a spot that would
trigger and one wrong step could decide the whole teams fate.
:hero:

ofu0.jpg

Leaving the Triton on the left side of the door would trigger it, so I skip the rest of the turn.

dgv4.jpg

Moving the tank in and out triggered the explosion, and this was the moment to pray the shock wave of the explosion
would not reach the aquanauts.

rgiy.jpg

Phew! Situation solved... One thing for sure, CappenVarra never going to promote teams top grenadier.
:nocountryforshitposters:

9kfs.jpg

On with the show! The tank scouts and spots two Gillman that must have advanced to watch the show how the humans
are about to blow up themselves.

fhe2.jpg

GreyViper shuts the curtain for them with a pulser.

ujwo.jpg

On the aliens turn this one appears out of nowhere and open fire on the tank, the tank takes some more damage but not
enough to get destroyed.

fhba.jpg

After another failed attempt to blow him up with a proximine, the tank has to do the job to avoid destruction of the loot
on the floor.

srrb.jpg

The aqua jet tank get in position to guard the entrance of the alien ship.

yo8u.jpg

The last remaining alien outside the ship hits the ground, I check the area again and move both tanks to the alien
ships entrance.

9ufu.jpg

With the aqua jet I try to fire a 2 square passage into the lower level hull so the tanks can enter, but only manage to
open one tile.

7n0r.jpg

The troopers swarm out to collect the loot and drag it into the Triton, just incase the further progress of the mission goes
totally wrong and we are forced to run off...

x73d.jpg

... the loot isn't bad, but there must be a good load of Zrbit inside the alien ship and maybe even a thermal shock launcher.

2keh.jpg

Huh... Someone woke up...

0xle.jpg

... I send him back to sleep, to Aziras luck I did not miss. :roll:

fspr.jpg

A couple of turns later most of the cargo is stashed.

g1fm.jpg

Dayyālu, GreyViper and Azira make their way towards the lion's den.

zzkq.jpg

The others gather the rest of the loot.

sr6e.jpg

GreyViper is going to be the first to storm in...

To be continued....

Last edited:

RealDDc

Learned
Update: Innermost grief and despair Part3

High-priced Zrbit...

3jha.jpg

The welcome committee stand by, seems we are invited to coffee and cake...

0p4l.jpg

... GreyViper does not trust this for some reason and shoots one down.

lfcd.jpg

Dayyālu executes the other. Lucky that one didn't face the door as well.

dywh.jpg

The next turn GreyViper removes the defender on the left side.

8368.jpg

Dayyālu spots this unarmed one on the right side...

r0tm.jpg

... opens fire, reveals a heavy armed one, misses his target...

t74e.jpg

... attracts reactionfire and sinks engulfed in a plasma ray dead to the ground.

0d8m.jpg

GreyViper seeks revenge and eliminates Dayyālu's slaughterer.

8ihp.jpg

And proceeds the same way with the other remaining one.

n7sk.jpg

Panic strikes among the high ranked Gillmans in the control center.

bq5n.jpg

After cautiously checking the situation, Azira charges forward towards the elevator and kills one at the lower
level on the way.

n8nm.jpg

And another panic rush, they know they gonna pay for Dayyālu.

zwfi.jpg

Azira and GreyViper bombard the upper level of the elevator with grenades. Me and CappenVarra make their
way to the alien ship as well.

fhyb.jpg

According to the panic reports GreyViper finishes the last soldier off in a quick rush.

mpvx.jpg

After the arrival of CappenVarra and me, we storm the ships command centre from both sides.

iqbr.jpg

GreyViper: "For Dayyālu!"

jp4w.jpg

Azira: "In Dayyālus name!"

ka15.jpg

CappenVarra "Yes! For Dayyālu!"

z5m8.jpg

The alien sub is salvaged...
150zrbit acquired...
loads of alien weaponary and technics recovered...
en masse dead alien bodys piled up...

But at what price... Not only have we lost a brave seaman, a remarkable soldier and staunchly defender
in the name of mankind...

But a friend.

The flags at the HQ on half-staff and the whole team in innermost grief and despair.

2pvg.jpg

Farewell Dayyālu.

Last edited:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
yeah, about that mine... let me tell you, shit gets slippery underwater, eh? :oops:

RealDDc

Learned
Did we at least get a stun bomb launcher?
Neither a thermal shock launcher nor a disruptor pulse launcher, and the main reason to run that mission was the thermal shock. That's pretty bad.
Ohhh just noticed something recording the next part. I've only checked the research options after the mission but there was a disruptor pulse launcher within the loot. Just haven't researched the Zrbit yet to make it viable to research.

Dayyālu

Arcane
But at what price... Not only have we lost a brave seaman, a remarkable soldier and staunchly defender
in the name of mankind...

I have always thought that the TFTD world must be quite ignorant about the invasion. I mean, disinformation and all, plus the Terror Missions are almost always a slaughter.
So, I imagine that some couple is having a romantic meeting, or some friends are drinking something together, or a child is playing in a park....

Meanwhile, in the cold, unforgiving darkness of the seas, brave men and women are dying like insects, forgotten by all bar their companions. Screaming and puking blood before some age-old horrors crush their puny, expendable life.

Oh, well, that's a high-pay job for you, after all! Hail, my avatar. You died usefully. Nice job, RealDDC. I still stand that this is a suicide mission! Prove me wrong.

tindrli

Arcane
where is my laboratory???

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom