Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Multiplay Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (PBEM) Game 4

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fantasy-Space-Stations.jpg

Because why not?

Players and turn order:
Gaia’s Stepdaughters - Grimgravy
Human Hive - Cassidy
University of Planet - Lambchop19 Auriga
Morganites - The Brazilian Slaughter

Spartan Federation - Nevill
Lord's Believers - Kalin
Peacekeeping Forces - Hellraiser

PBEM rules
A player may not:
1. Reload the game multiple times or load the game into the scenario editor
2. Conduct diplomacy prior to having met in-game
3. Use colony pods to increase a base beyond its maximum population limit
4. Use build queue manipulation or other exploits to hurry production at reduced costs, or build something that could not directly be built
5. Take advantage of the stockpile energy bug by adding it after units in build queues
6. Upgrade crawlers before adding them to secret projects
7. Make social engineering changes and then change back in the same turn
8. Connect multiple artifacts to the same network node (supposedly possible if you rename the city)
10. Trade or give away bases to AI factions
11. Setting the home of a unit to the base of a pacted AI faction
12. Transfer missiles to AI factions
13. Start a terraforming task in one square, cancel it, move to a different square and then finish it there (in case of combat terraforming)
14. Perform an act of aggression against a player and complete pending negotiations in the same turn

Reverse-engineering is however allowed.
Planetary Council information must be fully shared with all players.
Do not use the design workshop to bypass the "no upgrading after moving" rule.
Do not retire unit designs through the design workshops (upgrade or disband them on the map, modify the design into something new in the workshop).

In-game rules
Rules.jpg

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Summoning Lambchop19, The Brazilian Slaughter, Grimgravy. Anyone else is free to join, too.

If you have something to propose, rule-wise, or want to experiment with house rules, or have some preferences as to what map the game should be played on, please share them.

Me, I'd like to try a small- to medium-sized random planet.

I don't like Crawlers, Planetary Transit System and Drop Pods, but I've already mentioned that. If people want to keep them in the game, I don't mind.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Ok, you'll have to let me know how to join this cuz it's been a few years.

Nevill

Arcane
I am used to playing completely random maps, so I am fine with anything, as long as the map isn't too big.

Cassidy

Arcane
If the Hive ends vacant and nobody who didn't participate of the already ongoing games 2 and 3 wants to play with it, sign me up for maximum JUCHE JUCHE JUCHE DEATH TO REVISIONISTS ALL GLORY TO THE SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR OF ENVER HOXHA AND KIM JONG, CHAIRMAN YANG! The Human Hive is so gloriously Hoxhaist all their bases start with prebuilt bunkers.

o/ o/ o/

Nevill

Arcane
Alright, I am all for a max players game. But how do we communicate? Only 6 participants are allowed in a conversation. :?

Any solutions? Of course, we can probably communicate via e-mail only and not notice the difference.

Also, Kalin, are you OK with a medium-sized Planet?

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
All right. ITZ started. The turn order is in the first post.

This is the Normal-sized map of the Planet, and some of us are likely to start close to each other. Early eliminations are possible.

SMAC is very buggy when it comes to eliminations. I think everyone should familiarize themselves with this:
http://www.civgaming.net/smac/acad_elimination.shtml
If there are no complaints, let's empoy this rule, too:

- Once one can demonstrate[1] that the players last city could have been taken one stops short of taking it and orders the opponent to selfdestruct.
- Opponent selfdestructs. To selfdestruct he needs a millitary unit in the city. One activates the unit and presses B. There will be a chance to save the game and it can be sent on. On the next turn the selfdestructing player will no longer show and the game can continue without him.
Though if no one sees an extra turn as too big of a deal, we can ignore it.

Cassidy

Arcane
The University is paradoxically better as a rushing faction because early game extra drones don't matter and they can get the biggest, baddest weapons and build the most technologically advanced early game invasion force faster than anyone else if they focus their research on it.

Nevill

Arcane
The University is paradoxically better as a rushing faction because early game extra drones don't matter and they can get the biggest, baddest weapons and build the most technologically advanced early game invasion force faster than anyone else if they focus their research on it.
Their research capabilities far outstrip industrial ones.

You can get your weapons early, but most of the time you can't do anything with them. An impact rover prototype costs 50 minerals. You can't have a base larger than 2 on Transcend without a riot.

You won't be building those any time soon unless you really, really have to.

Uni has the best mid-game weapons, though, often being the first to grab Air Power.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

hqdefault.jpg

Day one: Planetfall

At last our glorious research can begin! Oh, what's that? A mindworm? Move our forces to attack! They've already moved, you say? Well, crap.

Nevill

Arcane
The game is currently on hiatus due to Lambchop being temporarily absent. Anyone wants to fill in for the University?

Edit: Auriga agreed to fill in for Lambchop.
:bunkertime:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom