Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's play: 10 brave souls vs the Terror From The Deep

RealDDc

Learned
X-Com - Terror From The Deep

• Superhuman
  • Ironman
  • 10 soldier Limit

Going to use only 10 soldiers, 8 to begin with and 2 more ordered. If one does die, hes out, no rebuy. At best I'll
manage to get through the whole game with these, or the let's play ends on the second mission already.

1 The first Mission
2 The next Mission
3 The third alien ship
4 TERROR
5 End of the first month
6 Greed and regret - Part 1
7 Greed and regret - Part 2
8 More Terror and the end of February
9 Innermost grief and despair Part 1
10 Innermost grief and despair Part 2
12 March comes to an end
13 Terror Mission
14 March is through
15 The fourth month Part 1
16 The fourth month Part 2
17 The fourth month ends
18 Counterstrike in progress
19 Alien base Part 1
20 Alien base Part 2
21 Aftermath
22 Survival
23 Stays the course

Azira was defiled in the worst ways by a Hallucinoid. :salute:

Blagrar is still in duty.

CappenVarra was frozen to death by a Hallucinoid. :salute:

Dayyālu was struck down by a Gillman with plasmafire. :salute:

Desktop Commander was teared appart by a Gillman with pulsar explosion. :salute:

GreyViper freaked out and was left behind. :salute:

MicoSelva was fermented by a Deep One with acid snot. :salute:

Nevill was toasted by a Gillman with plasmafire. :salute:

Overboard is still in duty.

RealDDc is still in duty.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
I admire your persistence. Time constraints are a bitch, and I can not apply for continuous orders. However, this time I will join my brethren in the holy fight.

I'll claim Bulakov. Same name of the second in command of my last TFTD playthrough. May the Gods protect him. Specialize him as a Grenadier.

That said, I am pretty average player, but a 10-men TFTD game sounds downright suicidal. Is victory possible?

RealDDc

Learned
I like the name "Gerhard". :salute:
:thumbsup:
I admire your persistence. Time constraints are a bitch, and I can not apply for continuous orders. However, this time I will join my brethren in the holy fight.
:salute:
I'll claim Bulakov. Same name of the second in command of my last TFTD playthrough. May the Gods protect him. Specialize him as a Grenadier.
The seven seas of TFTD are a godless place to be, but I'll try my best.
Is victory possible?
:notsureifserious:

Fixed a false quote I just realized....

Last edited:

RealDDc

Learned

Update: The first Mission

Chased a small sized alien ship around japan until it landed.
Because I need the tech this will be the first Mission.
Alien ship number one is a tiny sized ship that I shot down near the base, that will be the second Mission.

Lets go.

oyb2.jpg

The mission starts out well, first kill goes to Azira, a perfectly aimed rocket ends the gillmans life quickly!

Nevill takes a step outside, looks around and spots the next. Me priming a grenade tossing it over to Nevill, and from
there over to the Gillman which then lands 2 tiles away from it and Nevill moves back into the ship.

That miserably bad aimed grenade thrown by Nevill won't kill it, so im swapping another primed grenade around in the
ship and have Desktop Commander toss it, lands directly under it.

The gillman survived both grenade explosions, and the next turn theres it together with another one not far from the
triton. Azira yet again with a perfect shot kills one, the other one is taken out by the Desktop Commander with some
dartgun autofire.

To that point the missions progress so far was absolutely satisfying, I decided to swarm out the area around the ship
seemed safe.

But then Desktop Commander triggers reaction fire with only a few time units left, pretty lucky to not get hit... Looks like
a hit to me in the screenshot.

Azira was supposed to cover, but this time heavily fails a aimed rocket shot nearly blowing Desktop Commander to
mush. A blessing in disguise, the gillman waits for his turn.

On his turn the Gillman just took a few steps, Desktop Commander gets another chance, throws a grenade, again
reactionfire and again MISS! Awesome Luck.

In that same turn Nevill spots one, which then is taken out by me.

Desktop Commanders streak of luck abruptly ends, the Gillman survived the grenade full hit, and a second later Desktop
Commander is engulfed by a pulser explosion. Good bye comrade and lion-hearted seaman Desktop Commander.

:hero:

The next couple of turns I let the probably wounded Gillman suffer from its lethal wounds, and keep exploring the area
until I finally find this... perfect for the rocket sniper Azira.

Finally we discover the alien ship, and also spot Desktop Commanders murderer, must have ran all the way down to
here. Nevill quickly executes him with a clean headshot. The teams moral returns.

:yeah:

Me and Nevill switch weapons, because I don't want to blow up the magnetic navigation ion-beam and zrbit inside. Nevill
opens the door steps aside and I snipe from out of reactionfire range. Thats the plan.

Good plan, dead in one shot. But after that im doing a critical mistake.

Nevill opens the door on the right side the next turn, then I realise he had the explosive amunition, should have either
shot and kill plus destroy the stuff or just skip the turn so the doors close, but by trying to move out of sight, well...
R.I.P. seaman Nevill your deed will always be remembered. :salute: That was a stupid death. :cry:

Dayyālu executes him.

The final results are... well... okay. Not sure how far I'll get if two die on the first Mission already.

8 of 10 left

Last edited:

GreyViper

Prophet
Why the hell not Ill take Stuart Truss and would let Brother Janus live again in 22K, kill the alien, mutant and the witch.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Seems there are no more soldiers to claim, MicoSelva. We're down to 8, and no more will be forthcoming. I don't expect this to end well. :roll:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seems there are no more soldiers to claim, MicoSelva. We're down to 8, and no more will be forthcoming. I don't expect this to end well. :roll:
Yeah, I misunderstood the concept. And You just had to post and ruin my track-covering, didn't You? I hope You die in the next mission.

RealDDc

Learned
Yeah, I misunderstood the concept. And You just had to post and ruin my track-covering, didn't You? I hope You die in the next mission.

At this point there are no more to claim, 6 are claimed and 2 are out.
But there will be two more to claim as soon as they'll arrive. That should be somewhat after the next 1-2 missions.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ah, so I did not misunderstand after all. If so, please sign me up for the next available slot as Mico (if male) or Selva (if female).

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ok, being killed on the first mission I can understand. Happens a lot to me lately.
But being one-upped by Azira? Absolutely unacceptable!

Next time, I am the one wielding the Rocket Launcher. Preferraby, with the incendiary ammo.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, you only use ten soldiers throughout the game. Why not use the tanks, then? Otherwise, I'm afraid, nobody is going to live until tentaculats start to appear.

:rpgcodex:

the other one is taken out by the Desktop Commander with some dartgun autofire.
:o

Desktop Commanders streak of luck abruptly ends, the Gillman survived the grenade full hit, and a second later Desktop Commander is engulfed by a pulser explosion. Good bye comrade and lion-hearted seaman Desktop Commander.
:excellent:

Well, that took longer than I had expected. I must say I'm pretty surprised you're bringing Harpoon Guns (Harpoon Guns!!!) and no tanks to such a challenge run. Will be eagerly following this to see how this is going to end (not to soon, hopefully. But then, this is TFTD...).

Godspeed to you, god sir!:obviously:

RealDDc

Learned

Update: The next Mission

Now to the tiny sized ship that was shot down near the base

izx1.jpg

And here we go.

bpij.jpg

q6lx.jpg

eph7.jpg

h8i9.jpg

70w0.jpg

c56l.jpg

m4eo.jpg

Directly moving all out, door noises are heard, so the alien probably hides in his shipwreck.

0uhy.jpg

Few turns later I get to catch a glimpse on the alien ship, plastering the way on the backside with a trip mine.

hld9.jpg

Azira blocks the other way with a trip mine and Dayyālu fires a few explosive rounds in the dark, the annoying door
noises suddenly stop.

sca8.jpg

I cautiously inspect the situation, we successfully destroyed that aliens toy.

xklt.jpg

After a few more tuns I get bored of that cowardly alien and Overboard storms in to annihilate it and scores his first kill.
Sadly the whole ship is a total wreck.

blsm.jpg

A quick successfull mission with hardly any loot.

b87y.jpg

The next days slide slow, no alien activity, more scientists arrive to make good progress researching the sonic pulser,
the last two soldiers arrive aswell as the long awaited coelacanth tank

ood5.jpg

And a couple of days later it is ready to use, but still no alien activity whatsoever. Research on the sonic riffle is initiated.

5a5d.jpg

Then finally alien activity near free china, but the tritons radar was unable to spot the alien ship before its fuel ran out...

fkt5.jpg

They score massive points with a few landings.

7o11.jpg

Almost 10 days later the next activity, this time they land pretty close to our base... close enough to spot the base...

More in the next Update...

And this here is the last soldier to claim:
zjnj.jpg

Last edited:

RealDDc

Learned
So, you only use ten soldiers throughout the game. Why not use the tanks, then? Otherwise, I'm afraid, nobody is going to live until tentaculats start to appear.
Well, that took longer than I had expected. I must say I'm pretty surprised you're bringing Harpoon Guns (Harpoon Guns!!!) and no tanks to such a challenge run.

The game usually starts out with two alien ships, a tiny one that rarely ever lands and a small sized one, the smaller one of them two small classified ships. The small ship does always land a while then liftoff again and that 2-3 times, usually that happens somewhere around japan for some reason. Watching the statistics it is easy to track them down directly on the first day, but the battle has to start with the default starting gear in base. Those small sized ships with one room are my only early chance to get some zrbit, magnetic navigation and ion-beam and they are very rare, those small ships with several rooms usually cost a few men at the corners. Unless with a lot luck a tiny one lands near the base, or the ion-beam machine doesn't get destroy shooting it down. Now, at the cost of 2 men sadly, I have everything I need for my research, and I need to research a few things badly to avoid bad surprises. I wouldn't even need to enter a ship from now on. Later I will need more zrbit, but chances are slim that I'll get to that point so for now im just trying to get as far as possible.

Now that's the reason I went on that mission with harpoon guns, small rockets, no trip mines (they are by far the best thing the xcom arsenal has to offer) and no tanks... lack of time and the urge to act.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom